Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | WIP (RP/OC character guide)
Ultimate WIP mode! Go ahead and feel free to ask questions. I am spending lots of time typing this out, so I hope it's loved and used. :D

Introduction
~I think we've all reused a OC for a roleplay, even though maybe that OC wasn't the best for that topic. But it's hard to come up with characters, especially interesting or unique ones. Well, it doesn't have to be!
Special note: this guide is more focused on creating (humanoid) OCs for roleplay, not for RPing itself. :"D good luck with that!

Starting Out [character design]

Let's start with a very basic "form" and character design for this.
Name: Kate Hudson
Appearance: Tall, skinny, blond hair and blue eyes.
Personality: Kind, calm, but can be cold.

Beating Boredom!
~Sometimes it is nice to have something a little better then that! This girl has fallen victim to Basically Common/Commonly Basic Syndrome. Or, we'll call it BCCB.
Tall, skinny, and blond with blue eyes is an overused base, seen when people become rushed, confused, or have no idea what they want to do for this character. Other unoriginal themes are brown hair, green eyes, and stocky, strong and handsome.
Now wait a second there, Epi! Humans only come in a number of variety, right? Those profiles are common but realistic.
Yes, I get that, and that's fine! But also shaking things up a bit, or giving better detail with edge adds fun for all.
Let's give her a better "appearance" description.

"Kate has a slight frame, which is very frail and weak looking. She is very tall, adding to her skin and bones effect. She has little to no muscle, and often slouches over. Her hair is a dusty crop of dirty blond, pushed over to the right side of her face. She has startling sky blue eyes, which pop out against the rest of her broken form. Along with that, she has think freckles, and dirt marks."

This probably wouldn't be the first thing I'd choose as a character, right? She's weak!
Well. Actually, one thing many people enjoy is reading the thoughts and reactions of characters, and you can set yours up to have LOTS of interesting thoughts.
This girl can be extremely busy worrying about how she looks, how hungry she is, or maybe she's thinking of an abusive childhood. Or maybe she's shallow, but that's up to you. One thing is for certain;
Appearances can effect a character in a lot of ways, and it's an important thing to think about.
You can also add other aspects to a characters past and personality through looks, using defects, injuries, or disease.
For example, you could give your character cancer, make them lose an arm or a leg (or maybe just an ear or fingers), or maybe they have cushings? Who KNOWS! The possibilities are endless. So on that note, I'll add a bit more to her looks.

"Kate is also missing her pinky and thumb on her right hand. This makes it hard to grab things, or type. She is bullied and asked about it all the time, making her wish to hide."

Bolding another example about The Look Effect.

~Also make sure to add how someone's character would receive her. What's their first impression?

~We also want to spice up her personality and outlook. This is very important to have a personality you feel comfortable using, because unlike what you may want, a person can't change their attitude or outlook on life overnight, or in two paragraphs. Change is possible, but not very fast, and without cause.
Now, kind and calm, or fiery and daring are two very popular themes you don't have to look for to see. There are many ways to make sure your character doesn't have BCCB. Your character may he layers, or maybe they are sturdy and predictable, which isn't always a bad thing. Some may not agree with me, but I believe personality and outlook should weigh up with appearances to some degree.
Example; The skinny little Kate is not a bold, daring person who likes to punch people in the face.
No. She's laid back and put into a tighter position by the bullying and abuse she suffers due to her malnutrition and mangled hands.
Coming up with the right flavors to the layered cake is hard, but you can do it!
One curious thing, is that, you can mostly group people into to large groups, with subgroups within; Confident and Unsure.
~Confident characters can be charming, charismatic, and dashing people, who can stroll into a bar, guns blazing. They show positive behaviors such as courage and certainty, but can also be reckless, stubborn, and impulsive. They are more often leaders, and can also get in a lot of arguments with other Confidents. I usually associate them with stronger, builds and a heated temperature.
~Unsure characters can be awkward, nervous, shy, cute, and paranoid. Them may sit a dance out instead of getting the girl. They can be far more contemplative, thoughtful, and appreciating, maybe noticing people's feelings. They can also be slower, nervous, afraid, and shut down in stressful files and situations.
I usually associate them with slighter builds, and a calmer and colder temperature.
~Of course, you can also go against all this, and it can create a lovely character, but it can also be harder to make it seem natural.
~As for opinions, make sure to give your characters some. Maybe they prefer the company of girls over boys, or maybe they hate parties. Perhaps they enjoy the outdoors more then indoors, or perhaps they'd rather read.
~Keep this all in mind, bu don't go overboard! A character should be more then a McDonald's sausage biscuit, but you might not want a buffet either. Round out your characters like a meal; add the right amount of protein, carbs, and etc.
You get the point!

Age and Gender?
~You may be wondering why I'd go into age. It's rather simple, and I can handle it, Epi!
Well, I'm actually going into specifics here, farther down then one to three numbers, to the root of age itself. Age counts up from the day you were born to track your maturity!
Maturity can be very important. Age can be important. And I'm sure it's often overlooked.
I could just slap down Kate's age as 16, OR, I could contemplate how I'd like her reactions to bullying to be, and go from there.
Since I'd like a soft, sensitive little girl, we'll say she's 15, when teen females freak out about looks. We may want to make her more mature in street sense for her age, so we'll add that in there. Remember, age and maturity always ring true, so next time you'd like 6 year old Pete to go on a dangerous quest, you may want to reconsider.
~*cough* Gender... heh. I'm not going far into this, because I'm not an expert, but I can say that a hard working homeless girl like Kate, who's starving and cold, won't be considering her sexual orientation or gender the way a rich, bored, and belly-full kid will. Just consider that. It can also be simpler to say ''he'' and ''she'' then ''they/them''.

Past and History; what it means for your character
~What does past and history do to the present? EVERYTHING! Take away history and you have NOTHING. I can't stress how important this is. Opinions, biases, thoughts, experience, everything relies on the past you may or may not include to your ''form''. Even if you don't post it to begin with (which is great, because it can add spice to your RP posts!), at least come up with it as you go. If your character hates mothers for no reason, that's just weird man! Kate may hate her mother for abandoning her on the streets to freeze or starve. History makes or breaks your character.
She's shy, she's weak, and she's homeless because of her past. And that is what effects everything about her! See where I'm getting at?
I think this is the hardest thing to cultivate, but this is something that can be shaped as you go along.
If you want a strong, noble warrior for a character, make wise to have him have the proper history to cultivate his passion for justice. He grew up in a rougher household, and he had a friend that lived on the streets. This old man was kind, and told him tales of glory, but also taught him lessons about what went on in his home. ''Don't be like them,'' the old man would say. Your hero knows what's right, and wants to enforce it when he's older. It's his dream!
~History should also be rich and colorful, like your character. Just having a normal past is as boring as ''blond with blue eyes'' if it ends right there. Add little snippets that give your young one a pause. Maybe a wind of doctrine your character is unfamiliar with, or maybe they agree with these more then their prior beliefs. Anyways, if your character was previously evil/good, give them a good reason they aren't anymore.
Good luck with this!

Appearance: Kate has a slight frame, which is very frail and weak looking. She is very tall, adding to her skin and bones effect. She has little to no muscle, and often slouches over. Her hair is a dusty crop of dirty blond, pushed over to the right side of her face. She has startling sky blue eyes, which pop out against the rest of her broken form. Along with that, she has think freckles, and dirt marks. Kate is also missing her pinky and thumb on her right hand. This makes it hard to grab things, or type. She is bullied and asked about it all the time, making her wish to hide.
~First impressions would be like looking at a damaged flower, that with the right care could be killed or healed. She has a aura of potential.

Personality: Kate is extremely sensitive. She is self-aware of what others think of her, and feels the need to hide. She is fearful of adults, and is very curious and cautious around children. Kate also has an independent streak. Although she is starving, she is proud and thankful she's survived so far. She is creative, and could be loyal if she wasn't so shy and fearful.
History: She had an extremely rocky first two years, and at age three, she was abandoned by her faithless mother at a bakery. The owners took her in and raised her to age five, until there was a fire in the bakery, and the whole family died except her, although she lost her thumb and pinky on her right hand. She's been living off stolen food and pennies since. She hopes to work in the Royal stables when she reaches sixteen.

Ultimate WIP mode! Go ahead and feel free to ask questions. I am spending lots of time typing this out, so I hope it's loved and used. :D

Introduction
~I think we've all reused a OC for a roleplay, even though maybe that OC wasn't the best for that topic. But it's hard to come up with characters, especially interesting or unique ones. Well, it doesn't have to be!
Special note: this guide is more focused on creating (humanoid) OCs for roleplay, not for RPing itself. :"D good luck with that!

Starting Out [character design]

Let's start with a very basic "form" and character design for this.
Appearance: Tall, skinny, blond hair and blue eyes.
Personality: Kind, calm, but can be cold.

Beating Boredom!
~Sometimes it is nice to have something a little better then that! This girl has fallen victim to Basically Common/Commonly Basic Syndrome. Or, we'll call it BCCB.
Tall, skinny, and blond with blue eyes is an overused base, seen when people become rushed, confused, or have no idea what they want to do for this character. Other unoriginal themes are brown hair, green eyes, and stocky, strong and handsome.
Now wait a second there, Epi! Humans only come in a number of variety, right? Those profiles are common but realistic.
Yes, I get that, and that's fine! But also shaking things up a bit, or giving better detail with edge adds fun for all.
Let's give her a better "appearance" description.

"Kate has a slight frame, which is very frail and weak looking. She is very tall, adding to her skin and bones effect. She has little to no muscle, and often slouches over. Her hair is a dusty crop of dirty blond, pushed over to the right side of her face. She has startling sky blue eyes, which pop out against the rest of her broken form. Along with that, she has think freckles, and dirt marks."

This probably wouldn't be the first thing I'd choose as a character, right? She's weak!
Well. Actually, one thing many people enjoy is reading the thoughts and reactions of characters, and you can set yours up to have LOTS of interesting thoughts.
This girl can be extremely busy worrying about how she looks, how hungry she is, or maybe she's thinking of an abusive childhood. Or maybe she's shallow, but that's up to you. One thing is for certain;
Appearances can effect a character in a lot of ways, and it's an important thing to think about.
You can also add other aspects to a characters past and personality through looks, using defects, injuries, or disease.
For example, you could give your character cancer, make them lose an arm or a leg (or maybe just an ear or fingers), or maybe they have cushings? Who KNOWS! The possibilities are endless. So on that note, I'll add a bit more to her looks.

"Kate is also missing her pinky and thumb on her right hand. This makes it hard to grab things, or type. She is bullied and asked about it all the time, making her wish to hide."

Bolding another example about The Look Effect.

~Also make sure to add how someone's character would receive her. What's their first impression?

~We also want to spice up her personality and outlook. This is very important to have a personality you feel comfortable using, because unlike what you may want, a person can't change their attitude or outlook on life overnight, or in two paragraphs. Change is possible, but not very fast, and without cause.
Now, kind and calm, or fiery and daring are two very popular themes you don't have to look for to see. There are many ways to make sure your character doesn't have BCCB. Your character may he layers, or maybe they are sturdy and predictable, which isn't always a bad thing. Some may not agree with me, but I believe personality and outlook should weigh up with appearances to some degree.
Example; The skinny little Kate is not a bold, daring person who likes to punch people in the face.
No. She's laid back and put into a tighter position by the bullying and abuse she suffers due to her malnutrition and mangled hands.
Coming up with the right flavors to the layered cake is hard, but you can do it!
One curious thing, is that, you can mostly group people into to large groups, with subgroups within; Confident and Unsure.
~Confident characters can be charming, charismatic, and dashing people, who can stroll into a bar, guns blazing. They show positive behaviors such as courage and certainty, but can also be reckless, stubborn, and impulsive. They are more often leaders, and can also get in a lot of arguments with other Confidents. I usually associate them with stronger, builds and a heated temperature.
~Unsure characters can be awkward, nervous, shy, cute, and paranoid. Them may sit a dance out instead of getting the girl. They can be far more contemplative, thoughtful, and appreciating, maybe noticing people's feelings. They can also be slower, nervous, afraid, and shut down in stressful files and situations.
I usually associate them with slighter builds, and a calmer and colder temperature.
~Of course, you can also go against all this, and it can create a lovely character, but it can also be harder to make it seem natural.
~As for opinions, make sure to give your characters some. Maybe they prefer the company of girls over boys, or maybe they hate parties. Perhaps they enjoy the outdoors more then indoors, or perhaps they'd rather read.
~Keep this all in mind, bu don't go overboard! A character should be more then a McDonald's sausage biscuit, but you might not want a buffet either. Round out your characters like a meal; add the right amount of protein, carbs, and etc.
You get the point!

Age and Gender?
~You may be wondering why I'd go into age. It's rather simple, and I can handle it, Epi!
Well, I'm actually going into specifics here, farther down then one to three numbers, to the root of age itself. Age counts up from the day you were born to track your maturity!
Maturity can be very important. Age can be important. And I'm sure it's often overlooked.
I could just slap down Kate's age as 16, OR, I could contemplate how I'd like her reactions to bullying to be, and go from there.
Since I'd like a soft, sensitive little girl, we'll say she's 15, when teen females freak out about looks. We may want to make her more mature in street sense for her age, so we'll add that in there. Remember, age and maturity always ring true, so next time you'd like 6 year old Pete to go on a dangerous quest, you may want to reconsider.
~*cough* Gender... heh. I'm not going far into this, because I'm not an expert, but I can say that a hard working homeless girl like Kate, who's starving and cold, won't be considering her sexual orientation or gender the way a rich, bored, and belly-full kid will. Just consider that. It can also be simpler to say ''he'' and ''she'' then ''they/them''.

Past and History; what it means for your character
~What does past and history do to the present? EVERYTHING! Take away history and you have NOTHING. I can't stress how important this is. Opinions, biases, thoughts, experience, everything relies on the past you may or may not include to your ''form''. Even if you don't post it to begin with (which is great, because it can add spice to your RP posts!), at least come up with it as you go. If your character hates mothers for no reason, that's just weird man! Kate may hate her mother for abandoning her on the streets to freeze or starve. History makes or breaks your character.
She's shy, she's weak, and she's homeless because of her past. And that is what effects everything about her! See where I'm getting at?
I think this is the hardest thing to cultivate, but this is something that can be shaped as you go along.
If you want a strong, noble warrior for a character, make wise to have him have the proper history to cultivate his passion for justice. He grew up in a rougher household, and he had a friend that lived on the streets. This old man was kind, and told him tales of glory, but also taught him lessons about what went on in his home. ''Don't be like them,'' the old man would say. Your hero knows what's right, and wants to enforce it when he's older. It's his dream!
~History should also be rich and colorful, like your character. Just having a normal past is as boring as ''blond with blue eyes'' if it ends right there. Add little snippets that give your young one a pause. Maybe a wind of doctrine your character is unfamiliar with, or maybe they agree with these more then their prior beliefs. Anyways, if your character was previously evil/good, give them a good reason they aren't anymore.
Good luck with this!

Appearance: Kate has a slight frame, which is very frail and weak looking. She is very tall, adding to her skin and bones effect. She has little to no muscle, and often slouches over. Her hair is a dusty crop of dirty blond, pushed over to the right side of her face. She has startling sky blue eyes, which pop out against the rest of her broken form. Along with that, she has think freckles, and dirt marks. Kate is also missing her pinky and thumb on her right hand. This makes it hard to grab things, or type. She is bullied and asked about it all the time, making her wish to hide.
~First impressions would be like looking at a damaged flower, that with the right care could be killed or healed. She has a aura of potential.

Personality: Kate is extremely sensitive. She is self-aware of what others think of her, and feels the need to hide. She is fearful of adults, and is very curious and cautious around children. Kate also has an independent streak. Although she is starving, she is proud and thankful she's survived so far. She is creative, and could be loyal if she wasn't so shy and fearful.
History: She had an extremely rocky first two years, and at age three, she was abandoned by her faithless mother at a bakery. The owners took her in and raised her to age five, until there was a fire in the bakery, and the whole family died except her, although she lost her thumb and pinky on her right hand. She's been living off stolen food and pennies since. She hopes to work in the Royal stables when she reaches sixteen.

Finishing Touches

The Icing on the Cake
~What's cake without icing? Well, cake, actually. But it's not as tasty, moist, or considered ''finished''. Icing for your character ar usually the things that go at the bottom of your form, in ''other'', or that are unsaid and waiting to appear as you play. Icing makes your character seem more human, real, or natural. Since ''icing'' can be a big category, let's break this up.
  • What's in their closet?-- What do they wear?
  • They walk into a weaponry.--What do they choose? Fighting style?
  • They're shivering with fear!--What are they scared of?
  • They are sneering.--What personality do they loath?
  • Oh boy, here comes trouble!--Will they stand up, go around, or join a bullying group?

What do they wear
~Well, clothes can be overlooked, or you can mention them in a roleplay. I've found that clothing of choice can be more important in school RPs and such. Generally I would suggest going along with they appearance of the character. A dark goth kid should probably wear goth clothes. A normal teen boy could wear shorts and a tee-shirt.

Weapon of Choice and Fighting Style
~Not near (or at all) important for school RPs, but very important for action. There are a wide range of weapons that go well or badly with different builds and styles. I suggest visiting this Wiki page for weapons to find. Can be useful, and very good for looking for unique weapons.
It can be very hard to RP fights, esp. when the person your fighting won't allow their character to die. So, if you want six year old Pete (who you took on the quest anyways!! >:O (jk don't kill me))
to look good, don't give him a gun or a bow, because you'd have to make him miss just about every time. So, if I want a cool fight, without a lot of damage done, I'd use a staff. You can hit, smack, throw, push... etc. with a staff without killing no one. Throwing knives are cool too, because you can inflict a lot of pain and be bad-butt without probably killing anyone. Now wait there a moment, Epi!! Swords are always the best!!! KILL HER!!!!!
Whoa there! Swords are cool too, but I suggest using them with bad guys you can kill. Swords in truth were very effective and deadly, and big sword fights weren't common; it was usually hack hack, dead.
If you do a nice planned sword fight, then great. Just be careful while holding sharp objects; esp when it's a sword, and your trying to fight someone.
~Hand to hand combat can be hard too, so I suggest taking a look at some. Your character shouldn't be able to overpower a sumo wrestler if their only pint sized, or frail, or small. Like Kate; should she go into combat, she'd go for speed and agility. But she'd not a fighter.

Fears
~Fears usually stem back to a character's past. Fears can come from traumatic situations that associated with that object/idea. Kate has a phobia of hands and fire because of the constant bullying she faces, and the bakery fire. One of my characters, Deimos (centaur), has a phobia of death because he doesn't have a soul. Make fears conform to the character; Kate's not going to have a fear of bread. There's just no reason!

People they Hate
~OK, I think we all have a couple people that make us tick. And a lot of times, it's a personality type that irritates us too. Little Kate hates people who are selfish and concerned with that spot of dirt on their pinky of their right hand. A character who loves books might be irritated by bossy obnoxious brats who try to talk to them while they read. A warrior may hate people who are unhelpful on their war campaigns. The possibilities are only limited to your imagination.

To be Mean, or not to be Mean
~OK, it's fun to have a nasty side to your character, or to have them be outright rude. I won't say much on this, but you've gotta decide when and why they snap or be snotty, or if they're mean bullies. This is on you.

WIP

WIPPPPPPPPPP
Finishing Touches

The Icing on the Cake
~What's cake without icing? Well, cake, actually. But it's not as tasty, moist, or considered ''finished''. Icing for your character ar usually the things that go at the bottom of your form, in ''other'', or that are unsaid and waiting to appear as you play. Icing makes your character seem more human, real, or natural. Since ''icing'' can be a big category, let's break this up.
  • What's in their closet?-- What do they wear?
  • They walk into a weaponry.--What do they choose? Fighting style?
  • They're shivering with fear!--What are they scared of?
  • They are sneering.--What personality do they loath?
  • Oh boy, here comes trouble!--Will they stand up, go around, or join a bullying group?

What do they wear
~Well, clothes can be overlooked, or you can mention them in a roleplay. I've found that clothing of choice can be more important in school RPs and such. Generally I would suggest going along with they appearance of the character. A dark goth kid should probably wear goth clothes. A normal teen boy could wear shorts and a tee-shirt.

Weapon of Choice and Fighting Style
~Not near (or at all) important for school RPs, but very important for action. There are a wide range of weapons that go well or badly with different builds and styles. I suggest visiting this Wiki page for weapons to find. Can be useful, and very good for looking for unique weapons.
It can be very hard to RP fights, esp. when the person your fighting won't allow their character to die. So, if you want six year old Pete (who you took on the quest anyways!! >:O (jk don't kill me))
to look good, don't give him a gun or a bow, because you'd have to make him miss just about every time. So, if I want a cool fight, without a lot of damage done, I'd use a staff. You can hit, smack, throw, push... etc. with a staff without killing no one. Throwing knives are cool too, because you can inflict a lot of pain and be bad-butt without probably killing anyone. Now wait there a moment, Epi!! Swords are always the best!!! KILL HER!!!!!
Whoa there! Swords are cool too, but I suggest using them with bad guys you can kill. Swords in truth were very effective and deadly, and big sword fights weren't common; it was usually hack hack, dead.
If you do a nice planned sword fight, then great. Just be careful while holding sharp objects; esp when it's a sword, and your trying to fight someone.
~Hand to hand combat can be hard too, so I suggest taking a look at some. Your character shouldn't be able to overpower a sumo wrestler if their only pint sized, or frail, or small. Like Kate; should she go into combat, she'd go for speed and agility. But she'd not a fighter.

Fears
~Fears usually stem back to a character's past. Fears can come from traumatic situations that associated with that object/idea. Kate has a phobia of hands and fire because of the constant bullying she faces, and the bakery fire. One of my characters, Deimos (centaur), has a phobia of death because he doesn't have a soul. Make fears conform to the character; Kate's not going to have a fear of bread. There's just no reason!

People they Hate
~OK, I think we all have a couple people that make us tick. And a lot of times, it's a personality type that irritates us too. Little Kate hates people who are selfish and concerned with that spot of dirt on their pinky of their right hand. A character who loves books might be irritated by bossy obnoxious brats who try to talk to them while they read. A warrior may hate people who are unhelpful on their war campaigns. The possibilities are only limited to your imagination.

To be Mean, or not to be Mean
~OK, it's fun to have a nasty side to your character, or to have them be outright rude. I won't say much on this, but you've gotta decide when and why they snap or be snotty, or if they're mean bullies. This is on you.

WIP

WIPPPPPPPPPP
Presentation in Character
Presentation in Character
Responsible Reusing
Responsible Reusing
That Form to Fill!

Things to Remember!
That Form to Fill!

Things to Remember!
Okie, I'm done reserving now! Go ahead and ask questions or add on while I finish.
Okie, I'm done reserving now! Go ahead and ask questions or add on while I finish.
@CrystalBones @CelestialOrca @Dragonclaw101 @Pearlcatcher101
Thought my fam might like this.
@CrystalBones @CelestialOrca @Dragonclaw101 @Pearlcatcher101
Thought my fam might like this.