Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [Hub] Taxidermy, Skulls, and More!
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37
update on the raccoon

it was super gross but we needed to transfer it

uhh it was still bloated and wouldnt fit in the 5 gallon bucket so we got a 30 gallon bucket to put it in. it was the worst smell ive smelled yet and all the hair fell off and we made our own montauk monster. 0/10 do not recommend going in the maceration water like that. the results better be amazing, were just going to let this monstrosity sit now.
update on the raccoon

it was super gross but we needed to transfer it

uhh it was still bloated and wouldnt fit in the 5 gallon bucket so we got a 30 gallon bucket to put it in. it was the worst smell ive smelled yet and all the hair fell off and we made our own montauk monster. 0/10 do not recommend going in the maceration water like that. the results better be amazing, were just going to let this monstrosity sit now.
8VvjJ9p.png
Me and @kuchipatchis got a mouse on our dog's walk tonight! Well, half a mouse. Its the top half though, so a skull will be coming!
first time for a mouse of any extent though, we have three rats, but never had a mouse. fortunately, we had dog poop bags on us, and i was able to pick it up in no time at all, exactly like dog poop lol.
Unfortunately for me, it was outside a house that we got our first ever rat, where I almost got someone"called" on me (rats are larger than mice, a poop bag wouldn't work, and i was left standing guard outside random house at 9:00 PM in all black while kuchipatchis got a larger bag and for some reason the neighbor was creeped out). Not sure who she was going to "call", but luckily we were in and out this time around so I don't think we were noticed. Always awkward when people notice you manhandling dead animals...
Me and @kuchipatchis got a mouse on our dog's walk tonight! Well, half a mouse. Its the top half though, so a skull will be coming!
first time for a mouse of any extent though, we have three rats, but never had a mouse. fortunately, we had dog poop bags on us, and i was able to pick it up in no time at all, exactly like dog poop lol.
Unfortunately for me, it was outside a house that we got our first ever rat, where I almost got someone"called" on me (rats are larger than mice, a poop bag wouldn't work, and i was left standing guard outside random house at 9:00 PM in all black while kuchipatchis got a larger bag and for some reason the neighbor was creeped out). Not sure who she was going to "call", but luckily we were in and out this time around so I don't think we were noticed. Always awkward when people notice you manhandling dead animals...
@LizardKing

Haha, if someone said something you could have just told them you were doing everyone a favor and getting rid of the dead rat!

--
My half-sister is going to be building a rot box! So that should be interesting~ I'll try to keep you updated on that one :D
@LizardKing

Haha, if someone said something you could have just told them you were doing everyone a favor and getting rid of the dead rat!

--
My half-sister is going to be building a rot box! So that should be interesting~ I'll try to keep you updated on that one :D
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
@BeeFuzz

I did explain we were just picking up a dead rat eventually, and since no one was called on me I think it worked lol

Oh dude that's going to be exciting! I hope it works well for you, and hell I might need some tips because of our soil issues going on rn. Really hope you can rot down some nice bones with that, sounds like fun
@BeeFuzz

I did explain we were just picking up a dead rat eventually, and since no one was called on me I think it worked lol

Oh dude that's going to be exciting! I hope it works well for you, and hell I might need some tips because of our soil issues going on rn. Really hope you can rot down some nice bones with that, sounds like fun
@LizardKing

I'll be sure to ask for her tips on it~ It is legal in our state -since 2013- to collect most things found accidentally dead/already killed. Only deer and turkey have special permits required, but bears are a no-no all the way!

I'm tempted to go around my "neighborhood" to tell those around that if they have any small deads that I'd gladly take them off their land and hands, but I dunno how many people out here frequently find things dead. I miss our old neighborhood, there are rarely any squirrels for me to check out. I wonder if my mom would be okay with me buying a cooler and sticking it in her trunk... and then picking up the rare dead critter here and there. We've got mice in the house though, already got one, so I might request that my dad let me take one to reduce to bone as to honor it. (Dunno if I'd bury it or go for maceration. -My mom wouldn't like the maceration idea, but it would be my dead lol) *She and her boss agree that Macerate doesn't sound like a nice word, but that's what you do to strawberries when you add sugar*
@LizardKing

I'll be sure to ask for her tips on it~ It is legal in our state -since 2013- to collect most things found accidentally dead/already killed. Only deer and turkey have special permits required, but bears are a no-no all the way!

I'm tempted to go around my "neighborhood" to tell those around that if they have any small deads that I'd gladly take them off their land and hands, but I dunno how many people out here frequently find things dead. I miss our old neighborhood, there are rarely any squirrels for me to check out. I wonder if my mom would be okay with me buying a cooler and sticking it in her trunk... and then picking up the rare dead critter here and there. We've got mice in the house though, already got one, so I might request that my dad let me take one to reduce to bone as to honor it. (Dunno if I'd bury it or go for maceration. -My mom wouldn't like the maceration idea, but it would be my dead lol) *She and her boss agree that Macerate doesn't sound like a nice word, but that's what you do to strawberries when you add sugar*
@BeeFuzz

Nice, you could hypothetically have pretty big stuff like foxes and coyotes then, right? Those would be some ****** skulls

What we do with kuchipatchis' car if have at least a box of garbage bags and gloves in the car at all times, but also often a Styrofoam cooler. Always the bags though. And the thing is with garbage bags/gloves, they can be used for anything. There have been times I've just used those bags for actual trash and garbage in the car and not dead things lol. The bags will take up less space too, so if your mom isn't okay with the cooler in the trunk I think that should work decently. Though coolers can be a real blessing if the animals fits in it, makes the smell almost non-existent in the car.

Macerate is becoming a really gross word for me too tbh, I just associate it with dead stuff too much. Its weird when I'm looking in soapmaking or homebrewing circles and see "maceration" and automatically think "ew no gross not here"
That being said, I really like maceration and think it'd be best for the mouse, its such a small thing and you can really easily lose bones with burial.
@BeeFuzz

Nice, you could hypothetically have pretty big stuff like foxes and coyotes then, right? Those would be some ****** skulls

What we do with kuchipatchis' car if have at least a box of garbage bags and gloves in the car at all times, but also often a Styrofoam cooler. Always the bags though. And the thing is with garbage bags/gloves, they can be used for anything. There have been times I've just used those bags for actual trash and garbage in the car and not dead things lol. The bags will take up less space too, so if your mom isn't okay with the cooler in the trunk I think that should work decently. Though coolers can be a real blessing if the animals fits in it, makes the smell almost non-existent in the car.

Macerate is becoming a really gross word for me too tbh, I just associate it with dead stuff too much. Its weird when I'm looking in soapmaking or homebrewing circles and see "maceration" and automatically think "ew no gross not here"
That being said, I really like maceration and think it'd be best for the mouse, its such a small thing and you can really easily lose bones with burial.
@LizardKing

If they happened to be in place where I could get them! I've seen a couple of skunks, but I don't it'd fly for me to be like: "Hey mom, can I pick this skunk up and toss it in the trunk?" because she's got an SUV, so there isn't really any separation between the trunk and the rest of the car, just a row of seats lol. My half-sister isn't shy about it, said she'd stick things in her trunk to bring to me lol.

If I can get enough deads though I'll hopefully be able to get my paws on some beetles to speed the process. I'm also hoping to convince my mom to buy a shed of some sort so I have a small workshop to store supplies and stuff needed in, as well as bones to clean.

I told my sister once that I should buy a machete so that if something dead happens to be in our yard I can just hack the head off and take that -don't get me wrong all the bones are cool, but I'm mostly in it for skulls-

***ALSO: A couple of months back we found a skeleton in our yard, I "dug" it up with a dog would, but with my shoe... I pushed the grass and dirt back and the used gloves to pick up the bones, it was just about the whole creature!
@LizardKing

If they happened to be in place where I could get them! I've seen a couple of skunks, but I don't it'd fly for me to be like: "Hey mom, can I pick this skunk up and toss it in the trunk?" because she's got an SUV, so there isn't really any separation between the trunk and the rest of the car, just a row of seats lol. My half-sister isn't shy about it, said she'd stick things in her trunk to bring to me lol.

If I can get enough deads though I'll hopefully be able to get my paws on some beetles to speed the process. I'm also hoping to convince my mom to buy a shed of some sort so I have a small workshop to store supplies and stuff needed in, as well as bones to clean.

I told my sister once that I should buy a machete so that if something dead happens to be in our yard I can just hack the head off and take that -don't get me wrong all the bones are cool, but I'm mostly in it for skulls-

***ALSO: A couple of months back we found a skeleton in our yard, I "dug" it up with a dog would, but with my shoe... I pushed the grass and dirt back and the used gloves to pick up the bones, it was just about the whole creature!
I forgot that I have a pinning block and insect pins on the way!!
I'll finally be able to pop that Butterfly outta the freezer and pin her :o She's got a bit of wing damage -my sister found her being eaten/chewed on by some /fire/ ants a few weeks back -maybe a month and a half at most-, so I used a chunk of bark and some loose pine needle to get her up to the house so I could baggy her up and stick her in the freezer. Shout out to my mom and dad for letting me keep her in there so long!

I'll take pictures of her when I get her all pinned up. Hopefully I don't botch this too terribly lol

I'll take before and afters /her before pinning and post pinning/~
I forgot forceps /)(OoO')(\ oh well, I'll find something to do about that...
I forgot that I have a pinning block and insect pins on the way!!
I'll finally be able to pop that Butterfly outta the freezer and pin her :o She's got a bit of wing damage -my sister found her being eaten/chewed on by some /fire/ ants a few weeks back -maybe a month and a half at most-, so I used a chunk of bark and some loose pine needle to get her up to the house so I could baggy her up and stick her in the freezer. Shout out to my mom and dad for letting me keep her in there so long!

I'll take pictures of her when I get her all pinned up. Hopefully I don't botch this too terribly lol

I'll take before and afters /her before pinning and post pinning/~
I forgot forceps /)(OoO')(\ oh well, I'll find something to do about that...
@BeeFuzz

Yeah I get the skull thing, I feel like if I ever run into a roadkill boar or something I'll just get my hacksaw and decapitate it. But do you think the machete could cut though bone? I guess if it could cut though tough wood why not... alright I need to make sure to have a machete on hand just in case

Do you know what the skeleton is of? Good thing you have the full thing though, that's a cool find and should make IDing it pretty easy

And oh yes, I'd love to see how that butterfly will come out, sounds like it might have some damage but I feel what's re important is getting the technique and skill right. And I'm sure cosmetic tweezers could replace forceps in a pinch, right? As long as they are delicate it might work
@BeeFuzz

Yeah I get the skull thing, I feel like if I ever run into a roadkill boar or something I'll just get my hacksaw and decapitate it. But do you think the machete could cut though bone? I guess if it could cut though tough wood why not... alright I need to make sure to have a machete on hand just in case

Do you know what the skeleton is of? Good thing you have the full thing though, that's a cool find and should make IDing it pretty easy

And oh yes, I'd love to see how that butterfly will come out, sounds like it might have some damage but I feel what's re important is getting the technique and skill right. And I'm sure cosmetic tweezers could replace forceps in a pinch, right? As long as they are delicate it might work
@LizardKing

Haha, yeah, the poor thing was being eaten on by the ants when we happened across it. I don't mind the damage, it is a nice one to get started on though! I still have to get a shadow box for it, but I've got my pins and pinning block -thank you 2-day shipping!-

-
I'm thinking it might be some sort of farm animals, some of the bones were pretty rough when I found them, they'd been ran over a few times, luckily they didn't get ground up by the tractor and mower. I got a bunch of ribs and vertebrata. While I was removing it the skull started to fall to pieces, and I only managed to snag a couple teeth. My sister who is very much against taxidermy-from bones to furs- was super excited to see it herself lol she really enjoyed pointing out what bone was what haha.
@LizardKing

Haha, yeah, the poor thing was being eaten on by the ants when we happened across it. I don't mind the damage, it is a nice one to get started on though! I still have to get a shadow box for it, but I've got my pins and pinning block -thank you 2-day shipping!-

-
I'm thinking it might be some sort of farm animals, some of the bones were pretty rough when I found them, they'd been ran over a few times, luckily they didn't get ground up by the tractor and mower. I got a bunch of ribs and vertebrata. While I was removing it the skull started to fall to pieces, and I only managed to snag a couple teeth. My sister who is very much against taxidermy-from bones to furs- was super excited to see it herself lol she really enjoyed pointing out what bone was what haha.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36 37