Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Lore] Secrets Best Kept
[center][color=purple][size=6][font=century gothic]Secrets Best Kept[/font][/size] The Verboten Guild had known relative peace since rising from the ashes of their battle against the robotic dragons led by a vengeful AI. But change was in the air, according to the scryers and mystics that acted as the Guild Master's council. She wanted to ignore it. She wished for nothing more than life to continue as it was, her fellow dragons prospering. The continent was still recovering from a string of major occurrences that left the population confused, scared, and seeking answers. "Gaolers are spreading from the Fortress of Ends." The warning came. "They're on the hunt, and nothing will stop them." ----- [color=purple]Rules will be coming from [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/2037638]Pinkerton's Plundered Writing Prompt[/url][/center] [quote=Rules] [center][u][b]Common Drops[/b][/u][/center] Write a new page that moves the story forward, using the main characters already established. [b]Plants:[/b] At least some level of peace is established. [b]Insects:[/b] At least some level of unease is established. [b]Seafood:[/b] Take anything that happened from the previous page and turn it on its head. [b]Meat:[/b] Something influentially important happens. [b]Materials:[/b] Try to include the material, or at least write a page inspired by the material. [b]Trinkets:[/b] Either introduce a new character or write an analysis/navel-gazing/flashback of one of the existing ones. [center][u][b]Uncommon Drops[/b][/u][/center] [b]Familiars:[/b] Write a page from the POV of a character who is not in the main group, which may take place near the main group or may be entirely unrelated. [b]Apparel:[/b] Write a page that reveals something important to the reader. [b]Battle Items:[/b] Write a page centering around the antagonist. [/quote]
Secrets Best Kept

The Verboten Guild had known relative peace since rising from the ashes of their battle against the robotic dragons led by a vengeful AI. But change was in the air, according to the scryers and mystics that acted as the Guild Master's council. She wanted to ignore it. She wished for nothing more than life to continue as it was, her fellow dragons prospering. The continent was still recovering from a string of major occurrences that left the population confused, scared, and seeking answers.

"Gaolers are spreading from the Fortress of Ends." The warning came.
"They're on the hunt, and nothing will stop them."

Rules will be coming from Pinkerton's Plundered Writing Prompt
Rules wrote:
Common Drops
Write a new page that moves the story forward, using the main characters already established.
Plants: At least some level of peace is established.
Insects: At least some level of unease is established.
Seafood: Take anything that happened from the previous page and turn it on its head.
Meat: Something influentially important happens.
Materials: Try to include the material, or at least write a page inspired by the material.
Trinkets: Either introduce a new character or write an analysis/navel-gazing/flashback of one of the existing ones.
Uncommon Drops
Familiars: Write a page from the POV of a character who is not in the main group, which may take place near the main group or may be entirely unrelated.
Apparel: Write a page that reveals something important to the reader.
Battle Items: Write a page centering around the antagonist.
Demesne, s before n || Avatar || Dragon Sales || CrimQuest || Coli Grinder

A cropped image of the Hall of Armor Scene. There is a long hall lined with sets of armor modeled after Coatl dragons on the left and Guardian dragons on the right. Sunlight streams in from windows on the left side.
[center][item=Berserker] [i]The antagonists.[i][/center] A hot wind rolled over the Scarred Wasteland. It was summer, the sun scorching the red ground below and all its inhabitants. Including the two hulking shapes slowly trudging along an old path. Varg let out an irritated growl as his head was jostled by the small Gaoler clambering down from her perch atop his thick horns. "Overseer Tien, please, just sit still." Tien let out a hissing growl as she threw herself down onto his back. "What dragon in their right mind would live out here? It's hot, the smell is [i]awful[/i], and the dust! [i]The dust![/i]" She let out an exasperated cry as she attempted to burrow into his mane, only to come back up coughing. "Nowhere is safe from it!" He shook out his mane and attempted to catch the eye of the Gaoler walking at his side. "Remind me, Seeker Ylva, why did we bring this petulant child again?" "That petulant child may come in handy. And Overseer-Warden Hertha insisted. I wasn't about to argue with her." Ylva managed to somehow slow despite their already lagging pace, raising her snout to breathe deep as another breeze washed over them. "Seeker Varg, do you smell that?" The scent was faint, but he found it all the same. "Shade-touched? I don't doubt Plaguebringer's domain is full of them, writhing under their disease ridden lands. But that's why we're here, to root out the source and contain it." He snarled loud at a tug on his mane, Tien pulling her way back up to his antlers to sniff out whatever they were finding. "Don't be too overzealous, Seeker Varg." Ylva almost grinned. "We're not doing a general sweep, we're looking for the worst of the enemy. Horrorbeasts." His eyes widened. "You can't mean- [i]you smell one?[/i] How close is it?" "Only a trace, but I'm certain one was near here. Perhaps a few days ago? A trace is all we need. Now, we hunt." ----- Nightfall arrived, the only light coming from the moon looming above. Ylva had managed to find an abandoned den for them to rest at. Her plan was to have the three of them sleep for only a few hours, then continue on tracking the Shade-touched she had caught wind of without the sun beating down on them. She placed herself at the mouth of the den, forcing Varg and Tien to curl up at the back. Tien had other plans. As soon as she was certain the larger dragons were asleep, she crawled across the dirt floor and crept over Ylva's tail as carefully as she could. Out in the open she kept a slow pace to stay quiet. She cast a glance back once she was several yards away, and felt her blood run cold. From the dark of the den opening she could see Ylva's white eyes watching her. The older Gaoler did not rise to follow her, or even opened her mouth to speak. She scampered away before her companion could possibly reconsider letting her go. Eventually her gallop slowed, her legs tired. The land was eerily quiet and empty, she realized. Far ahead of her was the looming tooth-like shapes that bordered the Wyrmwound, the soft orange glow of the disease-fill cauldron acting like a distant beacon. There was movement from a copse of odd looking trees, two dragons strolled into view from under the strange fleshy tendrils hanging above. The larger of the two appeared to be a male Guardian, his beard swaying as he trundled along. At his side was a dark Coatl. A single sniff in their direction let Tien know this was her chance. She took a few seconds to dig about in the dirt and made sure it stuck to her fur in patches. With a clenched jaw she then lifted a paw and raked her own claws against her cheek. With her appearance set she started off towards the two dragons. She exaggerated her gait, the steps uneven and slow. A whimper bubbled up in her throat. Of the duo, the Coatl was the first to hear her. His feathered crests lowered as he nudged the Guardian. "Ibi, look. A hatchling. Looks like a Tundra." Ibi turned his gaze on the creature that hobbled towards them. His eyes narrowed as he took in the thick fur and stunted horns. "A little odd for a Tundra." He murmured and then raised his voice. "Hello? Little one, are you alright?" His own steps were careful as he walked forward. "Where are your parents?" Tien sniffled and put her ears back at his approach. "I don't know. I can't find my mommy." She glanced between the two males, their eyes deep red. Plague. "C-can you help me find her?" "We'll certainly try." He took in their surroundings, but saw no other dragons. "How long have you been out here? Oh, your poor little face, who hurt you?" His large head lowered so that he was eye level with her. She raised a shaking paw to cradle her wounded cheek. "There was a monster. It was so scary, a-and I couldn't find my mommy and I miss her." Ibi rumbled low. "Well, you're being very brave right now. Why don't you climb on my back? I'll take you to my home and we'll have a healer take care of that cheek while my friends see if they can find your mother. She must be very worried about you." Tien nervously nodded. "Okay." She waited as the large dragon turned and lowered himself to the ground. Out of her periphery she noticed his left hind leg slip, the limb was adorned by rather dark scars. Once he was down she climbed onto his back with the help of the Coatl. Her eyes wandered the horizon as Ibi labouriously lifted into the air. Somewhere out there she knew Ylva was waiting. [i]All I need is a few days.[/i]
Berserker
The antagonists.

A hot wind rolled over the Scarred Wasteland. It was summer, the sun scorching the red ground below and all its inhabitants. Including the two hulking shapes slowly trudging along an old path.

Varg let out an irritated growl as his head was jostled by the small Gaoler clambering down from her perch atop his thick horns. "Overseer Tien, please, just sit still."

Tien let out a hissing growl as she threw herself down onto his back. "What dragon in their right mind would live out here? It's hot, the smell is awful, and the dust! The dust!" She let out an exasperated cry as she attempted to burrow into his mane, only to come back up coughing. "Nowhere is safe from it!"

He shook out his mane and attempted to catch the eye of the Gaoler walking at his side. "Remind me, Seeker Ylva, why did we bring this petulant child again?"

"That petulant child may come in handy. And Overseer-Warden Hertha insisted. I wasn't about to argue with her." Ylva managed to somehow slow despite their already lagging pace, raising her snout to breathe deep as another breeze washed over them. "Seeker Varg, do you smell that?"

The scent was faint, but he found it all the same. "Shade-touched? I don't doubt Plaguebringer's domain is full of them, writhing under their disease ridden lands. But that's why we're here, to root out the source and contain it." He snarled loud at a tug on his mane, Tien pulling her way back up to his antlers to sniff out whatever they were finding.

"Don't be too overzealous, Seeker Varg." Ylva almost grinned. "We're not doing a general sweep, we're looking for the worst of the enemy. Horrorbeasts."

His eyes widened. "You can't mean- you smell one? How close is it?"

"Only a trace, but I'm certain one was near here. Perhaps a few days ago? A trace is all we need. Now, we hunt."

Nightfall arrived, the only light coming from the moon looming above. Ylva had managed to find an abandoned den for them to rest at. Her plan was to have the three of them sleep for only a few hours, then continue on tracking the Shade-touched she had caught wind of without the sun beating down on them. She placed herself at the mouth of the den, forcing Varg and Tien to curl up at the back.

Tien had other plans. As soon as she was certain the larger dragons were asleep, she crawled across the dirt floor and crept over Ylva's tail as carefully as she could. Out in the open she kept a slow pace to stay quiet. She cast a glance back once she was several yards away, and felt her blood run cold. From the dark of the den opening she could see Ylva's white eyes watching her. The older Gaoler did not rise to follow her, or even opened her mouth to speak.

She scampered away before her companion could possibly reconsider letting her go. Eventually her gallop slowed, her legs tired. The land was eerily quiet and empty, she realized. Far ahead of her was the looming tooth-like shapes that bordered the Wyrmwound, the soft orange glow of the disease-fill cauldron acting like a distant beacon.

There was movement from a copse of odd looking trees, two dragons strolled into view from under the strange fleshy tendrils hanging above. The larger of the two appeared to be a male Guardian, his beard swaying as he trundled along. At his side was a dark Coatl.

A single sniff in their direction let Tien know this was her chance. She took a few seconds to dig about in the dirt and made sure it stuck to her fur in patches. With a clenched jaw she then lifted a paw and raked her own claws against her cheek. With her appearance set she started off towards the two dragons. She exaggerated her gait, the steps uneven and slow. A whimper bubbled up in her throat.

Of the duo, the Coatl was the first to hear her. His feathered crests lowered as he nudged the Guardian. "Ibi, look. A hatchling. Looks like a Tundra."

Ibi turned his gaze on the creature that hobbled towards them. His eyes narrowed as he took in the thick fur and stunted horns. "A little odd for a Tundra." He murmured and then raised his voice. "Hello? Little one, are you alright?" His own steps were careful as he walked forward. "Where are your parents?"

Tien sniffled and put her ears back at his approach. "I don't know. I can't find my mommy." She glanced between the two males, their eyes deep red. Plague. "C-can you help me find her?"

"We'll certainly try." He took in their surroundings, but saw no other dragons. "How long have you been out here? Oh, your poor little face, who hurt you?" His large head lowered so that he was eye level with her.

She raised a shaking paw to cradle her wounded cheek. "There was a monster. It was so scary, a-and I couldn't find my mommy and I miss her."

Ibi rumbled low. "Well, you're being very brave right now. Why don't you climb on my back? I'll take you to my home and we'll have a healer take care of that cheek while my friends see if they can find your mother. She must be very worried about you."

Tien nervously nodded. "Okay." She waited as the large dragon turned and lowered himself to the ground. Out of her periphery she noticed his left hind leg slip, the limb was adorned by rather dark scars. Once he was down she climbed onto his back with the help of the Coatl. Her eyes wandered the horizon as Ibi labouriously lifted into the air. Somewhere out there she knew Ylva was waiting.

All I need is a few days.

A cropped image of the Hall of Armor Scene. There is a long hall lined with sets of armor modeled after Coatl dragons on the left and Guardian dragons on the right. Sunlight streams in from windows on the left side.
[center][item=Monkey Wrench] [i]Not a main character.[/i][/center] Linen jolted awake at the sound of heavy doors opening. He stayed on his nest of cushions as he listened to the steps of a rather large dragon somewhere in the main hall beyond his den. The odd pattern of the steps suggest a limp. He got up from his comfortable position to pull himself towards the door to the rest of the building. His back end lagged slightly before finally slithering forward with him. Not having rear legs was a bit of an inconvenience sometimes. Peering out into the main hall his crimson eyes caught sight of Ibi lurching to the dais where the guild master sat. He fully moved out into the hall to listen. There was no point in hiding, not with the Slight Eyewing staring at him from the back of the guild master's large seat. "Ibi, my love, What's going on?" The Guardian at the head of the hall lowered her head as she watched the male approaching her. "Aleksandr and I found a hatchling wandering all alone near the Boneyard. She's very scared. I've already roused some of the guards to search for her mother, but I don't know when they'll manage to find her." Ibi sat in front of her, sliding onto his right hip to keep weight off of his bad leg. "A hatchling? The poor darling." Linen slithered a few feet closer, sticking to the edge of the hall. He was intrigued. It had been quite some time since the guild had taken in another hatchling, and usually such an occurrence was announced by the guild master's advisor. That Tundra was always stumbling into the lost and lonely it seemed. He whipped his horned head around as the hall doors opened a second time. A dark Tundra draped in starred silks stepped in and carefully skirted the edge of the room to stand by Linen. "What are you skulking around for?" He lifted his head up to be even taller than he already was compared to the fur coated dragon. "I could ask you the same thing, Seer. What do you want?" "I need to speak with Vix." The smaller dragon glanced at the two conversing Guardians. "How important is this meeting they're having?" "I don't know. The Elder just came in to say he found a hatchling out in the Boneyard. Where the child is right now I have no idea." Linen lowered his head again. The relationship he had with most others in the guild was strained, and this Tundra was no exception. "A hatchling? Gods, it's already started." He muttered as he left Linen's side to trot to the front of the hall. The silks he wore kept his fur from bouncing too much with each step. "Guild Master, Elder, I have something to tell you both!" "What is it, Keen?" The female Guardian and her Eyewing turned their gaze upon him. "That hatchling, they're no Tundra. It's happening, Vix." Linen moved closer again as their voices began to lower. He wanted to hear everything. "The Gaolers are all over Sorneith now. That hatchling is one of them. I'm absolutely certain, I've seen her in my scrying." The room grew cold and quiet as the gathered dragons looked at each other. Linen fidgeted uncomfortably from his position. He had traveled to many places and seen countless oddities in his strange life, but he had no clue as to what they were talking about. The serpentine dragon cleared his throat. "What are these jailers you're referring to?" Keen turned to look back at him. "Gaolers are an ancient breed, Icewarden created them before he created my kind. Shade hunters, wardens for his jails. And now they're scouring all of Sorneith. They have no knowledge of our customs, their very presence poses a danger to everyone. I doubt even your talent as a silvertongue would save you if you happen to spark their ire."
Monkey Wrench
Not a main character.

Linen jolted awake at the sound of heavy doors opening. He stayed on his nest of cushions as he listened to the steps of a rather large dragon somewhere in the main hall beyond his den. The odd pattern of the steps suggest a limp. He got up from his comfortable position to pull himself towards the door to the rest of the building. His back end lagged slightly before finally slithering forward with him. Not having rear legs was a bit of an inconvenience sometimes.

Peering out into the main hall his crimson eyes caught sight of Ibi lurching to the dais where the guild master sat. He fully moved out into the hall to listen. There was no point in hiding, not with the Slight Eyewing staring at him from the back of the guild master's large seat.

"Ibi, my love, What's going on?" The Guardian at the head of the hall lowered her head as she watched the male approaching her.

"Aleksandr and I found a hatchling wandering all alone near the Boneyard. She's very scared. I've already roused some of the guards to search for her mother, but I don't know when they'll manage to find her." Ibi sat in front of her, sliding onto his right hip to keep weight off of his bad leg.

"A hatchling? The poor darling."

Linen slithered a few feet closer, sticking to the edge of the hall. He was intrigued. It had been quite some time since the guild had taken in another hatchling, and usually such an occurrence was announced by the guild master's advisor. That Tundra was always stumbling into the lost and lonely it seemed. He whipped his horned head around as the hall doors opened a second time.

A dark Tundra draped in starred silks stepped in and carefully skirted the edge of the room to stand by Linen. "What are you skulking around for?"

He lifted his head up to be even taller than he already was compared to the fur coated dragon. "I could ask you the same thing, Seer. What do you want?"

"I need to speak with Vix." The smaller dragon glanced at the two conversing Guardians. "How important is this meeting they're having?"

"I don't know. The Elder just came in to say he found a hatchling out in the Boneyard. Where the child is right now I have no idea." Linen lowered his head again. The relationship he had with most others in the guild was strained, and this Tundra was no exception.

"A hatchling? Gods, it's already started." He muttered as he left Linen's side to trot to the front of the hall. The silks he wore kept his fur from bouncing too much with each step. "Guild Master, Elder, I have something to tell you both!"

"What is it, Keen?" The female Guardian and her Eyewing turned their gaze upon him.

"That hatchling, they're no Tundra. It's happening, Vix."

Linen moved closer again as their voices began to lower. He wanted to hear everything.

"The Gaolers are all over Sorneith now. That hatchling is one of them. I'm absolutely certain, I've seen her in my scrying."

The room grew cold and quiet as the gathered dragons looked at each other. Linen fidgeted uncomfortably from his position. He had traveled to many places and seen countless oddities in his strange life, but he had no clue as to what they were talking about. The serpentine dragon cleared his throat. "What are these jailers you're referring to?"

Keen turned to look back at him. "Gaolers are an ancient breed, Icewarden created them before he created my kind. Shade hunters, wardens for his jails. And now they're scouring all of Sorneith. They have no knowledge of our customs, their very presence poses a danger to everyone. I doubt even your talent as a silvertongue would save you if you happen to spark their ire."

[center][item=Ghost-Painted Fern] [i]Establish Peace[/i][/center] Vix barely slept after the news that Gaolers were coming. She was up before the sun rose and preoccupied herself with pacing up and down the main hall. Her unease was soon soothed though, as two Tundras strolled in through the front doors. "Mishka, Aysun, good morning." "Good morning, Guild Master." Aysun, the silver female, bowed her head. "We heard there's a hatchling here." She looked around, as though she expected to see a child running loose in the hall. "Yes, Ibi and Aleks found the poor dear all alone last night. She's still asleep." She looked back towards the door leading to her chambers. "They thought she was a Tundra, but... I fear the prophecy is far closer than we originally thought. Already Gaolers are in our lands." Mishka, the white male of the duo, seemed to almost bristle at her words. "Gaolers? And they brought a hatchling all this way? That seems very irresponsible. I trust we have people out looking for her parents?" "We do. I'm hoping that we can safely return her and be done with this entire Gaoler business, but Keen insisted things won't be that easy." "He's been wrong before." Vix met Mishka's pale eyes. "The last time he was wrong, we lost half our clan. We need to be prepared for anything. But first, I need to make sure that hatchling is fed." The door to the private chambers opened, Ibi shouldering his way through with Tien galloping along at his side. "Good morning everyone." Ibi rumbled. "Ah, little one, you can meet some of the other fluffly ones who live here. Tien, this is Mishka and his daughter Aysun. Mishka, Aysun, this is Tien." He urged the child forward with one large paw. "Hello. It's nice to meet you!" Tien chirped. She caught Mishka's eye as the Tundras said their own greetings, and a twinge of fear ran through her as he seemed to scrutinize her. Was someone already onto her? "Miss Vix, do you know if anyone has found my momma yet?" "I do not, but I'm sure you two will be reunited soon." Vix looked the hatchling over and finally noticed the various twigs and debris stuck in her tangled fur. "Aysun dear, do you happen to have a brush on you? I don't think we can let poor Tien go back to her mother in such a disheveled state." Aysun sat back on her haunches and dug into the pack at her side. "Yes, I always have one somewhere on me. Ah, here it is!" She briefly revealed the item. "What do you say, Tien? I can brush your fur while you have breakfast." "That sounds nice." Tien tilted her head with a little smile. Vix shifted anxiously. "Why don't the rest of you head over to the dining hall? I want to take a quick walk around the guild." Ibi nudged her cheek. "We'll see you there, my love." She watched the others file out of the hall until only her and Mishka remained. "You should go and eat something, old man." Mishka rolled his eyes at her. "I'm not that hungry just yet. Besides, I want to hear what's on your mind." He fell into step with her as they walked out into the morning sun. Before them laid the rest of the guild. The training yard already held a few of the early risers who were busy wrestling and practicing with their powers. A group of Ridgebacks milled about the guild's main entryway, Guardians and Imperials wandered the perimeter, and a few Snappers slowly walked towards another building meant for traders. For everyone else it was a normal start to their day. "Mother!" A small female Guardian nearly ran at the duo. Her bright robin hide was adorned in pink armour and jewelry, and a basket hung on her right side. "Good news! I ran into Alnair again last night, the Alaric Clan's gardener - I traded some of those old charms you wanted to toss out for some seeds." She turned to show off the basket. "Think I can convince Silvius to teach me how to grow these flowers?" Vix had been caught off guard by her daughter's arrival and at first couldn't think of how to respond to the barrage of excited chatter. "That's very good news, Sovari. I'm sure Silvius would be happy to help you. Wh-what are the flowers even for?" She raised a claw to keep her from running off. "For the guild, of course. Decoration?" Sovari grinned. "This place could use some sprucing up, now that we're really settled in. Make it feel like home." "It sounds like a pretty good plan to me." Mishka said with a slight smile of his own. "This place is pretty dull on the outside." Vix let out a sigh. "I suppose you two are right. We will need a good image if we're going to keep convincing traders that we're worth their time, won't we? Well, while this has my attention - Sovari, you are now in charge of the, uh... Verboten Beautification Project." "Wait, really?" The younger dragon's eyes widened. "You're serious?" "I rarely make jokes, my dear. I am the leader of this guild and my word is law. And I'm too busy to spend much time thinking about how to make the actual guild grounds look less barren. Such a project requires a creative mind like yours." "Thank you, mother." Sovari nuzzled the older Guardian's chin affectionately. "I promise I'll have this place looking better in no time!" Mishka looked up at Vix as Sovari trotted away. "She's turned into a fine dragon." "She has, hasn't she?" Vix rumbled sadly.
Ghost-Painted Fern
Establish Peace

Vix barely slept after the news that Gaolers were coming. She was up before the sun rose and preoccupied herself with pacing up and down the main hall. Her unease was soon soothed though, as two Tundras strolled in through the front doors. "Mishka, Aysun, good morning."

"Good morning, Guild Master." Aysun, the silver female, bowed her head. "We heard there's a hatchling here." She looked around, as though she expected to see a child running loose in the hall.

"Yes, Ibi and Aleks found the poor dear all alone last night. She's still asleep." She looked back towards the door leading to her chambers. "They thought she was a Tundra, but... I fear the prophecy is far closer than we originally thought. Already Gaolers are in our lands."

Mishka, the white male of the duo, seemed to almost bristle at her words. "Gaolers? And they brought a hatchling all this way? That seems very irresponsible. I trust we have people out looking for her parents?"

"We do. I'm hoping that we can safely return her and be done with this entire Gaoler business, but Keen insisted things won't be that easy."

"He's been wrong before."

Vix met Mishka's pale eyes. "The last time he was wrong, we lost half our clan. We need to be prepared for anything. But first, I need to make sure that hatchling is fed."

The door to the private chambers opened, Ibi shouldering his way through with Tien galloping along at his side. "Good morning everyone." Ibi rumbled. "Ah, little one, you can meet some of the other fluffly ones who live here. Tien, this is Mishka and his daughter Aysun. Mishka, Aysun, this is Tien." He urged the child forward with one large paw.

"Hello. It's nice to meet you!" Tien chirped. She caught Mishka's eye as the Tundras said their own greetings, and a twinge of fear ran through her as he seemed to scrutinize her. Was someone already onto her? "Miss Vix, do you know if anyone has found my momma yet?"

"I do not, but I'm sure you two will be reunited soon." Vix looked the hatchling over and finally noticed the various twigs and debris stuck in her tangled fur. "Aysun dear, do you happen to have a brush on you? I don't think we can let poor Tien go back to her mother in such a disheveled state."

Aysun sat back on her haunches and dug into the pack at her side. "Yes, I always have one somewhere on me. Ah, here it is!" She briefly revealed the item. "What do you say, Tien? I can brush your fur while you have breakfast."

"That sounds nice." Tien tilted her head with a little smile.

Vix shifted anxiously. "Why don't the rest of you head over to the dining hall? I want to take a quick walk around the guild."

Ibi nudged her cheek. "We'll see you there, my love."

She watched the others file out of the hall until only her and Mishka remained. "You should go and eat something, old man."

Mishka rolled his eyes at her. "I'm not that hungry just yet. Besides, I want to hear what's on your mind." He fell into step with her as they walked out into the morning sun.

Before them laid the rest of the guild. The training yard already held a few of the early risers who were busy wrestling and practicing with their powers. A group of Ridgebacks milled about the guild's main entryway, Guardians and Imperials wandered the perimeter, and a few Snappers slowly walked towards another building meant for traders. For everyone else it was a normal start to their day.

"Mother!" A small female Guardian nearly ran at the duo. Her bright robin hide was adorned in pink armour and jewelry, and a basket hung on her right side. "Good news! I ran into Alnair again last night, the Alaric Clan's gardener - I traded some of those old charms you wanted to toss out for some seeds." She turned to show off the basket. "Think I can convince Silvius to teach me how to grow these flowers?"

Vix had been caught off guard by her daughter's arrival and at first couldn't think of how to respond to the barrage of excited chatter. "That's very good news, Sovari. I'm sure Silvius would be happy to help you. Wh-what are the flowers even for?" She raised a claw to keep her from running off.

"For the guild, of course. Decoration?" Sovari grinned. "This place could use some sprucing up, now that we're really settled in. Make it feel like home."

"It sounds like a pretty good plan to me." Mishka said with a slight smile of his own. "This place is pretty dull on the outside."

Vix let out a sigh. "I suppose you two are right. We will need a good image if we're going to keep convincing traders that we're worth their time, won't we? Well, while this has my attention - Sovari, you are now in charge of the, uh... Verboten Beautification Project."

"Wait, really?" The younger dragon's eyes widened. "You're serious?"

"I rarely make jokes, my dear. I am the leader of this guild and my word is law. And I'm too busy to spend much time thinking about how to make the actual guild grounds look less barren. Such a project requires a creative mind like yours."

"Thank you, mother." Sovari nuzzled the older Guardian's chin affectionately. "I promise I'll have this place looking better in no time!"

Mishka looked up at Vix as Sovari trotted away. "She's turned into a fine dragon."

"She has, hasn't she?" Vix rumbled sadly.

[center][item=Fossilized Fish] [i]New Character[/i][/center] Tien was sent back to the main hall with Ibi after breakfast, while Vix continued her trek of the guild grounds. Most of the guild members acknowledged her as she passed them by. Her gaze drifted from dragon to dragon, building to building. But one face was missing from its usual place. She stepped into the Hall of Worship to search for her absent underling. The two red-eyed Spirals in charge of the hall hissed faint greetings from the far end. Their attention left her as quickly as it had focused, the duo returning to their meditations. She wandered down the center of the large room and then turned towards a door. A brief listen found only silence beyond. With a large paw she knocked as gently as she could. "Demesne?" "Come in." The voice beyond was muffled and faint. Vix pushed her way inside. The walls of the room held various tapestries depicting The Eleven, The Shade, and a single creature that had no distinguishable shape aside from a masked face. Cushions rested on the floor around a small table. Sitting at the table and facing the door was a white and blue Tundra. Their normally bright eyes were rather dull as they looked upon the guild master. "Matriarch, how can I be of service?" She perched herself on one of the larger cushions and brought her head down to be near eye level with them. "You're usually out and about at this time of day. You look unwell, Consul." "I fear I feel unwell." They chuckled briefly, though the action seemed to pain them. "I would have gone to see Silvius or Tzaphqiel by now, but just getting out of bed was difficult. I don't know if I have it in me to walk to the clinic." They paused as they sifted through their thoughts. "Doesn't help that I didn't sleep well last night. Keen came to me, he said we have a Gaoler among us." "Yes. Just a child, for now. Seems she was separated from her mother when something attacked them." Vix frowned as the Tundra shuddered faintly. She moved back to the door and peeked her head out into the quiet hall. "Priest Ycnitli, could you fetch a healer for me?" The female Spiral uncoiled. "Of course, my Guild Master." She retreated back into the room. "How close do you think we are to the coming danger?" Demesne ducked their head to root around in a chest they had near the table. They came back up with a strange mirror which they laid flat. The surface shifted in an array of dark colours and odd shapes as they stared into it. "Close. Closer than we had hoped. The Stranger has been silent as of late, that should have been my first warning." Vix let out a bitter sigh. "They never do offer good advice when we need them most." "No, I suppose not... Do you want to know what they last showed me? Their final message for this coming event in our lives. I'm not sure you'll like it, but..." She leered over the table. "Tell me." Demesne met her eyes. "You were perched atop a mountain, encased in ice. Gaolers were your only company." "Imprisoned?" She held back a snarl. The Tundra was not to blame. "What wrong could I have done to deserve that?" "It's not something you might have done. Gaolers hunt the Shade and those affected by it. Norven could be in danger too. Who knows just how many of the guild have unknowingly had a brush with it." They recoiled slightly as the Guardian growled. "The visions aren't the future though. Just a prediction, and we all know how fickle such things are. I can't even recall the last time The Stranger was correct about the guild's fate." Vix bit her tongue to hold back a comment about how forgetful Tundras were in general. "Very true. We'll have to wait and see, won't we?" She looked towards the door as she heard a voice outside. It opened, and an Imperial slipped his head inside. "Guild Master, Consul. You asked for a healer?" "Thank you for coming so quickly, Silvius. Demesne isn't feeling well." She moved aside to give him room. "It's been a long time since you've been under the weather." Silvius rumbled as he maneuvered his long body into the room. Demesne gave Vix a thankful look. "Yes, well, I'm sure sickness is to be expected here in the lands under Plaguebringer." Vix stretched her head upward to relieve the stiffness in her neck. "You'll be fine, my furry friend. Speaking of fur, I need to head back and make sure that hatchling isn't giving my mate the run around."
Fossilized Fish
New Character

Tien was sent back to the main hall with Ibi after breakfast, while Vix continued her trek of the guild grounds. Most of the guild members acknowledged her as she passed them by. Her gaze drifted from dragon to dragon, building to building. But one face was missing from its usual place. She stepped into the Hall of Worship to search for her absent underling.

The two red-eyed Spirals in charge of the hall hissed faint greetings from the far end. Their attention left her as quickly as it had focused, the duo returning to their meditations.

She wandered down the center of the large room and then turned towards a door. A brief listen found only silence beyond. With a large paw she knocked as gently as she could. "Demesne?"

"Come in." The voice beyond was muffled and faint.

Vix pushed her way inside. The walls of the room held various tapestries depicting The Eleven, The Shade, and a single creature that had no distinguishable shape aside from a masked face. Cushions rested on the floor around a small table. Sitting at the table and facing the door was a white and blue Tundra.

Their normally bright eyes were rather dull as they looked upon the guild master. "Matriarch, how can I be of service?"

She perched herself on one of the larger cushions and brought her head down to be near eye level with them. "You're usually out and about at this time of day. You look unwell, Consul."

"I fear I feel unwell." They chuckled briefly, though the action seemed to pain them. "I would have gone to see Silvius or Tzaphqiel by now, but just getting out of bed was difficult. I don't know if I have it in me to walk to the clinic." They paused as they sifted through their thoughts. "Doesn't help that I didn't sleep well last night. Keen came to me, he said we have a Gaoler among us."

"Yes. Just a child, for now. Seems she was separated from her mother when something attacked them." Vix frowned as the Tundra shuddered faintly. She moved back to the door and peeked her head out into the quiet hall. "Priest Ycnitli, could you fetch a healer for me?"

The female Spiral uncoiled. "Of course, my Guild Master."

She retreated back into the room. "How close do you think we are to the coming danger?"

Demesne ducked their head to root around in a chest they had near the table. They came back up with a strange mirror which they laid flat. The surface shifted in an array of dark colours and odd shapes as they stared into it. "Close. Closer than we had hoped. The Stranger has been silent as of late, that should have been my first warning."

Vix let out a bitter sigh. "They never do offer good advice when we need them most."

"No, I suppose not... Do you want to know what they last showed me? Their final message for this coming event in our lives. I'm not sure you'll like it, but..."

She leered over the table. "Tell me."

Demesne met her eyes. "You were perched atop a mountain, encased in ice. Gaolers were your only company."

"Imprisoned?" She held back a snarl. The Tundra was not to blame. "What wrong could I have done to deserve that?"

"It's not something you might have done. Gaolers hunt the Shade and those affected by it. Norven could be in danger too. Who knows just how many of the guild have unknowingly had a brush with it." They recoiled slightly as the Guardian growled. "The visions aren't the future though. Just a prediction, and we all know how fickle such things are. I can't even recall the last time The Stranger was correct about the guild's fate."

Vix bit her tongue to hold back a comment about how forgetful Tundras were in general. "Very true. We'll have to wait and see, won't we?" She looked towards the door as she heard a voice outside.

It opened, and an Imperial slipped his head inside. "Guild Master, Consul. You asked for a healer?"

"Thank you for coming so quickly, Silvius. Demesne isn't feeling well." She moved aside to give him room.

"It's been a long time since you've been under the weather." Silvius rumbled as he maneuvered his long body into the room.

Demesne gave Vix a thankful look. "Yes, well, I'm sure sickness is to be expected here in the lands under Plaguebringer."

Vix stretched her head upward to relieve the stiffness in her neck. "You'll be fine, my furry friend. Speaking of fur, I need to head back and make sure that hatchling isn't giving my mate the run around."

[center][item=Ferret] [i]Something important happens.[/i][/center] Tien was amusing herself with a few dolls when the doors to the main hall opened and daylight poured in. She stared at the Imperial strolling towards the dais, flanked by two Wildclaws. Her mind was a little boggled by all the new sights she was experiencing just within the guild. She had never seen such dragons before. The trio bowed their heads as they finally stopped. "Captain Svetlana, report." Vix sat up straight before them. One Wildclaw stepped forward, her head adorned with strange crystalline growths. "We found several different Gaolers, but none claimed to be missing a hatchling. Not even other dragons we encountered seemed to be looking for a child." She frowned and looked to the smaller Guardian reclining near the dais. "Sovari dear, maybe Tien could help you pick some flowers to grow in front of the hall?" "Hmm?" Sovari was briefly confused, but caught on with a stern expression from her mother. "Yes, of course. Come along Tien. Do you like flowers?" Tien bit back a growl at being addressed. She reluctantly got up from where she had been pretending to play and trotted to follow Sovari. "What's a flower?" Vix waited until the two were out of sight before returning her attention to the guards. "What about any dead?" "A few. Most were relatively decomposed, but a couple of them were more recently taken down either by the larger wildlife or clans who didn't appreciate their presence. One of them was a darker female." Svetlana took another step forward. "We can keep looking, but I fear the worst." "As do I." She breathed deep. "We have to keep trying though, for her sake. I trust you can find a few others to continue the search while you three rest. At dusk you should have Balthazar and Vex go, they're our best trackers." "As you command, Guild Master." ----- Ibi wandered to the guild library as the afternoon wore on, Tien at his side. He let out a gentle sigh of relief as they entered the modest building. "Take a look around, little one. We have some stories for children along the lower shelves in here. I need to do some work, but I won't be far if you need me." "Okay Mister Ibi." Tien forced a smile and started to look at the nearest shelf. As soon as he was gone her expression fell into something far more neutral, and she walked further into the structure. Her eyes raked the higher shelves, but nothing caught her attention. Then she spotted a door, [i]Guild Records[/i] carved into a metal plate on it. With some effort she managed to push it open and slip inside. The room was dry and somewhat cool, the walls lined with various shelves of papers and journals. Tien clambered up onto a table near the center of the room to try and get a better look at the items sitting on the upper shelves. She spent nearly an hour rifling through the lower shelves and glancing over various documents. The search for information left her relatively disappointed though, as she found no mention of The Shade or Horrorbeasts. She tossed the latest file aside, knocking a pile of them over in the process. "No no no!" She hissed as she chased after the scattering papers. Among the mess she spotted a strange drawing which she plucked from the floor. She wasn't sure what to make of it at first. The pen marks had been furtive, scratched with a shaking paw. Whoever had made the image must have been in a panic of some sort. The actual drawing was strange, foreign. It took Tien a moment to realize it was meant to be a Guardian. They looked wrong though, their limbs too long, their wings stretched and bending in a strange way. Tien stared long and hard at the odd creature. Then finally she spotted the familiar mask. [i]Vix?[/i] "Little one?" Came the call from Ibi somewhere outside the room. She folded the drawing and clamped it under one of her wings to hide it, then frantically shuffled all the papers back together to shove them back on the shelf. Once it was mostly back in order she pressed an ear against the door to listen. Ibi's heavy steps passed by and into another room. She slipped out and ran back towards the first room where she had been left alone, snatched a random book off a low shelf, and threw herself down in a corner. Ibi was anxious as he walked back around to the entryway. He was confused as he spotted the small Gaoler curled up near a book. Had he simply missed her the first time? "Tien. Tien, wake up." He nudged her gently. "It's time to go back."
Ferret
Something important happens.

Tien was amusing herself with a few dolls when the doors to the main hall opened and daylight poured in. She stared at the Imperial strolling towards the dais, flanked by two Wildclaws. Her mind was a little boggled by all the new sights she was experiencing just within the guild. She had never seen such dragons before.

The trio bowed their heads as they finally stopped.

"Captain Svetlana, report." Vix sat up straight before them.

One Wildclaw stepped forward, her head adorned with strange crystalline growths. "We found several different Gaolers, but none claimed to be missing a hatchling. Not even other dragons we encountered seemed to be looking for a child."

She frowned and looked to the smaller Guardian reclining near the dais. "Sovari dear, maybe Tien could help you pick some flowers to grow in front of the hall?"

"Hmm?" Sovari was briefly confused, but caught on with a stern expression from her mother. "Yes, of course. Come along Tien. Do you like flowers?"

Tien bit back a growl at being addressed. She reluctantly got up from where she had been pretending to play and trotted to follow Sovari. "What's a flower?"

Vix waited until the two were out of sight before returning her attention to the guards. "What about any dead?"

"A few. Most were relatively decomposed, but a couple of them were more recently taken down either by the larger wildlife or clans who didn't appreciate their presence. One of them was a darker female." Svetlana took another step forward. "We can keep looking, but I fear the worst."

"As do I." She breathed deep. "We have to keep trying though, for her sake. I trust you can find a few others to continue the search while you three rest. At dusk you should have Balthazar and Vex go, they're our best trackers."

"As you command, Guild Master."

Ibi wandered to the guild library as the afternoon wore on, Tien at his side. He let out a gentle sigh of relief as they entered the modest building. "Take a look around, little one. We have some stories for children along the lower shelves in here. I need to do some work, but I won't be far if you need me."

"Okay Mister Ibi." Tien forced a smile and started to look at the nearest shelf. As soon as he was gone her expression fell into something far more neutral, and she walked further into the structure. Her eyes raked the higher shelves, but nothing caught her attention. Then she spotted a door, Guild Records carved into a metal plate on it. With some effort she managed to push it open and slip inside.

The room was dry and somewhat cool, the walls lined with various shelves of papers and journals. Tien clambered up onto a table near the center of the room to try and get a better look at the items sitting on the upper shelves. She spent nearly an hour rifling through the lower shelves and glancing over various documents. The search for information left her relatively disappointed though, as she found no mention of The Shade or Horrorbeasts. She tossed the latest file aside, knocking a pile of them over in the process.

"No no no!" She hissed as she chased after the scattering papers. Among the mess she spotted a strange drawing which she plucked from the floor. She wasn't sure what to make of it at first. The pen marks had been furtive, scratched with a shaking paw. Whoever had made the image must have been in a panic of some sort. The actual drawing was strange, foreign. It took Tien a moment to realize it was meant to be a Guardian. They looked wrong though, their limbs too long, their wings stretched and bending in a strange way.

Tien stared long and hard at the odd creature. Then finally she spotted the familiar mask. Vix?

"Little one?" Came the call from Ibi somewhere outside the room.

She folded the drawing and clamped it under one of her wings to hide it, then frantically shuffled all the papers back together to shove them back on the shelf. Once it was mostly back in order she pressed an ear against the door to listen. Ibi's heavy steps passed by and into another room. She slipped out and ran back towards the first room where she had been left alone, snatched a random book off a low shelf, and threw herself down in a corner.

Ibi was anxious as he walked back around to the entryway. He was confused as he spotted the small Gaoler curled up near a book. Had he simply missed her the first time? "Tien. Tien, wake up." He nudged her gently. "It's time to go back."

[center][item=Small Legbones] [i]Include the material.[/i][/center] Tien kept her wings pressed against her side the entire walk back to the main hall. Part of her was nervous. She had nowhere else to hide the drawing, and the chances of it slipping out were only going to grow the longer her stunted limb struggled to keep it in place. The main hall held several new faces as Ibi shouldered the door open. "Ah, Shiva, you're back." He rumbled as he spotted two Bogsneaks among those gathered. "How was your trip?" The lavender winged dragon smiled wide. "It was a lot of fun! But I'm really glad to be back home. How are you, father?" Her gaze snapped to the furry hatchling bumbling at his side. "Oh, hello there! You must be Tien." She slid behind one of Ibi's front legs and peered out at the strangers. "H-hello." "There's no need to be shy." Ibi chuckled. "This is Shiva, our daughter. And the fine fellow behind her is Was." "Was?" Tien tilted her head. "That's a funny name." Shiva nudged Was with her tail. "It's a very funny name. Have my parents been treating you well?" "Yes. They're very nice." She shuffled back out into the open. "You don't look like them." Her eyes brightened as she laughed. "Because I'm not a Guardian. I'm a Bogsneak. They took me in and raised me when they found my egg." "You mean you don't know your momma?" Tien faked surprise. "Well, I guess technically I don't. But I love my parents very much. I'm happy here with what I have." She paused to look around the hall. "Father, where is Sovari? We received a message from her yesterday asking us to gather some bones for her on our way home." "Bones?" Ibi recoiled slightly. "I can't imagine what your sister is planning that requires [i]bones[/i]. When I last saw her she was outside with little Tien here, but I don't know where she wandered after that." "It's for the flower beds, dear." Vix had wandered down from the dais. She briefly bent her head down to nuzzle Shiva's cheek. "She's been very excited about it. Seems she's been planning it behind our backs for a while now, she just didn't get the seeds until early this morning. I'm sure she'll be back soon thought, she was just going to see Kiri about wood for the flower beds." Tien slipped away from the conversing adults to gather up the dolls she had been preoccupied with earlier. She snatched up one of them and scampered to hide herself partially behind a wooden beam that braced the roof of the hall. The sackdoll in the vague visage of Icewarden had a small hole in it, which she opened a little further with one claw. She then carefully slipped the folded drawing from under her wing and folded further, and then pushed it into the doll. Her attention was drawn back to the hall at the sound of bones clattering to the floor. Was let out an exasperated sigh as she started pawing them into a pile. "I knew that bag was too flimsy for this." He muttered. "I promise I'll clean this mess up." "It's quite alright my boy." Vix brought her tail around to help scoop them closer. "I'm sure Sovari is going to make a mess once she gets her claws on these. We're going to be sneezing from bone dust for days. Poor Ibi will be grooming it out of his beard." She added with a laugh. The small Gaoler watched the family curiously from her quiet corner of the hall. Everything that she had seen was so new to her. [i]Is this how all dragons are?[/i] They all seemed happy, content. And yet she could smell something Shade-touched among them. It was proving hard to locate, but she was so sure something was there. How could they all be so calm, jovial even, when there was a monster hiding among them? Her thoughts drifted back to the drawing she was now hiding. While she was uncertain as to what it meant, she was sure she could track down whoever had made it. But that would have to be done once all attention was off of her.
Small Legbones
Include the material.

Tien kept her wings pressed against her side the entire walk back to the main hall. Part of her was nervous. She had nowhere else to hide the drawing, and the chances of it slipping out were only going to grow the longer her stunted limb struggled to keep it in place.

The main hall held several new faces as Ibi shouldered the door open. "Ah, Shiva, you're back." He rumbled as he spotted two Bogsneaks among those gathered. "How was your trip?"

The lavender winged dragon smiled wide. "It was a lot of fun! But I'm really glad to be back home. How are you, father?" Her gaze snapped to the furry hatchling bumbling at his side. "Oh, hello there! You must be Tien."

She slid behind one of Ibi's front legs and peered out at the strangers. "H-hello."

"There's no need to be shy." Ibi chuckled. "This is Shiva, our daughter. And the fine fellow behind her is Was."

"Was?" Tien tilted her head. "That's a funny name."

Shiva nudged Was with her tail. "It's a very funny name. Have my parents been treating you well?"

"Yes. They're very nice." She shuffled back out into the open. "You don't look like them."

Her eyes brightened as she laughed. "Because I'm not a Guardian. I'm a Bogsneak. They took me in and raised me when they found my egg."

"You mean you don't know your momma?" Tien faked surprise.

"Well, I guess technically I don't. But I love my parents very much. I'm happy here with what I have." She paused to look around the hall. "Father, where is Sovari? We received a message from her yesterday asking us to gather some bones for her on our way home."

"Bones?" Ibi recoiled slightly. "I can't imagine what your sister is planning that requires bones. When I last saw her she was outside with little Tien here, but I don't know where she wandered after that."

"It's for the flower beds, dear." Vix had wandered down from the dais. She briefly bent her head down to nuzzle Shiva's cheek. "She's been very excited about it. Seems she's been planning it behind our backs for a while now, she just didn't get the seeds until early this morning. I'm sure she'll be back soon thought, she was just going to see Kiri about wood for the flower beds."

Tien slipped away from the conversing adults to gather up the dolls she had been preoccupied with earlier. She snatched up one of them and scampered to hide herself partially behind a wooden beam that braced the roof of the hall. The sackdoll in the vague visage of Icewarden had a small hole in it, which she opened a little further with one claw. She then carefully slipped the folded drawing from under her wing and folded further, and then pushed it into the doll. Her attention was drawn back to the hall at the sound of bones clattering to the floor.

Was let out an exasperated sigh as she started pawing them into a pile. "I knew that bag was too flimsy for this." He muttered. "I promise I'll clean this mess up."

"It's quite alright my boy." Vix brought her tail around to help scoop them closer. "I'm sure Sovari is going to make a mess once she gets her claws on these. We're going to be sneezing from bone dust for days. Poor Ibi will be grooming it out of his beard." She added with a laugh.

The small Gaoler watched the family curiously from her quiet corner of the hall. Everything that she had seen was so new to her. Is this how all dragons are? They all seemed happy, content. And yet she could smell something Shade-touched among them. It was proving hard to locate, but she was so sure something was there. How could they all be so calm, jovial even, when there was a monster hiding among them? Her thoughts drifted back to the drawing she was now hiding. While she was uncertain as to what it meant, she was sure she could track down whoever had made it. But that would have to be done once all attention was off of her.