Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How big are the territories? Answer: BIG
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[font=timesnewroman] Aight, so as a role-player, something that's always seemed off to me is the speed at which dragons travel through certain areas of the world. A day's flight? A few day's walk? While that all seems fine for roleplay to speed things along, this doesn't seem right. I mean, there are thousands of clans in Sornieth. Surely they all need a lot of space, and some in between? So here are some rough guesstimates I'm going to make. First off, let's start with the Labyrinth. Let's say we have a wolf pack with [b]20[/b] wolves. According to different sources, wolf pack territories range anywhere from [b]30[/b] to [b]1,000 square miles.[/b] Since we're thinking about the Labyrinth, which is a very bountiful area, let's put this low at around [b]100 square miles per clan.[/b] My main vantage from this is that if you were to walk for [b]3.7 hours[/b], you would make it from one end of the territory to the other. We can also assume this is the average clan size at around 20 dragons, balancing out the inactive accounts with the 150+ dragon accounts. Here's where the numbers get bigger. Nature has 28,114 clans. If each clan had 100 sqm of space, that's nearly [i][b]2.8 million square miles.[/b][/i] To put this in comparison, Australia has an area of [b]2.9 million square miles.[/b] Note: I dramatically changed my stance on how big each territory should be. The original calculation was that the Labyrinth was larger than Russia. And while that's disappointing it's not that big, Australia is still huge. Plus, I didn't factor in any unused space or bodies of water. But like [i]guys[/i] [IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/143pdzc.jpg[/IMG] Imagine how [i]big[/i] the Behemoth is. ([url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2168636/7]This is how big it is![/url]) But anyways: We aren't done quite yet! :,,) Okay, so the average walking speed is around 3 mph. Of course, that's for a human, but I feel like it would be easier for us to imagine rather than try and guess at a dragon's walking speed. If we cut down the Labyrinth into the four sections, that equals very roughly to [b]702.8 thousand sqm, or a bit smaller than the country of Sudan.[/b] For each part of the Labyrinth. If we were to assume the Labyrinth was a circle (which if you look at the map, it could be considered a very rough one), it would be [b]1,888 miles across in diameter.[/b] We can measure in human terms, being that it's easier to imagine rather than guessing dragon speed. 1,888 miles / 3 mph = [b]629 hours in all to walk across it.[/b] Let's say a dragon walks for 11 hours a day on their journey. That is [b]57 days to cross the Labyrinth, or up to 2 months of travel.[/b] This is to the part where I was able to guess at the territory. For our territory of an 100 sqm circle, we can figure that the diameter is [b]11.2 miles[/b], which means from any end you can walk to the other in about [b]3.7 hours[/b]. If you wanted to go anywhere from the middle, or the camp, it would take you roughly [b]1.8 hours[/b]. Want to know the best part? [i]Nature isn't even the largest territory[/i]. I'm not doing the math for all of them, but if you feel like figuring some stuff out for your flight (maybe in a better and more precise way than I did lmao) I'll definitely add it up here. [b]EXTRAS:[/b] [quote name="Whim" date=2017-04-17 20:20:14] [font=timesnewroman] At a constant flying speed of 50 mph for 11 hours everyday, you could cross The Labyrinth in about [b]3.5 days[/b]. To fly across the territory, it would be only [b]22 minutes.[/b] [/quote]

Aight, so as a role-player, something that's always seemed off to me is the speed at which dragons travel through certain areas of the world. A day's flight? A few day's walk? While that all seems fine for roleplay to speed things along, this doesn't seem right.

I mean, there are thousands of clans in Sornieth. Surely they all need a lot of space, and some in between?

So here are some rough guesstimates I'm going to make. First off, let's start with the Labyrinth.

Let's say we have a wolf pack with 20 wolves. According to different sources, wolf pack territories range anywhere from 30 to 1,000 square miles.

Since we're thinking about the Labyrinth, which is a very bountiful area, let's put this low at around 100 square miles per clan. My main vantage from this is that if you were to walk for 3.7 hours, you would make it from one end of the territory to the other.

We can also assume this is the average clan size at around 20 dragons, balancing out the inactive accounts with the 150+ dragon accounts.

Here's where the numbers get bigger. Nature has 28,114 clans. If each clan had 100 sqm of space, that's nearly 2.8 million square miles.

To put this in comparison, Australia has an area of 2.9 million square miles.

Note: I dramatically changed my stance on how big each territory should be. The original calculation was that the Labyrinth was larger than Russia. And while that's disappointing it's not that big, Australia is still huge. Plus, I didn't factor in any unused space or bodies of water.

But like

guys

143pdzc.jpg

Imagine how big the Behemoth is. (This is how big it is!)

But anyways:

We aren't done quite yet! :,,)

Okay, so the average walking speed is around 3 mph. Of course, that's for a human, but I feel like it would be easier for us to imagine rather than try and guess at a dragon's walking speed.

If we cut down the Labyrinth into the four sections, that equals very roughly to 702.8 thousand sqm, or a bit smaller than the country of Sudan. For each part of the Labyrinth.

If we were to assume the Labyrinth was a circle (which if you look at the map, it could be considered a very rough one), it would be 1,888 miles across in diameter. We can measure in human terms, being that it's easier to imagine rather than guessing dragon speed.

1,888 miles / 3 mph = 629 hours in all to walk across it.

Let's say a dragon walks for 11 hours a day on their journey. That is 57 days to cross the Labyrinth, or up to 2 months of travel.

This is to the part where I was able to guess at the territory. For our territory of an 100 sqm circle, we can figure that the diameter is 11.2 miles, which means from any end you can walk to the other in about 3.7 hours. If you wanted to go anywhere from the middle, or the camp, it would take you roughly 1.8 hours.

Want to know the best part? Nature isn't even the largest territory. I'm not doing the math for all of them, but if you feel like figuring some stuff out for your flight (maybe in a better and more precise way than I did lmao) I'll definitely add it up here.

EXTRAS:
Whim wrote on 2017-04-17:

At a constant flying speed of 50 mph for 11 hours everyday, you could cross The Labyrinth in about 3.5 days. To fly across the territory, it would be only 22 minutes.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhIHd9PNx.gif
pop-up art shop

she/her
FR +3
Woahhh
Woahhh
gNi9LVf.png 9hqcHsy.png
J8zFKyY.png
y0rbHJY.png
bYt72YT.png
J7D1quC.png
............................................... ifIyPFY.pngndhVaSp.png
it's so big.....

If the lore is true when it says the Behemoth can be seen from anywhere in Sornieth, that is one absolutely massive tree.

Nice math stuff!
it's so big.....

If the lore is true when it says the Behemoth can be seen from anywhere in Sornieth, that is one absolutely massive tree.

Nice math stuff!
Art Shop:Open!
Good thing dragons can fly.
Good thing dragons can fly.
25781.png xxxFramexxx
xMarley
They/he/she
Wishlist
x NXDDrCY.gif
*side eyes over at my painter dragon who, according to his lore, takes a short trip over to Arcane territory (from the Sea of a Thousand Currents) to paint someone's portrait*
Yeah okay so maybe it isn't a 'short' trip
*side eyes over at my painter dragon who, according to his lore, takes a short trip over to Arcane territory (from the Sea of a Thousand Currents) to paint someone's portrait*
Yeah okay so maybe it isn't a 'short' trip
S1RYPFw.png
Wow. That is incredibly unexpected. I wonder how large the Southern Icefield is. Though, I don't really want to do all that math.
Wow. That is incredibly unexpected. I wonder how large the Southern Icefield is. Though, I don't really want to do all that math.
tq6VrgN.png

Mai/Mat
he/they/it
That is one gigantic tree. 0-0 And 5 months by foot is no joke lmao. If someone decides to do another calculation please ping me. C:
That is one gigantic tree. 0-0 And 5 months by foot is no joke lmao. If someone decides to do another calculation please ping me. C:
@Whim Good math skills! XD And yep to me Sornieth is absolutely HUGE. In my lore, I have two territories on the Windswept Plateau. I have Twisting Lights, which is near the Twisting Crescendo and is where the bulk of the clan lives because its the largest (and original) land that was claimed by my clan. And then I have Wysteria, which is a smaller harbor up in the Cloudsong, and basically how the map of the Plateau is situated my dragons have to cross the entire Plateau to move between the two territories.

So in my lore it can take nearly 5-6 days (for medium sized dragons) flying to get back and forth. Of course, being a wind clan we have airships that dragons can ride that shorten that journey to 2-3 days.

But yeah, Sornieth has always been big to me even in rps!
@Whim Good math skills! XD And yep to me Sornieth is absolutely HUGE. In my lore, I have two territories on the Windswept Plateau. I have Twisting Lights, which is near the Twisting Crescendo and is where the bulk of the clan lives because its the largest (and original) land that was claimed by my clan. And then I have Wysteria, which is a smaller harbor up in the Cloudsong, and basically how the map of the Plateau is situated my dragons have to cross the entire Plateau to move between the two territories.

So in my lore it can take nearly 5-6 days (for medium sized dragons) flying to get back and forth. Of course, being a wind clan we have airships that dragons can ride that shorten that journey to 2-3 days.

But yeah, Sornieth has always been big to me even in rps!
XriSV9h.gif
@Whim
How fast would it take to fly across the labyrinth, guessing that dragons can fly around 40-60 miles per hour (probably more for more air oriented breeds like skydancers)
@Whim
How fast would it take to fly across the labyrinth, guessing that dragons can fly around 40-60 miles per hour (probably more for more air oriented breeds like skydancers)
25781.png xxxFramexxx
xMarley
They/he/she
Wishlist
x NXDDrCY.gif
I applaud the math, seriously. A tree the size of the US scares me.

christ, i wonder how big the largest territory is
I applaud the math, seriously. A tree the size of the US scares me.

christ, i wonder how big the largest territory is
CxEBf1c.png xx lark
he/him
+2 fr time
x
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10