Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Size differences?
1 2
So I started out deciding just to get Faes and Spirals, then decided I liked Skydancers too and added them too. Now I only have two Skydancers, go figure, but am slowly getting overrun by Nocturnes and Wildclaws. And recently I gave in to the floof and got my first Tundra.

These breeds are all rather small.

Now I have a day-old Imperial hatchling, and she's already nearly four metres long, and my hatchling caretaker is a 68cm Fae, and I really love the Guardian lore and would like a few of them, and basically, where are these new and very LARGE babies going to even STAY?

So, how do you handle the massive size differences between some of these breeds, in terms of handling lair size? Especially when your hatchling caretaker is only a smidge over two feet long, and suddenly you've tossed a baby Imperial into the mix?
So I started out deciding just to get Faes and Spirals, then decided I liked Skydancers too and added them too. Now I only have two Skydancers, go figure, but am slowly getting overrun by Nocturnes and Wildclaws. And recently I gave in to the floof and got my first Tundra.

These breeds are all rather small.

Now I have a day-old Imperial hatchling, and she's already nearly four metres long, and my hatchling caretaker is a 68cm Fae, and I really love the Guardian lore and would like a few of them, and basically, where are these new and very LARGE babies going to even STAY?

So, how do you handle the massive size differences between some of these breeds, in terms of handling lair size? Especially when your hatchling caretaker is only a smidge over two feet long, and suddenly you've tossed a baby Imperial into the mix?
DiZLrc5.png MUYNhfy.png
7A7cEAI.png
nmHdjnM.png
DxCICZ1.png
YMPbu9R.png
It is kinda odd that a 30m long imperial would not only take as much lairspace as a baby fae but also eat as much as it. Site wise it would be unfair that a fae hoarder would need less food and lairspace than a imp hoarder but lore wise...
It is kinda odd that a 30m long imperial would not only take as much lairspace as a baby fae but also eat as much as it. Site wise it would be unfair that a fae hoarder would need less food and lairspace than a imp hoarder but lore wise...
tumblr_olkx7k1gjk1w18p86o1_r1_250.png+10 hours FR time
*imagining a 30m imperial surviving on one butterfly per day* Let's pretend it's just gods using their magic to stop imps from eating every single living thing on the whole continent in less than a week. :3

I've never thought about the size difference much, as my progens were Guardian and Fae and they had no problems with their nests... Dragons are wonderful creatures, indeed. As for the lair space... maybe faes are very territorial and require a lot of place, otherwise they hiss and bite the intruders on the nose? D:
*imagining a 30m imperial surviving on one butterfly per day* Let's pretend it's just gods using their magic to stop imps from eating every single living thing on the whole continent in less than a week. :3

I've never thought about the size difference much, as my progens were Guardian and Fae and they had no problems with their nests... Dragons are wonderful creatures, indeed. As for the lair space... maybe faes are very territorial and require a lot of place, otherwise they hiss and bite the intruders on the nose? D:
@Wyrmie
They're dragons, Imps maybe be magical enough to survive on less then most would expect, if not partly on magic itself. I have a dragon book where the desert dragon survives off /dew/. They might also be like snakes where they eat in one go and then don't for days. Same with all the dragons.

@ryttu3k
Depends on the dragons honestly. My lair is split into an old human complex and the actual lair, the larger drgaons have overrun the main lair since they can't fit in teh complex while the complex has basically become the main lair and its only because the humans built it fairly grand that the medium dragons can even fit. I'm also not sure how 12+ feet can be counted as small although compared to the big ones... Honestly, there are points I ignore it or just shrug and say 'magic'. Also considering you can totally cross-breed any dragon, unless you hold to the 'must be near same size to breed' headcanon...can you Fae sized Imps? or Rideback sized Spirals?
@Wyrmie
They're dragons, Imps maybe be magical enough to survive on less then most would expect, if not partly on magic itself. I have a dragon book where the desert dragon survives off /dew/. They might also be like snakes where they eat in one go and then don't for days. Same with all the dragons.

@ryttu3k
Depends on the dragons honestly. My lair is split into an old human complex and the actual lair, the larger drgaons have overrun the main lair since they can't fit in teh complex while the complex has basically become the main lair and its only because the humans built it fairly grand that the medium dragons can even fit. I'm also not sure how 12+ feet can be counted as small although compared to the big ones... Honestly, there are points I ignore it or just shrug and say 'magic'. Also considering you can totally cross-breed any dragon, unless you hold to the 'must be near same size to breed' headcanon...can you Fae sized Imps? or Rideback sized Spirals?
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
Personally I kind of draw a hard line between gameplay and lore. Human life doesn't work the same in games and reality, so of course there will be differences between the daily life of our gameplay and the lore world.

So, while it looks on my screen as if an imp is taking up the same amount of space as a spiral, in my clan lore the imps and the guardian pretty much makes up the entire lair and all the others just cuddle up to them when it's time to sleep.

As for hatchling caretakers, I haven't actually thought of that but I suppose the logical thing would be to nominate someone from the upper mid-ranged size-wise. Like a coatl. Coatls are more than large enough to bully around imp and guardian hatchlings, and as long as it's imprinted in them that they have to obey the caretaker it should stick until they're adolescents even if they grow larger than the caretaker on the way.
Personally I kind of draw a hard line between gameplay and lore. Human life doesn't work the same in games and reality, so of course there will be differences between the daily life of our gameplay and the lore world.

So, while it looks on my screen as if an imp is taking up the same amount of space as a spiral, in my clan lore the imps and the guardian pretty much makes up the entire lair and all the others just cuddle up to them when it's time to sleep.

As for hatchling caretakers, I haven't actually thought of that but I suppose the logical thing would be to nominate someone from the upper mid-ranged size-wise. Like a coatl. Coatls are more than large enough to bully around imp and guardian hatchlings, and as long as it's imprinted in them that they have to obey the caretaker it should stick until they're adolescents even if they grow larger than the caretaker on the way.
@ryttu3k

My entire lair is thus conundrum! I mean, here's a size comparison of my largest Imperial to ALL OF THE FAE IN MY LAIR:

http://i.imgur.com/GBZ9mUb.jpg

I mean, look at that. It's insane!

The Faeclaw Clan, because of this, is effectively split into two. There's the Fae homes, the Imperial homes, and then the few other species in the Clan tend to pick one or the other. It works well for the lore of my clan - the tiny Fae are well protected by their enormous Imperial guardians, and in turn the Fae can scratch the most annoying of itches the Imperials can't reach :X
@ryttu3k

My entire lair is thus conundrum! I mean, here's a size comparison of my largest Imperial to ALL OF THE FAE IN MY LAIR:

http://i.imgur.com/GBZ9mUb.jpg

I mean, look at that. It's insane!

The Faeclaw Clan, because of this, is effectively split into two. There's the Fae homes, the Imperial homes, and then the few other species in the Clan tend to pick one or the other. It works well for the lore of my clan - the tiny Fae are well protected by their enormous Imperial guardians, and in turn the Fae can scratch the most annoying of itches the Imperials can't reach :X
2015_10_13_raj4.png Help Me Find Faether!
GMT (+8 FR)
@IronPen

I HAVE THAT DRAGON BOOK.

*Coughs* we'resuchnerds *Coughs*

ANYways, most dragons in the Army of Mirrors are Mirrors, and so can share barracks. The Coatls are either Casters or Healers, and as such have their own dens. However, there are some dragons who just... tag along with the Army. They tend to either sleep in the barracks (if they fit), or find their own space.
@IronPen

I HAVE THAT DRAGON BOOK.

*Coughs* we'resuchnerds *Coughs*

ANYways, most dragons in the Army of Mirrors are Mirrors, and so can share barracks. The Coatls are either Casters or Healers, and as such have their own dens. However, there are some dragons who just... tag along with the Army. They tend to either sleep in the barracks (if they fit), or find their own space.
x0CMhAc.png pYAz4OB.png keychainsmallpurple_by_general_ebonrose-d9vbgfs.png zyvrj7C.png
@Silverskeejee

Army of fae--I love it! It's like a battlestar and its vipers (or a star destroyer and its TIE fighters).
@Silverskeejee

Army of fae--I love it! It's like a battlestar and its vipers (or a star destroyer and its TIE fighters).
MmSftql.png
@velvetpaws

Lol. I've not looked at it like that before! Now I just have this vision of an Imperial swooping down from on high with 50+ Fae's detaching from the neck to shoot magical lazers...
@velvetpaws

Lol. I've not looked at it like that before! Now I just have this vision of an Imperial swooping down from on high with 50+ Fae's detaching from the neck to shoot magical lazers...
2015_10_13_raj4.png Help Me Find Faether!
GMT (+8 FR)
@Silverskeejee

(MAGICAL LAZERS YES)

It works, though, because fae aren't great long-distance fliers, so you just pack 'em all onto an imperial and send them out into battle. Pew pew pew!

...now I have the Imperial March stuck in my head.
@Silverskeejee

(MAGICAL LAZERS YES)

It works, though, because fae aren't great long-distance fliers, so you just pack 'em all onto an imperial and send them out into battle. Pew pew pew!

...now I have the Imperial March stuck in my head.
MmSftql.png
1 2