Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Midnight Sun: A Nuzlocke Story [hiatus]
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36 37
@Cerastes

Oh :( Oh poor sweet Clem. How very tragic.

Your writing is very good. I am so glad you continued this story! :D

Could you please add me to your ping list??
@Cerastes

Oh :( Oh poor sweet Clem. How very tragic.

Your writing is very good. I am so glad you continued this story! :D

Could you please add me to your ping list??
9P7od2r.gifD3EnY5k.jpgNATURE*DOM0YHwyMk.png
@WillowWhisper - Good! I've got some fun plans for him - I was going to wait a little longer to introduce him, but I figured you all needed a sad-break, haha.

@Tempestuous - He is very pretty :o And yes, let's just say that our intrepid bounty-hunters aren't the brightest dragons...

@Neige - Yes they will be! I try not to let my lair get too far ahead of my storytelling, but it'll be a little while before they come into it.

@Zexeos - Yeah, what a buncha meanies. (And don't you dare call it garbage, I love your writing!)

@eeeeel - Hahaha, I saw that. I like using "real-life" families as backstory inspiration - I did that for Raust too. Ah, the Polar Night...not very nice. They do have their reasons, though ;)

@ArgenteaMoon - Awesome, I'll add it! And #notallplaguedragons

@TwoJay - Thank you!! Added!
@WillowWhisper - Good! I've got some fun plans for him - I was going to wait a little longer to introduce him, but I figured you all needed a sad-break, haha.

@Tempestuous - He is very pretty :o And yes, let's just say that our intrepid bounty-hunters aren't the brightest dragons...

@Neige - Yes they will be! I try not to let my lair get too far ahead of my storytelling, but it'll be a little while before they come into it.

@Zexeos - Yeah, what a buncha meanies. (And don't you dare call it garbage, I love your writing!)

@eeeeel - Hahaha, I saw that. I like using "real-life" families as backstory inspiration - I did that for Raust too. Ah, the Polar Night...not very nice. They do have their reasons, though ;)

@ArgenteaMoon - Awesome, I'll add it! And #notallplaguedragons

@TwoJay - Thank you!! Added!
[center][b]Chapter 26: Five Stages[/b] [size=2]@LagMonster @Khoshekh @Tempestuous @starslang @Scyras @excessnight@pensandink @Solaristigres @Nihilo @WillowWhisper @Averis @SolarPhoenix@RizuChan @ArgenteaMoon @Elzerei @eeeeel @tigressRising @hotdoge@Dragonfang @Whimzica @Soleil @Zexeos @windsway @Neige @KIMJA @rax@PandragonsBox @Silurian @Wolcan @AnnaStar353 @Rhyvendra @TwoJay[/size][/center] The three of them were eating breakfast together – not that they’d planned it that way. They had just sort of ended up in the kitchen around the same time, and it seemed like no one really knew what to do with each other. All unsure of how to contend with this yawning chasm between them, a nothingness that took up the air and settled on their chests. Every word and motion felt like the wrong one. “Bleh, more tundra grubs?” Chime groused as she scooped the results of a recent foraging expedition onto her plate. “What I would not give for some actual [i]meat.[/i] I knew a chef in the Cloudsong who could do incredible things with quail. You would not believe. A thousand gems a plate, mind you, but she always cooked for me [i]sans paiement.[/i] Out of the goodness of her heart, of course, not because of the illegally imported spices I was setting her up with. Allegedly setting her up with.” Chime seemed much like her old self – charming smile on her face, feathered hat tipped jauntily to one side. There was little trace of the broken dragon Raust had found in the tower, several days ago. Nor of the solemnity she’d displayed during the meager funeral proceedings, where they’d carried the little golden dragon to a sheltered pine grove high in the nearby mountains, leaving her to sleep with the sky. Raust had thought this unusual, but according to Shrike, it was ancient iceborn tradition. On the Icefield, the ground never thawed enough to dig a grave. Star-burial, the fae had called it. When she’s at peace, she will follow the map laid out by the constellations above, and there she will find her ancestors. Clem’s storm seekers had circled the resting place once, twice, and then were gone. Raust had a feeling they wouldn’t be seeing them again. Shrike had not recovered as quickly as Chime. The fae had turned quiet and grim, keeping up the bare minimum of conversation. Short sentences, one-syllable words. There was a glacial quality to her movement, as if all that kept her going was the rolling weight of the ice behind her. Even so, Raust hadn’t seen her shed a single tear. She was sitting at the same table as him, but not really [i]with[/i] him, her wings angled just slightly away. Over in the food stores, Chime was still prattling on. “Ah, and she made delectable escargot. The most unusual glaze, with paprika and fresh oranges...” Shrike got to her feet abruptly, sending her plate clattering. “I’m going hunting,” she said shortly, leaving the room without further explanation. Raust swallowed his mouthful of food with some difficulty – the void in the room had suddenly darkened, blossomed, sending tendril cracks in every direction. “Should we...” he began haltingly, “is she all right by herself? Those dragons might still be around, I don’t want...” “Shrike can handle herself,” Chime replied, bending over her food. “Of that I am certain.” Out of the corner of his eye, Raust caught the lack of focus in her eyes, the tremor in her hand as she absentmindedly picked at the grubs. Perhaps not handling this as well as he’d thought, but she seemed steadfastly determined not to show it. Gods, they were both so [i]stubborn.[/i] [center][img] http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JUtDBTct_0Q/UQlPKIEt-KI/AAAAAAAALEQ/_G9dBj28G44/s1600/snowflake_divider.gif [/img][/center] Shrike was having trouble sleeping. She had tried to go back to the nursery the first night – the night the world turned on its head. She’d walked in, seen the impression Clementine had left in the grasses just that morning, and walked right back out. Her mind threw up walls wherever she went – everything reminded her of the young tundra. That bunch of flowers, that empty chair, that discarded stirring spoon. She felt doors slamming closed every time, blocking off more and more of herself as a shield. [i]If you don’t think about it, it won’t hurt.[/i] And that worked – during the day. She moved around in a strange sort of dream, going through the motions while not feeling much of anything. But at night she could no longer run from herself. So, she’d taken to pacing the halls when she didn’t have the energy to hunt. It was too quiet at night, and full of ghosts, but anything beat staying still. Tonight, she found herself scrabbling along an unexplored ventilation tunnel, trying to focus on the ancient clawmarks instead of her desire to see a green-tufted tail around every bend. [i]How long ago were these tunnels made?[/i] she forced herself to think. [i]Who thought up the need for ventilation in the first place? And where does this lead?[/i] She got her answer to the last question as she rounded the last curve, encountering an old reed-woven grate, choked with dust. The thing fell apart at her touch, and she emerged from the tunnel, coughing. “Ahh!” The sound came from directly in front of her, making her jump. Once the dust had cleared somewhat, a surprised-looking skydancer came into view. “What are you doing here?” “What are [i]you[/i] doing [i]here?”[/i] Raust replied, sounding disgruntled. You got dirt all over the text I was trying to decipher.” “Oh, I...sorry.” Looking around, she finally recognized the interior of the temple. Raust had been standing near the engravings, and she’d popped out a few feet away from him. “No, really, what were you doing?” The dragon looked her up and down distastefully – she was probably filthy. “I was, uh...what were you doing?” “Before you [i]interrupted,[/i] I was praying, if you must know.” Shrike scoffed before she could stop herself, and Raust shot her a dirty look. She couldn’t help it – there had been a few religious dragons in her old pack, and they had always been viewed with derision. To a mirror, what could prayer accomplish that teeth and claws could not? But maybe she wasn’t all mirror anymore. “Does it...does it help?” she found herself asking quietly. The skydancer softened a little, nodding. “It does for me. You’re welcome to join.” The two of them stood in silence for a while, heads bowed. Shrike’s mind was racing, and before she could stop herself, in the stillness she flashed to the tower, to the storm, to the fight. Oh, gods, what had she done? “It’s my fault,” she heard herself saying, in a tumble of words. Raust gazed up at her, his shoulders dropping a little in defeat. “It’s not,” he said quietly. “The gods had decided that her time had come, and there is nothing you could have done to change that.” “That’s not true,” she hissed at him. “I drove her away. We argued. I should have noticed she was upset, I should have...” “Shhh,” he hushed her. “Don’t do that. What’s done is done. Your friend is gone, and I’m very sorry about that, but you can’t blame yourself.” To her horror, she felt tears springing to her eyes. She half-expected Raust to admonish her, as her father would have [i](“Once you show your weakness, you’re done!”),[/i] but he just laid a hand lightly on her shoulder. That only made her cry harder, which was mortifying. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t...” “Shhh,” she heard him say again. “It’s natural. You keep a lot of things bottled up for such a small dragon.” She felt a bite of resentment at that, but couldn’t exactly argue. Later, she wouldn’t be able to say how long she stood there, with the priest waiting politely at her side. But at some point the tears gave way to sniffling, which was somehow even more embarrassing. Despite that, though, she felt as if something had been lifted from her. She still missed the tundra with all her heart, but the horrible tension had abated. “Get some sleep,” the skydancer told her with an unexpected gentleness, and all she could do was nod. She thought that tonight, she just might do that. But once she reached the doorway, she paused. “Raust. Tomorrow, you’re going to tell me everything you know about that egg. If Clementine died for it, I don’t want that to be in vain.” The skydancer nodded solemnly. “Of course. Everything I know.” [center][img] http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JUtDBTct_0Q/UQlPKIEt-KI/AAAAAAAALEQ/_G9dBj28G44/s1600/snowflake_divider.gif [/img][/center] Raust had just curled up in his study when he heard the click of dragon claws yet again. [i]What could Shrike want now?[/i] he thought, poking his head out of the doorway to ask. The words died on his lips, though – it was the spiral, not the fae, who was slinking into the temple. She looked distinctly ill at ease, her coils moving erratically, as if she wasn’t quite sure where she wanted to be. “Hello?” he called out, trying not to sound annoyed. Chime glanced up sharply, as if she hadn’t expected him to be here. “...Oh. Hello.” She dithered for a moment by the entrance. “Would you mind terribly if I came in?” He sighed through his nose. “I suppose not.” Turning back to his nest, he began to arrange it again. Just as he had gotten comfortable, a small voice rose up from the floor below. “It’s my fault.” Raust couldn’t help his flash of irritation – again? he was trying to [i]sleep[/i] – but was that a hint of [i]sympathy[/i] underneath it? No, of course not. Not after everything she’d done. And besides, maybe she was just talking to herself. “Raust. It’s my fault.” Well, maybe not. He begrudgingly snaked his head back out of the doorway to peer down at her. “Do you want to talk about it?” What was he saying? [i]He[/i] certainly didn’t want to do any talking. Not with [i]her.[/i] “It’s not worth this,” came her voice from below. “Too many deaths because of me. For me. I use them, they get hurt.” This conversation was about the last thing he wanted, but he found himself getting to his feet and making his way down to the floor. Chime wasn’t showing any signs of leaving, and it felt strange speaking from his lofty study. The spiral had seated herself in front of the altar, curled in on herself. She didn’t acknowledge Raust’s presence as he came to sit next to her. [i]Help for the helpless. Comfort for the needy. Forgiveness for the repentant.[/i] It was part of the oath of priesthood he’d taken, but he did not want to comfort her. “My mate is dead because of you. My daughter.” The words left his mouth not as accusation, but as weary fact. It was like an epitaph on a gravestone: sad but unchangeable. Beside him, Chime shivered. “I know,” she replied, her voice hollow. “I know. I did not know Vallin was planning to use your family as [i]appât.[/i] As bait. But I knew the danger as soon as they entered the embassy. I should not...I should not have lied to you.” She paused, seemingly at an uncharacteristic loss for words. “No amount of treasure was worth that. I cannot describe how sorry I am.” He didn’t forgive her. He never would. But he listened. “If it’s any consolation...” she continued, “my mate was lost too, soon after. Vallin was becoming too cocky, and he had it in his head that he was going to steal the emperor’s seal. The [i]grand prix[/i] of thievery, you know. Hadn’t been stolen in a thousand years...oh, but I went along with it. I was head over heels. And we got in too deep. He paid the price. I could not save him.” “It’s not a consolation,” he murmured, surprised to discover he really meant it. “Sage was my sun and roots. It’s not something I would wish on my worst enemy...you, even.” She laughed then, breathy, as though she were holding back tears. “I...no one used to get hurt. Stealing from the [i]bourgeoisie,[/i] no harm. Bring the rich down a few pegs, [i]oui?[/i] But Clementine, she trusted me. I betrayed her and she trusted me. She died, and I...” Raust wasn’t sure what made him do it, but he was reaching out with his wing, enfolding the distraught spiral in it. She tensed for a moment in surprise, and then relaxed, leaning into him. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, and his only response was to hold her tighter. No, this was not forgiveness. But it might be acceptance.

The three of them were eating breakfast together – not that they’d planned it that way. They had just sort of ended up in the kitchen around the same time, and it seemed like no one really knew what to do with each other. All unsure of how to contend with this yawning chasm between them, a nothingness that took up the air and settled on their chests. Every word and motion felt like the wrong one.

“Bleh, more tundra grubs?” Chime groused as she scooped the results of a recent foraging expedition onto her plate. “What I would not give for some actual meat. I knew a chef in the Cloudsong who could do incredible things with quail. You would not believe. A thousand gems a plate, mind you, but she always cooked for me sans paiement. Out of the goodness of her heart, of course, not because of the illegally imported spices I was setting her up with. Allegedly setting her up with.”

Chime seemed much like her old self – charming smile on her face, feathered hat tipped jauntily to one side. There was little trace of the broken dragon Raust had found in the tower, several days ago. Nor of the solemnity she’d displayed during the meager funeral proceedings, where they’d carried the little golden dragon to a sheltered pine grove high in the nearby mountains, leaving her to sleep with the sky. Raust had thought this unusual, but according to Shrike, it was ancient iceborn tradition. On the Icefield, the ground never thawed enough to dig a grave. Star-burial, the fae had called it. When she’s at peace, she will follow the map laid out by the constellations above, and there she will find her ancestors.

Clem’s storm seekers had circled the resting place once, twice, and then were gone. Raust had a feeling they wouldn’t be seeing them again.

Shrike had not recovered as quickly as Chime. The fae had turned quiet and grim, keeping up the bare minimum of conversation. Short sentences, one-syllable words. There was a glacial quality to her movement, as if all that kept her going was the rolling weight of the ice behind her. Even so, Raust hadn’t seen her shed a single tear.

She was sitting at the same table as him, but not really with him, her wings angled just slightly away. Over in the food stores, Chime was still prattling on. “Ah, and she made delectable escargot. The most unusual glaze, with paprika and fresh oranges...”

Shrike got to her feet abruptly, sending her plate clattering. “I’m going hunting,” she said shortly, leaving the room without further explanation.

Raust swallowed his mouthful of food with some difficulty – the void in the room had suddenly darkened, blossomed, sending tendril cracks in every direction. “Should we...” he began haltingly, “is she all right by herself? Those dragons might still be around, I don’t want...”

“Shrike can handle herself,” Chime replied, bending over her food. “Of that I am certain.” Out of the corner of his eye, Raust caught the lack of focus in her eyes, the tremor in her hand as she absentmindedly picked at the grubs. Perhaps not handling this as well as he’d thought, but she seemed steadfastly determined not to show it.

Gods, they were both so stubborn.
snowflake_divider.gif

Shrike was having trouble sleeping. She had tried to go back to the nursery the first night – the night the world turned on its head. She’d walked in, seen the impression Clementine had left in the grasses just that morning, and walked right back out. Her mind threw up walls wherever she went – everything reminded her of the young tundra. That bunch of flowers, that empty chair, that discarded stirring spoon. She felt doors slamming closed every time, blocking off more and more of herself as a shield. If you don’t think about it, it won’t hurt.

And that worked – during the day. She moved around in a strange sort of dream, going through the motions while not feeling much of anything. But at night she could no longer run from herself.

So, she’d taken to pacing the halls when she didn’t have the energy to hunt. It was too quiet at night, and full of ghosts, but anything beat staying still. Tonight, she found herself scrabbling along an unexplored ventilation tunnel, trying to focus on the ancient clawmarks instead of her desire to see a green-tufted tail around every bend. How long ago were these tunnels made? she forced herself to think. Who thought up the need for ventilation in the first place? And where does this lead?

She got her answer to the last question as she rounded the last curve, encountering an old reed-woven grate, choked with dust. The thing fell apart at her touch, and she emerged from the tunnel, coughing.

“Ahh!” The sound came from directly in front of her, making her jump. Once the dust had cleared somewhat, a surprised-looking skydancer came into view. “What are you doing here?”

“What are you doing here?” Raust replied, sounding disgruntled. You got dirt all over the text I was trying to decipher.”

“Oh, I...sorry.” Looking around, she finally recognized the interior of the temple. Raust had been standing near the engravings, and she’d popped out a few feet away from him. “No, really, what were you doing?” The dragon looked her up and down distastefully – she was probably filthy.

“I was, uh...what were you doing?”

“Before you interrupted, I was praying, if you must know.”

Shrike scoffed before she could stop herself, and Raust shot her a dirty look. She couldn’t help it – there had been a few religious dragons in her old pack, and they had always been viewed with derision. To a mirror, what could prayer accomplish that teeth and claws could not?

But maybe she wasn’t all mirror anymore. “Does it...does it help?” she found herself asking quietly. The skydancer softened a little, nodding. “It does for me. You’re welcome to join.”

The two of them stood in silence for a while, heads bowed. Shrike’s mind was racing, and before she could stop herself, in the stillness she flashed to the tower, to the storm, to the fight. Oh, gods, what had she done? “It’s my fault,” she heard herself saying, in a tumble of words. Raust gazed up at her, his shoulders dropping a little in defeat. “It’s not,” he said quietly. “The gods had decided that her time had come, and there is nothing you could have done to change that.”

“That’s not true,” she hissed at him. “I drove her away. We argued. I should have noticed she was upset, I should have...”

“Shhh,” he hushed her. “Don’t do that. What’s done is done. Your friend is gone, and I’m very sorry about that, but you can’t blame yourself.”

To her horror, she felt tears springing to her eyes. She half-expected Raust to admonish her, as her father would have (“Once you show your weakness, you’re done!”), but he just laid a hand lightly on her shoulder. That only made her cry harder, which was mortifying. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t...”

“Shhh,” she heard him say again. “It’s natural. You keep a lot of things bottled up for such a small dragon.” She felt a bite of resentment at that, but couldn’t exactly argue.

Later, she wouldn’t be able to say how long she stood there, with the priest waiting politely at her side. But at some point the tears gave way to sniffling, which was somehow even more embarrassing. Despite that, though, she felt as if something had been lifted from her. She still missed the tundra with all her heart, but the horrible tension had abated. “Get some sleep,” the skydancer told her with an unexpected gentleness, and all she could do was nod.

She thought that tonight, she just might do that.

But once she reached the doorway, she paused. “Raust. Tomorrow, you’re going to tell me everything you know about that egg. If Clementine died for it, I don’t want that to be in vain.”

The skydancer nodded solemnly. “Of course. Everything I know.”
snowflake_divider.gif

Raust had just curled up in his study when he heard the click of dragon claws yet again. What could Shrike want now? he thought, poking his head out of the doorway to ask. The words died on his lips, though – it was the spiral, not the fae, who was slinking into the temple. She looked distinctly ill at ease, her coils moving erratically, as if she wasn’t quite sure where she wanted to be. “Hello?” he called out, trying not to sound annoyed. Chime glanced up sharply, as if she hadn’t expected him to be here. “...Oh. Hello.” She dithered for a moment by the entrance. “Would you mind terribly if I came in?”

He sighed through his nose. “I suppose not.” Turning back to his nest, he began to arrange it again. Just as he had gotten comfortable, a small voice rose up from the floor below.

“It’s my fault.”

Raust couldn’t help his flash of irritation – again? he was trying to sleep – but was that a hint of sympathy underneath it? No, of course not. Not after everything she’d done. And besides, maybe she was just talking to herself.

“Raust. It’s my fault.”

Well, maybe not. He begrudgingly snaked his head back out of the doorway to peer down at her. “Do you want to talk about it?” What was he saying? He certainly didn’t want to do any talking. Not with her. “It’s not worth this,” came her voice from below. “Too many deaths because of me. For me. I use them, they get hurt.”

This conversation was about the last thing he wanted, but he found himself getting to his feet and making his way down to the floor. Chime wasn’t showing any signs of leaving, and it felt strange speaking from his lofty study. The spiral had seated herself in front of the altar, curled in on herself. She didn’t acknowledge Raust’s presence as he came to sit next to her.

Help for the helpless. Comfort for the needy. Forgiveness for the repentant. It was part of the oath of priesthood he’d taken, but he did not want to comfort her. “My mate is dead because of you. My daughter.” The words left his mouth not as accusation, but as weary fact. It was like an epitaph on a gravestone: sad but unchangeable. Beside him, Chime shivered. “I know,” she replied, her voice hollow. “I know. I did not know Vallin was planning to use your family as appât. As bait. But I knew the danger as soon as they entered the embassy. I should not...I should not have lied to you.” She paused, seemingly at an uncharacteristic loss for words. “No amount of treasure was worth that. I cannot describe how sorry I am.”

He didn’t forgive her. He never would. But he listened.

“If it’s any consolation...” she continued, “my mate was lost too, soon after. Vallin was becoming too cocky, and he had it in his head that he was going to steal the emperor’s seal. The grand prix of thievery, you know. Hadn’t been stolen in a thousand years...oh, but I went along with it. I was head over heels. And we got in too deep. He paid the price. I could not save him.”

“It’s not a consolation,” he murmured, surprised to discover he really meant it. “Sage was my sun and roots. It’s not something I would wish on my worst enemy...you, even.”

She laughed then, breathy, as though she were holding back tears. “I...no one used to get hurt. Stealing from the bourgeoisie, no harm. Bring the rich down a few pegs, oui? But Clementine, she trusted me. I betrayed her and she trusted me. She died, and I...”

Raust wasn’t sure what made him do it, but he was reaching out with his wing, enfolding the distraught spiral in it. She tensed for a moment in surprise, and then relaxed, leaning into him. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, and his only response was to hold her tighter.

No, this was not forgiveness. But it might be acceptance.
Each chapter just gets better and better. Gosh. Keep up the excellent work!
Each chapter just gets better and better. Gosh. Keep up the excellent work!
lightshieldl.png

chelsea
she | her
+2 FR

...and we came forth to behold the stars.
je67dzK.gif
@Cerastes
*casually sobs in a corner* I have so many feels for Shrike, I'm glad she got a good cry in. It was very interesting to hear some of the backstory between Chime and Raust, too! Everyone is so well written, aaaaaaaa.
@Cerastes
*casually sobs in a corner* I have so many feels for Shrike, I'm glad she got a good cry in. It was very interesting to hear some of the backstory between Chime and Raust, too! Everyone is so well written, aaaaaaaa.
@Cerastes

;_;

Nooo the feels. Whyyyyy! Clem dying was probably the worst death based scenario that could've happened. Curse you and your ability to give me feels.

Really though I love this story so far.
@Cerastes

;_;

Nooo the feels. Whyyyyy! Clem dying was probably the worst death based scenario that could've happened. Curse you and your ability to give me feels.

Really though I love this story so far.
@Cerastes oh noooooooo :c
@Cerastes oh noooooooo :c
Professional Grump

I live for memes
@Cerastes
/sobs while screaming
@Cerastes
/sobs while screaming
[s]I'M SO SORRY YOU GUYS[/s] [quote name="Averis" date=2015-11-20 15:41:25] the worst death based scenario that could've happened. [/quote] HONESTLY, though. It is so sad and I'm trying to give it the gravity it deserves, without making it too overwhelming :c I promise I will occasionally let good things happen to them too, someday @WillowWhisper - you are much too kind! @eeeeel - I'm glad too, honestly. Even lil ice dragons need to let it out sometimes.
I'M SO SORRY YOU GUYS
Averis wrote on 2015-11-20:
the worst death based scenario that could've happened.

HONESTLY, though. It is so sad and I'm trying to give it the gravity it deserves, without making it too overwhelming :c I promise I will occasionally let good things happen to them too, someday

@WillowWhisper - you are much too kind!

@eeeeel - I'm glad too, honestly. Even lil ice dragons need to let it out sometimes.

A branch snapped under Quint’s paw, and he froze halfway up the tree. He needn’t have worried, though – the three dragons below were totally oblivious. They’d been passing around a jug of some acrid-smelling liquid for the past hour, and their conversation had become steadily louder and less coherent. A peal of raucous laughter sounded below, and Quint adjusted his grip on the branch, listening.

“Oy, Darla, I remember that. Right stupid dragon. Thought we wouldn’t be able to find ‘im if he crossed through a stream.” The big ridgeback chuckled, swaying slightly on his feet. You’re the right stupid dragon, Quint thought with a hint of satisfaction. The three had been hot on his tail for the better part of the day, but he’d managed to throw them off toward evening, circling back to watch them set up camp. There were some advantages to being quick and very small.

The male mirror reached for the jug and took a swig. “So what’s the deal with this one, then? What’d he do?”

“Oh, who knows?” the female mirror replied. “Lotsa rumors flying around. Most recent one says he killed a tundra family in cold blood.”

“Yikes,” the other mirror grunted. “I gotta say, kind of impressive for a little guy. What do you reckon the Polar Night wants with a psycho fae, though?”

“No idea,” the ridgeback rumbled, his words slurring together. “You ask me, that pack’s gone off the deep end recently. You hear they got a new leader? I met ‘im last year. Little tan fellow, red wings. You mirrors are all shifty blokes – oy, don’t hit me, it’s the truth – but he’s something else. Dangerous.”

“You think the cult stuff is true?” the white mirror was saying, her voice hushed. Quint pricked up his ears so he wouldn’t miss anything.

“Cult stuff?” The other mirror sounded confused.

“Yeah, I’ve heard all kinds of things. Messing around with dark magic, that kind of stuff...you know, necromancy.” She pronounced it neecro-mancy, drawing out the e.

“You thinking of that Nameless group, or whatever?” the ridgeback asked. “Weird stuff with skeletons? I got a buddy up in the Great Furnace, said there was type o’ incident with them a few weeks ago. Spells with baby dragon bones, creepy stuff.”

“Ay, not our problem though,” the male mirror chortled. “We’re gonna be living like kings once we catch this crook and get our payout.”

“I’ll drink to that!” that ridgeback boomed, grabbing the jug back from him.

They lapsed into silence soon after, one by one curling up on bedrolls they’d spread on the ice. Up in his tree, Quint was mulling it over. Cults? Bones? Mirrors? What did any of this have to do with him? And they thought he was a murderer? Part of him sort of liked the idea...a vision of himself as a cold-blooded assassin popped into his head. Calculating, deadly, able to kill with just a touch...and with cool assassin armor of course. And cool weapons. Ninja stars or something.

Focus. An idea had planted itself in his head a few minutes ago, and now he was giving it some serious thought. In the middle of the sleeping bounty hunters, next to the embers of their dying fire, rested three large packs. There would be supplies in there, and more importantly, food. Quint was starving, and the frigid air wasn’t helping anything, ramping up his already fast metabolism. It would be risky, but so would be running off into the dark tundra without anything to eat.

Mind made up, he began carefully descending from his perch, afraid that each branch he put his weight on would snap and wake the hunters sleeping below. When he reached the ground without incident, he let out the breath he’d been holding. So far, so good.

Now came the hard part. He crept toward the circle of sleeping dragons, wincing at the crunch of snow underfoot. They did not stir, though, and Quint was feeling pretty confident as he entered the circle of dim firelight. Ever so slowly, he stepped in between two of the dragons, skirting around the ridgeback’s massive muzzle. A single one of the beast’s teeth was as long as Quint’s body, and he shuddered to think what that pointed nose spike could do if the dragon were to wake up.

Heart thumping, Quint slunk past the snoring behemoth, holding his breath until he reached the pile of packs. He fumbled with the drawstrings until they pulled open, and he rummaged around as quietly as he could. A blanket – that might come in handy, he was freezing – a knife, some whittled chunks of wood. At the back, he found wrapped packages of food. His mood fell a little as he checked each one – meat, meat, and more meat. The other two packs were much the same: lots of food, but nothing he could eat. Great.

Unthinking, he kicked at the jug in frustration. He hadn’t realized the thing would be almost empty, though, and it fell on its side with a clatter. Whoops.

On the other side of the fire, the female mirror’s eyes slid open. Quint stood frozen, a mouse before a hawk. Maybe she wouldn’t see him, maybe she’d just go back to sleep...

The dragon leapt to her feet with a snarl, and Quint backpedaled furiously, almost tripping over the ridgeback’s snout in his haste to avoid the mirror’s claws. Her lunge missed – narrowly – and Quint lurched into the air. Oh gods. This was a bad idea. Behind him, the mirror took a running leap and spread her wings, quickly closing the distance between them. He dodged, but she followed, angling her wings in an attempt to keep up with his tight turn. Oh gods. Oh gods. Panicked, Quint cast around for something he could use as shelter, but there were only snow and pines. Maybe he could lose her in the trees, somehow?

Wings in a blur, he made a beeline for them – but not quite quickly enough. A hard muzzle slammed into his side, knocking him out of the air. He fell heavily after a brief tumble, and flipped onto his back, raising his claws above his face in a pathetic attempt at shielding himself. The mirror landed a second later, paws digging into the snow on either side of his body, trapping him. “Gotcha,” she hissed, fins laying flat against her skull. He’d been impressed by the ridgeback’s teeth, but hers looked just as deadly this close up.

He scowled up at her for a moment, and then shot a breath attack, hitting her square in the face. It wasn’t very powerful, though, and it only made her jerk her head away in surprise. “Oh, so that’s how it’s gonna be?” she snarled, stamping a paw on his throat before he could get away. “You know what your bounty says, you little punk? Dead or alive.” Quint struggled to free himself, but she had a vicelike grip on him. Air! He needed air! He was scrabbling against her claws with all his strength, but they wouldn’t budge...

Just when his vision was turning to static, the pressure on his windpipe abated. He lay still for a moment, taking gulps of the frigid air while his head cleared. When he’d recovered enough to prop himself up on his elbows, an unusual sight greeted him. Maybe I hit my head...?

The mirror was grappling with some kind of large bear, which had evidently shouldered her away from Quint. The two struggled furiously, then broke away, the mirror circling the creature warily. The bear stood with its weight balanced forward, staring at the dragon as if daring her to come closer. And dare she did, lunging forward teeth-first. The bear was ready for her, and she withdrew with a yelp, nursing a bleeding front leg. “I don’t know where you got this thing,” the mirror hissed at Quint through gritted teeth. “But I’ll be back. You just wait.” She spat on the snow and began to limp away, not taking her eyes off the bear until she had reached a safe distance. Quint’s savior was stolid as it watched her go.

“Hey,” he called out to it, hoping the bear had been defending him as a friend, rather than as a tasty snack. “Uh, thanks.” It ignored him until the mirror was out of sight, and then swiveled its massive head in his direction. Quint gulped – its eyes were a blank icy-blue, and almost seemed to glow with a cold light. As it stared at him, pictures flashed through his mind: towering stone spires under a vast expanse of stars, the glittering walls of an abandoned fortress, long-dead creatures trapped for eons beneath the ice. This was an ancient creature, one at home in this frozen waste.

It regarded him for a second longer, then turned and began to shamble away. Quint catalogued the choices available to him: follow a strange creature into unknown lands, or wait here for the mirror to come back. With her friends.

Quint unstuck his wings from the ice, shook them off, and alighted into the cold night. The bear seemed as though it had been waiting for him – as soon as he’d caught up, it broke into an easy lope, paws somehow barely making a whisper against the ice. He kept pace with it in the air, glancing back every so often to make sure the bounty hunters weren’t yet following.

One day in the Icefield, and here he was following a bear to gods knew where, on the run from dragons that had pegged him as a murderer. Great. Perhaps his father hadn’t been so wrong about this place.

A branch snapped under Quint’s paw, and he froze halfway up the tree. He needn’t have worried, though – the three dragons below were totally oblivious. They’d been passing around a jug of some acrid-smelling liquid for the past hour, and their conversation had become steadily louder and less coherent. A peal of raucous laughter sounded below, and Quint adjusted his grip on the branch, listening.

“Oy, Darla, I remember that. Right stupid dragon. Thought we wouldn’t be able to find ‘im if he crossed through a stream.” The big ridgeback chuckled, swaying slightly on his feet. You’re the right stupid dragon, Quint thought with a hint of satisfaction. The three had been hot on his tail for the better part of the day, but he’d managed to throw them off toward evening, circling back to watch them set up camp. There were some advantages to being quick and very small.

The male mirror reached for the jug and took a swig. “So what’s the deal with this one, then? What’d he do?”

“Oh, who knows?” the female mirror replied. “Lotsa rumors flying around. Most recent one says he killed a tundra family in cold blood.”

“Yikes,” the other mirror grunted. “I gotta say, kind of impressive for a little guy. What do you reckon the Polar Night wants with a psycho fae, though?”

“No idea,” the ridgeback rumbled, his words slurring together. “You ask me, that pack’s gone off the deep end recently. You hear they got a new leader? I met ‘im last year. Little tan fellow, red wings. You mirrors are all shifty blokes – oy, don’t hit me, it’s the truth – but he’s something else. Dangerous.”

“You think the cult stuff is true?” the white mirror was saying, her voice hushed. Quint pricked up his ears so he wouldn’t miss anything.

“Cult stuff?” The other mirror sounded confused.

“Yeah, I’ve heard all kinds of things. Messing around with dark magic, that kind of stuff...you know, necromancy.” She pronounced it neecro-mancy, drawing out the e.

“You thinking of that Nameless group, or whatever?” the ridgeback asked. “Weird stuff with skeletons? I got a buddy up in the Great Furnace, said there was type o’ incident with them a few weeks ago. Spells with baby dragon bones, creepy stuff.”

“Ay, not our problem though,” the male mirror chortled. “We’re gonna be living like kings once we catch this crook and get our payout.”

“I’ll drink to that!” that ridgeback boomed, grabbing the jug back from him.

They lapsed into silence soon after, one by one curling up on bedrolls they’d spread on the ice. Up in his tree, Quint was mulling it over. Cults? Bones? Mirrors? What did any of this have to do with him? And they thought he was a murderer? Part of him sort of liked the idea...a vision of himself as a cold-blooded assassin popped into his head. Calculating, deadly, able to kill with just a touch...and with cool assassin armor of course. And cool weapons. Ninja stars or something.

Focus. An idea had planted itself in his head a few minutes ago, and now he was giving it some serious thought. In the middle of the sleeping bounty hunters, next to the embers of their dying fire, rested three large packs. There would be supplies in there, and more importantly, food. Quint was starving, and the frigid air wasn’t helping anything, ramping up his already fast metabolism. It would be risky, but so would be running off into the dark tundra without anything to eat.

Mind made up, he began carefully descending from his perch, afraid that each branch he put his weight on would snap and wake the hunters sleeping below. When he reached the ground without incident, he let out the breath he’d been holding. So far, so good.

Now came the hard part. He crept toward the circle of sleeping dragons, wincing at the crunch of snow underfoot. They did not stir, though, and Quint was feeling pretty confident as he entered the circle of dim firelight. Ever so slowly, he stepped in between two of the dragons, skirting around the ridgeback’s massive muzzle. A single one of the beast’s teeth was as long as Quint’s body, and he shuddered to think what that pointed nose spike could do if the dragon were to wake up.

Heart thumping, Quint slunk past the snoring behemoth, holding his breath until he reached the pile of packs. He fumbled with the drawstrings until they pulled open, and he rummaged around as quietly as he could. A blanket – that might come in handy, he was freezing – a knife, some whittled chunks of wood. At the back, he found wrapped packages of food. His mood fell a little as he checked each one – meat, meat, and more meat. The other two packs were much the same: lots of food, but nothing he could eat. Great.

Unthinking, he kicked at the jug in frustration. He hadn’t realized the thing would be almost empty, though, and it fell on its side with a clatter. Whoops.

On the other side of the fire, the female mirror’s eyes slid open. Quint stood frozen, a mouse before a hawk. Maybe she wouldn’t see him, maybe she’d just go back to sleep...

The dragon leapt to her feet with a snarl, and Quint backpedaled furiously, almost tripping over the ridgeback’s snout in his haste to avoid the mirror’s claws. Her lunge missed – narrowly – and Quint lurched into the air. Oh gods. This was a bad idea. Behind him, the mirror took a running leap and spread her wings, quickly closing the distance between them. He dodged, but she followed, angling her wings in an attempt to keep up with his tight turn. Oh gods. Oh gods. Panicked, Quint cast around for something he could use as shelter, but there were only snow and pines. Maybe he could lose her in the trees, somehow?

Wings in a blur, he made a beeline for them – but not quite quickly enough. A hard muzzle slammed into his side, knocking him out of the air. He fell heavily after a brief tumble, and flipped onto his back, raising his claws above his face in a pathetic attempt at shielding himself. The mirror landed a second later, paws digging into the snow on either side of his body, trapping him. “Gotcha,” she hissed, fins laying flat against her skull. He’d been impressed by the ridgeback’s teeth, but hers looked just as deadly this close up.

He scowled up at her for a moment, and then shot a breath attack, hitting her square in the face. It wasn’t very powerful, though, and it only made her jerk her head away in surprise. “Oh, so that’s how it’s gonna be?” she snarled, stamping a paw on his throat before he could get away. “You know what your bounty says, you little punk? Dead or alive.” Quint struggled to free himself, but she had a vicelike grip on him. Air! He needed air! He was scrabbling against her claws with all his strength, but they wouldn’t budge...

Just when his vision was turning to static, the pressure on his windpipe abated. He lay still for a moment, taking gulps of the frigid air while his head cleared. When he’d recovered enough to prop himself up on his elbows, an unusual sight greeted him. Maybe I hit my head...?

The mirror was grappling with some kind of large bear, which had evidently shouldered her away from Quint. The two struggled furiously, then broke away, the mirror circling the creature warily. The bear stood with its weight balanced forward, staring at the dragon as if daring her to come closer. And dare she did, lunging forward teeth-first. The bear was ready for her, and she withdrew with a yelp, nursing a bleeding front leg. “I don’t know where you got this thing,” the mirror hissed at Quint through gritted teeth. “But I’ll be back. You just wait.” She spat on the snow and began to limp away, not taking her eyes off the bear until she had reached a safe distance. Quint’s savior was stolid as it watched her go.

“Hey,” he called out to it, hoping the bear had been defending him as a friend, rather than as a tasty snack. “Uh, thanks.” It ignored him until the mirror was out of sight, and then swiveled its massive head in his direction. Quint gulped – its eyes were a blank icy-blue, and almost seemed to glow with a cold light. As it stared at him, pictures flashed through his mind: towering stone spires under a vast expanse of stars, the glittering walls of an abandoned fortress, long-dead creatures trapped for eons beneath the ice. This was an ancient creature, one at home in this frozen waste.

It regarded him for a second longer, then turned and began to shamble away. Quint catalogued the choices available to him: follow a strange creature into unknown lands, or wait here for the mirror to come back. With her friends.

Quint unstuck his wings from the ice, shook them off, and alighted into the cold night. The bear seemed as though it had been waiting for him – as soon as he’d caught up, it broke into an easy lope, paws somehow barely making a whisper against the ice. He kept pace with it in the air, glancing back every so often to make sure the bounty hunters weren’t yet following.

One day in the Icefield, and here he was following a bear to gods knew where, on the run from dragons that had pegged him as a murderer. Great. Perhaps his father hadn’t been so wrong about this place.
1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36 37