Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Tengu vs. Corven
1 2 3
[columns][color=transparent]00[/color][item=tengu caller][item=tengu][nextcol][size=5][b]Tengu vs. Corven[/b][/size][nextcol][item=wandering surgepriest][item=greybeak reaper][/columns] [quote=Talonok Encycopledia Entry] [indent][i]During the earliest days of Corven enlightenment, those who delved too far into dark, paranormal activities were eventually driven insane and soon found completely missing in large swaths. Corven lost to these harrowing events (referred to thereafter as "tengu") are said to be seen on dark nights, lurking between dead trees. They are hollow, aggressive, and primal.[/i][/indent] [/quote] A Corven who has given into this darkness is called a Tengu. We didn't know this back in the olden days of FR when the Harpy's Roost was the highest coli venue; we only knew them as the Tengu and the Wandering Surgepriest. [quote=Talonok Encycopledia Entry] [indent][i]In a stark contrast to their airborne brethren, Corven keep primarily to the ground, scouring the riverbanks and saltwater bays for tubers, roots, nuts, seeds, and small animals. These foods are then returned to Talonok encampments to be shared. Corven also routinely collect all manners of herbs and minerals for usage in ritual and ceremony. Corven lead the clan in chants, songs, and scripture. [/i][/indent] [/quote] Encountering an aggressive Tengu is not unusual at all. They are, as the entry states, "hollow, aggressive, and primal." They're dangerous. However, encountering a non-corrupted Corven is extremely weird. In their symbiotic society, the Corven are supposed to be domestic. They stay home and provide for the clan while the Raptorik fight with the Beastclans alliance. So why do we encounter them in the coliseum anyway? Well, I have a theory, but it's not really a theory because it's stated right in the familiars' info box. [center][size=4][b]Ghostlight Ruins[/b][/size][/center] ----- [columns][item=greybeak reaper][nextcol]"These fearful Corven are said to be the shepherds of the lost spirits of recently deceased Talonok."[/columns] [columns][item=tengu caller][nextcol]"Sent by their clans to seek and bring home their fallen flock lost to madness and confusion, these dusk-traveling bounty hunters seem to be losing their own battle with darkness."[/columns] [center][size=4][b]Bamboo Falls[/b][/size][/center] ----- [columns][item=wandering surgepriest][nextcol]"Many have wondered when this Tengu will finally wander home."[/columns] [columns][item=tengu][nextcol]"Tengu will attempt to confuse and lead the unwary dragon astray."[/columns] ----- The surgepriest is already being called a Tengu, and it hasn't even gone dark yet. Tragic. Basically, it seems reapers are an important part of the Corven's spirituality and are meant to help the dead pass on. It makes sense that they're at the Ghostlight Ruins. It also makes sense why the Raptorik clan sent them as Callers to try and bring the Tengu back into the light -- and, failing that, to reap the Tengu's souls so they can't cause any more harm. If they don't become Tengu themselves. However, I imagine the Greybeak Reapers don't give up easily. Otherwise, why would they stay long enough to give in the darkness and become Tengu Callers? This is probably why they end up in fights with dragons; they aren't going to let some scumbag dragon kill one of their own, Tengu or not. On that note, I believe Wandering Surgepriests have a similar purpose. They probably also suffer a similar fate. They follow their elusive Tengu brethren, trying desperately to call them back or exorcise the darkness within them. They are just as hopeful as the Greybeak Reapers, and they are just as stubborn; they'll protect a Tengu from a dragon just the same. However, as long as a soul follows them, the Tengu will lead them further and further into the darkness from which they may never return. No matter what they do, no matter how much they believe, a Corven that tries to save a lost soul is doomed to the darkness themselves.
00 Tengu Caller Tengu Tengu vs. Corven Wandering Surgepriest Greybeak Reaper
Talonok Encycopledia Entry wrote:
During the earliest days of Corven enlightenment, those who delved too far into dark, paranormal activities were eventually driven insane and soon found completely missing in large swaths. Corven lost to these harrowing events (referred to thereafter as "tengu") are said to be seen on dark nights, lurking between dead trees. They are hollow, aggressive, and primal.

A Corven who has given into this darkness is called a Tengu. We didn't know this back in the olden days of FR when the Harpy's Roost was the highest coli venue; we only knew them as the Tengu and the Wandering Surgepriest.

Talonok Encycopledia Entry wrote:
In a stark contrast to their airborne brethren, Corven keep primarily to the ground, scouring the riverbanks and saltwater bays for tubers, roots, nuts, seeds, and small animals. These foods are then returned to Talonok encampments to be shared. Corven also routinely collect all manners of herbs and minerals for usage in ritual and ceremony. Corven lead the clan in chants, songs, and scripture.

Encountering an aggressive Tengu is not unusual at all. They are, as the entry states, "hollow, aggressive, and primal." They're dangerous. However, encountering a non-corrupted Corven is extremely weird. In their symbiotic society, the Corven are supposed to be domestic. They stay home and provide for the clan while the Raptorik fight with the Beastclans alliance.

So why do we encounter them in the coliseum anyway? Well, I have a theory, but it's not really a theory because it's stated right in the familiars' info box.

Ghostlight Ruins

Greybeak Reaper "These fearful Corven are said to be the shepherds of the lost spirits of recently deceased Talonok."
Tengu Caller "Sent by their clans to seek and bring home their fallen flock lost to madness and confusion, these dusk-traveling bounty hunters seem to be losing their own battle with darkness."
Bamboo Falls

Wandering Surgepriest "Many have wondered when this Tengu will finally wander home."
Tengu "Tengu will attempt to confuse and lead the unwary dragon astray."

The surgepriest is already being called a Tengu, and it hasn't even gone dark yet. Tragic.

Basically, it seems reapers are an important part of the Corven's spirituality and are meant to help the dead pass on. It makes sense that they're at the Ghostlight Ruins. It also makes sense why the Raptorik clan sent them as Callers to try and bring the Tengu back into the light -- and, failing that, to reap the Tengu's souls so they can't cause any more harm. If they don't become Tengu themselves.

However, I imagine the Greybeak Reapers don't give up easily. Otherwise, why would they stay long enough to give in the darkness and become Tengu Callers? This is probably why they end up in fights with dragons; they aren't going to let some scumbag dragon kill one of their own, Tengu or not.

On that note, I believe Wandering Surgepriests have a similar purpose. They probably also suffer a similar fate. They follow their elusive Tengu brethren, trying desperately to call them back or exorcise the darkness within them. They are just as hopeful as the Greybeak Reapers, and they are just as stubborn; they'll protect a Tengu from a dragon just the same.

However, as long as a soul follows them, the Tengu will lead them further and further into the darkness from which they may never return.

No matter what they do, no matter how much they believe, a Corven that tries to save a lost soul is doomed to the darkness themselves.
qZ7AMuJ.png

Custom Moodboards
Great quality and image sources!

qZ7AMuJ.png
@Wakor

oh.

thats a bit depressing

i love it
@Wakor

oh.

thats a bit depressing

i love it
tumblr_inline_qf7d4iYTRP1s3p7hf_500.png
@arashiyama

All good lore needs some extremely horrible sad content :)
@arashiyama

All good lore needs some extremely horrible sad content :)
qZ7AMuJ.png

Custom Moodboards

qZ7AMuJ.png
@Wakor

Wow. Nicely thought out.
@Wakor

Wow. Nicely thought out.
PQznZys.png
@Wakor that was the best. Tragic characters of any kind are usually my favorites <3 I now need to have a familiar of each and I can never kill them without going "Awww, poor Reaper".

Also I never noticed the correlation between all these familiars! Man I should pay better attention.
@Wakor that was the best. Tragic characters of any kind are usually my favorites <3 I now need to have a familiar of each and I can never kill them without going "Awww, poor Reaper".

Also I never noticed the correlation between all these familiars! Man I should pay better attention.
D: this is so sad
but so cool
D: this is so sad
but so cool
@KaiaKeezhee
FR has a lot of interesting lore hidden in its items! Still, though, I would love an adventure mode~
@KaiaKeezhee
FR has a lot of interesting lore hidden in its items! Still, though, I would love an adventure mode~
qZ7AMuJ.png

Custom Moodboards

qZ7AMuJ.png
I love this omg
I love this omg
Revamp 3.0!
p0c3JDft.png
Other Things by Me
Clan Lore Masterpost || Kintsukuroi ice sub
Lore Hub: Dragon Variants by Flight - OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS
@Wakor adventure mode would be fantastic >> I shall dream of this and study up on my FR lore! Aka I know all of nothing about FR lore
@Wakor adventure mode would be fantastic >> I shall dream of this and study up on my FR lore! Aka I know all of nothing about FR lore
Wait, so is the Tengu Caller...

A Tengu who is a Caller
or
A Caller of Tengu

?
Wait, so is the Tengu Caller...

A Tengu who is a Caller
or
A Caller of Tengu

?
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
1 2 3