Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | (RETIRED) Feeding Calc + Feed Order Info
1 2 3 4
[center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1483717/4#post_39379338][size=6] June 14, 2019: I'm formally retiring this guide! I can't put in the time/science to maintain it anymore. However, I'm leaving it here for posterity. Any/all players interested in making their own (up to date) version are highly encouraged to take whatever they want from here! Good luck and happy dragoning! :)[/size][/url][/center] -------- [center][size=5][b]1. Feeding Calculator[/b][/size][/center] [center][size=4][url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uzsBqWmi7z_UNa88jYwTJPaSC3AFUh7zoUIGMwu1rIs/edit#gid=1138391648]click HERE for calculator (googledocs)[/url][/size] To use, right-click the Calculator sheet and select: [u]Duplicate[/u] to grab a copy for use right away [u]Copy To[/u] to add a copy to one of your own private documents[/center] Enter information about how many of each breed is living in your lair. The calculator will give you information about how many food points of what types you'd need to feed everyone under various circumstances. The [b]normal feeding conditions[/b] section is most useful for normal gameplay. It tells you: [LIST] [*]what you need to pony up every time the lair ticks down one energy [*]how much you spend in a 24-hour period keeping everyone fed (3 hunger ticks) [*]how much food you'd need if you left the game and came back to a starving lair of 0-energy dragons [/LIST] This is useful for the curious or those trying to figure out what food types they use more of. The [b]subsistence feeding[/b] section is more complicated but useful for people trying to game food preferences to stretch their supplies. You do this by starting at 0/0/0/0 and converting one food type at a time, feeding in between conversions. For example, starting at 0/0/0/0, convert meat items into meat points, Feed the lair until everyone who eats meat is full, then convert seafood, Feed until everyone who eats that is full, etc. There are four subsections, one for each type of food to use first. Within a subsection are six choices for secondary, tertiary and quaternary foods. The four-letter combo at the top indicates what order you could administer foods in, and the numbers beneath the heading tell you how much you'd need of each type if administered in that order. [quote=Example]Say my food point stores are low. I input my lair breed totals in the designated space. According to the Normal Feeding Conditions section, for one energy I need: [center]22 insects / 10 meat / 21 seafood / 17 plants[/center] However, I have lots of Insect foods available, some Plants, little Meat, and almost no Seafood. If everyone eats their favorite foods the picky Seafood-only eaters will go hungry pretty soon! I decide to hand things out more carefully to stretch my meager supplies. In order from most to least I have [b]I[/b]nsects, [b]P[/b]lants, [b]M[/b]eat and [b]S[/b]eafood. I check the "I have lots of Insects!" section, then find the [b]IPMS[/b] header. The numbers under it tell me that for one energy I need: [center]44 insects / 2 meat / 11 seafood / 13 plants[/center] So when my lair ticks down one energy, I go to my hoard and convert 44 food points worth of insects. I hit Feed, then go back to my hoard and convert 13 food points worth of plants. Feed, convert 2 meat, Feed, convert 11 seafood, Feed. Voila, everyone's fed, and it mostly used the insects I had plenty of.[/quote] Note that duplicate outcomes are possible. When running the above test, I noticed that IMPS would give an identical 44i/2m/11s/13p outcome despite feeding meat before plants. Results vary based on your exact breed composition, so check carefully!

1. Feeding Calculator

click HERE for calculator (googledocs)

To use, right-click the Calculator sheet and select:
Duplicate to grab a copy for use right away
Copy To to add a copy to one of your own private documents

Enter information about how many of each breed is living in your lair. The calculator will give you information about how many food points of what types you'd need to feed everyone under various circumstances.

The normal feeding conditions section is most useful for normal gameplay. It tells you:
  • what you need to pony up every time the lair ticks down one energy
  • how much you spend in a 24-hour period keeping everyone fed (3 hunger ticks)
  • how much food you'd need if you left the game and came back to a starving lair of 0-energy dragons
This is useful for the curious or those trying to figure out what food types they use more of.

The subsistence feeding section is more complicated but useful for people trying to game food preferences to stretch their supplies. You do this by starting at 0/0/0/0 and converting one food type at a time, feeding in between conversions. For example, starting at 0/0/0/0, convert meat items into meat points, Feed the lair until everyone who eats meat is full, then convert seafood, Feed until everyone who eats that is full, etc.

There are four subsections, one for each type of food to use first. Within a subsection are six choices for secondary, tertiary and quaternary foods. The four-letter combo at the top indicates what order you could administer foods in, and the numbers beneath the heading tell you how much you'd need of each type if administered in that order.

Example wrote:
Say my food point stores are low. I input my lair breed totals in the designated space. According to the Normal Feeding Conditions section, for one energy I need:
22 insects / 10 meat / 21 seafood / 17 plants

However, I have lots of Insect foods available, some Plants, little Meat, and almost no Seafood. If everyone eats their favorite foods the picky Seafood-only eaters will go hungry pretty soon! I decide to hand things out more carefully to stretch my meager supplies.

In order from most to least I have Insects, Plants, Meat and Seafood. I check the "I have lots of Insects!" section, then find the IPMS header. The numbers under it tell me that for one energy I need:
44 insects / 2 meat / 11 seafood / 13 plants

So when my lair ticks down one energy, I go to my hoard and convert 44 food points worth of insects. I hit Feed, then go back to my hoard and convert 13 food points worth of plants. Feed, convert 2 meat, Feed, convert 11 seafood, Feed. Voila, everyone's fed, and it mostly used the insects I had plenty of.

Note that duplicate outcomes are possible. When running the above test, I noticed that IMPS would give an identical 44i/2m/11s/13p outcome despite feeding meat before plants. Results vary based on your exact breed composition, so check carefully!
w3FkmQd.pngnYfqvkJ.pngkX1MmEz.pngE9LEaQN.pngAy0lrzd.png
2. Feeding Order

Ever wonder how your dragons line up when it's feeding time? This doesn't come up for people with plenty of food points, but you'll definitely notice this if you run low on something.

First Rule: food is distributed by breed.

For example, if you have a pile of seafood (and only seafood) it will first be handed out to ridgebacks. Next, any mirrors. There's a specific order for each food type, so have some lists from first priority to last.

INSECTS
  1. Fae
  2. Pearlcatchers
  3. Spirals
  4. Skydancers
  5. Guardians
  6. Imperials
  7. Nocturnes
MEAT
  1. Wildclaws
  2. Mirrors
  3. Spirals
  4. Bogsneaks
  5. Guardians
  6. Imperials
  7. Nocturnes
SEAFOOD
  1. Ridgebacks
  2. Mirrors
  3. Snappers
  4. Guardians
  5. Imperials
  6. Coatls
PLANTS
  1. Tundras
  2. Pearlcatchers
  3. Snappers
  4. Skydancers
  5. Bogsneaks
  6. Guardians
  7. Imperials

(Or more generally: pickier eaters eat first, except for post-Skydancer-release breeds which got screwed up and put at the end of feeding order. Poor coatls.)

Second Rule: within a breed, food is distributed from oldest to youngest.

Age is determined by dragon ID#: the lower the number, the older a dragon is. So if you have three snappers and it's their turn to eat, the eldest will eat first, then the middle one, and finally the youngest.

Things which DO NOT impact lair feeding order:
  • Lair position
  • How long a dragon has resided in the lair
2. Feeding Order

Ever wonder how your dragons line up when it's feeding time? This doesn't come up for people with plenty of food points, but you'll definitely notice this if you run low on something.

First Rule: food is distributed by breed.

For example, if you have a pile of seafood (and only seafood) it will first be handed out to ridgebacks. Next, any mirrors. There's a specific order for each food type, so have some lists from first priority to last.

INSECTS
  1. Fae
  2. Pearlcatchers
  3. Spirals
  4. Skydancers
  5. Guardians
  6. Imperials
  7. Nocturnes
MEAT
  1. Wildclaws
  2. Mirrors
  3. Spirals
  4. Bogsneaks
  5. Guardians
  6. Imperials
  7. Nocturnes
SEAFOOD
  1. Ridgebacks
  2. Mirrors
  3. Snappers
  4. Guardians
  5. Imperials
  6. Coatls
PLANTS
  1. Tundras
  2. Pearlcatchers
  3. Snappers
  4. Skydancers
  5. Bogsneaks
  6. Guardians
  7. Imperials

(Or more generally: pickier eaters eat first, except for post-Skydancer-release breeds which got screwed up and put at the end of feeding order. Poor coatls.)

Second Rule: within a breed, food is distributed from oldest to youngest.

Age is determined by dragon ID#: the lower the number, the older a dragon is. So if you have three snappers and it's their turn to eat, the eldest will eat first, then the middle one, and finally the youngest.

Things which DO NOT impact lair feeding order:
  • Lair position
  • How long a dragon has resided in the lair
[center][size=7]Due to my being insufficiently active I'm retiring this guide. I'm leaving it as-is in case anyone wants to fact-check or build on what I have, but as of June 2019 I can't promise anything is accurate! Happy dragoning, and good luck fellow scientists! [emoji=ridgeback winking size=2][/size][/center] ------------------------------ [center][size=4]February 12, 2019: @Lara8 alerted me that [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1483717/3#post_37690350]something seems to have changed in the lair revamp[/url]! That means it's time for[/size] [size=6][emoji=green vial][emoji=blue vial][emoji=red vial]A call to SCIENCE![emoji=red vial][emoji=blue vial][emoji=green vial][/size][/center] [size=5]I'm looking for players to collect information on feeding order in their lairs! If you want to help, please use a subsistence feeding style and fill out the below form with notes on who ate in what order & post it here! (If you have too much food already converted or not enough breeds in your lair, spreading the word is appreciated!)[/size] [emoji=scroll] [u]Subsistence Feeding Results:[/u] [i]Flight Rising date you did the experiment[/i] [u]FIRST FOOD:[/u] [i]whichever food you fed first[/i] [list=1][*][i]first breed that ate[/i] [*][i]second breed that ate[/i] [*][i]third breed that ate[/i] [*][i]fourth breed that ate[/i] [*][i]fifth breed that ate[/i] [*][i]sixth breed that ate[/i] [*][i]seventh breed that ate[/i][/list] [i](Delete empty ones if your list isn't that long!)[/i] ...and so on, until you have info on your whole lair. COPYPASTA CODE BELOW: [code][emoji=scroll] [u]Subsistence Feeding Results:[/u] [u]FIRST FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list] [u]SECOND FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list] [u]THIRD FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list] [u]FOURTH FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list][/code] Any and all help is DEEPLY appreciated. I'm not in a position to test this myself right now so I'm relying on other people to figure this out! ------------------------ Please feel free to give me a prod if the spreadsheet permissions go wonky-- I know how to code a decent one, but I have little experience trying to partially share them around in an editable manner. A.K.A. if it blows up, post here to let me know. [EDIT] September 28, 2016: I found the new Plant feed order! Meat is pending, curse you bogsneaks. (Double curse me and my food conversion decisions two weeks ago, [i]oops.[/i]) [EDIT] October 17, 2016: I SLACKED, but it's done! Bogsneaks are now full integrated into the feeding order & spreadsheet. Let me know if there are any errors; otherwise enjoy!
Due to my being insufficiently active I'm retiring this guide. I'm leaving it as-is in case anyone wants to fact-check or build on what I have, but as of June 2019 I can't promise anything is accurate!

Happy dragoning, and good luck fellow scientists!

February 12, 2019: @Lara8 alerted me that something seems to have changed in the lair revamp! That means it's time for
A call to SCIENCE!
I'm looking for players to collect information on feeding order in their lairs! If you want to help, please use a subsistence feeding style and fill out the below form with notes on who ate in what order & post it here!
(If you have too much food already converted or not enough breeds in your lair, spreading the word is appreciated!)

Subsistence Feeding Results: Flight Rising date you did the experiment
FIRST FOOD: whichever food you fed first
  1. first breed that ate
  2. second breed that ate
  3. third breed that ate
  4. fourth breed that ate
  5. fifth breed that ate
  6. sixth breed that ate
  7. seventh breed that ate
(Delete empty ones if your list isn't that long!)
...and so on, until you have info on your whole lair. COPYPASTA CODE BELOW:
Code:
[emoji=scroll] [u]Subsistence Feeding Results:[/u] [u]FIRST FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list] [u]SECOND FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list] [u]THIRD FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list] [u]FOURTH FOOD:[/u] [list=1][*] [*] [*] [*] [*] [/list]

Any and all help is DEEPLY appreciated. I'm not in a position to test this myself right now so I'm relying on other people to figure this out!
Please feel free to give me a prod if the spreadsheet permissions go wonky-- I know how to code a decent one, but I have little experience trying to partially share them around in an editable manner. A.K.A. if it blows up, post here to let me know.

[EDIT] September 28, 2016: I found the new Plant feed order! Meat is pending, curse you bogsneaks. (Double curse me and my food conversion decisions two weeks ago, oops.)

[EDIT] October 17, 2016: I SLACKED, but it's done! Bogsneaks are now full integrated into the feeding order & spreadsheet. Let me know if there are any errors; otherwise enjoy!
@Wobblegong
Ahhh awesome! Thank you for making this, I've actually been noticing some of these trends for a while but its nice to see how it works! Poor Coatls indeed.
@Wobblegong
Ahhh awesome! Thank you for making this, I've actually been noticing some of these trends for a while but its nice to see how it works! Poor Coatls indeed.
n1ngOA5.png

aeonox_signature_by_jenihudson-d8x54uk.png
@Wobblegong I had no idea that certain breeds went first! Thank you, this is extremely helpful!
@Wobblegong I had no idea that certain breeds went first! Thank you, this is extremely helpful!
7862891.png ___
Winged
She/her
FR +3
I love pings c:
____ 51027181.png
@Wobblegong
Thank you so much! I'm so glad I found this thread, so hopefully this bump will help others find it.

I can't see a "Send to" option for the spreadsheet. I know I can cut & paste, but I like learning a new thing every day, so this could be today's. Where is "Send to" in Google Docs?

I'm sending some dragons out for some R&R and now I know how much food to send, thanks!
@Wobblegong
Thank you so much! I'm so glad I found this thread, so hopefully this bump will help others find it.

I can't see a "Send to" option for the spreadsheet. I know I can cut & paste, but I like learning a new thing every day, so this could be today's. Where is "Send to" in Google Docs?

I'm sending some dragons out for some R&R and now I know how much food to send, thanks!
[quote name="Ruffian" date=2015-12-28 10:39:18]I can't see a "Send to" option for the spreadsheet. I know I can cut & paste, but I like learning a new thing every day, so this could be today's. Where is "Send to" in Google Docs?[/quote] First, I'm glad to hear this is helpful for you! Second, it's not super obvious so I'm happy to help. :D There may be a better/more efficient way to do this, but here's what works for me. [b][i]Instructions for: Chrome (close enough for Firefox too)[/i][/b] [LIST=1] [*]Make a blank spreadsheet, or decide which existing spreadsheet you'd like to add your feeding calc copy to. [*]In the Flight Rising Feeding Calculator, [LIST] [*]right click OR [*]click on the tiny triangle [/LIST] on the Calculator tab. You should get a menu of options. [img]http://i.imgur.com/bUUtO4E.png[/img] [*]Choose [b]Copy to...[/b] and a big ol' list of spreadsheets should appear. [img]http://i.imgur.com/W6eYa30.png[/img] [*]Find the sheet you want to save your calc copy to, pick it out, and hit Select. [*]If it worked, you should get a "success!" notification. [img]http://i.imgur.com/ddHctoj.png[/img] You can click that "Open target notebook" to be taken to where you saved it.[/LIST] @Ruffian That should do it, but let me know if you need more help. Happy feeding!
Ruffian wrote on 2015-12-28:
First, I'm glad to hear this is helpful for you!
Second, it's not super obvious so I'm happy to help. :D There may be a better/more efficient way to do this, but here's what works for me.

Instructions for: Chrome (close enough for Firefox too)
  1. Make a blank spreadsheet, or decide which existing spreadsheet you'd like to add your feeding calc copy to.
  2. In the Flight Rising Feeding Calculator,
    • right click OR
    • click on the tiny triangle
    on the Calculator tab. You should get a menu of options.

bUUtO4E.png
  3. Choose Copy to... and a big ol' list of spreadsheets should appear.

W6eYa30.png
  4. Find the sheet you want to save your calc copy to, pick it out, and hit Select.
  5. If it worked, you should get a "success!" notification.

ddHctoj.png

You can click that "Open target notebook" to be taken to where you saved it.

@Ruffian That should do it, but let me know if you need more help. Happy feeding!
@Wobblegong

Thanks so much! I learned my thing for today! I had already copied & pasted, but tried it your way for future reference, and it works perfectly.
@Wobblegong

Thanks so much! I learned my thing for today! I had already copied & pasted, but tried it your way for future reference, and it works perfectly.
whoa, nice. I might be needing this...
whoa, nice. I might be needing this...
TAkaIpD.png
@Wobblegong

AAAaahhhhhh! Thank you many times thank you. I've been playing around with selective feeding- with limited success. I could NOT figure out why my Coatls are starving! Also- the AGE thing! super helpful stuff.
@Wobblegong

AAAaahhhhhh! Thank you many times thank you. I've been playing around with selective feeding- with limited success. I could NOT figure out why my Coatls are starving! Also- the AGE thing! super helpful stuff.
Wc1Yv7K.png xod0tGx.png CHXYFcs.png
1 2 3 4