Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Dragon Adaptations
1 2 3
I got bored, so I decided to entertain some thoughts I had about dragon adaptations and physiological differences. I mean, Sornieth has so many kinds of habitats and stuff. One cant really expect all dragons to look the same across all of them right? Did some doodles to explore the idea. Only did mirrors for now, but I may draw other species later on [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/d416/f/2018/108/d/e/earth_by_rey_com-dc96g6s.jpg[/img] Earth mirrors : tall, slender and lanky, inspired by cheetahs and the saluki dog. These mirrors are the tallest and fastest of their kind. On the ground, they are unmatched in terms of speed and stamina. They have frail wing muscles and a really small wingspan though, so the only thing their wings are good for is body heat regulation really. [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/7257/f/2018/108/4/3/nature_by_rey_com-dc96g4i.jpg[/img] Nature mirrors : compact and bulky. They have strong and defined muscles to allow them to stalk and prowl among the trees and undergrowth of their jungle habitat, and thanks to the abundance of food, they can find the resources to support this bulk. Not quite as fast as the earth mirrors, but definitely stronger than them. Wings are still relatively useless in flight, but they do use them to extend their leaps and glide between the branches. Based on/Inspired by jaguars [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/0785/f/2018/108/f/3/water_by_rey_com-dc96g5t.jpg[/img] Water mirrors : compact and streamlimed. They have shorter, yet more muscular tails due to its increased used as a propeller of sorts in the water. Has shorter, yet bulky limbs to aid in swimming and reduce drag/resistance. Wings have a more streamlined shape, but they mostly rely on their limbs and tail to swim. They use their wings perhaps to extend their jumps when leaping out of water. These guys also have webbed claws, gills and maybe even bioluminesence. Based on/inspired by otters. Water mirror in action: [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/d5c2/th/pre/f/2018/108/c/c/water_by_rey_com-dc98bja.jpg[/img] [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/201e/i/2018/108/4/1/plague_by_rey_com-dc96g35.jpg[/img] Plague mirrors : balanced, not as bulky as nature dragons but not as lanky as earth dragons. These guys are a blend of strength and speed and are the most adaptable of their kind. Based on canon mirror dragon design. Plague mirrors are hardy, but also more prone to abnormalities, particularly the growth of an extra set of limbs (hence the origin of the mirror name) [img]https://img00.deviantart.net/b0f8/i/2018/108/6/5/untitled_by_rey_com-dc96jew.jpg[/img] (Ill scan it later xD) Arcane mirrors would probably be prone to the "mirror" abnormality too. Wind mirrors are on the lanky, but compact side, but with impressive wingspans to allow them flight. Shadow mirrors would probably somewhat bulky like nature dragons, but someone smaller and slimmer perhaps? Light mirrors look pretty alike to their plague counterparts but are biologically less hardy. Im no animal/biology expert, but thinking on this is fun. XD
I got bored, so I decided to entertain some thoughts I had about dragon adaptations and physiological differences. I mean, Sornieth has so many kinds of habitats and stuff. One cant really expect all dragons to look the same across all of them right?

Did some doodles to explore the idea. Only did mirrors for now, but I may draw other species later on

earth_by_rey_com-dc96g6s.jpg

Earth mirrors : tall, slender and lanky, inspired by cheetahs and the saluki dog. These mirrors are the tallest and fastest of their kind. On the ground, they are unmatched in terms of speed and stamina. They have frail wing muscles and a really small wingspan though, so the only thing their wings are good for is body heat regulation really.

nature_by_rey_com-dc96g4i.jpg

Nature mirrors : compact and bulky. They have strong and defined muscles to allow them to stalk and prowl among the trees and undergrowth of their jungle habitat, and thanks to the abundance of food, they can find the resources to support this bulk. Not quite as fast as the earth mirrors, but definitely stronger than them. Wings are still relatively useless in flight, but they do use them to extend their leaps and glide between the branches. Based on/Inspired by jaguars

water_by_rey_com-dc96g5t.jpg

Water mirrors : compact and streamlimed. They have shorter, yet more muscular tails due to its increased used as a propeller of sorts in the water. Has shorter, yet bulky limbs to aid in swimming and reduce drag/resistance. Wings have a more streamlined shape, but they mostly rely on their limbs and tail to swim. They use their wings perhaps to extend their jumps when leaping out of water. These guys also have webbed claws, gills and maybe even bioluminesence. Based on/inspired by otters.

Water mirror in action:

water_by_rey_com-dc98bja.jpg

plague_by_rey_com-dc96g35.jpg

Plague mirrors : balanced, not as bulky as nature dragons but not as lanky as earth dragons. These guys are a blend of strength and speed and are the most adaptable of their kind. Based on canon mirror dragon design. Plague mirrors are hardy, but also more prone to abnormalities, particularly the growth of an extra set of limbs (hence the origin of the mirror name)

untitled_by_rey_com-dc96jew.jpg
(Ill scan it later xD)

Arcane mirrors would probably be prone to the "mirror" abnormality too. Wind mirrors are on the lanky, but compact side, but with impressive wingspans to allow them flight. Shadow mirrors would probably somewhat bulky like nature dragons, but someone smaller and slimmer perhaps? Light mirrors look pretty alike to their plague counterparts but are biologically less hardy.

Im no animal/biology expert, but thinking on this is fun. XD

I love all of this. The Earth sketch is my favorite (maybe because it doesn't have the little elbow fins)!

If you do other breeds, I would love a ping.

I love all of this. The Earth sketch is my favorite (maybe because it doesn't have the little elbow fins)!

If you do other breeds, I would love a ping.

Dw9BXE3.png
image.png flmLUZu.png
hey thats really great! let me write out something on spirals actually..
earth - strong arms and legs, really good for burrowing, worse fliers
plague - i dunno more mutations i guess? higher stamina(also applies to earth ones)?
wind - noodle
water - webbed fingers, but doesnt swim as often as they prefer to eat insects. so either way something to help them jump outta the water with no problem, and launch into flight from it.
lightning - can sustain themselves without water for long enough, since its a desert? might be faster, depending on what insects live in the area.
ice - some thicker layers of fat i guess, which helps them to stay warm. cant imagine many insects roaming around the southern icefield so more adapted to eat meat.
shadow - more protective scales so they wont be affected by thorns as much. pupils can be really hecking huge.
light - extra thin pupils. more protection from the solar rays?
arcane - mutations
nature - really fast fliers to catch prey easier, maybe noodlier for better disgtuise with thorns if they need to but this might be a separate subspecies altogether.
fire - can be in large heat with no problem, i dont know what else, maybe less fat to not melt as well?
hey thats really great! let me write out something on spirals actually..
earth - strong arms and legs, really good for burrowing, worse fliers
plague - i dunno more mutations i guess? higher stamina(also applies to earth ones)?
wind - noodle
water - webbed fingers, but doesnt swim as often as they prefer to eat insects. so either way something to help them jump outta the water with no problem, and launch into flight from it.
lightning - can sustain themselves without water for long enough, since its a desert? might be faster, depending on what insects live in the area.
ice - some thicker layers of fat i guess, which helps them to stay warm. cant imagine many insects roaming around the southern icefield so more adapted to eat meat.
shadow - more protective scales so they wont be affected by thorns as much. pupils can be really hecking huge.
light - extra thin pupils. more protection from the solar rays?
arcane - mutations
nature - really fast fliers to catch prey easier, maybe noodlier for better disgtuise with thorns if they need to but this might be a separate subspecies altogether.
fire - can be in large heat with no problem, i dont know what else, maybe less fat to not melt as well?
|||||zel
Glowbug she/her
actual spore creature
Oh these are good! I was honestly kind of disappointed with the fact that a dragon will be the breed standard for one of its parents every time, so I love to see these ideas of diversity among elements within breeds!
Oh these are good! I was honestly kind of disappointed with the fact that a dragon will be the breed standard for one of its parents every time, so I love to see these ideas of diversity among elements within breeds!
dDVbBvO.pngaOKWJGu.gif
That's super cool. Love the idea of variations in dragon species; it only makes sense! Awesome drawings btw :)
That's super cool. Love the idea of variations in dragon species; it only makes sense! Awesome drawings btw :)
JNgbpVq.gif
[url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2380813/1#post_2380813]Lore buddy[/url] ping list: [b](add me as a friend and comment on my profile page to be added!)[/b] [size=7]Please remove this ping list so that you don't ping +100 users.[/size] [s]my internet keeps me from editing posts fast enough and properly[/s] [size=1][size=1][size=1]@ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @PoorLifeChoices, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @Duskflame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles,@3idolon,@Kaibutsu,@DarkwingDove, @ColoradoBlues @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @WhiteDiamond ,@RingsofSaturn, @MagicSpyglass,@Rocwylde, @Artificiary,@ILUVDRAGONS, @throwaway181,@L2B,@Kittystar,@riseandshine, @luminousnoble, @Spottedleaves1,@Gaming4Lyfe @MiniDrachin @Katsuokai @AetherDragon @Kano3Shuuya @Caravan @EmeraldJubilee @TheEngineer @Kristan @Inkapede @KitApparently @girlgirlDragon @JonTargaryen @CassieRose @Chimaerix @Comic1Sans @CrazyRedFire @QuetzalQueen @FlamingSwallow @ookamisoulreaper @HyperionForge @Starglade @Galaxiel @biochemist @P4810 @CrAZDragon @Skyfire7 @AnacondaMiracle @Kerriganne @Cumulus @Aaliyahgemini664 @Smirch @Nomo2001 @RecursionErr0r @Scorporius @Kapara @GuidanceOfficer @Espeon5712 @Druddigon @Thace @MrFrenchFrybrows @RicochetRomance @FluffyTundras @CloverGaming @argylion @starryfruit @Eiira @NovaAurora @dinosaur42 @TimeStandStill @browncoatparadox @TropicalDiamonds @Cytus @RattleSnakes @SariStar @Kirrandria @clw23 @Hinumi @ThornOfStorm130 @FireStarter007 @mnkn10 @Dragonartist24 @Mikann @Namira @Nomo2001 @Drakenhart @PastCat @ArtsyDragon7 @Mediumdee @Stanari @CosmicTrash @W1F1N1GHTM4R3 @MidnightWatcher @SilverCentaur @Hashira @Temporaryreality @dragonhorselover @IronPen @GrumpyCatlover @Sassibirb @AlphaP456 @Araucaria @Bufftuffandfluff @Ketzexi @TheGodOfStories @Gravebloom @nebulavery @Drakzaen @TheClassCalico @SalmonnFishie @Lunakitty @Jeevas @rluie @Sparkbreeze @aly922 @buggy101 @WhiteGrizzly @ilimati @Qhersek @Tynnk [/size][/size][/size] What's cool is that IIRC this is confirmed with some QnA's with the mods. Mostly centering around tundras. [quote] Is a Tundras fur water-resistant, or would any non-water tundra thrown into the water suddenly weigh twice its original weight from its fur soaking it up? Their fur is water-resistant, but not water proof. They have a double coat. If water penetrates the coarse outer coat protected by natural oils and reaches the undercoat, the tundra would become wet and waterlogged. [/quote] [quote]Do lightning tundras experience floofy fur from all the electricity It's certainly something that can happen, much like fire tundras can experience singed fur. Calling on elemental powers does pose some hazards! More so to the dragons around the caster than the caster themselves! [/quote] [quote]What happens if a tundra is in their winter coat, wedged over The Great Furnace, and is in high humidity? [img]https://i.imgur.com/4Ecke.jpg[/img][/quote] of corse id imagen over time perhaps some sub-breeds start to develop tolerances to these short comings. ============== OH FOUDN IT [quote] http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/446#post_19994891 While this would fall under a case such as the winter coat Tundras (not reflected on dragons), lore-wise would dragons exhibit subtle different appearances depending on their location (at least for breeds in their native locations)? A slightly fluffier Tundra in the Southern Icefields; Nocturnes with more/sharper spines in the Tangled Woods etc? Absolutely. You'd likely find a lot of these subtle variations, borne directly from the dragons' environment and their clan lines. Some more potent magic users may even make these changes throughout the calendar year.[/quote] yeah what your throwing down is cannon! @Reybon
Lore buddy ping list: (add me as a friend and comment on my profile page to be added!)

Please remove this ping list so that you don't ping +100 users. my internet keeps me from editing posts fast enough and properly
@ArtsyDragon7, @Kawootie, @GlitterDCMarvel, @WhySoDelirious, @PoorLifeChoices, @Amyatzu, @JadeMagic, @CrystalRush, @Leopardmask, @violalore, @bowserslave, @Ellapinky, @JumpScared, @JadeFlame, @Duskflame, @TheElfDruid,@Rinwood,@DiamondNoodles,@3idolon,@Kaibutsu,@DarkwingDove, @ColoradoBlues @ClockworkEclipse, @SleepyChipmunk @Sabriel415, @DarkVSO, @WhiteDiamond ,@RingsofSaturn, @MagicSpyglass,@Rocwylde, @Artificiary,@ILUVDRAGONS, @throwaway181,@L2B,@Kittystar,@riseandshine, @luminousnoble, @Spottedleaves1,@Gaming4Lyfe @MiniDrachin @Katsuokai @AetherDragon @Kano3Shuuya @Caravan @EmeraldJubilee @TheEngineer @Kristan @Inkapede @KitApparently @girlgirlDragon @JonTargaryen @CassieRose @Chimaerix @Comic1Sans @CrazyRedFire @QuetzalQueen @FlamingSwallow @ookamisoulreaper @HyperionForge @Starglade @Galaxiel @biochemist @P4810 @CrAZDragon @Skyfire7 @AnacondaMiracle @Kerriganne @Cumulus @Aaliyahgemini664
@Smirch @Nomo2001 @RecursionErr0r @Scorporius @Kapara @GuidanceOfficer @Espeon5712 @Druddigon @Thace @MrFrenchFrybrows @RicochetRomance @FluffyTundras @CloverGaming @argylion @starryfruit @Eiira @NovaAurora @dinosaur42 @TimeStandStill @browncoatparadox @TropicalDiamonds @Cytus @RattleSnakes @SariStar @Kirrandria @clw23 @Hinumi @ThornOfStorm130 @FireStarter007 @mnkn10 @Dragonartist24 @Mikann @Namira @Nomo2001 @Drakenhart @PastCat @ArtsyDragon7 @Mediumdee @Stanari @CosmicTrash @W1F1N1GHTM4R3
@MidnightWatcher @SilverCentaur @Hashira @Temporaryreality @dragonhorselover @IronPen @GrumpyCatlover
@Sassibirb @AlphaP456 @Araucaria @Bufftuffandfluff @Ketzexi @TheGodOfStories @Gravebloom @nebulavery @Drakzaen @TheClassCalico @SalmonnFishie @Lunakitty @Jeevas @rluie
@Sparkbreeze @aly922 @buggy101 @WhiteGrizzly @ilimati @Qhersek @Tynnk

What's cool is that IIRC this is confirmed with some QnA's with the mods. Mostly centering around tundras.
Quote:
Is a Tundras fur water-resistant, or would any non-water tundra thrown into the water suddenly weigh twice its original weight from its fur soaking it up?

Their fur is water-resistant, but not water proof. They have a double coat. If water penetrates the coarse outer coat protected by natural oils and reaches the undercoat, the tundra would become wet and waterlogged.
Quote:
Do lightning tundras experience floofy fur from all the electricity

It's certainly something that can happen, much like fire tundras can experience singed fur. Calling on elemental powers does pose some hazards! More so to the dragons around the caster than the caster themselves!

Quote:
What happens if a tundra is in their winter coat, wedged over The Great Furnace, and is in high humidity?
4Ecke.jpg

of corse id imagen over time perhaps some sub-breeds start to develop tolerances to these short comings.

==============

OH FOUDN IT

Quote:
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/446#post_19994891

While this would fall under a case such as the winter coat Tundras (not reflected on dragons), lore-wise would dragons exhibit subtle different appearances depending on their location (at least for breeds in their native locations)? A slightly fluffier Tundra in the Southern Icefields; Nocturnes with more/sharper spines in the Tangled Woods etc?

Absolutely. You'd likely find a lot of these subtle variations, borne directly from the dragons' environment and their clan lines. Some more potent magic users may even make these changes throughout the calendar year.

yeah what your throwing down is cannon! @Reybon
ary22F6.gif5nBi9J2.gifOfF9Gci.gif
(I'll reply to rhe rest of y'all in the morning)

@snowpuppers

I initially thought earthies would be strong and bulky too, but then I considered the barren landscape and thought would bulky, strong predators thrive in that place? I suppose it depends on the creature, but Mirrors seem to be a high-metabolism predator species so I felt that bulky mirrors just cant find the resources they need in a barren landscape to maintain muscles on top of their metabolism already, hence the thinner look.

I suppose earth guardians or ridgebacks could have the characteristics you described though. Like other reptiles, they might have slower metabolisms and can go for long periods without food or water.

Just my two cents though! I like the idea of protective eye covers :)
(I'll reply to rhe rest of y'all in the morning)

@snowpuppers

I initially thought earthies would be strong and bulky too, but then I considered the barren landscape and thought would bulky, strong predators thrive in that place? I suppose it depends on the creature, but Mirrors seem to be a high-metabolism predator species so I felt that bulky mirrors just cant find the resources they need in a barren landscape to maintain muscles on top of their metabolism already, hence the thinner look.

I suppose earth guardians or ridgebacks could have the characteristics you described though. Like other reptiles, they might have slower metabolisms and can go for long periods without food or water.

Just my two cents though! I like the idea of protective eye covers :)
Where's that graphic where someone drew imperial busts based on all the elements?
Where's that graphic where someone drew imperial busts based on all the elements?
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
@snowpuppers

Ahhhhhh I wish I could draw these already
Thanks for the ideas

I just realized ridgebacks exclusively eat seafood?
How the frick do they survive in Earth flight territory? XD
@snowpuppers

Ahhhhhh I wish I could draw these already
Thanks for the ideas

I just realized ridgebacks exclusively eat seafood?
How the frick do they survive in Earth flight territory? XD
@Reybon piles of pebbles in the shape of fish
@Reybon piles of pebbles in the shape of fish
dDVbBvO.pngaOKWJGu.gif
1 2 3