Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Diaries Round 12 - Complete!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31
@Morigan Hehe, you know I always kinda wondered who people would side with - since there's a crazy amount of rivalries going on but I try to show every perspective fairly and not just have someone be "the bad guy" :') Glad you can like Royal despite his supermassive ego XD

@Digsie <3
@Morigan Hehe, you know I always kinda wondered who people would side with - since there's a crazy amount of rivalries going on but I try to show every perspective fairly and not just have someone be "the bad guy" :') Glad you can like Royal despite his supermassive ego XD

@Digsie <3
TpW6gwi.png
@OneWing
*nod* And I think you´re managing that really well. I mean, I can tell that in a more... typical story he would be the villain. Especially when put in contrast with someone like Hasil. But then, there is a whole lot of points in Royal´s favour, too. Aesling is the first one. Not only that he is true to his mate. But the fact that he chose a simple, sooty-clawed blacksmith before some gilded airhead of a lady means a lot and offsets that arrogance of his somewhat. Then Aesling´s chapter shows pretty clearly she´s happy with him and that tells me a lot, too. Because of that, I don´t feel like he would be a bad clanleader. In short, he doesn´t really strike me as the tyrant type. And that makes his cunning and manipulation nothing but tools, ones that could even be used for the good of the clan. When I compare him to Hasil... you picked Hasil´s flaw well, too. Not being well in touch with the way others work is a pretty bad thing for a leader and invites all sorts of trouble.

Heh, that got sorta long... hopefully it´s closer to "feedback" than "rambling". XDD
@OneWing
*nod* And I think you´re managing that really well. I mean, I can tell that in a more... typical story he would be the villain. Especially when put in contrast with someone like Hasil. But then, there is a whole lot of points in Royal´s favour, too. Aesling is the first one. Not only that he is true to his mate. But the fact that he chose a simple, sooty-clawed blacksmith before some gilded airhead of a lady means a lot and offsets that arrogance of his somewhat. Then Aesling´s chapter shows pretty clearly she´s happy with him and that tells me a lot, too. Because of that, I don´t feel like he would be a bad clanleader. In short, he doesn´t really strike me as the tyrant type. And that makes his cunning and manipulation nothing but tools, ones that could even be used for the good of the clan. When I compare him to Hasil... you picked Hasil´s flaw well, too. Not being well in touch with the way others work is a pretty bad thing for a leader and invites all sorts of trouble.

Heh, that got sorta long... hopefully it´s closer to "feedback" than "rambling". XDD
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 6 :[/b] Paladin[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30835784] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/308358/30835784.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]For the longest time, I wished that Camilla might tell me what distressed her so. I could see it in her beautiful features, bright Lightning eyes wrought with worry. But whenever I asked what was wrong, she would say it was nothing, that I should not be concerned. Yet, how could I not be? After all, Camilla meant far more to me than just being a gorgeous companion and the mother of my lovely children. It was she who first conceived of the idea of the Night Guard -- how brilliant to hire a group of nocturnal dragons to protect the lair in the evening hours, providing some much-needed peace of mind to the Day Guard as they turned over their posts! Especially since they have such impressive members among their ranks: Voyager, whose prowess with a blade is only exceeded by his strategic mind; Sendi, whose druidic abilities rival if not surpass the mighty Kodama; and Evenglow, the mysterious sorceress. (Hasil is wary about that one; I’m not sure why.) And of course there is our children. For a long while I had been under the impression that they had all been sent into the service of the Lightbringer -- a noble cause, to be certain! But eventually Camilla confided in me that there is one who remained: Chandelier. When I asked if I could see her, Camilla was oddly hesitant. Why? For what reason should I not visit my own daughter? But at last, at a dark hour where the Night Guard held their posts, Camilla led me deep into a peculiar section of forest, deep into an eerie twilit alcove where at last I saw her. Chandelier had grown into a stunning Skydancer, feathers gleaming deep violet like night itself, white swirls circling her coat like so many galaxies. She seemed afraid at first, but I think my gentle demeanor calmed her. I was delighted to see her; I could hardly believe that one so splendid shared my blood, my genes. (Of course she inherited most of her beauty from her mother.) But even then Camilla did not tell me the full truth. Only now at the eleventh hour, with nowhere left to turn, did my beloved Camilla fill me in: Chandelier’s life was in danger. “We must notify the Council!” was my immediate response. “We cannot,” she replied. “The one who is after her is on the council.” “Then -- we must rally the Guard!” I suggested. To this she finally agreed. But even as I gather my faithful sentries together, I am not sure what to tell them. I still have so many questions myself. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] @Morigan I really appreciate all your feedback; I love it that you're getting so into the story and characters :) (Especially that you've noticed the contrast between Hasil and Royal -- those two were some of my very first dragons and pretty much the basis where the whole story sprung from.) Hope you continue to enjoy!
~
~~~
Day 6 : Paladin
30835784.png

For the longest time, I wished that Camilla might tell me what distressed her so. I could see it in her beautiful features, bright Lightning eyes wrought with worry. But whenever I asked what was wrong, she would say it was nothing, that I should not be concerned. Yet, how could I not be? After all, Camilla meant far more to me than just being a gorgeous companion and the mother of my lovely children.

It was she who first conceived of the idea of the Night Guard -- how brilliant to hire a group of nocturnal dragons to protect the lair in the evening hours, providing some much-needed peace of mind to the Day Guard as they turned over their posts! Especially since they have such impressive members among their ranks: Voyager, whose prowess with a blade is only exceeded by his strategic mind; Sendi, whose druidic abilities rival if not surpass the mighty Kodama; and Evenglow, the mysterious sorceress. (Hasil is wary about that one; I’m not sure why.)

And of course there is our children. For a long while I had been under the impression that they had all been sent into the service of the Lightbringer -- a noble cause, to be certain! But eventually Camilla confided in me that there is one who remained: Chandelier. When I asked if I could see her, Camilla was oddly hesitant. Why? For what reason should I not visit my own daughter?

But at last, at a dark hour where the Night Guard held their posts, Camilla led me deep into a peculiar section of forest, deep into an eerie twilit alcove where at last I saw her. Chandelier had grown into a stunning Skydancer, feathers gleaming deep violet like night itself, white swirls circling her coat like so many galaxies. She seemed afraid at first, but I think my gentle demeanor calmed her. I was delighted to see her; I could hardly believe that one so splendid shared my blood, my genes. (Of course she inherited most of her beauty from her mother.)

But even then Camilla did not tell me the full truth. Only now at the eleventh hour, with nowhere left to turn, did my beloved Camilla fill me in: Chandelier’s life was in danger.

“We must notify the Council!” was my immediate response.
“We cannot,” she replied. “The one who is after her is on the council.”

“Then -- we must rally the Guard!” I suggested. To this she finally agreed. But even as I gather my faithful sentries together, I am not sure what to tell them. I still have so many questions myself.
~~~
~

@Morigan I really appreciate all your feedback; I love it that you're getting so into the story and characters :) (Especially that you've noticed the contrast between Hasil and Royal -- those two were some of my very first dragons and pretty much the basis where the whole story sprung from.) Hope you continue to enjoy!
TpW6gwi.png
@Amphithere Oh man thank you, I'm floating away with happiness from your kind words! ^_^ As for advice, all I can really tell you is when I start, I try to put myself in each dragon's shoes and ask myself "what does this dragon care about?" and "What's the best way to convey that?" Then I just kind of let things roll out naturally from there ^^; Since I love my dragons it's just a fun way for me to explore their dynamic.

Feel free to ping me in your own writing projects & I'll give it a look :)
@Amphithere Oh man thank you, I'm floating away with happiness from your kind words! ^_^ As for advice, all I can really tell you is when I start, I try to put myself in each dragon's shoes and ask myself "what does this dragon care about?" and "What's the best way to convey that?" Then I just kind of let things roll out naturally from there ^^; Since I love my dragons it's just a fun way for me to explore their dynamic.

Feel free to ping me in your own writing projects & I'll give it a look :)
TpW6gwi.png
@OneWing
I´ve no doubt I will stay enchanted with your diaries. Every new entry is a proof of that and raises so many new interesting points. Paladin, for example. He seems to be missing a few things. I wonder if the Night Guard were Camilla´s preparation for a powerplay, now forgotten. And of course what is so special about Chandelier. Also... the one who is after her is on the council, are they? Well as of right now, except the clanleader himself, we know only one other member of that council, correct? I think I see what you did there.

Also, I hope you don´t mind if I say you´re sort of my muse right now. Your writing is making me want to really improve my own because... well, what can I say? Yours is just perfect.
@OneWing
I´ve no doubt I will stay enchanted with your diaries. Every new entry is a proof of that and raises so many new interesting points. Paladin, for example. He seems to be missing a few things. I wonder if the Night Guard were Camilla´s preparation for a powerplay, now forgotten. And of course what is so special about Chandelier. Also... the one who is after her is on the council, are they? Well as of right now, except the clanleader himself, we know only one other member of that council, correct? I think I see what you did there.

Also, I hope you don´t mind if I say you´re sort of my muse right now. Your writing is making me want to really improve my own because... well, what can I say? Yours is just perfect.
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 7 :[/b] Nightwing[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30956859] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/309569/30956859.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Hasil, Royal, Paladin, Arodan, Duchess. You probably think those are the big shots around here, eh? Well you’d be wrong! ‘Cause when the sun goes down, all that silly politics and power wars don’t mean nothin’. After dusk, these lands belong to the Night Allies. And do we waste our time bickering and squabbling? Heck no. Me and my ilk are all about one thing: having a good time. The party begins at sundown every day and lasts all the way ‘til dawn, baby! Today marks the first day of Wavecrest Saturnalia, so you better believe we’re in a festive mood. It also marks the second month anniversary since the formation of the Night Allies. It’s no coincidence that we formed during this year’s Trickmurk Circus. We might have dragons of all kinds of elements in our ranks, but in the end, we’re all about one thing: balancing out all the Lighties with a little bit of Shadow, yeah. (Wait, didn’t I already say we were all about having a good time? Same thing!) ‘Cause, see, balance is important. The Light Flight might be all noble and upright in their pursuit of truth and understanding, uh-huh. But any dragon can get too preoccupied with a “noble” goal and forget how to just relax and let it all go. So we Night Allies are the counterbalance. The dark side of the moon. The flip side of the coin that is the Brightwing Clan. And we’re loving every minute of it. Anyhow, I see some killer dancing going on and you know I have to be a part of that so I think it’s time to wrap this thing up. My girl Evenglow is shakin’ things up under the moonlight like nobody’s business. Back off fellas, she’s mine. Nightwing, out! [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] @Morigan Aww that makes me really glad. Nothing's better than knowing that something you worked on is inspiring others to improve. I was inspired in the first place by @Digsie (an awesome writer who invited me to FR to begin with, check out her cool lair) so it seems I'm paying it forward :)
~
~~~
Day 7 : Nightwing
30956859.png

Hasil, Royal, Paladin, Arodan, Duchess. You probably think those are the big shots around here, eh? Well you’d be wrong!

‘Cause when the sun goes down, all that silly politics and power wars don’t mean nothin’. After dusk, these lands belong to the Night Allies. And do we waste our time bickering and squabbling? Heck no. Me and my ilk are all about one thing: having a good time. The party begins at sundown every day and lasts all the way ‘til dawn, baby!

Today marks the first day of Wavecrest Saturnalia, so you better believe we’re in a festive mood. It also marks the second month anniversary since the formation of the Night Allies. It’s no coincidence that we formed during this year’s Trickmurk Circus. We might have dragons of all kinds of elements in our ranks, but in the end, we’re all about one thing: balancing out all the Lighties with a little bit of Shadow, yeah. (Wait, didn’t I already say we were all about having a good time? Same thing!)

‘Cause, see, balance is important. The Light Flight might be all noble and upright in their pursuit of truth and understanding, uh-huh. But any dragon can get too preoccupied with a “noble” goal and forget how to just relax and let it all go. So we Night Allies are the counterbalance. The dark side of the moon. The flip side of the coin that is the Brightwing Clan.

And we’re loving every minute of it.

Anyhow, I see some killer dancing going on and you know I have to be a part of that so I think it’s time to wrap this thing up. My girl Evenglow is shakin’ things up under the moonlight like nobody’s business. Back off fellas, she’s mine. Nightwing, out!
~~~
~

@Morigan Aww that makes me really glad. Nothing's better than knowing that something you worked on is inspiring others to improve. I was inspired in the first place by @Digsie (an awesome writer who invited me to FR to begin with, check out her cool lair) so it seems I'm paying it forward :)
TpW6gwi.png
Nightwing makes me smile! I love his confidence and relaxed communication, it really puts off such a different and down-to-earth vibe, akin to Aesling. He really does embody a counterbalance to some of the faces seen during the daytime.
Nightwing makes me smile! I love his confidence and relaxed communication, it really puts off such a different and down-to-earth vibe, akin to Aesling. He really does embody a counterbalance to some of the faces seen during the daytime.
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
@OneWing
You sure are. I´m finding it´s not easy, to get into a character´s head like this. But I think I pulled it off for one chapter at least. XD

Anyway! Another chapter, another character and so different too. Nightwing... I don´t know about him. He does give off an easy going vibe, but... it almost sounds like he got close to letting his mouth run off with him at one point there, so he changed topic abruptly. All about having a good time, ech? But Shadow tends to keep a lot of secrets, too, don´t they? At any rate, all this talk about her is making me curious about Evenglow.
@OneWing
You sure are. I´m finding it´s not easy, to get into a character´s head like this. But I think I pulled it off for one chapter at least. XD

Anyway! Another chapter, another character and so different too. Nightwing... I don´t know about him. He does give off an easy going vibe, but... it almost sounds like he got close to letting his mouth run off with him at one point there, so he changed topic abruptly. All about having a good time, ech? But Shadow tends to keep a lot of secrets, too, don´t they? At any rate, all this talk about her is making me curious about Evenglow.
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 8 :[/b] Hasil[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=25238078] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/252381/25238078.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]I have come to accept that I can never look at knowledge the same way again. Most dragons can always trace the source of the knowledge they have. Either, ‘I learned that through experience,’ or ‘I read that in a book,’ or ‘A friend told this to me.’ And it used to be the same for me. But ever since my quest for self-betterment led to unlocking the so-called gift of Illumination, nothing has been the same. Information comes to me in literal flashes -- sudden and unexplained. It’s not as good as it sounds. Without context, knowledge tends to lead only to confusion. And admittedly it has been helpful sometimes. Like last week, when the Nymphs were complaining that the new tea merchant, Cynthia, had been plucking rare herbs from the grasslands and they feared for its extinction. Suddenly the flash of knowledge I had a few days prior, “Sylphweed can be found on the eastern ridge,” actually meant something. I spoke these words to Cynthia and peace resumed. This morning I had another “flash,” but it made even less sense than those prior. Arodan noticed me rubbing my eyes, sidled over beside me. “Did you have another one?” “I don’t understand it,” I confided with a sigh. “This one was just five words. It’s not even informative.” She leaned close. “Tell them to me.” “The words were, ‘Can you grant my wish?’” A grin flickered over her gentle features. “I think I can do that,” she said, nudging her forehead to mine. A smile escaped me -- I did like seeing this lighter side to Arodan, even if she enjoyed this new gift of mine a lot more than I did. “If only it was you I was intended to say the words to. It probably won’t be that simple.” “I don’t like the idea of you asking some other dragon to grant you a wish,” she admitted. I shook my head. “I don’t either. I’ve never liked asking others to do things for me. If I want something done, that should be my own job.” She stretched, the morning sun catching along her blue wings. “I just hope whoever it is isn’t too pretty.” “Hey.” I nudged her. “Even if she was the most stunning dragon in all Sornieth, you have nothing to worry about. I’m not that idiot anymore, I swear.” “Well if you were, they couldn’t exactly call you Hasil the Illuminated, could they?” Her eyes sparkled. “You really like that, don’t you?” I drew her close, claws brushing appreciatively along her neck. Faithful Arodan, always keeping me sane. “Well, at least one of us does.”[/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 8 : Hasil
25238078.png

I have come to accept that I can never look at knowledge the same way again.

Most dragons can always trace the source of the knowledge they have. Either, ‘I learned that through experience,’ or ‘I read that in a book,’ or ‘A friend told this to me.’ And it used to be the same for me. But ever since my quest for self-betterment led to unlocking the so-called gift of Illumination, nothing has been the same. Information comes to me in literal flashes -- sudden and unexplained. It’s not as good as it sounds. Without context, knowledge tends to lead only to confusion.

And admittedly it has been helpful sometimes. Like last week, when the Nymphs were complaining that the new tea merchant, Cynthia, had been plucking rare herbs from the grasslands and they feared for its extinction. Suddenly the flash of knowledge I had a few days prior, “Sylphweed can be found on the eastern ridge,” actually meant something. I spoke these words to Cynthia and peace resumed.

This morning I had another “flash,” but it made even less sense than those prior.

Arodan noticed me rubbing my eyes, sidled over beside me. “Did you have another one?”
“I don’t understand it,” I confided with a sigh. “This one was just five words. It’s not even informative.”
She leaned close. “Tell them to me.”
“The words were, ‘Can you grant my wish?’”

A grin flickered over her gentle features. “I think I can do that,” she said, nudging her forehead to mine.
A smile escaped me -- I did like seeing this lighter side to Arodan, even if she enjoyed this new gift of mine a lot more than I did. “If only it was you I was intended to say the words to. It probably won’t be that simple.”

“I don’t like the idea of you asking some other dragon to grant you a wish,” she admitted.
I shook my head. “I don’t either. I’ve never liked asking others to do things for me. If I want something done, that should be my own job.”
She stretched, the morning sun catching along her blue wings. “I just hope whoever it is isn’t too pretty.”
“Hey.” I nudged her. “Even if she was the most stunning dragon in all Sornieth, you have nothing to worry about. I’m not that idiot anymore, I swear.”

“Well if you were, they couldn’t exactly call you Hasil the Illuminated, could they?” Her eyes sparkled.
“You really like that, don’t you?” I drew her close, claws brushing appreciatively along her neck. Faithful Arodan, always keeping me sane. “Well, at least one of us does.”
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
@OneWing (Should I even keep pinging you?)
Anyways, there is one thing I noticed about this one. (And I see you aren´t letting me drag any extra info out of you, so I don´t get my hopes up anymore, but I´m still gonna say it. XD Poke me if you ever want me to stop.) Hasil getting flashes of information is clever and totally a Light thing. But this last one isn´t information anymore. That´s just something putting words into his maw. That feels like something that would be closer to prophecy and Water flight. Maybe that´s just Wavecrest, or maybe I´m reading too much into things... but I´m not going to be surprised if something weird is going on with this "gift" of his.
@OneWing (Should I even keep pinging you?)
Anyways, there is one thing I noticed about this one. (And I see you aren´t letting me drag any extra info out of you, so I don´t get my hopes up anymore, but I´m still gonna say it. XD Poke me if you ever want me to stop.) Hasil getting flashes of information is clever and totally a Light thing. But this last one isn´t information anymore. That´s just something putting words into his maw. That feels like something that would be closer to prophecy and Water flight. Maybe that´s just Wavecrest, or maybe I´m reading too much into things... but I´m not going to be surprised if something weird is going on with this "gift" of his.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31