Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I have one year to make $2500. [STORY]
1 2
What's YOUR goal? : D

Hello, General Discussion and curious Art Sale folks! I'm making this thread for a couple reasons. First of all, I like discussions and I like goals. So I'd love to hear about your similar planned projects and ambitions. Secondly, I need a place on FR to put my story, for those who ask to hear it. So, with a warning for TRIGGERS regarding depression, anxiety and suicide, I will tell it.
This is my story.

I go by Alie, and I was born in Venezuela, a third world Latin American country, settled near the equator, about a month after an important man named Hugo Chavez came into command. My family decided to flee the country for a better life in the States, when I was just a baby. We quickly grew accustomed to a kind, suburban life, and I grew up speaking 95% English. I could only understand a bit of Spanish, and loathed speaking it, as I had a very childish accent.

What I did love doing was art. I would draw constantly and write stories everyday, when I wasn't acting them out in my backyard or with my stuffed animals. Creating art became my first love, and my first passion. I grew up happily for the most part, with a vivid imagination and a supportive family. I had a dream career in mind of becoming a famous author and illustrator of my own books.

But as we know, dreams change, and often get pushed away, when we encounter obstacles that seem to overshadow them.

When I was ten years old, my family's visa expired, and we were forced to move back to our homeland, which was still under the command of Chavistas, as it had been for ten years, and would continue to be for several more. I left the snug, fairytale life, and only one I'd ever known, and stepped into a crime-ridden nation in shambles. My family was left in a grim financial situation. For almost two years, we lived in debt, in a house that wasn't ours, with my parents unemployed until my older sisters, only eighteen, had to take charge and use their English skills to support our family.

And me? I had been put in a gang-filled school, to receive an education in a language I didn't know how to speak - a language I hated speaking. And being forced to learn it, I began to hate it even more. Whenever I opened my mouth, people would laugh at my thick accent. I hated speaking. So I stayed quiet, and observed with preteen angst and hatred. I learned to get around, but I began to hate myself. Among many things, I was a forever foreigner, a mute, a helpless child. I was gay, even, as I would soon find out. But that's another story.

I fell into depression, and a deep, crippling social anxiety. I began to hurt myself in private, and dreamed of the courage to commit suicide. I had much more disturbing thoughts and issues that I will not go into detail about. All you need to know is, I needed help.

When things started looking up for my family, they were finally able to afford the psychiatric help I needed. But before that, I spent most of my time on the internet, and I heard about a language called American Sign Language. An entire language where you didn't have to speak, just move your hands. It sounded like a dream, and I quickly fell in love with it. My second love, my second passion. ASL and languages/linguistics in general.

By age thirteen, I began to keep track of every word/sign I knew, and studied everyday through the internet, unable to get a real class. On and off, I also kept drawing, and by age fifteen, got my own drawing tablet. By now, I began to get questions about what I wanted to do after high school. There was one dream I had held onto since I had moved - to leave Venezuela. Ideally, to return to the USA, the place I knew as home.

But everyone I knew said it would not happen anytime soon. That it was too expensive, too unrealistic, and I would get angry and sob at the thought of having to stay in this country much longer. It was in ruins, I knew, and the process to get out was difficult, to say the least. Many people began to flee as the situation got worse in Venezuela. As much as I grew to love my country, I want to be one of those people.

Today, I'm sixteen, in my penultimate year of high school. I never stopped learning - I became better at drawing and better at signing. I'm even attempting to write a book. And I can say it with confidence now. I want to be an interpreter. I now take pride in my Spanish, despite my thick accent. And I love ASL. And English, my native language, too. I want to use all of those, and keep learning many more, and become a professional in using those languages. And I want to do it by traveling to the USA to live with my brother and niece, and take my first official ASL course.

All I need is a plan. I'd like to do this as a high school graduate, as I will be in June of 2016. So I began to consider all the costs. First, the costs of getting a visa to the US. Next, the course cost, which I rounded up to be safe. I had a place to live, already - I added in some living/spending expenses for about six months. And finally, the plane ticket to my destination.

$2500. That was all I needed, when I added it all up. Though my family is large and still struggles to get by at times, they would want to help a bit. The rest would have to depend on me. I have approximately one year. A year and a few months, actually, but to make it simple, one year.

So what do I do? Well, my friends. I will use my art skills to do commissions. I have taken on some other freelancing jobs to do in my spare time. I have a plan to give a few English classes this summer, and I will do whatever it takes to fulfill my goal, and my dream.

In the meantime, I will keep improving, learning, studying for good grades to finish off high school, and focusing on my third passion and main love that I discovered - that being, my love for my family. And, after many doctors, prescriptions, and 10 medications a day, my love for myself.

And Flight Rising.

That, too.
What's YOUR goal? : D

Hello, General Discussion and curious Art Sale folks! I'm making this thread for a couple reasons. First of all, I like discussions and I like goals. So I'd love to hear about your similar planned projects and ambitions. Secondly, I need a place on FR to put my story, for those who ask to hear it. So, with a warning for TRIGGERS regarding depression, anxiety and suicide, I will tell it.
This is my story.

I go by Alie, and I was born in Venezuela, a third world Latin American country, settled near the equator, about a month after an important man named Hugo Chavez came into command. My family decided to flee the country for a better life in the States, when I was just a baby. We quickly grew accustomed to a kind, suburban life, and I grew up speaking 95% English. I could only understand a bit of Spanish, and loathed speaking it, as I had a very childish accent.

What I did love doing was art. I would draw constantly and write stories everyday, when I wasn't acting them out in my backyard or with my stuffed animals. Creating art became my first love, and my first passion. I grew up happily for the most part, with a vivid imagination and a supportive family. I had a dream career in mind of becoming a famous author and illustrator of my own books.

But as we know, dreams change, and often get pushed away, when we encounter obstacles that seem to overshadow them.

When I was ten years old, my family's visa expired, and we were forced to move back to our homeland, which was still under the command of Chavistas, as it had been for ten years, and would continue to be for several more. I left the snug, fairytale life, and only one I'd ever known, and stepped into a crime-ridden nation in shambles. My family was left in a grim financial situation. For almost two years, we lived in debt, in a house that wasn't ours, with my parents unemployed until my older sisters, only eighteen, had to take charge and use their English skills to support our family.

And me? I had been put in a gang-filled school, to receive an education in a language I didn't know how to speak - a language I hated speaking. And being forced to learn it, I began to hate it even more. Whenever I opened my mouth, people would laugh at my thick accent. I hated speaking. So I stayed quiet, and observed with preteen angst and hatred. I learned to get around, but I began to hate myself. Among many things, I was a forever foreigner, a mute, a helpless child. I was gay, even, as I would soon find out. But that's another story.

I fell into depression, and a deep, crippling social anxiety. I began to hurt myself in private, and dreamed of the courage to commit suicide. I had much more disturbing thoughts and issues that I will not go into detail about. All you need to know is, I needed help.

When things started looking up for my family, they were finally able to afford the psychiatric help I needed. But before that, I spent most of my time on the internet, and I heard about a language called American Sign Language. An entire language where you didn't have to speak, just move your hands. It sounded like a dream, and I quickly fell in love with it. My second love, my second passion. ASL and languages/linguistics in general.

By age thirteen, I began to keep track of every word/sign I knew, and studied everyday through the internet, unable to get a real class. On and off, I also kept drawing, and by age fifteen, got my own drawing tablet. By now, I began to get questions about what I wanted to do after high school. There was one dream I had held onto since I had moved - to leave Venezuela. Ideally, to return to the USA, the place I knew as home.

But everyone I knew said it would not happen anytime soon. That it was too expensive, too unrealistic, and I would get angry and sob at the thought of having to stay in this country much longer. It was in ruins, I knew, and the process to get out was difficult, to say the least. Many people began to flee as the situation got worse in Venezuela. As much as I grew to love my country, I want to be one of those people.

Today, I'm sixteen, in my penultimate year of high school. I never stopped learning - I became better at drawing and better at signing. I'm even attempting to write a book. And I can say it with confidence now. I want to be an interpreter. I now take pride in my Spanish, despite my thick accent. And I love ASL. And English, my native language, too. I want to use all of those, and keep learning many more, and become a professional in using those languages. And I want to do it by traveling to the USA to live with my brother and niece, and take my first official ASL course.

All I need is a plan. I'd like to do this as a high school graduate, as I will be in June of 2016. So I began to consider all the costs. First, the costs of getting a visa to the US. Next, the course cost, which I rounded up to be safe. I had a place to live, already - I added in some living/spending expenses for about six months. And finally, the plane ticket to my destination.

$2500. That was all I needed, when I added it all up. Though my family is large and still struggles to get by at times, they would want to help a bit. The rest would have to depend on me. I have approximately one year. A year and a few months, actually, but to make it simple, one year.

So what do I do? Well, my friends. I will use my art skills to do commissions. I have taken on some other freelancing jobs to do in my spare time. I have a plan to give a few English classes this summer, and I will do whatever it takes to fulfill my goal, and my dream.

In the meantime, I will keep improving, learning, studying for good grades to finish off high school, and focusing on my third passion and main love that I discovered - that being, my love for my family. And, after many doctors, prescriptions, and 10 medications a day, my love for myself.

And Flight Rising.

That, too.
@alieangeles

This is really a nice story, in the end :) I am happy you've been able to over come the bad things you've been going through. It is always amazing when you know you are not alone, if you need some help you can get it, and also have your family to support you. Those are such important things ^_^

I wish you all the luck in the world to be able to make the money you need and make your dream come true. It sounds wonderful, and it's always nice to have dreams and goals, something to look forward to in life.

(maybe you can find some old venezuelan my little ponies and sell them on ebay for loads of money :D aaah. *totally not a pony collector*)
@alieangeles

This is really a nice story, in the end :) I am happy you've been able to over come the bad things you've been going through. It is always amazing when you know you are not alone, if you need some help you can get it, and also have your family to support you. Those are such important things ^_^

I wish you all the luck in the world to be able to make the money you need and make your dream come true. It sounds wonderful, and it's always nice to have dreams and goals, something to look forward to in life.

(maybe you can find some old venezuelan my little ponies and sell them on ebay for loads of money :D aaah. *totally not a pony collector*)
2T7Jk2l.png
@moomargh

I'm glad you enjoyed it. < 3 Thanks so much for your kind thoughts!!

(that makes me want to look up the history of MLP in Venezuela...I've never actually seen any merchandise of it, except maybe a commercial or two...we're more of hello kitty people ;D)
@moomargh

I'm glad you enjoyed it. < 3 Thanks so much for your kind thoughts!!

(that makes me want to look up the history of MLP in Venezuela...I've never actually seen any merchandise of it, except maybe a commercial or two...we're more of hello kitty people ;D)
@alieangeles That is a great story. But now for the real question... where do we go to commission you? :D
@alieangeles That is a great story. But now for the real question... where do we go to commission you? :D
@Harpsdesire

Pffff, thank you!! My commissions are right here:

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1421425

and you can click in my signature to find my adoptables 8D
@Harpsdesire

Pffff, thank you!! My commissions are right here:

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/1421425

and you can click in my signature to find my adoptables 8D
Hm... there's a thousand ways to go about the whole process...

If you're a christian, you can send letters to churches asking for help. (if you're not, you can just do a little acting)

There's also the existence of rich people with guilty consciences.
There's also probably organizations and programs to do exactly what you're doing.

Also, make some good american friends online, their couches can be really handy.

Probably start the whole process of studying for the exams for citizenship.

You could also probably ask someone to take out a loan. Or you could take out a loan. idk what your country's loan policies are.

It'll be easier to make money in the US, that's for sure.

(my goal currently is to make $4k in a month)
Hm... there's a thousand ways to go about the whole process...

If you're a christian, you can send letters to churches asking for help. (if you're not, you can just do a little acting)

There's also the existence of rich people with guilty consciences.
There's also probably organizations and programs to do exactly what you're doing.

Also, make some good american friends online, their couches can be really handy.

Probably start the whole process of studying for the exams for citizenship.

You could also probably ask someone to take out a loan. Or you could take out a loan. idk what your country's loan policies are.

It'll be easier to make money in the US, that's for sure.

(my goal currently is to make $4k in a month)
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
@alieangeles That link didn't work for me :(

But when I get home I think I'm going to order a couple bouncy dragons to help you with your goal if that is ok!
@alieangeles That link didn't work for me :(

But when I get home I think I'm going to order a couple bouncy dragons to help you with your goal if that is ok!
@Harpsdesire Oh dear. 8( Can someone do me a favor and check if the link in my profile works?

And omg, thank you so much! 8D That'd be great, very appreciated!!

@Zrcalo I have family and friends in the US very willing to take me in, so that freeloading is done for. 8D

Good luck on your goal! It really is much easier in the States.. but yay for online art commissions, amirite??
@Harpsdesire Oh dear. 8( Can someone do me a favor and check if the link in my profile works?

And omg, thank you so much! 8D That'd be great, very appreciated!!

@Zrcalo I have family and friends in the US very willing to take me in, so that freeloading is done for. 8D

Good luck on your goal! It really is much easier in the States.. but yay for online art commissions, amirite??
@alieangeles
Ah yes your profile one does work! Thank you :)
@alieangeles
Ah yes your profile one does work! Thank you :)
@Harpsdesire

Oh alright, thanks for telling me!

-shudders- I hate broken links.
@Harpsdesire

Oh alright, thanks for telling me!

-shudders- I hate broken links.
1 2