Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Lore HUB (SS2017 Advent Calendar)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58 59
@MagpieScholar

Can I just say that the "Ooh! Oomancy" alliteration made my day. I think the specifics of the sign can vary, I just would like it to be able to be cryptic. It allows for variation in how accepting of the rep the originating clan is. Not sure I'd use it myself, but I like that it is there.
@MagpieScholar

Can I just say that the "Ooh! Oomancy" alliteration made my day. I think the specifics of the sign can vary, I just would like it to be able to be cryptic. It allows for variation in how accepting of the rep the originating clan is. Not sure I'd use it myself, but I like that it is there.
@Wintercreek

I see only one dragon that I would write Lore for but nothing is coming to mind so I am going to pass for Ice dragons. I cant wait to see what the Lore for these dragons are.
@Wintercreek

I see only one dragon that I would write Lore for but nothing is coming to mind so I am going to pass for Ice dragons. I cant wait to see what the Lore for these dragons are.
4sMOFQ8.pnghVHlIic.png
As has been suggested in the main hub, the price tag for the "normal" reps is 175 tickets per dragon.
That's 175kt if we use 1 ticket=1kt ratio from the raffle itself.
But I can't determine how much in length (words? paragraphs?) it would be. Anyone here has any experience with lore/bio commissions?
As has been suggested in the main hub, the price tag for the "normal" reps is 175 tickets per dragon.
That's 175kt if we use 1 ticket=1kt ratio from the raffle itself.
But I can't determine how much in length (words? paragraphs?) it would be. Anyone here has any experience with lore/bio commissions?
zg9UeWS.png {Wishlist}

Free/PWYW dragons
Please don't send me travellers outside the travelling game thread.
@heartcrusher1 @Pard @Emordnilap @MagpieScholar @taat60

To make the deluxe dragons ~fancier~ the lore writers for the deluxe dragons will be coordinating with the deluxe dragon artist. Since you all expressed interest in one of the deluxe dragons I wanted to let you know that a head of time in case you wanted to change your picks :)

Thank you!
@heartcrusher1 @Pard @Emordnilap @MagpieScholar @taat60

To make the deluxe dragons ~fancier~ the lore writers for the deluxe dragons will be coordinating with the deluxe dragon artist. Since you all expressed interest in one of the deluxe dragons I wanted to let you know that a head of time in case you wanted to change your picks :)

Thank you!
g7wLQz3.gifjhqsk9S.png
@KaiMalut, tbh the ticket stuff is slightly confusing to me (I have a numbers problem). If we are basing the ticket amounts off of the length of the lore that makes sense. My confusion comes in with the 175 tickets thing. Is that the max you can earn per dragon? Per lore? To be divided among everyone who works on the dragon? I am very confused lol.
@KaiMalut, tbh the ticket stuff is slightly confusing to me (I have a numbers problem). If we are basing the ticket amounts off of the length of the lore that makes sense. My confusion comes in with the 175 tickets thing. Is that the max you can earn per dragon? Per lore? To be divided among everyone who works on the dragon? I am very confused lol.
g7wLQz3.gifjhqsk9S.png
@Allunar
@arrowe3
@BadgerStripes
@basicblack1986
@beargirl1393
@BlackSherruk
@Breshcandra
@Chrisondra
@Crescentstar711
@Emordnilap
@Fizzywits
@heartcrusher1
@humanityxpeople
@Jirazeil
@KaiMalut
@KatzPetz
@korradorable
@kriskrossness
@Krycelli
@MagpieScholar
@Melodious
@Pard
@PastCat
@PrimeNumbersCas
@Rhabdo
@SocialBookworm
@taat60
@Valyrie
@Wintercreek
@Witchfire
@WyldDandelyon
@Zygon

Alrighty! So, after taking into consideration the survey results (with 18 people responding - better than half of the writers) and the input on the thread itself it seems like we have come to a vague consensus. The majority of writers like the idea of the background lore that the dragons are marked to be called by their deity to go on a "pilgrimage" or "calling", but can react to this calling in a multitude of ways. From embracing it, to rejecting it, to being rejected themselves there is a lot of things to play with here.

Now, it also seems to be fairly agreed upon that you shouldn't have to take part in this lore (though it seems the majority would like to do so). To that end I would like to make it so that there is one background story that you can take part in if you like, except if you opt to write for a Deluxe who will be part of this story. (Other dragons can take part or not, but the Deluxe have to be a part of this "canon").

On to the story itself: It seems fairly agreed upon that the dragon will be "marked" for this calling, but there's slight disagreement as to how. The options so far are:

- A mark or pattern upon the egg
- The way the egg shells fall when the dragon hatches
- A mark on the dragon themselves (which could be invisible until a certain phase of the moon or some such).

I'll let you guys talk about the specifics of the lore until Friday when I'll sum everything up again and put up the results :)

What does everyone think? Do we have any concerns or questions? Or alternate ideas? If you aren't comfortable talking in the thread please feel free to PM me. I promise I'll listen to what you say and I don't judge <3

tl;dr - Results say one cohesive lore that you can opt out of if you're not comfortable with it. Deluxe dragons can't opt out. Now... what exactly is the lore??
@Allunar
@arrowe3
@BadgerStripes
@basicblack1986
@beargirl1393
@BlackSherruk
@Breshcandra
@Chrisondra
@Crescentstar711
@Emordnilap
@Fizzywits
@heartcrusher1
@humanityxpeople
@Jirazeil
@KaiMalut
@KatzPetz
@korradorable
@kriskrossness
@Krycelli
@MagpieScholar
@Melodious
@Pard
@PastCat
@PrimeNumbersCas
@Rhabdo
@SocialBookworm
@taat60
@Valyrie
@Wintercreek
@Witchfire
@WyldDandelyon
@Zygon

Alrighty! So, after taking into consideration the survey results (with 18 people responding - better than half of the writers) and the input on the thread itself it seems like we have come to a vague consensus. The majority of writers like the idea of the background lore that the dragons are marked to be called by their deity to go on a "pilgrimage" or "calling", but can react to this calling in a multitude of ways. From embracing it, to rejecting it, to being rejected themselves there is a lot of things to play with here.

Now, it also seems to be fairly agreed upon that you shouldn't have to take part in this lore (though it seems the majority would like to do so). To that end I would like to make it so that there is one background story that you can take part in if you like, except if you opt to write for a Deluxe who will be part of this story. (Other dragons can take part or not, but the Deluxe have to be a part of this "canon").

On to the story itself: It seems fairly agreed upon that the dragon will be "marked" for this calling, but there's slight disagreement as to how. The options so far are:

- A mark or pattern upon the egg
- The way the egg shells fall when the dragon hatches
- A mark on the dragon themselves (which could be invisible until a certain phase of the moon or some such).

I'll let you guys talk about the specifics of the lore until Friday when I'll sum everything up again and put up the results :)

What does everyone think? Do we have any concerns or questions? Or alternate ideas? If you aren't comfortable talking in the thread please feel free to PM me. I promise I'll listen to what you say and I don't judge <3

tl;dr - Results say one cohesive lore that you can opt out of if you're not comfortable with it. Deluxe dragons can't opt out. Now... what exactly is the lore??
g7wLQz3.gifjhqsk9S.png
I don't think the omens/signs/markings should be uniform. Such things are meant to be mysterious and magical, not cut-and-dried---and some dragons might have a history of the signs being misinterpreted, missed, ignored, or even undermined by parents who didn't want their children marked for strange lives.

I love the message of peace from a Christmastime standpoint, but aren't the deities always warring with each other? How do we reconcile those things?

Perhaps the dragons are given a message/inborn conviction for some kind of holy pilgrimage--to promote a trip to some sacred space or to the birthplaces of each dragon species or to one special location in each elemental realm? Or maybe they're visited by a mysterious elder Elemental Representative while they are young?
I don't think the omens/signs/markings should be uniform. Such things are meant to be mysterious and magical, not cut-and-dried---and some dragons might have a history of the signs being misinterpreted, missed, ignored, or even undermined by parents who didn't want their children marked for strange lives.

I love the message of peace from a Christmastime standpoint, but aren't the deities always warring with each other? How do we reconcile those things?

Perhaps the dragons are given a message/inborn conviction for some kind of holy pilgrimage--to promote a trip to some sacred space or to the birthplaces of each dragon species or to one special location in each elemental realm? Or maybe they're visited by a mysterious elder Elemental Representative while they are young?
bUUy115.png PLAY IS SACRED QiZFijL.png

tumblr_d80ca4e90bc366798eb4fe4971e57d86_b60cba99_2048.png
@Wintercreek

I take it that the 175 is the max amount of tickets that you can get for a bio. That's the max amount a leveller can get for leveling a dragon from lvl 1 to lvl 25, so in order to make sure all jobbers can gain the same max amount of tickets, this 175 number was used as a base.
Or something like that.
It is for us to decide how we would break our ticketing system. Obviously we would base it on length but how much it A LOT? 1000+ words=175 tickets? 5000+ characters with spaces=175 tickets? I don't think measuring in paragraphs is wise, because paragraphs can vary in length. For me basing it on the amount of characters with spaces is ideal but I don't know how much it a lot. ~10k characters with spaces is around 1000 words in English.

Edit: what if we award 1 ticket per 100 chars with spaces? Then 175 tickets=17500 chars with space=~1750 words. That's a short story!
@Wintercreek

I take it that the 175 is the max amount of tickets that you can get for a bio. That's the max amount a leveller can get for leveling a dragon from lvl 1 to lvl 25, so in order to make sure all jobbers can gain the same max amount of tickets, this 175 number was used as a base.
Or something like that.
It is for us to decide how we would break our ticketing system. Obviously we would base it on length but how much it A LOT? 1000+ words=175 tickets? 5000+ characters with spaces=175 tickets? I don't think measuring in paragraphs is wise, because paragraphs can vary in length. For me basing it on the amount of characters with spaces is ideal but I don't know how much it a lot. ~10k characters with spaces is around 1000 words in English.

Edit: what if we award 1 ticket per 100 chars with spaces? Then 175 tickets=17500 chars with space=~1750 words. That's a short story!
zg9UeWS.png {Wishlist}

Free/PWYW dragons
Please don't send me travellers outside the travelling game thread.
@WyldDandelyon (and everyone else of course)

We were thinking earlier that the mark could be the mark of the Flight (they are supposed to be flight reps after all). And if it was only visible during a certain moon or so, it'd be easy for the artists to incorporate if they want to or not if they don't.

The deities are always warring, but does that have to mean that that's the only thing they want for their subjects? Maybe this pilgrimage is their way of trying for a more lasting peace. I've always seen this time as the deities being on the brink of peace anyways. Like, everyone has warred for such a long time already that by now it's more of a contest than an actual war. Or maybe even the deities want to have a few weeks of peace in the year. It must get tiring after a while.

This is how we figured it'd be while we were talking in the discord:
The Call would in this case be the 'inborn conviction for a holy pilgrimage', which would be the spreading of the teachings of their deity or the ways of the other clans they have met on the way. One day, they'd be Called by their deity. Before that, they'd just live in ignorance of their purpose and no one would know what the heck those markings were for (and clans would react differently to them). The pilgrimage would be their journey to the clan they'll be raffled off to. And the message of peace would come from the mixing of cultures and beliefs. They'd essentially be spreading tolerance for differences. ...If they want to accept the Call of course. xD

@WyldDandelyon (and everyone else of course)

We were thinking earlier that the mark could be the mark of the Flight (they are supposed to be flight reps after all). And if it was only visible during a certain moon or so, it'd be easy for the artists to incorporate if they want to or not if they don't.

The deities are always warring, but does that have to mean that that's the only thing they want for their subjects? Maybe this pilgrimage is their way of trying for a more lasting peace. I've always seen this time as the deities being on the brink of peace anyways. Like, everyone has warred for such a long time already that by now it's more of a contest than an actual war. Or maybe even the deities want to have a few weeks of peace in the year. It must get tiring after a while.

This is how we figured it'd be while we were talking in the discord:
The Call would in this case be the 'inborn conviction for a holy pilgrimage', which would be the spreading of the teachings of their deity or the ways of the other clans they have met on the way. One day, they'd be Called by their deity. Before that, they'd just live in ignorance of their purpose and no one would know what the heck those markings were for (and clans would react differently to them). The pilgrimage would be their journey to the clan they'll be raffled off to. And the message of peace would come from the mixing of cultures and beliefs. They'd essentially be spreading tolerance for differences. ...If they want to accept the Call of course. xD

@WyldDandelyon @Witchfire Hmm ... if we do want to specify the pilgrimage a little further, I think there's an argument to be made for a message about the importance of the conflict, and that the struggle between the deities is not necessarily an evil, or hateful, or a contradiction to peace between their worshippers.

This is more Solstice-y than Christmas-y in theme, but it doesn't make it weird to use the dragon as a trainer in a dom push for the recipient!

It also can go very Christmas-cheer -- "The deities battle, but the want us to know it's because they love us and Sornieth and that we should be good to each other anyway" -- or kind of winter-creepy depending on the lore writer's preference.
@WyldDandelyon @Witchfire Hmm ... if we do want to specify the pilgrimage a little further, I think there's an argument to be made for a message about the importance of the conflict, and that the struggle between the deities is not necessarily an evil, or hateful, or a contradiction to peace between their worshippers.

This is more Solstice-y than Christmas-y in theme, but it doesn't make it weird to use the dragon as a trainer in a dom push for the recipient!

It also can go very Christmas-cheer -- "The deities battle, but the want us to know it's because they love us and Sornieth and that we should be good to each other anyway" -- or kind of winter-creepy depending on the lore writer's preference.
d68awk1.pnggnImhnO.pngHNETOrN.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58 59