Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Hoardsell buyback
1 2
We've all been there, accidentally hoardselling something like an egg or an eliminate, or maybe something else we simply find valuable. While the confirmation window certainly does help, it's not going to prevent every single mistake.

So I thought, why not a "buyback" option for items? Like we have for exalted dragons.

The way it would work would basically be: every item/stack that you hoardsell will give you your treasure but the item/stack doesn't get instantly deleted. Rather, you have a timed (couple of minutes?) window to buy back anything you didn't mean to actually hoardsell. It could be implemented in a couple of ways:
  • A special section of the hoard for items/stacks that are 'in process' of being removed
  • The item/stack stays in its spot in your hoard, but is faded or greyed out, or has a special symbol that tells you it's going to be removed
  • A section in self-service, where dragon restoration is

It could even have a small fee to sink treasure! And, if necessary, maybe a one-item/stack-per-day limit or something.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Quote:
Things that have been bought up:

"It would be difficult for coders to code and for the system to keep track of; items and stacks do not have their own individual IDs and classifications"
~That does sound like a major problem, unfortunately. But, according to crossroads errors, the site does seem to treat items/stacks as individuals in at least some way (also evident in the way apparel and familiars are all single units). So I thought, if that's already kind of a thing, there could technically be a chance? But yeah, I don't claim to know anything about coding and site structure. I could honestly have it all wrong!

"It could cause heavy server load / lots of extra data that would slow the site down"
~possible. Again, something I can't make any credible comments on. I do have the assumption that the server load and extra data wouldn't be a big deal, considering we already have unlimited hoard space and can only hoardsell max. 28 units at once. That really is just an assumption, though!

"The site does not need so many 'undo mistake' options"
~Also a fair point, though I personally feel like that's more subjective. That might just be me, though! Feel free to tell me more, I'd love to hear others' points of view on this.

"Hoardselling already asks for confirmation"
~It does, and, it definitely probably works pretty well. But misclicks are a thing, and so is simply not being aware until you've clicked "yes" and noticed that something important is gone. PLUS also some have mentioned that they mindlessly click "ok" nowadays on popups just to get them to go away, increasing the chance for accidents.

...actually, this is a good place for another suggestion, for the game to show you a better preview of what you're about to sell... maybe... oh man, Quality of Life sure is complicated sometimes.

"This feature is not something coders should prioritize working on at the time being"
~though I find this subjective as well, I agree! I feel like a hoard revamp/upgrade would be in order first and foremost, and only then would any smaller updates like buyback make sense to be developed.
We've all been there, accidentally hoardselling something like an egg or an eliminate, or maybe something else we simply find valuable. While the confirmation window certainly does help, it's not going to prevent every single mistake.

So I thought, why not a "buyback" option for items? Like we have for exalted dragons.

The way it would work would basically be: every item/stack that you hoardsell will give you your treasure but the item/stack doesn't get instantly deleted. Rather, you have a timed (couple of minutes?) window to buy back anything you didn't mean to actually hoardsell. It could be implemented in a couple of ways:
  • A special section of the hoard for items/stacks that are 'in process' of being removed
  • The item/stack stays in its spot in your hoard, but is faded or greyed out, or has a special symbol that tells you it's going to be removed
  • A section in self-service, where dragon restoration is

It could even have a small fee to sink treasure! And, if necessary, maybe a one-item/stack-per-day limit or something.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Quote:
Things that have been bought up:

"It would be difficult for coders to code and for the system to keep track of; items and stacks do not have their own individual IDs and classifications"
~That does sound like a major problem, unfortunately. But, according to crossroads errors, the site does seem to treat items/stacks as individuals in at least some way (also evident in the way apparel and familiars are all single units). So I thought, if that's already kind of a thing, there could technically be a chance? But yeah, I don't claim to know anything about coding and site structure. I could honestly have it all wrong!

"It could cause heavy server load / lots of extra data that would slow the site down"
~possible. Again, something I can't make any credible comments on. I do have the assumption that the server load and extra data wouldn't be a big deal, considering we already have unlimited hoard space and can only hoardsell max. 28 units at once. That really is just an assumption, though!

"The site does not need so many 'undo mistake' options"
~Also a fair point, though I personally feel like that's more subjective. That might just be me, though! Feel free to tell me more, I'd love to hear others' points of view on this.

"Hoardselling already asks for confirmation"
~It does, and, it definitely probably works pretty well. But misclicks are a thing, and so is simply not being aware until you've clicked "yes" and noticed that something important is gone. PLUS also some have mentioned that they mindlessly click "ok" nowadays on popups just to get them to go away, increasing the chance for accidents.

...actually, this is a good place for another suggestion, for the game to show you a better preview of what you're about to sell... maybe... oh man, Quality of Life sure is complicated sometimes.

"This feature is not something coders should prioritize working on at the time being"
~though I find this subjective as well, I agree! I feel like a hoard revamp/upgrade would be in order first and foremost, and only then would any smaller updates like buyback make sense to be developed.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

__ c6nYENf.png __ dcbbuos.png
no support, that would be a nightmare to code and keep track of. if you hoardsell something, too bad, you won't make that mistake again.
no support, that would be a nightmare to code and keep track of. if you hoardsell something, too bad, you won't make that mistake again.
66.png
Sorry, but like most 'undo mistakes' suggestions, I don't support.

This would be a LOT of information that would need to be kept track of and how long would that information need to be kept? If it is longer than say 5 minutes, then there is the problem of when players, especially those who coli, might hoard sell another stack of items that are identical to what they already hoard sold, or when they hoard sell more (ie get some trinkets from the coliseum, exalt dragons that are being trained, hoard sell trinkets, then start training some other dragons, then repeat the exalt and hoard sell.)

Since the items aren't 'unique' like dragons (ie all dragons have their own ID numbers, but each item is only listed under the base items ID. So, your stack of 99 mender's talismans are only listed under menders talisman. There aren't 99 unique instances of that item in your hoard.), it would become a nightmare to keep track of, and try to determine 'okay, this amount expires, but there is still that amount left and so on'.

At the end of the day, players should use mistakes like this as learning experiences and try to not repeat the same mistake over. I can understand how easy it is to hit the wrong button, and to click the wrong thing, Ihave done it myself, but it is ultimately down to my own mistakes and not something the site should rectify (except to get rid of all the useless popups that make the confirmations 'are you sure you want to do this irreversible action' get lost in the crowd)

This would be a LOT of information that would need to be kept track of and how long would that information need to be kept? If it is longer than say 5 minutes, then there is the problem of when players, especially those who coli, might hoard sell another stack of items that are identical to what they already hoard sold, or when they hoard sell more (ie get some trinkets from the coliseum, exalt dragons that are being trained, hoard sell trinkets, then start training some other dragons, then repeat the exalt and hoard sell.)

Since the items aren't 'unique' like dragons (ie all dragons have their own ID numbers, but each item is only listed under the base items ID. So, your stack of 99 mender's talismans are only listed under menders talisman. There aren't 99 unique instances of that item in your hoard.), it would become a nightmare to keep track of, and try to determine 'okay, this amount expires, but there is still that amount left and so on'.

At the end of the day, players should use mistakes like this as learning experiences and try to not repeat the same mistake over. I can understand how easy it is to hit the wrong button, and to click the wrong thing, Ihave done it myself, but it is ultimately down to my own mistakes and not something the site should rectify (except to get rid of all the useless popups that make the confirmations 'are you sure you want to do this irreversible action' get lost in the crowd)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="LuckOfTheClaws" date="2020-04-23 14:49:33" ] no support, that would be a nightmare to code and keep track of. if you hoardsell something, too bad, you won't make that mistake again. [/quote] Well, I do admit, I don't know much about coding so I can't say anything on that regard. Though, to be fair, the site already has the dragon restoration feature, which means the coders [i]should[/i] be capable of making a similar feature for items, no? But yeah, again, I'm no coder, so I can't make much of a comment on it other than that. All I can say is that I've made use of such a feature on other online games and it's an absolute godsend.
LuckOfTheClaws wrote on 2020-04-23 14:49:33:

Well, I do admit, I don't know much about coding so I can't say anything on that regard. Though, to be fair, the site already has the dragon restoration feature, which means the coders should be capable of making a similar feature for items, no?

But yeah, again, I'm no coder, so I can't make much of a comment on it other than that. All I can say is that I've made use of such a feature on other online games and it's an absolute godsend.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

[quote name="Jemadar" date="2020-04-23 15:21:34" ] Sorry, but like most 'undo mistakes' suggestions, I don't support. This would be a LOT of information that would need to be kept track of and how long would that information need to be kept? If it is longer than say 5 minutes, then there is the problem of when players, especially those who coli, might hoard sell another stack of items that are identical to what they already hoard sold, or when they hoard sell more (ie get some trinkets from the coliseum, exalt dragons that are being trained, hoard sell trinkets, then start training some other dragons, then repeat the exalt and hoard sell.) Since the items aren't 'unique' like dragons (ie all dragons have their own ID numbers, but each item is only listed under the base items ID. So, your stack of 99 mender's talismans are only listed under menders talisman. There aren't 99 unique instances of that item in your hoard.), it would become a nightmare to keep track of, and try to determine 'okay, this amount expires, but there is still that amount left and so on'. At the end of the day, players should use mistakes like this as learning experiences and try to not repeat the same mistake over. I can understand how easy it is to hit the wrong button, and to click the wrong thing, Ihave done it myself, but it is ultimately down to my own mistakes and not something the site should rectify (except to get rid of all the useless popups that make the confirmations 'are you sure you want to do this irreversible action' get lost in the crowd) [/quote] Thanks for the insight! I do see how there could technically be a few issues with the system/server keeping track of the items since people do hoardsell a lot at once. In which case the 'couple of hours' would probably be a bit toooo long, but honestly, in the case of an accidental sale, I doubt anything more than 5 minutes would be needed anyway? And yeah with the stack thing as well, there'd probably have to be some kind of system implemented that does temporarily differentiate stacks which could strain the server. Though, tbh, something like that must exist already, since in crossroads trades, if you want to send your 3 stacks of items to 3 different people, you'll have to make sure you select a different stack for each pending trade or it'll give an error for the people trying to accept. A way to maaaybe view the "buyback" section is as a "secondary hoard". Instead of getting instantly removed, the item/stack just gets moved to that "hoard", and then, in 5 minutes, get remove permanently. Or, even better, it could just be implemented as a 5 minute delay on the removal, which you can cancel within those minutes. So not much would have to be changed by the sound of it (but really, I don't know anything about FR's code, so these are all just speculations. Also I'd expect a hoard revamp to take place before that) Other than that, I do agree that mistakes like that are a learning point, and that's nice and all, but at the end of the day, I don't personally see a very huge problem with an automatic 'undo mistakes' system that doesn't harm the economy. At least... I don't think it would, especially if it had a fee and a daily limit.
Jemadar wrote on 2020-04-23 15:21:34:

Thanks for the insight! I do see how there could technically be a few issues with the system/server keeping track of the items since people do hoardsell a lot at once. In which case the 'couple of hours' would probably be a bit toooo long, but honestly, in the case of an accidental sale, I doubt anything more than 5 minutes would be needed anyway?

And yeah with the stack thing as well, there'd probably have to be some kind of system implemented that does temporarily differentiate stacks which could strain the server. Though, tbh, something like that must exist already, since in crossroads trades, if you want to send your 3 stacks of items to 3 different people, you'll have to make sure you select a different stack for each pending trade or it'll give an error for the people trying to accept.

A way to maaaybe view the "buyback" section is as a "secondary hoard". Instead of getting instantly removed, the item/stack just gets moved to that "hoard", and then, in 5 minutes, get remove permanently. Or, even better, it could just be implemented as a 5 minute delay on the removal, which you can cancel within those minutes. So not much would have to be changed by the sound of it (but really, I don't know anything about FR's code, so these are all just speculations. Also I'd expect a hoard revamp to take place before that)

Other than that, I do agree that mistakes like that are a learning point, and that's nice and all, but at the end of the day, I don't personally see a very huge problem with an automatic 'undo mistakes' system that doesn't harm the economy. At least... I don't think it would, especially if it had a fee and a daily limit.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

[quote name="Gouldiae" date="2020-04-23 15:22:19" ] [quote name="LuckOfTheClaws" date="2020-04-23 14:49:33" ] no support, that would be a nightmare to code and keep track of. if you hoardsell something, too bad, you won't make that mistake again. [/quote] Well, I do admit, I don't know much about coding so I can't say anything on that regard. Though, to be fair, the site already has the dragon restoration feature, which means the coders [i]should[/i] be capable of making a similar feature for items, no? But yeah, again, I'm no coder, so I can't make much of a comment on it other than that. All I can say is that I've made use of such a feature on other online games and it's an absolute godsend. [/quote] The problem with this line of thinking is, the site already keeps track of dragons that were exalted and they are still tied to the account that exalted them, so having a way to just restore them to the account isn't as difficult to add in, because all the information is already there. For items, that info just goes poof. The admins would have to code in an entirely new system that keeps track of the items even after they've been erased. Hoard selling already has confirmation pop ups to eliminate mistakes, there's no need to add in a bunch of extra coding for little gain.
Gouldiae wrote on 2020-04-23 15:22:19:

Well, I do admit, I don't know much about coding so I can't say anything on that regard. Though, to be fair, the site already has the dragon restoration feature, which means the coders should be capable of making a similar feature for items, no?

But yeah, again, I'm no coder, so I can't make much of a comment on it other than that. All I can say is that I've made use of such a feature on other online games and it's an absolute godsend.
The problem with this line of thinking is, the site already keeps track of dragons that were exalted and they are still tied to the account that exalted them, so having a way to just restore them to the account isn't as difficult to add in, because all the information is already there.

For items, that info just goes poof. The admins would have to code in an entirely new system that keeps track of the items even after they've been erased. Hoard selling already has confirmation pop ups to eliminate mistakes, there's no need to add in a bunch of extra coding for little gain.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png
[quote name="vihuff" date="2020-04-23 15:34:58" ] [quote name="Gouldiae" date="2020-04-23 15:22:19" ] [quote name="LuckOfTheClaws" date="2020-04-23 14:49:33" ] no support, that would be a nightmare to code and keep track of. if you hoardsell something, too bad, you won't make that mistake again. [/quote] Well, I do admit, I don't know much about coding so I can't say anything on that regard. Though, to be fair, the site already has the dragon restoration feature, which means the coders [i]should[/i] be capable of making a similar feature for items, no? But yeah, again, I'm no coder, so I can't make much of a comment on it other than that. All I can say is that I've made use of such a feature on other online games and it's an absolute godsend. [/quote] The problem with this line of thinking is, the site already keeps track of dragons that were exalted and they are still tied to the account that exalted them, so having a way to just restore them to the account isn't as difficult to add in, because all the information is already there. For items, that info just goes poof. The admins would have to code in an entirely new system that keeps track of the items even after they've been erased. Hoard selling already has confirmation pop ups to eliminate mistakes, there's no need to add in a bunch of extra coding for little gain. [/quote] I actually mentioned in the previous post an idea that, if the item/stack just didn't get insta-erased, but instead just had a 5 minute delay before being permanently removed, it does sound like it could work without a lot of difficult coding. not claiming to know for sure, though. I guess at the end of the day it'd be up to the FR coders to decide whether this is actually plausible or not, heh.
vihuff wrote on 2020-04-23 15:34:58:
Gouldiae wrote on 2020-04-23 15:22:19:

The problem with this line of thinking is, the site already keeps track of dragons that were exalted and they are still tied to the account that exalted them, so having a way to just restore them to the account isn't as difficult to add in, because all the information is already there.

For items, that info just goes poof. The admins would have to code in an entirely new system that keeps track of the items even after they've been erased. Hoard selling already has confirmation pop ups to eliminate mistakes, there's no need to add in a bunch of extra coding for little gain.

I actually mentioned in the previous post an idea that, if the item/stack just didn't get insta-erased, but instead just had a 5 minute delay before being permanently removed, it does sound like it could work without a lot of difficult coding.

not claiming to know for sure, though. I guess at the end of the day it'd be up to the FR coders to decide whether this is actually plausible or not, heh.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

It is up to the FR staff to decide, but personally I would prefer they use the coding staff for other features.

Each stack is treated as an individual, potentially, but what if you hoard sell 4 of an item, bring out 34 of the same item, and hoard sell it, then obtain another X of the same item and hoard sell it? Technically it should all go to a single stack. But instead the site would have to keep track of three different stacks of different numbers.

Plus, there is another consideration, well two really.

The first has been brought up: this information isn't something the site already keeps track of, so this would simply be additional information that is practically useless (as there would be relative few 'undo mistakes' compared to the number of times people use the hoard sell feature). Information that could take up a lot of data simply due to the huge number of items and players.

The second is that this could also cause lag when those items are purged from the database. Exalted dragons ,as far as I know, aren't purged (ie, all the data is left alone pretty much, I am not even sure bios and such are purged), but imagine the site having to purge all this information every time the time limit runs out...
It is up to the FR staff to decide, but personally I would prefer they use the coding staff for other features.

Each stack is treated as an individual, potentially, but what if you hoard sell 4 of an item, bring out 34 of the same item, and hoard sell it, then obtain another X of the same item and hoard sell it? Technically it should all go to a single stack. But instead the site would have to keep track of three different stacks of different numbers.

The first has been brought up: this information isn't something the site already keeps track of, so this would simply be additional information that is practically useless (as there would be relative few 'undo mistakes' compared to the number of times people use the hoard sell feature). Information that could take up a lot of data simply due to the huge number of items and players.

The second is that this could also cause lag when those items are purged from the database. Exalted dragons ,as far as I know, aren't purged (ie, all the data is left alone pretty much, I am not even sure bios and such are purged), but imagine the site having to purge all this information every time the time limit runs out...

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2020-04-23 17:08:48" ] It is up to the FR staff to decide, but personally I would prefer they use the coding staff for other features. Each stack is treated as an individual, potentially, but what if you hoard sell 4 of an item, bring out 34 of the same item, and hoard sell it, then obtain another X of the same item and hoard sell it? Technically it should all go to a single stack. But instead the site would have to keep track of three different stacks of different numbers. Plus, there is another consideration, well two really. The first has been brought up: this information isn't something the site already keeps track of, so this would simply be additional information that is practically useless (as there would be relative few 'undo mistakes' compared to the number of times people use the hoard sell feature). Information that could take up a lot of data simply due to the huge number of items and players. The second is that this could also cause lag when those items are purged from the database. Exalted dragons ,as far as I know, aren't purged (ie, all the data is left alone pretty much, I am not even sure bios and such are purged), but imagine the site having to purge all this information every time the time limit runs out... [/quote] The site already 'purges' everything you selected from the database when you hoardsell; doing it after a time limit wouldn't change much on the server side of things, surely. I don't see how it would, but, if it would, then yeah that would be a point against the feature for sure. However, your first point about the system keeping track of stuff is, yeah, the biggest concern, I feel like. I do wonder how much unnecessary data that actually would be, though. Since hoard space is unlimited, it really must not be that much, though? Because if it was, we'd surely get hoard space limits left and right.
Jemadar wrote on 2020-04-23 17:08:48:

The site already 'purges' everything you selected from the database when you hoardsell; doing it after a time limit wouldn't change much on the server side of things, surely. I don't see how it would, but, if it would, then yeah that would be a point against the feature for sure.

However, your first point about the system keeping track of stuff is, yeah, the biggest concern, I feel like. I do wonder how much unnecessary data that actually would be, though. Since hoard space is unlimited, it really must not be that much, though? Because if it was, we'd surely get hoard space limits left and right.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

Honestly I'd appreciate something like this, if it were feasible. Eeven just a undo button on the currently worthless "you've hoard sold your stuff!" popup, that didn't work anymore after that popup is closed.

Though for me the issue I often find is that, especially on mobile, things get checked inadvertently (the lair drives me nuts with this it'll select dragons in edit mode that I absolutely haven't touched and screw it up when I'm moving things) and it makes me paranoid about selling something that I didn't click on purpose. So I spend a lot of time going over and over the hoard page to make sure.

Which could also be solved by getting an inventory list when hoardselling telling you what you are selling. Since once you click that sell button you CAN'T see all of what's checked and what isn't. And frankly seeing those little checkmarks is not that easy anyway.

Something like
Quote:
You are about to sell the selected items.
(29) Phytocat Toy
(2) Flowering Vulpine Plushie
(1) Unhatched Earth Egg
For x total treasure
This action is irreversible. Do you wish to continue?

At least then there's be an actual opportunity to recognize it before you make a mistake. Which would be just as good as a way to undo one after it's made.
Honestly I'd appreciate something like this, if it were feasible. Eeven just a undo button on the currently worthless "you've hoard sold your stuff!" popup, that didn't work anymore after that popup is closed.

Though for me the issue I often find is that, especially on mobile, things get checked inadvertently (the lair drives me nuts with this it'll select dragons in edit mode that I absolutely haven't touched and screw it up when I'm moving things) and it makes me paranoid about selling something that I didn't click on purpose. So I spend a lot of time going over and over the hoard page to make sure.

Which could also be solved by getting an inventory list when hoardselling telling you what you are selling. Since once you click that sell button you CAN'T see all of what's checked and what isn't. And frankly seeing those little checkmarks is not that easy anyway.

Something like
Quote:
You are about to sell the selected items.
(29) Phytocat Toy
(2) Flowering Vulpine Plushie
(1) Unhatched Earth Egg
For x total treasure
This action is irreversible. Do you wish to continue?

At least then there's be an actual opportunity to recognize it before you make a mistake. Which would be just as good as a way to undo one after it's made.
1 2