Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Spaceflight Rising
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 55 56
This is the greatest thing my eyes have ever seen.
please add me to the everything ping list.
This is the greatest thing my eyes have ever seen.
please add me to the everything ping list.
15128.png
Pinglists have been updated! I'll reply to individuals tomorrow; I'm tired and about to head to bed here in a few.
Pinglists have been updated! I'll reply to individuals tomorrow; I'm tired and about to head to bed here in a few.
Garden-of-Shadows-Signature.png X9XFFVl.png
@Llealynarisia Oooh, I'd love to be pinged for any updated lore/addition as well as writing and art! This is an amazing idea. o3o
@Llealynarisia Oooh, I'd love to be pinged for any updated lore/addition as well as writing and art! This is an amazing idea. o3o
tumblr_nr2jpwVyRy1sctktto6_100.png A8jZ8hC.png
Willow | FR + 12 hours
Come away little light, come away to the darkness
In the shade of the night we’ll come looking for you

YjkVeqG.png tumblr_nqzqz02ZlZ1tu43nto5_100.png
Oh my god this AU is amazing! Please and me to all pinglists, I just have to keep both my eyes on this!
Oh my god this AU is amazing! Please and me to all pinglists, I just have to keep both my eyes on this!
MMIcon.pngcTJbhic.png
[quote name="Extus" date=2015-10-20 15:13:04] I can actually see the Plague fleet acting rather similar to the Borg. [/quote] YES.
Extus wrote on 2015-10-20:
I can actually see the Plague fleet acting rather similar to the Borg.

YES.
xy | they/xem | +3 fr time | gen1s for sale
@Llealynarisia
OH MY DEITIES I beg of you if you ever have any updates or new stuff on this AU even if it's super small please please please ping me thank you aaaaa

*screeches into oblivion about deity AUs cuz WE NEED MORE*
@Llealynarisia
OH MY DEITIES I beg of you if you ever have any updates or new stuff on this AU even if it's super small please please please ping me thank you aaaaa

*screeches into oblivion about deity AUs cuz WE NEED MORE*
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@Llealynarisia

This is awesome

Add me to the pinglists, please?

edit.

I headcanon that pink chalcedony is used to store magic/energy so same would work here. Maybe powered partially with it, or just using it as main part of pretty much everything. Arcane dragons are adapted to the radiation, but others would have problems...

Also, telepathic controls most probably. Possibility to connect straight to the system and work with the exalt-AI, etc. I could also see Arcanites choose to be exalted just for fun/to be able to study more efficiently.

Ships are orbited by spacerocks are other similar stuff. Lots of moving, non-connected parts, because gravity controlling. Ships are bigger on the inside, definitely. Interior would have lots of crystal/gem-parts, design would be generally mind-twisting with logic that doesn't make sense to others. Partially non-grav, or at least lower grav than Sornieth.

Very high-level and extensive gravity-controlling in any case, going with the canon. Gravity-bubbles in space? Set that around an enemy ship, manipulate, boom.

Other arsenal would be probably portable black holes and wormholes, (wormhole technology and jumping around in general), basic magic-missile kind, barriers/shields, etc, depending a lot on what the clan is focused in.
@Llealynarisia

This is awesome

Add me to the pinglists, please?

edit.

I headcanon that pink chalcedony is used to store magic/energy so same would work here. Maybe powered partially with it, or just using it as main part of pretty much everything. Arcane dragons are adapted to the radiation, but others would have problems...

Also, telepathic controls most probably. Possibility to connect straight to the system and work with the exalt-AI, etc. I could also see Arcanites choose to be exalted just for fun/to be able to study more efficiently.

Ships are orbited by spacerocks are other similar stuff. Lots of moving, non-connected parts, because gravity controlling. Ships are bigger on the inside, definitely. Interior would have lots of crystal/gem-parts, design would be generally mind-twisting with logic that doesn't make sense to others. Partially non-grav, or at least lower grav than Sornieth.

Very high-level and extensive gravity-controlling in any case, going with the canon. Gravity-bubbles in space? Set that around an enemy ship, manipulate, boom.

Other arsenal would be probably portable black holes and wormholes, (wormhole technology and jumping around in general), basic magic-missile kind, barriers/shields, etc, depending a lot on what the clan is focused in.
hWsjkHE.png
Heyo, Light Flight dragon with mostly Light Flight input. You have quite the AU going on here~

One, for offensive measure, Light ships have laser cannons. Usually, they consist of multiple small ones covering the entirety of the ship that can shoot anywhere from around the ship (the laser sees all). Occasionaly, however, one maybe be equipped with one main cannon (probably a dreadnought or something else primarily based for direct warfare.)

They're also very good at utilizing solar energy. Enormous solar blades are built into the sides of ships to collect energy as they travel, and they extend out like wings when approaching suns (or, also for dreadnoughts, tear into enemy hulls they fly by.) While they don't harvest plasma like Lightning ships do, they still make very good use of the sun. They also are efficiently lit, unlike in Sci-Fi movies.

They are capable of Faster than Light travel. Except they are Light, so it's just called Light Travel. Yes, it's misleading.

Small ships, usually scouters, are equipped with a cloaking system that bends light to make it invisible... which isn't very helpful in space, where there's not much to see outside, not much reason to see outside, and windows are a structural weakness. It makes these ships good for discreetly landing on foreign planets, though. The life on there never saw it coming.

Light dreadnoughts are pretty scary. Think Imperials: big, majestic, destructive, really tough to take down, and really bad to be around when if falls apart near other dreadnoughts (which isn't all that common, since there are very few.) Light is a pretty peaceful, diplomatic fleet, but these babies are busted out when talking ain't gonna cut it. Still, they collect data like other light ships, but they usually serve as main datahubs for other light ships.

When dreadnoughts are destroyed, the first thing that made sure to be made absolute is the storage system, so the data isn't left for enemy hands. The rest of the resources are free game, a scavenger's dream. If multiple are destroyed by each other, though, the reactors in the ships are built to connect to each other, sending a current through space to other systems (basically just the navigation, weapons, and engine systems) that surges all forward in the general direction of the enemy, the ships pulled together (perhaps a mini blackhole-ish sort of suction) into a huge mass of broken shell and laser cannons set to auto target... which lack discrimination due to all the data sources being destroyed. So fleets usually have to work together to take it down again since nobody wants that. Whoever designed these things are crazy (I love you, Glitterma.)

The main and mother ship, the Beacon of the Radiant Eye, is a dreadnought. It is equipped with both the scattered beams and main cannon as well as multiple layers of solar blades. All data is sent to that ship to be stored. Unlike most ships, the Beacon tends to be open for vistors and is a very good place to hold meetings. They like sharing information, so it's like a huge moving library. Just don't try stealing from it. That is a no-no.

If we're taking culture into consideration, the stereotypical Light fleet are tiny, pretty merchant fleets, which isn't too far off. We love the shinies, and we're still grabbing for them in space.

AS FOR OTHER FLIGHTS THAT AREN'T LIGHT:

Plague are pretty big on colonization. As they're really big on the survival aspect, they have the tendency to search for habitable planets and dropping a ship on there to check it out. If they aren't dead within a month, drop some more on there. If they are, drop some more on there. They'll get it around to fitting the environment to fit them.

Nature is also pretty big on colonization, but they are looking more specifically at vegetative planets instead of the wide category Plague has. Usually they're more successful, adapting their plantlike bodies to the native wildlife. However, they have to be careful, or they lose themselves in the new world and forget about Sornieth and their Glademama.

Ice ships are equipped with stealth systems too, but they're thermal based instead. Which is far more useful, to be honest. Windows are structural weaknesses, so thermal cameras are a better thing to be equipped with.
Heyo, Light Flight dragon with mostly Light Flight input. You have quite the AU going on here~

One, for offensive measure, Light ships have laser cannons. Usually, they consist of multiple small ones covering the entirety of the ship that can shoot anywhere from around the ship (the laser sees all). Occasionaly, however, one maybe be equipped with one main cannon (probably a dreadnought or something else primarily based for direct warfare.)

They're also very good at utilizing solar energy. Enormous solar blades are built into the sides of ships to collect energy as they travel, and they extend out like wings when approaching suns (or, also for dreadnoughts, tear into enemy hulls they fly by.) While they don't harvest plasma like Lightning ships do, they still make very good use of the sun. They also are efficiently lit, unlike in Sci-Fi movies.

They are capable of Faster than Light travel. Except they are Light, so it's just called Light Travel. Yes, it's misleading.

Small ships, usually scouters, are equipped with a cloaking system that bends light to make it invisible... which isn't very helpful in space, where there's not much to see outside, not much reason to see outside, and windows are a structural weakness. It makes these ships good for discreetly landing on foreign planets, though. The life on there never saw it coming.

Light dreadnoughts are pretty scary. Think Imperials: big, majestic, destructive, really tough to take down, and really bad to be around when if falls apart near other dreadnoughts (which isn't all that common, since there are very few.) Light is a pretty peaceful, diplomatic fleet, but these babies are busted out when talking ain't gonna cut it. Still, they collect data like other light ships, but they usually serve as main datahubs for other light ships.

When dreadnoughts are destroyed, the first thing that made sure to be made absolute is the storage system, so the data isn't left for enemy hands. The rest of the resources are free game, a scavenger's dream. If multiple are destroyed by each other, though, the reactors in the ships are built to connect to each other, sending a current through space to other systems (basically just the navigation, weapons, and engine systems) that surges all forward in the general direction of the enemy, the ships pulled together (perhaps a mini blackhole-ish sort of suction) into a huge mass of broken shell and laser cannons set to auto target... which lack discrimination due to all the data sources being destroyed. So fleets usually have to work together to take it down again since nobody wants that. Whoever designed these things are crazy (I love you, Glitterma.)

The main and mother ship, the Beacon of the Radiant Eye, is a dreadnought. It is equipped with both the scattered beams and main cannon as well as multiple layers of solar blades. All data is sent to that ship to be stored. Unlike most ships, the Beacon tends to be open for vistors and is a very good place to hold meetings. They like sharing information, so it's like a huge moving library. Just don't try stealing from it. That is a no-no.

If we're taking culture into consideration, the stereotypical Light fleet are tiny, pretty merchant fleets, which isn't too far off. We love the shinies, and we're still grabbing for them in space.

AS FOR OTHER FLIGHTS THAT AREN'T LIGHT:

Plague are pretty big on colonization. As they're really big on the survival aspect, they have the tendency to search for habitable planets and dropping a ship on there to check it out. If they aren't dead within a month, drop some more on there. If they are, drop some more on there. They'll get it around to fitting the environment to fit them.

Nature is also pretty big on colonization, but they are looking more specifically at vegetative planets instead of the wide category Plague has. Usually they're more successful, adapting their plantlike bodies to the native wildlife. However, they have to be careful, or they lose themselves in the new world and forget about Sornieth and their Glademama.

Ice ships are equipped with stealth systems too, but they're thermal based instead. Which is far more useful, to be honest. Windows are structural weaknesses, so thermal cameras are a better thing to be equipped with.
xR7ErnV.pngW6y8rmh.pngNr0CWta.png
@Llealynarisia please add me to all the pinglists!!

I have a lot of ideas about the Fire fleet. Hope this doesn't conflict with anything already posted? Anyway.

Fire ships are massive, built in deep-space Forge stations so large that an entire hull can be cast and annealed within them. By tradition, the ships are christened not with champagne, but with a crucible of lava poured directly over the prow. The pattern into which it solidifies will mark the ship forevermore, like a fingerprint.

When in stealth mode, they appear as dark as any quiescent mountain. But inside the thick skin of the ship lies a raging furnace driven by a fusion reactor at its core. When captain wishes to reveal the ship, its outer hull layer splits with glowing cracks, til it flickers like coals in the dark. The pattern of cracks can be used display its class & registry, or even coded messages.

Fire ships carry an array of weaponry. Infrared lasers are most commonly used in long-range combat, but plasma is also a favorite. Yet the most legendary ability of a (large, say, Caldera or Inferno class) fire ship is the so-called "kiln maw." When an enemy is vanquished, Fire commanders seldom bother with dragging the ship home to be deconstructed or bartered back to its home fleet. Instead, a hatch is opened in the belly of the Fire ship, and the defeated ship is drawn inside. Any crew who have not already surrendered or revealed themselves will be literally smoked out. Then the ship itself will be taken apart by the very best Fire forge-engineers, and any parts that aren't of specific interest will be burned for fuel or melted down. It is said that some of the old battle-scarred vessels of the Fire fleet have collected enough raw material this way to built two or three clones of themselves-- no insignificant statement, given their bulk.

(The legend that "Fire doesn't take prisoners" is false, as their commanders have no interest in needless death-- but it would not be wrong to say that this fleet of builders has a streak of vindictive, jealous pride when it comes to the ships themselves.)

There are also an array of non-combat ships. The most impressive among these are not so much ships as space stations: huge deep-space habitats, often in the shape of a bicone or a square bipyramid. They can be as large as cities, with multiple heart-like engines that pump heat and air toward their extremities. Most orbit hot stars, or even lie at a safe orbital distance from tempestuous accretion disks, soaking up their radiation as fuel. Some have no parent star, and mine raw materials for their nuclear reactors from nearby rocky bodies. Most are highly industry-focused, with forges and workshops nestled inside them near the central reactors. They may also serve as ports for traveling starships.

Fleet classifications:
Flare class - diplomatic vessels; quick, bright, and welcoming
Cinder class - mining and material transport vessels
Bellows class - repair vessels, for servicing other ships mid-voyage
Forge class (station) - where the rest of the ships are built
Hearth class - small outpost space stations, mostly for temporary housing
Ember class - personnel transports, shuttlecraft
Magma class (station) - effectively small cities
Tephra class - small, fast, and agile, primarily used as scout ships or for precision combat
Candle class - medical vessels, no weaponry
Vulcanian class - science vessels, equipped with the very best sensors
Inferno class - giant engines of war and transport; huge but unwieldy
Caldera class - the fleet flagships, balanced vessels used for combat in wartime and for exploration in peacetime.
@Llealynarisia please add me to all the pinglists!!

I have a lot of ideas about the Fire fleet. Hope this doesn't conflict with anything already posted? Anyway.

Fire ships are massive, built in deep-space Forge stations so large that an entire hull can be cast and annealed within them. By tradition, the ships are christened not with champagne, but with a crucible of lava poured directly over the prow. The pattern into which it solidifies will mark the ship forevermore, like a fingerprint.

When in stealth mode, they appear as dark as any quiescent mountain. But inside the thick skin of the ship lies a raging furnace driven by a fusion reactor at its core. When captain wishes to reveal the ship, its outer hull layer splits with glowing cracks, til it flickers like coals in the dark. The pattern of cracks can be used display its class & registry, or even coded messages.

Fire ships carry an array of weaponry. Infrared lasers are most commonly used in long-range combat, but plasma is also a favorite. Yet the most legendary ability of a (large, say, Caldera or Inferno class) fire ship is the so-called "kiln maw." When an enemy is vanquished, Fire commanders seldom bother with dragging the ship home to be deconstructed or bartered back to its home fleet. Instead, a hatch is opened in the belly of the Fire ship, and the defeated ship is drawn inside. Any crew who have not already surrendered or revealed themselves will be literally smoked out. Then the ship itself will be taken apart by the very best Fire forge-engineers, and any parts that aren't of specific interest will be burned for fuel or melted down. It is said that some of the old battle-scarred vessels of the Fire fleet have collected enough raw material this way to built two or three clones of themselves-- no insignificant statement, given their bulk.

(The legend that "Fire doesn't take prisoners" is false, as their commanders have no interest in needless death-- but it would not be wrong to say that this fleet of builders has a streak of vindictive, jealous pride when it comes to the ships themselves.)

There are also an array of non-combat ships. The most impressive among these are not so much ships as space stations: huge deep-space habitats, often in the shape of a bicone or a square bipyramid. They can be as large as cities, with multiple heart-like engines that pump heat and air toward their extremities. Most orbit hot stars, or even lie at a safe orbital distance from tempestuous accretion disks, soaking up their radiation as fuel. Some have no parent star, and mine raw materials for their nuclear reactors from nearby rocky bodies. Most are highly industry-focused, with forges and workshops nestled inside them near the central reactors. They may also serve as ports for traveling starships.

Fleet classifications:
Flare class - diplomatic vessels; quick, bright, and welcoming
Cinder class - mining and material transport vessels
Bellows class - repair vessels, for servicing other ships mid-voyage
Forge class (station) - where the rest of the ships are built
Hearth class - small outpost space stations, mostly for temporary housing
Ember class - personnel transports, shuttlecraft
Magma class (station) - effectively small cities
Tephra class - small, fast, and agile, primarily used as scout ships or for precision combat
Candle class - medical vessels, no weaponry
Vulcanian class - science vessels, equipped with the very best sensors
Inferno class - giant engines of war and transport; huge but unwieldy
Caldera class - the fleet flagships, balanced vessels used for combat in wartime and for exploration in peacetime.
_back_day.png
This is amazing. @ArmoredAvenger I don't wanna lose this
This is amazing. @ArmoredAvenger I don't wanna lose this
65d976aaca38aa0652d6a6bdf8831a59ecf03774.gif
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 55 56