Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | The Symbiotic (Shade-'Subspecies')
1 2 3
[center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25814737] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/258148/25814737_350.png[/img] [/url] ----- [size=4]"Welcome to the Archives. May Tephra's dying light shine on all of us. Greetings--I am Hestia of Clan Pendulum; Archivist and follower of the fire that moves in eternal motion. I understand you have chosen to come here in pursuit of the very knowledge that builds the pillars of Pendulum's foundation. I bid you both luck and great caution; the path that you desire to follow is full of many twists and turns. This very lair was modeled after such an allegory--the great Leviathan Maze is a labyrinth where the love of Gods comes to die. I cannot promise you fulfillment or greater purpose as result of your expedition but given the circumstances I trust you knew this already. The halls of my clan's archive are long and seeped with knowledge of tales of a time long before either of our hatch days. The further you look the more you may encounter and regardless if the stories attack or welcome you the one rule I hold firmly is that of preservation: under [i]no [/i]circumstance are you to harm these tomes or their pages. Should I find you encroach on the privileges I have given you I will see to it not even the purifying truth of Tephra's words can save your soul. Lastly I implore you to consider this: the royal majesties Nyx and Raine hold you in high regard to allow one as yourself access to these grounds: [i]Do not betray their trust."[/i]

25814737_350.png

"Welcome to the Archives.
May Tephra's dying light shine on all of us. Greetings--I am Hestia of Clan Pendulum; Archivist and follower of the fire that moves in eternal motion.

I understand you have chosen to come here in pursuit of the very knowledge that builds the pillars of Pendulum's foundation. I bid you both luck and great caution; the path that you desire to follow is full of many twists and turns. This very lair was modeled after such an allegory--the great Leviathan Maze is a labyrinth where the love of Gods comes to die. I cannot promise you fulfillment or greater purpose as result of your expedition but given the circumstances I trust you knew this already.

The halls of my clan's archive are long and seeped with knowledge of tales of a time long before either of our hatch days. The further you look the more you may encounter and regardless if the stories attack or welcome you the one rule I hold firmly is that of preservation: under no circumstance are you to harm these tomes or their pages. Should I find you encroach on the privileges I have given you I will see to it not even the purifying truth of Tephra's words can save your soul.

Lastly I implore you to consider this: the royal majesties Nyx and Raine hold you in high regard to allow one as yourself access to these grounds:
Do not betray their trust."
lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]ORIGINS OF THE SYMBIOTIC[/size][/center]----- [columns][left][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258148/25814737p.png[/img][/left][nextcol][right][size=4]"To understand the strain of Shade this clan calls symbiotic you must first understand the history that led us to this point. It was not under the banner of Pendulum that this Shade first appeared. No, it was another time--one whose primary records have been wiped out. By the efforts of others and myself enough documentation exists and has been recovered; I can share with you the story of Temperance."[/size][/right][/columns][center]----- Nestled in a tiny corner that bordered both the [i]Tsunami Flats[/i] and [i]Sea Of A Thousand Currents [/i]lay a clan of dragons bound together by the past and pushing forward into the future. Different species of the eleven elemental flights were united under the actions of each individual's past and the resounding devotion each shared for embracing a different future. [i]Temperance;[/i] the abstinence of partaking in an action. So it was to be known as the clan Temperance and led under a great and shining flag that sang praises to all Eleven Gods. Had the clan remained as it were the tale would have never come to fruition as more than a band of outcasts and betrayers who found refuge in each others arms and power. Fortune had another thought in mind. Deep within the darkest hours and well into the encroaching pressure of the abyssal trenches that lined Water's coldest domains--the clan Temperance came under fire from forces unknown. The attack was brutal. Despite Temperance possessing numerous fighters the clan's prior actions in establishing a separate, smaller residency on the banks of the Tsunami Flats played against it as many dragons were on the surface and unable to descend the depths before the clan was breached. Magic collided with magic and as the labyrinth of undersea tunnels began to flood and collapse dragons drowned or fled for fear of their own lives. Of those that remained none held enough strength to fend off the waves of attackers. The siege was relentless. [i]Raine[/i]--Monarch. [i]Nyx[/i]--Second-In-Command. [i]Solace[/i]--Seer of Fallen Flame. [i]Luz[/i]--Recordkeeper. [i]Telum[/i]--The Veteran. The dragons were pushed further and further back beyond the mangled and lifeless bodies of their late comrades and companions. The end of life was never uncommon in Sornieth yet none of the five desired it. As their final hour drew to a violent close Raine was mortally wounded and lay dying in the dark. -----[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=144917] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/1450/144917_350.png[/img] [/url] [size=4][i]"I will be their mother; their savior; their vessel; their lifeline. I will protect [b]my [/b]children."[/i][/size] ----- [columns][left][size=4]"Minerva does not speak of that day but as one does not need to see the sun to feel its warmth you and I do not need to hear it from her mouth to understand its impact. Minerva is the reason I stand before you today--the reason you seek out my archives and bask in the knowledge these tomes bear witness to. She is the cause to our present."[/size][/left][nextcol][right][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258148/25814737p.png[/img][/right][/columns][center]----- The sudden emergence of the Fae Minerva turned the tide of the battle. The forces who intended to hunt down Temperance's survivors were ensnared in thickening typhoons and haunting riptides propelled by the magic of Wind and the power of something else. Minerva [b]switched [/b]the fate of Temperance's final five. She brought with her not compassion nor warmth but the empty eyes of a being not entirely as one should be. The eyes she bore were draconic yet devoid of the soul once reflected in their depths a time long ago. This was soon overlooked as the other companions of Minerva made themselves known--the Shade. Of all beings damned by the Eleven the Shade on their own were dangerous enough to send clans both dragon and beast alike fleeing in terror. They were not to be trifled with or called upon lightly. Common history of the realm of Sornieth hinted at the devastating strength the Shade held and the Eleven Gods fight to contain and destroy it. Minerva held in her palm not an offer of hope but one of conditional salvation. Her children needed vessels to spread their influence and power and the survivors of Temperance needed her children to survive--lest each dragon's wounds take hold as they had Raine. Nyx was adamantly against such a pact but as the strings of fate played their final tune for the dragons he was faced with an ultimatum: accept the defeat and loss of his and his dear companions' lives or play into Minerva's hand. ----- [columns][left][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258148/25814737p.png[/img][/left][nextcol][right][size=4]"Pendulum was built on the backs of those who accepted the Shade Minerva brought. This clan cannot survive without it. Our very leaders are infused with its essence. They have forsaken their vows to their deities in pursuit of life. But perhaps that was not as bad as the records lead us to believe. It did, after all, compel you here. To share the past with another will always be a privilege to me."[/size][/right][/columns]-----
ORIGINS OF THE SYMBIOTIC

25814737p.png
"To understand the strain of Shade this clan calls symbiotic you must first understand the history that led us to this point. It was not under the banner of Pendulum that this Shade first appeared. No, it was another time--one whose primary records have been wiped out. By the efforts of others and myself enough documentation exists and has been recovered; I can share with you the story of Temperance."

Nestled in a tiny corner that bordered both the Tsunami Flats and Sea Of A Thousand Currents lay a clan of dragons bound together by the past and pushing forward into the future. Different species of the eleven elemental flights were united under the actions of each individual's past and the resounding devotion each shared for embracing a different future.

Temperance; the abstinence of partaking in an action. So it was to be known as the clan Temperance and led under a great and shining flag that sang praises to all Eleven Gods. Had the clan remained as it were the tale would have never come to fruition as more than a band of outcasts and betrayers who found refuge in each others arms and power. Fortune had another thought in mind.

Deep within the darkest hours and well into the encroaching pressure of the abyssal trenches that lined Water's coldest domains--the clan Temperance came under fire from forces unknown.

The attack was brutal. Despite Temperance possessing numerous fighters the clan's prior actions in establishing a separate, smaller residency on the banks of the Tsunami Flats played against it as many dragons were on the surface and unable to descend the depths before the clan was breached. Magic collided with magic and as the labyrinth of undersea tunnels began to flood and collapse dragons drowned or fled for fear of their own lives. Of those that remained none held enough strength to fend off the waves of attackers. The siege was relentless.

Raine--Monarch.

Nyx--Second-In-Command.

Solace--Seer of Fallen Flame.

Luz--Recordkeeper.

Telum--The Veteran.

The dragons were pushed further and further back beyond the mangled and lifeless bodies of their late comrades and companions. The end of life was never uncommon in Sornieth yet none of the five desired it. As their final hour drew to a violent close Raine was mortally wounded and lay dying in the dark.

144917_350.png

"I will be their mother; their savior; their vessel; their lifeline.
I will protect my children."

"Minerva does not speak of that day but as one does not need to see the sun to feel its warmth you and I do not need to hear it from her mouth to understand its impact. Minerva is the reason I stand before you today--the reason you seek out my archives and bask in the knowledge these tomes bear witness to. She is the cause to our present."
25814737p.png

The sudden emergence of the Fae Minerva turned the tide of the battle. The forces who intended to hunt down Temperance's survivors were ensnared in thickening typhoons and haunting riptides propelled by the magic of Wind and the power of something else. Minerva switched the fate of Temperance's final five.

She brought with her not compassion nor warmth but the empty eyes of a being not entirely as one should be. The eyes she bore were draconic yet devoid of the soul once reflected in their depths a time long ago. This was soon overlooked as the other companions of Minerva made themselves known--the Shade.

Of all beings damned by the Eleven the Shade on their own were dangerous enough to send clans both dragon and beast alike fleeing in terror. They were not to be trifled with or called upon lightly. Common history of the realm of Sornieth hinted at the devastating strength the Shade held and the Eleven Gods fight to contain and destroy it. Minerva held in her palm not an offer of hope but one of conditional salvation. Her children needed vessels to spread their influence and power and the survivors of Temperance needed her children to survive--lest each dragon's wounds take hold as they had Raine.

Nyx was adamantly against such a pact but as the strings of fate played their final tune for the dragons he was faced with an ultimatum: accept the defeat and loss of his and his dear companions' lives or play into Minerva's hand.
25814737p.png
"Pendulum was built on the backs of those who accepted the Shade Minerva brought. This clan cannot survive without it. Our very leaders are infused with its essence. They have forsaken their vows to their deities in pursuit of life. But perhaps that was not as bad as the records lead us to believe. It did, after all, compel you here. To share the past with another will always be a privilege to me."

lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]NATURE OF SYMBIOTIC SHADE[/size][/center]----- [columns][left][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258148/25814737p.png[/img][/left][nextcol][right][size=4]"It is imperative to acknowledge that despite the time spent attempting to document and uncover the secrets of this Shade it is no more known as the farthest reaches and deepest depths of the oceans covering our small world. It may manifest differently for different species of dragons. Pendulum's Head Researcher theorizes the very element of a dragon may also have a factor in what role the Shade plays in a their life."[/size][/right][/columns][center]----- [size=4]The symbiotic Shade is considered a strain of Shade [i]mutualistic [/i]in nature. Despite other forms of Shade more commonly known throughout the realms the mutualistic strain is beneficial for both parties involved. It is best described in the phrase, "gives and takes" as while the strain will inflict its own challenges on a host it will also open up new possibilities in a dragons life--going so far as to change a dragons very composition in order to do so. Based off the results of the symbiotic Shade as it merged with the original five tainted dragons of Temperance it has demonstrated the following abilities regarding a dragon's physical features:[/size][LIST=1] [*]The Shade is known to bring a dragon back from the brink of death. Injuries that should have forced an individual to pass over to the other side will reverse or heal over the abrasions. Organs can be regrown but limbs are questionable. [*]The Shade will not operate without duress imposed on the host. Even though it may extend a dragons life the ways that the Shade accomplishes such often have unseen conditions that may wind up worse than the initial problem. [*]The Shade often reflect a dragons element in how it expresses itself on the host. The tainted dragon [i]Raine [/i]reflects this in that her Shade-borne wings feature the same fragility that thin ice does; it cracks under the slightest movement and is constantly in a state of repair. [*]The Shade do not have a preference for appearing [i]"darker" [/i]or [i]"lighter."[/i] The physical manifestations can be eerie, unnerving, corporeal, enchanting, or all of the aforementioned. The appearance of the Shade does not change its symbiotic strain. [*]The Shade provide their own form of magic-based "antibodies" that shield the host from being possessed by [i]other [/i]strains of Shade. [*]The Shade do not have any influence on their hosts mental health. [/LIST] [size=4] Currently there are two known degrees of afflictions regarding the symbiotic strain of Shade: the [i]Shade-Bound[/i] and the [i]Shade-Tainted.[/i] While these terms are close enough to be interchangeable in majority of discussion there are times when the differences must be noted for sake of accurately dissecting what is known. When used in the context of the symbiotic Shade the term [i]Shade-Bound[/i] is a descriptor given to dragons who possess contagions drastic enough to influence and corrupt their magic. Both Minerva and Patron are the primary examples. While the latter does not engage in magic and fares poorly with it the Fae Minerva is capable of conducting catastrophic spells through the strength of both her own prior training and that which is lent to her by her Shade. Exposure to the magic by a dragon who is not adequately protected will result in the Shade attempting to spread to new dragons. Dragons who are contaminated by Shade-corrupt magic or descended of either Shade-Bound or Shade-Tainted dragons may become [i]Shade-Tainted[/i] dragons themselves. Shade-Tainted dragons are considered hosts with weaker links to the symbiotic shade. They will still experience similar benefits regarding the strengths and magic potential that the Shade can unlock on their side but they are more prone to the negative effects the Shade bring. One notable trait that keeps them separate from the Shade-Bound is that their magic cannot spread the Shade directly to others--enabling Shade-Tainted dragons to live in relative peace should they be able to hide their connection to Shade. Both Shade-Bound and Shade-Tainted dragons are capable of producing offspring that can pass on Shade to their own offspring regardless if the initial offspring themselves has inherited the same connection to Shade. Through this the Shade can be unknowingly handed down through generations without parents or grandparents showing signs of Shade manifestation. Given the fact most dragons of Sornieth do not view the Shade as a good force regardless of which strain it is the overwhelming majority of dragons who possess the symbiotic strain of Shade will be responded to poorly by both dragons who seek the end of all Shade and by some dragons who possess other strains of Shade. Some Shade-possessed dragons view those who possess the symbiotic strain as weaker or traitors to their own kind given the symbiotic strain does not consume and make its hosts into unwilling or empty vessels but produces a balance of both good and ills within the host's body. -----
NATURE OF SYMBIOTIC SHADE

25814737p.png
"It is imperative to acknowledge that despite the time spent attempting to document and uncover the secrets of this Shade it is no more known as the farthest reaches and deepest depths of the oceans covering our small world. It may manifest differently for different species of dragons. Pendulum's Head Researcher theorizes the very element of a dragon may also have a factor in what role the Shade plays in a their life."

The symbiotic Shade is considered a strain of Shade mutualistic in nature. Despite other forms of Shade more commonly known throughout the realms the mutualistic strain is beneficial for both parties involved. It is best described in the phrase, "gives and takes" as while the strain will inflict its own challenges on a host it will also open up new possibilities in a dragons life--going so far as to change a dragons very composition in order to do so.

Based off the results of the symbiotic Shade as it merged with the original five tainted dragons of Temperance it has demonstrated the following abilities regarding a dragon's physical features:
  1. The Shade is known to bring a dragon back from the brink of death. Injuries that should have forced an individual to pass over to the other side will reverse or heal over the abrasions. Organs can be regrown but limbs are questionable.
  2. The Shade will not operate without duress imposed on the host. Even though it may extend a dragons life the ways that the Shade accomplishes such often have unseen conditions that may wind up worse than the initial problem.
  3. The Shade often reflect a dragons element in how it expresses itself on the host. The tainted dragon Raine reflects this in that her Shade-borne wings feature the same fragility that thin ice does; it cracks under the slightest movement and is constantly in a state of repair.
  4. The Shade do not have a preference for appearing "darker" or "lighter." The physical manifestations can be eerie, unnerving, corporeal, enchanting, or all of the aforementioned. The appearance of the Shade does not change its symbiotic strain.
  5. The Shade provide their own form of magic-based "antibodies" that shield the host from being possessed by other strains of Shade.
  6. The Shade do not have any influence on their hosts mental health.

Currently there are two known degrees of afflictions regarding the symbiotic strain of Shade: the Shade-Bound and the Shade-Tainted. While these terms are close enough to be interchangeable in majority of discussion there are times when the differences must be noted for sake of accurately dissecting what is known.

When used in the context of the symbiotic Shade the term Shade-Bound is a descriptor given to dragons who possess contagions drastic enough to influence and corrupt their magic. Both Minerva and Patron are the primary examples. While the latter does not engage in magic and fares poorly with it the Fae Minerva is capable of conducting catastrophic spells through the strength of both her own prior training and that which is lent to her by her Shade. Exposure to the magic by a dragon who is not adequately protected will result in the Shade attempting to spread to new dragons.

Dragons who are contaminated by Shade-corrupt magic or descended of either Shade-Bound or Shade-Tainted dragons may become Shade-Tainted dragons themselves. Shade-Tainted dragons are considered hosts with weaker links to the symbiotic shade. They will still experience similar benefits regarding the strengths and magic potential that the Shade can unlock on their side but they are more prone to the negative effects the Shade bring. One notable trait that keeps them separate from the Shade-Bound is that their magic cannot spread the Shade directly to others--enabling Shade-Tainted dragons to live in relative peace should they be able to hide their connection to Shade.

Both Shade-Bound and Shade-Tainted dragons are capable of producing offspring that can pass on Shade to their own offspring regardless if the initial offspring themselves has inherited the same connection to Shade. Through this the Shade can be unknowingly handed down through generations without parents or grandparents showing signs of Shade manifestation.

Given the fact most dragons of Sornieth do not view the Shade as a good force regardless of which strain it is the overwhelming majority of dragons who possess the symbiotic strain of Shade will be responded to poorly by both dragons who seek the end of all Shade and by some dragons who possess other strains of Shade. Some Shade-possessed dragons view those who possess the symbiotic strain as weaker or traitors to their own kind given the symbiotic strain does not consume and make its hosts into unwilling or empty vessels but produces a balance of both good and ills within the host's body.

lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]MOTHER OF SHADE AND HER GUARDIAN[/size][/center]----- [columns][left][size=4][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/1450/144917p.png[/img][br]Minerva;[br]A Fae of unprecedented magical skill. She is thought to have been murdered decades ago and resurrected by forces unknown. She brought the symbiotic strain of Shade with her re-emergence.[/size][/left][nextcol][right][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/1450/144916p.png[/img][br][size=4]Patron;[br]Guardian of Shade and mate to Minerva. He rose from his grave and found her in the throes of Light's domain. Unfaltering loyalty and devotion toward her and their offspring--both Shade and draconic alike.[/size][/right][/columns] [center][size=3] ----- [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/579.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/578.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/581.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/584.png[/img] ----- When the clan Pendulum experienced harsh turmoil in the form of enemies laying siege to Pendulum's predecessor clan [i]Temperance [/i]Minerva appeared to save the survivors when all hope was lost. Her actions did not come without a price: Minerva's 'children' required new hosts and the survivors of Pendulum traded their livelihoods and devotion of the Eleven Gods for a life now damned by the very deities they once swore oaths to. The sacrifice was great but it extended the lives of the survivors. At the same time--Minerva's actions opened a new door for a strain of Shade to emerge. At present time the understanding of Minerva's Shade is not fully known and research continues to be conducted yet one factor that remains consistent regardless of who enters and exits the picture is that Minerva considers her Shade her children and likewise the symbiotic Shade act in accordance with her words. Sentient or not the symbiotic Shade hold Minerva highly. Their reactions and the way they engage with those of the mortal-or once mortal-realm corresponds directly to Minerva's wishes, thoughts, and feelings. Should Minerva express her children devour the light of a dragon the Shade will heed her call and consume the soul overnight. This sense of kinship is shared with Minerva's mate Patron--albeit to a lesser degree and in a slightly different way. ----- [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/582.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/586.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/587.png[/img]----- Patron was not present when Minerva's magic took hold of the falling clan Temperance. Patron himself wandered the lands of Sornieth for many months until tracking down the location of Pendulum and reuniting with Minerva. Despite the two supposedly being 'resurrected' at two separate intervals they behave as if nothing has happened between them. Patron's passion and loyalty toward Minerva is matched equally by the Fae--as is the two's mutual protectiveness toward the symbiotic Shade. Should one ask Patron will always answer that he alone is the Shade's guardian. He does not consider himself a parental figure-though Minerva speaks of him as such and the symbiotic Shade appear to consider him one of their leaders-and brushes aside assumptions and assertions of stuff. Patron is not keen on giving orders to his and Minerva's offspring but should anyone lay a hand on the symbiotic Shade he will be first to act and do so with full force of an enraged behemoth. He does not need to know magic to tear up the lands and lift boulders and trees for defense. ----- [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/577.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/19564.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/580.png[/img]----- Despite the Shade being thought of Minerva's and-offhandedly-Patron's offspring the actual draconic hatchlings produced by the pair's clutches are not guaranteed to express any strange anomalies. Many nests have caused "normal" hatchlings to emerge from their eggs and those hatchlings often have no knowledge of the Shade nor magical inhibition beyond what is expected for their respective species. That is not to say all hatchlings do not inherit their parents connection to the symbiotic Shade. On occasion a hatchling will emerge from an egg coated in the Shade from head-to-toe. The Shade will infuse themselves with the young dragon's spirit. While most hatchlings do not survive the ensuing sloth of events the rare survivors will emerge from the Shade-fueled fevers and nightmares with their magic tainted and sharing the same corrupt features as their mother Minerva.[br] ----- [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/583.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/585.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/7691.png[/img]-----
MOTHER OF SHADE AND HER GUARDIAN

144917p.png
Minerva;
A Fae of unprecedented magical skill. She is thought to have been murdered decades ago and resurrected by forces unknown. She brought the symbiotic strain of Shade with her re-emergence.
144916p.png
Patron;
Guardian of Shade and mate to Minerva. He rose from his grave and found her in the throes of Light's domain. Unfaltering loyalty and devotion toward her and their offspring--both Shade and draconic alike.

579.png578.png581.png584.png
When the clan Pendulum experienced harsh turmoil in the form of enemies laying siege to Pendulum's predecessor clan Temperance Minerva appeared to save the survivors when all hope was lost. Her actions did not come without a price: Minerva's 'children' required new hosts and the survivors of Pendulum traded their livelihoods and devotion of the Eleven Gods for a life now damned by the very deities they once swore oaths to.

The sacrifice was great but it extended the lives of the survivors. At the same time--Minerva's actions opened a new door for a strain of Shade to emerge. At present time the understanding of Minerva's Shade is not fully known and research continues to be conducted yet one factor that remains consistent regardless of who enters and exits the picture is that Minerva considers her Shade her children and likewise the symbiotic Shade act in accordance with her words.

Sentient or not the symbiotic Shade hold Minerva highly. Their reactions and the way they engage with those of the mortal-or once mortal-realm corresponds directly to Minerva's wishes, thoughts, and feelings. Should Minerva express her children devour the light of a dragon the Shade will heed her call and consume the soul overnight. This sense of kinship is shared with Minerva's mate Patron--albeit to a lesser degree and in a slightly different way.
582.png586.png587.png

Patron was not present when Minerva's magic took hold of the falling clan Temperance. Patron himself wandered the lands of Sornieth for many months until tracking down the location of Pendulum and reuniting with Minerva. Despite the two supposedly being 'resurrected' at two separate intervals they behave as if nothing has happened between them. Patron's passion and loyalty toward Minerva is matched equally by the Fae--as is the two's mutual protectiveness toward the symbiotic Shade.

Should one ask Patron will always answer that he alone is the Shade's guardian. He does not consider himself a parental figure-though Minerva speaks of him as such and the symbiotic Shade appear to consider him one of their leaders-and brushes aside assumptions and assertions of stuff. Patron is not keen on giving orders to his and Minerva's offspring but should anyone lay a hand on the symbiotic Shade he will be first to act and do so with full force of an enraged behemoth. He does not need to know magic to tear up the lands and lift boulders and trees for defense.
577.png19564.png580.png

Despite the Shade being thought of Minerva's and-offhandedly-Patron's offspring the actual draconic hatchlings produced by the pair's clutches are not guaranteed to express any strange anomalies. Many nests have caused "normal" hatchlings to emerge from their eggs and those hatchlings often have no knowledge of the Shade nor magical inhibition beyond what is expected for their respective species. That is not to say all hatchlings do not inherit their parents connection to the symbiotic Shade.

On occasion a hatchling will emerge from an egg coated in the Shade from head-to-toe. The Shade will infuse themselves with the young dragon's spirit. While most hatchlings do not survive the ensuing sloth of events the rare survivors will emerge from the Shade-fueled fevers and nightmares with their magic tainted and sharing the same corrupt features as their mother Minerva.

583.png585.png7691.png
lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]VESSELS OF THE SYMBIOTIC[/size][/center] ----- [columns][left][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=153796][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/1538/153796p.png[/img][/url][/left][nextcol][size=4][i]Raine, Head Monarch of Pendulum. Shade-Tainted.[/size][/i][right] Raine did not have a choice whether or not to form a pact with the symbiotic Shade--she was already in a state of dying by the time Minerva got to her. Due to the injuries present at her time of tainting the Shade were forced to aggressively manifest in order to save her life. They now appear in the form of glistening glass wings stuck in a state of fracture and reform.[/right][/columns] ----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/equipment/21228.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/equipment/2889.png[/img][img]http://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/409.png[/img][/center] ----- [columns][right][i][size=4]Nyx, Co-Monarch of Pendulum. Shade-Tainted.[/right][/i][/size][right]In an act of desperation to save his wife Nyx agreed to let Minerva contaminate both him and Raine. He does not regret the decision now, or so he says. Nyx adorns many layers of clothing to hide the manifestation of Shade on his lower limbs and face. His Shade take the form of exposed bone and sinew that cannot heal.[/right][nextcol] [right][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=168539][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/1686/168539p.png[/img][/url][/right][/columns] ----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/equipment/10659.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/1067.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/203.png[/img][/center] ----- [columns][left][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=827530][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/8276/827530p.png[/img][/url][/left][nextcol][size=4][i]Solace, Seer of Fallen Fire. Shade-Tainted.[/size][/i][right] To Solace the thought of becoming one with the symbiotic Shade is not pitiful or weak. In her eyes it all falls in line with the divine will of the late Tephra; the deity of liquid fire and defeated martyr of defiance. Solace views her Shade as a tool to accomplish holy goals. Her Shade manifest on her in the form of glowing opalesque crystals that begin staring back at you if your gaze lingers too long.[/right][/columns]-----[center] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/21375.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/equipment/23289.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/5711.png[/img][/center]----- [columns][right][i][size=4]Luz, Ancestor to Hestia. Shade-Tainted.[/right][/i][/size][right]Sharing in her wife's loyalty to the spirit Tephra--Luz holds no qualms against the symbiotic Shade and welcomes them as part of Tephra's ultimate will. She believes the new strain of Shade may bring salvation to dragons of Sornieth and freedom from the Eleven High Gods. Her Shade appear as ethereal sunspots brimming across her wing membranes and fins. Touching them will cause serious burns to any non-Fire dragons; including herself.[/right][nextcol] [right][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=317398][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/3174/317398p.png[/img][/url][/right][/columns]----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/16440.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/13390.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/8094.png[/img][/center]----- [columns][left][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=113136][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/1132/113136p.png[/img][/url][/left][nextcol][size=4][i]Telum, The Veteran. Shade-Tainted.[/size][/i][right] Neglecting to go by his actual name the Mirror known as Veteran is an older individual keen on pushing his limits--Shade or no Shade. Any negative feelings toward Shade have since dissipated due in part to his reunion with his old pal Minerva. Veteran's Shade is falling off his body in waves and plumes of thick smoke; exposure to such substance by the unprepared can leave dragons in a state of temporary paralysis[/right][/columns]----- [center] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/13413.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/equipment/6283.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/191.png[/img][/center]-----
VESSELS OF THE SYMBIOTIC

153796p.png
Raine, Head Monarch of Pendulum. Shade-Tainted.
Raine did not have a choice whether or not to form a pact with the symbiotic Shade--she was already in a state of dying by the time Minerva got to her. Due to the injuries present at her time of tainting the Shade were forced to aggressively manifest in order to save her life. They now appear in the form of glistening glass wings stuck in a state of fracture and reform.

21228.png2889.png409.png

Nyx, Co-Monarch of Pendulum. Shade-Tainted.
In an act of desperation to save his wife Nyx agreed to let Minerva contaminate both him and Raine. He does not regret the decision now, or so he says. Nyx adorns many layers of clothing to hide the manifestation of Shade on his lower limbs and face. His Shade take the form of exposed bone and sinew that cannot heal.
168539p.png

10659.png1067.png203.png

827530p.png
Solace, Seer of Fallen Fire. Shade-Tainted.
To Solace the thought of becoming one with the symbiotic Shade is not pitiful or weak. In her eyes it all falls in line with the divine will of the late Tephra; the deity of liquid fire and defeated martyr of defiance. Solace views her Shade as a tool to accomplish holy goals. Her Shade manifest on her in the form of glowing opalesque crystals that begin staring back at you if your gaze lingers too long.

21375.png23289.png5711.png

Luz, Ancestor to Hestia. Shade-Tainted.
Sharing in her wife's loyalty to the spirit Tephra--Luz holds no qualms against the symbiotic Shade and welcomes them as part of Tephra's ultimate will. She believes the new strain of Shade may bring salvation to dragons of Sornieth and freedom from the Eleven High Gods. Her Shade appear as ethereal sunspots brimming across her wing membranes and fins. Touching them will cause serious burns to any non-Fire dragons; including herself.
317398p.png

16440.png13390.png8094.png

113136p.png
Telum, The Veteran. Shade-Tainted.
Neglecting to go by his actual name the Mirror known as Veteran is an older individual keen on pushing his limits--Shade or no Shade. Any negative feelings toward Shade have since dissipated due in part to his reunion with his old pal Minerva. Veteran's Shade is falling off his body in waves and plumes of thick smoke; exposure to such substance by the unprepared can leave dragons in a state of temporary paralysis

13413.png6283.png191.png

lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]HEAD RESEARCHER CANDOR[/size][/center]----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31950862] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/319509/31950862_350.png[/img] [/url]----- [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/1137.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/7689.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/5916.png[/img]-----Pendulum's monarchs have successfully recruited a Fae of similar stature to assist them in their efforts to explore the extent of the symbiotic Shade to the fullest. Candor is a Fae whose own bloodline can be traced to a dangerous entity known as [i]The Gatekeeper Naomi[/i]. While the Fae refuses to indulge further information regarding [i]his [/i]family secrets he is driven to uncover the truth of the symbiotic shade. His cursed heritage grants him immunity to the contagions found in both the Shade and Minerva's corrupt magic making him the perfect dragon to designate Head Researcher. While not the most social Candor is willing to discuss what must be talked about for the sake of his research. He has successfully gained the respect and trust of the shade-tainted dragons to the point each of them have unanimously given consent to proceed with experiments testing the capability and reactions of Minerva's Shade. Minerva herself will vouch for the good will and sincere nature Candor carries; she claims he is the only Shade-involved dragon who does not have anything to gain from the research and thus truly unbiased in actions. Candor is the only member of Pendulum who does not require extensive use of magic to witness the quarantined residents of the clan's Inner Sanctum firsthand. His shady background lends well to easing him in and out of the different chambers of Pendulum without requiring the aid or assistance of others. ----- [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/5916.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/7689.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/1137.png[/img]-----
HEAD RESEARCHER CANDOR

31950862_350.png

1137.png7689.png5916.png
Pendulum's monarchs have successfully recruited a Fae of similar stature to assist them in their efforts to explore the extent of the symbiotic Shade to the fullest. Candor is a Fae whose own bloodline can be traced to a dangerous entity known as The Gatekeeper Naomi.

While the Fae refuses to indulge further information regarding his family secrets he is driven to uncover the truth of the symbiotic shade. His cursed heritage grants him immunity to the contagions found in both the Shade and Minerva's corrupt magic making him the perfect dragon to designate Head Researcher.

While not the most social Candor is willing to discuss what must be talked about for the sake of his research. He has successfully gained the respect and trust of the shade-tainted dragons to the point each of them have unanimously given consent to proceed with experiments testing the capability and reactions of Minerva's Shade. Minerva herself will vouch for the good will and sincere nature Candor carries; she claims he is the only Shade-involved dragon who does not have anything to gain from the research and thus truly unbiased in actions.

Candor is the only member of Pendulum who does not require extensive use of magic to witness the quarantined residents of the clan's Inner Sanctum firsthand. His shady background lends well to easing him in and out of the different chambers of Pendulum without requiring the aid or assistance of others.
5916.png7689.png1137.png
lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]SYMBIOTIC HERITAGE[/size][/center]----- [columns][left][size=4]While the primary lot of offspring from the Shade-Bound Mother and her Guardian possess no special qualities an anomaly occurs every few hatches where a hatchling will come in possession of powerful corrupted magic. It is theorized that dragons who descend from the direct children of Minerva and Patron may produce their own Shade-tainted offspring regardless of the dragon's involvement with the symbiotic Shade.[br][br]Minerva and Patron care deeply for their children regardless of the draconic or shady nature. Both parents encourage their offspring of all kinds to get along. It is not uncommon to see Minerva chiding the Shade and an apathetic hatchling for causing chaos to an unfortunate clan member, or to see the Shade taking a hatchling-like form and sleeping curled up on Patron's back with their draconic siblings.[/size][/left] [nextcol][right] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/1450/144917.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/1450/144916.png[/img][/right][/columns] ----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/3395.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/8098.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/16445.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/8095.png[/img][/center]----- [columns][left][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/1538/153796.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/1686/168539.png[/img][/left] [nextcol][right][size=4]While the monarchs of Pendulum pass their own meager royal blood to their children both Nyx and Raine are also carriers of the symbiotic Shade. With most of their children choosing to serve the very Gods that Pendulum is thought to damn them Nyx and Raine do not appear to produce clutches of dragons out of the ordinary.[br][br]Neither are certain if this is a desirable outcome; Nyx and Raine possess conflicting feelings and thoughts on whether the spreading of Minerva's Shade through their descendants is a good sign. Nonetheless Head Researcher Candor still believes that it is possible for them to parent a potential carrier of the symbiotic Shade. He argues it is not impossible but [i]incredibly [/i]rare--especially when one considers the fact most offspring leave to serve the Gods before given time to develop signs of the symbiotic Shade's possession.[/size][/right][/columns]-----[center] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/food/20136.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/3501.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/13399.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/188.png[/img][/center]----- [columns][left][size=4]Of the dragons with ties to the symbiotic Shade both Luz and Solace have produced the most hatchlings who carry the strain on inside them. Despite the two's age they continue to successfully hatch numerous clutches throughout the breeding seasons and nurture each nest carefully. Should one ask Luz she will answer, [i]"It is the will of liquid fire for such a form of Shade to exist. May we forge our own fates through its power."[/i][br][br]Regardless of the choices the two's offspring make or their descendants choices in how they deal with the symbiotic Shade one thing is clear: if the fallen star Tephra wills it then both dragons will embrace the 'gift' of Shade fully and celebrate its presence in the two's lives and the lives of the their children.[/left] [nextcol][right][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/8276/827530.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/3174/317398.png[/img][/right][/columns]-----[center] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/21391.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/23820.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/1148.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/21403.png[/img][/center] ----- [columns][left][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/1132/113136.png[/img][/left] [nextcol][right][size=4]It is nigh impossible to determine how many of The Veteran's offspring possess the same strain of Shade he does--and for good reason. Veteran constantly claims to pursue the life of a single bachelor yet in spite of such declarations he is known for spending many nights with other dragons out of the clan and passing through clan grounds. The total number of offspring with his blood is not known.[/right][/columns]-----[center] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/19259.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/190.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/9842.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/6342.png[/img][/center]----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/258148/25814737p.png[/img]-----[size=4]"I worry for them; the descendants of those plagued by Shade--symbiotic or not. The sun may shine its light on the descendants of Shade but there are days the clouds will cover the sky and not even the light will be able to guide them. Should such a day come and another hatchling with Minerva's blessing is gifted to this world I pray they will have the power to find their own place--whether it be here or in [i]another [/i]clan."[/size] [i] @ Pengy to be put on a pinglist for any of the above pairs. Each are bred regularly with the exception of Veteran.[/i]
SYMBIOTIC HERITAGE

While the primary lot of offspring from the Shade-Bound Mother and her Guardian possess no special qualities an anomaly occurs every few hatches where a hatchling will come in possession of powerful corrupted magic. It is theorized that dragons who descend from the direct children of Minerva and Patron may produce their own Shade-tainted offspring regardless of the dragon's involvement with the symbiotic Shade.

Minerva and Patron care deeply for their children regardless of the draconic or shady nature. Both parents encourage their offspring of all kinds to get along. It is not uncommon to see Minerva chiding the Shade and an apathetic hatchling for causing chaos to an unfortunate clan member, or to see the Shade taking a hatchling-like form and sleeping curled up on Patron's back with their draconic siblings.
144917.png144916.png

3395.png8098.png16445.png8095.png

153796.png168539.png
While the monarchs of Pendulum pass their own meager royal blood to their children both Nyx and Raine are also carriers of the symbiotic Shade. With most of their children choosing to serve the very Gods that Pendulum is thought to damn them Nyx and Raine do not appear to produce clutches of dragons out of the ordinary.

Neither are certain if this is a desirable outcome; Nyx and Raine possess conflicting feelings and thoughts on whether the spreading of Minerva's Shade through their descendants is a good sign. Nonetheless Head Researcher Candor still believes that it is possible for them to parent a potential carrier of the symbiotic Shade. He argues it is not impossible but incredibly rare--especially when one considers the fact most offspring leave to serve the Gods before given time to develop signs of the symbiotic Shade's possession.

20136.png3501.png13399.png188.png

Of the dragons with ties to the symbiotic Shade both Luz and Solace have produced the most hatchlings who carry the strain on inside them. Despite the two's age they continue to successfully hatch numerous clutches throughout the breeding seasons and nurture each nest carefully. Should one ask Luz she will answer, "It is the will of liquid fire for such a form of Shade to exist. May we forge our own fates through its power."

Regardless of the choices the two's offspring make or their descendants choices in how they deal with the symbiotic Shade one thing is clear: if the fallen star Tephra wills it then both dragons will embrace the 'gift' of Shade fully and celebrate its presence in the two's lives and the lives of the their children.
827530.png317398.png

21391.png23820.png1148.png21403.png

113136.png
It is nigh impossible to determine how many of The Veteran's offspring possess the same strain of Shade he does--and for good reason. Veteran constantly claims to pursue the life of a single bachelor yet in spite of such declarations he is known for spending many nights with other dragons out of the clan and passing through clan grounds. The total number of offspring with his blood is not known.

19259.png190.png9842.png6342.png

25814737p.png
"I worry for them; the descendants of those plagued by Shade--symbiotic or not.

The sun may shine its light on the descendants of Shade but there are days the clouds will cover the sky and not even the light will be able to guide them. Should such a day come and another hatchling with Minerva's blessing is gifted to this world I pray they will have the power to find their own place--whether it be here or in another clan."

@ Pengy to be put on a pinglist for any of the above pairs.
Each are bred regularly with the exception of Veteran.

lapis+rose
28 they/them
[center][size=5]RESEARCHER'S CONTACTS[/size][/center]-----[center][size=4][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/319509/31950862p.png[/img]----- "I don't normally extend invitations like this but I guess if their majesties trust you then you can't be so bad. I send out messenger birds and winged hares regularly to inform my confidantes and others of interest of updates and the progress of my own personal research. If you like--you may leave your name here with me. I will see to it our scribe Mirror keeps the information secret. If you don't trust me perhaps we can come up with a different means of exchanging information... How about an identification number? You can assign a number to your clan and give me that in place of a name--if you want to, um.. yeah."[/size] [i]@ roselapisto be put on the pinglist for updates and news regarding the shade-bound dragons of the symbiotic Shade! You can have your name listed here or your clan's ID# if you feel like being extra sneaky. PINGLIST: clanheartsgleam, CosmicFalcon, Ashborne, Shadowfire1223[/i]----- [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/14446.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/1167.png[/img][img]http://flightrising.com/images/cms/trinket/21406.png[/img]-----
RESEARCHER'S CONTACTS

31950862p.png
"I don't normally extend invitations like this but I guess if their majesties trust you then you can't be so bad.

I send out messenger birds and winged hares regularly to inform my confidantes and others of interest of updates and the progress of my own personal research. If you like--you may leave your name here with me. I will see to it our scribe Mirror keeps the information secret.

If you don't trust me perhaps we can come up with a different means of exchanging information... How about an identification number? You can assign a number to your clan and give me that in place of a name--if you want to, um.. yeah."

@ roselapisto be put on the pinglist for updates and news regarding the shade-bound dragons of the symbiotic Shade! You can have your name listed here or your clan's ID# if you feel like being extra sneaky.

PINGLIST:
clanheartsgleam, CosmicFalcon, Ashborne, Shadowfire1223

14446.png1167.png21406.png
lapis+rose
28 they/them
CELEBRATORY BUMP

GUESS WHICH THREAD IS DONE (for now)

\ (^w^) /
THIS STRAIN OF SHADE'S THREAD IS
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

edit
@thistill @clanheartsgleam
pls come look <3
CELEBRATORY BUMP

GUESS WHICH THREAD IS DONE (for now)

\ (^w^) /
THIS STRAIN OF SHADE'S THREAD IS
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO

edit
@thistill @clanheartsgleam
pls come look <3
lapis+rose
28 they/them
at any point in time feel free to be put on the pinglist for this thread, btw. (^wo)b gosh we are so excited aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this took so long
at any point in time feel free to be put on the pinglist for this thread, btw. (^wo)b gosh we are so excited aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this took so long
lapis+rose
28 they/them
1 2 3