Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Lore] Want a place to find it?
1 2 3 4 5
I have a weird question, that can entirely be shot down by a mod or something, but..

Would anyone be interested in a thread dedicated to combining canon (onsite), canon (offsite, but from official sources), non-canon (but generally accepted), and theoretical (what people think would be cool) Lore in one findable and searchable place?

Yes, I am in the Arcane flight, and somewhat of a derp about collecting information. As in I like to do it. I'm not necessarily committing to anything now, but this is something that I would personally like, and thus, was thinking about making a thread for this purpose.

Thus far, to me, it seems lore is scattered all over the place. I've heard people mention in the Arcane forums some confirmed, canon lore from the official tumblr that I thought was pretty awesome. I've also seen little lore snippets on items. There is, of course, the easily findable lore in the Encyclopedia, but that is certainly not everything, considering the other two sources. And that doesn't give me any idea of what norms people are playing with in the RP forums, or in their heads about various things either.

So I thought it'd be neat to do some FR research when I feel like it, and gather all the info I can find (while leaving it open to anyone else to add to) in one place. Everything will be sourced, there will be links and an index, and I'll do my best to keep it organized. People will be able to post in the thread itself, or a related one, with additions they've found that were missed, and I'll update the thing. It'd be like a little free-source lore library for anyone in the FR community who is a nerd and wants to read a bunch of dragon tidbits.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Would anyone look at it? Do the mods have an opinion on leaving lore to be found in snippets, or would you guys mind if someone put what's already out there scattered around in one spot?

I'm not a mod, I'm pretty new actually, but I just really want to know more about the lore invested in the site, and can't seem to do very well on finding more of it. I know it's out there, though. >8|

So, I figure, if you want something done, do it yourself.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's going to happen. When it'll be 'finished', however, is a different story.

Edit 2: THIS IS A SUPER OLD THREAD. Life attacked me along the way, and while I had pulled some things, gotten a word document going, screenshots, and all that mess, it's really nowhere close to being complete. THAT SAID. If anyone else would like to pick this kind of thing up, feel free! The ping list below are people who'd like to be notified if it goes down. :> Thanks and sorry this hasn't gotten further. It has a chance of resurfacing (from me, anyway) sometime this coming summer, when I won't be so swamped with crazy.

Ping List (for my own reference) once it gets going:
@Dragonpuff
@Artorias
@calvinrules6
@Praeses
@Allison
@Persephone
@Aisa
@Pearlcatcher
@TricksterCheshi
@winchesterous
@sbeu
@Dracatus
@Jallycyn
I have a weird question, that can entirely be shot down by a mod or something, but..

Would anyone be interested in a thread dedicated to combining canon (onsite), canon (offsite, but from official sources), non-canon (but generally accepted), and theoretical (what people think would be cool) Lore in one findable and searchable place?

Yes, I am in the Arcane flight, and somewhat of a derp about collecting information. As in I like to do it. I'm not necessarily committing to anything now, but this is something that I would personally like, and thus, was thinking about making a thread for this purpose.

Thus far, to me, it seems lore is scattered all over the place. I've heard people mention in the Arcane forums some confirmed, canon lore from the official tumblr that I thought was pretty awesome. I've also seen little lore snippets on items. There is, of course, the easily findable lore in the Encyclopedia, but that is certainly not everything, considering the other two sources. And that doesn't give me any idea of what norms people are playing with in the RP forums, or in their heads about various things either.

So I thought it'd be neat to do some FR research when I feel like it, and gather all the info I can find (while leaving it open to anyone else to add to) in one place. Everything will be sourced, there will be links and an index, and I'll do my best to keep it organized. People will be able to post in the thread itself, or a related one, with additions they've found that were missed, and I'll update the thing. It'd be like a little free-source lore library for anyone in the FR community who is a nerd and wants to read a bunch of dragon tidbits.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Would anyone look at it? Do the mods have an opinion on leaving lore to be found in snippets, or would you guys mind if someone put what's already out there scattered around in one spot?

I'm not a mod, I'm pretty new actually, but I just really want to know more about the lore invested in the site, and can't seem to do very well on finding more of it. I know it's out there, though. >8|

So, I figure, if you want something done, do it yourself.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's going to happen. When it'll be 'finished', however, is a different story.

Edit 2: THIS IS A SUPER OLD THREAD. Life attacked me along the way, and while I had pulled some things, gotten a word document going, screenshots, and all that mess, it's really nowhere close to being complete. THAT SAID. If anyone else would like to pick this kind of thing up, feel free! The ping list below are people who'd like to be notified if it goes down. :> Thanks and sorry this hasn't gotten further. It has a chance of resurfacing (from me, anyway) sometime this coming summer, when I won't be so swamped with crazy.

Ping List (for my own reference) once it gets going:
@Dragonpuff
@Artorias
@calvinrules6
@Praeses
@Allison
@Persephone
@Aisa
@Pearlcatcher
@TricksterCheshi
@winchesterous
@sbeu
@Dracatus
@Jallycyn
I would really love to see something like this put together!
I would really love to see something like this put together!
@dasair i love this idea mods this should be looked into
@dasair i love this idea mods this should be looked into
boIu4p9.png
@SunGuard
@lunusdragoness

Yeee, thanks you guys. I'm glad it's more than just me wanting something like this.

I actually had already started a word document, breaking down all the stuff I wanted in there, to see how many posts the thread would take. I've got things like Flight Lore (for each flight), Species Lore (for each species), Clan Lore (any that are well-known, and general dynamics that happen in clans), and General Lore (stuff like general behavior not restricted to species, communication like those little messenger dragons, etc.), at least concerning the dragons themselves. ... Then I realized I should probably see if there was any actual interest or mod objection before I sunk too much time into nerding out. OTL
@SunGuard
@lunusdragoness

Yeee, thanks you guys. I'm glad it's more than just me wanting something like this.

I actually had already started a word document, breaking down all the stuff I wanted in there, to see how many posts the thread would take. I've got things like Flight Lore (for each flight), Species Lore (for each species), Clan Lore (any that are well-known, and general dynamics that happen in clans), and General Lore (stuff like general behavior not restricted to species, communication like those little messenger dragons, etc.), at least concerning the dragons themselves. ... Then I realized I should probably see if there was any actual interest or mod objection before I sunk too much time into nerding out. OTL
@dasair i have my clan set up so that it has many connections to each flight ice earth plague any flight
@dasair i have my clan set up so that it has many connections to each flight ice earth plague any flight
boIu4p9.png
@lunusdragoness

See, that's pretty neat! I was thinking of having a list of supposedly well-known Established Clans that people came up with (possibly even any canon clans, if there are any) that may have connections like that.

Thing is, in terms of 'player submitted clans', since it's going to be considered 'general lore', it'd likely have to be something that you wouldn't mind other FR people using. I wrote a few examples in the document, I'll just copy paste those.
  • An NPC Plague clan that has been well thought out, and someone wishes to submit as a general ‘antagonist’ force for any roleplayer or group to use. Thus, you may be able to meet other players’ dragons who have had run-ins with this same nasty clan, and can use it as a plot point.
  • Your own clan of dragons that is large and spread out enough, but has a solid function or purpose (such as protecting the weak whenever they are encountered, or a large-scale thieving clan) whom you don’t mind other dragons from other people’s clans being associated with or part of without your explicit permission.

Basically something like that. I think it would be cool if anyone had a general clan like that where people could say their dragons had run-ins with them in the past, and made that a part of their dragon's story. Then if they chance play with someone else, who's dragon ALSO ran into that same clan, or even is supposedly a part of that group, I feel like it'd be fun for RPers to mess around with if they wanted to. :>

If nothing else, it could be a potential base for people to pick up if they liked the ideas.

It'd also be neat to find out if there are any canon-established clans too.
@lunusdragoness

See, that's pretty neat! I was thinking of having a list of supposedly well-known Established Clans that people came up with (possibly even any canon clans, if there are any) that may have connections like that.

Thing is, in terms of 'player submitted clans', since it's going to be considered 'general lore', it'd likely have to be something that you wouldn't mind other FR people using. I wrote a few examples in the document, I'll just copy paste those.
  • An NPC Plague clan that has been well thought out, and someone wishes to submit as a general ‘antagonist’ force for any roleplayer or group to use. Thus, you may be able to meet other players’ dragons who have had run-ins with this same nasty clan, and can use it as a plot point.
  • Your own clan of dragons that is large and spread out enough, but has a solid function or purpose (such as protecting the weak whenever they are encountered, or a large-scale thieving clan) whom you don’t mind other dragons from other people’s clans being associated with or part of without your explicit permission.

Basically something like that. I think it would be cool if anyone had a general clan like that where people could say their dragons had run-ins with them in the past, and made that a part of their dragon's story. Then if they chance play with someone else, who's dragon ALSO ran into that same clan, or even is supposedly a part of that group, I feel like it'd be fun for RPers to mess around with if they wanted to. :>

If nothing else, it could be a potential base for people to pick up if they liked the ideas.

It'd also be neat to find out if there are any canon-established clans too.
@dasiar yeah my clan is more of a take in stray dragons/hatchlings then anything else actually thats how i got most of my dragons midnightdeath and ruukarian found my clan that way
@dasiar yeah my clan is more of a take in stray dragons/hatchlings then anything else actually thats how i got most of my dragons midnightdeath and ruukarian found my clan that way
boIu4p9.png
This would be amazing, I definitely think it's something worth suggesting c: It'd certainly be amazing to have a place where we could go and just surround ourselves with lore ^^
This would be amazing, I definitely think it's something worth suggesting c: It'd certainly be amazing to have a place where we could go and just surround ourselves with lore ^^
tumblr_ntz8d7CUWK1ueyht5o1_100.png
I'm too much of a mythology fan to resist the fr lore. The more the better - in fact I suggest we keep this in a completely ic thread and pretend its a museum, or a library or something alike. Fr needs more established places to make the world come alive, even if it's only headcanon.

I'd be fine with the NFP clan thing, too. I have enough headcanon for everyone, lol.
I'm too much of a mythology fan to resist the fr lore. The more the better - in fact I suggest we keep this in a completely ic thread and pretend its a museum, or a library or something alike. Fr needs more established places to make the world come alive, even if it's only headcanon.

I'd be fine with the NFP clan thing, too. I have enough headcanon for everyone, lol.
@Dasair
That would be SO AMAZING.
Really, know better about how world looks like around us? Who woudn't want it?
More lore? More awsome stories? Let's draw maps of world, peek under every stone, and see how complex might be this site with help of inquisitiveness and bit imagination.
@Dasair
That would be SO AMAZING.
Really, know better about how world looks like around us? Who woudn't want it?
More lore? More awsome stories? Let's draw maps of world, peek under every stone, and see how complex might be this site with help of inquisitiveness and bit imagination.
forsale.png20585191.png20585190.png
1 2 3 4 5