Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | REMNANTS: Writing Contest [WINNER p1!]
1 2
[center][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/adopt/2572200/1][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/1ec6/f/2018/323/3/0/remnants_logo_by_dembai-dcpi1og.png[/img][/url][/center] (click the banner above to check out the store!) [center][img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/bb88/f/2018/323/1/b/splashomgwtf_by_dembai-dcsdipl.png[/img][/center] [b][size=150]Welcome to Remnants! [/size][/b] Not long ago a group of students got together to do research on an Ancient Device. They knew that it could sort and store all sorts of elemental magic, but when they finally got it working again, they discovered that it didn't just STORE elemental magic...it summoned beings made of those elements! Those beings are called Remnants! Remnants are sentient living elementals who are composed of whatever energy summoned them! *** This is a contest to win your very own Remnant! Our students got the Ancient Device working once again and the result is... [img]https://orig00.deviantart.net/43e6/f/2018/324/d/4/firesummoncard_by_dembai-dcsgja3.png[/img] This is the Remnant of FIRE. While this newly summoned form may look a little childish, this elemental is as old as what it represents. And in the case of FIRE, that's VERY old indeed. [b]This is a writing contest![/b] Anyone can enter - the only requirement is that you respond to the prompt below! (FR rules apply.) Entrants will be judged on the following prompt. [i][b]Fire has a naturally fiery disposition including a ferocious temper. Tell a story about a time his temper caused a huge amount of trouble. [/b][/i][i](this can be set anywhere, anytime, any setting. Go wild!)[/i] USE THIS FORM! [code] USERNAME: REMNANT'S NAME: (what will you call them?) PROMPT: (max 1000 words. Can ABSOLUTELY be shorter!) [/code] [b]CONTEST ENDS: DEC 7th @10am EST[/b] (Please don't change the size of your text to be smaller. I'm old and I need new glasses. Bigger is fine. lol)
remnants_logo_by_dembai-dcpi1og.png

(click the banner above to check out the store!)
splashomgwtf_by_dembai-dcsdipl.png

Welcome to Remnants!

Not long ago a group of students got together to do research on an Ancient Device. They knew that it could sort and store all sorts of elemental magic, but when they finally got it working again, they discovered that it didn't just STORE elemental magic...it summoned beings made of those elements!

Those beings are called Remnants! Remnants are sentient living elementals who are composed of whatever energy summoned them!

This is a contest to win your very own Remnant! Our students got the Ancient Device working once again and the result is...

firesummoncard_by_dembai-dcsgja3.png

This is the Remnant of FIRE. While this newly summoned form may look a little childish, this elemental is as old as what it represents. And in the case of FIRE, that's VERY old indeed.

This is a writing contest!

Anyone can enter - the only requirement is that you respond to the prompt below! (FR rules apply.)

Entrants will be judged on the following prompt.

Fire has a naturally fiery disposition including a ferocious temper. Tell a story about a time his temper caused a huge amount of trouble. (this can be set anywhere, anytime, any setting. Go wild!)

USE THIS FORM!
Code:
USERNAME: REMNANT'S NAME: (what will you call them?) PROMPT: (max 1000 words. Can ABSOLUTELY be shorter!)

CONTEST ENDS: DEC 7th @10am EST

(Please don't change the size of your text to be smaller. I'm old and I need new glasses. Bigger is fine. lol)
5gSLBV0.png
USERNAME: GreatLordHades
REMNANT'S NAME: Flara
PROMPT:
"Shut UP!" Flara screamed, stamping her feet and causing a heat wave to sweep over the town square, setting everything ablaze. "Shut up! Shut up already! Stop talking, stop talking about me!" Her fiery hair flared up, and the humans were cowering in fear. Flara began zipping around the town, screaming at anyone she encountered. See, she'd always had this problem with her temper. Any ill word spoken of her, and she would fly into a rage, destroying anything in her path.
Thankfully for the humans, she was caught this time.
Soon, she found the freezing shackles wrapped around her wrists as she was locked up in the dungeons, leaving her growling and muttering under her breath about how stupid the humans were. Her mood didn't improve when she was let back into the town square, and some children commented on her temper...
PROMPT:
"Shut UP!" Flara screamed, stamping her feet and causing a heat wave to sweep over the town square, setting everything ablaze. "Shut up! Shut up already! Stop talking, stop talking about me!" Her fiery hair flared up, and the humans were cowering in fear. Flara began zipping around the town, screaming at anyone she encountered. See, she'd always had this problem with her temper. Any ill word spoken of her, and she would fly into a rage, destroying anything in her path.
Soon, she found the freezing shackles wrapped around her wrists as she was locked up in the dungeons, leaving her growling and muttering under her breath about how stupid the humans were. Her mood didn't improve when she was let back into the town square, and some children commented on her temper...
Oh, but can't you feel it?! The void, it's calling me- Calling all of us! It wants to eat our souls, so that we never ascend to the heavens, it wants to absorb us! It needs sustenance, so that it may expand and envelop this whole useless world! All that muck and grime, the ooze, it will fill every crevice of reality, and it will change the world into a paradise! All you have to do is live to see it!
And why aren't I scared? Because the void is the afterlife, and I am its Grim Reaper!
USERNAME: WishUponADragon
REMNANT'S NAME: Igni
PROMPT:
"Okay, that's perfect, just sit still!" The little shadow sprite bounced around somewhere behind Igni, rustling about with her straw and spindle. "Oh, yes, your wings are just the perfect temperature for the magic!" Icho's voice rose to a startlingly high pitch. "Stay right there, okay?"

Igni traced patterns in the dusty floor while she set to work. He'd thought the sprite had something more exciting in mind when she'd asked him to help with her chores. Sitting still while someone else did everything was going to get very boring very quickly. "So, uh, are you sure you don't want, say, actual help? Like, I could... I don't know, do what you're doing?"

Icho giggled. "No, silly! You're perfect just where you are. Don't move! Oh, this is going to go so much faster now that I don't have to bother with all those candles! I bet I can spin all of this straw in only a couple of hours!"

That caught Igni's attention. "Wait, what do you mean hours? You told me this wouldn't take long!" All of the flames on his body grew with his anger, but fell again just as quickly when Icho squeaked in distress behind him. Igni turned to see the straw alight with flames and Icho backing away with her spindle, wrapped in just a few strands of gold. She looked sadly between Igni and the burning straw.

"Sorry..." she whispered before hastily flying away.

Igni watched the sprite leave and kicked at the straw with feelings he couldn't quite place. "I'm sorry too," he muttered, knowing she wouldn't hear.
USERNAME: WishUponADragon
REMNANT'S NAME: Igni
PROMPT:
"Okay, that's perfect, just sit still!" The little shadow sprite bounced around somewhere behind Igni, rustling about with her straw and spindle. "Oh, yes, your wings are just the perfect temperature for the magic!" Icho's voice rose to a startlingly high pitch. "Stay right there, okay?"

Igni traced patterns in the dusty floor while she set to work. He'd thought the sprite had something more exciting in mind when she'd asked him to help with her chores. Sitting still while someone else did everything was going to get very boring very quickly. "So, uh, are you sure you don't want, say, actual help? Like, I could... I don't know, do what you're doing?"

Icho giggled. "No, silly! You're perfect just where you are. Don't move! Oh, this is going to go so much faster now that I don't have to bother with all those candles! I bet I can spin all of this straw in only a couple of hours!"

That caught Igni's attention. "Wait, what do you mean hours? You told me this wouldn't take long!" All of the flames on his body grew with his anger, but fell again just as quickly when Icho squeaked in distress behind him. Igni turned to see the straw alight with flames and Icho backing away with her spindle, wrapped in just a few strands of gold. She looked sadly between Igni and the burning straw.

"Sorry..." she whispered before hastily flying away.

Igni watched the sprite leave and kicked at the straw with feelings he couldn't quite place. "I'm sorry too," he muttered, knowing she wouldn't hear.
dczn1qe-7ea5b2bc-c7a9-4a6a-8ea7-1777b6cff32a.png
USERNAME: Alphonce
REMNANT'S NAME: Vociferar
PROMPT:

Vociferar lived by a huge city up on top of a dormant volcano. They liked to move a lot but this place really captivated him. The beaming lights and bustling streets had made them want to stay there as soon as they laid their eyes on it. They loved how bright it was, how the loud days and nights reminded them of their own spark and flame. The liveliness made them feel right at home. However, they're passion never ceased to also make them frustrated when the thundering rainclouds and winter season would come by.

It always seemed to make everything more dreary in the city, halting all parties and conventions that and making it hard to see the light that had burst from the buildings before. Even the brightest days celebrated were blocked by the most vigorous blizzards. Finally, Vociferar was tired of this white and cloudy time of year and made up a plan while they hid from the cold in their mountain.

"I will stop it in its tracks once it comes by!" they said. "It will never want to rear it's head here again. Then we can all enjoy the city for what it is all year long."

The time had come when the first flake hit the ground. They had been slowly been removing the cap of the mountain and making way for the explosive defense they had ready. They then used all his power to heat up the mountain with blazes so hot that the volcano was quiet no more.

The city soon had felt quaking in the earth and soon after ash was filling the air. The volcano that everyone thought dormant had erupted. Everyone was in awe as this was never something to be expected by anyone. The sky had continuously turned more grey and smoggy as the minutes went by and an evacuation notice had been given. By the time the mountain had truly erupted the people had escaped.

"Hah, well the snow's not falling anymore but... why can't I see anything. It's almost as if it's night," Vociferar said to himself, "and why are the silhouettes of the buildings and people gone?" Something wasn't right. They wanted to go investigate.

Vociferar went down the dirty black mountain and saw only darkness, even darker than the sky above. A darkness that seemed to smooth out the land that the city had laid upon before. It was... eery and lonely, the opposite of what it was like before.

They waited there forever but nothing seemed to change.

The city didn't light up that day.

USERNAME: Alphonce
REMNANT'S NAME: Vociferar
PROMPT:

Vociferar lived by a huge city up on top of a dormant volcano. They liked to move a lot but this place really captivated him. The beaming lights and bustling streets had made them want to stay there as soon as they laid their eyes on it. They loved how bright it was, how the loud days and nights reminded them of their own spark and flame. The liveliness made them feel right at home. However, they're passion never ceased to also make them frustrated when the thundering rainclouds and winter season would come by.

It always seemed to make everything more dreary in the city, halting all parties and conventions that and making it hard to see the light that had burst from the buildings before. Even the brightest days celebrated were blocked by the most vigorous blizzards. Finally, Vociferar was tired of this white and cloudy time of year and made up a plan while they hid from the cold in their mountain.

"I will stop it in its tracks once it comes by!" they said. "It will never want to rear it's head here again. Then we can all enjoy the city for what it is all year long."

The time had come when the first flake hit the ground. They had been slowly been removing the cap of the mountain and making way for the explosive defense they had ready. They then used all his power to heat up the mountain with blazes so hot that the volcano was quiet no more.

The city soon had felt quaking in the earth and soon after ash was filling the air. The volcano that everyone thought dormant had erupted. Everyone was in awe as this was never something to be expected by anyone. The sky had continuously turned more grey and smoggy as the minutes went by and an evacuation notice had been given. By the time the mountain had truly erupted the people had escaped.

"Hah, well the snow's not falling anymore but... why can't I see anything. It's almost as if it's night," Vociferar said to himself, "and why are the silhouettes of the buildings and people gone?" Something wasn't right. They wanted to go investigate.

Vociferar went down the dirty black mountain and saw only darkness, even darker than the sky above. A darkness that seemed to smooth out the land that the city had laid upon before. It was... eery and lonely, the opposite of what it was like before.

They waited there forever but nothing seemed to change.

The city didn't light up that day.

up!
up!
5gSLBV0.png
up!
up!
5gSLBV0.png
Bump! LAST DAY FOR ENTRIES!
Bump! LAST DAY FOR ENTRIES!
5gSLBV0.png
bump!
bump!
5gSLBV0.png
CONTEST OVER. WINNER SOON!
CONTEST OVER. WINNER SOON!
5gSLBV0.png
[quote name="@GreatLordHades" date="2018-11-25 16:32:16" ] USERNAME: GreatLordHades REMNANT'S NAME: Flara PROMPT: "Shut UP!" Flara screamed, stamping her feet and causing a heat wave to sweep over the town square, setting everything ablaze. "Shut up! Shut up already! Stop talking, stop talking about me!" Her fiery hair flared up, and the humans were cowering in fear. Flara began zipping around the town, screaming at anyone she encountered. See, she'd always had this problem with her temper. Any ill word spoken of her, and she would fly into a rage, destroying anything in her path. Thankfully for the humans, she was caught this time. Soon, she found the freezing shackles wrapped around her wrists as she was locked up in the dungeons, leaving her growling and muttering under her breath about how stupid the humans were. Her mood didn't improve when she was let back into the town square, and some children commented on her temper... [/quote] Congratulations! While I loved all three stories, this one was definitely the angriest one with the biggest amount of trouble caused! I note you have picked feminine pronouns - would you like Flara's exterior to reflect those pronouns (the design was to be masculine, and can remain so if you wish)? Since Gender has nothing to do with how these guys breed, it's up to you if you want them to have a feminine exterior! Just let me know! Also - would you like a "sig worthy" version of Flara? It would feature the art, the name of the shop and her element. *** @Alphonce @WishUponADragon Don't worry about not winning this time! Just by entering, you get rewards - including free entry into raffles for non-Prime Remnants like the one coming soon for the Holidays!
@GreatLordHades wrote on 2018-11-25 16:32:16:
PROMPT:

Congratulations! While I loved all three stories, this one was definitely the angriest one with the biggest amount of trouble caused!

I note you have picked feminine pronouns - would you like Flara's exterior to reflect those pronouns (the design was to be masculine, and can remain so if you wish)? Since Gender has nothing to do with how these guys breed, it's up to you if you want them to have a feminine exterior!

Just let me know! Also - would you like a "sig worthy" version of Flara? It would feature the art, the name of the shop and her element.

@Alphonce @WishUponADragon

Don't worry about not winning this time! Just by entering, you get rewards - including free entry into raffles for non-Prime Remnants like the one coming soon for the Holidays!
5gSLBV0.png
1 2