Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Clan at Seeker's Bog---Abandoned
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@sadey @Meridok @haikwoshevo @ocularoracle [center][b]06: More Mouths to Feed[/b][/center] Hunger finally drove Roost back to the clearing during one Mudd’s rarely--and incredibly short--naps. He didn’t dare stay long, but the clawing ache in his belly only continued to grow. He’d thinned out considerably over the past few days and he knew he’d have to start hunting farther from the clearing. Which meant moving Mudd to a different area of the woods or leaving her longer--both were potentially dangerous. Rot, but he hadn’t signed up for this. He’d sworn to the Plaguebringer and the Shadowbinder that he’d never wanted a hatchling to watch over. He wasn’t cut out for it. And yet, he couldn’t leave Mudd either. Nothing in him would let him walk away and let her fend for himself. Luck though it seemed, was finally on his side. A crimson emperor herd grazed at the edge of the clearing where the shadows were still thick from the Tangled Wood--despite the almost too bright light of day in the field. The adults would be too fast without a chase, but a fawn... Perhaps he could catch one of those without having to stray too far from Mudd. Crouching down, he waited for the right moment to strike and then burst from the trees. The herd erupted into flight, their wings buzzing, but Roost didn’t look to the sky. Instead he swept through the long grass looking for the slight flightless fawns often hidden in the grass. There he spotted two. Relief filled him as he settled down for the first real meal he’d had in a long time. [center][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/luck.png[/img][/center] Praise the rotten shadows but it was about darned time. Half finished with his meal, he went to spook the second fawn from the grasses when he heard a soft flicker of wings. Not one of the emperors come back to defend their young. It was too strong. His head cocked for a moment thinking it was one of the larger webwings when he noted a small fae hatchling nestled in against the fawn. It’s crest flitted up and down so vehemently it looked to be shaking like a leaf. Rot it all. Every blasted thing in this land. The last thing he needed was another hatchling to feed. Not that he could leave it either. As heartless as he wanted to be, big blue eyes stared up at him and sealed his fate. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12464095] [img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/flickerbeginninglook.png[/img] [/url] No, he decided. The seekers had done that the moment they’d led him away from the Scarred Wasteland and straight to Mudd’s egg. He was doomed. Most likely to starve trying to keep others’ abandoned young fed. Gruff, he reached out and scooped up the huddled pair in one paw. The fawn was considerably larger--and that was small enough as it was. “I hope you’re easier to feed,” he muttered, his voice gravelly rough and the little dragon’s crest flitted wildly in fear. Another female too. He stared at her a long moment. “Flicker,” he decided with a prompt nod. If Mudd had been nothing but rolling around in the silty edge of the swamp, this one was nothing but shaky fear and fluttering wings. He looked at the fawn. “Lunch,” he told that one, then amended it. “Lucky.” After all, he couldn’t very well go around eating what seemed to be the fae’s only friend. And while he was temtped to leave the emperor calf behind, the fae’s little limbs were wound around the deer’s neck and he didn’t dare try and untangle them. “Well then, let’s get you home and see what Mudd has to think of this.” Mudd, like always, was waiting at the base of the tree, her icewarden puppet clenched in her claws. She was quivering with the need to run and the moment she saw him her eyes lit up. “Roost!” She started to move and then held herself. He gave a gruff nod and she barreled toward him. Unceremoniously he dumped the fawn and fae on the ground. With a growl, Mudd pounced on them only to leap backwards with a surprised squeak. “Who?” she snarled. [center][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/flickerarrival.png[/img][/center] “Flutt--Flicker,” he corrected himself and pointed at the fae. Flit. Flicker. Flutter. Plague take him, he didn’t know. He wasn’t sure he cared. She could name herself if the little thing could speak. “I don’t know. Name them.” Plopping down in the muck, she stared at them. Obviously no more thrilled with the newcomers than he was. Her sparrowmouse flittered over to land on Roost’s head, nesting behind one of his horns. “Go ‘way,” Mudd said and then darted back to the spot she always waited for him. She curled up in a fluffy ball and hissed at them, then at Roost. “Only Roost.” He snorted at her and while he sympathized, he wouldn’t leave them to starve. “Perhaps soon,” he told her and nudged the terrified pair closer with one paw. “For now they have to stay.” Mudd growled but said nothing. [center][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/muddpout_1.png[/img][/center]
@sadey @Meridok @haikwoshevo @ocularoracle
06: More Mouths to Feed

Hunger finally drove Roost back to the clearing during one Mudd’s rarely--and incredibly short--naps. He didn’t dare stay long, but the clawing ache in his belly only continued to grow. He’d thinned out considerably over the past few days and he knew he’d have to start hunting farther from the clearing. Which meant moving Mudd to a different area of the woods or leaving her longer--both were potentially dangerous.

Rot, but he hadn’t signed up for this. He’d sworn to the Plaguebringer and the Shadowbinder that he’d never wanted a hatchling to watch over. He wasn’t cut out for it. And yet, he couldn’t leave Mudd either. Nothing in him would let him walk away and let her fend for himself.

Luck though it seemed, was finally on his side. A crimson emperor herd grazed at the edge of the clearing where the shadows were still thick from the Tangled Wood--despite the almost too bright light of day in the field. The adults would be too fast without a chase, but a fawn... Perhaps he could catch one of those without having to stray too far from Mudd.

Crouching down, he waited for the right moment to strike and then burst from the trees. The herd erupted into flight, their wings buzzing, but Roost didn’t look to the sky. Instead he swept through the long grass looking for the slight flightless fawns often hidden in the grass. There he spotted two. Relief filled him as he settled down for the first real meal he’d had in a long time.
luck.png

Praise the rotten shadows but it was about darned time. Half finished with his meal, he went to spook the second fawn from the grasses when he heard a soft flicker of wings. Not one of the emperors come back to defend their young. It was too strong. His head cocked for a moment thinking it was one of the larger webwings when he noted a small fae hatchling nestled in against the fawn. It’s crest flitted up and down so vehemently it looked to be shaking like a leaf.

Rot it all. Every blasted thing in this land. The last thing he needed was another hatchling to feed. Not that he could leave it either. As heartless as he wanted to be, big blue eyes stared up at him and sealed his fate.

flickerbeginninglook.png

No, he decided. The seekers had done that the moment they’d led him away from the Scarred Wasteland and straight to Mudd’s egg. He was doomed. Most likely to starve trying to keep others’ abandoned young fed.

Gruff, he reached out and scooped up the huddled pair in one paw. The fawn was considerably larger--and that was small enough as it was. “I hope you’re easier to feed,” he muttered, his voice gravelly rough and the little dragon’s crest flitted wildly in fear.

Another female too. He stared at her a long moment. “Flicker,” he decided with a prompt nod. If Mudd had been nothing but rolling around in the silty edge of the swamp, this one was nothing but shaky fear and fluttering wings. He looked at the fawn. “Lunch,” he told that one, then amended it. “Lucky.”

After all, he couldn’t very well go around eating what seemed to be the fae’s only friend. And while he was temtped to leave the emperor calf behind, the fae’s little limbs were wound around the deer’s neck and he didn’t dare try and untangle them. “Well then, let’s get you home and see what Mudd has to think of this.”

Mudd, like always, was waiting at the base of the tree, her icewarden puppet clenched in her claws. She was quivering with the need to run and the moment she saw him her eyes lit up. “Roost!” She started to move and then held herself. He gave a gruff nod and she barreled toward him.

Unceremoniously he dumped the fawn and fae on the ground. With a growl, Mudd pounced on them only to leap backwards with a surprised squeak. “Who?” she snarled.
flickerarrival.png

“Flutt--Flicker,” he corrected himself and pointed at the fae. Flit. Flicker. Flutter. Plague take him, he didn’t know. He wasn’t sure he cared. She could name herself if the little thing could speak. “I don’t know. Name them.”

Plopping down in the muck, she stared at them. Obviously no more thrilled with the newcomers than he was. Her sparrowmouse flittered over to land on Roost’s head, nesting behind one of his horns.

“Go ‘way,” Mudd said and then darted back to the spot she always waited for him. She curled up in a fluffy ball and hissed at them, then at Roost. “Only Roost.”

He snorted at her and while he sympathized, he wouldn’t leave them to starve. “Perhaps soon,” he told her and nudged the terrified pair closer with one paw. “For now they have to stay.”

Mudd growled but said nothing.
muddpout_1.png

OVmZor1.png
@sadey

Aww, little Mudd's declaring her ownership of her great big guardian.
@sadey

Aww, little Mudd's declaring her ownership of her great big guardian.
tumblr_inline_nmpzdtnOyw1t6xkgm_500.png
@sadey this is all entirely too adorable
@sadey this is all entirely too adorable
@haikwoshevo Haha yes, I think she's as protective of him as he is of her! Well that and I don't think she handles change well. xD @Meridok Aw, thank you! I admit, I find myself wishing I'd done this with my original lair. It builds so much story and characters so quickly. I'm so attached to these dragons already. xD ... AND OMG YES!!! I am incredibly frustrated that I was clicking too fast to get a screenshot of the actual scavenge (it was on my second to last turn, I'd lost all hope of getting one today). But but but: [img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/scavengedegg42015.png[/img] Poor Roost. On a good note, I just earned a breed change. So some special updates coming today!!! (I do wonder how Mudd will react to whatever comes out of this...)
@haikwoshevo Haha yes, I think she's as protective of him as he is of her! Well that and I don't think she handles change well. xD

@Meridok Aw, thank you! I admit, I find myself wishing I'd done this with my original lair. It builds so much story and characters so quickly. I'm so attached to these dragons already. xD

AND OMG YES!!! I am incredibly frustrated that I was clicking too fast to get a screenshot of the actual scavenge (it was on my second to last turn, I'd lost all hope of getting one today). But but but:

scavengedegg42015.png

Poor Roost. On a good note, I just earned a breed change. So some special updates coming today!!! (I do wonder how Mudd will react to whatever comes out of this...)

OVmZor1.png
@sadey *rubs hands gleefully* YES GOOD you cannot escape Fire's presence even with a clan unconnected to Nocturne wahahah.

And yes, it really does build story and character! I haven't touched my poor dears in months but getting rid of them isn't even an option - not even for the nameless Tundra who has yet to be introduced!
@sadey *rubs hands gleefully* YES GOOD you cannot escape Fire's presence even with a clan unconnected to Nocturne wahahah.

And yes, it really does build story and character! I haven't touched my poor dears in months but getting rid of them isn't even an option - not even for the nameless Tundra who has yet to be introduced!
@sadey @Meridok @haikwoshevo @ocularoracle [center][b]07: A Look in the Mirror[/b][/center] Roost woke to a loud battle cry. Immediately he recognized it as Mudd and his head jerked up only to see her lunge for sleeping fae female. Flicker was still wrapped around the emperor fawn’s neck. “Mudd!” He lashed out with his tail, catching her in the gut and knocking her backwards. She chomped down on his tail for good measure and spunn, stalking off through the shallow swamp edge, muck and mud splattering up her legs. Flicker woke, bright blue eyes staring widely at the retreating tundra and she hunkered down closer to the shivering fawn. Both looked ready to bolt. “Mean,” the fae said, her voice completely devoid of emotion or inflection. He’d have thought she wasn’t bothered at all, except for the constant quivering of her crest and the look of absolute terror in her eyes. Roost heaved a sigh. Diseased plague, but he didn’t want this anymore than Mudd. He wasn’t a caretaker. He could barely take care of himself! “She’s not mean,” he said flatly. “She’s just...” He had no idea. His large shoulders lifted in a shrug and he dragged himself to his feet. “Stay here.” The fae bobbed her head and clung tighter to the deer. At least one of the hatchlings was easy. Mudd on the other hand was already out of sight. Rot it. Grumpy and hungry, he stalked in the direction she’d gone, convinced he’d just drag her back and knock some sense into her. He heard a seeker’s call before he spotted Mudd and froze. So the feathered boils had deigned to come back. Roost couldn’t ignore the relief he felt. Oddly enough, he welcomed them back. Extra eyes at least would never be unwelcome at this point. Even if he was hungry enough to want them both for a snack. An image flashed through Roost’s mind and he paused. It seemed the visions were back with the birds. [i]Mudd was huddled on the edge of the swamp, her tail lashing furiously through the water. [/i]Roost shook his massive head. Pouting still, the little brat. He wandered around the thick, gnarled trees and spotted her, but what the seeker’s image hadn’t shown him was the bird stood in front of her a rolled piece of parchment in its beak. The storm seeker’s large blue eye blinked at him and it dropped the scroll at Mudd’s feet and cawed. Roost felt the strange magic the moment the scroll fell from the seeker’s beak and started forward, but the bird lunged at him. Cawing and flapping violently. “Mudd don’t touch it,” he snapped out, growling at the bird. Mudd snarled right back at Roost. Then very deliberately, she set her paw on the scroll. A puff of smoke slipped out and Roost froze, his chest going tight with panic. His Charge...his everything. [i]She’ll be fine[/i]. A voice whispered through his head. Not from the storm seeker, but rather the death seeker. Roost felt the bird land on his horn, but he couldn't take his eyes of Mudd. Smoke swirled around her and Roost watched as the shadows seemed to swallow her whole. His legs almost gave way beneath him. “Mudd,” her name was a soft, broken sound from him. Then the shadows faded and where the muddy tundra hatchling had stood there was now a mirror. Same violet eyes--though two more. Same orange color, but no fur. She was suddenly smooth. Same black wings. And she looked as puzzled as he felt. Then she looked up at him. “Roost?” [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12378338][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/muddmirrorlook.png[/img][/url][/center] “Mudd,” he breathed her name out in relief and she barreled up to him than paused, looking down at her paws with an excited squeak. She spun around in a circle, screeching as she ran her claws over her now smooth scales. "Me, me, me!" [i]She is now who she needed to be[/i]. The seeker’s voice said in his head. “The egg decides that,” Roost told the bird and the death seeker fluttered to land on a tree branch in front of him. [i]Sometimes the egg gets it wrong[/i]. That large green eye fixated on Mudd, still squealing with delight. [i]Her soul was a mirror. Her body just needed help[/i]. And try as Roost might, he couldn’t argue with that. “So you speak now?” he asked instead. [i]I spoke before, you just weren’t ready to listen. Dragons can be so difficult at times[/i]. So could birds, Roost thought. Rotten, devilish birds. [i]I’m Cozrac. That’s Kespa[/i]. He started to ask them what they wanted when Mudd lunged up, her forefeet pressing against his chest. Her fanned crest was raised in excitement and all four eyes blinked up at him. “I’m me!” she squealed and he couldn’t help but nod. “Yes, it seems you are.” He touched his nose to her and sighed. Her happiness was contagious, even for him. [center][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/brindlenewf/muddandroostawww.png[/img][/center]
@sadey @Meridok @haikwoshevo @ocularoracle

07: A Look in the Mirror

Roost woke to a loud battle cry. Immediately he recognized it as Mudd and his head jerked up only to see her lunge for sleeping fae female. Flicker was still wrapped around the emperor fawn’s neck. “Mudd!” He lashed out with his tail, catching her in the gut and knocking her backwards. She chomped down on his tail for good measure and spunn, stalking off through the shallow swamp edge, muck and mud splattering up her legs.

Flicker woke, bright blue eyes staring widely at the retreating tundra and she hunkered down closer to the shivering fawn. Both looked ready to bolt. “Mean,” the fae said, her voice completely devoid of emotion or inflection. He’d have thought she wasn’t bothered at all, except for the constant quivering of her crest and the look of absolute terror in her eyes.

Roost heaved a sigh. Diseased plague, but he didn’t want this anymore than Mudd. He wasn’t a caretaker. He could barely take care of himself!

“She’s not mean,” he said flatly. “She’s just...” He had no idea. His large shoulders lifted in a shrug and he dragged himself to his feet. “Stay here.”

The fae bobbed her head and clung tighter to the deer. At least one of the hatchlings was easy. Mudd on the other hand was already out of sight. Rot it. Grumpy and hungry, he stalked in the direction she’d gone, convinced he’d just drag her back and knock some sense into her.

He heard a seeker’s call before he spotted Mudd and froze. So the feathered boils had deigned to come back. Roost couldn’t ignore the relief he felt. Oddly enough, he welcomed them back. Extra eyes at least would never be unwelcome at this point. Even if he was hungry enough to want them both for a snack.

An image flashed through Roost’s mind and he paused. It seemed the visions were back with the birds.

Mudd was huddled on the edge of the swamp, her tail lashing furiously through the water. Roost shook his massive head. Pouting still, the little brat.

He wandered around the thick, gnarled trees and spotted her, but what the seeker’s image hadn’t shown him was the bird stood in front of her a rolled piece of parchment in its beak. The storm seeker’s large blue eye blinked at him and it dropped the scroll at Mudd’s feet and cawed.

Roost felt the strange magic the moment the scroll fell from the seeker’s beak and started forward, but the bird lunged at him. Cawing and flapping violently. “Mudd don’t touch it,” he snapped out, growling at the bird.

Mudd snarled right back at Roost. Then very deliberately, she set her paw on the scroll. A puff of smoke slipped out and Roost froze, his chest going tight with panic. His Charge...his everything.

She’ll be fine. A voice whispered through his head. Not from the storm seeker, but rather the death seeker. Roost felt the bird land on his horn, but he couldn't take his eyes of Mudd.

Smoke swirled around her and Roost watched as the shadows seemed to swallow her whole. His legs almost gave way beneath him. “Mudd,” her name was a soft, broken sound from him.

Then the shadows faded and where the muddy tundra hatchling had stood there was now a mirror. Same violet eyes--though two more. Same orange color, but no fur. She was suddenly smooth. Same black wings. And she looked as puzzled as he felt. Then she looked up at him. “Roost?”
muddmirrorlook.png

“Mudd,” he breathed her name out in relief and she barreled up to him than paused, looking down at her paws with an excited squeak. She spun around in a circle, screeching as she ran her claws over her now smooth scales. "Me, me, me!"

She is now who she needed to be. The seeker’s voice said in his head.

“The egg decides that,” Roost told the bird and the death seeker fluttered to land on a tree branch in front of him.

Sometimes the egg gets it wrong. That large green eye fixated on Mudd, still squealing with delight. Her soul was a mirror. Her body just needed help.

And try as Roost might, he couldn’t argue with that.

“So you speak now?” he asked instead.

I spoke before, you just weren’t ready to listen. Dragons can be so difficult at times.

So could birds, Roost thought. Rotten, devilish birds. I’m Cozrac. That’s Kespa.

He started to ask them what they wanted when Mudd lunged up, her forefeet pressing against his chest. Her fanned crest was raised in excitement and all four eyes blinked up at him. “I’m me!” she squealed and he couldn’t help but nod.

“Yes, it seems you are.” He touched his nose to her and sighed. Her happiness was contagious, even for him.
muddandroostawww.png

OVmZor1.png
@sadey aaahhh, love it! Pinglist me??
@sadey aaahhh, love it! Pinglist me??
From Ashes is a Nuzlocke following the survivors of a devastating attack on a Fire clan as they struggle to survive and find a new home
@sadey

Aaaw. And poor Rook. He really can't maintain discipline, can he?
@sadey

Aaaw. And poor Rook. He really can't maintain discipline, can he?
tumblr_inline_nmpzdtnOyw1t6xkgm_500.png
@sadey eeeeee! This was so brilliant! Yay for Mudd aaaaah precious darlings. Also lmao birds
@sadey eeeeee! This was so brilliant! Yay for Mudd aaaaah precious darlings. Also lmao birds
@Tiirran Thank you!! Of course ^_^ Adding you right away!

@haikwoshevo I'm hoping he'll grow into it. Not going to make a good leader if he can't get control. xD If Mudd is controllable...

@Meridok Thank you!!! Def changed up my rules to allow breed changes before they enter the story though, but I am SOOO glad I figured out a way to get Mudd as a mirror. -grins- ***** birds. Can't live with them, can't live without them!
@Tiirran Thank you!! Of course ^_^ Adding you right away!

@haikwoshevo I'm hoping he'll grow into it. Not going to make a good leader if he can't get control. xD If Mudd is controllable...

@Meridok Thank you!!! Def changed up my rules to allow breed changes before they enter the story though, but I am SOOO glad I figured out a way to get Mudd as a mirror. -grins- ***** birds. Can't live with them, can't live without them!

OVmZor1.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7