Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Quilt Heirloom
So, I've been in a quilting frenzy mood lately so I've been going a bit crazy with finding quilt patterns! (Though, I should really finish the quilt I'm working on....>_> I will! I just need the seam ripper that I ordered. I dunno how I lost all my seam rippers. ;-;)

Anyway! (Going off topic) A lot of bloggers who post these patterns are like "ready to make your next family heirloom" and whatnot so this made me curious, does anyone actually have a hand-me-down family-made quilt? Or not family-made, I guess. As long as it's a quilt and passed down from someone to someone I guess it fits. (Btw, it's midnight where I am and I had a small nap so I'm in a weird-scattered mood, apologizes!)

So, got any family heirloom quilts?
So, I've been in a quilting frenzy mood lately so I've been going a bit crazy with finding quilt patterns! (Though, I should really finish the quilt I'm working on....>_> I will! I just need the seam ripper that I ordered. I dunno how I lost all my seam rippers. ;-;)

Anyway! (Going off topic) A lot of bloggers who post these patterns are like "ready to make your next family heirloom" and whatnot so this made me curious, does anyone actually have a hand-me-down family-made quilt? Or not family-made, I guess. As long as it's a quilt and passed down from someone to someone I guess it fits. (Btw, it's midnight where I am and I had a small nap so I'm in a weird-scattered mood, apologizes!)

So, got any family heirloom quilts?
SYJDX48.png
@BloodyAngel12

My grandmother has a quilt that was made by her grandmother, and she plans to pass it down to me since I once told her that it was my most favorite quilt in the world, it only makes it more special to me to know that a family member I have never/will never met had touched it, that my great grandmother put her heart into the stitching and I can now touch it generations later.

It probably sounds stupid to you, but it means a whole deal to me, haha.

((Also love the username! Is it perhaps taken from the amazing/beautiful Avatar song?))
@BloodyAngel12

My grandmother has a quilt that was made by her grandmother, and she plans to pass it down to me since I once told her that it was my most favorite quilt in the world, it only makes it more special to me to know that a family member I have never/will never met had touched it, that my great grandmother put her heart into the stitching and I can now touch it generations later.

It probably sounds stupid to you, but it means a whole deal to me, haha.

((Also love the username! Is it perhaps taken from the amazing/beautiful Avatar song?))
I || E A T || H U M A N || T E E T H
wolf_skull_icon__free_to_use__by_akumiirako-dbl6hi8.png
Someone i knew/know has one. God... what was it, mightve been a friend. Idk
Someone i knew/know has one. God... what was it, mightve been a friend. Idk
@Rotver

That's super cool! I have none which is why I'm so curious about others! It's super cool that you have something someone in your family made ages ago. I am currently making my first quilt (that I've made on my own. I have a failed attempt one in my closest from a class but no one speaks of it. Shhh) and I don't know if it'll last that long, but it would be super cool if it got passed down generations. (I plan on embroidering the date onto it when it's finished so I guess I can see later down the line lol)

I would love it if you could post a picture of it! How old do you think your great grandmother was when she made the quilt? Do you know? (or a rough estimate since it was so long ago?)

((Thanks! And nope. I think I got the inspiration from this song that was 'nightcore-d' with a picture on the screen of this angel girl thing. Ah, crappy explanation. Oh! I found the video so you can see for yourself. Not sure where I got the exact idea but I think the idea was sparked from this)

@Kalante

Ah, cool. ^^
@Rotver

That's super cool! I have none which is why I'm so curious about others! It's super cool that you have something someone in your family made ages ago. I am currently making my first quilt (that I've made on my own. I have a failed attempt one in my closest from a class but no one speaks of it. Shhh) and I don't know if it'll last that long, but it would be super cool if it got passed down generations. (I plan on embroidering the date onto it when it's finished so I guess I can see later down the line lol)

I would love it if you could post a picture of it! How old do you think your great grandmother was when she made the quilt? Do you know? (or a rough estimate since it was so long ago?)

((Thanks! And nope. I think I got the inspiration from this song that was 'nightcore-d' with a picture on the screen of this angel girl thing. Ah, crappy explanation. Oh! I found the video so you can see for yourself. Not sure where I got the exact idea but I think the idea was sparked from this)

@Kalante

Ah, cool. ^^
SYJDX48.png
@BloodyAngel12

Kindof. My grandma has a simple quilt that is made with panels cut from her mother's dresses, and I'm sure it will one day be an heirloom since we're not likely to let it out of the family. She had the quilt made by one of my grandpa's sisters after her mother died. Bright colourful panels arranged radially like flower petals and repeating on a white background. I don't have pictures of the actual quilt, but the pictures on this page look similar.

Grandma doesn't quilt but she does crochet. She made afghan blankets for all of us grandkids. Very cozy.
@BloodyAngel12

Kindof. My grandma has a simple quilt that is made with panels cut from her mother's dresses, and I'm sure it will one day be an heirloom since we're not likely to let it out of the family. She had the quilt made by one of my grandpa's sisters after her mother died. Bright colourful panels arranged radially like flower petals and repeating on a white background. I don't have pictures of the actual quilt, but the pictures on this page look similar.

Grandma doesn't quilt but she does crochet. She made afghan blankets for all of us grandkids. Very cozy.
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
@miirshroom

Huh, that kind of sounds like a heirloom to me. #doesn'tactuallyknowwhatqualifiesasaheirlom

Either way it's pretty cool! (Btw, the link just laid me to place where it wanted me to put my email in -- so I did a fake one and it just led me to subscription areas *pouts*)
@miirshroom

Huh, that kind of sounds like a heirloom to me. #doesn'tactuallyknowwhatqualifiesasaheirlom

Either way it's pretty cool! (Btw, the link just laid me to place where it wanted me to put my email in -- so I did a fake one and it just led me to subscription areas *pouts*)
SYJDX48.png
@BloodyAngel12 huh, it still shows up as the thing for me. Anyways if you Google search "Dresden plates" I think that's the name of the pattern.
@BloodyAngel12 huh, it still shows up as the thing for me. Anyways if you Google search "Dresden plates" I think that's the name of the pattern.
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
@miirshroom

Oh wow! That seems like a super cool (kind of complicated) pattern! Pretty cool *two thumbs up*
@miirshroom

Oh wow! That seems like a super cool (kind of complicated) pattern! Pretty cool *two thumbs up*
SYJDX48.png