Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Warmer Horizons: Pinkerlocke Lore Thread
Hey there! This is the lore thread for my pinkerlocke, the character list, graveyard, drops and such can be found there.
---Intro---
A white and red pearlcatcher huddles around her pearl, a small grey nocturne curled at her side. It's so cold. It's always cold in the Frigid Floes. The clan leaders, despite being wind dragons, have some meat on their tiny bones, so they can stand the cold. Most of the others can also tolerate the biting cold for that same reason, or they aren't around long enough to be really bothered by the weather; either that or they're ice dragons themselves. Even the lankiest dragons will never get cold if the frost courses through their veins. None of these things is the case for Zuelim and Tedo.

Zuelim, the pearlcatcher, looks like she'd be right at home in an ice clan, what with her pale white scales; but she is, in fact, an arcane dragon. She always hopes for a warmer winter. Each winter feels harsher than the last, and the summers don't exactly provide much respite either.
The only saving grace for Tedo, the scrawny nocturne, is how energetic she is. It's much harder to freeze when you're constantly on the move. But even she is rendered groggy as all hell by this particular cold snap. Zuelim wonders how they can ever have a proper life here when they are reduced to a huddling mass of dragons whenever it gets a little colder than usual.

Zuelim has spent some time considering this thought when a shining ridgeback approaches the huddled duo, somehow walking daintily despite her size. Despite her attempts at appearing graceful, she can't hide a certain stiffness in her posture. She gently takes her place next to the smaller dragons (who are very quick to snuggle into her), extending a transparent wing over them like a blanket.
'Certainly is a cold day today, isn't it girls?'
Tedo grumbles in response to this.
'Ves, it's always cold!'
Vesarie rumbles with acknowledgement.
'Well, yes, but there's not really a whole lot that can be done about it, is there? Can't really tell the Icewarden to calm down, after all.'
'I would if I could!'
Meanwhile, Zuelim is still thinking about what Vesarie said before the Icewarden thing.

'...If we can't change the cold, why don't we just... go somewhere it isn't cold?'
Vesarie and Tedo just look at her in shock.
'... Zuelim, surely you can't be serious?'
'Yeah, we'd die out there alone, Zu!'
Zuelim looks at the two incredulous dragons, resolve in her pink eyes.
'I'm dead serious. I know it'd be risky, but come on, we aren't exactly doing anything with our lives here! It's too cold for us to leave the lair half the time!'
Tedo clicks thoughtfully.
'...huh. Sorry Ves, Zu does have a point.'
Vesarie huffs, a cloud of steam forming in the air as she does so.
'But at least we'll survive here! There's enough food, and plenty of safety.'
Tedo pokes her head out from Vesarie's wing solely to glare at her with full eye contact.
'Yeah, that food and safety will do us so much good when we die of frostbite!'
Vesarie growls at the much smaller dragon, and Tedo growls back. The growling match continues until Zuelim flops a wing over Tedo.

'Vesarie, I understand you have misgivings about the idea. You don't have to follow through with it yourself. But I know I can't stay here forever. I don't want to spend my life freezing my tail off.'
Tedo peeks out from under Zuelim's wing, chirping affectionately.
'I'll come with you, Zu! I'd love to go someplace warm!'
Vesarie looks down at the two, torn.
'...I'll come too, I suppose. You'll need a bigger dragon on your side...'
Zuelim smiles up at her, tightening her winghold on Tedo.
'Thank you. There's definitely safety in numbers.'
'Don't mention it... when do we leave?'
Zuelim ponders this for a moment.
'Tonight.'
Tedo wriggles free of both Zuelim's and Vesarie's wings, and starts running around excitedly, before seeing the other two stifling laughs at her antics, and sitting down in a very dignified manner.
--
The trio leaves in the dead of the night. They don't want any iceborn dragons trying to tell them the cold isn't so bad. Soon, they approach the clan's border... but a glimmering shadow flying as silently as the night itself lands in front of them, her pale green gems shining in the moonlight, her white eyes staring coldly at the three. Tedo nudges Zuelim to the front, and the pale pearlcatcher addresses the skydancer.

'Aurora.'
'It's rather late for you three to be out, isn't it? And so far from the border, too...'
The jet-black skydancer draws closer.
'One might almost think you were trying to run away.'
Tedo speaks up this time.
'What, is there a rule against leaving?'
Aurora chirps thoughtfully.
'Well, no... but I just can't see why you'd want to leave. The world is a cruel place for clanless dragons... and the ice is a wonderful guardian.'
Zuelim stands tall, trying not to show her fear.
'The ice might be good for those who can shake off the cold. But it's the only thing holding us back.'

Aurora does not like that. Her beautiful face twists into a scowl.
'Hrmph. Very well then.'
She shoves past the three dragons, and Vesarie swears she hears her muttering something under her breath. A chill washes over the trio. She roars.
'What did you just do to us?!'
Aurora looks coldly back as she spreads her wings, ready to take flight.
'Now, now, Vesarie. Just because I'm a witch doesn't mean I curse everyone who disagrees with me.'
With that, she takes flight, and she's gone as quickly as she came. The group says nothing for a few seconds. Tedo breaks the silence.
'She definitely cursed us, didn't she?'
--
Back in the lair the next day, Aurora hums as she sorts through bundles of herbs delivered to her by a rather scrawny fae.
'Hey, have you seen Tedo today? Usually you can't ignore her, but today she hasn't stirred...'
Aurora laughs a chirpy laugh.
'Oh, Lavare, she left last night along with Zuelim and Vesarie. But don't you worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon...'
Lavare frowns.
'Aurora, what did you do to them?'
Aurora flares her crest and widens her eyes innocently.
'I didn't do anything to them! I simply made it so that any children they have will be filled with ice magic.'

'Why would you even bother doing that?'
'You're an ice dragon, Lavare, just like me. You know from visiting your brother over in the Viridian Labyrinth how much even the heat can disturb you. Those three are headed for warmer pastures. If their children can't be comfortable in their new home, then how can they justify keeping them there?'
Lavare's frills twitch with an emotion Aurora can't read, and she goes back to humming as she works. As Lavare turns to leave, she speaks up again.
'Oh, and Lavare?'
'Yes?
'Your father is busy tending his nest, isn't he?'
'As far as I know...'
'Don't tell him what I've told you. We both know he doesn't like it when I curse people.'
Lavare doesn't mention that he doesn't like when she curses people either, not wanting to anger the dragon who likes to throw curses around.
'Got it.'
He flutters out of her lab (he thinks that's the right word, she does make potions in there), and she stows away the bundles of herbs exactly where they belong.
Pinglist:
None yet
Hey there! This is the lore thread for my pinkerlocke, the character list, graveyard, drops and such can be found there.
---Intro---
A white and red pearlcatcher huddles around her pearl, a small grey nocturne curled at her side. It's so cold. It's always cold in the Frigid Floes. The clan leaders, despite being wind dragons, have some meat on their tiny bones, so they can stand the cold. Most of the others can also tolerate the biting cold for that same reason, or they aren't around long enough to be really bothered by the weather; either that or they're ice dragons themselves. Even the lankiest dragons will never get cold if the frost courses through their veins. None of these things is the case for Zuelim and Tedo.

Zuelim, the pearlcatcher, looks like she'd be right at home in an ice clan, what with her pale white scales; but she is, in fact, an arcane dragon. She always hopes for a warmer winter. Each winter feels harsher than the last, and the summers don't exactly provide much respite either.
The only saving grace for Tedo, the scrawny nocturne, is how energetic she is. It's much harder to freeze when you're constantly on the move. But even she is rendered groggy as all hell by this particular cold snap. Zuelim wonders how they can ever have a proper life here when they are reduced to a huddling mass of dragons whenever it gets a little colder than usual.

Zuelim has spent some time considering this thought when a shining ridgeback approaches the huddled duo, somehow walking daintily despite her size. Despite her attempts at appearing graceful, she can't hide a certain stiffness in her posture. She gently takes her place next to the smaller dragons (who are very quick to snuggle into her), extending a transparent wing over them like a blanket.
'Certainly is a cold day today, isn't it girls?'
Tedo grumbles in response to this.
'Ves, it's always cold!'
Vesarie rumbles with acknowledgement.
'Well, yes, but there's not really a whole lot that can be done about it, is there? Can't really tell the Icewarden to calm down, after all.'
'I would if I could!'
Meanwhile, Zuelim is still thinking about what Vesarie said before the Icewarden thing.

'...If we can't change the cold, why don't we just... go somewhere it isn't cold?'
Vesarie and Tedo just look at her in shock.
'... Zuelim, surely you can't be serious?'
'Yeah, we'd die out there alone, Zu!'
Zuelim looks at the two incredulous dragons, resolve in her pink eyes.
'I'm dead serious. I know it'd be risky, but come on, we aren't exactly doing anything with our lives here! It's too cold for us to leave the lair half the time!'
Tedo clicks thoughtfully.
'...huh. Sorry Ves, Zu does have a point.'
Vesarie huffs, a cloud of steam forming in the air as she does so.
'But at least we'll survive here! There's enough food, and plenty of safety.'
Tedo pokes her head out from Vesarie's wing solely to glare at her with full eye contact.
'Yeah, that food and safety will do us so much good when we die of frostbite!'
Vesarie growls at the much smaller dragon, and Tedo growls back. The growling match continues until Zuelim flops a wing over Tedo.

'Vesarie, I understand you have misgivings about the idea. You don't have to follow through with it yourself. But I know I can't stay here forever. I don't want to spend my life freezing my tail off.'
Tedo peeks out from under Zuelim's wing, chirping affectionately.
'I'll come with you, Zu! I'd love to go someplace warm!'
Vesarie looks down at the two, torn.
'...I'll come too, I suppose. You'll need a bigger dragon on your side...'
Zuelim smiles up at her, tightening her winghold on Tedo.
'Thank you. There's definitely safety in numbers.'
'Don't mention it... when do we leave?'
Zuelim ponders this for a moment.
'Tonight.'
Tedo wriggles free of both Zuelim's and Vesarie's wings, and starts running around excitedly, before seeing the other two stifling laughs at her antics, and sitting down in a very dignified manner.
--
The trio leaves in the dead of the night. They don't want any iceborn dragons trying to tell them the cold isn't so bad. Soon, they approach the clan's border... but a glimmering shadow flying as silently as the night itself lands in front of them, her pale green gems shining in the moonlight, her white eyes staring coldly at the three. Tedo nudges Zuelim to the front, and the pale pearlcatcher addresses the skydancer.

'Aurora.'
'It's rather late for you three to be out, isn't it? And so far from the border, too...'
The jet-black skydancer draws closer.
'One might almost think you were trying to run away.'
Tedo speaks up this time.
'What, is there a rule against leaving?'
Aurora chirps thoughtfully.
'Well, no... but I just can't see why you'd want to leave. The world is a cruel place for clanless dragons... and the ice is a wonderful guardian.'
Zuelim stands tall, trying not to show her fear.
'The ice might be good for those who can shake off the cold. But it's the only thing holding us back.'

Aurora does not like that. Her beautiful face twists into a scowl.
'Hrmph. Very well then.'
She shoves past the three dragons, and Vesarie swears she hears her muttering something under her breath. A chill washes over the trio. She roars.
'What did you just do to us?!'
Aurora looks coldly back as she spreads her wings, ready to take flight.
'Now, now, Vesarie. Just because I'm a witch doesn't mean I curse everyone who disagrees with me.'
With that, she takes flight, and she's gone as quickly as she came. The group says nothing for a few seconds. Tedo breaks the silence.
'She definitely cursed us, didn't she?'
--
Back in the lair the next day, Aurora hums as she sorts through bundles of herbs delivered to her by a rather scrawny fae.
'Hey, have you seen Tedo today? Usually you can't ignore her, but today she hasn't stirred...'
Aurora laughs a chirpy laugh.
'Oh, Lavare, she left last night along with Zuelim and Vesarie. But don't you worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon...'
Lavare frowns.
'Aurora, what did you do to them?'
Aurora flares her crest and widens her eyes innocently.
'I didn't do anything to them! I simply made it so that any children they have will be filled with ice magic.'

'Why would you even bother doing that?'
'You're an ice dragon, Lavare, just like me. You know from visiting your brother over in the Viridian Labyrinth how much even the heat can disturb you. Those three are headed for warmer pastures. If their children can't be comfortable in their new home, then how can they justify keeping them there?'
Lavare's frills twitch with an emotion Aurora can't read, and she goes back to humming as she works. As Lavare turns to leave, she speaks up again.
'Oh, and Lavare?'
'Yes?
'Your father is busy tending his nest, isn't he?'
'As far as I know...'
'Don't tell him what I've told you. We both know he doesn't like it when I curse people.'
Lavare doesn't mention that he doesn't like when she curses people either, not wanting to anger the dragon who likes to throw curses around.
'Got it.'
He flutters out of her lab (he thinks that's the right word, she does make potions in there), and she stows away the bundles of herbs exactly where they belong.
Pinglist:
None yet
fMy4Ig7.png
Day 1
The trio eventually makes it out of Ice territory, finding themselves somewhere in the Starfall Isles; setting up camp in what appeared, at first glance, to be a peaceful clearing. The adventurers were not left to settle calmly for long, annoying, hostile creatures soon came to investigate. Vesarie's size, Tedo's boisterousness, and Zuelim's newly discovered magical talents rendered these little more than slight nuisances. The main difficulties came with the territory of a group of best friends all moving out together.

Tedo is zooming around the campsite, frantically looking for something. A very frazzled Zuelim looks up from weaving a basket she can carry her pearl in, a project that is a welcome break from her usual task of getting the new clan's hoard sorted out.
'Tedo, what's the matter?'
'I can't find the maps! Where are they?!'
Surprisingly, the energetic nocturne has proven herself to be a very good navigator, much to Vesarie's annoyance. The ridgeback thinks she'd be a far more responsible dragon to put in charge of charting the uncharted, and figuring out what paths to take. Unfortunately for her, she absolutely sucks at drawing, and has no sense of direction, while Tedo has a way of catching every detail. Given this knowledge, Zuelim thinks she can guess where Tedo's maps might be.

'Vesarie!'
Zuelim calls out, knowing the large dragon can't be too far away. As she expected, Vesarie soon shows her face, one wing folded closely to her side.
'Yes, Zuelim?'
'Tedo can't find her maps. You wouldn't happen to know where they are, would you?'
Vesarie sits back on her haunches, withdrawing the map case from beneath her wing, to which Tedo responds with a very indignant squawking sound.
'Ves! Those are mine!'
'Well, I figured an extra set of eyes to check over them couldn't hurt.'

She casually tosses the maps down to Tedo, who very quickly reclaims them.
'Yeah, but your eyes suck!'
Vesarie growls indignantly.
'My eyes do not suck, thank you very much!'
Tedo does her best impression of Vesarie, which is actually quite good, given she's much, much smaller than her.
'My name is Vesarie, I'm sooo much better than Tedo, my eyes told me so!'
'Tedo, that doesn't make any sense! And I don't sound like that!'
Through all of this, Zuelim keeps weaving, trying to tune the bickering dragons out. She gets the feeling these first few days will be very difficult, and not for the reasons she had originally expected...
Day 1
The trio eventually makes it out of Ice territory, finding themselves somewhere in the Starfall Isles; setting up camp in what appeared, at first glance, to be a peaceful clearing. The adventurers were not left to settle calmly for long, annoying, hostile creatures soon came to investigate. Vesarie's size, Tedo's boisterousness, and Zuelim's newly discovered magical talents rendered these little more than slight nuisances. The main difficulties came with the territory of a group of best friends all moving out together.

Tedo is zooming around the campsite, frantically looking for something. A very frazzled Zuelim looks up from weaving a basket she can carry her pearl in, a project that is a welcome break from her usual task of getting the new clan's hoard sorted out.
'Tedo, what's the matter?'
'I can't find the maps! Where are they?!'
Surprisingly, the energetic nocturne has proven herself to be a very good navigator, much to Vesarie's annoyance. The ridgeback thinks she'd be a far more responsible dragon to put in charge of charting the uncharted, and figuring out what paths to take. Unfortunately for her, she absolutely sucks at drawing, and has no sense of direction, while Tedo has a way of catching every detail. Given this knowledge, Zuelim thinks she can guess where Tedo's maps might be.

'Vesarie!'
Zuelim calls out, knowing the large dragon can't be too far away. As she expected, Vesarie soon shows her face, one wing folded closely to her side.
'Yes, Zuelim?'
'Tedo can't find her maps. You wouldn't happen to know where they are, would you?'
Vesarie sits back on her haunches, withdrawing the map case from beneath her wing, to which Tedo responds with a very indignant squawking sound.
'Ves! Those are mine!'
'Well, I figured an extra set of eyes to check over them couldn't hurt.'

She casually tosses the maps down to Tedo, who very quickly reclaims them.
'Yeah, but your eyes suck!'
Vesarie growls indignantly.
'My eyes do not suck, thank you very much!'
Tedo does her best impression of Vesarie, which is actually quite good, given she's much, much smaller than her.
'My name is Vesarie, I'm sooo much better than Tedo, my eyes told me so!'
'Tedo, that doesn't make any sense! And I don't sound like that!'
Through all of this, Zuelim keeps weaving, trying to tune the bickering dragons out. She gets the feeling these first few days will be very difficult, and not for the reasons she had originally expected...
fMy4Ig7.png