Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Suggestions?
1 2 3
I would like to read some books but don't know any to read so I was wondering if any people on Flight Rising had some suggestions.

I like fantasy but will read almost anything unless it is really creepy horror or is pretty inappropriate.

Please ping me so I see your suggestion
I would like to read some books but don't know any to read so I was wondering if any people on Flight Rising had some suggestions.

I like fantasy but will read almost anything unless it is really creepy horror or is pretty inappropriate.

Please ping me so I see your suggestion
OXwaq2J.png
i have a really weird taste but if you'd ask me The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho is one of the best books ever written, maybe you've read it already cause it's quite wel know. but if you haven't i think you should try readin it.
i also really enjoyed reading lycidas and lilith by christoph marzi, espescially lycidas. if you like fantasy you should give those a shot. it's not the cliché kind.
i have a really weird taste but if you'd ask me The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho is one of the best books ever written, maybe you've read it already cause it's quite wel know. but if you haven't i think you should try readin it.
i also really enjoyed reading lycidas and lilith by christoph marzi, espescially lycidas. if you like fantasy you should give those a shot. it's not the cliché kind.
If you're a fan of fantasy, definitely check out The Summer King Chronicles by Jess E. Owen! You can buy her books on amazon or on her site. If the hardcover versions are too pricy for you, you can always order the paperbacks (or get the kindle versin). I own both hardcover and paperback versions of the books, and both look equally stunning and have the same quality! The books have a handful of well-written, three dimensional characters and a lot of worldbuilding in them, they're fantastic!

Other books I always recommend are Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams, Watership Down by Richard Adams and Firebringer by David Clement-Davies. The last two have some brutal scenes in them, though, so if you're not a fan of that, I'd say stay away from them.
If you're a fan of fantasy, definitely check out The Summer King Chronicles by Jess E. Owen! You can buy her books on amazon or on her site. If the hardcover versions are too pricy for you, you can always order the paperbacks (or get the kindle versin). I own both hardcover and paperback versions of the books, and both look equally stunning and have the same quality! The books have a handful of well-written, three dimensional characters and a lot of worldbuilding in them, they're fantastic!

Other books I always recommend are Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams, Watership Down by Richard Adams and Firebringer by David Clement-Davies. The last two have some brutal scenes in them, though, so if you're not a fan of that, I'd say stay away from them.
iIrk1Wj.png
Here are some good fantasy series/books:
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull -Lovely childrens fantasy series, feels like Harry Potter at bit. Fair warning that this series has a lot of undead in it so if thats not your thing I wouldnt read it(its not too bad but the second book and the final book have some graphic descriptions of them so yeah)

The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'lacey- About dragons, its very charming and the dragons are mostly good. The last few books have some heavy unreality though so again warning on that.

The Twistrose Key- Im currently reading this one! Charming and sweet, but mentions of pet death in it and I havent finished it yet so I dont know if there is anything in the ending I should mention.

Dragon Orb Series- also dragons are mostly good, its a really nice quest-fantasy. Graphic injuries/violence though so be careful

Avalon: Web of Magic- a sort of book magical girl series with multiverse shenanigans, good characters, and charming storytelling.

Wings of Fire- dragons, warrior cats but with dragons. Its very good and the characters are very well done. The world building is fantastic and the plot twists werent predictable like most novels either. Its got some descriptions of violence throughout and the first book deals with abuse so a warning on that.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, hope this helps!
Here are some good fantasy series/books:
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull -Lovely childrens fantasy series, feels like Harry Potter at bit. Fair warning that this series has a lot of undead in it so if thats not your thing I wouldnt read it(its not too bad but the second book and the final book have some graphic descriptions of them so yeah)

The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'lacey- About dragons, its very charming and the dragons are mostly good. The last few books have some heavy unreality though so again warning on that.

The Twistrose Key- Im currently reading this one! Charming and sweet, but mentions of pet death in it and I havent finished it yet so I dont know if there is anything in the ending I should mention.

Dragon Orb Series- also dragons are mostly good, its a really nice quest-fantasy. Graphic injuries/violence though so be careful

Avalon: Web of Magic- a sort of book magical girl series with multiverse shenanigans, good characters, and charming storytelling.

Wings of Fire- dragons, warrior cats but with dragons. Its very good and the characters are very well done. The world building is fantastic and the plot twists werent predictable like most novels either. Its got some descriptions of violence throughout and the first book deals with abuse so a warning on that.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, hope this helps!
±
They/Them | FrT +3
tumblr_inline_og1428X8wh1so6t4z_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_og141lJTzb1so6t4z_75sq.pngtumblr_inline_og1428X8wh1so6t4z_75sq.png
@Verwald The Underland Chronicles. Definitely Underland.

1. Giant talking creatures
2. Underground civilization
3. It's written by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games author)
4. Protagonist actually thinks for himself for once opposed to blindly following some authority
5. Will make you cry so darn much. It's beautiful.
@Verwald The Underland Chronicles. Definitely Underland.

1. Giant talking creatures
2. Underground civilization
3. It's written by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games author)
4. Protagonist actually thinks for himself for once opposed to blindly following some authority
5. Will make you cry so darn much. It's beautiful.
Pink-Tail Mole Downy Fox Rat Skycat Fawn Fox Rat Silky Mole
Near-Completed Bestiary Progress
(Username is REDLASUNSHOWERS)
Seconding Watership Down and Firebringer b/c they're great. Also The first three book of the Last Dragon Chronicles are pretty solid and quick reads but the rest of the series is ...okay. I couldn't bring myself to finish it due how nonsensically weird it gets.

Other suggestions.
Guardians of Ga'Hoole-Kathryn Lasky. Like owls even a little? Then you should check it out. They're quick reads and there's a lot of them but seriously it's wonderful fantasy series.
The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica by James A Owen-A fantasy that draws a lot from myth.
Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell-A very long but awesome fantasy book set during the Napoleonic Wars.
Seconding Watership Down and Firebringer b/c they're great. Also The first three book of the Last Dragon Chronicles are pretty solid and quick reads but the rest of the series is ...okay. I couldn't bring myself to finish it due how nonsensically weird it gets.

Other suggestions.
Guardians of Ga'Hoole-Kathryn Lasky. Like owls even a little? Then you should check it out. They're quick reads and there's a lot of them but seriously it's wonderful fantasy series.
The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica by James A Owen-A fantasy that draws a lot from myth.
Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell-A very long but awesome fantasy book set during the Napoleonic Wars.
[quote name="wolfieington" date=2016-04-05 17:23:32] Other suggestions. Guardians of Ga'Hoole-Kathryn Lasky. Like owls even a little? Then you should check it out. They're quick reads and there's a lot of them but seriously it's wonderful fantasy series. [/quote] @Verwald Seconding this, it's a really good series!
wolfieington wrote on 2016-04-05:
Other suggestions.

@Verwald

Seconding this, it's a really good series!
____

fr +1 | she/they
skins | adopts
xJIb1S3.png
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley is really really good! It's got some fantasy/sci-fi stuff going on and is a favorite of mine!
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley is really really good! It's got some fantasy/sci-fi stuff going on and is a favorite of mine!
hourglass.gifYou'll be okayhourglass.gif
@Verwald

You neeed to read Beanstalk by E. Jade Lomax. It is soooo beautiful and has the most amazing characters. Like seriously. Extra bonus, it's completely free! The author put ebooks up for free! It is so beautifully written and makes the characters feel so real. It's just amazing. It's the first in a trilogy too, so if you like it you get to see more of the beautiful characters.

http://ejadelomax.com/leaguesandlegends/beanstalk/

Please try it. It is so wonderfully written and I can't even explain how much I love it.
@Verwald

You neeed to read Beanstalk by E. Jade Lomax. It is soooo beautiful and has the most amazing characters. Like seriously. Extra bonus, it's completely free! The author put ebooks up for free! It is so beautifully written and makes the characters feel so real. It's just amazing. It's the first in a trilogy too, so if you like it you get to see more of the beautiful characters.

http://ejadelomax.com/leaguesandlegends/beanstalk/

Please try it. It is so wonderfully written and I can't even explain how much I love it.
@Verwald
I have a few recommendations!

Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is excellent, there's a lot of world building and complex characters. Plus super awesome, varied, diverse female leads from the get go! The main character, Celaena, is awesome, and Princess Nehemia is incredible (and my fav). And that's just the first book. It starts off a bit love triangle-y in the first one, but by the second that's preeeeeettty much done with so take that as you will. Currently, up to the fourth book has been published, I *think* the fifth comes out in September?

Air Awakens is another female lead fantasy, this one's by Elise Kova. Think Avatar the Last Airbender meets high fantasy. Elemental magic plays a big role in this one, and the fourth book out of five comes out later this month, and the fifth in July!

Both do get into some adult themes, but they are still young adult. I'd say pg-13.

If you are at all into fairy tale retellings (I'm working on a big thesis about these so I have a LOT of recommendations), I suggest Entwined, a version of the 12 dancing princesses by Heather Dixon.
Or, for another, but still very different, version of the same story, Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George was excellent and had two very fun sequels, Princess of Glass and Princess of the Silver Wood, retellings of Cinderella and Little Red Riding hood, respectively.

And then, for short, fluffy, and cute, K.M. Shea's Timeless Fairytale series is a nice set of short novels giving a variety of fairytales the YA treatment. They could all very easily be standalone, but there are details in each that connect them all. These are self published, however, so some of the editing is a bit off.

Hope those help!
@Verwald
I have a few recommendations!

Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is excellent, there's a lot of world building and complex characters. Plus super awesome, varied, diverse female leads from the get go! The main character, Celaena, is awesome, and Princess Nehemia is incredible (and my fav). And that's just the first book. It starts off a bit love triangle-y in the first one, but by the second that's preeeeeettty much done with so take that as you will. Currently, up to the fourth book has been published, I *think* the fifth comes out in September?

Air Awakens is another female lead fantasy, this one's by Elise Kova. Think Avatar the Last Airbender meets high fantasy. Elemental magic plays a big role in this one, and the fourth book out of five comes out later this month, and the fifth in July!

Both do get into some adult themes, but they are still young adult. I'd say pg-13.

If you are at all into fairy tale retellings (I'm working on a big thesis about these so I have a LOT of recommendations), I suggest Entwined, a version of the 12 dancing princesses by Heather Dixon.
Or, for another, but still very different, version of the same story, Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George was excellent and had two very fun sequels, Princess of Glass and Princess of the Silver Wood, retellings of Cinderella and Little Red Riding hood, respectively.

And then, for short, fluffy, and cute, K.M. Shea's Timeless Fairytale series is a nice set of short novels giving a variety of fairytales the YA treatment. They could all very easily be standalone, but there are details in each that connect them all. These are self published, however, so some of the editing is a bit off.

Hope those help!
EBs1WDl.png
1 2 3