Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Blazefire Library Archives [DNP]
1 2 3
Written for: Gurepu's Haru.

Haru walked silently through the landscape of barren ground dotted with tall trees here and there. His patrol walked alongside him, their eyes wide and alert for enemies that posed a danger to the clan. The smallest member of the patrol, Aria, a small Fae, flew near his head. Her continuous wingbeats near to his ear were getting a bit annoying, but as a large Imperial, Haru was already used to tolerating these noises.

12.28pm. 12th of April. Today.

Haru blinked the numbers away and they vanished before his eyes. He scowled, and his patrol mates glanced curiously at him. He shook his head, indicating that he was fine, and the patrol continued onward.

But in reality, he was far from fine.

Since as far as he could remember, he had been seeing these numbers and dates pop up randomly before his eyes. But they only did when he was thinking about a dragon in particular. Nothing significant related to the numbers had happened, but he could not stop thinking about them. He did not dare to tell about this to anyone in case they isolated or outcast him for sorcery or something.

“Haru! Hurry up! We don’t have all day. We have to get back to camp with the report by twelve thirty!” The patrol leader, a tall Ridgeback named Marian, called to him. He ducked his head, a little embarrassed, and rushed to catch up.

The rest of the patrol passed rather uneventfully, but when they were just heading back to camp, Haru heard a creaking sound from far above him. He barely had time to shout out an alarm before the large severed tree trunk dove down at them. Must be the work of BeastClans. The patrol squealed and hurriedly moved away from the tree trunk’s path, but Aria was too slow. Her yells were cut off as the tree landed on the ground with a thump.

Haru looked up through the canopy. Judging by the time, it was almost twelve thirty, almost the time they had to be going back. Almost twelve thirty. Almost twelve thirty. The numbers she had seen flashing across his eyes half an hour ago burned into his mind.

“12.28pm. 12th of April,” he murmured under his breath. His eyes widened as he realised what it meant.

It was the exact time Aria died.

-- -- --

She could see how dragons died.

He could see when dragons died.

The two of them, together.

-- -- --

“Haru!” Bordeux’s voice came towards him through the foliage of the jungle. “It came again.” The female slipped into the clearing her mate was in, her eyes wide.

“What is it?” Haru asked, not as worried as his mate because he had been in this situation many times before, just like Bordeux. But this time she seemed a little more worried and scared than usual.

“You’re going to die,” she gasped, clutching his arm. “I saw a forest. Identical to this one. And there was a horde of BeastClans that attacked. Its leader slashed your throat and you fell from the air. I couldn’t save you in that vision.”

4.31pm. 7th October.

“I had a vision, too,” he answered. “In three hours, today. You’re going to die. This means we are probably going to die today, together.”

Bordeux was shaking her head. “No. I don’t want to die.” Her eyes now brimmed with tears, and she looked up fearfully at him. “Do you think...We can somehow alter the events such that we won’t die?”

- - - - -

Bordeux stood as still as possible, watching the dragon decoy’s leaf wings flutter in the faint breeze. Above her, somewhere high up in the canopy, Haru was lying in ambush, waiting to launch an all-out aerial attack from above the moment the BeastClans headed towards the decoy dragon. And here, Bordeux was going to use her magic to shield the both of them, and also launch magical attacks whenever she could. This way, the Beasts would not kill them.

“ARGHH!”

The war cry of the Harpy echoed throughout the forest and she hurriedly chanted a shielding spell. An invisible dome of magic covered and camouflaged her against enemies that used scent or heat to detect dragons. The next moment, the Harpy flock dove down into the clearing, sharp spears aimed at the decoy.

Bordeux used her magic to move the decoy a little, and even made it fight back. She had to distract the Harpies while Haru set up an attack above. These magic took a little strain on her mental energy, and just as she thought she could not hold on anymore, there was a whistle and several ice bolts shot down at the Harpies. Within seconds, they were eliminated.

With a satisfied smile, Bordeux stopped her spells and flew out just as Haru swooped down from above. They high-fived each other and smiled at each other.

“Good job,” Haru murmured, hugging her tightly. “We did it!”

-- -- --

A pair that cheated death.

Written for: Gurepu's Haru.

Haru walked silently through the landscape of barren ground dotted with tall trees here and there. His patrol walked alongside him, their eyes wide and alert for enemies that posed a danger to the clan. The smallest member of the patrol, Aria, a small Fae, flew near his head. Her continuous wingbeats near to his ear were getting a bit annoying, but as a large Imperial, Haru was already used to tolerating these noises.

12.28pm. 12th of April. Today.

Haru blinked the numbers away and they vanished before his eyes. He scowled, and his patrol mates glanced curiously at him. He shook his head, indicating that he was fine, and the patrol continued onward.

But in reality, he was far from fine.

Since as far as he could remember, he had been seeing these numbers and dates pop up randomly before his eyes. But they only did when he was thinking about a dragon in particular. Nothing significant related to the numbers had happened, but he could not stop thinking about them. He did not dare to tell about this to anyone in case they isolated or outcast him for sorcery or something.

“Haru! Hurry up! We don’t have all day. We have to get back to camp with the report by twelve thirty!” The patrol leader, a tall Ridgeback named Marian, called to him. He ducked his head, a little embarrassed, and rushed to catch up.

The rest of the patrol passed rather uneventfully, but when they were just heading back to camp, Haru heard a creaking sound from far above him. He barely had time to shout out an alarm before the large severed tree trunk dove down at them. Must be the work of BeastClans. The patrol squealed and hurriedly moved away from the tree trunk’s path, but Aria was too slow. Her yells were cut off as the tree landed on the ground with a thump.

Haru looked up through the canopy. Judging by the time, it was almost twelve thirty, almost the time they had to be going back. Almost twelve thirty. Almost twelve thirty. The numbers she had seen flashing across his eyes half an hour ago burned into his mind.

“12.28pm. 12th of April,” he murmured under his breath. His eyes widened as he realised what it meant.

It was the exact time Aria died.

-- -- --

-- -- --

“Haru!” Bordeux’s voice came towards him through the foliage of the jungle. “It came again.” The female slipped into the clearing her mate was in, her eyes wide.

“What is it?” Haru asked, not as worried as his mate because he had been in this situation many times before, just like Bordeux. But this time she seemed a little more worried and scared than usual.

“You’re going to die,” she gasped, clutching his arm. “I saw a forest. Identical to this one. And there was a horde of BeastClans that attacked. Its leader slashed your throat and you fell from the air. I couldn’t save you in that vision.”

4.31pm. 7th October.

“I had a vision, too,” he answered. “In three hours, today. You’re going to die. This means we are probably going to die today, together.”

Bordeux was shaking her head. “No. I don’t want to die.” Her eyes now brimmed with tears, and she looked up fearfully at him. “Do you think...We can somehow alter the events such that we won’t die?”

- - - - -

Bordeux stood as still as possible, watching the dragon decoy’s leaf wings flutter in the faint breeze. Above her, somewhere high up in the canopy, Haru was lying in ambush, waiting to launch an all-out aerial attack from above the moment the BeastClans headed towards the decoy dragon. And here, Bordeux was going to use her magic to shield the both of them, and also launch magical attacks whenever she could. This way, the Beasts would not kill them.

“ARGHH!”

The war cry of the Harpy echoed throughout the forest and she hurriedly chanted a shielding spell. An invisible dome of magic covered and camouflaged her against enemies that used scent or heat to detect dragons. The next moment, the Harpy flock dove down into the clearing, sharp spears aimed at the decoy.

Bordeux used her magic to move the decoy a little, and even made it fight back. She had to distract the Harpies while Haru set up an attack above. These magic took a little strain on her mental energy, and just as she thought she could not hold on anymore, there was a whistle and several ice bolts shot down at the Harpies. Within seconds, they were eliminated.

With a satisfied smile, Bordeux stopped her spells and flew out just as Haru swooped down from above. They high-fived each other and smiled at each other.

“Good job,” Haru murmured, hugging her tightly. “We did it!”

-- -- --

A pair that cheated death.

xxxxx11291.png xxxxxxxxxxx star | she/her | fr +15
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xlxdisplay dragon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkillers in the clan
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xlxfriend rising discord
Written for: remnio's Reyna.

“Curiosity killed the cat” has never ever been more true for Reyna. However, the “cats”, figuratively in this case were the dragons of her Clan, the dragons she knew by faint acquaintance. For she was the dragon with a driving force of curiosity to crack all mysterious things about the world, and she would do nothing to obtain the answers she sought. Nothing would stop her, be it dragons or law.

~~ ~~ ~~

Reyna turned her compass over and over in her claws, brows furrowed as she tried to sense what dark and powerful magic there was in this simple contraption. She had found it out of accident on another one of her whimsical travels, and it was her magical sense that had drawn her towards this timepiece. But since then, she still had not found out what made her pick it up among all the junk that was lying around at that time.

Looking up, she saw that the camp was already a hive of bustling activity. Clambering out of her den, she stood and stretched. A few dragons looked her way but most paid her no attention. At least, they seemed not to. Reyna knew that inside, they were wondering what investigation she would be doing today, what mysterious questions she would pursue, and whether she would uncover and bring their secrets to the light. Most of the dragons avoided her, afraid of her sense of curiosity that might place themselves in danger one way or another.

She had already noticed the slip of parchment laid at the entrance of her den, and bent down to pick it up. Unfolding it, she scanned her eyes over the text. Her dark pink eyes narrowed as she comprehended what was scrawled on it in rather untidy handwriting.

Find me at the steps of the Forum. I have a deal to make with you.

It was a simple message, just two sentences, but Reyna smirked and tucked the paper behind her ear. Yet another dragon wanted to meet her. They always offered the same thing, secrets. Especially those about the things she was most interested in finding out at that point of time. In return, they wanted her to use her magic to help them.

As far as Reyna was concerned, she was born with this sense of curiosity. This magic prowess, this hunger for knowledge ran in her very bloodstream and powered her on. Although this very curiosity was what caused the downfall of her parents’ kingdom, she certainly knows how to be careful. Her mind was sharper than the edge of a blade, and her reflexes were faster than light.

Arriving at the steps of the Forum took only a short while, given that her Clan resided in the Wispwillow Grove. She pinpointed her target quickly, as she could always tell. The compass always told her. She never knew why or how, but this compass always seemed to guide her.

The large Nocturne shifted, wings dragging on the dusty rock steps as he moved to regard her coldly. Unfazed by the look in the other dragon’s eyes, Reyna glared back with equal coolness.

“What do you need?” she asked, immediately snapping into attention. She hated wasting time, precious time that could be used to pursue more intriguing puzzles.

The Nocturne seemed to smirk, but in the dark light it appeared more like a leer. “I want you to use your magic and infiltrate the Fortress of Ends. My enemy lies in wait, and he will ambush me if I bring my army. But your magic is strong enough to bring the Fortress’s defences down from the inside.”

Reyna sniggered. “And what makes you think I would do that? No dragon in their good mind would want to go and suffer in that ice field. What have you to offer in this deal, in exchange of my magic?”

The Nocturne leaned close, his dark purple eyes seemingly having unfathomable deepness and darkness. They glinted with a malicious and sly light, and he whispered into her ear, “I have information on how the growth of magic in the recent elemental changes can be harnessed for your own use. What do you think about it? The very power that makes islands of fire bloom from beneath the sea, the very power that grows the storms, the darkness, the light…”

Reyna stepped back, considering. This Nocturne really knew how to please her and coax her into a deal. She grinned, thinking about the knowledge she would gain.

“Yes, alright.”

After all, if this Nocturne knew how to make promises with her, it meant he also knew the consequences of breaking a promise.

Written for: remnio's Reyna.

“Curiosity killed the cat” has never ever been more true for Reyna. However, the “cats”, figuratively in this case were the dragons of her Clan, the dragons she knew by faint acquaintance. For she was the dragon with a driving force of curiosity to crack all mysterious things about the world, and she would do nothing to obtain the answers she sought. Nothing would stop her, be it dragons or law.

~~ ~~ ~~

Reyna turned her compass over and over in her claws, brows furrowed as she tried to sense what dark and powerful magic there was in this simple contraption. She had found it out of accident on another one of her whimsical travels, and it was her magical sense that had drawn her towards this timepiece. But since then, she still had not found out what made her pick it up among all the junk that was lying around at that time.

Looking up, she saw that the camp was already a hive of bustling activity. Clambering out of her den, she stood and stretched. A few dragons looked her way but most paid her no attention. At least, they seemed not to. Reyna knew that inside, they were wondering what investigation she would be doing today, what mysterious questions she would pursue, and whether she would uncover and bring their secrets to the light. Most of the dragons avoided her, afraid of her sense of curiosity that might place themselves in danger one way or another.

She had already noticed the slip of parchment laid at the entrance of her den, and bent down to pick it up. Unfolding it, she scanned her eyes over the text. Her dark pink eyes narrowed as she comprehended what was scrawled on it in rather untidy handwriting.

Find me at the steps of the Forum. I have a deal to make with you.

It was a simple message, just two sentences, but Reyna smirked and tucked the paper behind her ear. Yet another dragon wanted to meet her. They always offered the same thing, secrets. Especially those about the things she was most interested in finding out at that point of time. In return, they wanted her to use her magic to help them.

As far as Reyna was concerned, she was born with this sense of curiosity. This magic prowess, this hunger for knowledge ran in her very bloodstream and powered her on. Although this very curiosity was what caused the downfall of her parents’ kingdom, she certainly knows how to be careful. Her mind was sharper than the edge of a blade, and her reflexes were faster than light.

Arriving at the steps of the Forum took only a short while, given that her Clan resided in the Wispwillow Grove. She pinpointed her target quickly, as she could always tell. The compass always told her. She never knew why or how, but this compass always seemed to guide her.

The large Nocturne shifted, wings dragging on the dusty rock steps as he moved to regard her coldly. Unfazed by the look in the other dragon’s eyes, Reyna glared back with equal coolness.

“What do you need?” she asked, immediately snapping into attention. She hated wasting time, precious time that could be used to pursue more intriguing puzzles.

The Nocturne seemed to smirk, but in the dark light it appeared more like a leer. “I want you to use your magic and infiltrate the Fortress of Ends. My enemy lies in wait, and he will ambush me if I bring my army. But your magic is strong enough to bring the Fortress’s defences down from the inside.”

Reyna sniggered. “And what makes you think I would do that? No dragon in their good mind would want to go and suffer in that ice field. What have you to offer in this deal, in exchange of my magic?”

The Nocturne leaned close, his dark purple eyes seemingly having unfathomable deepness and darkness. They glinted with a malicious and sly light, and he whispered into her ear, “I have information on how the growth of magic in the recent elemental changes can be harnessed for your own use. What do you think about it? The very power that makes islands of fire bloom from beneath the sea, the very power that grows the storms, the darkness, the light…”

Reyna stepped back, considering. This Nocturne really knew how to please her and coax her into a deal. She grinned, thinking about the knowledge she would gain.

“Yes, alright.”

After all, if this Nocturne knew how to make promises with her, it meant he also knew the consequences of breaking a promise.

Written for: ShinyDecidueye's Venom.

From the moment Venom hatched out of the egg, heaps of praise were rained upon her. Dragons congratulated her parents on having “such a gorgeous daughter” and “a rare beauty”. However, everything went wrong when the dragons looked closer and noticed a horrifying mark upon the newborn’s body.

Venomous fangs.

Then came the yells of horror and petrified stares, and all the dragons in the Clan scrambling to get away from her. From her, the unwanted hatchling. From her, the cursed hatchling. From her, the hatchling that could bring harm to the whole Clan.

Thus, from a tender age, Venom already began to learn about loneliness, heartbreak and the pain of betrayal. When those heavy feelings became too much to bear, Venom decided to help herself and stop all the strange stares and mocking jeers. Since the Light dragons were scholars, they should be able to help her. Right?

However, the treatment she received in the Sunbeam Ruins was nothing different from the cold shoulders she got in her travels. She was just about ready to lose all hope when she stumbled upon the dark-colored, broad-shouldered Imperial who changed her life forever.

“A Skydancer with fangs? How interesting. I have never seen a Skydancer like this before,” the Imperial mused to himself.

Venom cast her eyes downward. Did he not know? Did he not suspect? Was he not like the other dragons? Was it possible that he would be the one who could help her?

After explaining her predicament, the Imperial did not react violently like the others had. Instead, his eyes widened in surprise and he cried, “Oh Lightweaver. I swear I’ve just met a special dragon who can control the element of venom! I’ve never thought that it was possible but now I know it is.”

Venom tilted her head. “What do you mean? Control venom? What kind of an ability is that?”

The Imperial leaned in, a little scary to her but she had her corrosive spit to save her if she had to. The Imperial seemed to know that too, for he still kept his distance. “Listen. My name is Wraith. You can come to my Clan with me. Don’t worry, my Clanmates are nice. I’m going to help you with your secret ability.”

~~ ~~ ~~

Venom focused her energy. With a boom, a bolt of venom shot from her mouth and thunked into the rotting log she had been aiming at. She licked her lips - the venom did not affect her - and sat back to review her progress. She was learning how to be stronger and how to use her secret ability to the maximum. According to Wraith, she was gifted with the special ability to control venom, and it was a very strong power.

Wraith’s Clan was welcoming and did not drive her out due to her mutation. They even let her head to the unpopulated forests near the large camp to practise her powers. She did not want to run the risk of harming any of her Clanmates while learning her abilities.

There was a slight rustling in the shrubbery behind her, and she turned. As expected, it was Wraith, coming to call her. He surveyed her work and wordlessly beckoned for her to follow him back to camp. Before she left the clearing, she turned back.

I will come back tomorrow. And if I keep training, I will be stronger and stronger!
Written for: ShinyDecidueye's Venom.

From the moment Venom hatched out of the egg, heaps of praise were rained upon her. Dragons congratulated her parents on having “such a gorgeous daughter” and “a rare beauty”. However, everything went wrong when the dragons looked closer and noticed a horrifying mark upon the newborn’s body.

Venomous fangs.

Then came the yells of horror and petrified stares, and all the dragons in the Clan scrambling to get away from her. From her, the unwanted hatchling. From her, the cursed hatchling. From her, the hatchling that could bring harm to the whole Clan.

Thus, from a tender age, Venom already began to learn about loneliness, heartbreak and the pain of betrayal. When those heavy feelings became too much to bear, Venom decided to help herself and stop all the strange stares and mocking jeers. Since the Light dragons were scholars, they should be able to help her. Right?

However, the treatment she received in the Sunbeam Ruins was nothing different from the cold shoulders she got in her travels. She was just about ready to lose all hope when she stumbled upon the dark-colored, broad-shouldered Imperial who changed her life forever.

“A Skydancer with fangs? How interesting. I have never seen a Skydancer like this before,” the Imperial mused to himself.

Venom cast her eyes downward. Did he not know? Did he not suspect? Was he not like the other dragons? Was it possible that he would be the one who could help her?

After explaining her predicament, the Imperial did not react violently like the others had. Instead, his eyes widened in surprise and he cried, “Oh Lightweaver. I swear I’ve just met a special dragon who can control the element of venom! I’ve never thought that it was possible but now I know it is.”

Venom tilted her head. “What do you mean? Control venom? What kind of an ability is that?”

The Imperial leaned in, a little scary to her but she had her corrosive spit to save her if she had to. The Imperial seemed to know that too, for he still kept his distance. “Listen. My name is Wraith. You can come to my Clan with me. Don’t worry, my Clanmates are nice. I’m going to help you with your secret ability.”

~~ ~~ ~~

Venom focused her energy. With a boom, a bolt of venom shot from her mouth and thunked into the rotting log she had been aiming at. She licked her lips - the venom did not affect her - and sat back to review her progress. She was learning how to be stronger and how to use her secret ability to the maximum. According to Wraith, she was gifted with the special ability to control venom, and it was a very strong power.

Wraith’s Clan was welcoming and did not drive her out due to her mutation. They even let her head to the unpopulated forests near the large camp to practise her powers. She did not want to run the risk of harming any of her Clanmates while learning her abilities.

There was a slight rustling in the shrubbery behind her, and she turned. As expected, it was Wraith, coming to call her. He surveyed her work and wordlessly beckoned for her to follow him back to camp. Before she left the clearing, she turned back.

I will come back tomorrow. And if I keep training, I will be stronger and stronger!
Written for: Theophilus's Amadeus.

Amadeus flipped through his book. Written inside in careful, neat handwriting were the many spells, learning points and stepping stones across his time of learning magic. Stopping at a blank page, he smoothed it. Dipping his pen into ink, he began writing.

Today, I managed to practice my magic on the isles. Father said that he and Mother used to go there to practice as well. Since my instrument is different from theirs, I need to learn more and learn differently to master my magic! Father says that my instrument is surely different and unique.

Setting down his pen, he stared into the candle, watching its flame wave back and forth. The magic that ran in his veins, the magic that his family was renowned for was just like a candle flame, burning with passion and power, yet having the steady rhythm and beat of music.

A click sounded behind him, and he turned to see his father, Lucas, stepping into his room. The older Fae’s skin glowed with the light of stars, mirrored on Amadeus’s scales, and he was beaming at seeing Amadeus hard at work.

“Done practising for today?” Lucas asked, sitting down beside his son.

“Yes,” Amadeus nodded, a grin spreading across his face. “You should have seen it, no one has ever seen more Fallen Streaks circling the Isles before I practised my magic today. It was amazing!”

Lucas nodded thoughtfully in approval. “I think you’re making good progress. Tell you what, when your mom and I go to the Observatory tomorrow, you can come with us.”

Amadeus was barely able to contain his elation. His parents were only invited to the Observatory maybe once or twice each season, because of their magic and prowess, and they helped the scholars document the musical magic aspect of their studies. And now, he, Amadeus, their son, could go with them!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Amadeus waited outside the Observatory with his parents, flapping his wings harder than usual due to his excitement and nervousness. His magic, although still musical, was different from his parents’. His mother, Varia, said that he was blessed with more magic when he hatched from his egg, thus he had a unique and special form of musical magic.

A scholar opened the doors for them and ushered them inside. Amadeus followed his parents, looking around at the curving walls and towering telescopes with awe. They entered a room set in the side of the slanted wall, a room covered with the sweet magenta of Arcane and humming with magical energy.

The scholar at the desk, a female Fae named Blue, stood up to greet the family. Lucas and Varia set down their instruments on the table for Blue to inspect, and Blue’s deep pink eyes widened when she saw Amadeus.

“Is he…?” Blue asked.

“Yes, he’s our son, the one I’ve told you about,” Lucas answered, a hint of pride in his tone. Amadeus shifted anxiously and wondered what about him his father had told this scholar. “I believe his powers are strong now.”

Blue nodded her head in interest. “Okay, let’s take him down to the menagerie and see how the familiars respond to his music. Come on.”

Amadeus followed the Fae down the stairs to an open area where there were many many Fallen Streaks, Jewelled Octoflyers, Petal Jumpers… Amadeus couldn’t count all of them. His heartbeat quickened as he realised that Blue was giving him a test, to work his magic and see how these creatures respond.

He licked his lips nervously, glancing at his parents. Lucas gave him a nod, and Varia smiled reassuringly.

Blue looked him over. “You don’t have an instrument?” the Fae asked, addressing Amadeus for once instead of his parents.

Amadeus shook his head. “My magic doesn’t need instruments… Instruments that I have to bring along, that is.”

Blue nodded in affirmation, curiosity filling her gaze, as she walked to stand with Amadeus’s parents.

Well, here goes nothing, Amadeus thought to himself as he started chanting, seeing the threads of magic, magic that only he could see. He chanted faster and faster, the threads glowing brighter and brighter. He reached out to the glowing threads and played them like he would with a violin.

When the tunes of his song faded away, Amadeus was stunned to see all the familiars crowding past the fence and sitting around and on him, their eyes filled with emotion. They seemed disappointed that the music ended, and they all slowly headed back to the menagerie as Blue, Lucas and Varia approached.

“That was stunning,” Varia gushed. “I never knew my little boy could be so powerful and influential!” Even Lucas seemed to inflate with a father’s pride.

Blue directed them back to the room, and there they waited while Blue discussed the results of the menagerie experiment with other scholars in the same field. Amadeus’s parents never stopped praising him, but he was more anxious to know the results from Blue.

Finally, the Fae came in, glasses perched on her nose and a clipboard clutched in her claws. Her eyes were shining with excitement.

“We’ve realised that Amadeus’s magic is not using magic to play instruments, not physical instruments at least.”

Blue leaned closer.

“Amadeus plays heartstrings.”

Written for: Theophilus's Amadeus.

Amadeus flipped through his book. Written inside in careful, neat handwriting were the many spells, learning points and stepping stones across his time of learning magic. Stopping at a blank page, he smoothed it. Dipping his pen into ink, he began writing.

Today, I managed to practice my magic on the isles. Father said that he and Mother used to go there to practice as well. Since my instrument is different from theirs, I need to learn more and learn differently to master my magic! Father says that my instrument is surely different and unique.

Setting down his pen, he stared into the candle, watching its flame wave back and forth. The magic that ran in his veins, the magic that his family was renowned for was just like a candle flame, burning with passion and power, yet having the steady rhythm and beat of music.

A click sounded behind him, and he turned to see his father, Lucas, stepping into his room. The older Fae’s skin glowed with the light of stars, mirrored on Amadeus’s scales, and he was beaming at seeing Amadeus hard at work.

“Done practising for today?” Lucas asked, sitting down beside his son.

“Yes,” Amadeus nodded, a grin spreading across his face. “You should have seen it, no one has ever seen more Fallen Streaks circling the Isles before I practised my magic today. It was amazing!”

Lucas nodded thoughtfully in approval. “I think you’re making good progress. Tell you what, when your mom and I go to the Observatory tomorrow, you can come with us.”

Amadeus was barely able to contain his elation. His parents were only invited to the Observatory maybe once or twice each season, because of their magic and prowess, and they helped the scholars document the musical magic aspect of their studies. And now, he, Amadeus, their son, could go with them!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Amadeus waited outside the Observatory with his parents, flapping his wings harder than usual due to his excitement and nervousness. His magic, although still musical, was different from his parents’. His mother, Varia, said that he was blessed with more magic when he hatched from his egg, thus he had a unique and special form of musical magic.

A scholar opened the doors for them and ushered them inside. Amadeus followed his parents, looking around at the curving walls and towering telescopes with awe. They entered a room set in the side of the slanted wall, a room covered with the sweet magenta of Arcane and humming with magical energy.

The scholar at the desk, a female Fae named Blue, stood up to greet the family. Lucas and Varia set down their instruments on the table for Blue to inspect, and Blue’s deep pink eyes widened when she saw Amadeus.

“Is he…?” Blue asked.

“Yes, he’s our son, the one I’ve told you about,” Lucas answered, a hint of pride in his tone. Amadeus shifted anxiously and wondered what about him his father had told this scholar. “I believe his powers are strong now.”

Blue nodded her head in interest. “Okay, let’s take him down to the menagerie and see how the familiars respond to his music. Come on.”

Amadeus followed the Fae down the stairs to an open area where there were many many Fallen Streaks, Jewelled Octoflyers, Petal Jumpers… Amadeus couldn’t count all of them. His heartbeat quickened as he realised that Blue was giving him a test, to work his magic and see how these creatures respond.

He licked his lips nervously, glancing at his parents. Lucas gave him a nod, and Varia smiled reassuringly.

Blue looked him over. “You don’t have an instrument?” the Fae asked, addressing Amadeus for once instead of his parents.

Amadeus shook his head. “My magic doesn’t need instruments… Instruments that I have to bring along, that is.”

Blue nodded in affirmation, curiosity filling her gaze, as she walked to stand with Amadeus’s parents.

Well, here goes nothing, Amadeus thought to himself as he started chanting, seeing the threads of magic, magic that only he could see. He chanted faster and faster, the threads glowing brighter and brighter. He reached out to the glowing threads and played them like he would with a violin.

When the tunes of his song faded away, Amadeus was stunned to see all the familiars crowding past the fence and sitting around and on him, their eyes filled with emotion. They seemed disappointed that the music ended, and they all slowly headed back to the menagerie as Blue, Lucas and Varia approached.

“That was stunning,” Varia gushed. “I never knew my little boy could be so powerful and influential!” Even Lucas seemed to inflate with a father’s pride.

Blue directed them back to the room, and there they waited while Blue discussed the results of the menagerie experiment with other scholars in the same field. Amadeus’s parents never stopped praising him, but he was more anxious to know the results from Blue.

Finally, the Fae came in, glasses perched on her nose and a clipboard clutched in her claws. Her eyes were shining with excitement.

“We’ve realised that Amadeus’s magic is not using magic to play instruments, not physical instruments at least.”

Blue leaned closer.

“Amadeus plays heartstrings.”

Written for: Oreosalad's Clover.

Clover grew up never knowing who his blood parents were. His father, Malzahar, had been the feared warrior hundreds of years prior, the warrior who caused others to cower at his claws and sharp, glowing gaze. But he knew that Malzahar, bored and lonely, had found him and his brother Nag in the rubble of a nest raid, and chose to take in the two of them. For Clover, he didn’t need to know or didn’t care who his blood parents were. His duty was to Malzahar and Malzahar alone, just as the Spiral cared and raised him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Father, what is this?” Clover glanced at Nag as his brother trotted into the room, holding a strange piece of metal. It glinted gold, though it was a little rusted. Clover reached out and tapped the strange metal.

“Where did you find that?” Malzahar asked, sounding amazed. He stepped forward and took the metal from Nag.

“Well, uh,” Nag paused. Clover exchanged a panicked glance with Nag. They both knew how their father opposed to them exploring and poking around where their noses didn’t belong. If Malzahar knew that Nag had gotten this metal from a place he wasn’t supposed to go…

“This used to be mine,” Malzahar spoke as he turned the metal around, his voice full of nostalgia. “I remember I used to wear this with pride and strike fear into the hearts of my enemies.”

Clover glanced at Nag, wondering what in the world their father was talking about.

“What are you talking about, Father?” Clover ventured.

“My life in the past,” Malzahar turned to his sons and smiled warmly. “Before I found the two of you.”

“What was it like?” Nag asked curiously, surprised to know that their father had had another lifestyle before he started raising the two of them.

Malzahar looked around. “Well, better make yourselves comfortable. It’s going to take some time to tell.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Father was a warrior,” Clover whispered, eyes watching the ceiling as the firelight flickered by his bedside.

“Yeah,” Nag answered, from his bed on the other side of the room.

“Do you think we can be warriors too?” Clover wondered. “Maybe not the conquering world kind of warrior like Father was, but we can be warriors who use magic to fight and defend ourselves.”

“Magic?” Nag’s voice was full of curiosity as he leaned on his claws to look at Clover. “Like… Arcane magic?”

“Stars?” Clover huffed a little. “No, I’m not interested in stars. I’m going to do light magic. Like that warrior Father mentioned… Paladin.”

“Paladin,” Nag repeated. “Oh… But I like arcane magic more.”

“That’s alright,” Clover answered brightly. “We can learn different types of magic. We can learn any magic we want!”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Clover shot a bolt of light from his claws, which shattered into a tree a few metres away and left the tree smoking. He clicked his tongue and moved his claws around, and the clearing instantly darkened.

“Good job,” Malzahar’s approving voice sounded behind him, and Clover eased out of his battle stance. Now that he was done practicing, it was time to return home.

“That was great,” Nag commented, coming up beside him as the two of them followed their Spiral father. “I’ll need to practice on my runes though.”

“Don’t worry, I believe you’ll be a great Magus one day,” Clover answered. “And on that day, I’ll be the greatest Paladin there ever was!”

Clover high-fived his brother. “We’ll get there someday.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Clover, my son,” Malzahar’s voice was deep and solemn. “I believe today is the day you have proven that your manipulation and mastery of the light magic is powerful and strong. I declare you a Paladin!”

Clover smiled, unable to keep in his joy. All the hard work he had put in, ever since that day Nag found the metal - an armour piece - was finally worth it. He met the eyes of his brother, who had just been declared a Magus. They shared victorious smiles and looked towards the horizon, the land beyond the forest they were raised in, the land they would one day reach and conquer.
Written for: Oreosalad's Clover.

Clover grew up never knowing who his blood parents were. His father, Malzahar, had been the feared warrior hundreds of years prior, the warrior who caused others to cower at his claws and sharp, glowing gaze. But he knew that Malzahar, bored and lonely, had found him and his brother Nag in the rubble of a nest raid, and chose to take in the two of them. For Clover, he didn’t need to know or didn’t care who his blood parents were. His duty was to Malzahar and Malzahar alone, just as the Spiral cared and raised him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Father, what is this?” Clover glanced at Nag as his brother trotted into the room, holding a strange piece of metal. It glinted gold, though it was a little rusted. Clover reached out and tapped the strange metal.

“Where did you find that?” Malzahar asked, sounding amazed. He stepped forward and took the metal from Nag.

“Well, uh,” Nag paused. Clover exchanged a panicked glance with Nag. They both knew how their father opposed to them exploring and poking around where their noses didn’t belong. If Malzahar knew that Nag had gotten this metal from a place he wasn’t supposed to go…

“This used to be mine,” Malzahar spoke as he turned the metal around, his voice full of nostalgia. “I remember I used to wear this with pride and strike fear into the hearts of my enemies.”

Clover glanced at Nag, wondering what in the world their father was talking about.

“What are you talking about, Father?” Clover ventured.

“My life in the past,” Malzahar turned to his sons and smiled warmly. “Before I found the two of you.”

“What was it like?” Nag asked curiously, surprised to know that their father had had another lifestyle before he started raising the two of them.

Malzahar looked around. “Well, better make yourselves comfortable. It’s going to take some time to tell.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Father was a warrior,” Clover whispered, eyes watching the ceiling as the firelight flickered by his bedside.

“Yeah,” Nag answered, from his bed on the other side of the room.

“Do you think we can be warriors too?” Clover wondered. “Maybe not the conquering world kind of warrior like Father was, but we can be warriors who use magic to fight and defend ourselves.”

“Magic?” Nag’s voice was full of curiosity as he leaned on his claws to look at Clover. “Like… Arcane magic?”

“Stars?” Clover huffed a little. “No, I’m not interested in stars. I’m going to do light magic. Like that warrior Father mentioned… Paladin.”

“Paladin,” Nag repeated. “Oh… But I like arcane magic more.”

“That’s alright,” Clover answered brightly. “We can learn different types of magic. We can learn any magic we want!”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Clover shot a bolt of light from his claws, which shattered into a tree a few metres away and left the tree smoking. He clicked his tongue and moved his claws around, and the clearing instantly darkened.

“Good job,” Malzahar’s approving voice sounded behind him, and Clover eased out of his battle stance. Now that he was done practicing, it was time to return home.

“That was great,” Nag commented, coming up beside him as the two of them followed their Spiral father. “I’ll need to practice on my runes though.”

“Don’t worry, I believe you’ll be a great Magus one day,” Clover answered. “And on that day, I’ll be the greatest Paladin there ever was!”

Clover high-fived his brother. “We’ll get there someday.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Clover, my son,” Malzahar’s voice was deep and solemn. “I believe today is the day you have proven that your manipulation and mastery of the light magic is powerful and strong. I declare you a Paladin!”

Clover smiled, unable to keep in his joy. All the hard work he had put in, ever since that day Nag found the metal - an armour piece - was finally worth it. He met the eyes of his brother, who had just been declared a Magus. They shared victorious smiles and looked towards the horizon, the land beyond the forest they were raised in, the land they would one day reach and conquer.
1 2 3