Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Stone Guardian [Nuzlocke]
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29 30
@AmongTheStars
Yay, I'm happy I helped name him! Can I ask why Jamin caught your eye? Also such a cute idea of how to introduce him! He's a freaking scarf for Stoneguard!
@AmongTheStars
Yay, I'm happy I helped name him! Can I ask why Jamin caught your eye? Also such a cute idea of how to introduce him! He's a freaking scarf for Stoneguard!
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
@AmongtheStars CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE

in other news, baby spiral is adorsables
@AmongtheStars CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE

in other news, baby spiral is adorsables
Professional Grump

I live for memes
@IronPen Basically the reasons that the characters give; I liked the double meaning. Also, it comes free with the perfect offspring name - if he ever hatches a son, he can be Benjamin.
@IronPen Basically the reasons that the characters give; I liked the double meaning. Also, it comes free with the perfect offspring name - if he ever hatches a son, he can be Benjamin.
[b]What's Not to Love?[/b] [item=Maidens blush] [item=fool's gold] [item=phytocat toy] @NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser, @Wildehearted, @ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn, @ScienceGal8, @IronPen, @Neloth, @BarbaraFett, @Firewood Wyeth loved growing things. He loved tall waving grasses, and prickly berry bushes, and trees of all kinds (but especially the ones with the glowing flowers). He loved the earthworms that dug their little air tunnels, and the birds that nested in the trees and sang their little songs in the morning. When he was still too small to fly long distances by himself, DarkRain had taken him on her back and flown around the mountain until they could see the great tree, the Behemoth, to the north-east. She told him how they had adopted him in his egg at the great nature festival, and how his magic came from the deity that had grown that incredible tree. Wyeth felt lucky to be connected to that kind of magic. It seemed unwise to say it aloud, lest one of the Arcanist's exalted hear him, but Wyeth felt that the Arcanist was much less wise. After all, he seemed to grow mostly stone. Not even earth, which could at least come alive with worms and bugs and plants, but pure crystals. Wyeth was prepared to admit that gem stones, from tiny and precious jewels to giant crystal plinths, were beautiful to look at. They were just so...boring, after a while. They didn't grow except by magic, and didn't change at all so far as he could tell. They weren't alive. Wyeth preferred alive. Wyeth learned everything the big dragons could teach him about growing things, and then pestered the traders to find him scrolls. Bambush taught him things too. He felt that his clan needed more growing things around them, so he arranged for it. When his lessons and his chores were done, he liked to find things that were growing in poor places, and move them to places where they could grow stronger. For some reason, a lot of plants liked to be around Stoneguard, so he planted a beautiful garden around the maybe-alive Statue. He didn't know if that would help with Mama Viviane's dream of waking the statue from stone to real life again, but he figured it couldn't hurt. [center]***[/center] Jamin loved moving. He love flying, and burrowing, and hugging people, and flying, and exploring crevices in the mountain, and dancing (and singing!), and more flying. Just about everything was better if you could do it flying, he figured. Lessons were hard, because Enigma always wanted him to sit still; but eventually the big dragons worked out ways for him move around and still do lessons and then it was better. Pacing wasn't as much fun as flying, but it would do in a pinch. Bending himself into fancy shapes was actually fun. He could do most of the alphabet if he copied cursive script, but he hated the letter "i" because of its dot. Enny usually let him draw the dot and just do the line underneath it, but that just made it boring. There was [i]one[/i] fun thing that truly couldn't be done while flying, and that was digging. DarkRain had made a Very Important Rule that he could only dig if he was [i]above[/i] the lair and not below it - not even off to the side below, because they might want to expand someday. He thought Rainy was being kind of silly about it, but there was plenty of mountain above the lair anyway. Whenever he got bored of flying alone he would find a crack or dig a burrow and go see if he could find something sparkly. The traders teased him sometimes, that he was more like an earth dragon that a wind dragon. It kind of hurt, because he loved the wind and the sky and flying. It was just that the big dragons were busy very much of the time, and his brothers got tired easily when flying. They didn't love the sky as much as him. Jamin thought if he wanted to, he could probably stay in the air all day. It wasn't as much fun alone though. After a while, having nobody to play with got boring, and then he would forget which way he was flying and end up in an embarrassing knot and have to get one of the big dragons to help him get untied. Getting knotted up was technically less boring, but it was [i]not[/i]* fun. Burrowing was a way to make a lair, or a way to make a hiding place if a beastclansman was chasing you, or a way to make a secret clubhouse. All of those were good reasons to burrow, and Wyeth did them too. What Wyeth didn't seem to get was that burrowing was also a way to explore. The mountain was full of glittery beautiful treasures! Crystals and gemstones and colorful minerals were under practically every crack and crevice! Jamin explored with a glowing pocket bauble, and brought out finds small enough to remove. After all, glittery treasure looked better when held up to the light, preferrably while flying. [center]***[/center] Anakin loved doing things together with other people. He thought it would be amazing to hunt with a pack, like in Enigma's stories. Really, though, anything was more fun if he was doing it with someone. He thought Wyeth's hobby of moving plants from one place to another was, well, weird. He gamely came along and helped carry things though, especially when he started to get really noticeably bigger than his tundra brother. Wyeth would carefully line up a row of plants along his back, and he would balance them with his wings as he followed to the new planting spot. Jamin teased him about it, but Jamin teased about everything. "Aniki's turning into a nature exalted," he'd say, or "That's not how camouflage is supposed to work, Aniki!" Jamin insisted on using nick-names for everything. Anakin didn't mind the big dragons calling him Anik, since they had told him the story of how it might've been his whole name, but they decided to use the longer name for official and the shorter one for every-day; it was the outside of annoying that Jamin had to cute-ify his [i]nickname[/i] though. Still, the spiral brother did it to everyone. He called Anael "Anny" and Enigma "Enny," which sounded too much the same. He called Wyeth's elemental friend "Bambushka," and Clan-Mother Viviane "Ma Vivi," and DarkRain he insisted on calling "Rainy" or "Rain-rain," even though she clearly hated it. Anakin hated it too, because she did. For all Jamin could be annoying, though, somehow his habit of flying away or burrowing away whenever Anakin needed someone to do something with was still the worst part. Anakin just couldn't keep up with him very long either way. Enigma would spend time with him, though, even if it was just letting him tag along on her chores and showing him how it was done. She spent hours teaching him everything she had learned in nature territory about taming animals. She taught the others too, of course, but Wyeth preferred animals untamed, and Jamin lost interest in the lessons after he got his Buttersnake. After that, Anakin was the only dragon in the whole clan without a familiar, and he hated it - but he swore he'd have more than any of them in the end, and when he did, Enigma didn't tell him off for it. She hugged him and showed him how to tame birds instead. The very best was spending time with DarkRain. She was the only realy hunter the clan had, and he was the only hatchling who was built to hunt with his claws, so they had special lessons outside in the scraggly woods. She taught him what she had worked out for herself, hunting with Anael and the Clan Mother. Then she taught him what she had learned on the journey, from wildclaws and other guardians and yes, even a few actual mirrors. Besides hunting lessons, DarkRain was still nice to spend time with. She was busy a lot, and wouldn't always bring him on her chores like Enigma. When she talked to him, though, she talked like she did to the big dragons, and that was worth a lot. DarkRain never teased, never talked down to him, and never made excuses not to tell him things. Anakin was pretty sure it wasn't the same as a pack, but it was good enough for him. *Pun not intended but gleefully acknowledged ;) OOC: The elder coli team just hit level 8, and the boys grew up yesterday. With new stuff to find in the training fields, there's no better time than now to start the three of them as a new team!
What's Not to Love?

Maidens Blush Fool's Gold Phytocat Toy

@NetShy, @Neige, @DruidicMelody, @AdventureChaser, @Wildehearted, @ArgenteaMoon, @Fairyn, @ScienceGal8, @IronPen, @Neloth, @BarbaraFett, @Firewood

Wyeth loved growing things. He loved tall waving grasses, and prickly berry bushes, and trees of all kinds (but especially the ones with the glowing flowers). He loved the earthworms that dug their little air tunnels, and the birds that nested in the trees and sang their little songs in the morning.

When he was still too small to fly long distances by himself, DarkRain had taken him on her back and flown around the mountain until they could see the great tree, the Behemoth, to the north-east. She told him how they had adopted him in his egg at the great nature festival, and how his magic came from the deity that had grown that incredible tree. Wyeth felt lucky to be connected to that kind of magic.

It seemed unwise to say it aloud, lest one of the Arcanist's exalted hear him, but Wyeth felt that the Arcanist was much less wise. After all, he seemed to grow mostly stone. Not even earth, which could at least come alive with worms and bugs and plants, but pure crystals. Wyeth was prepared to admit that gem stones, from tiny and precious jewels to giant crystal plinths, were beautiful to look at. They were just so...boring, after a while. They didn't grow except by magic, and didn't change at all so far as he could tell. They weren't alive. Wyeth preferred alive.

Wyeth learned everything the big dragons could teach him about growing things, and then pestered the traders to find him scrolls. Bambush taught him things too. He felt that his clan needed more growing things around them, so he arranged for it. When his lessons and his chores were done, he liked to find things that were growing in poor places, and move them to places where they could grow stronger. For some reason, a lot of plants liked to be around Stoneguard, so he planted a beautiful garden around the maybe-alive Statue.

He didn't know if that would help with Mama Viviane's dream of waking the statue from stone to real life again, but he figured it couldn't hurt.

Jamin loved moving. He love flying, and burrowing, and hugging people, and flying, and exploring crevices in the mountain, and dancing (and singing!), and more flying. Just about everything was better if you could do it flying, he figured. Lessons were hard, because Enigma always wanted him to sit still; but eventually the big dragons worked out ways for him move around and still do lessons and then it was better. Pacing wasn't as much fun as flying, but it would do in a pinch. Bending himself into fancy shapes was actually fun. He could do most of the alphabet if he copied cursive script, but he hated the letter "i" because of its dot. Enny usually let him draw the dot and just do the line underneath it, but that just made it boring.

There was one fun thing that truly couldn't be done while flying, and that was digging. DarkRain had made a Very Important Rule that he could only dig if he was above the lair and not below it - not even off to the side below, because they might want to expand someday. He thought Rainy was being kind of silly about it, but there was plenty of mountain above the lair anyway. Whenever he got bored of flying alone he would find a crack or dig a burrow and go see if he could find something sparkly.

The traders teased him sometimes, that he was more like an earth dragon that a wind dragon. It kind of hurt, because he loved the wind and the sky and flying. It was just that the big dragons were busy very much of the time, and his brothers got tired easily when flying. They didn't love the sky as much as him. Jamin thought if he wanted to, he could probably stay in the air all day. It wasn't as much fun alone though. After a while, having nobody to play with got boring, and then he would forget which way he was flying and end up in an embarrassing knot and have to get one of the big dragons to help him get untied. Getting knotted up was technically less boring, but it was not* fun.

Burrowing was a way to make a lair, or a way to make a hiding place if a beastclansman was chasing you, or a way to make a secret clubhouse. All of those were good reasons to burrow, and Wyeth did them too. What Wyeth didn't seem to get was that burrowing was also a way to explore. The mountain was full of glittery beautiful treasures! Crystals and gemstones and colorful minerals were under practically every crack and crevice! Jamin explored with a glowing pocket bauble, and brought out finds small enough to remove.

After all, glittery treasure looked better when held up to the light, preferrably while flying.

Anakin loved doing things together with other people. He thought it would be amazing to hunt with a pack, like in Enigma's stories. Really, though, anything was more fun if he was doing it with someone.

He thought Wyeth's hobby of moving plants from one place to another was, well, weird. He gamely came along and helped carry things though, especially when he started to get really noticeably bigger than his tundra brother. Wyeth would carefully line up a row of plants along his back, and he would balance them with his wings as he followed to the new planting spot. Jamin teased him about it, but Jamin teased about everything. "Aniki's turning into a nature exalted," he'd say, or "That's not how camouflage is supposed to work, Aniki!"

Jamin insisted on using nick-names for everything. Anakin didn't mind the big dragons calling him Anik, since they had told him the story of how it might've been his whole name, but they decided to use the longer name for official and the shorter one for every-day; it was the outside of annoying that Jamin had to cute-ify his nickname though. Still, the spiral brother did it to everyone. He called Anael "Anny" and Enigma "Enny," which sounded too much the same. He called Wyeth's elemental friend "Bambushka," and Clan-Mother Viviane "Ma Vivi," and DarkRain he insisted on calling "Rainy" or "Rain-rain," even though she clearly hated it. Anakin hated it too, because she did. For all Jamin could be annoying, though, somehow his habit of flying away or burrowing away whenever Anakin needed someone to do something with was still the worst part. Anakin just couldn't keep up with him very long either way.

Enigma would spend time with him, though, even if it was just letting him tag along on her chores and showing him how it was done. She spent hours teaching him everything she had learned in nature territory about taming animals. She taught the others too, of course, but Wyeth preferred animals untamed, and Jamin lost interest in the lessons after he got his Buttersnake. After that, Anakin was the only dragon in the whole clan without a familiar, and he hated it - but he swore he'd have more than any of them in the end, and when he did, Enigma didn't tell him off for it. She hugged him and showed him how to tame birds instead.

The very best was spending time with DarkRain. She was the only realy hunter the clan had, and he was the only hatchling who was built to hunt with his claws, so they had special lessons outside in the scraggly woods. She taught him what she had worked out for herself, hunting with Anael and the Clan Mother. Then she taught him what she had learned on the journey, from wildclaws and other guardians and yes, even a few actual mirrors. Besides hunting lessons, DarkRain was still nice to spend time with. She was busy a lot, and wouldn't always bring him on her chores like Enigma. When she talked to him, though, she talked like she did to the big dragons, and that was worth a lot. DarkRain never teased, never talked down to him, and never made excuses not to tell him things.

Anakin was pretty sure it wasn't the same as a pack, but it was good enough for him.

*Pun not intended but gleefully acknowledged ;)

OOC: The elder coli team just hit level 8, and the boys grew up yesterday. With new stuff to find in the training fields, there's no better time than now to start the three of them as a new team!
@AmongTheStars

Love it. Your characters have so much personality, and your ideas about what it's like to grow up as the only Spiral and Mirror in a clan are 100% believable. It makes me want to go back and write about my Enchantment's younger days. Thank you for keeping this going.
@AmongTheStars

Love it. Your characters have so much personality, and your ideas about what it's like to grow up as the only Spiral and Mirror in a clan are 100% believable. It makes me want to go back and write about my Enchantment's younger days. Thank you for keeping this going.
@AmongTheStars
...Which pun are you talking about again, I keep looking for the star in the hcapter but I don't see it unless I;m missing something. Either way, I love the boys, thye've turned out wonderfully!
@AmongTheStars
...Which pun are you talking about again, I keep looking for the star in the hcapter but I don't see it unless I;m missing something. Either way, I love the boys, thye've turned out wonderfully!
zBb62uZ.pngkiukE70.png1.png
Wonderful. ♥ @amongthestars
Wonderful. ♥ @amongthestars
7GFlGJN.pngUQye6pN.pngMrRCllp.pngw7zrq5X.pngJ62sYF0.pnghgDH6fo.png9My5I2b.pngiibnNpu.pngDBFJoJn.pngA3L5B4e.pngzjJqiVN.png
v8f8ZKI.png
@IronPen "Getting knotted up was technically less boring, but it was not* fun."

I love puns, but didn't even see that one myself until the editing read-through :P
@IronPen "Getting knotted up was technically less boring, but it was not* fun."

I love puns, but didn't even see that one myself until the editing read-through :P
@BarbaraFett
Yay, I'm glad it inspired you for your own dragon :D

As for keeping it going, while I don't always have time to write on a schedule, I expect it will keep going a fair while yet. I'm looking at it kind of like running an RPG; I can't plot too far in advice because I don't know what will happen with things that not under my control (like scavenging drops, site events, or the coliseum) but I can and do have a fairly wide sense of what is going on behind the scenes, so as the characters grow and interact with site features, I add in the background and pretty soon I know what the next part of the story should be.

So don't worry if posts are a little sporadic; I may take a week to write and then find myself with three posts worth (That happened last time). If I was going to pause for real I would at least try to inform the ping list though.
@BarbaraFett
Yay, I'm glad it inspired you for your own dragon :D

As for keeping it going, while I don't always have time to write on a schedule, I expect it will keep going a fair while yet. I'm looking at it kind of like running an RPG; I can't plot too far in advice because I don't know what will happen with things that not under my control (like scavenging drops, site events, or the coliseum) but I can and do have a fairly wide sense of what is going on behind the scenes, so as the characters grow and interact with site features, I add in the background and pretty soon I know what the next part of the story should be.

So don't worry if posts are a little sporadic; I may take a week to write and then find myself with three posts worth (That happened last time). If I was going to pause for real I would at least try to inform the ping list though.
@AmongTheStars
Hehe, poor Jamin. Imagine calling a Wind spiral an earth dragon! And Anakin, the only one without a familiar :( I'd feel worse except I've seen his future in your lair ;)
@AmongTheStars
Hehe, poor Jamin. Imagine calling a Wind spiral an earth dragon! And Anakin, the only one without a familiar :( I'd feel worse except I've seen his future in your lair ;)
36FLPq9.pngawOvDXW.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 29 30