Back

Dragon Trading

Arrange Crossroads exchanges with other players.
TOPIC | Super Naming Contest: {Closed for now!}
1 2 3 4 5
I have dergs in my lair - all boys - who lack a name. This, my friends, is quite a shame. @MetalDawn71 had one of these a little while ago, which Inspired me to do the same. Now without further ado, below are the rules of this game:

1. Peruse the handsome lads in the next posts. Analyze their structure, infer their virtues and vices, ask the age-old question "What's in a name?" Keep in mind that not all contests end on the same date - and also that you can give more than one name if you like. I'll be looking in on this thread at different points, adding the names to the respective posts.

2. Pick a name for a derg. But just a name won't do - give its significance/meaning or tell me why you think the name suits the dragon. Ping me @PhantomNimbus only if you are submitting a name. Friendly bumps and chatting with other contestants are allowed, but I want to keep track of the number of names by the number of pings.

3. When a contest is over, I'll ping everyone to notify them that the contest is done. Then I will PM the winning contestant. Everyone can participate in as many of the contests as possible.

4. Bragging rights aside, every contest has to have a prize, right? The Boys you named will be bred with a lady-dragon of your choice from the 2-4 pages of my lair in a nest of your choice and you'll get your choice of hatchling as the prize! Pretty super, yeah? ;)

Really want to name a derg but dunno where to start?
I'm a sucker for mythology, gemstones, various sci-fi/fantasy names [more concepts than characters, though I do have my fandergs], actual science-y terms and other art and culture references.

Happy naming!
I have dergs in my lair - all boys - who lack a name. This, my friends, is quite a shame. @MetalDawn71 had one of these a little while ago, which Inspired me to do the same. Now without further ado, below are the rules of this game:

1. Peruse the handsome lads in the next posts. Analyze their structure, infer their virtues and vices, ask the age-old question "What's in a name?" Keep in mind that not all contests end on the same date - and also that you can give more than one name if you like. I'll be looking in on this thread at different points, adding the names to the respective posts.

2. Pick a name for a derg. But just a name won't do - give its significance/meaning or tell me why you think the name suits the dragon. Ping me @PhantomNimbus only if you are submitting a name. Friendly bumps and chatting with other contestants are allowed, but I want to keep track of the number of names by the number of pings.

3. When a contest is over, I'll ping everyone to notify them that the contest is done. Then I will PM the winning contestant. Everyone can participate in as many of the contests as possible.

4. Bragging rights aside, every contest has to have a prize, right? The Boys you named will be bred with a lady-dragon of your choice from the 2-4 pages of my lair in a nest of your choice and you'll get your choice of hatchling as the prize! Pretty super, yeah? ;)

Really want to name a derg but dunno where to start?
I'm a sucker for mythology, gemstones, various sci-fi/fantasy names [more concepts than characters, though I do have my fandergs], actual science-y terms and other art and culture references.

Happy naming!
HabkC9i.png
Boy #1: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22602367] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/226024/22602367_350.png[/img] [/url] Soil Vipera/Orange Shimmer/Gold Underbelly Lightning Flight, level 1 Son of the lovely Alizarin, and my prize from the contest I won. I'm not normally a fan of soil, but this guy can rock it! One of the sires I plan on using for a chance at creating Din, the final member of my LoZ Triple Goddess Coli team. He'll be trained to fight eventually as well, possibly alongside her. :3 Potential Names: Eclipse - RainWing Enki, Miltiades, Adamah, Nitesh - Aprelle Solis, Sunset, Inferno - GhostfromtheMoon Ulysses, Telemachus, Icarus - Junalukari Lighteth, Sheen - Lamenting Torpedo - MetalDawn71 NightSpirit - Opalus Zukotara - Eternal [u]Contest Ends[/u] [b]June 6th, 2016[/b]
Boy #1:

22602367_350.png

Soil Vipera/Orange Shimmer/Gold Underbelly
Lightning Flight, level 1

Son of the lovely Alizarin, and my prize from the contest I won. I'm not normally a fan of soil, but this guy can rock it! One of the sires I plan on using for a chance at creating Din, the final member of my LoZ Triple Goddess Coli team. He'll be trained to fight eventually as well, possibly alongside her. :3

Potential Names:
Eclipse - RainWing
Enki, Miltiades, Adamah, Nitesh - Aprelle
Solis, Sunset, Inferno - GhostfromtheMoon
Ulysses, Telemachus, Icarus - Junalukari
Lighteth, Sheen - Lamenting
Torpedo - MetalDawn71
NightSpirit - Opalus
Zukotara - Eternal

Contest Ends June 6th, 2016
HabkC9i.png
Boy#2 [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21722729] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/217228/21722729_350.png[/img] [/url] He looks really tough, but not necessarily mean - I kinda like that. He's from the lair of my awesome pal @junalukari, who always comes up with cool names for her dergs. Also one of the sires I plan on using for a chance at creating Din, the final member of my LoZ Triple Goddess Coli team. He'll be trained to fight eventually as well, possibly alongside her. :3 Potential Names: Dawnbringer - RainWing Enki, Miltiades, Adamah, Nitesh - Aprelle Weiyan - Cosi Aureis, Inferno, Ra -GhostfromtheMoon ASAPganon - Junalukari Pheonix - MetalDawn71 Hephaestus - NightSpirit Zuko - Ryuujin Kvothe, Kote - Zukotara [u]Contest Ends: [/u][b]June 7[/b]
Boy#2

21722729_350.png

He looks really tough, but not necessarily mean - I kinda like that. He's from the lair of my awesome pal @junalukari, who always comes up with cool names for her dergs. Also one of the sires I plan on using for a chance at creating Din, the final member of my LoZ Triple Goddess Coli team. He'll be trained to fight eventually as well, possibly alongside her. :3

Potential Names:
Dawnbringer - RainWing
Enki, Miltiades, Adamah, Nitesh - Aprelle
Weiyan - Cosi
Aureis, Inferno, Ra -GhostfromtheMoon
ASAPganon - Junalukari
Pheonix - MetalDawn71
Hephaestus - NightSpirit
Zuko - Ryuujin
Kvothe, Kote - Zukotara

Contest Ends: June 7
HabkC9i.png
@PhantomNimbus
Boy: 1
I think Eclipse would be a good name for him. He's the orange and gold tones of the sun with darker markings covering them, sort of like an eclipse. Plus blue eyes like the sky!
Boy: 2
He could be either Dawnbringer, because of that glorious red and the darkish wings kind of representing the night, or Thorn after Murtagh's dragon in The Inheritance Cycle.
Not sure if more than one name is allowed there, so if not Dawnbringer is my entry.
@PhantomNimbus
Boy: 1
I think Eclipse would be a good name for him. He's the orange and gold tones of the sun with darker markings covering them, sort of like an eclipse. Plus blue eyes like the sky!
Boy: 2
He could be either Dawnbringer, because of that glorious red and the darkish wings kind of representing the night, or Thorn after Murtagh's dragon in The Inheritance Cycle.
Not sure if more than one name is allowed there, so if not Dawnbringer is my entry.
@rainwing Ah, I already gave my green lad the name Thorn, since his mate was Ivy and I was looking for something plant-based. I took the meaning literal there! But yeah, you can submit more than one name. I'll add Dawnbringer to the list; I've already got Eclipse up there. Thanks! :3
@rainwing Ah, I already gave my green lad the name Thorn, since his mate was Ivy and I was looking for something plant-based. I took the meaning literal there! But yeah, you can submit more than one name. I'll add Dawnbringer to the list; I've already got Eclipse up there. Thanks! :3
HabkC9i.png
Boy #3: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21779652] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/217797/21779652_350.png[/img] [/url] This classy fellow is my Water Flight Rep! Shout out to @Saints for lending me Helena & making the project possible. This guy is so cool, not even Wayfarers are cool enough for him. ;3 His body & wings look a lot like how light can bend on the surface of water if you look at it long enough. There's gotta be a scientific term for that out there somewhere, right? Potential Names: Seacrystal, Acqua - GhostfromtheMoon Periwinkle - Junalukari Tidus, Titus - Lamenting Oceanwave, Seaice -RainWing Melicertes - MetalDawn71 Naiad - NightSpirit Vodyanoi - Zukotara [u]Contest Ends:[/u] [b]June 8, 2016[/b]
Boy #3:

21779652_350.png

This classy fellow is my Water Flight Rep! Shout out to @Saints for lending me Helena & making the project possible. This guy is so cool, not even Wayfarers are cool enough for him. ;3 His body & wings look a lot like how light can bend on the surface of water if you look at it long enough. There's gotta be a scientific term for that out there somewhere, right?

Potential Names:
Seacrystal, Acqua - GhostfromtheMoon
Periwinkle - Junalukari
Tidus, Titus - Lamenting
Oceanwave, Seaice -RainWing
Melicertes - MetalDawn71
Naiad - NightSpirit
Vodyanoi - Zukotara
Contest Ends: June 8, 2016
HabkC9i.png
@PhantomNimbus
"Din, with her fiery arms, created the red earth."

Ocarina of Time is very close to my heart, and this is line is one of my favorite for its beautiful imagery and the first thing I thought of when I read your first dragon's blurb. Naturally, I immediately thought to find a name with those words in my mind if he was to sire the goddess of power.

Enki - Derived from Sumerian en-ki "lord of the earth". In Eastern Mythology, Enki is the keeper of the Me, the divine laws.

Miltiades - Means "red earth" in Greek. This was the name of the fierce general who led the Greek forces to victory against the Persians in the Battle of Marathon.

Adamah - Means "red earth, of blood" in Israeli. The name of the first created man by the Hebrew god of Abraham is etymologically derived from Adamah.

Nitesh - Is Indian for "heartbeat of the Earth". Unfortunately, there's no cool mythology to follow this name, it simply has a stand alone and image-heavy meaning.

I will likely think on the others as well and post some more, but you mentioned Din and I got excited, so I'll leave you with his suggestions for now. Hope you like!

Edit;; if you're not done posting, let me know and I can delete this and post when you're finished. c:
Edit 2;; I also realize that I'm not sure whether submitting more than one is okay. If not, let me know, I'll narrow this down.
@PhantomNimbus
"Din, with her fiery arms, created the red earth."

Ocarina of Time is very close to my heart, and this is line is one of my favorite for its beautiful imagery and the first thing I thought of when I read your first dragon's blurb. Naturally, I immediately thought to find a name with those words in my mind if he was to sire the goddess of power.

Enki - Derived from Sumerian en-ki "lord of the earth". In Eastern Mythology, Enki is the keeper of the Me, the divine laws.

Miltiades - Means "red earth" in Greek. This was the name of the fierce general who led the Greek forces to victory against the Persians in the Battle of Marathon.

Adamah - Means "red earth, of blood" in Israeli. The name of the first created man by the Hebrew god of Abraham is etymologically derived from Adamah.

Nitesh - Is Indian for "heartbeat of the Earth". Unfortunately, there's no cool mythology to follow this name, it simply has a stand alone and image-heavy meaning.

I will likely think on the others as well and post some more, but you mentioned Din and I got excited, so I'll leave you with his suggestions for now. Hope you like!

Edit;; if you're not done posting, let me know and I can delete this and post when you're finished. c:
Edit 2;; I also realize that I'm not sure whether submitting more than one is okay. If not, let me know, I'll narrow this down.
K7rW7ue.png
@Aprelle - I'm done posting for now - I figure 3 contests open at once is plenty. :3 And yeah, you can submit more than one name per dragon. I added your names for Boy #1
Boy #2 is also a potential Sire for Din - should I submit the above names for him as well?

It's cool to meet a fellow LoZ fan! One of these days I may have myself a Link; I wanted to focus on the Goddesses since it's 3 to a coli team and it'd be really cool to actually fight as the Goddesses [though it does defeat the whole hero of time purpose].
@Aprelle - I'm done posting for now - I figure 3 contests open at once is plenty. :3 And yeah, you can submit more than one name per dragon. I added your names for Boy #1
Boy #2 is also a potential Sire for Din - should I submit the above names for him as well?

It's cool to meet a fellow LoZ fan! One of these days I may have myself a Link; I wanted to focus on the Goddesses since it's 3 to a coli team and it'd be really cool to actually fight as the Goddesses [though it does defeat the whole hero of time purpose].
HabkC9i.png
@PhantomNimbus
Oh yes, please do. I hadn't even read the other two dragons. Like I said, stopped at Din and went with it.
And I think that's a genius idea to have a coli team of the goddesses. I'm a little bit jealous I hadn't thought of it.
I think the only homage I have to LoZ is Hylia fronting my lair. I think if I was to try and find dragons to tribute one of the main three triforce carriers, I'd run myself crazy with needing perfection. c;
@PhantomNimbus
Oh yes, please do. I hadn't even read the other two dragons. Like I said, stopped at Din and went with it.
And I think that's a genius idea to have a coli team of the goddesses. I'm a little bit jealous I hadn't thought of it.
I think the only homage I have to LoZ is Hylia fronting my lair. I think if I was to try and find dragons to tribute one of the main three triforce carriers, I'd run myself crazy with needing perfection. c;
K7rW7ue.png
Boy 2: His sparkly gold belly and red body makes me think of the Chinese dragon dance! And for a tough but not mean guy, I think this wikipedia entry really resonates:

" The dragons are believed to possess qualities that include great power, dignity, fertility, wisdom and auspiciousness. The appearance of a dragon is both fearsome and bold but it has a benevolent disposition, and it was an emblem to represent imperial authority. The movements in a performance traditionally symbolize historical roles of dragons demonstrating power and dignity."

Yellow symbolizes "a solemn empire", and red "excitement".

So, now that I've rambled on forever, my suggestion is Weiyan, which means quite a number of those key traits: dignified, imposing, awe-inspiring, prestige.

@PhantomNimbus
Boy 2: His sparkly gold belly and red body makes me think of the Chinese dragon dance! And for a tough but not mean guy, I think this wikipedia entry really resonates:

" The dragons are believed to possess qualities that include great power, dignity, fertility, wisdom and auspiciousness. The appearance of a dragon is both fearsome and bold but it has a benevolent disposition, and it was an emblem to represent imperial authority. The movements in a performance traditionally symbolize historical roles of dragons demonstrating power and dignity."

Yellow symbolizes "a solemn empire", and red "excitement".

So, now that I've rambled on forever, my suggestion is Weiyan, which means quite a number of those key traits: dignified, imposing, awe-inspiring, prestige.

@PhantomNimbus
qZwEAEI.pngarbalestsmall_zpspn019etd.png
1 2 3 4 5