Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Blazefire Library Archives [DNP]
1 2 3
Archives for my PWYW writing shop, Blazefire Library.

Please do not post here!

If you like my style of writing, feel free to go to the shop and order a piece! XD
Archives for my PWYW writing shop, Blazefire Library.

Please do not post here!

If you like my style of writing, feel free to go to the shop and order a piece! XD
xxxxx11291.png xxxxxxxxxxx star | she/her | fr +15
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xlxdisplay dragon
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkillers in the clan
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xlxfriend rising discord
Written for: Scorporius's Shalkett.

Carefully setting aside the dusty tome, Shalkett reached up to the shelf beside him to take the next one. His master, Ossi, the lorekeeper and librarian, had ordered him to copy down the texts from the most ancient scrolls in the library. Good news was that he could read about interesting tidbits of history that made him so engrossed he forgot about the tedious job of copying. Bad news was that the scrolls were extremely old and brittle.

He took down the large book cautiously, watching it as he carried it to his table. He could not risk damaging any of these old scrolls, or he might not hear the end of it from Ossi. That Imperial was meticulous and systematic, and if anything bothered him, he would make sure it did not happen again.

Lost in his thoughts, Shalkett had a large shock when the book thunked onto the table harder than it should. Gasping, Shalkett looked the book over in every possible direction, making sure not a single page was jarred out of position.

Feeling a little weary, he stood up and walked towards the exit of the vast library. Ossi was working on documenting the scavenging team’s goods on the other side of the library, and Shalkett was sure his master would not mind if he took a small break.

He flew towards the Clan gardens, glad to be stretching his wings after long hours of being cooped up in the library. The sun warmed his back and the wind caressed his face, bringing along with it the scent of freshly bloomed flowers.

Shalkett landed cautiously on the path, making sure his wings did not brush any of the floral arrangements. Walking along the stone path, he admired the pale orchids, large tulips and lush roses. Seeing the flashes of color and smelling the fragrance of the blooms helped soothe him and take his mind off the workload.

He raised his head to the sky, taking a large breath. He was filled with a sense of calm, a thought of peace, a reminder that no matter how hectic his apprenticeship got, he still had time to come and relax, to take things slower for once.

“Time to go back now,” Shalkett told himself. Turning, he flew away in the direction of the library, going back to its tall shelves and thick books.

Written for: Scorporius's Shalkett.

Carefully setting aside the dusty tome, Shalkett reached up to the shelf beside him to take the next one. His master, Ossi, the lorekeeper and librarian, had ordered him to copy down the texts from the most ancient scrolls in the library. Good news was that he could read about interesting tidbits of history that made him so engrossed he forgot about the tedious job of copying. Bad news was that the scrolls were extremely old and brittle.

He took down the large book cautiously, watching it as he carried it to his table. He could not risk damaging any of these old scrolls, or he might not hear the end of it from Ossi. That Imperial was meticulous and systematic, and if anything bothered him, he would make sure it did not happen again.

Lost in his thoughts, Shalkett had a large shock when the book thunked onto the table harder than it should. Gasping, Shalkett looked the book over in every possible direction, making sure not a single page was jarred out of position.

Feeling a little weary, he stood up and walked towards the exit of the vast library. Ossi was working on documenting the scavenging team’s goods on the other side of the library, and Shalkett was sure his master would not mind if he took a small break.

He flew towards the Clan gardens, glad to be stretching his wings after long hours of being cooped up in the library. The sun warmed his back and the wind caressed his face, bringing along with it the scent of freshly bloomed flowers.

Shalkett landed cautiously on the path, making sure his wings did not brush any of the floral arrangements. Walking along the stone path, he admired the pale orchids, large tulips and lush roses. Seeing the flashes of color and smelling the fragrance of the blooms helped soothe him and take his mind off the workload.

He raised his head to the sky, taking a large breath. He was filled with a sense of calm, a thought of peace, a reminder that no matter how hectic his apprenticeship got, he still had time to come and relax, to take things slower for once.

“Time to go back now,” Shalkett told himself. Turning, he flew away in the direction of the library, going back to its tall shelves and thick books.

Written for: Chaosdragoness's Gabriel.

“We are a Clan of warriors that do not falter under the searing sun or the pouring rain. We are a Clan of gladiators who fight for the glory of our Clan.”

Gabriel’s mouth moved mechanically as he recited the warriors pledge of the Clan. However, even though his voice was loud, so were his thoughts.

From young, he had always been passionate about learning to be a dancer. He had not told about this to anyone yet, for fear of being scorned at or even exiled. His birth Clan was a Clan of warriors, and one of the most ferocious in the region at that. He knew his parents expected him to follow in their footsteps.

Now that he was uttering the very words that bound him to the warriors guild of the Clan, he did not know what to feel. Was this giving up his dream of becoming a dancer forever? Was this marking a turning point into the profession of warfare, one he did not have any interest to pursue?

That night, he tossed and turned in bed, sleepless as a thousand thoughts crammed for space in his head. He wanted to let everyone know about his dream, but was it too late to back out of the warriors guild? What if he was ridiculed and jeered at? What could he do then?

Ironically, joining the warriors guild brought about a turning point in his life. Half a year into serving as a Clan warrior, Gabriel received a solo mission. He was to go to the Tangled Wood and investigate on the notorious Clanless pirates that had begun to raid travelers and natives alike. Excited and full of anticipation at this important job, he set off.

What he wished to be a successful mission turned out quite differently than he expected. A few hours into entering the Tangled Wood, he was attacked by the pirates. He fought them off using his exceptional warrior skills, but the wounds they left on him were not mere scratches. Exhausted, Gabriel gathered whatever remaining supplies he had and tried to make camp.

“Oh no, are you one of the pirate victims? Come here, come in! You need to rest and recuperate. You look quite the sight!” An astonished voice caught his attention. Drowsy, he let himself be led into the Clan camp, where he was given nourishment.

The next day, just as he was about to leave, some music caught his ears. Turning, he saw a swift and elegant Imperial swaying and swirling to a fast beat music. Entranced, Gabriel watched, immersed in the sweet melody and mesmerized by the Imperial’s graceful moves.

“Do you like my dancing, young visitor?” The Imperial paused and walked up to him. “Many say my dancing is beautiful. What do you think?”

The Imperial told him about how he himself was ostracized by his love of dancing. How he had suffered the pain of rejection but fought through it to come here and find a place for himself. His words resounded deeply in Gabriel’s head even hours after he departed the Clan.

“I may be a warrior, but I can choose my own path,” he told himself. “Just like Zephyr did, I’m sure I can stand up for myself and do what I want to do, and be what I want to be.”

As he looked up at the darkening sky, he decided what he should do. Turning, he headed back in the direction of the Umbra Sanguis Clan.

Written for: Chaosdragoness's Gabriel.

“We are a Clan of warriors that do not falter under the searing sun or the pouring rain. We are a Clan of gladiators who fight for the glory of our Clan.”

Gabriel’s mouth moved mechanically as he recited the warriors pledge of the Clan. However, even though his voice was loud, so were his thoughts.

From young, he had always been passionate about learning to be a dancer. He had not told about this to anyone yet, for fear of being scorned at or even exiled. His birth Clan was a Clan of warriors, and one of the most ferocious in the region at that. He knew his parents expected him to follow in their footsteps.

Now that he was uttering the very words that bound him to the warriors guild of the Clan, he did not know what to feel. Was this giving up his dream of becoming a dancer forever? Was this marking a turning point into the profession of warfare, one he did not have any interest to pursue?

That night, he tossed and turned in bed, sleepless as a thousand thoughts crammed for space in his head. He wanted to let everyone know about his dream, but was it too late to back out of the warriors guild? What if he was ridiculed and jeered at? What could he do then?

Ironically, joining the warriors guild brought about a turning point in his life. Half a year into serving as a Clan warrior, Gabriel received a solo mission. He was to go to the Tangled Wood and investigate on the notorious Clanless pirates that had begun to raid travelers and natives alike. Excited and full of anticipation at this important job, he set off.

What he wished to be a successful mission turned out quite differently than he expected. A few hours into entering the Tangled Wood, he was attacked by the pirates. He fought them off using his exceptional warrior skills, but the wounds they left on him were not mere scratches. Exhausted, Gabriel gathered whatever remaining supplies he had and tried to make camp.

“Oh no, are you one of the pirate victims? Come here, come in! You need to rest and recuperate. You look quite the sight!” An astonished voice caught his attention. Drowsy, he let himself be led into the Clan camp, where he was given nourishment.

The next day, just as he was about to leave, some music caught his ears. Turning, he saw a swift and elegant Imperial swaying and swirling to a fast beat music. Entranced, Gabriel watched, immersed in the sweet melody and mesmerized by the Imperial’s graceful moves.

“Do you like my dancing, young visitor?” The Imperial paused and walked up to him. “Many say my dancing is beautiful. What do you think?”

The Imperial told him about how he himself was ostracized by his love of dancing. How he had suffered the pain of rejection but fought through it to come here and find a place for himself. His words resounded deeply in Gabriel’s head even hours after he departed the Clan.

“I may be a warrior, but I can choose my own path,” he told himself. “Just like Zephyr did, I’m sure I can stand up for myself and do what I want to do, and be what I want to be.”

As he looked up at the darkening sky, he decided what he should do. Turning, he headed back in the direction of the Umbra Sanguis Clan.

Written for: Pastelbvtts's Pendragon.

Pendragon ground the herbs into the pot, turning the plants into a mixture. Taking a jug of water, he carefully poured some water into the pot. Just as he was about to mix the herbs with the water, the door to his cavern opened.

Munana came towards him, using his presence and powerful aura to locate him in the room. Her Garden Watcher followed her inside.

“What do you need, dear?” Pendragon asked, setting his pot aside. “Are you going to the gardens?”

Munana nodded, a faint smile on her lips. “You know me best, Pendragon. Come on, let’s go.”

As the two of them strolled outside the camp grounds, the mushrooms illuminated Munana’s face and made Pendragon think back about the special day they first met.

- - - - -

Pendragon was extremely weary of traveling. He had left his home Clan days ago to find somewhere new to practice his healing at. Not that he was unwanted in his old Clan. He simply wanted some taste of adventure and see where fate led him to.

He reached the Tangled Wood, unsure of what to expect. He knew the dragons here were rumored to be notorious tricksters, and he did not want to risk any of his supplies being taken away.

Hearing footsteps of a dragon crashing through the undergrowth, alarm shot through his veins. Rapidly, his eyes darted around for a good hiding spot. He scrambled up a small pine tree, hoping that the darkness and the scent of the surroundings would mask his presence. He had barely gotten his long body concealed in the darkness when the dragon appeared.

It was another Spiral, a female. Her body was the color of the darkest night and her wings were the shade of beautiful purple. If not for her cyan eyes, Pendragon would not have noticed her properly. However, as he squinted closer, he noticed that her eyes were blank, unseeing and blind. That explained her crashing and stumbling through the landscape. Overall, there was a feeling, a familiar sense about her that he could not place.

“Who’s there?” The Spiral asked, her voice soft and gentle yet tinged with wariness. Shocked that she had noticed him, Pendragon tried to sneak down the tree but ended up doing an unceremonial tumble down - right in front of the Spiral.

The Spiral looked down at him, and he swore she could see his soul clearly through the piercing turquoise eyes. After a while, she said, “Your aura…I think…I recall you from somewhere, but I don’t remember where. What’s your name?”

“P...Pendragon,” he stammered.

“Well, you are not very good at being sneaky,” she commented, voice full of humor and amusement. Pendragon laughed a little. The more she talked, the more she moved, the more Pendragon thought he had seen her somewhere previously. Her demeanor and personality triggered a very distant memory he could not clearly recall.

- - - - -

“Thinking about something, Pendragon?” Munana’s quiet and kind voice jolted him out from his thoughts. “Come on. We should go back now.”

Pendragon nodded, answering, “Yes, we should.”

Looping his arm in hers, the two Spirals slowly headed back to the camp.

Written for: Pastelbvtts's Pendragon.

Pendragon ground the herbs into the pot, turning the plants into a mixture. Taking a jug of water, he carefully poured some water into the pot. Just as he was about to mix the herbs with the water, the door to his cavern opened.

Munana came towards him, using his presence and powerful aura to locate him in the room. Her Garden Watcher followed her inside.

“What do you need, dear?” Pendragon asked, setting his pot aside. “Are you going to the gardens?”

Munana nodded, a faint smile on her lips. “You know me best, Pendragon. Come on, let’s go.”

As the two of them strolled outside the camp grounds, the mushrooms illuminated Munana’s face and made Pendragon think back about the special day they first met.

- - - - -

Pendragon was extremely weary of traveling. He had left his home Clan days ago to find somewhere new to practice his healing at. Not that he was unwanted in his old Clan. He simply wanted some taste of adventure and see where fate led him to.

He reached the Tangled Wood, unsure of what to expect. He knew the dragons here were rumored to be notorious tricksters, and he did not want to risk any of his supplies being taken away.

Hearing footsteps of a dragon crashing through the undergrowth, alarm shot through his veins. Rapidly, his eyes darted around for a good hiding spot. He scrambled up a small pine tree, hoping that the darkness and the scent of the surroundings would mask his presence. He had barely gotten his long body concealed in the darkness when the dragon appeared.

It was another Spiral, a female. Her body was the color of the darkest night and her wings were the shade of beautiful purple. If not for her cyan eyes, Pendragon would not have noticed her properly. However, as he squinted closer, he noticed that her eyes were blank, unseeing and blind. That explained her crashing and stumbling through the landscape. Overall, there was a feeling, a familiar sense about her that he could not place.

“Who’s there?” The Spiral asked, her voice soft and gentle yet tinged with wariness. Shocked that she had noticed him, Pendragon tried to sneak down the tree but ended up doing an unceremonial tumble down - right in front of the Spiral.

The Spiral looked down at him, and he swore she could see his soul clearly through the piercing turquoise eyes. After a while, she said, “Your aura…I think…I recall you from somewhere, but I don’t remember where. What’s your name?”

“P...Pendragon,” he stammered.

“Well, you are not very good at being sneaky,” she commented, voice full of humor and amusement. Pendragon laughed a little. The more she talked, the more she moved, the more Pendragon thought he had seen her somewhere previously. Her demeanor and personality triggered a very distant memory he could not clearly recall.

- - - - -

“Thinking about something, Pendragon?” Munana’s quiet and kind voice jolted him out from his thoughts. “Come on. We should go back now.”

Pendragon nodded, answering, “Yes, we should.”

Looping his arm in hers, the two Spirals slowly headed back to the camp.

Written for: Redtiger7736's Midnight.

January 4
I left Inksplash’s Clan. They seemed dignified and welcoming at first, but soon proved no different compared to the previous “scholarly” Clans I’ve met. Stuck up and obnoxious. Always the same. I think I’m going to try traveling a bit further this time. If Father were here, he’d tell me the same thing.

January 6
I’m traveling at a good pace. I don’t have much of a destination in mind, I’m just really going where the winds are taking me. I hope doing so would make my trip more exciting.

January 10
The winds have carried me down to the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The climate here is similar to home - watery and cool. The hunting here is good too, except that the Maren are quite a problem.

January 15
I was raided by thieves, and lost nearly all my belongings. Luckily, I managed to save my journal, pens, ink and the most amount of food I could. I think it’s time to leave the Sea.

January 17
Now I am at the Tangled Wood. I can’t say this place is great, with threats of raiders looming in every corner. I can’t really hunt in the darkness, and my food stores are running low.

January 23
My food stores are dangerously low now. I’m saving the last bits for emergencies. I’ve left the Tangled Wood and am now at the Sunbeam Ruins.

January 30
The Sunbeam Ruins is better, but not much. It’s too bright compared to the darkness of the Wood. There are a lot of BeastClans here, too.

February 3
Was deciding to travel aimlessly a good idea? I’m not prepared for all the dangers I have faced and am going to face.

February 9
I can barely hunt anymore. All Clans I’ve met don’t care about me. I don’t think…

February 16
I don’t feel well. I think I’m sick. Was it really a good idea to travel like this?

February 24
It’s been more than a month. I don’t think I can keep going. Is one step off the cliff a good way to escape it all?

February 28
I’ve reached the Shifting Expanse. The desert. How worse can this be?

March 4
It’s been two months. I don’t think I can keep going anymore.

June 1
I remember. I remember it all. Who I am. What I was supposed to do. I can remember.
I’m in a new Clan now, a Clan that decided to take me in. I hope my writing skills can be of use to them. They are very nice dragons, and I wish to stay with them.

Written for: Redtiger7736's Midnight.

January 4
I left Inksplash’s Clan. They seemed dignified and welcoming at first, but soon proved no different compared to the previous “scholarly” Clans I’ve met. Stuck up and obnoxious. Always the same. I think I’m going to try traveling a bit further this time. If Father were here, he’d tell me the same thing.

January 6
I’m traveling at a good pace. I don’t have much of a destination in mind, I’m just really going where the winds are taking me. I hope doing so would make my trip more exciting.

January 10
The winds have carried me down to the Sea of a Thousand Currents. The climate here is similar to home - watery and cool. The hunting here is good too, except that the Maren are quite a problem.

January 15
I was raided by thieves, and lost nearly all my belongings. Luckily, I managed to save my journal, pens, ink and the most amount of food I could. I think it’s time to leave the Sea.

January 17
Now I am at the Tangled Wood. I can’t say this place is great, with threats of raiders looming in every corner. I can’t really hunt in the darkness, and my food stores are running low.

January 23
My food stores are dangerously low now. I’m saving the last bits for emergencies. I’ve left the Tangled Wood and am now at the Sunbeam Ruins.

January 30
The Sunbeam Ruins is better, but not much. It’s too bright compared to the darkness of the Wood. There are a lot of BeastClans here, too.

February 3
Was deciding to travel aimlessly a good idea? I’m not prepared for all the dangers I have faced and am going to face.

February 9
I can barely hunt anymore. All Clans I’ve met don’t care about me. I don’t think…

February 16
I don’t feel well. I think I’m sick. Was it really a good idea to travel like this?

February 24
It’s been more than a month. I don’t think I can keep going. Is one step off the cliff a good way to escape it all?

February 28
I’ve reached the Shifting Expanse. The desert. How worse can this be?

March 4
It’s been two months. I don’t think I can keep going anymore.

June 1
I remember. I remember it all. Who I am. What I was supposed to do. I can remember.
I’m in a new Clan now, a Clan that decided to take me in. I hope my writing skills can be of use to them. They are very nice dragons, and I wish to stay with them.

Written for: imuumi's Solace.

Solace stumbled through the darkness of the Tangled Wood, her eyes straining to find a way out, any ray of light. The darkness was choking her and she could not breathe. She had to get out.

A speck glimmered in the distance, getting brighter and larger as she went closer. She could almost feel the heat and strength of the light. Breathing in anticipation, she headed closer and closer, pulling back the last leaves to reveal the source of the light.

A large, sparkling palace, seemingly made out of gold. It shone with the light of a thousand suns, and the windows reflected rainbows. The gleam nearly blinded her eyes, but she could not tear her eyes away from the majestic structure.

Her heart filled with a yearning, a strong desire to obtain something as great as that. Her mind calculated her plans, her flawless plans that always got her what she wanted. Her eyes narrowed and a smirk played on her lips.

-- -- --

The Mirror from the tavern came back a few days later to meet her again, and in his arms he held a Tundra hatchling. As the baby's eyes opened, she saw its eyes were a gleaming strong shade of yellow. Its fur was the shade of dark gold and its body was the colour of the gold palace she had seen before.

Taking the Tundra, she went back to her hideout. She stroked the baby’s fluffy fur and reviewed her carefully thought out plans. With this Tundra, she could get what she wanted. Exactly like what the Mirror had said. A mere pawn.

She looked outside, where the gleam of the palace left a bright echo on the darkening sky. In her mind she saw again the first sight she had of that kingdom, the one so great it was a waste that its rulers were so weak and naive.

“Soon, soon,” she promised herself, claws moving rhythmically across the Tundra’s pelt. “Soon, this kingdom will be mine.”
Written for: imuumi's Solace.

Solace stumbled through the darkness of the Tangled Wood, her eyes straining to find a way out, any ray of light. The darkness was choking her and she could not breathe. She had to get out.

A speck glimmered in the distance, getting brighter and larger as she went closer. She could almost feel the heat and strength of the light. Breathing in anticipation, she headed closer and closer, pulling back the last leaves to reveal the source of the light.

A large, sparkling palace, seemingly made out of gold. It shone with the light of a thousand suns, and the windows reflected rainbows. The gleam nearly blinded her eyes, but she could not tear her eyes away from the majestic structure.

Her heart filled with a yearning, a strong desire to obtain something as great as that. Her mind calculated her plans, her flawless plans that always got her what she wanted. Her eyes narrowed and a smirk played on her lips.

-- -- --

The Mirror from the tavern came back a few days later to meet her again, and in his arms he held a Tundra hatchling. As the baby's eyes opened, she saw its eyes were a gleaming strong shade of yellow. Its fur was the shade of dark gold and its body was the colour of the gold palace she had seen before.

Taking the Tundra, she went back to her hideout. She stroked the baby’s fluffy fur and reviewed her carefully thought out plans. With this Tundra, she could get what she wanted. Exactly like what the Mirror had said. A mere pawn.

She looked outside, where the gleam of the palace left a bright echo on the darkening sky. In her mind she saw again the first sight she had of that kingdom, the one so great it was a waste that its rulers were so weak and naive.

“Soon, soon,” she promised herself, claws moving rhythmically across the Tundra’s pelt. “Soon, this kingdom will be mine.”
Written for: OliverWoolfe's Sunkit.

“One, two, three, here I come!” Sunkit growled, pouncing forward, her eyes locked on her target. Just as she was about to fasten her claws in, her mother’s tail swung away. Landing, she looked up in dismay.

Her mother looked down at her kindly, licking her head. “My dear Sunkit. The first rule of hunting is to make sure your prey doesn't hear you,” she advised, her tail flicking left and right.

Sunkit nodded in determination. “I'm going to catch your tail this time, mom,” she promised, eyes narrowed. Her mother smiled a little at her expression.

She stalked away, finding a good spot for a sneak attack. Stalking forward and making sure her footsteps made no sound on the ground, she pounced and landed right on her mother’s tail.

“Hahaha! Bet you didn't expect that,” she said smugly as her mother turned around. “I'm the best hunter ever! No one will defeat me now.”

“Better than Froststorm?” Her mother teased.

“Well, no, Froststorm is the best,” Sunkit admitted. “But if I want him to be my mentor, I have to be one of the best but not necessarily better than he is.”

As she turned and prepared a sneak attack on a particularly tall blade of grass, a voice spoke behind her. She recognised it as one of the other kits, Dawnkit.

“Don't bother me now! I'm training! I'm going to become the best warrior!” Sunkit growled, turning in annoyance.

Dawnkit’s eyes sparkled in glee. “Well, Sunkit, I've got news. You're going to…”

- - - - -

“Sunkit, come forward,” the leader ordered.

Sunkit padded forward, anticipation rising in her chest and her slick groomed fur gleaming under the sun. She stood below the rock and waited. The leader looked down at her and smiled.

“Sunkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Sunpaw. Your mentor will be…”
Written for: OliverWoolfe's Sunkit.

“One, two, three, here I come!” Sunkit growled, pouncing forward, her eyes locked on her target. Just as she was about to fasten her claws in, her mother’s tail swung away. Landing, she looked up in dismay.

Her mother looked down at her kindly, licking her head. “My dear Sunkit. The first rule of hunting is to make sure your prey doesn't hear you,” she advised, her tail flicking left and right.

Sunkit nodded in determination. “I'm going to catch your tail this time, mom,” she promised, eyes narrowed. Her mother smiled a little at her expression.

She stalked away, finding a good spot for a sneak attack. Stalking forward and making sure her footsteps made no sound on the ground, she pounced and landed right on her mother’s tail.

“Hahaha! Bet you didn't expect that,” she said smugly as her mother turned around. “I'm the best hunter ever! No one will defeat me now.”

“Better than Froststorm?” Her mother teased.

“Well, no, Froststorm is the best,” Sunkit admitted. “But if I want him to be my mentor, I have to be one of the best but not necessarily better than he is.”

As she turned and prepared a sneak attack on a particularly tall blade of grass, a voice spoke behind her. She recognised it as one of the other kits, Dawnkit.

“Don't bother me now! I'm training! I'm going to become the best warrior!” Sunkit growled, turning in annoyance.

Dawnkit’s eyes sparkled in glee. “Well, Sunkit, I've got news. You're going to…”

- - - - -

“Sunkit, come forward,” the leader ordered.

Sunkit padded forward, anticipation rising in her chest and her slick groomed fur gleaming under the sun. She stood below the rock and waited. The leader looked down at her and smiled.

“Sunkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Sunpaw. Your mentor will be…”
Written for: Gurepu's Vina.

“Vina! Come on, we have to patrol the perimeters!” Thea, a Skydancer, called to her.

“Coming!” Vina, a Fae, answered, flying forward to Thea as fast as her small wings could flap.

As the duo began their patrol, with Vina sitting on Thea’s head, Vina teased, “Did you just pick me because I'm small?”

Thea shook her head, nearly dislodging Vina. “Hey! Watch it! I'm not ready to be flung off just yet!” Vina cried indignantly.

“Well, it was your choice to sit there, so your risk,” Thea replied, and Vina could imagine a smirk on her face. Sighing a little, Vina sat back and watched the surroundings.

Suddenly, Thea seemed to sense some movement and motioned to Vina. “I'll go this way around the rocks. You go the other way, across that small stream. See if we can circle around the intruders.”

Vina nodded excitedly, this being the first time she had a crisis on a patrol. She quickly zoomed off in the direction indicated by Thea, apprehension and adrenaline roaring in her veins.

She spotted the intruder first, a hooded figure that seemed to be a Nocturne. Given her small size, he did not notice her, but saw Thea the moment she stepped out of the undergrowth. The Nocturne seemed to gather some magic and fired a bolt at Thea, and to Vina’s astonishment, Thea crumpled to the ground.

Vina roared with rage, rushing forward, but the Nocturne was already flying away. As she watched, he seemed to drop something onto the ground. Flying forward, she saw that it was a scroll, small enough for her to carry but still almost the size of her entirely.

“Whatever. Don't have to return this to that Nocturne. I don't care,” Vina huffed, turning to find Thea. Seeing her friend motionless, she hurriedly called for reinforcement from her Fae friends. Dozens upon hundreds appeared from the trees high above, swooping down from their sap houses to help Vina. Together, the Fae family worked together and dragged the Skydancer to safety.

After reporting to the Clan Leader on what had happened, Vina prepared to head back to her own sap house. Like a train had hit her, she remembered the scroll the Nocturne had dropped. Flying back to the attack zone, she found the scroll still lying there. She picked it up and brought it back to her sap house, deciding to read it the next day.

-- -- --

Why hello there, little Fae. I see you've become my new owner. I know we will have an exciting time together, Vina.

Vina jerked awake, eyes scanning the darkness. The voice seemed so real, it was not from a dream. But there was no one else in her sap house. Who had spoken?

I'm right here, in your room, Vina. Can you see me?

Vina darted her eyes around, her breathing becoming more nervous. Looking onto her study table, she saw the scroll she had picked up in the day, glowing with a faint spectrum of light.

Intrigued, Vina moved closer to the scroll. It continued to glow, glowing brighter and brighter as she got closer and closer. Somehow, the lights seemed so mesmerizing, so beautiful…

She flipped open the scroll to get the shock of her life. Inside, scribed in small print to save space, were hundreds and hundreds of spells. As she read, she realised each of them had to be performed using a single form of magic - dark magic.

She slammed the scroll closed, but it was undeterred, continuing to glow. She closed her eyes and turned away. “I can't do dark magic,” she whispered to herself. “Anything but dark magic.”

Why so? Don't you know that dark magic is the most powerful out of all the forms?

Vina shook her head and went back into bed. The scroll was silent after that.

-- -- --

“Vina! The Clan Leader wishes to see you,” a guard, Celeste, called to her. Wondering why, Vina entered the Leader's Den and bowed to the leader, a grand Imperial named Orcus.

“Come, Vina. Sit here. I have news for you,” Orcus told her, his tone grave. Vina sat down with a fearful thought.

“Vina, Thea...She has very unfortunately passed away...The magic used on her wasn't normal elemental magic, it was a more powerful, darker form…”

Vina stared ahead, not knowing which she was more shocked of. Her good friend's death, or the fact that she was killed by dark magic. Orcus stood up and walked out, leaving her alone.

“Dark magic kills Thea,” she whispered to herself. “I cannot use dark magic. Never. Ever. I have to get rid of the scroll!”

Oh, dear. Getting so worried. I can assure you dark magic is not dangerous at all.

“Then how can you explain Thea’s death?” Vina snapped.

Dark magic, like every kind of magic, depends on the user. The Nocturne that attacked her - my previous owner - used his powers for the wrong reason. I trust that if you have enough strength and self control, you will fight against the temptation to use your magic selfishly.

-- -- --

“Aww, see who's still playing catching butterflies! Why, if it isn't Melody!”

From far away, Vina could already hear the jeering and mocking of the bullies. The voice belonged to Jace, the biggest egghead among the Faes in the Clan. And Melody was the smallest Fae.

Vina pushed apart the last leaves to find Jace and his group towering over Melody, malicious grins on their faces. They were evidently enjoying Melody’s fear and terror.

“Oh, butterfly, here I come!” Jace mimicked in a singsong voice. “Got you, butterfly!”

From Vina’s vantage point, she could see tears start to stream down Melody's small face. She leaped out of hiding and ran to stand between Melody and Jace, yelling, “Get away, Jace!”

Seeing her, Jace seemed to smirk. “Oh, your mommy is here to protect you, Melody! Now let's see how your mommy can deal with this!”

Without warning, he swiped a claw towards Vina’s face, but she dodged and the side of her shoulder was scratched. She clutched her bleeding shoulder, glaring up at Jace. However, Jace seemed to have enough and stalked off haughtily.

“Vina! Are you alright?” Melody asked in concern. Nodding and biting back the pain, Vina ran out and off to her own sap house to treat the wound.

-- -- --

If you had had dark magic, you would have been able to defeat Jace in one swipe. And now, look at you.

“Shut up, scroll!” She yelled, bandaging her wound as fast as possible. However, the pain was too excruciating and she bit back a scream.

A simple healing spell can make that as good as new. Are you sure you don't want to learn it?

Vina bit her lip as she tried to wrap it tighter.

It will put you out of your current misery in a few more seconds.

Having bandaged it a little too tight, Vina nearly lost all feeling in her wing.

Come on, Vina. I know you want to learn it.

Vina gritted her teeth. “Fine.”

-- -- --

Vina flew, keeping her eyes on the path ahead. The sun shine through the canopy above, giving the fallen leaves a surreal golden glow.

“Vina, how's life going?” Her patrol mate, a Guardian named Rosy, asked. “You've been pretty quiet lately. Are you sure everything is fine?”

“Yes,” Vina sighed. “You don't have to ask. I'm fine.”

Rosy seemed to consider something for a moment. “Do you want to attend the opening of the new generator with me? I heard it's going to be the invention of the century and power thrice as much as three current generators combined!”

Vina shook her head. “Um, maybe not this time, Rosy. I have...Personal things to do. I'm really sorry. Maybe Argentum will go with you.”

Good, good. You will stay to learn more from me. In due time, you will have power thrice as much as three new generators combined!

-- -- --

“Vina. We meet again.”

The icy voice came from Jace, now older and bigger than she last remembered him to be. She glared at him, preparing a battle stance. Seeing her determined expression, Jace smirked.

He rushed forward, claws aimed for her face, but she dodged all his offensive attacks. There was no one else around to comment on her fighting tactics, so she could use any style she wanted.

Just as Jace was tiring, she placed her claws together and chanted a spell under her breath. Smoking purple wisps grew between her claws and as it grew bigger, Jace’s eyes widened. He was about to shout a protest just as the bolt hit him in the chest. He fell to the ground, motionless.

Vina looked at his body emotionlessly, before flying away. However, just as she left, the clearing was swarmed by other Faes.

“Jace, wake up!” “Jace, what happened to you?” “Someone get Orcus!” “I sense dark magic!” “Jace, my son, please wake up!”

Good, you have done everyone a favour by ridding the world of this bully. It's a small step to a big goal.

The more Vina watched the grieving family, the more she became doubtful. Was killing Jace really a good thing? Was this not what the Nocturne did to Thea?

-- -- --

Vina flew onward south, her few belongings on her back and the scroll clutched in her claws. She kept glancing backward for fear someone would come after her, but no one did.

She decided to flee after seeing what dark magic had done to her. She took the scroll to make sure no one else found it. The scroll had fought back, searing her claws, but ever since they left the Tangled Wood, it had not made a single sound.

She landed near the Expanse for the night to rest. She set the scroll carefully to the side and set about preparing to eat and make camp.

Use your magic, young disciple. There is no other dragon around here.

Sighing, she complied. What the scroll said was right.

Suddenly, she heard wing beats in the darkness and turned her head upwards. She saw a dragon diving towards her, its breastplate gleaming with the insignia of her home Clan - an Owl and an Eagle. Without thinking, she fired a dark magic bolt upward, and hit the dragon with a thump. Wheeling around, the dragon plummeted down.

Good job, my young disciple.

-- -- --

How long had passed? She did not know. She did not remember. But she knew hundreds and hundreds of assassins were sent after her, and all of them were defeated by her dark magic. The scroll praised her after each success, and soon, she felt she had lost her former self and soon, she gave in to the power of the scroll.

Years and years must have passed because she saw the scroll getting older and her limbs getting stronger. She took joy in raiding nearby Clans, sometimes even massacres occurred under her claws. Every time she succeeded, she felt a sickening sense of victory. Of satisfaction. Of bloodlust.

And she loved it.

But a dragon’s body can only hold a certain limit of magic. Anywhere beyond that, it would be disaster. Vina disregarded that, using and growing her magic until she was stretching herself to her limits.

The darkness exploded from her with a roar, and she screamed, a ear-splitting cry filled with years and years of blood and tears, filled with a painful history and filled with memories that would taint her mind forever.

And she did not remember anything after that.

-- -- --

She burnt the scroll.

She tossed away her old notes.

She was determined to forget.

But she knew those memories would stay with her forever.

She decided to start over again.

-- -- --

“You'll have to focus, Urasa,” Vina spoke patiently, adjusting her daughter’s pose. “Focus is the key to learning this form of magic.”

“How many forms are there, Mom?” Urasa asked.

“There are four known forms. What you're learning is mage magic, the most common and easiest. There's astral magic, to do with the power of the stars and zodiac. And there's elemental magic, magic of each element,” Vina explained.

“Then what's the last?” Urasa asked again, curious.

“That's…” Vina paused, memories flashing across her eyes. “Don't worry about the other forms, daughter dear. Just focus on the mage magic, and you'll be fine.”
Written for: Gurepu's Vina.

“Vina! Come on, we have to patrol the perimeters!” Thea, a Skydancer, called to her.

“Coming!” Vina, a Fae, answered, flying forward to Thea as fast as her small wings could flap.

As the duo began their patrol, with Vina sitting on Thea’s head, Vina teased, “Did you just pick me because I'm small?”

Thea shook her head, nearly dislodging Vina. “Hey! Watch it! I'm not ready to be flung off just yet!” Vina cried indignantly.

“Well, it was your choice to sit there, so your risk,” Thea replied, and Vina could imagine a smirk on her face. Sighing a little, Vina sat back and watched the surroundings.

Suddenly, Thea seemed to sense some movement and motioned to Vina. “I'll go this way around the rocks. You go the other way, across that small stream. See if we can circle around the intruders.”

Vina nodded excitedly, this being the first time she had a crisis on a patrol. She quickly zoomed off in the direction indicated by Thea, apprehension and adrenaline roaring in her veins.

She spotted the intruder first, a hooded figure that seemed to be a Nocturne. Given her small size, he did not notice her, but saw Thea the moment she stepped out of the undergrowth. The Nocturne seemed to gather some magic and fired a bolt at Thea, and to Vina’s astonishment, Thea crumpled to the ground.

Vina roared with rage, rushing forward, but the Nocturne was already flying away. As she watched, he seemed to drop something onto the ground. Flying forward, she saw that it was a scroll, small enough for her to carry but still almost the size of her entirely.

“Whatever. Don't have to return this to that Nocturne. I don't care,” Vina huffed, turning to find Thea. Seeing her friend motionless, she hurriedly called for reinforcement from her Fae friends. Dozens upon hundreds appeared from the trees high above, swooping down from their sap houses to help Vina. Together, the Fae family worked together and dragged the Skydancer to safety.

After reporting to the Clan Leader on what had happened, Vina prepared to head back to her own sap house. Like a train had hit her, she remembered the scroll the Nocturne had dropped. Flying back to the attack zone, she found the scroll still lying there. She picked it up and brought it back to her sap house, deciding to read it the next day.

-- -- --

Why hello there, little Fae. I see you've become my new owner. I know we will have an exciting time together, Vina.

Vina jerked awake, eyes scanning the darkness. The voice seemed so real, it was not from a dream. But there was no one else in her sap house. Who had spoken?

I'm right here, in your room, Vina. Can you see me?

Vina darted her eyes around, her breathing becoming more nervous. Looking onto her study table, she saw the scroll she had picked up in the day, glowing with a faint spectrum of light.

Intrigued, Vina moved closer to the scroll. It continued to glow, glowing brighter and brighter as she got closer and closer. Somehow, the lights seemed so mesmerizing, so beautiful…

She flipped open the scroll to get the shock of her life. Inside, scribed in small print to save space, were hundreds and hundreds of spells. As she read, she realised each of them had to be performed using a single form of magic - dark magic.

She slammed the scroll closed, but it was undeterred, continuing to glow. She closed her eyes and turned away. “I can't do dark magic,” she whispered to herself. “Anything but dark magic.”

Why so? Don't you know that dark magic is the most powerful out of all the forms?

Vina shook her head and went back into bed. The scroll was silent after that.

-- -- --

“Vina! The Clan Leader wishes to see you,” a guard, Celeste, called to her. Wondering why, Vina entered the Leader's Den and bowed to the leader, a grand Imperial named Orcus.

“Come, Vina. Sit here. I have news for you,” Orcus told her, his tone grave. Vina sat down with a fearful thought.

“Vina, Thea...She has very unfortunately passed away...The magic used on her wasn't normal elemental magic, it was a more powerful, darker form…”

Vina stared ahead, not knowing which she was more shocked of. Her good friend's death, or the fact that she was killed by dark magic. Orcus stood up and walked out, leaving her alone.

“Dark magic kills Thea,” she whispered to herself. “I cannot use dark magic. Never. Ever. I have to get rid of the scroll!”

Oh, dear. Getting so worried. I can assure you dark magic is not dangerous at all.

“Then how can you explain Thea’s death?” Vina snapped.

Dark magic, like every kind of magic, depends on the user. The Nocturne that attacked her - my previous owner - used his powers for the wrong reason. I trust that if you have enough strength and self control, you will fight against the temptation to use your magic selfishly.

-- -- --

“Aww, see who's still playing catching butterflies! Why, if it isn't Melody!”

From far away, Vina could already hear the jeering and mocking of the bullies. The voice belonged to Jace, the biggest egghead among the Faes in the Clan. And Melody was the smallest Fae.

Vina pushed apart the last leaves to find Jace and his group towering over Melody, malicious grins on their faces. They were evidently enjoying Melody’s fear and terror.

“Oh, butterfly, here I come!” Jace mimicked in a singsong voice. “Got you, butterfly!”

From Vina’s vantage point, she could see tears start to stream down Melody's small face. She leaped out of hiding and ran to stand between Melody and Jace, yelling, “Get away, Jace!”

Seeing her, Jace seemed to smirk. “Oh, your mommy is here to protect you, Melody! Now let's see how your mommy can deal with this!”

Without warning, he swiped a claw towards Vina’s face, but she dodged and the side of her shoulder was scratched. She clutched her bleeding shoulder, glaring up at Jace. However, Jace seemed to have enough and stalked off haughtily.

“Vina! Are you alright?” Melody asked in concern. Nodding and biting back the pain, Vina ran out and off to her own sap house to treat the wound.

-- -- --

If you had had dark magic, you would have been able to defeat Jace in one swipe. And now, look at you.

“Shut up, scroll!” She yelled, bandaging her wound as fast as possible. However, the pain was too excruciating and she bit back a scream.

A simple healing spell can make that as good as new. Are you sure you don't want to learn it?

Vina bit her lip as she tried to wrap it tighter.

It will put you out of your current misery in a few more seconds.

Having bandaged it a little too tight, Vina nearly lost all feeling in her wing.

Come on, Vina. I know you want to learn it.

Vina gritted her teeth. “Fine.”

-- -- --

Vina flew, keeping her eyes on the path ahead. The sun shine through the canopy above, giving the fallen leaves a surreal golden glow.

“Vina, how's life going?” Her patrol mate, a Guardian named Rosy, asked. “You've been pretty quiet lately. Are you sure everything is fine?”

“Yes,” Vina sighed. “You don't have to ask. I'm fine.”

Rosy seemed to consider something for a moment. “Do you want to attend the opening of the new generator with me? I heard it's going to be the invention of the century and power thrice as much as three current generators combined!”

Vina shook her head. “Um, maybe not this time, Rosy. I have...Personal things to do. I'm really sorry. Maybe Argentum will go with you.”

Good, good. You will stay to learn more from me. In due time, you will have power thrice as much as three new generators combined!

-- -- --

“Vina. We meet again.”

The icy voice came from Jace, now older and bigger than she last remembered him to be. She glared at him, preparing a battle stance. Seeing her determined expression, Jace smirked.

He rushed forward, claws aimed for her face, but she dodged all his offensive attacks. There was no one else around to comment on her fighting tactics, so she could use any style she wanted.

Just as Jace was tiring, she placed her claws together and chanted a spell under her breath. Smoking purple wisps grew between her claws and as it grew bigger, Jace’s eyes widened. He was about to shout a protest just as the bolt hit him in the chest. He fell to the ground, motionless.

Vina looked at his body emotionlessly, before flying away. However, just as she left, the clearing was swarmed by other Faes.

“Jace, wake up!” “Jace, what happened to you?” “Someone get Orcus!” “I sense dark magic!” “Jace, my son, please wake up!”

Good, you have done everyone a favour by ridding the world of this bully. It's a small step to a big goal.

The more Vina watched the grieving family, the more she became doubtful. Was killing Jace really a good thing? Was this not what the Nocturne did to Thea?

-- -- --

Vina flew onward south, her few belongings on her back and the scroll clutched in her claws. She kept glancing backward for fear someone would come after her, but no one did.

She decided to flee after seeing what dark magic had done to her. She took the scroll to make sure no one else found it. The scroll had fought back, searing her claws, but ever since they left the Tangled Wood, it had not made a single sound.

She landed near the Expanse for the night to rest. She set the scroll carefully to the side and set about preparing to eat and make camp.

Use your magic, young disciple. There is no other dragon around here.

Sighing, she complied. What the scroll said was right.

Suddenly, she heard wing beats in the darkness and turned her head upwards. She saw a dragon diving towards her, its breastplate gleaming with the insignia of her home Clan - an Owl and an Eagle. Without thinking, she fired a dark magic bolt upward, and hit the dragon with a thump. Wheeling around, the dragon plummeted down.

Good job, my young disciple.

-- -- --

How long had passed? She did not know. She did not remember. But she knew hundreds and hundreds of assassins were sent after her, and all of them were defeated by her dark magic. The scroll praised her after each success, and soon, she felt she had lost her former self and soon, she gave in to the power of the scroll.

Years and years must have passed because she saw the scroll getting older and her limbs getting stronger. She took joy in raiding nearby Clans, sometimes even massacres occurred under her claws. Every time she succeeded, she felt a sickening sense of victory. Of satisfaction. Of bloodlust.

And she loved it.

But a dragon’s body can only hold a certain limit of magic. Anywhere beyond that, it would be disaster. Vina disregarded that, using and growing her magic until she was stretching herself to her limits.

The darkness exploded from her with a roar, and she screamed, a ear-splitting cry filled with years and years of blood and tears, filled with a painful history and filled with memories that would taint her mind forever.

And she did not remember anything after that.

-- -- --

She burnt the scroll.

She tossed away her old notes.

She was determined to forget.

But she knew those memories would stay with her forever.

She decided to start over again.

-- -- --

“You'll have to focus, Urasa,” Vina spoke patiently, adjusting her daughter’s pose. “Focus is the key to learning this form of magic.”

“How many forms are there, Mom?” Urasa asked.

“There are four known forms. What you're learning is mage magic, the most common and easiest. There's astral magic, to do with the power of the stars and zodiac. And there's elemental magic, magic of each element,” Vina explained.

“Then what's the last?” Urasa asked again, curious.

“That's…” Vina paused, memories flashing across her eyes. “Don't worry about the other forms, daughter dear. Just focus on the mage magic, and you'll be fine.”
Written for: OliverWoolfe's Mieko Akemi.

“A bouquet of carnations, please,” Mieko chimed, handing the coins to the woman behind the counter.

“Here you go,” the woman smiled kindly, passing the flowers to her. The two of them knew each other pretty well as Mieko came to the flower shop every single day.

“What will it be tomorrow?” The woman asked.

“Wait and see,” Mieko answered, winking playfully.

-- -- --

The familiar scent of antibiotics and medicine assaulted her nostrils the moment the sliding doors opened, but Mieko was already used to it by now. The nurse behind the counter gave her a nod.

She stepped into the lift and pressed the button for level four. After the doors opened again, she stepped into the long, blank corridor. Along the sides were identical doors, placed in intervals between each other. Heading to number 7740, she opened the door softly.

“Grandma, it's Mieko,” she whispered, closing the door behind her and heading to the bedside. Her grandma was already awake. As her eyes found Mieko, they lit up in delight.

“What is it today?” The old lady asked, voice raspy with age. She took the bouquet and breathed in the sweet scent of the flowers. “Ah, carnations. Thank you.”

Mieko giggled a little and set about cleaning the room a bit, opening the curtains a little wider for more sunlight. She sat beside the bed, sighing as she saw her grandma’s frail body.

Her grandma had contracted a long term disease where there was no cure. It would only be a matter of time before she went to heaven. Before that happened, Mieko was determined to spend as much time with her as possible.

“I'm still looking forward to the day you bring me not flowers but your offer letter,” the old lady smiled, repeating the sentence she said everyday. “Get into U.A., be a hero.”

-- -- --

Mieko raced along the street, her shoes thumping against the gravel. Her bag bounced on her back, jarring into her flesh with each move, but she was too excited to care. She zipped through familiar streets and skidded to a stop outside the hospital doors. No running in hospitals, she remembered.

She could barely contain her enthusiasm as she walked as fast as possible to room 7740. She opened the door and raced to the bedside in a flash.

“Grandma,” she breathed, panting. “Grandma. Look!”

She handed the paper to her Grandma, who took a look at the paper before sighing, “Mieko, read it out for me.”

Dutifully, she took the paper back and read the words that had given her so much excitement.

“Mieko Akemi, you have been accepted into U.A. High School. Here, you will train to become a hero…”

Mieko trailed off at the look on her grandma’s face. It was hard to describe — delighted, surprised and pleased all at the same time.

“This is amazing, Mieko. Good job. Go to the academy, become a hero and bring a ray of light into others’ lives.”

-- -- --

With every good news comes bad news. It seems like fate is playing with our emotions and expectations. When Mieko heard the news and heard the flat monotone of the heart monitor as she entered the room for the last time, she did not know what to feel.

It was as if her grandma had fought back against the disease just to hear her granddaughter read the acceptance letter. Now her grandma would leave in peace.

This is amazing, Mieko. Good job. Go to the academy, become a hero and bring a ray of light into others’ lives.

Mieko looked up and blinked the tears away, a determined look set into her face. Her grandma may be gone from the physical world, but she knew that in heaven, her grandma is watching, watching her every day and seeing her grow just like her grandma had back on earth.

Go to the academy, become a hero and bring a ray of light into others’ lives.

“Yes, grandma,” she whispered to herself. “Yes, I will.”

Written for: OliverWoolfe's Mieko Akemi.

“A bouquet of carnations, please,” Mieko chimed, handing the coins to the woman behind the counter.

“Here you go,” the woman smiled kindly, passing the flowers to her. The two of them knew each other pretty well as Mieko came to the flower shop every single day.

“What will it be tomorrow?” The woman asked.

“Wait and see,” Mieko answered, winking playfully.

-- -- --

The familiar scent of antibiotics and medicine assaulted her nostrils the moment the sliding doors opened, but Mieko was already used to it by now. The nurse behind the counter gave her a nod.

She stepped into the lift and pressed the button for level four. After the doors opened again, she stepped into the long, blank corridor. Along the sides were identical doors, placed in intervals between each other. Heading to number 7740, she opened the door softly.

“Grandma, it's Mieko,” she whispered, closing the door behind her and heading to the bedside. Her grandma was already awake. As her eyes found Mieko, they lit up in delight.

“What is it today?” The old lady asked, voice raspy with age. She took the bouquet and breathed in the sweet scent of the flowers. “Ah, carnations. Thank you.”

Mieko giggled a little and set about cleaning the room a bit, opening the curtains a little wider for more sunlight. She sat beside the bed, sighing as she saw her grandma’s frail body.

Her grandma had contracted a long term disease where there was no cure. It would only be a matter of time before she went to heaven. Before that happened, Mieko was determined to spend as much time with her as possible.

“I'm still looking forward to the day you bring me not flowers but your offer letter,” the old lady smiled, repeating the sentence she said everyday. “Get into U.A., be a hero.”

-- -- --

Mieko raced along the street, her shoes thumping against the gravel. Her bag bounced on her back, jarring into her flesh with each move, but she was too excited to care. She zipped through familiar streets and skidded to a stop outside the hospital doors. No running in hospitals, she remembered.

She could barely contain her enthusiasm as she walked as fast as possible to room 7740. She opened the door and raced to the bedside in a flash.

“Grandma,” she breathed, panting. “Grandma. Look!”

She handed the paper to her Grandma, who took a look at the paper before sighing, “Mieko, read it out for me.”

Dutifully, she took the paper back and read the words that had given her so much excitement.

“Mieko Akemi, you have been accepted into U.A. High School. Here, you will train to become a hero…”

Mieko trailed off at the look on her grandma’s face. It was hard to describe — delighted, surprised and pleased all at the same time.

“This is amazing, Mieko. Good job. Go to the academy, become a hero and bring a ray of light into others’ lives.”

-- -- --

With every good news comes bad news. It seems like fate is playing with our emotions and expectations. When Mieko heard the news and heard the flat monotone of the heart monitor as she entered the room for the last time, she did not know what to feel.

It was as if her grandma had fought back against the disease just to hear her granddaughter read the acceptance letter. Now her grandma would leave in peace.

This is amazing, Mieko. Good job. Go to the academy, become a hero and bring a ray of light into others’ lives.

Mieko looked up and blinked the tears away, a determined look set into her face. Her grandma may be gone from the physical world, but she knew that in heaven, her grandma is watching, watching her every day and seeing her grow just like her grandma had back on earth.

Go to the academy, become a hero and bring a ray of light into others’ lives.

“Yes, grandma,” she whispered to herself. “Yes, I will.”

Written for: Gurepu's Machi.

“Mommy, what’s beyond that tall mountain over there?” The Imperial hatchling raised a claw and pointed to the towering peaks. His foster mother, a Skydancer, smiled at his curiosity. “Beyond that is the big world, larger than this oasis we live in. When you’re older, you can go and explore it and see for yourself the wonders of Sornieth.”

-- -- --

The wind blew in his face and brought with it the scent of new leaf and spring flowers. Machi breathed in the fragrance and sighed pleasantly. A year since he had left the oasis he spent his childhood in. A year since he decided to explore Sornieth.

He unrolled the scroll map in his claws, tracing his flight path. Here he was in the Starfall Isles, ready to explore and see more of the land of the astronomers.

Just as he was keeping the map, a dragon bumped into him and the map fell from his claws. As he dived to grab it, someone else reached it first and handed it to him with a smile. It was another Imperial, and seeing how he was dressed, he did not seem to a native either.

“Name’s Kaiyo,” the other Imperial said, smiling. “Sorry for bumping into you. I’m not exactly the most careful dragon here.”

Machi took back his map and took extra care in putting it back into his pack. “Hmm,” he responded simply.

Kaiyo seemed to look at him closer. “I see you have the mark of royalty,” he said, “The lantern. I have it too. Which kingdom are you from?”

Machi shook his head. “I don’t know. I was stolen away as a hatchling and grew up in an oasis with my foster family. I left recently to explore Sornieth. How about you?”

“I left my royal life behind to seek answers to the questions I have about the world,” Kaiyo explained. “And I haven’t regretted it since.” Kaiyo seemed to consider something for a while. “Say, why don’t we travel together for now?”

-- -- --

Machi stood outside the grand doors, waiting for them to open. The doors had gold inset into them, and precious metals dotted every possible inch. Whoever ruled this country, they seemed very rich and powerful. He knew this kingdom would have been his if not for him being stolen away.

When the doors finally opened and he walked down the red carpet to the thrones set high up at the end, he could not bring himself to look up. Would he remember the looks in their eyes? The lines set in their face? More importantly, did they remember the son they had lost those years ago?

“Whoever requests audience of King Baltas does not enter with heads covered,” the official standing at the side of the throne intoned. Slowly, with a heavy heart, Machi raised his head.

A gasp from the Queen showed him what he needed to know. They recognised him. The King held out his claws, and the Queen had happy tears streaking down her face. Being embraced again gave him the familiar feeling of family and being loved, and memories flashed back in his mind.

A large playroom. Long curtains and windows. A stormy night. The window being shattered. A dark figure slipping into the room. He was swept up and taken away. Out and through the window, into the pouring rain.

In his memories, it was rain flowing down his face. Now, it was tears of joy.
Written for: Gurepu's Machi.

“Mommy, what’s beyond that tall mountain over there?” The Imperial hatchling raised a claw and pointed to the towering peaks. His foster mother, a Skydancer, smiled at his curiosity. “Beyond that is the big world, larger than this oasis we live in. When you’re older, you can go and explore it and see for yourself the wonders of Sornieth.”

-- -- --

The wind blew in his face and brought with it the scent of new leaf and spring flowers. Machi breathed in the fragrance and sighed pleasantly. A year since he had left the oasis he spent his childhood in. A year since he decided to explore Sornieth.

He unrolled the scroll map in his claws, tracing his flight path. Here he was in the Starfall Isles, ready to explore and see more of the land of the astronomers.

Just as he was keeping the map, a dragon bumped into him and the map fell from his claws. As he dived to grab it, someone else reached it first and handed it to him with a smile. It was another Imperial, and seeing how he was dressed, he did not seem to a native either.

“Name’s Kaiyo,” the other Imperial said, smiling. “Sorry for bumping into you. I’m not exactly the most careful dragon here.”

Machi took back his map and took extra care in putting it back into his pack. “Hmm,” he responded simply.

Kaiyo seemed to look at him closer. “I see you have the mark of royalty,” he said, “The lantern. I have it too. Which kingdom are you from?”

Machi shook his head. “I don’t know. I was stolen away as a hatchling and grew up in an oasis with my foster family. I left recently to explore Sornieth. How about you?”

“I left my royal life behind to seek answers to the questions I have about the world,” Kaiyo explained. “And I haven’t regretted it since.” Kaiyo seemed to consider something for a while. “Say, why don’t we travel together for now?”

-- -- --

Machi stood outside the grand doors, waiting for them to open. The doors had gold inset into them, and precious metals dotted every possible inch. Whoever ruled this country, they seemed very rich and powerful. He knew this kingdom would have been his if not for him being stolen away.

When the doors finally opened and he walked down the red carpet to the thrones set high up at the end, he could not bring himself to look up. Would he remember the looks in their eyes? The lines set in their face? More importantly, did they remember the son they had lost those years ago?

“Whoever requests audience of King Baltas does not enter with heads covered,” the official standing at the side of the throne intoned. Slowly, with a heavy heart, Machi raised his head.

A gasp from the Queen showed him what he needed to know. They recognised him. The King held out his claws, and the Queen had happy tears streaking down her face. Being embraced again gave him the familiar feeling of family and being loved, and memories flashed back in his mind.

A large playroom. Long curtains and windows. A stormy night. The window being shattered. A dark figure slipping into the room. He was swept up and taken away. Out and through the window, into the pouring rain.

In his memories, it was rain flowing down his face. Now, it was tears of joy.
1 2 3