Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Ridgebacks and water...
1 2
So we all know that ridgebacks hate water .. can they drink it? At least the ones that weren't born in water territory any other funny headcannons about ridgeback and water interaction, a funny prank to pull on your non water element ridgie is to put q bucket of water on top of a cave entrance haha or telling your ridgeback friend that you want to say something secret on a day that there is a high chance for rain and see how the ridgeback reacts [emoji=ridgeback sad size=1] [emoji=ridgeback scared size=1]
So we all know that ridgebacks hate water .. can they drink it? At least the ones that weren't born in water territory any other funny headcannons about ridgeback and water interaction, a funny prank to pull on your non water element ridgie is to put q bucket of water on top of a cave entrance haha or telling your ridgeback friend that you want to say something secret on a day that there is a high chance for rain and see how the ridgeback reacts
ridgies only drink soda
ridgies only drink soda
ridgebacks were made by Bossdad and therefore only drink coffee and energy drinks

ridgebacks were made by Bossdad and therefore only drink coffee and energy drinks

that does make me wonder...how do water ridgebacks manage, anyway?

overly confident, super cocky ship captains that suddenly burst hysterically into tears when a drop of seawater hits them
that does make me wonder...how do water ridgebacks manage, anyway?

overly confident, super cocky ship captains that suddenly burst hysterically into tears when a drop of seawater hits them
17499.png UMBRELLA / BROLLY
THEY/HE/SHE
FR +17
MIRROR ENTHUSIAST
I
-
-
-
I
click here for a dapper little lad
@umbrellafella canonically water dragons raised without the option for being on land during their developmental period do not gain the general aversion to water of the breed, as explained in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1327998/321#post_17211218]this post from Undel[/url]: [quote]Ridgebacks that have hatched and lived submersed in water during their formative years would not have the fear of it that ridgeback hatchlings that had dry land experience early-on would have. It is possible for a water-aligned ridgeback hatchling to be afraid of water, if they were given an option of dry land after their hatching. If they have no such option during their growth and learning period, they do not develop the discomfort around water that other ridgebacks do.[/quote] I would assume that ridgebacks would likely be averse to/afraid of being [i]in[/i] water, being rained on, exposed to largish quantities etc., not necessarily to drinking it (like many cats)- this can be presumed from this section of their encyclopedia section on their uh. Borrowing habits: "miles of subterranean pumps siphon fresh water from the neighboring Sunbeam Ruins." But hey, maybe they also have giant dragon straws so they can have as little contact with the water as possible. Dragon sized Drinking fountains, maybe
@umbrellafella canonically water dragons raised without the option for being on land during their developmental period do not gain the general aversion to water of the breed, as explained in this post from Undel:
Quote:
Ridgebacks that have hatched and lived submersed in water during their formative years would not have the fear of it that ridgeback hatchlings that had dry land experience early-on would have. It is possible for a water-aligned ridgeback hatchling to be afraid of water, if they were given an option of dry land after their hatching. If they have no such option during their growth and learning period, they do not develop the discomfort around water that other ridgebacks do.

I would assume that ridgebacks would likely be averse to/afraid of being in water, being rained on, exposed to largish quantities etc., not necessarily to drinking it (like many cats)- this can be presumed from this section of their encyclopedia section on their uh. Borrowing habits: "miles of subterranean pumps siphon fresh water from the neighboring Sunbeam Ruins."

But hey, maybe they also have giant dragon straws so they can have as little contact with the water as possible. Dragon sized Drinking fountains, maybe
Serious answer? Having a fear of water doesn't necessarily mean you're afraid of all amounts of water. Drinking from a tap, or a puddle/stream could be fine, but a big body of water, or needing to actively go in the water, would be the line.

Joke answer? Coffee
Serious answer? Having a fear of water doesn't necessarily mean you're afraid of all amounts of water. Drinking from a tap, or a puddle/stream could be fine, but a big body of water, or needing to actively go in the water, would be the line.

Joke answer? Coffee
1uCNaW7.pngTTTUSP9.pngueG66KW.pngxjP79Zx.pngO0Pbuvo.png
I love a good burger or a juicy peach, but that doesn't mean I want burger grease and peach juice running down my arms. Context matters.

That said, they are a desert-adapted species. It's not impossible that they would get all of the moisture they need from the food they eat. Even without magic, some IRL desert species are that way.

As for funny headcanon...I have a Ridgeback who started as a Spiral. He wants you to know that he definitely does NOT enjoy swimming in hot springs. He is a good and proper Ridgeback now, who likes being very dry, and you should NOT listen to any slander that says he arrives at dig sites still smelling like sulfur. Clear?
I love a good burger or a juicy peach, but that doesn't mean I want burger grease and peach juice running down my arms. Context matters.

That said, they are a desert-adapted species. It's not impossible that they would get all of the moisture they need from the food they eat. Even without magic, some IRL desert species are that way.

As for funny headcanon...I have a Ridgeback who started as a Spiral. He wants you to know that he definitely does NOT enjoy swimming in hot springs. He is a good and proper Ridgeback now, who likes being very dry, and you should NOT listen to any slander that says he arrives at dig sites still smelling like sulfur. Clear?
cDDSaqc.png
This reminds me of a joke that I quite like-
Q: Did you hear about the man who drank all of the water in the United States?
A: After that, he started drinking Canada Dry! <- highlight for punchline
Context, if needed: Canada Dry is a brand of ginger ale in the US

As far as my own lore, I'll be honest... I tend to forget this unless reminded. That said, I think the people who are saying "Ridgies don't mind a cup of water, they just don't want to get wet" are the most similar to my line of logic. I don't think my Ridgie barkeep could do her job if it didn't work that way.
This reminds me of a joke that I quite like-
Q: Did you hear about the man who drank all of the water in the United States?
A: After that, he started drinking Canada Dry! <- highlight for punchline
Context, if needed: Canada Dry is a brand of ginger ale in the US

As far as my own lore, I'll be honest... I tend to forget this unless reminded. That said, I think the people who are saying "Ridgies don't mind a cup of water, they just don't want to get wet" are the most similar to my line of logic. I don't think my Ridgie barkeep could do her job if it didn't work that way.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

I find it both ironic and yet logical that Ridgebacks hate water considering where they are from. The Shifting Expanse seems to not receive much if any rain despite the constant thunderstorms, and is pretty dry. I wouldn't be surprised if native-born Ridgebacks of the Shifting Expanse have never seen a significant body of water larger than a small pond(unless they live on the coastline). Another reason could be if flash floods occur in the Shifting Expanse, they could be devastating if caught in them. Maybe they can't swim? Who knows.
Wouldn't it be funny if they could do the Thorny Devil thing of sticking their finger in a cup of water and the water running along their skin to their mouth?
I find it both ironic and yet logical that Ridgebacks hate water considering where they are from. The Shifting Expanse seems to not receive much if any rain despite the constant thunderstorms, and is pretty dry. I wouldn't be surprised if native-born Ridgebacks of the Shifting Expanse have never seen a significant body of water larger than a small pond(unless they live on the coastline). Another reason could be if flash floods occur in the Shifting Expanse, they could be devastating if caught in them. Maybe they can't swim? Who knows.
Wouldn't it be funny if they could do the Thorny Devil thing of sticking their finger in a cup of water and the water running along their skin to their mouth?
I always thought the aversion to water was more of a lightning Ridgeback thing due to thunderstorms being common in the shifting expanse. Being caught in a large body of water when the sky is feeling particularly zappy would prolly be rather dangerous, particularly for hatchlings. So its not water in general so much as the danger it can pose.
I always thought the aversion to water was more of a lightning Ridgeback thing due to thunderstorms being common in the shifting expanse. Being caught in a large body of water when the sky is feeling particularly zappy would prolly be rather dangerous, particularly for hatchlings. So its not water in general so much as the danger it can pose.
jzx6ljT.gif
he/it
Shop
......Peach time.
1 2