Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Fix gathering screen button placement
1 2 3 4
[quote name="Stormdragon" date="2021-06-27 13:34:18" ] I made a quick mock-up of what I thought may make sense for improvements. Ideally, this would be my preferred layout and QOL changes. Main page: Pretty good as-is, it would be nice to be able to do more than one gathering turn at a time. If the number of items generated is a concern, maybe you can only do 5 turns at a time, like how you can only open 10 chests at one time. [img]https://i.imgur.com/jO7Giv3.jpg[/img] Gathering page: This is what I think would make sense. Sorry for the strange sizing of things. Was trying to not spend too much time making this look pretty. In short, put the navigation buttons on the right side, and the items gathered on the left. This allows for a bunch of lines for generated items. [img]https://i.imgur.com/JlsnYBj.jpg[/img] You'd be able to select the number of repeated turns as well, maybe having it default to whatever number you chose on the main page, and only have numbers up to the gathering turns you have remaining. It would also have in the text what Flight you're gathering in. And if they wanted, there could be a space or divider between normally gathered items and "special" items. Perhaps even a small text divider that says what the event is that the items pertain to. - UPDATED to show what event items would look like. [/quote] Oooh, I really like this mock up. This should stop the buttons jumping about and get rid of the unnecessary padding. :3 Support!
Stormdragon wrote on 2021-06-27 13:34:18:
I made a quick mock-up of what I thought may make sense for improvements.

Ideally, this would be my preferred layout and QOL changes.

Main page:
Pretty good as-is, it would be nice to be able to do more than one gathering turn at a time. If the number of items generated is a concern, maybe you can only do 5 turns at a time, like how you can only open 10 chests at one time.
jO7Giv3.jpg

Gathering page:
This is what I think would make sense. Sorry for the strange sizing of things. Was trying to not spend too much time making this look pretty. In short, put the navigation buttons on the right side, and the items gathered on the left. This allows for a bunch of lines for generated items.
JlsnYBj.jpg
You'd be able to select the number of repeated turns as well, maybe having it default to whatever number you chose on the main page, and only have numbers up to the gathering turns you have remaining. It would also have in the text what Flight you're gathering in.
And if they wanted, there could be a space or divider between normally gathered items and "special" items. Perhaps even a small text divider that says what the event is that the items pertain to. - UPDATED to show what event items would look like.

Oooh, I really like this mock up. This should stop the buttons jumping about and get rid of the unnecessary padding. :3 Support!
tumblr_inline_pfkgulDiIn1rl0bsp_100.pngGY5Jmcm.png old-oaks-3.png
Doesn't this change mainly hurt users zoomed in on mobile, and users who increase the base size of page zoom for accessibility? The second one is obviously more important. The convenience of not scrolling is something every player should have when doing their dailies on the site like gathering turns. A smaller event drops container, or a container of drops to the side, or as has been suggested no notif (my issue with that is we'd then have a system for the drops that onboards fewer players to the site-wide events), would all help to eliminate the main issue I'm having at the moment, which is how much unused page space some users will be dealing with.

I'm probably in the minority in really supporting the introduction of this space at first since I hated the button always jumping locations, but I support a redesign that does both: gives us site-wide dailies onboarding for the events we're all to pitch in for, and not make some players add a need to scroll to do their dailies.

Edit: wanted to get my thoughts out and now catching up on the thread. I love the mockups! Support!
Doesn't this change mainly hurt users zoomed in on mobile, and users who increase the base size of page zoom for accessibility? The second one is obviously more important. The convenience of not scrolling is something every player should have when doing their dailies on the site like gathering turns. A smaller event drops container, or a container of drops to the side, or as has been suggested no notif (my issue with that is we'd then have a system for the drops that onboards fewer players to the site-wide events), would all help to eliminate the main issue I'm having at the moment, which is how much unused page space some users will be dealing with.

I'm probably in the minority in really supporting the introduction of this space at first since I hated the button always jumping locations, but I support a redesign that does both: gives us site-wide dailies onboarding for the events we're all to pitch in for, and not make some players add a need to scroll to do their dailies.

Edit: wanted to get my thoughts out and now catching up on the thread. I love the mockups! Support!
i do like the mockups, but i assume that the reason for there not being a "gather for x turns" option is to display more ads and therefore increase ad revenue.

the buttons do still jump, though. my gather again button is normally about halfway onscreen. when an item comes up, it jumps to almost offscreen entirely. this needs to be fixed, as the initial "fix" didn't even work, and there is a very vocal portion of the userbase that is upset with this change
i do like the mockups, but i assume that the reason for there not being a "gather for x turns" option is to display more ads and therefore increase ad revenue.

the buttons do still jump, though. my gather again button is normally about halfway onscreen. when an item comes up, it jumps to almost offscreen entirely. this needs to be fixed, as the initial "fix" didn't even work, and there is a very vocal portion of the userbase that is upset with this change
This issue still needs addressing.
This issue still needs addressing.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
This is even worse for me since the refactor— I now cannot see the buttons even zoomed out once. I have to go ridiculously small to use Gathering comfortably without scrolling a ton.

The button placement still jumped for me during the Sunparched Prowl so I could not keep my mouse still and click even when zoomed out.

The fix to add a bunch of white space is still causing huge problems and not fixing the original issue and I'm incredibly disappointed that it was kept through the refactor even though other nice QoL things were added. Gathering is now way more difficult to use for people like me with small screens, and the original issue is still not fixed.
This is even worse for me since the refactor— I now cannot see the buttons even zoomed out once. I have to go ridiculously small to use Gathering comfortably without scrolling a ton.

The button placement still jumped for me during the Sunparched Prowl so I could not keep my mouse still and click even when zoomed out.

The fix to add a bunch of white space is still causing huge problems and not fixing the original issue and I'm incredibly disappointed that it was kept through the refactor even though other nice QoL things were added. Gathering is now way more difficult to use for people like me with small screens, and the original issue is still not fixed.
[quote name="Trafa1garLaw" date="2021-06-25 05:44:04" ] According to the dev post here https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3029139/5#post_48119275 the change was intentional. I really don't understand why they went with this route though, it's the worst possible solution to the button jumping problem the extra dustcarve item drops caused. I support changing the page layout back to how it used to be, the scrolling to reach the repeat gathering button is inconvenient and really annoying. [/quote] This was wierd from even start. fest items shown at same raw as other drops and I do not see any reason why do not put mini-event otems same place.
Trafa1garLaw wrote on 2021-06-25 05:44:04:
According to the dev post here https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/3029139/5#post_48119275 the change was intentional. I really don't understand why they went with this route though, it's the worst possible solution to the button jumping problem the extra dustcarve item drops caused.

I support changing the page layout back to how it used to be, the scrolling to reach the repeat gathering button is inconvenient and really annoying.
This was wierd from even start. fest items shown at same raw as other drops and I do not see any reason why do not put mini-event otems same place.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
[quote name="mothscale" date="2022-06-22 07:31:02" ] This is even worse for me since the refactor— I now cannot see the buttons even zoomed out once. I have to go ridiculously small to use Gathering comfortably without scrolling a ton. The button placement still jumped for me during the Sunparched Prowl so I could not keep my mouse still and click even when zoomed out. The fix to add a bunch of white space is still causing huge problems and not fixing the original issue and I'm incredibly disappointed that it was kept through the refactor even though other nice QoL things were added. Gathering is now way more difficult to use for people like me with small screens, and the original issue is still not fixed. [/quote] I'm very disappointed that it got even worse with the refactor which makes no sense. I was previously able to click the buttons just barely but now all of them are completely off my screen. It's discouraging that almost all of the new features are seemingly fit to larger screens- I noticed this with the new Crim layout. And my computer isn't even small?? So in general, an additional suggestion is to make the refactors able to work with various screen sizes instead of worsening the problems. Maybe they need to test how it will look on multiple sizes of browsers?
mothscale wrote on 2022-06-22 07:31:02:

I'm very disappointed that it got even worse with the refactor which makes no sense. I was previously able to click the buttons just barely but now all of them are completely off my screen. It's discouraging that almost all of the new features are seemingly fit to larger screens- I noticed this with the new Crim layout. And my computer isn't even small??
So in general, an additional suggestion is to make the refactors able to work with various screen sizes instead of worsening the problems. Maybe they need to test how it will look on multiple sizes of browsers?
PX2x8Tb.pngimage-9.pngWCSunday.pngFragmented-Tablet.pngKelBIQc.png
[quote name="LXIX" date="2021-08-06 14:36:20" ] I'm probably in the minority in really supporting the introduction of this space at first since I hated the button always jumping locations, but I support a redesign that does both: gives us site-wide dailies onboarding for the events we're all to pitch in for, and not make some players add a need to scroll to do their dailies. [/quote] The button still jumps, though. Just not as much. The "fix" was not a full fix. I also wouldn't mind the space if it wasn't for the fact that I have to scroll/push space to click it due to my screen size. Would be better to put the button above the "oh you found extra stuff!" or something.
LXIX wrote on 2021-08-06 14:36:20:

The button still jumps, though. Just not as much. The "fix" was not a full fix.

I also wouldn't mind the space if it wasn't for the fact that I have to scroll/push space to click it due to my screen size.

Would be better to put the button above the "oh you found extra stuff!" or something.
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
I was hoping this problem would be fixed with the gathering page refactor, but no. Please fix this and get rid of that extra space devs, the extra clicking and scrolling here is not only annoying, it makes my wrist hurt.

FR really feels like it's becoming more and more click-heavy and unfriendly towards people with painful hand/wrist conditions like myself with each feature update.
I was hoping this problem would be fixed with the gathering page refactor, but no. Please fix this and get rid of that extra space devs, the extra clicking and scrolling here is not only annoying, it makes my wrist hurt.

FR really feels like it's becoming more and more click-heavy and unfriendly towards people with painful hand/wrist conditions like myself with each feature update.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
1 2 3 4