Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Critique requested - Sketch to art
1 2
@Rainingsunshine
First, I think this is a good start. You have a good grasp of where to shade and lighten, and I like how you colored the eye in particular. I have some tips to keep in mind for future pictures. Jsyk, I'm not trying to be mean or say that every picture you make needs to be perfect! But I'm going to point out the things that need some work.
When lining things, try to give different thicknesses in certain parts to make the picture look more dynamic and less "wobbly." A shakier looking outline can certainly work for things like clouds or the scarf that this Wildclaw is wearing, but not for the armor. See how the thin, shaky lineart makes the armor look more like paper than metal?
A small tip I can give about the shading is that on the opposite side, there should be some ambient light reflecting on the wildclaw. Like look at this sketch of a sphere. There is a small sliver of light on the darkest part of the sphere, and this gives more dimension to the object.
Finally, the background. I like how the colors in the background are dark and don't clash, which gives more focus to the main character in the picture. Good work on that! You also didn't forget to shade and add depth to the bg! On the other hand, the trees could use some work. Tree branches get thinner at the end and aren't rounded, either. A lot of things in nature aren't round; they have jagged or sharp edges (or a mix of smooth and rough parts.)
This is p good, though! Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll improve v quickly ^^
@Rainingsunshine
First, I think this is a good start. You have a good grasp of where to shade and lighten, and I like how you colored the eye in particular. I have some tips to keep in mind for future pictures. Jsyk, I'm not trying to be mean or say that every picture you make needs to be perfect! But I'm going to point out the things that need some work.
When lining things, try to give different thicknesses in certain parts to make the picture look more dynamic and less "wobbly." A shakier looking outline can certainly work for things like clouds or the scarf that this Wildclaw is wearing, but not for the armor. See how the thin, shaky lineart makes the armor look more like paper than metal?
A small tip I can give about the shading is that on the opposite side, there should be some ambient light reflecting on the wildclaw. Like look at this sketch of a sphere. There is a small sliver of light on the darkest part of the sphere, and this gives more dimension to the object.
Finally, the background. I like how the colors in the background are dark and don't clash, which gives more focus to the main character in the picture. Good work on that! You also didn't forget to shade and add depth to the bg! On the other hand, the trees could use some work. Tree branches get thinner at the end and aren't rounded, either. A lot of things in nature aren't round; they have jagged or sharp edges (or a mix of smooth and rough parts.)
This is p good, though! Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll improve v quickly ^^
@Rainingsunshine
Well, your art is great and it's really showing that you are creative as an artist.
What I would recommend is watch YouTube speed paints and tutorials and learn from them. I can take myself as an example for this- I watched so many videos and at the end didn't know how else to draw other than the way I saw people draw.
Note that humans learn from mimicking actions from other humans. I can draw and shade thanks to those tutorials, not because I drew every day. Which I didn't, honestly I draw like once a week or two.

As for the piece: I'm not sure what program you use but it's obvious you struggle with color balance.
Light and shadow on metal would be soft and smooth, only those weaker lights and shadows. Stronger lights and shadows as well as reflections would be sharp and clean.
For shadowing I recommend using a 'multiply' layer. It makes the whole peace in shadow so you just need to erase parts where there would be light. After that add another 'multiply' layer and add deeper shadows. As for the light try and use regular color wheel to lighten-mixing the color of whatever you are lighting and the color of the light source- and 'overlay' and 'colour dodge' to add dinamic light.
Please NEVER use black or white to shade and lighten.

Anyway, just watch damn YouTube videos.
Hope this helps.
@Rainingsunshine
Well, your art is great and it's really showing that you are creative as an artist.
What I would recommend is watch YouTube speed paints and tutorials and learn from them. I can take myself as an example for this- I watched so many videos and at the end didn't know how else to draw other than the way I saw people draw.
Note that humans learn from mimicking actions from other humans. I can draw and shade thanks to those tutorials, not because I drew every day. Which I didn't, honestly I draw like once a week or two.

As for the piece: I'm not sure what program you use but it's obvious you struggle with color balance.
Light and shadow on metal would be soft and smooth, only those weaker lights and shadows. Stronger lights and shadows as well as reflections would be sharp and clean.
For shadowing I recommend using a 'multiply' layer. It makes the whole peace in shadow so you just need to erase parts where there would be light. After that add another 'multiply' layer and add deeper shadows. As for the light try and use regular color wheel to lighten-mixing the color of whatever you are lighting and the color of the light source- and 'overlay' and 'colour dodge' to add dinamic light.
Please NEVER use black or white to shade and lighten.

Anyway, just watch damn YouTube videos.
Hope this helps.
rsz_1rsz_screenshot_2018-02-16-23-04-32-1.png
@mintis
I really appreciate this view point! I never really thought about the line art size...that makes total sense! I am working on some coloring right now, but after that, I am going to really focus on altering line sizes! Thank you so much for that thoughtful response! I will take all of your advice into huge consideration next time!!!

@delta8
Thank you so much! That is a good bit of advice! I tried to watch some speed drawings once an got very overwhelmed...but that was at the very beginning of my journey and I have gotten a lot further in my art since then xD
I have ALWAYS struggled with color balance....With the multipy layer, I have been using just straight black. Should I focus more on a darker version of the base color? I use white and black for shadows T.T I have broken the no no rule lmao! I will try this for sure! Great advice!
@mintis
I really appreciate this view point! I never really thought about the line art size...that makes total sense! I am working on some coloring right now, but after that, I am going to really focus on altering line sizes! Thank you so much for that thoughtful response! I will take all of your advice into huge consideration next time!!!

@delta8
Thank you so much! That is a good bit of advice! I tried to watch some speed drawings once an got very overwhelmed...but that was at the very beginning of my journey and I have gotten a lot further in my art since then xD
I have ALWAYS struggled with color balance....With the multipy layer, I have been using just straight black. Should I focus more on a darker version of the base color? I use white and black for shadows T.T I have broken the no no rule lmao! I will try this for sure! Great advice!
I make art! Click here to see my recent work!
Remember, always be yourself, no one else can do it for you
51874862.png 55851448.png
@Rainingsunshine
See it this way: If your light source is warm, say sunlight, use a pale dark blue to make the shadow look cool. If the light is cool, like blue or white, use warmer colors to make the shadow warm.
@Rainingsunshine
See it this way: If your light source is warm, say sunlight, use a pale dark blue to make the shadow look cool. If the light is cool, like blue or white, use warmer colors to make the shadow warm.
rsz_1rsz_screenshot_2018-02-16-23-04-32-1.png
1 2