Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Magical Acumen (Under Renovation)
1 2
In my lore, there are two categories of magic and the elements are subtypes. Their are Auric and Soul. Auric magic is exuded by the cells of the dragon's body and make a halo like form around the dragon that others can see if they are looking for it. It is unique to each dragon. The other, soul, is magic that is ambient, but is focused within the soul of the dragon. I have summaries of the two here, what do you guys think?

Auric:
This is the magic of the body. The magic used is exuded by the cells of the body in a halo like effect. All mages and non mages possess this in some form. The more powerful the mage, the larger or more dense it is. Its color and "Texture" depend on the dragon and their element. This Auric magic increases the rate at which cells release magic, which also exhausts them of energy and fuel, rendering the user easily tired after its use. Magic of this form is more easily accessed due to the body always having it. It does not have to be absorbed from the environment. Most mages rely on this secondarily compared to other magic. The more Stamina a dragon has, the longer this source of magic will generally last. Most practitioners of this magic use it to enhance their bodies, as that drains as little of the magic as possible, but there are exceptions. The expenditure of all Auric energy can cause the body to harm itself under the metabolic strain. The body can lose calories and weight at a great rate. Casting a spell to make rain can expend as many calories as flying for thirty miles in a manner of seconds.

Soul:
This is the magic of the soul. It is generally considered more powerful than Auric magic due to its ability to replenish from the environment without need for food and rest and its general stronger nature. It is just as dangerous if not more so to use however. Channeling soul based magic is done through the body and out of focal points like mouths, tails, or paws; or sometimes objects like rings, staves, or weapons. The focusing of large amounts of magic can physically damage the user. Lightning and fire magic requires large amounts of energy and as such, even with thermal protection, the users are still often burned by their magical channeling.

The expenditure of soul magic is less physically harmful than Auric casting, but is still dangerous. Should too much magic be used, the soul begins to lose cohesion and stability. Should magical levels get to low, the soul begins to break apart. Should it be lost or damaged, the mage could die under the strain or lose their heart and become a monster. The loss of their soul does not necessarily mean that they would become evil, but they would have to rely on Auric energy until their body starts to absorb ambient magic again. Without a soul, the body can absorb massive amounts of magic over time, but not quickly. The soul naturally draws magic to it, without that, there is a pit where magic falls into when it comes near. The magic can be then accessed with some effort. The loss of the soul also means that the dragon absorbs all magic equally as if it were its own. The pit acts in a similar way to the Shade. The dragon whose soul is gone loses their conscience but not their emotion. They generally become unable to empathise though.

The loss of the soul renders the user highly resistant to magic, as their pit absorbs it to a great extent. Thus, using magic on a soulless empowers them. This same effect is present in those near soulless, as their own magic is sapped by the pit causing the soul to absorb magic at an increased rate. Most soulless are created by overzealous mages who overdo their magic. Others are created on purpose. Most animated creatures and constructs are soulless, as those with souls are conscious and aware and it is seen as inhumane (Indragane) to bind souls to things usually. Soulless constructs are active through magical binds and are not sapient and most are not sentient. Most have the ability to only follow simple commands.
In my lore, there are two categories of magic and the elements are subtypes. Their are Auric and Soul. Auric magic is exuded by the cells of the dragon's body and make a halo like form around the dragon that others can see if they are looking for it. It is unique to each dragon. The other, soul, is magic that is ambient, but is focused within the soul of the dragon. I have summaries of the two here, what do you guys think?

Auric:
This is the magic of the body. The magic used is exuded by the cells of the body in a halo like effect. All mages and non mages possess this in some form. The more powerful the mage, the larger or more dense it is. Its color and "Texture" depend on the dragon and their element. This Auric magic increases the rate at which cells release magic, which also exhausts them of energy and fuel, rendering the user easily tired after its use. Magic of this form is more easily accessed due to the body always having it. It does not have to be absorbed from the environment. Most mages rely on this secondarily compared to other magic. The more Stamina a dragon has, the longer this source of magic will generally last. Most practitioners of this magic use it to enhance their bodies, as that drains as little of the magic as possible, but there are exceptions. The expenditure of all Auric energy can cause the body to harm itself under the metabolic strain. The body can lose calories and weight at a great rate. Casting a spell to make rain can expend as many calories as flying for thirty miles in a manner of seconds.

Soul:
This is the magic of the soul. It is generally considered more powerful than Auric magic due to its ability to replenish from the environment without need for food and rest and its general stronger nature. It is just as dangerous if not more so to use however. Channeling soul based magic is done through the body and out of focal points like mouths, tails, or paws; or sometimes objects like rings, staves, or weapons. The focusing of large amounts of magic can physically damage the user. Lightning and fire magic requires large amounts of energy and as such, even with thermal protection, the users are still often burned by their magical channeling.

The expenditure of soul magic is less physically harmful than Auric casting, but is still dangerous. Should too much magic be used, the soul begins to lose cohesion and stability. Should magical levels get to low, the soul begins to break apart. Should it be lost or damaged, the mage could die under the strain or lose their heart and become a monster. The loss of their soul does not necessarily mean that they would become evil, but they would have to rely on Auric energy until their body starts to absorb ambient magic again. Without a soul, the body can absorb massive amounts of magic over time, but not quickly. The soul naturally draws magic to it, without that, there is a pit where magic falls into when it comes near. The magic can be then accessed with some effort. The loss of the soul also means that the dragon absorbs all magic equally as if it were its own. The pit acts in a similar way to the Shade. The dragon whose soul is gone loses their conscience but not their emotion. They generally become unable to empathise though.

The loss of the soul renders the user highly resistant to magic, as their pit absorbs it to a great extent. Thus, using magic on a soulless empowers them. This same effect is present in those near soulless, as their own magic is sapped by the pit causing the soul to absorb magic at an increased rate. Most soulless are created by overzealous mages who overdo their magic. Others are created on purpose. Most animated creatures and constructs are soulless, as those with souls are conscious and aware and it is seen as inhumane (Indragane) to bind souls to things usually. Soulless constructs are active through magical binds and are not sapient and most are not sentient. Most have the ability to only follow simple commands.
dbpwq3g-7e9d6c9e-85a8-4b9c-bcbd-2d891aef0130.png
Bump
Bump
Holy geez, this is super creative and I really like the concept! *whispers* write a book
Holy geez, this is super creative and I really like the concept! *whispers* write a book
@Zurun

If a dragon is creating a magical object, which sort of magic do you think they might use - or do you think it would depend on the dragon in question?
@Zurun

If a dragon is creating a magical object, which sort of magic do you think they might use - or do you think it would depend on the dragon in question?
Ssnjyqq.pngGqCYo3Z.pngMjhcEqa.png0DjJJeq.pnggbzmCjn.pnggLKyC1J.pngC4p7R9l.pngV2CeOLQ.pngeQ6UJL0.png ICOy8Af.png
@Salathielly

It depends on the dragon. If the enchantment is powerful enough, it can draw only certain magic to it. Some enchantments are neutrally charged and have effects like indestructibility, insane sharpness, magical dampening, or never-heal wounds. A simple enchantment uses the most abundant magic in the environment. Weapons that are not enchanted with necromancy have to be recharged from the user or from the environment. Weapons that have spirits or souls bound to them are generally more powerful and last for longer, but are generally evil because the spirit attached to it is under incredible stress. The spirit goes dark side. Eventually the spirit could hulk out enough to break free, and can you guess who they're going to punch first?
@Salathielly

It depends on the dragon. If the enchantment is powerful enough, it can draw only certain magic to it. Some enchantments are neutrally charged and have effects like indestructibility, insane sharpness, magical dampening, or never-heal wounds. A simple enchantment uses the most abundant magic in the environment. Weapons that are not enchanted with necromancy have to be recharged from the user or from the environment. Weapons that have spirits or souls bound to them are generally more powerful and last for longer, but are generally evil because the spirit attached to it is under incredible stress. The spirit goes dark side. Eventually the spirit could hulk out enough to break free, and can you guess who they're going to punch first?
@Zurun

Makes sense. (This is why enslaving something is never a good idea.) Do you think that mages who regularly draw on magic from their environment do best in their native element thanks to having a similar alignment? (That is to say, a fire dragon could theoretically cast more powerful fire spells in the Ashfall Waste than elsewhere in Sornieth.)
@Zurun

Makes sense. (This is why enslaving something is never a good idea.) Do you think that mages who regularly draw on magic from their environment do best in their native element thanks to having a similar alignment? (That is to say, a fire dragon could theoretically cast more powerful fire spells in the Ashfall Waste than elsewhere in Sornieth.)
Ssnjyqq.pngGqCYo3Z.pngMjhcEqa.png0DjJJeq.pnggbzmCjn.pnggLKyC1J.pngC4p7R9l.pngV2CeOLQ.pngeQ6UJL0.png ICOy8Af.png
@Salathielly

Yup. Strong mages can keep them from doing that though.

I'd say magic is always stronger in its native environment. A few flashes of smoke in the Scarred Wasteland could be a raging inferno in the Ashfall Wastes. In my thinking, magic is magic. It can be turned into any other kind of magic, but turning one aligned magic into another is complicated. Most dragons will simply draw the magic they need from elsewhere, from themselves, or convert it from natural neutral magic in the environment. Skilled mages can use any form of magic, but novices or those that are only trained in one type would have to draw on certain kinds.
@Salathielly

Yup. Strong mages can keep them from doing that though.

I'd say magic is always stronger in its native environment. A few flashes of smoke in the Scarred Wasteland could be a raging inferno in the Ashfall Wastes. In my thinking, magic is magic. It can be turned into any other kind of magic, but turning one aligned magic into another is complicated. Most dragons will simply draw the magic they need from elsewhere, from themselves, or convert it from natural neutral magic in the environment. Skilled mages can use any form of magic, but novices or those that are only trained in one type would have to draw on certain kinds.
@Giraffes

Who needs books when I've got my written lore. If you check out Arnskar here, you'll understand.
@Giraffes

Who needs books when I've got my written lore. If you check out Arnskar here, you'll understand.
@Zurun
CREATIVE! I prefer soul magic. I also like the idea of a pit of nothingness if you have no soul.
@Zurun
CREATIVE! I prefer soul magic. I also like the idea of a pit of nothingness if you have no soul.
WAOKY1a.png1I2Zxcd.pngJust Scribling.
@Zurun oh wow :O I wish i could write like that!
@Zurun oh wow :O I wish i could write like that!
1 2