Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Small pet suggestions?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I'd say birds! From my experience with budgies they don't smell as bad as some rodents do, are very intelligent, and incredibly adorable and loyal pets. Both budgies, cockatiels, and lovebirds (you have to get them in pairs, though. Most birds you do) make for amazing pets that won't overwhelm you.

Male cockatiels are very vocal and you can teach them to sing songs, budgies are a bit harder but have beautiful singing voices and make the most adorable cooing sounds.
I'd say birds! From my experience with budgies they don't smell as bad as some rodents do, are very intelligent, and incredibly adorable and loyal pets. Both budgies, cockatiels, and lovebirds (you have to get them in pairs, though. Most birds you do) make for amazing pets that won't overwhelm you.

Male cockatiels are very vocal and you can teach them to sing songs, budgies are a bit harder but have beautiful singing voices and make the most adorable cooing sounds.
I support the snail idea!! snails are fun
I support the snail idea!! snails are fun
@cadaverendish
Oh thanks! I guess since I've had cases of rescue rabbits for all 3 of my buns I felt the need to speak up about their care, lol. (not that others haven't)

Your Luna is adorable! I love those pics.

I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing indoor rabbits setups, they're great, just like I said some people act as if a hutch isn't an option at all, or simply fail to mention it because they have a house rabbit/indoor rabbit. Once on social media I had someone ask me to move my rabbits from their wire hutch to a cage with a floor that 'was better for their feet'.... :| yea, wire is fine so long as it is small enough lol. In fact, my rabbits will sit on the wire more than the mats I put in there for them...TOTALLY ruining their feet. XD

That's awesome that Luna bonds with your dogs though! I think that's really cute that it worked out between them. That one pic is great. x)

I don't want to steal the thread, so I'll stop talking lol.
@cadaverendish
Oh thanks! I guess since I've had cases of rescue rabbits for all 3 of my buns I felt the need to speak up about their care, lol. (not that others haven't)

Your Luna is adorable! I love those pics.

I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing indoor rabbits setups, they're great, just like I said some people act as if a hutch isn't an option at all, or simply fail to mention it because they have a house rabbit/indoor rabbit. Once on social media I had someone ask me to move my rabbits from their wire hutch to a cage with a floor that 'was better for their feet'.... :| yea, wire is fine so long as it is small enough lol. In fact, my rabbits will sit on the wire more than the mats I put in there for them...TOTALLY ruining their feet. XD

That's awesome that Luna bonds with your dogs though! I think that's really cute that it worked out between them. That one pic is great. x)

I don't want to steal the thread, so I'll stop talking lol.
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
Something that hasn't already been mentioned: Diamond doves ([i]Geopelia cuneata[/i]). Why not have some cute tiny pigeons? [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Diamon_dove_-_Christopher_Watson.jpg[/img] I never had ones myself, but I kinda want some in the future, so I read a lot about them. For birds, they are fairly low maintence. They don't even want to fly much, despite the fact they can, so it's usually recommended getting them a large rabbit cage instead of a bird cage. This especially makes sense since, unlike parrots, pigeons can't climb. They tend to be relatively quiet, so none of the screechyness of parrots and chattyness of finches, which might be good for a place that doesn't allow large animals (since, as far as I know, those restrictions tend to be because of noise). They do have a surprisingly powerful coo for their size though. Other than that, standard pet-bird-stuff applies. As most birds, they also want at least one friend. Always get at least two. For a human, these skittish birds can be a bit hard to socialize with, so taming them is not easy, but also not impossible.
Something that hasn't already been mentioned: Diamond doves (Geopelia cuneata). Why not have some cute tiny pigeons?
Diamon_dove_-_Christopher_Watson.jpg
I never had ones myself, but I kinda want some in the future, so I read a lot about them.
For birds, they are fairly low maintence. They don't even want to fly much, despite the fact they can, so it's usually recommended getting them a large rabbit cage instead of a bird cage. This especially makes sense since, unlike parrots, pigeons can't climb.
They tend to be relatively quiet, so none of the screechyness of parrots and chattyness of finches, which might be good for a place that doesn't allow large animals (since, as far as I know, those restrictions tend to be because of noise). They do have a surprisingly powerful coo for their size though.

Other than that, standard pet-bird-stuff applies. As most birds, they also want at least one friend. Always get at least two. For a human, these skittish birds can be a bit hard to socialize with, so taming them is not easy, but also not impossible.
Yes, yes, hello, it is my time.

May I suggest a hedgehog, if you can find one? I have two pet hedgehogs myself, and they are about the size of a hamster.

Scratch that, hedgehogs are hamsters but Poky Edition-

If you handle them enough, like all animals, they get quite friendly! I clean my hedgehogs cages once or twice a week, and play with them daily. You can feed hedgies cat food if you can't afford, find, or are just short of hedgehog specific food.

The only drawback, in your situation, is that hedgehogs are a bit harder to find, as a rarer pet.

Besides playing with them and feeding them daily, hedgehogs are really low maintenance as far as I've seen, and I've had mine for 3+ years.
If you find a hedgehog, please let me know! I love seeing them and I can share my knowledge if you'd like!
Yes, yes, hello, it is my time.

May I suggest a hedgehog, if you can find one? I have two pet hedgehogs myself, and they are about the size of a hamster.

Scratch that, hedgehogs are hamsters but Poky Edition-

If you handle them enough, like all animals, they get quite friendly! I clean my hedgehogs cages once or twice a week, and play with them daily. You can feed hedgies cat food if you can't afford, find, or are just short of hedgehog specific food.

The only drawback, in your situation, is that hedgehogs are a bit harder to find, as a rarer pet.

Besides playing with them and feeding them daily, hedgehogs are really low maintenance as far as I've seen, and I've had mine for 3+ years.
If you find a hedgehog, please let me know! I love seeing them and I can share my knowledge if you'd like!
> he him
corn snakes make very good pets, and don't get terribly big. they can live for about 15 years, as well. they eat once a week and will sometimes skip if they're not hungry or are sick. mine is sick right now with a small RI, so we have her on nose drops. aspen shavings are good for their bedding, but if they are injured or sick i recommend paper towels.

blue death-feigning beetles are great, too. i have 3 set in a little desert-themed terrarium on my dresser. they don't need water, will eat (almost) anything, are social, and will play dead when you pick them up! i've found that warming them up by breathing onto them gets them back moving. don't ask.

leopard geckos are a bit harder, as they require daily care, but are very friendly most of the time. they need 2 or more hides, one above a heating mat on the bottom of the enclosure, and the other on the cooler side of the enclosure, preferably with moss that you should mist every day. they will eat mealworms, crickets, and some other insects. they can be kept together when younger but if you have 2 older males or 2 older male & female, consider getting a separate enclosure for the other so they either don't mate or don't fight. of course, if you're a breeder, you could keep them together.
corn snakes make very good pets, and don't get terribly big. they can live for about 15 years, as well. they eat once a week and will sometimes skip if they're not hungry or are sick. mine is sick right now with a small RI, so we have her on nose drops. aspen shavings are good for their bedding, but if they are injured or sick i recommend paper towels.

blue death-feigning beetles are great, too. i have 3 set in a little desert-themed terrarium on my dresser. they don't need water, will eat (almost) anything, are social, and will play dead when you pick them up! i've found that warming them up by breathing onto them gets them back moving. don't ask.

leopard geckos are a bit harder, as they require daily care, but are very friendly most of the time. they need 2 or more hides, one above a heating mat on the bottom of the enclosure, and the other on the cooler side of the enclosure, preferably with moss that you should mist every day. they will eat mealworms, crickets, and some other insects. they can be kept together when younger but if you have 2 older males or 2 older male & female, consider getting a separate enclosure for the other so they either don't mate or don't fight. of course, if you're a breeder, you could keep them together.
37706498.png
plague_small.png
Hello yes I have many small pets.

Leopard geckos are great! They're quiet, easy to clean up after as they pick one spot to potty in, and generally are pretty easy to handle. They do require feeding of live insects and a heating pad, and since their tanks are more horizontal than vertical, they take up a bit more space than similar sized arboreal lizards.

I also have a crested gecko. His tank is vertical and takes up a lot less space than my leo's, but I find that his personality isn't as nice as my leopard gecko's. He's a little more flighty and can jump, but I've never had any aggression issues. He eats a mixture of live insects and powdered/reconstituted crested gecko diet, but many people feed just the diet and no insects. They're also okay at most room temperatures, but a heating pad might be needed depending on your home's temperature. They require higher humidity than leopard geckos and their whole tank needs a daily misting.

Mice! I'm obsessed with my mice. They're packed with personality and females live well in groups. I could spend hours watching these guys; all the fun of rats in a fraction of the space. They're not as teachable or as "sit down and cuddly" as rats, but they're still friendly and love to beg for treats and to explore. They do require regular cleaning or they'll get stinky pretty quickly, though.

Tarantulas! The ultimate in quiet, space saving pets. Mine lives in an Exo-terra Nano, but the size of your habitat will change depending on what species you get. In general, terrestrial species are a little bit slower and easier to handle, but there are a ton of great beginner species. These guys are another pet that requires live insects, but most eat readily and cleaning only needs done every couple months in most cases.

I've also kept a ton of fish. Just be sure to do lots of research about setting up your tank, appropriately sized tanks for the fish you want, and how to maintain water quality before you dive into that world. They're a ton of fun and addictive to keep!

Let me know if you have any questions about any of these guys. :D
Hello yes I have many small pets.

Leopard geckos are great! They're quiet, easy to clean up after as they pick one spot to potty in, and generally are pretty easy to handle. They do require feeding of live insects and a heating pad, and since their tanks are more horizontal than vertical, they take up a bit more space than similar sized arboreal lizards.

I also have a crested gecko. His tank is vertical and takes up a lot less space than my leo's, but I find that his personality isn't as nice as my leopard gecko's. He's a little more flighty and can jump, but I've never had any aggression issues. He eats a mixture of live insects and powdered/reconstituted crested gecko diet, but many people feed just the diet and no insects. They're also okay at most room temperatures, but a heating pad might be needed depending on your home's temperature. They require higher humidity than leopard geckos and their whole tank needs a daily misting.

Mice! I'm obsessed with my mice. They're packed with personality and females live well in groups. I could spend hours watching these guys; all the fun of rats in a fraction of the space. They're not as teachable or as "sit down and cuddly" as rats, but they're still friendly and love to beg for treats and to explore. They do require regular cleaning or they'll get stinky pretty quickly, though.

Tarantulas! The ultimate in quiet, space saving pets. Mine lives in an Exo-terra Nano, but the size of your habitat will change depending on what species you get. In general, terrestrial species are a little bit slower and easier to handle, but there are a ton of great beginner species. These guys are another pet that requires live insects, but most eat readily and cleaning only needs done every couple months in most cases.

I've also kept a ton of fish. Just be sure to do lots of research about setting up your tank, appropriately sized tanks for the fish you want, and how to maintain water quality before you dive into that world. They're a ton of fun and addictive to keep!

Let me know if you have any questions about any of these guys. :D
If you want something low maintenance, I'd suggest looking into getting some stick insects if you're ok with large bugs (though depending on the species you get, keep an eye on the population as they can multiply quickly, females are capable of laying fertile eggs without needing a mate.)

If you want something low maintenance, I'd suggest looking into getting some stick insects if you're ok with large bugs (though depending on the species you get, keep an eye on the population as they can multiply quickly, females are capable of laying fertile eggs without needing a mate.)

forumsig_by_plantfeathers-datch91.png
Go for a reptile if you can. Smaller snakes and lizards make pretty good pets. They sometimes have a smell, but it isn't as strong as that of some rodents. Crested Geckos can be fed a specialized wet food with slight insect supplements if you're worried about bugs.

Birds are definitely not a good idea though, especially parrotlets or budgies. They don't live very long in an enclosed space and need lots of room to fly around and plenty of socialization. Also it's a pain to find a good diet for them since pet stores only carry pellets and seed which is like feeding your bird only french fries.

I'm kinda biased on this but I also recommend a Marimo - very low maintenance little fellows who require just a nice container of water! Not the most interesting pet but certainly a very cute one
Go for a reptile if you can. Smaller snakes and lizards make pretty good pets. They sometimes have a smell, but it isn't as strong as that of some rodents. Crested Geckos can be fed a specialized wet food with slight insect supplements if you're worried about bugs.

Birds are definitely not a good idea though, especially parrotlets or budgies. They don't live very long in an enclosed space and need lots of room to fly around and plenty of socialization. Also it's a pain to find a good diet for them since pet stores only carry pellets and seed which is like feeding your bird only french fries.

I'm kinda biased on this but I also recommend a Marimo - very low maintenance little fellows who require just a nice container of water! Not the most interesting pet but certainly a very cute one
AvatarofAkatosh-cropped.png I tried to make an aesthetic signature but it broke :(
[quote name="Homuncullus" date="2019-04-16 08:32:21" ] Go for a reptile if you can. Smaller snakes and lizards make pretty good pets. They sometimes have a smell, but it isn't as strong as that of some rodents. Crested Geckos can be fed a specialized wet food with slight insect supplements if you're worried about bugs. Birds are definitely not a good idea though, especially parrotlets or budgies. They don't live very long in an enclosed space and need lots of room to fly around and plenty of socialization. Also it's a pain to find a good diet for them since pet stores only carry pellets and seed which is like feeding your bird only french fries. I'm kinda biased on this but I also recommend a Marimo - very low maintenance little fellows who require just a nice container of water! Not the most interesting pet but certainly a very cute one [/quote] @Homuncullus I understand the "need space" part for birds I need to disagree with that my friend had a budgie that lived for 14-15 years in a enclosed space they got the wings clipped cause they didn't want it hurting itself they only wanted one bird but it was very well socialized I'm not trying to be rude or anything I'm just putting my two cents in there.
Homuncullus wrote on 2019-04-16 08:32:21:

@Homuncullus

I understand the "need space" part for birds I need to disagree with that my friend had a budgie that lived for 14-15 years in a enclosed space they got the wings clipped cause they didn't want it hurting itself they only wanted one bird but it was very well socialized I'm not trying to be rude or anything I'm just putting my two cents in there.
rsz-rsz-1hatchery.png rsz-brewing.png art-shop-2.png B7aT9QH.png flB6EWm.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8