Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Midnight Sun: A Nuzlocke Story [hiatus]
1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36 37
Could you add me to the pinglist, please? I love the story so far.
Could you add me to the pinglist, please? I love the story so far.
tumblr_inline_njviz9jZLy1qg2i5p.png
@Galaxy99 Sure thing! Thanks for the interest! :D
@Galaxy99 Sure thing! Thanks for the interest! :D
@kaeldra pining myself to read after work
@kaeldra pining myself to read after work
tumblr_ozby7yUUVB1w8xkufo8_250.png
[center][b]Chapter 28: Professors and Prophecies[/b] [size=2]@LagMonster @Khoshekh @Tempestuous @starslang @Scyras @excessnight@pensandink @Solaristigres @Nihilo @WillowWhisper @Averis @SolarPhoenix@RizuChan @ArgenteaMoon @Elzerei @eeeeel @tigressRising @hotdoge@Dragonfang @Whimzica @Soleil @Zexeos @windsway @Neige @KIMJA @rax@PandragonsBox @Silurian @Wolcan @AnnaStar353 @Rhyvendra @TwoJay @Aravis@CoatlPrince @Galaxy99[/size] [/center] Claudius didn’t like the p-word, so Sigrid avoided even thinking it. The king’s just [i]cautious,[/i] she thought as the wildclaw guards checked and re-checked her credentials. The new iris scanner was the latest technology from the Shifting Expanse – it required her to remove her helmet and stand very still until she was cleared. This was just Claudius taking warranted safety measures, though. He wasn’t [i]paranoid[/i] – never that. Finally, the great iron doors clacked open, allowing the nocturne entry. “Ah, Commander!” came a mellifluous voice from within. “Please do come in.” Sigrid gave a tight, formal nod to the guards stationed beside the door before striding into the room. The king’s study matched the richness of his voice – all brass and wood and polished stone, with enchanted light sources filling the space with a warm glow. Claudius stood next to a elderly male snapper, perusing a handful of documents spread out across the desk. “My liege,” Sigrid greeted the tundra with a small bow. “Professor Bishop.” The snapper glanced up at the acknowledgement, smiling at her briefly. “We’ve found them,” the king crowed, beckoning her over. “I knew that priest wouldn’t have been able to take [i]everything[/i] with him.” Sigrid leaned over, glancing at the papers. There were a few that looked quite old, covered with undecipherable runes, and a few that were probably the missing skydancer’s own notes. “These are written in some kind of shorthand,” she commented, turning one over with a claw. “And those...that’s definitely not draconic.” “No,” the old snapper rumbled. “I haven’t been able to make heads or tails of those runes. The notes, however – this is a form of notation common to the order. I’ve been able to decipher the vast majority of it.” “Oh, and I can’t thank you enough for that, Professor,” Claudius cut in with a smile. “Commander, my people knew that the priest Raust had been keeping secrets for some time. Eleanor was too blind to notice, but, well, that’s to be expected.” He reached out to tap a piece of paper with his claw. “These tell us that Raust had in his possession a highly unusual egg.” “An egg? I thought priests took vows of celibacy?” “Oh, no, it wasn’t his.” The hulking tundra cocked his head to one side, a thin smile dancing at his lips. “According to this, he had the unhatched egg of a lightborn. An egg that, by all accounts, has remained unhatched for a very long time. Over two hundred years.” “Two [i]hundred?[/i] That’s impossible. The hatchling would be long dead.” “Hmmm, so you would think,” the professor replied. “It’s curious indeed – as I’m sure you know, a barren light egg loses its glow. This one apparently remains as bright as ever.” Sigrid mulled it over, shaking her head. “Assuming I choose to believe that, which is preposterous, what on earth would a simple priest want with it?” “Priest, yes – simple, no. Raust had a bit of a...[i]colorful[/i] past before joining the order. It’s not supposed to matter once you take the cloak, but one can never truly leave their old life behind. You of all dragons would know.” Claudius shot her a pointed look; her jaw tightened, but she didn’t reply, so the king went on. “There seems to be quite a lot of lore that goes along with this egg. Tell me, Commander, have you heard the tale of the Icewarden’s First Children?” It didn’t sound familiar, so she shook her head. Claudius nodded to the snapper. “Walter, would you care to elaborate?” “Happy to!” The professor lumbered to his feet, nosing through the sheaf of papers until he found a certain one. “The priest mentions it here. The First Children, hmm...you know of the Icewarden’s apparent disappointment in his offspring? The stories say that he thought tundras too slow and forgetful...sorry, my liege.” The king let out a booming laugh. “Not to worry. It’s a useful stereotype to exploit.” “Well, the lesser-known story is that tundras weren’t the Icewarden’s first attempt. He created a race before them – large, powerful, long-lived creatures with thick coats, masters of the ice. They were more predatory than tundras, and were said to have certain powers. Almost god-like, in a way. Now, as the story goes, the other gods were afraid of the Icewarden’s creation, because they did not want these newcomers to challenge their power. They convinced the Icewarden to abandon his plans for them and start again. And thus, tundras were born.” Sigrid shifted her weight from one foot to the other. It was a nice story, she supposed, but she didn’t have much time for nice stories. “What does this have to do with the egg?” Professor Bishop shot her a hurt look. “I’m getting there, young miss. As I said, there are certain legends that go along with that egg. It’s said that when it hatches, the dragon inside will be able to release some sort of ancient power. Details are spotty, but the one thing that holds true across all of the stories is that this power will change the world forever.” “And the First Children?” Sigrid asked. She didn’t put much stock in prophecies and the like, but she trusted Claudius’ judgment, and he seemed to think this all important. “Ah, that’s the interesting bit,” the snapper hummed. “You see, the First Children didn’t exactly go away. Oh, they all died off long ago, of course, but not before a few of them interbred with tundra newcomers. There have always been iceborn who hold a bit of these creatures alive in their veins. That’s where we come to this.” He pulled out another piece of paper with his clumsy foreleg – there was a meticulous drawing of a family tree. It was lengthy and clearly well-researched – there were lots of notes in the margins, and several places were names had been crossed out and re-written. “If we are to trust the priest’s notes – and he does have my respect as a fellow scholar – there is but one surviving descendant of the First Children.” He gestured to a name at the very bottom of the page, circled in red. “Devonian?” The snapper shook his head. “No, Devonian is dead. She did, however, take a certain mirror as her mate before she passed away. If you follow this arrow here, it appears that Devonian has one surviving daughter. A dragon named Shrike. We actually had her here in our possession, but our previous rulers were too stupid to realize her worth. I did not know either, at the time.” Sigrid peered at the crammed handwriting – she could pick out the name. Written next to it was ‘Status – deceased’, which had been crossed out and replaced with ‘Living – fae’. Hmm. “This is all very interesting, Professor, but how does the egg tie into it? I do have business I need to get back to.” “You warrior types, all the same,” the professor grumbled. “It’s said that this egg is some sort of compact between the Icewarden and Lightweaver – both caretakers of ancient knowledge. The dragon within is lightborn, but it’s said that the egg will only hatch for a descendant of the First Children.” It clicked into place. “Ah. This Shrike, then...” “Yes,” Claudius replied. “There are those out there that, like our priest, have put the pieces together. Some, I’m sure, want her dead so that this ancient power is never released. Others wish to use her, use that egg, harness the power for themselves. My informants say that our friends in the Polar Night are among them.” Sigrid almost reached back for her sword in reflex, before forgetting that she didn’t have it on her. “Ah. Them. Of course. Our allies in Lightning are reporting increased raids on their border, sir. It’s said the pack has holed up in the Fortress of Ends and are gaining followers.” There was a certain grimness in the king’s orange eyes. “Yes, I’m aware. I don’t know what exactly they are planning, but word is that they have allies all along the Southern Icefield, and maybe outside of it as well. We must be watchful.” “What can I do, my lord?” “You,” he said carefully, rising to his feet and beginning to pace in thought. “You may disagree with the order I’m about to give you. Our enemies are trying to reach this Shrike, and it is imperative that we get to her first. I want you to go find her.” Sigrid stared at him, stunned. Didn’t he realize she had a [i]job[/i] to do here? “Me? Claudius, if you wish to either protect or extract this dragon, wouldn’t a squadron be better?” “No. This is covert – you cannot be seen, by either our enemies or our own people. I can’t have them asking questions. Not yet.” [i]“Sir,[/i] I’m the commander. My troops need me, and with the threat of an attack looming from the south – “ “You are my best dragon, Sigrid. I trust no one more. I want to you locate this Shrike, and keep her alive until I send further orders. And besides, Bloodtooth can lead in your place for the time being.” “Bloodtooth is an idiot.” Claudius let loose a booming laugh. “That he is, but he’s a damn good soldier. Listen, Sigrid, I will not force you to do this. I can find someone else, if you refuse, but I’m asking as your king, and as a friend.” He gazed at her intently, awaiting a response. She sighed – what else was there to do? “Very well. But if I hear word of any attack, I’m flying straight back.” “I’d expect nothing less. And, Commander...I don’t believe this silly prophecy mumbo-jumbo any more than you do. But the Polar Night is intent on obtaining her. Control the mouse, control the snake, yes?” She could see his logic. “I’ll make preparations and be off shortly, my liege.” With a small bow, she excused herself and made for the door. As she left, she heard Claudius calling out after her. “Make sure the doors are locked on the way out, would you?” [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=12430461] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/124305/12430461_350.png[/img] [/url] (in which some things are revealed! Sorry for the wait, all – finals are a killer.)[/center]

Claudius didn’t like the p-word, so Sigrid avoided even thinking it. The king’s just cautious, she thought as the wildclaw guards checked and re-checked her credentials. The new iris scanner was the latest technology from the Shifting Expanse – it required her to remove her helmet and stand very still until she was cleared. This was just Claudius taking warranted safety measures, though. He wasn’t paranoid – never that.

Finally, the great iron doors clacked open, allowing the nocturne entry. “Ah, Commander!” came a mellifluous voice from within. “Please do come in.”

Sigrid gave a tight, formal nod to the guards stationed beside the door before striding into the room. The king’s study matched the richness of his voice – all brass and wood and polished stone, with enchanted light sources filling the space with a warm glow. Claudius stood next to a elderly male snapper, perusing a handful of documents spread out across the desk. “My liege,” Sigrid greeted the tundra with a small bow. “Professor Bishop.” The snapper glanced up at the acknowledgement, smiling at her briefly.

“We’ve found them,” the king crowed, beckoning her over. “I knew that priest wouldn’t have been able to take everything with him.”

Sigrid leaned over, glancing at the papers. There were a few that looked quite old, covered with undecipherable runes, and a few that were probably the missing skydancer’s own notes. “These are written in some kind of shorthand,” she commented, turning one over with a claw. “And those...that’s definitely not draconic.”

“No,” the old snapper rumbled. “I haven’t been able to make heads or tails of those runes. The notes, however – this is a form of notation common to the order. I’ve been able to decipher the vast majority of it.”

“Oh, and I can’t thank you enough for that, Professor,” Claudius cut in with a smile. “Commander, my people knew that the priest Raust had been keeping secrets for some time. Eleanor was too blind to notice, but, well, that’s to be expected.” He reached out to tap a piece of paper with his claw. “These tell us that Raust had in his possession a highly unusual egg.”

“An egg? I thought priests took vows of celibacy?”

“Oh, no, it wasn’t his.” The hulking tundra cocked his head to one side, a thin smile dancing at his lips. “According to this, he had the unhatched egg of a lightborn. An egg that, by all accounts, has remained unhatched for a very long time. Over two hundred years.”

“Two hundred? That’s impossible. The hatchling would be long dead.”

“Hmmm, so you would think,” the professor replied. “It’s curious indeed – as I’m sure you know, a barren light egg loses its glow. This one apparently remains as bright as ever.”

Sigrid mulled it over, shaking her head. “Assuming I choose to believe that, which is preposterous, what on earth would a simple priest want with it?”

“Priest, yes – simple, no. Raust had a bit of a...colorful past before joining the order. It’s not supposed to matter once you take the cloak, but one can never truly leave their old life behind. You of all dragons would know.” Claudius shot her a pointed look; her jaw tightened, but she didn’t reply, so the king went on. “There seems to be quite a lot of lore that goes along with this egg. Tell me, Commander, have you heard the tale of the Icewarden’s First Children?”

It didn’t sound familiar, so she shook her head. Claudius nodded to the snapper. “Walter, would you care to elaborate?”

“Happy to!” The professor lumbered to his feet, nosing through the sheaf of papers until he found a certain one. “The priest mentions it here. The First Children, hmm...you know of the Icewarden’s apparent disappointment in his offspring? The stories say that he thought tundras too slow and forgetful...sorry, my liege.”

The king let out a booming laugh. “Not to worry. It’s a useful stereotype to exploit.”

“Well, the lesser-known story is that tundras weren’t the Icewarden’s first attempt. He created a race before them – large, powerful, long-lived creatures with thick coats, masters of the ice. They were more predatory than tundras, and were said to have certain powers. Almost god-like, in a way. Now, as the story goes, the other gods were afraid of the Icewarden’s creation, because they did not want these newcomers to challenge their power. They convinced the Icewarden to abandon his plans for them and start again. And thus, tundras were born.”

Sigrid shifted her weight from one foot to the other. It was a nice story, she supposed, but she didn’t have much time for nice stories. “What does this have to do with the egg?”

Professor Bishop shot her a hurt look. “I’m getting there, young miss. As I said, there are certain legends that go along with that egg. It’s said that when it hatches, the dragon inside will be able to release some sort of ancient power. Details are spotty, but the one thing that holds true across all of the stories is that this power will change the world forever.”

“And the First Children?” Sigrid asked. She didn’t put much stock in prophecies and the like, but she trusted Claudius’ judgment, and he seemed to think this all important.

“Ah, that’s the interesting bit,” the snapper hummed. “You see, the First Children didn’t exactly go away. Oh, they all died off long ago, of course, but not before a few of them interbred with tundra newcomers. There have always been iceborn who hold a bit of these creatures alive in their veins. That’s where we come to this.” He pulled out another piece of paper with his clumsy foreleg – there was a meticulous drawing of a family tree. It was lengthy and clearly well-researched – there were lots of notes in the margins, and several places were names had been crossed out and re-written.

“If we are to trust the priest’s notes – and he does have my respect as a fellow scholar – there is but one surviving descendant of the First Children.” He gestured to a name at the very bottom of the page, circled in red.

“Devonian?”

The snapper shook his head. “No, Devonian is dead. She did, however, take a certain mirror as her mate before she passed away. If you follow this arrow here, it appears that Devonian has one surviving daughter. A dragon named Shrike. We actually had her here in our possession, but our previous rulers were too stupid to realize her worth. I did not know either, at the time.”

Sigrid peered at the crammed handwriting – she could pick out the name. Written next to it was ‘Status – deceased’, which had been crossed out and replaced with ‘Living – fae’. Hmm. “This is all very interesting, Professor, but how does the egg tie into it? I do have business I need to get back to.”

“You warrior types, all the same,” the professor grumbled. “It’s said that this egg is some sort of compact between the Icewarden and Lightweaver – both caretakers of ancient knowledge. The dragon within is lightborn, but it’s said that the egg will only hatch for a descendant of the First Children.”

It clicked into place. “Ah. This Shrike, then...”

“Yes,” Claudius replied. “There are those out there that, like our priest, have put the pieces together. Some, I’m sure, want her dead so that this ancient power is never released. Others wish to use her, use that egg, harness the power for themselves. My informants say that our friends in the Polar Night are among them.”

Sigrid almost reached back for her sword in reflex, before forgetting that she didn’t have it on her. “Ah. Them. Of course. Our allies in Lightning are reporting increased raids on their border, sir. It’s said the pack has holed up in the Fortress of Ends and are gaining followers.”

There was a certain grimness in the king’s orange eyes. “Yes, I’m aware. I don’t know what exactly they are planning, but word is that they have allies all along the Southern Icefield, and maybe outside of it as well. We must be watchful.”

“What can I do, my lord?”

“You,” he said carefully, rising to his feet and beginning to pace in thought. “You may disagree with the order I’m about to give you. Our enemies are trying to reach this Shrike, and it is imperative that we get to her first. I want you to go find her.”

Sigrid stared at him, stunned. Didn’t he realize she had a job to do here? “Me? Claudius, if you wish to either protect or extract this dragon, wouldn’t a squadron be better?”

“No. This is covert – you cannot be seen, by either our enemies or our own people. I can’t have them asking questions. Not yet.”

“Sir, I’m the commander. My troops need me, and with the threat of an attack looming from the south – “

“You are my best dragon, Sigrid. I trust no one more. I want to you locate this Shrike, and keep her alive until I send further orders. And besides, Bloodtooth can lead in your place for the time being.”

“Bloodtooth is an idiot.”

Claudius let loose a booming laugh. “That he is, but he’s a damn good soldier. Listen, Sigrid, I will not force you to do this. I can find someone else, if you refuse, but I’m asking as your king, and as a friend.” He gazed at her intently, awaiting a response.

She sighed – what else was there to do? “Very well. But if I hear word of any attack, I’m flying straight back.”

“I’d expect nothing less. And, Commander...I don’t believe this silly prophecy mumbo-jumbo any more than you do. But the Polar Night is intent on obtaining her. Control the mouse, control the snake, yes?”

She could see his logic. “I’ll make preparations and be off shortly, my liege.” With a small bow, she excused herself and made for the door. As she left, she heard Claudius calling out after her. “Make sure the doors are locked on the way out, would you?”

12430461_350.png

(in which some things are revealed! Sorry for the wait, all – finals are a killer.)
Yay, the next part! And background information! ö3ö
Yay, the next part! And background information! ö3ö
natureh5.png
Whoa, finally we get some pieces of the puzzle! Man, Shrike sure is involved in some stuff. Poor girl.
Whoa, finally we get some pieces of the puzzle! Man, Shrike sure is involved in some stuff. Poor girl.
signature_fr_soleillune_by_vampireselene13-d906e30.png
@Cerastes
Woo hoo, I've been wanting for an update! Best of luck defeating your finals.

Wow, Shrike is up to her eyeballs in some heavy stuff. I hope Sigrid is nice to her when they meet!

I may have peeked at your lair... I see Shrike has Peregrine now! She looks pretty. :3
@Cerastes
Woo hoo, I've been wanting for an update! Best of luck defeating your finals.

Wow, Shrike is up to her eyeballs in some heavy stuff. I hope Sigrid is nice to her when they meet!

I may have peeked at your lair... I see Shrike has Peregrine now! She looks pretty. :3
@Cerastes !!!!!! wow yes deep plot
@Cerastes !!!!!! wow yes deep plot
Professional Grump

I live for memes
Thanks all! :D Yeah, I realized I needed to stop leaving quite so many plot points hanging, lol. Time to DO SOME STUFF.

@eeeeel Shrike does have Peregrine now! And Raust has a pretty accent. Both of which I will get to...sometime. The lair gets ahead of the story sometimes! You've probably also seen me cheating on the Nuzlocke to help out with the dom push (fire vs. ice, how fitting!)
Thanks all! :D Yeah, I realized I needed to stop leaving quite so many plot points hanging, lol. Time to DO SOME STUFF.

@eeeeel Shrike does have Peregrine now! And Raust has a pretty accent. Both of which I will get to...sometime. The lair gets ahead of the story sometimes! You've probably also seen me cheating on the Nuzlocke to help out with the dom push (fire vs. ice, how fitting!)
I just breed Clementine with her mate Abelas, the eggs hatched today: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19386976] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/193870/19386976_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19386977] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/193870/19386977_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19386979] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/193870/19386979_350.png[/img] [/url] LOOK AT THEESE LITTLE FLUFFIES OF CUTE!!! Also I send CR for one them to you, I want you to have one of Clems babies
I just breed Clementine with her mate Abelas, the eggs hatched today:

19386976_350.png

19386977_350.png

19386979_350.png

LOOK AT THEESE LITTLE FLUFFIES OF CUTE!!! Also I send CR for one them to you, I want you to have one of Clems babies
wQA8k.gif fy4en.gif

MRJWRkO.png
1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36 37