Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Diaries Round 12 - Complete!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31
@Morigan Well I'm subbed to the thread so the ping isn't necessary, but it's all fine :) As you noted, I'm not about to give anything away, but I'm still happy to hear your speculation so feel free to keep posting them! All I'll say concerning your most recent observation is that Hasil is just as confused as you are. ;)
@Morigan Well I'm subbed to the thread so the ping isn't necessary, but it's all fine :) As you noted, I'm not about to give anything away, but I'm still happy to hear your speculation so feel free to keep posting them! All I'll say concerning your most recent observation is that Hasil is just as confused as you are. ;)
TpW6gwi.png
Heh, likewise. :D
And I´ll be happy to keep doing what I´m doing right now, because it´s fun to try and guess at where your hints are leading. So I´ll do just that while patiently waiting for the big bang I can just feel coming up. XD It´s funny, though, that at least there´s two of us here confuzzled.
Heh, likewise. :D
And I´ll be happy to keep doing what I´m doing right now, because it´s fun to try and guess at where your hints are leading. So I´ll do just that while patiently waiting for the big bang I can just feel coming up. XD It´s funny, though, that at least there´s two of us here confuzzled.
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 9 :[/b] Veritas[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28379713] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/283798/28379713.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]For once I’m not being impulsive. Imagine that, right? Heh. Serah pressed me not to do anything at all. “It’s a trick,” she insisted, “You know how Duchess is.” And yeah, I know -- she’s a manipulative snake. But I also know that she never, ever shows emotion. That day when I demanded she step down and turn her position back to Hasil? Not so much of a flickering on her face. She kept her shoulders rolled back and head held high like always. But that display the other day was the first time I’d ever seen her lose control. Kinda reminded me of, well, me. (Hey, I can admit it.) And Duchess was right about one thing. Using a magic spell to protect someone in danger? That’s exactly what my brother would do. Hieroglyph. But he isn’t around so, guess it’s up to me. I had no idea who this hiding Skydancer was or where to find her, but I did have a good idea who might. I sought out my new friend at his usual place -- these stony ruins of what once must have been some sort of impressive coliseum. Now it was just a bunch of collapsed pillars and stone. But sure enough there he was: sword drawn in the dark of night, sparring across the weathered tiles with that little shadowy-spirit thing that always follows him around. So caught up in the fight, he didn’t notice my arrival until his mate, who was draped across a fallen pillar nearby, spoke up. “Someone approaches.” He paused in midstroke, setting that stony gaze upon me. “Veritas.” “Voyager,” I said. I explained everything best I could -- that I was looking for some kind of Skydancer supposedly hiding in the wood, and if they had any idea where I could find her. Voyager and Sendi exchanged a single, pointed glance, and in that one look I saw it all: They knew, but they weren’t going to tell me. “Apologies, friend,” he finally said. “We’ve been instructed not to reveal her. Not to anyone.” “Instructed?” I questioned, annoyed. “By who?” A quiet voice spoke up behind me. “That would be me.” The air seemed to get about twenty degrees colder. I turned, spotted a pair of glowing fuchsia eyes. A robed Pearlcatcher stepped forth from the mist, black chains hanging heavy from her wings that clattered ominously as she walked. “You’re Evenglow,” I said, recognizing the sorceress. “And you’re Veritas.” A thin smile flickered on her jaw, reminding me of Hasil’s mate Arodan. “I know your story. Power is the last thing you want. So you’re no threat to Chandelier. Come.” She turned. “I’ll take you to her.”[/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 9 : Veritas
28379713.png

For once I’m not being impulsive. Imagine that, right? Heh. Serah pressed me not to do anything at all. “It’s a trick,” she insisted, “You know how Duchess is.” And yeah, I know -- she’s a manipulative snake. But I also know that she never, ever shows emotion. That day when I demanded she step down and turn her position back to Hasil? Not so much of a flickering on her face. She kept her shoulders rolled back and head held high like always. But that display the other day was the first time I’d ever seen her lose control. Kinda reminded me of, well, me. (Hey, I can admit it.)

And Duchess was right about one thing. Using a magic spell to protect someone in danger? That’s exactly what my brother would do. Hieroglyph. But he isn’t around so, guess it’s up to me.

I had no idea who this hiding Skydancer was or where to find her, but I did have a good idea who might. I sought out my new friend at his usual place -- these stony ruins of what once must have been some sort of impressive coliseum. Now it was just a bunch of collapsed pillars and stone. But sure enough there he was: sword drawn in the dark of night, sparring across the weathered tiles with that little shadowy-spirit thing that always follows him around. So caught up in the fight, he didn’t notice my arrival until his mate, who was draped across a fallen pillar nearby, spoke up. “Someone approaches.”

He paused in midstroke, setting that stony gaze upon me. “Veritas.”

“Voyager,” I said. I explained everything best I could -- that I was looking for some kind of Skydancer supposedly hiding in the wood, and if they had any idea where I could find her. Voyager and Sendi exchanged a single, pointed glance, and in that one look I saw it all: They knew, but they weren’t going to tell me.

“Apologies, friend,” he finally said. “We’ve been instructed not to reveal her. Not to anyone.”
“Instructed?” I questioned, annoyed. “By who?”
A quiet voice spoke up behind me. “That would be me.”

The air seemed to get about twenty degrees colder. I turned, spotted a pair of glowing fuchsia eyes. A robed Pearlcatcher stepped forth from the mist, black chains hanging heavy from her wings that clattered ominously as she walked.

“You’re Evenglow,” I said, recognizing the sorceress.

“And you’re Veritas.” A thin smile flickered on her jaw, reminding me of Hasil’s mate Arodan. “I know your story. Power is the last thing you want. So you’re no threat to Chandelier. Come.” She turned. “I’ll take you to her.”
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 10 :[/b] Camilla[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30178600] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/301787/30178600.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]Beauty, strength, wit, cunning. I truly had it all. My wings shimmered like moonlight. I could cleave any foe with my halberd. And best of all, I knew how to scheme to get anything I wanted. And I wanted everything. I deserved everything, of this I was certain. All dragonkind should look upon me in awe of all I am, all that they are not. That was my wish. In my young age I uncovered several prophecies concerning the granting of wishes. Most were clearly fake; some just seemed far too vague or impossible to fulfill. But one very simple verse tucked in the back of an ancient tome hidden in the lower depths of the Mirrorlight Archives captivated me body and soul. A daughter born of Day and Night, will grant one Wish by full moon's Light. How quaint, I thought. You see, I styled myself as a Dark Knight -- evening’s might taking dragon form. Now all that had to be done was find a man who embodied Daylight, have a child with him, and just like that, there would be my Wishgranter. Certainly an easy enough task for one such as me. Not surprisingly, I found a suitable male in the Sunbeam Ruins. An expert on Light Flight culture, Paladin was aiding a formerly Arcane clan transition into their new home when I found him. Swiftly, I made him mine. And after waiting with bated breath, her egg hatched. My gorgeous rare diamond. My Chandelier. I gazed upon the beautiful hatchling of mine and knew she had to be the one. I couldn’t wait for the next full moon, which would surely expose her full power. By this time, the clan loremaster had found me out. He too knew the prophecy, but foresaw only great danger in its fulfillment. He warned me not to see it through, but there was no stopping me. I had my wishgranter and would be getting my wish! What I witnessed on the next full moon could be deemed nothing short of splendorous. Under its light, my daughter transformed! I could practically see the power radiating through her. I’m sure I looked like a giddy fool as I asked the most obvious question. And received the most horrifying answer. Could she grant my wish? Yes -- but at the cost her very soul, all her life energy spent on making it into being. In a blink, my world changed. Priorities reshaped themselves as though under a magic spell. No, I would not let my daughter die. Not for my wish, not for anyone’s. Because without her, what would I be anymore? What would I deserve? Absolutely nothing.[/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] Confession: When I started this second round of Dragon Diaries, I had not been planning to make them so plot-centric. But now with only 2 days to go, and knowing who those two dragons will be, I can say that the ongoing plot will definitely reach its conclusion by day 12 :)
~
~~~
Day 10 : Camilla
30178600.png

Beauty, strength, wit, cunning. I truly had it all. My wings shimmered like moonlight. I could cleave any foe with my halberd. And best of all, I knew how to scheme to get anything I wanted. And I wanted everything. I deserved everything, of this I was certain. All dragonkind should look upon me in awe of all I am, all that they are not. That was my wish.

In my young age I uncovered several prophecies concerning the granting of wishes. Most were clearly fake; some just seemed far too vague or impossible to fulfill. But one very simple verse tucked in the back of an ancient tome hidden in the lower depths of the Mirrorlight Archives captivated me body and soul.

A daughter born of Day and Night, will grant one Wish by full moon's Light.

How quaint, I thought. You see, I styled myself as a Dark Knight -- evening’s might taking dragon form. Now all that had to be done was find a man who embodied Daylight, have a child with him, and just like that, there would be my Wishgranter. Certainly an easy enough task for one such as me. Not surprisingly, I found a suitable male in the Sunbeam Ruins. An expert on Light Flight culture, Paladin was aiding a formerly Arcane clan transition into their new home when I found him. Swiftly, I made him mine.

And after waiting with bated breath, her egg hatched. My gorgeous rare diamond. My Chandelier. I gazed upon the beautiful hatchling of mine and knew she had to be the one. I couldn’t wait for the next full moon, which would surely expose her full power.
By this time, the clan loremaster had found me out. He too knew the prophecy, but foresaw only great danger in its fulfillment. He warned me not to see it through, but there was no stopping me. I had my wishgranter and would be getting my wish!

What I witnessed on the next full moon could be deemed nothing short of splendorous. Under its light, my daughter transformed! I could practically see the power radiating through her. I’m sure I looked like a giddy fool as I asked the most obvious question.
And received the most horrifying answer.

Could she grant my wish? Yes -- but at the cost her very soul, all her life energy spent on making it into being.

In a blink, my world changed. Priorities reshaped themselves as though under a magic spell. No, I would not let my daughter die. Not for my wish, not for anyone’s. Because without her, what would I be anymore? What would I deserve?

Absolutely nothing.
~~~
~

Confession: When I started this second round of Dragon Diaries, I had not been planning to make them so plot-centric. But now with only 2 days to go, and knowing who those two dragons will be, I can say that the ongoing plot will definitely reach its conclusion by day 12 :)
TpW6gwi.png
Oh. Oh! Suddenly it all makes so much sense. Hasil and the question that came to him. He´s supposed to ask Chandelier. But then she´ll tell him what she told Camilla so the poor drake really won´t have it easy. Will probably try and help protect Chandelier. Which won´t be easy on him, nor Arodan, I suspect. She didn´t come across too confident.
And then, naturally, the reason why Royal was agonizing so much over choosing a single wish is suddenly clear too. And that gets me thinking. What is the use of searching for the Wishgranter if you don´t know what you´ll wish for yet? The Night Allies might think they´re doing a good job hiding Chandelier, but it might just be that Royal didn´t start really searching yet.
Eeek, a lot of answers, a lot of new questions and generally... you really do know how to make people hang on your every word. *nodnod*
Oh. Oh! Suddenly it all makes so much sense. Hasil and the question that came to him. He´s supposed to ask Chandelier. But then she´ll tell him what she told Camilla so the poor drake really won´t have it easy. Will probably try and help protect Chandelier. Which won´t be easy on him, nor Arodan, I suspect. She didn´t come across too confident.
And then, naturally, the reason why Royal was agonizing so much over choosing a single wish is suddenly clear too. And that gets me thinking. What is the use of searching for the Wishgranter if you don´t know what you´ll wish for yet? The Night Allies might think they´re doing a good job hiding Chandelier, but it might just be that Royal didn´t start really searching yet.
Eeek, a lot of answers, a lot of new questions and generally... you really do know how to make people hang on your every word. *nodnod*
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 11 :[/b] Evenglow[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30389502] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/303896/30389502.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]A full moon unveiled itself from behind a streamer of cloud. And I smiled, despite everything: I have always loved the sight. Sunlight is much too oppressive, like the stares of dragons who know you don’t belong. But the mellow luminescence of a land bathed in moonlight -- that is what I love. That is what I call home. “It’s time,” I told Veritas. “You’d best cast that spell.” The red Pearlcatcher turned, digging through the pouches at his waist. His actions became increasingly frenzied as he worked, claws scraping through leather. “What? No. You’ve got to be kidding me!” Veritas howled, stomping the ground. “The tome -- the one Duchess gave me, I can’t find it!” I raised an eyebrow at the sudden display. “Stay calm,” I advised. “Where did you see it last?” “I put it in these pouches right before coming here! Except --” A frown darkened his features. “The butler guy. Summersby. He stopped me on the way, asking me to move a few piles of stones for him. I get that a lot, so I didn’t think much of it. But--” "Summersby works for Duchess, correct?” I smoothed my robes. “An elaborate prank? Give it to you only to have her servant steal it away?” He sighed. “Heck if I know!” I shook my head, gaze moving to the horizon. “Well, it doesn’t matter. For all we know, maybe nothing will happen. And if something does, the Night Allies are on standby.” It felt strange, saying that about my friends. We never intended to get involved in any sort of conflict -- it’s not what we do. And that’s exactly what I told Camilla when she first sought out our help. The world is a miserable place, that’s just a fact. You can either cry about it, or create your own happiness. That’s what I did. And I taught my friends to do the same. But after Camilla explained the situation, I was a bit more sympathetic: Chandelier suffered for the sins of her mother, a victim of circumstance like me, except a little more dire. I gave her my assurances that we would do whatever we can. And just as I reflected on this, Nightwing came sprinting in, features lit up in alarm. “You won’t believe it, babe! So that golden Imp is heading this way, and he’s got like a crapton of dragons with him. And they look like they mean business. Like, serious business.” “So he means to take her after all. Well, without that protection spell, it’s all on us.” I glanced behind my shoulder. “Veritas? Keep an eye on Chandelier. Nightwing -- you ready for this?” The ridgeback straightened. “You kidding? You and me babe, we could take out a whole army, easy.” I found myself envying his bravado. “We’ll see,” was all I could say as we headed out. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center]
~
~~~
Day 11 : Evenglow
30389502.png

A full moon unveiled itself from behind a streamer of cloud. And I smiled, despite everything: I have always loved the sight. Sunlight is much too oppressive, like the stares of dragons who know you don’t belong. But the mellow luminescence of a land bathed in moonlight -- that is what I love. That is what I call home.

“It’s time,” I told Veritas. “You’d best cast that spell.”
The red Pearlcatcher turned, digging through the pouches at his waist. His actions became increasingly frenzied as he worked, claws scraping through leather. “What? No. You’ve got to be kidding me!” Veritas howled, stomping the ground. “The tome -- the one Duchess gave me, I can’t find it!”
I raised an eyebrow at the sudden display. “Stay calm,” I advised. “Where did you see it last?”
“I put it in these pouches right before coming here! Except --” A frown darkened his features. “The butler guy. Summersby. He stopped me on the way, asking me to move a few piles of stones for him. I get that a lot, so I didn’t think much of it. But--”

"Summersby works for Duchess, correct?” I smoothed my robes. “An elaborate prank? Give it to you only to have her servant steal it away?”
He sighed. “Heck if I know!”

I shook my head, gaze moving to the horizon. “Well, it doesn’t matter. For all we know, maybe nothing will happen. And if something does, the Night Allies are on standby.”

It felt strange, saying that about my friends. We never intended to get involved in any sort of conflict -- it’s not what we do. And that’s exactly what I told Camilla when she first sought out our help. The world is a miserable place, that’s just a fact. You can either cry about it, or create your own happiness. That’s what I did. And I taught my friends to do the same. But after Camilla explained the situation, I was a bit more sympathetic: Chandelier suffered for the sins of her mother, a victim of circumstance like me, except a little more dire.

I gave her my assurances that we would do whatever we can.

And just as I reflected on this, Nightwing came sprinting in, features lit up in alarm. “You won’t believe it, babe! So that golden Imp is heading this way, and he’s got like a crapton of dragons with him. And they look like they mean business. Like, serious business.”
“So he means to take her after all. Well, without that protection spell, it’s all on us.” I glanced behind my shoulder. “Veritas? Keep an eye on Chandelier. Nightwing -- you ready for this?”
The ridgeback straightened. “You kidding? You and me babe, we could take out a whole army, easy.”

I found myself envying his bravado. “We’ll see,” was all I could say as we headed out.
~~~
~
TpW6gwi.png
*respectful nod* Well, played, Summersby. Very, very well played. Not only does that help Royal´s cause as is the intention. It throws blame on Duchess, too. Now most won´t believe she isn´t on Royal´s side, too. Hopefully (from this side´s point of view at least) that´ll make her pull herself back together.

Eta: Summersby´s name gives me serious grief. >.>
*respectful nod* Well, played, Summersby. Very, very well played. Not only does that help Royal´s cause as is the intention. It throws blame on Duchess, too. Now most won´t believe she isn´t on Royal´s side, too. Hopefully (from this side´s point of view at least) that´ll make her pull herself back together.

Eta: Summersby´s name gives me serious grief. >.>
[center]~ ~~~ [b]Day 12 :[/b] Chandelier[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31575112] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/315752/31575112.png[/img] [/url] [/center] [indent][i]My life is not mine. My purpose is not to bring fulfillment to myself, but to another. A part of me has always known this. And I’ve been scared. I only just received this life, I don’t want to give it up so soon… Yet I’m also grateful. For all that my mother and father have done, gathering their friends, so many dragons fighting to keep me safe. It’s perplexing, that they would do all this for me. I’m also grateful to Cosmic for showing me what it’s like to love. He treasured me before I knew I was worthy to be treasured. So even if this night is my last, at least I have these things to look on and smile. From the distance, I could hear loud noises. The clatter of metal on metal. Blasts of unleashed magic. Roars of dragons locked in battle. The Pearlcatcher with the golden runes lining his body, Veritas, lingered a few feet away from me. He paced, impatient, his eyes locked on the horizon. I think he disliked it that he wasn’t involved, that he was forced to wait with me. But I was glad of his presence. Every flash of distant movement made my heartbeat leap, thinking that at last he had come -- the golden Imperial, the one who was after me. Veritas and I straightened in alarm when a silhouetted dragon appeared, approaching us. The glow of moonlight gleamed through flowing golden robes across his body. A dangerous-looking sword was hilted at his waist. But he was a Pearlcatcher, not an Imperial. I fought to slow my breathing. He wasn’t the enemy… was he? “Hasil!” Excitement and urgency melded in Veritas’ tone. “Good that you’re here. Royal and his ilk are trying to capture this Skydancer. He needs to be stopped!” The one called Hasil nodded faintly, but seemed distracted, a depth of thought reflected in his gaze as it fell upon me. “You must be the one,” he said, like one having an epiphany. I wasn’t sure what he meant. “I’m Chandelier,” was all I could think to say, my voice coming out thin and meek. He nodded again. “Then -- Chandelier. Can you grant my wish?” A stab of dread burst through my chest. I’d been betrayed. All these dragons fighting to protect me from one who would use my power, and yet this Hasil, in the guise of friendship, was about to do just that. “Hasil, no--” Veritas began. But Hasil turned, touching the other Pearlcatcher’s shoulder. They exchanged gazes -- a wordless request for trust. Veritas dipped his head in concession. Then Hasil turned his eyes to mine, asking for the same exchange. I shivered. Swallowed, my throat tight. How could I trust this stranger who had spoke the words I’ve long dreaded? And yet in those golden eyes I saw no greed. Only assurance. “Yes,” I told him, voice clear. “Yes, I can.” “Then… I wish for your freedom,” said Hasil. And just like that, I felt it. A fissure, bursting deep within my chest. The spiraling galaxies trapped in my core expanded out to surround me, vivid, shining, wild: My life energy, the soul of a Wishmaster. Freed. [/i][/indent] [center]~~~ ~[/center] And thus ends the second round of Dragon Diaries! Thanks to everyone reading along and participating, I appreciate your feedback so much. It was another fun ride -- and now I need to update everybody's bios considering all the game-changing events from the last twelve days, hahah. I will more than likely start up a third round sometime in the future, since my precious dergs are definitely keeping me inspired. So keep watch for that :)
~
~~~
Day 12 : Chandelier
31575112.png

My life is not mine. My purpose is not to bring fulfillment to myself, but to another. A part of me has always known this. And I’ve been scared. I only just received this life, I don’t want to give it up so soon…

Yet I’m also grateful. For all that my mother and father have done, gathering their friends, so many dragons fighting to keep me safe. It’s perplexing, that they would do all this for me. I’m also grateful to Cosmic for showing me what it’s like to love. He treasured me before I knew I was worthy to be treasured. So even if this night is my last, at least I have these things to look on and smile.

From the distance, I could hear loud noises. The clatter of metal on metal. Blasts of unleashed magic. Roars of dragons locked in battle. The Pearlcatcher with the golden runes lining his body, Veritas, lingered a few feet away from me. He paced, impatient, his eyes locked on the horizon. I think he disliked it that he wasn’t involved, that he was forced to wait with me. But I was glad of his presence. Every flash of distant movement made my heartbeat leap, thinking that at last he had come -- the golden Imperial, the one who was after me.

Veritas and I straightened in alarm when a silhouetted dragon appeared, approaching us. The glow of moonlight gleamed through flowing golden robes across his body. A dangerous-looking sword was hilted at his waist. But he was a Pearlcatcher, not an Imperial. I fought to slow my breathing. He wasn’t the enemy… was he?

“Hasil!” Excitement and urgency melded in Veritas’ tone. “Good that you’re here. Royal and his ilk are trying to capture this Skydancer. He needs to be stopped!”

The one called Hasil nodded faintly, but seemed distracted, a depth of thought reflected in his gaze as it fell upon me. “You must be the one,” he said, like one having an epiphany.
I wasn’t sure what he meant. “I’m Chandelier,” was all I could think to say, my voice coming out thin and meek.

He nodded again. “Then -- Chandelier. Can you grant my wish?”

A stab of dread burst through my chest. I’d been betrayed. All these dragons fighting to protect me from one who would use my power, and yet this Hasil, in the guise of friendship, was about to do just that.

“Hasil, no--” Veritas began. But Hasil turned, touching the other Pearlcatcher’s shoulder. They exchanged gazes -- a wordless request for trust. Veritas dipped his head in concession. Then Hasil turned his eyes to mine, asking for the same exchange. I shivered. Swallowed, my throat tight. How could I trust this stranger who had spoke the words I’ve long dreaded? And yet in those golden eyes I saw no greed. Only assurance.

“Yes,” I told him, voice clear. “Yes, I can.”

“Then… I wish for your freedom,” said Hasil.

And just like that, I felt it. A fissure, bursting deep within my chest. The spiraling galaxies trapped in my core expanded out to surround me, vivid, shining, wild: My life energy, the soul of a Wishmaster.

Freed.
~~~
~

And thus ends the second round of Dragon Diaries! Thanks to everyone reading along and participating, I appreciate your feedback so much. It was another fun ride -- and now I need to update everybody's bios considering all the game-changing events from the last twelve days, hahah.

I will more than likely start up a third round sometime in the future, since my precious dergs are definitely keeping me inspired. So keep watch for that :)
TpW6gwi.png
Well... wow. A great twist for the finale and you´re kept me guessing to the very end. I do wonder if Chandelier survived, since the wish was formulated like that or if it´s freedom for her spirit. Anyway, amazing work! *applauds*
Well... wow. A great twist for the finale and you´re kept me guessing to the very end. I do wonder if Chandelier survived, since the wish was formulated like that or if it´s freedom for her spirit. Anyway, amazing work! *applauds*
******************Bonus Scene******************

The Nocturne drew her peony robes tight around her body as she set foot in the dark corridor that served as her father's quarters. A hearth danced with light in the back of the room, casting a dramatic shadow outward from the tall figure within, waiting for her.

"You wished to see me, Father?" She kept her tone even, hands kept close to her chest.

"Quite so." Royal beckoned her closer. "Do you happen to recognize this, my precious Duchess?" The towering Imperial drew a hand into his rich scarlet robes, retrieving a small, dusty tome.

The Nocturne utterly failed to conceal the surprise that leaped across her features. "I... do believe I've seen it once before."

"Mm." Her father smiled. "Yes, I thought so." Without warning he tossed the book into the hearth, flames licking up the ancient bindings.

Duchess winced.

"I just summoned you to ask if I could count on your continued loyalty," Royal went on, ignoring the darkening plumes of smoke rising into the chamber. "So. Can I?"

The Nocturne's gaze retreated amidst the scarlet carpeting. "Of course, Father. I am your creature, to the last."

Royal's grin broadened, lighting up his red eyes. "Good."

"You know, that was a very rare tome. If the librarians discovered you burned it, they'll be very cross."

"You don't say? Ah, my dear Duchess. I don't believe I have anything to fear from the rage of librarians." The deep strains of Royal's laughter echoed through the depths of the corridor.

Yeah so I cheated a bit... but there was one dangling plot thread I wanted to tie up. So consider this kind of a post-credits scene or something. ;)
******************Bonus Scene******************

The Nocturne drew her peony robes tight around her body as she set foot in the dark corridor that served as her father's quarters. A hearth danced with light in the back of the room, casting a dramatic shadow outward from the tall figure within, waiting for her.

"You wished to see me, Father?" She kept her tone even, hands kept close to her chest.

"Quite so." Royal beckoned her closer. "Do you happen to recognize this, my precious Duchess?" The towering Imperial drew a hand into his rich scarlet robes, retrieving a small, dusty tome.

The Nocturne utterly failed to conceal the surprise that leaped across her features. "I... do believe I've seen it once before."

"Mm." Her father smiled. "Yes, I thought so." Without warning he tossed the book into the hearth, flames licking up the ancient bindings.

Duchess winced.

"I just summoned you to ask if I could count on your continued loyalty," Royal went on, ignoring the darkening plumes of smoke rising into the chamber. "So. Can I?"

The Nocturne's gaze retreated amidst the scarlet carpeting. "Of course, Father. I am your creature, to the last."

Royal's grin broadened, lighting up his red eyes. "Good."

"You know, that was a very rare tome. If the librarians discovered you burned it, they'll be very cross."

"You don't say? Ah, my dear Duchess. I don't believe I have anything to fear from the rage of librarians." The deep strains of Royal's laughter echoed through the depths of the corridor.

Yeah so I cheated a bit... but there was one dangling plot thread I wanted to tie up. So consider this kind of a post-credits scene or something. ;)
TpW6gwi.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31