Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | High Resolution Color Wheel
So I didn't see this anywhere else, and it bothered me that the official one got pretty blurry when you zoomed in. So I fiddled around in illustrator and made a vector version. You can basically zoom in infinitely and never see the pixels now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByxQzVVDB-jiWjZ4YVgwckxTdU0/edit?usp=sharing

This file is 50X50 cm, (The circle is 45 in diameter), but I can adjust that, if anyone wanted this in a specific size. I could see someone printing this in a big poster size, and looking really good.

Also, are there any other design aspects that could be worth adding? Maybe a vertical list of colors? I can try my hand at any suggestions people may have, and I can also upload the illustrator file if anyone wants to mess around with that.
So I didn't see this anywhere else, and it bothered me that the official one got pretty blurry when you zoomed in. So I fiddled around in illustrator and made a vector version. You can basically zoom in infinitely and never see the pixels now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByxQzVVDB-jiWjZ4YVgwckxTdU0/edit?usp=sharing

This file is 50X50 cm, (The circle is 45 in diameter), but I can adjust that, if anyone wanted this in a specific size. I could see someone printing this in a big poster size, and looking really good.

Also, are there any other design aspects that could be worth adding? Maybe a vertical list of colors? I can try my hand at any suggestions people may have, and I can also upload the illustrator file if anyone wants to mess around with that.
@thatqueergamer: At least for me, the colors are displayed far from correctly...

To give a few examples:
Carmine, red, rust, tomato and brown are all the exact same medium brown hue.
Soil, slate, coal, forest and charcoal are all the exact same medium gray.
Black, midnight, shadow are all darker medium gray.
Coral and sand are the exact same light brown. (MANY doubles like that.)
Denim is green.
Pink is violet.
And so forth. The wheel only has 34-35 different colors.

It looks like the wheel was ported into a format with very limited color selection during some point, and the closest matches were picked?
@thatqueergamer: At least for me, the colors are displayed far from correctly...

To give a few examples:
Carmine, red, rust, tomato and brown are all the exact same medium brown hue.
Soil, slate, coal, forest and charcoal are all the exact same medium gray.
Black, midnight, shadow are all darker medium gray.
Coral and sand are the exact same light brown. (MANY doubles like that.)
Denim is green.
Pink is violet.
And so forth. The wheel only has 34-35 different colors.

It looks like the wheel was ported into a format with very limited color selection during some point, and the closest matches were picked?
It looks like preview for Google Drive is changing the colors. If you download the file, (Click the down arrow in the upper right, under "File"), then all the colors should show up correctly.
It looks like preview for Google Drive is changing the colors. If you download the file, (Click the down arrow in the upper right, under "File"), then all the colors should show up correctly.
Yeah, I had the same issue as Shienvien, but when I downloaded it, it worked fine. How funny XD
Yeah, I had the same issue as Shienvien, but when I downloaded it, it worked fine. How funny XD
tumblr_ntrk5fRxsj1sk2f1lo1_500.png
Ah, thank you so much for making this! The official wheel looks terrible on my retina screen. I thought I was going to have to make my own.
Ah, thank you so much for making this! The official wheel looks terrible on my retina screen. I thought I was going to have to make my own.
Here is a large PNG version with a different font (for improved legibility). Open in new tab for handy use. [img]http://oi61.tinypic.com/2nta237.jpg[/img]
Here is a large PNG version with a different font (for improved legibility). Open in new tab for handy use.
2nta237.jpg