Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [Question-A-Day] Clan Indrali
1 2
[center] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2426334#post_2426334][img]https://i.imgur.com/pyTnv0G.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/DbTdBEZ.png[/img][/url] [i]Press the image above to be taken to Clan Indrali's main Lore collection.[/i] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1997330#post_22977835][img]http://orig01.deviantart.net/3345/f/2016/277/d/f/shadowshield_divider_4_by_starkindlerstudio-dajul49.png[/img][/url][/center] I've decided I'd like to make a secondary lore thread specifically for answering question-a-day and other lorebuilding questions, since they're outnumbering my other lore posts! I really like doing them, but I'm becoming a little OCD about the navigation of my main lore thread. A second thread will help me mash out ideas, which I can then refine & post in my clan's main lore thread. So here we are!
pyTnv0G.png
DbTdBEZ.png

Press the image above to be taken to Clan Indrali's main Lore collection.
shadowshield_divider_4_by_starkindlerstudio-dajul49.png

I've decided I'd like to make a secondary lore thread specifically for answering question-a-day and other lorebuilding questions, since they're outnumbering my other lore posts! I really like doing them, but I'm becoming a little OCD about the navigation of my main lore thread. A second thread will help me mash out ideas, which I can then refine & post in my clan's main lore thread. So here we are!
She|Her - Ace - FRT(0) | Lore
g67EwfB.png
res for navigation or something??
res for navigation or something??
g67EwfB.png
Randomly selecting question to answer from the Question-a-day thread~!

13. April 2017. Are the cultures of different Flights accepted in your clan? Does everyone have to take the clan's culture on, or can they save some of their own cultural elements?

I don't really follow/use site 'canon' lore unless its something I like/convenient for me, so Flights are nothing more than geographical places, but there is a 'neutral' faction which is just the default for anyone without a strong alignment to one of the major players (shakuntala/ravana/venera/callista/rokshata).

This includes dragons I haven't built enough lore for yet, dragons that come in to the clan with their own culture (like Sushila and her mate Mukul), and simply neutrals like Sabine/Daire&Wild/Aruna

17. April 2017. Fertility is an important topic of spring. Is it a topic in your clan? Do you interpret Boon of Fertility in your clan lore?

Weaving children and what happens to them into my lore is one of my BIGGEST weak points, mainly because I'm so resistant to thinking about it. It just doesn't interest me. A Boon would probably be interpreted as some sort of magical elixir created by alchemy or some other witchy method the House cooks up.

19. April 2017. What happens to traitors? Are they given a 2nd chance? Are the getting exalted? Are they being kicked out? How severe are your laws and are there different depths of treason?

What happens to them depends on who they betrayed. Shakuntala is a fight-hungry little leader, so she would definitely challenge them to a trial by combat, no second chances.

If they wanted to avoid fighting her, they would have to flee clan lands. It could probably be done in several ways. Sabine might be sympathetic to their cause, Rokshata might be paid off to assist them, or Venera or Ravana might do it just to spite Shakuntala.

Ravana is the weakest faction right now, and much more forgiving than Shakuntala, so betraying him wouldn't earn such dire consequences. He might never trust them again, and might kick them out of his Keep, but they wouldn't be killed for their transgressions.

Venera would never let them know she'd ever found out they'd betrayed her, and she'd kill them in their sleep, end of story. They'd have a 'mysterious accident' when no one was looking.

The highest treason would be a failed coup d'état. No matter how power-hungry each faction leader is, they all respect that a new leader is chosen through an announced trial by combat. Trying to curb this 'gentledragon's agreement' would make enemies out of just about everyone.
Randomly selecting question to answer from the Question-a-day thread~!

13. April 2017. Are the cultures of different Flights accepted in your clan? Does everyone have to take the clan's culture on, or can they save some of their own cultural elements?

I don't really follow/use site 'canon' lore unless its something I like/convenient for me, so Flights are nothing more than geographical places, but there is a 'neutral' faction which is just the default for anyone without a strong alignment to one of the major players (shakuntala/ravana/venera/callista/rokshata).

This includes dragons I haven't built enough lore for yet, dragons that come in to the clan with their own culture (like Sushila and her mate Mukul), and simply neutrals like Sabine/Daire&Wild/Aruna

17. April 2017. Fertility is an important topic of spring. Is it a topic in your clan? Do you interpret Boon of Fertility in your clan lore?

Weaving children and what happens to them into my lore is one of my BIGGEST weak points, mainly because I'm so resistant to thinking about it. It just doesn't interest me. A Boon would probably be interpreted as some sort of magical elixir created by alchemy or some other witchy method the House cooks up.

19. April 2017. What happens to traitors? Are they given a 2nd chance? Are the getting exalted? Are they being kicked out? How severe are your laws and are there different depths of treason?

What happens to them depends on who they betrayed. Shakuntala is a fight-hungry little leader, so she would definitely challenge them to a trial by combat, no second chances.

If they wanted to avoid fighting her, they would have to flee clan lands. It could probably be done in several ways. Sabine might be sympathetic to their cause, Rokshata might be paid off to assist them, or Venera or Ravana might do it just to spite Shakuntala.

Ravana is the weakest faction right now, and much more forgiving than Shakuntala, so betraying him wouldn't earn such dire consequences. He might never trust them again, and might kick them out of his Keep, but they wouldn't be killed for their transgressions.

Venera would never let them know she'd ever found out they'd betrayed her, and she'd kill them in their sleep, end of story. They'd have a 'mysterious accident' when no one was looking.

The highest treason would be a failed coup d'état. No matter how power-hungry each faction leader is, they all respect that a new leader is chosen through an announced trial by combat. Trying to curb this 'gentledragon's agreement' would make enemies out of just about everyone.
g67EwfB.png
22. April 2017. Are there fun places to visit in your lair? What is your favourite place like in the territory of your clan? Who likes that place the most among your dragons?

I plan on placing a lake somewhere in the southeastern-ish part of the map, which might be a fun place for those who like the water to visit!

Right now, the 'most fun' place is probably Sabine's tavern. Dragons can be as raucous as they like as long as they don't break anything. A lot of customers entertain themselves poking fun at Odella to see if they can make her mad, which earns them a frozen-solid drink when they succeed.

Daire & Wild visit the tavern so often it may as well be called their second home.

27. April 2017. Is there a place in your lair, where your dragons can go when they need someone to hear them out? Why is that place special? Is there a single dragon managing it, or does the one hearing others out change from time to time (or even regularly)?

This is ALSO Sabine's tavern, albeit when Sabine is tending the bar and not aloof Odella. Sabine stays carefully neutral, accepts everyone into her tavern, and has a stern-but-maternal nature. She'll give someone a hot meal and ice-cold ale whether they can afford it or not.

28. April 2017. Have you incorporated any of the Fairgrounds games into your lore? How so?

Interesting point I haven't thought about! I like the thought that they're board games dragons regularly play in their off-time.
22. April 2017. Are there fun places to visit in your lair? What is your favourite place like in the territory of your clan? Who likes that place the most among your dragons?

I plan on placing a lake somewhere in the southeastern-ish part of the map, which might be a fun place for those who like the water to visit!

Right now, the 'most fun' place is probably Sabine's tavern. Dragons can be as raucous as they like as long as they don't break anything. A lot of customers entertain themselves poking fun at Odella to see if they can make her mad, which earns them a frozen-solid drink when they succeed.

Daire & Wild visit the tavern so often it may as well be called their second home.

27. April 2017. Is there a place in your lair, where your dragons can go when they need someone to hear them out? Why is that place special? Is there a single dragon managing it, or does the one hearing others out change from time to time (or even regularly)?

This is ALSO Sabine's tavern, albeit when Sabine is tending the bar and not aloof Odella. Sabine stays carefully neutral, accepts everyone into her tavern, and has a stern-but-maternal nature. She'll give someone a hot meal and ice-cold ale whether they can afford it or not.

28. April 2017. Have you incorporated any of the Fairgrounds games into your lore? How so?

Interesting point I haven't thought about! I like the thought that they're board games dragons regularly play in their off-time.
g67EwfB.png
30. April 2017. Is there any tradition in your clan which symbolizes the clan getting rid of evil spirits? How often and when is it put to action?

I suspect that evil spirits aren't much of an issue on Indrali lands, since the clan is a bit of a magical powerhouse. Sushila can see and talk to spirits herself, if the spirit can be reasoned with or needs someone to talk to. The House of Witches also has residents that can see spirits and create spells to outright banish them if necessary.

2. May 2017. Who is your most creative dragon? Do they use that talent for anything? Are they being admired for their creativity, or do they cause chaos with their special ability?

Right now I think this is Aruna, weirdly enough. She has a talent for mixing the right herbs, spices, and grains for tea and ale. Her teahouse is known for its wonderful brews.

Eventually I'd love to get someone more traditionally creative, an actual artist. Perhaps a painter. I'll find them someday!

5. May 2017. How important is it for a dragon's personality to fit with the clan role they are given?
Do you decide to give a dragon a role because of their personality? Do you give a dragon a certain personality because they take on a specific clan role? Have you written any lore for any of your dragons where the personality of the dragon was affected or even changed due to a role they were given? Was it a "teaching experience" given by your leaders, or was it totally unintentional?

A dragon's role and personality don't necessarily have to fit together perfectly. For instance, Aruna who I talked about above, likes to wander. But she owns a business. So she's had to find someone else to manage it and mostly do everything for her, because she doesn't want to be stuck doing so herself even though she enjoys having the teahouse.

I do all of the things above, haha. I give personality-dragons jobs that fit, and job-dragons personalities that fit and then the opposite. Most of the time I get a 'vibe' from a dragon and come up with their personality first.

As far a dragon whose personality was affected by their role, that would be Shakuntala. She was rejected in her childhood, rose to power in young adulthood and the power went straight to her ego. She's gone unchecked for a long period, and she gets worse with every passing season, to the point that she's now convinced herself she's an avatar of the Lightweaver or some such crazy thing! This could've been what her father saw in her all along, and that's why he chose Rambha. Or maybe it could have all been prevented if Krishna had just continued to treat her as equal to her twin. Unfortunately Krishna is dead and we'll never know. We'll see in the future if Shakuntala can live up to her glory, or if she's bound to watch her pious ideals crash down around her...
30. April 2017. Is there any tradition in your clan which symbolizes the clan getting rid of evil spirits? How often and when is it put to action?

I suspect that evil spirits aren't much of an issue on Indrali lands, since the clan is a bit of a magical powerhouse. Sushila can see and talk to spirits herself, if the spirit can be reasoned with or needs someone to talk to. The House of Witches also has residents that can see spirits and create spells to outright banish them if necessary.

2. May 2017. Who is your most creative dragon? Do they use that talent for anything? Are they being admired for their creativity, or do they cause chaos with their special ability?

Right now I think this is Aruna, weirdly enough. She has a talent for mixing the right herbs, spices, and grains for tea and ale. Her teahouse is known for its wonderful brews.

Eventually I'd love to get someone more traditionally creative, an actual artist. Perhaps a painter. I'll find them someday!

5. May 2017. How important is it for a dragon's personality to fit with the clan role they are given?
Do you decide to give a dragon a role because of their personality? Do you give a dragon a certain personality because they take on a specific clan role? Have you written any lore for any of your dragons where the personality of the dragon was affected or even changed due to a role they were given? Was it a "teaching experience" given by your leaders, or was it totally unintentional?

A dragon's role and personality don't necessarily have to fit together perfectly. For instance, Aruna who I talked about above, likes to wander. But she owns a business. So she's had to find someone else to manage it and mostly do everything for her, because she doesn't want to be stuck doing so herself even though she enjoys having the teahouse.

I do all of the things above, haha. I give personality-dragons jobs that fit, and job-dragons personalities that fit and then the opposite. Most of the time I get a 'vibe' from a dragon and come up with their personality first.

As far a dragon whose personality was affected by their role, that would be Shakuntala. She was rejected in her childhood, rose to power in young adulthood and the power went straight to her ego. She's gone unchecked for a long period, and she gets worse with every passing season, to the point that she's now convinced herself she's an avatar of the Lightweaver or some such crazy thing! This could've been what her father saw in her all along, and that's why he chose Rambha. Or maybe it could have all been prevented if Krishna had just continued to treat her as equal to her twin. Unfortunately Krishna is dead and we'll never know. We'll see in the future if Shakuntala can live up to her glory, or if she's bound to watch her pious ideals crash down around her...
g67EwfB.png
[b]8. May 2017. Do you have any haunted dragons or places in your lair? What is their story?[/b] That would be Magali! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41565214] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/415653/41565214_350.png[/img] [/url] She's part of the Haunted Souls subspecies. No longer alive, and aggressive towards others, Magali is a bit like...a grumpy cat. She's chosen to belong to the clan, the clan didn't choose her. Her personal lair is separate from everyone else, and people usually like to stay far away from it. [b]9. May 2017. How are dresses seen in your clan? Who makes them? Are they available for all, or only the rich/worthy? How are "naked" dragons viewed?[/b] Apparel is more of a fashion statement than a necessity. 'Nudity' isn't something censored. Tailors make the clothes, of course! Or alchemists, or witches, if it's something magical (like this festival's [i]spellwrought[/i] shardhide, the method of creation is in the name!). I don't think I have a tailor for the clan yet, though I'd love it if one joined. Rather than follow the 'every clan needs x role', like a healer or a forager, Indrali works with imports/exports. For instance, I said before: [quote]Lady Nightbringer and her followers are rich in artisan goods. Fine trinkets bundled safely (and obscurely) in cloth come and go from the dark towers. Rajnish, Master Nightkeeper, is also a renowned vintner.[/quote] This is will my tailor will eventually settle in, hopefully. In the meantime, it's established that Rajnish makes wine. He can sell the wine to get other things the Nightbringers need. The factions being loyal only to each other (for the most part) also means that if I followed the 'every clan needs x role', I'd also have to assign some roles to every faction. So I'd have multiple foragers for every faction to be able to gather food. This is why I've chosen the import/exports system instead. Each faction trades their specialty with each other, and outside of the clan, to get what they need. ...Did I over-explain this? Lol. Now on a semi-related note: [b]10. May 2017. Do you usually use gems? What are gems and treasure in your lore? What is the difference between them? Do you have a banker in your clan? What is their job? Can dragons have their own share of either currency?[/b] Like the ratio on-site, I believe gems are a sort of 'more valuable' currency for the clan. In the sense that a quarter is more valuable than a penny, though the gap between treasure and gems is much wider. It would depend on the dragon if there's a difference. Sabine, my alewife, might hoard gems because her tavern is very successful, and it's easier to keep. An equivalent amount of treasure would take up much more space. Venera, Lady Nightbringer, is a bit greedy. She probably hoards gems just because they're "more valuable", and would rather use treasure for everyday purposes. There's no 'banker' in my clan, but it might be an interesting idea! Aside from the personal hoards of each faction, there is an official chunk of treasure/gems that is 'clan money'. Right now, Shakuntala manages it. She's an egotistical brat, but a tyrant wouldn't be able to hang on to the leadership of the clan, and she knows that. She still has to take care of official inter-clan relations just like any other leader. She's probably alot worse at it than Ravana was, but she must be doing well enough, since no one's immediately deemed challenging her necessary. Inter-clan markets would follow whatever the demand is. If a nearby clan wants to barter items-for-items, then that happens. If they want gold or gems as payment, that's what they get. Factions contribute a portion of their earnings (whether its material goods or currency) to the clan hoard. No matter that they disagree over who should be leading, they all still prefer to be in Indrali together, rather than struggle alone. Neutral members follow the same structure, on an individual basis. They're a little more forced to find a way to earn things for themselves. Faction members sometimes have the benefit of being supported by their leader without necessarily 'contributing' to the economy themselves. ...Like *cough* Astrophel *cough* [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=40529741] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/405298/40529741_350.png[/img] [/url] A lovable boy, but he's never made a single piece of treasure in his life. He's just a scholar that Venera supports. In summary: Economics is complicated! And its one of those 'big picture' things I'm not good at. I'll definitely have to make sure I keep track of all this & that everything makes sense. At least in writing this out I've realized that while maybe I don't want a banker, the clan should probably at least have a 'scribe' or something to keep track of deposits and withdrawals from the clan hoard. If no one's keeping track, WHO is making sure Daire is paying on time?!
8. May 2017. Do you have any haunted dragons or places in your lair? What is their story?

That would be Magali!

41565214_350.png

She's part of the Haunted Souls subspecies. No longer alive, and aggressive towards others, Magali is a bit like...a grumpy cat. She's chosen to belong to the clan, the clan didn't choose her. Her personal lair is separate from everyone else, and people usually like to stay far away from it.

9. May 2017. How are dresses seen in your clan? Who makes them? Are they available for all, or only the rich/worthy? How are "naked" dragons viewed?

Apparel is more of a fashion statement than a necessity. 'Nudity' isn't something censored. Tailors make the clothes, of course! Or alchemists, or witches, if it's something magical (like this festival's spellwrought shardhide, the method of creation is in the name!).

I don't think I have a tailor for the clan yet, though I'd love it if one joined. Rather than follow the 'every clan needs x role', like a healer or a forager, Indrali works with imports/exports.

For instance, I said before:
Quote:
Lady Nightbringer and her followers are rich in artisan goods. Fine trinkets bundled safely (and obscurely) in cloth come and go from the dark towers. Rajnish, Master Nightkeeper, is also a renowned vintner.

This is will my tailor will eventually settle in, hopefully. In the meantime, it's established that Rajnish makes wine. He can sell the wine to get other things the Nightbringers need.

The factions being loyal only to each other (for the most part) also means that if I followed the 'every clan needs x role', I'd also have to assign some roles to every faction. So I'd have multiple foragers for every faction to be able to gather food. This is why I've chosen the import/exports system instead. Each faction trades their specialty with each other, and outside of the clan, to get what they need.

...Did I over-explain this? Lol.

Now on a semi-related note:
10. May 2017. Do you usually use gems? What are gems and treasure in your lore? What is the difference between them? Do you have a banker in your clan? What is their job? Can dragons have their own share of either currency?

Like the ratio on-site, I believe gems are a sort of 'more valuable' currency for the clan. In the sense that a quarter is more valuable than a penny, though the gap between treasure and gems is much wider.

It would depend on the dragon if there's a difference. Sabine, my alewife, might hoard gems because her tavern is very successful, and it's easier to keep. An equivalent amount of treasure would take up much more space.

Venera, Lady Nightbringer, is a bit greedy. She probably hoards gems just because they're "more valuable", and would rather use treasure for everyday purposes.

There's no 'banker' in my clan, but it might be an interesting idea! Aside from the personal hoards of each faction, there is an official chunk of treasure/gems that is 'clan money'. Right now, Shakuntala manages it. She's an egotistical brat, but a tyrant wouldn't be able to hang on to the leadership of the clan, and she knows that. She still has to take care of official inter-clan relations just like any other leader. She's probably alot worse at it than Ravana was, but she must be doing well enough, since no one's immediately deemed challenging her necessary.

Inter-clan markets would follow whatever the demand is. If a nearby clan wants to barter items-for-items, then that happens. If they want gold or gems as payment, that's what they get.

Factions contribute a portion of their earnings (whether its material goods or currency) to the clan hoard. No matter that they disagree over who should be leading, they all still prefer to be in Indrali together, rather than struggle alone.

Neutral members follow the same structure, on an individual basis. They're a little more forced to find a way to earn things for themselves. Faction members sometimes have the benefit of being supported by their leader without necessarily 'contributing' to the economy themselves.

...Like *cough* Astrophel *cough*

40529741_350.png

A lovable boy, but he's never made a single piece of treasure in his life. He's just a scholar that Venera supports.

In summary: Economics is complicated! And its one of those 'big picture' things I'm not good at. I'll definitely have to make sure I keep track of all this & that everything makes sense.

At least in writing this out I've realized that while maybe I don't want a banker, the clan should probably at least have a 'scribe' or something to keep track of deposits and withdrawals from the clan hoard. If no one's keeping track, WHO is making sure Daire is paying on time?!
g67EwfB.png
15. May 2017. How do you picture when you get a new place from your deity? Does it occur every time your lair grows, or does it only occur when you move a whole tier up (and get an achievement)? Is a sacrifice needed for such honor in your lore (eg. monetary, worshipping, an act of great faith in the deity, etc)? Do you imagine territory being added to your lair, or your clan moving to a new lair someplace bigger?

This aspect isn't featured in my lore at all. It's only a site mechanic. I appreciate that FR keeps all of the little things 'in-theme' with the feel of FR, but that doesn't mean players have to incorporate every tiny bit of it into their own lore.

It doesn't make sense to me that a deity is directly controlling every small parcel of room a clan would have, and I definitely don't connect the size of clan lands to how big someone's on-site lair is. If anything, why wouldn't deities take a certain amount of exalts in return for the land? Why would a deity need treasure?

Anyway, Indrali lands are already much bigger than the clan needs. There's lots of empty space, its just simply what the clan cleared for themselves. They found wild land and carved out a piece of it for their own.

Callista's arrival, of course, might mean that not all of it was 'wild' when they claimed it, but many suspect she's also simply a false queen...
15. May 2017. How do you picture when you get a new place from your deity? Does it occur every time your lair grows, or does it only occur when you move a whole tier up (and get an achievement)? Is a sacrifice needed for such honor in your lore (eg. monetary, worshipping, an act of great faith in the deity, etc)? Do you imagine territory being added to your lair, or your clan moving to a new lair someplace bigger?

This aspect isn't featured in my lore at all. It's only a site mechanic. I appreciate that FR keeps all of the little things 'in-theme' with the feel of FR, but that doesn't mean players have to incorporate every tiny bit of it into their own lore.

It doesn't make sense to me that a deity is directly controlling every small parcel of room a clan would have, and I definitely don't connect the size of clan lands to how big someone's on-site lair is. If anything, why wouldn't deities take a certain amount of exalts in return for the land? Why would a deity need treasure?

Anyway, Indrali lands are already much bigger than the clan needs. There's lots of empty space, its just simply what the clan cleared for themselves. They found wild land and carved out a piece of it for their own.

Callista's arrival, of course, might mean that not all of it was 'wild' when they claimed it, but many suspect she's also simply a false queen...
g67EwfB.png
From the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drs/1825476/1]question-a-day thread[/url] [b]Working with site lore. Ice dragons are distant and cold in every sense. Who is your iciest ice dragon? Who acts like an ice dragon despite having a different element? Who acts totally different despite coming from an ice clan?[/b] Iciest Ice Dragon: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=34263389] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/342634/34263389_350.png[/img] [/url] Definitely goes to Odella. Though she's tolerant, she's got no sense of humor. Not a single clan member has ever seen her laugh. Acts like ice: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=41565214] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/415653/41565214_350.png[/img] [/url] Magali! Very cold and distant, and outright aggressive to those who approach her. She has her lair separate from the rest of the clan and doesn't interact with anyone. An ice dragon who acts totally different: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44942466] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/449425/44942466_350.png[/img] [/url] Though her lore isn't written out yet, this is going to be Nura! I just recently read the Coatl encyclopedia page & liked the idea of having a 'stereotypical' Coatl. The problem is, I only have 2 Coatls in my lair, and neither one of them are fire dergs. Oh WELL. We'll make it work anyway! I have the idea that Nura came from a wealthy family. She's a tiny madam with no magical skills of her own, so she's the House of Witches' number one customer. She spends all of her treasure on things for her own comfort, like an enchanted amulet that will warm the air around her. And an enchanted lava pool in her house that won't destroy the rest of the building.
From the question-a-day thread

Working with site lore. Ice dragons are distant and cold in every sense. Who is your iciest ice dragon? Who acts like an ice dragon despite having a different element? Who acts totally different despite coming from an ice clan?

Iciest Ice Dragon:

34263389_350.png

Definitely goes to Odella. Though she's tolerant, she's got no sense of humor. Not a single clan member has ever seen her laugh.

Acts like ice:

41565214_350.png

Magali! Very cold and distant, and outright aggressive to those who approach her. She has her lair separate from the rest of the clan and doesn't interact with anyone.

An ice dragon who acts totally different:

44942466_350.png

Though her lore isn't written out yet, this is going to be Nura! I just recently read the Coatl encyclopedia page & liked the idea of having a 'stereotypical' Coatl.

The problem is, I only have 2 Coatls in my lair, and neither one of them are fire dergs. Oh WELL. We'll make it work anyway!

I have the idea that Nura came from a wealthy family. She's a tiny madam with no magical skills of her own, so she's the House of Witches' number one customer. She spends all of her treasure on things for her own comfort, like an enchanted amulet that will warm the air around her. And an enchanted lava pool in her house that won't destroy the rest of the building.
g67EwfB.png
From the lore [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/1784200/3#post_25560938]question-a-day thread[/url]: [i]19. April 2017[/i] [b]What is exalting considered? Is it a great honor? Is it a punishment? Is it a sacrifice to the deity? Does it make the dragon fight eternally or are there other methods and roles to serve the deity? Can the dragons still communicate with their former clans, maybe even visit from time to time?[/b] Depends on who you ask! Clan-lore-wise, the dragons can return from exaltation, which isn't necessarily a shameful act, however if they are actively exalted they cannot visit or communicate with their clan or anyone else. They're under direct command of their deity. A bit like nunneries, I guess? Which is a brave analogy on my part since I'm not Christian. The one in Indrali who feels most strongly about exalting is General Kubera: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=27454468] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/274545/27454468_350.png[/img] [/url] (who is currently undergoing an outfit & gene makeover) He is the one who considers exalting a great honor to the dragon deities. He believes it's the most purposeful path one can take in life, and only resists serving The Stormcatcher himself because of his loyalty to Ravana. When he can no longer fight for his leader, Kubera fully intends on going to faithfully serve his deity forevermore. The least pious is probably Venera [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32929721] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/329298/32929721_350.png[/img] [/url] Because Venera doesn't believe strongly in anything that doesn't directly benefit [i]her[/i]. She'd use her own hatchlings for political/social gain. The deities reward clans for exaltation, but Venera is after more than a measly few coins. ------------------ [i]20. April 2016.[/i] [b]Let's have some fun today! Go to your last permanent dragon in your clan. What is the hobby of that dragon? What is their favorite color? Do they have a clan role? How long have they been in the clan? Do they have friends? Family? Tell me everything about your last member as if they were your first and most important![/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8190927] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/81910/8190927_350.png[/img] [/url] It's Portia! One of my newer additions, a lovely 7-digit lady. Hobby: I feel like Portia likes to collect antiques, and more specifically, old books. She's the Night's Gale crew's black market liaison, the middleman (middledragon?) whenever Siren needs to liquidate her treasures. Portia only takes payment in items, and is a a bit of a grump, so not many people deal with her besides Siren. Which means that business is probably slow for her whenever the Night's Gale isn't docked at harbor. So I feel like she spends a lot of time reading books, and then likes to collect old books. Favorite color: Storm blue ;) Clan Role: Black market liaison. Siren is her regular customer, but Venera also deals with her as a last resort if she has to. She regularly comes and goes from the clan and doesn't interact much with the others. Likes to keep to herself. How long have they been in the clan: *sweats*. Portia is more of an existence on her own than an official member of the clan. Friends: None. She prefers books to people. Family: None.
From the lore question-a-day thread:

19. April 2017
What is exalting considered? Is it a great honor? Is it a punishment? Is it a sacrifice to the deity? Does it make the dragon fight eternally or are there other methods and roles to serve the deity? Can the dragons still communicate with their former clans, maybe even visit from time to time?

Depends on who you ask!

Clan-lore-wise, the dragons can return from exaltation, which isn't necessarily a shameful act, however if they are actively exalted they cannot visit or communicate with their clan or anyone else. They're under direct command of their deity. A bit like nunneries, I guess? Which is a brave analogy on my part since I'm not Christian.

The one in Indrali who feels most strongly about exalting is General Kubera:

27454468_350.png

(who is currently undergoing an outfit & gene makeover)

He is the one who considers exalting a great honor to the dragon deities. He believes it's the most purposeful path one can take in life, and only resists serving The Stormcatcher himself because of his loyalty to Ravana. When he can no longer fight for his leader, Kubera fully intends on going to faithfully serve his deity forevermore.

The least pious is probably Venera

32929721_350.png

Because Venera doesn't believe strongly in anything that doesn't directly benefit her. She'd use her own hatchlings for political/social gain. The deities reward clans for exaltation, but Venera is after more than a measly few coins.

20. April 2016.
Let's have some fun today! Go to your last permanent dragon in your clan. What is the hobby of that dragon? What is their favorite color? Do they have a clan role? How long have they been in the clan? Do they have friends? Family? Tell me everything about your last member as if they were your first and most important!

8190927_350.png

It's Portia! One of my newer additions, a lovely 7-digit lady.

Hobby: I feel like Portia likes to collect antiques, and more specifically, old books. She's the Night's Gale crew's black market liaison, the middleman (middledragon?) whenever Siren needs to liquidate her treasures. Portia only takes payment in items, and is a a bit of a grump, so not many people deal with her besides Siren. Which means that business is probably slow for her whenever the Night's Gale isn't docked at harbor. So I feel like she spends a lot of time reading books, and then likes to collect old books.

Favorite color: Storm blue ;)

Clan Role: Black market liaison. Siren is her regular customer, but Venera also deals with her as a last resort if she has to. She regularly comes and goes from the clan and doesn't interact much with the others. Likes to keep to herself.

How long have they been in the clan: *sweats*. Portia is more of an existence on her own than an official member of the clan.

Friends: None. She prefers books to people.

Family: None.
g67EwfB.png
[i]1. May 2016.[/i] [b]Show me the most interesting mother-child relationship you have worked with. Are they still living in the same clan? Are they living together? Do they love each other? Do they hate each other? Everything mother-child related is appreciated today![/b] [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/165146/16514535_350.png[/img] I think Apsara has always been the most interesting mother featured in clan lore. She was the mother of the current clan leader, Shakuntala, and her twin sister Rambha. More interestingly, she's also the mother of Kanti: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38569513] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/385696/38569513_350.png[/img] [/url] OOC, Kanti was an accidental exalt I greatly missed. In-lore by that time, Krishna had already been killed by Shakuntala, but OOC I still had Apsara. So I gave her a new temporary mate (who doesn't feature in the lore at all) and told the tale of a reincarnated Imperial... I've yet to explain exactly how Kanti first died, but it's now lore that Apsara sacrificed her life in exchange for bringing Kanti back. He was originally a Lightning dragon, now Shadow, and there's something definitely [i]off[/i] about him, but we have yet to see exactly what... --------------- [i]2. May 2016.[/i] [b]As of travelers, how do dragons from different species communicate? Are there language tutors and teachers in your clan? Are languages a barrier in communication?[/b] Right away, I can think of three dragons that are definitely fully bilingual: Aruna, Sabine, and Portia. Rokshata the witch probably isn't actually bilingual, but uses translation spells to understand 'foreign' customers like Nura (who probably just writes down a wishlist of items anyway, as a coatl used to having no one understand her). There's probably no formal tutors in the clan, though the thought intrigues me. I imagine depending on personality and how leisurely their life is, a dragon wanting to learn another language might just be able to ask another for some help. Portia would definitely just throw a book full of guardian-speak at someone. The friendliest guardian of the clan is probably Nirrti, but she's a very busy female, so anyone wanting to learn from her would have to be willing to travel alongside her for awhile. As a dragoness who likes to talk, Priscilla would be happy to shove her work aside and teach someone the Skydancer language. Any brave soul attempting coatlese could try asking Nura, since the wealthy little lady has plenty of time on her hands. On one hand, she probably speaks very book-proper and would be a good source. On the other, she speaks very fast. There are plenty of Imperials to learn from! For one Wild, who I'm now realizing must also speak the Spiral language since she's Daire's best friend. Adventuring with Daire and Wild might put your life on the line, but you'd be learning to languages at once! The only slight problem I foresee is that they regularly switch back and forth between Imperialese and Spiral-speak, and they most definitely use all sorts of slang (including words they make up on the spot). So maybe Daire and Wild aren't the best tutors after all. Let's see then...the wisest choice would be to visit Ravana's keep, since he has so many Imperial warriors at his command. Most of whom are levelheaded. Cyrus would be a great choice, as would Herodion. General Kubera, Jurian, and Jairus are all more interesting in teaching someone how to fight than how to talk. As for excitable Spirals? Hmm. You might be out of luck. There's only Daire, who we've gone over, and Rowdy. So...you either risk your life or risk your life. It's down to whether you prefer an ancient temple or the high seas. Good luck! For Nocturne tutors, there are two choices as well, but they're much better than one's Spiral options. There's Cessair the fairy, who no doubt uses very ancient wordage, and Aruna. Aruna would be another dragon one would have to travel with, but her warm personality would make her a great teacher! As long as one doesn't mind running into a Forest god on the way... Another dual choice for Pearlcatchers. Fleta & Jadis, with the former probably being the better option. Fleta is gentle. Jadis doesn't necessarily have a bad personality, but her association with the Nightbringers means a dragon would definitely be paying for their lessons in one way or another. For learning how Ridgebacks talk? Sabine. You don't want to go to anyone else. Mostly because Sabine would be offended if you did. Finally, a dragon is better off going somewhere else to learn Wildclaw! None of the WCs in Clan Indrali would make good teachers. --------- [b]Question-a-day's answered so far:[/b] 19. April 2016 20. April 2016 1. May 2016 2. May 2016 13. April 2017 17. April 2017 19. April 2017 22. April 2017 27. April 2017 28. April 2017 30. April 2017 5. May 2017 8. May 2017 9. May 2017. 10. May 2017. 15. May 2017
1. May 2016.
Show me the most interesting mother-child relationship you have worked with. Are they still living in the same clan? Are they living together? Do they love each other? Do they hate each other? Everything mother-child related is appreciated today!

16514535_350.png
I think Apsara has always been the most interesting mother featured in clan lore. She was the mother of the current clan leader, Shakuntala, and her twin sister Rambha.

More interestingly, she's also the mother of Kanti:

38569513_350.png

OOC, Kanti was an accidental exalt I greatly missed. In-lore by that time, Krishna had already been killed by Shakuntala, but OOC I still had Apsara. So I gave her a new temporary mate (who doesn't feature in the lore at all) and told the tale of a reincarnated Imperial...

I've yet to explain exactly how Kanti first died, but it's now lore that Apsara sacrificed her life in exchange for bringing Kanti back. He was originally a Lightning dragon, now Shadow, and there's something definitely off about him, but we have yet to see exactly what...

2. May 2016.
As of travelers, how do dragons from different species communicate? Are there language tutors and teachers in your clan? Are languages a barrier in communication?

Right away, I can think of three dragons that are definitely fully bilingual: Aruna, Sabine, and Portia. Rokshata the witch probably isn't actually bilingual, but uses translation spells to understand 'foreign' customers like Nura (who probably just writes down a wishlist of items anyway, as a coatl used to having no one understand her).

There's probably no formal tutors in the clan, though the thought intrigues me. I imagine depending on personality and how leisurely their life is, a dragon wanting to learn another language might just be able to ask another for some help.

Portia would definitely just throw a book full of guardian-speak at someone. The friendliest guardian of the clan is probably Nirrti, but she's a very busy female, so anyone wanting to learn from her would have to be willing to travel alongside her for awhile.

As a dragoness who likes to talk, Priscilla would be happy to shove her work aside and teach someone the Skydancer language.

Any brave soul attempting coatlese could try asking Nura, since the wealthy little lady has plenty of time on her hands. On one hand, she probably speaks very book-proper and would be a good source. On the other, she speaks very fast.

There are plenty of Imperials to learn from! For one Wild, who I'm now realizing must also speak the Spiral language since she's Daire's best friend. Adventuring with Daire and Wild might put your life on the line, but you'd be learning to languages at once! The only slight problem I foresee is that they regularly switch back and forth between Imperialese and Spiral-speak, and they most definitely use all sorts of slang (including words they make up on the spot).

So maybe Daire and Wild aren't the best tutors after all. Let's see then...the wisest choice would be to visit Ravana's keep, since he has so many Imperial warriors at his command. Most of whom are levelheaded. Cyrus would be a great choice, as would Herodion. General Kubera, Jurian, and Jairus are all more interesting in teaching someone how to fight than how to talk.

As for excitable Spirals? Hmm. You might be out of luck. There's only Daire, who we've gone over, and Rowdy. So...you either risk your life or risk your life. It's down to whether you prefer an ancient temple or the high seas. Good luck!

For Nocturne tutors, there are two choices as well, but they're much better than one's Spiral options. There's Cessair the fairy, who no doubt uses very ancient wordage, and Aruna. Aruna would be another dragon one would have to travel with, but her warm personality would make her a great teacher! As long as one doesn't mind running into a Forest god on the way...

Another dual choice for Pearlcatchers. Fleta & Jadis, with the former probably being the better option. Fleta is gentle. Jadis doesn't necessarily have a bad personality, but her association with the Nightbringers means a dragon would definitely be paying for their lessons in one way or another.

For learning how Ridgebacks talk? Sabine. You don't want to go to anyone else. Mostly because Sabine would be offended if you did.

Finally, a dragon is better off going somewhere else to learn Wildclaw! None of the WCs in Clan Indrali would make good teachers.

Question-a-day's answered so far:
19. April 2016
20. April 2016
1. May 2016
2. May 2016

13. April 2017
17. April 2017
19. April 2017
22. April 2017
27. April 2017
28. April 2017
30. April 2017