Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Legacy eye type
1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 57 58
[quote name="@Ningyo" date="2018-10-29 08:09:39" ] I know they’ve never brought old art back before, but since the original/Legacy eyes look fine beside the new Common (or even better than new Common) in terms of quality, I feel like it could certainly be an exception. [/quote] If ever something could be an exception, it's this. Legacy versions of apparel would make for a lot of MP/chest clutter, legacy versions of genes would look awkwardly-named (although I personally wouldn't have minded Jup/Sat A and Jup/Sat B or whatever), and in both of those cases, people would complain that they still have the old version and would've preferred the new or got forcibly updated to the new and want to swap it for the old, and there wouldn't be an existing mechanic to let them easily switch between them without bothering the staff. Legacy vials would be [i]one[/i] item that they could release under whatever means and which neither the staff nor users who don't notice or care about the difference would ever need to think about again.
@Ningyo wrote on 2018-10-29 08:09:39:
I know they’ve never brought old art back before, but since the original/Legacy eyes look fine beside the new Common (or even better than new Common) in terms of quality, I feel like it could certainly be an exception.

If ever something could be an exception, it's this.

Legacy versions of apparel would make for a lot of MP/chest clutter, legacy versions of genes would look awkwardly-named (although I personally wouldn't have minded Jup/Sat A and Jup/Sat B or whatever), and in both of those cases, people would complain that they still have the old version and would've preferred the new or got forcibly updated to the new and want to swap it for the old, and there wouldn't be an existing mechanic to let them easily switch between them without bothering the staff.

Legacy vials would be one item that they could release under whatever means and which neither the staff nor users who don't notice or care about the difference would ever need to think about again.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
@Lara8 - I agree! I wouldn’t mind “legacy” versions of old apparel and alternate Jupiter/Saturn, but I understand why those haven’t been brought back.

Apparel gets updated if the art looks old and clunky next to newer apparel, and since they’re trying to keep apparel quality fairly consistent, I can get why we don’t have Legacy Dented Iron Armor and things like that. Plus the issue of sorting out whether the existing stuff should be reverted to “Legacy” or if Legacy versions should be added, and the naming... I’d like to have Legacy apparel as well, but it doesn’t feel entirely feasible. (Apparel that’s closer to the looks of the original would be nice, though, like bigger/tougher roundhorns and pale yellow bows.)

Jupiter/Saturn having 2 versions might be more doable, but that could also cause some (possibly expensive) confusion with people buying/breeding the wrong version, as well as the issues you mentioned.

But with Legacy eyes, the art still looks good. It wouldn’t be like seeing the old Dented Iron Pauldrons next to the Tree Warden’s Garb, where the Dented stuff would look old and dated. The original eyes did not look dated; they were more detailed and expressive than the current Common, and looked completely fine on all dragons. Nobody ever said “I like Pearlcatchers, but I wish they’d give them new eyes, these ones look out of place with the rest of the art”.

Legacy eyes wouldn’t affect anyone who didn’t use Legacy vials, the vials could be clearly named and described to avoid confusion, the eyes wouldn’t be breedable, they wouldn’t affect the artistic unity of the site, and they’d let users fix dragons that got messed over by the change. Broken record again, there is no downside!
@Lara8 - I agree! I wouldn’t mind “legacy” versions of old apparel and alternate Jupiter/Saturn, but I understand why those haven’t been brought back.

Apparel gets updated if the art looks old and clunky next to newer apparel, and since they’re trying to keep apparel quality fairly consistent, I can get why we don’t have Legacy Dented Iron Armor and things like that. Plus the issue of sorting out whether the existing stuff should be reverted to “Legacy” or if Legacy versions should be added, and the naming... I’d like to have Legacy apparel as well, but it doesn’t feel entirely feasible. (Apparel that’s closer to the looks of the original would be nice, though, like bigger/tougher roundhorns and pale yellow bows.)

Jupiter/Saturn having 2 versions might be more doable, but that could also cause some (possibly expensive) confusion with people buying/breeding the wrong version, as well as the issues you mentioned.

But with Legacy eyes, the art still looks good. It wouldn’t be like seeing the old Dented Iron Pauldrons next to the Tree Warden’s Garb, where the Dented stuff would look old and dated. The original eyes did not look dated; they were more detailed and expressive than the current Common, and looked completely fine on all dragons. Nobody ever said “I like Pearlcatchers, but I wish they’d give them new eyes, these ones look out of place with the rest of the art”.

Legacy eyes wouldn’t affect anyone who didn’t use Legacy vials, the vials could be clearly named and described to avoid confusion, the eyes wouldn’t be breedable, they wouldn’t affect the artistic unity of the site, and they’d let users fix dragons that got messed over by the change. Broken record again, there is no downside!
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
I could argue that the old armor still looked good enough, and that if people paid money for it (as one of the armor sets was gem shop), then the artwork really ought to be left alone. I also understand how hard it would be to re-introduce legacy clothing options. Do they existing items revert to the old art? What about the people who bought them for the new art? Does a new set of the old art get release? Then what about the people who previously bought the armor because they like the old art; do they have to rebuy it to get the art they started with?

But, as said before, legacy eyes don't have that problem. Put them in the MP for 25K, and make a ton of people happy. It could be done in an afternoon.
I could argue that the old armor still looked good enough, and that if people paid money for it (as one of the armor sets was gem shop), then the artwork really ought to be left alone. I also understand how hard it would be to re-introduce legacy clothing options. Do they existing items revert to the old art? What about the people who bought them for the new art? Does a new set of the old art get release? Then what about the people who previously bought the armor because they like the old art; do they have to rebuy it to get the art they started with?

But, as said before, legacy eyes don't have that problem. Put them in the MP for 25K, and make a ton of people happy. It could be done in an afternoon.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I really hope we hear some news about this soon. We're closing in on half a year since the eyepocalypse...
I really hope we hear some news about this soon. We're closing in on half a year since the eyepocalypse...
jCVhFoZ.gif
At first, I kind of wanted this, too, not gonna lie.

But now, months later, I feel like it's pointless lingering on the old eyes, since it's pretty obvious that they're not coming back. And... I'm fine with it! I had dragons who looked better with the 'old' eyes, but I'm used to the new ones now, and moved on. The vanishing pupils are not that big of a deal to me personally either, because a) on most breeds with the pupil problem, eyes are barely visible anyway and b) I can just draw/imagine them with whatever kind of eyes I want. Tbh to me, apparel layering inconsistencies are a bigger deal than minor eye changes.

I wouldn't complain, of course, if some kind of a legacy eye vial did get released. Just that I feel like if the staff actually wanted it on the site, they would have done it by now. Plus, there are some inconsistencies with this idea, like any new breeds not being able to have legacy eyes because if they did then that would be strange.
At first, I kind of wanted this, too, not gonna lie.

But now, months later, I feel like it's pointless lingering on the old eyes, since it's pretty obvious that they're not coming back. And... I'm fine with it! I had dragons who looked better with the 'old' eyes, but I'm used to the new ones now, and moved on. The vanishing pupils are not that big of a deal to me personally either, because a) on most breeds with the pupil problem, eyes are barely visible anyway and b) I can just draw/imagine them with whatever kind of eyes I want. Tbh to me, apparel layering inconsistencies are a bigger deal than minor eye changes.

I wouldn't complain, of course, if some kind of a legacy eye vial did get released. Just that I feel like if the staff actually wanted it on the site, they would have done it by now. Plus, there are some inconsistencies with this idea, like any new breeds not being able to have legacy eyes because if they did then that would be strange.
___
Lorie / gemini

FR+8

Tn4TEAZ.png
_
_

__ c6nYENf.png __ dcbbuos.png
@Gouldiae - New breeds could just not have Legacy eyes, though, if that’s an issue. :o Like how you can’t apply male Guardian skins to female Skydancers. Since any new breed would have its own “default” eyes, we would know what to expect from the start, unlike what happened with the current breeds. People specifically purchased/bred/gened dragons to match certain eyes (either for colours, personality, or both), and when the eyes changed, that threw off personality and careful colour matching. However, as new breeds wouldn’t have “pre-update” eyes, that wouldn’t be a problem. There wouldn’t be any “Ugh, the update ruined how my dragon used to look” because the new breed’s eyes [i]always[/i] looked like that. Alternatively, they could make “pseudo-Legacy” eyes for the new breeds, with white sclera, cleaner lineart, better shading, and visible pupils— all things that are at least partially missing from “Common” eyes on current breeds (except for Coatls, for some reason). The “Legacy” name could also be swapped for something like “Vintage”, “Old”, or “Heritage”, as well. That would just imply that they’re old-style, which would work for both actual “Legacy” eyes for the old breeds as well as Legacy-style eyes for new breeds. And... this may be a personal opinion, but even the eyes on small-eyed breeds have always been extremely noticeable to me. I’ve never bought a dragon whose eyes I didn’t like, no matter how small they are. Guardians may have tiny eyes, but Arcane eyes on a Chocolate/Brown/Sand Guardian still stick out and clash to me. :’0 I found the eye changes very obvious, and still haven’t gotten used to them. ;; My poor Nocturnes all lost their pupils, my Spirals lost their pretty eye gradients, and my PCs and Tundras lost the whites of their eyes and got glassy white highlights. And then there’s my first-ever permababy and first Nocturne, who lost a huge amount of detail and personality with the change... [img]http://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=64&wing=67&style=11&gender=1&ages=0&prig=2&secg=5&tert=19&elem=3&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png[/img] Before - Soft green colour, tinted pupil, obvious shading; more 3D [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=64&bodygene=2&breed=11&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=19&tertgene=0&winggene=5&wings=67&auth=7d4bb3f22d0699b090382f0b18c0b229e1da0d14&dummyext=prev.png[/img] After - Harsh yellow-green, sharp black pupil, nonexistent shading; very 2D/flat The change doesn’t bother me as much on some of my dragons, but on a lot of them (like my PCs, Nocs, and Guardians— most of my lair), it’s still really obvious. :c I still look at them and remember how detailed and beautiful their pre-update eyes were and feel sad that we were forced to lose that for no reason. Staff sometimes takes a while to roll things out, too, so I guess the possibility is still there? They haven’t said “no” like they did with Scattersights, at least. We know that they’re looking into the Coli captcha problems, but we haven’t gotten any more word on that yet. Doesn’t mean they’ll never fix it! Same with gene/artwork errors. The thread in the Bugs forum is PACKED with errors, and no errors have been fixed since June 2016, but the fact that I feel like they [i]should[/i] have been fixed by now doesn’t mean they won’t eventually get fixed. Likewise, we were told they were reviewing feedback on the eyes, and they asked us to send in suggestions on one of the post-Eyepocalypse threads. ... I’m just trying to cling to hope, haha. ;u;
@Gouldiae - New breeds could just not have Legacy eyes, though, if that’s an issue. :o Like how you can’t apply male Guardian skins to female Skydancers.

Since any new breed would have its own “default” eyes, we would know what to expect from the start, unlike what happened with the current breeds. People specifically purchased/bred/gened dragons to match certain eyes (either for colours, personality, or both), and when the eyes changed, that threw off personality and careful colour matching. However, as new breeds wouldn’t have “pre-update” eyes, that wouldn’t be a problem. There wouldn’t be any “Ugh, the update ruined how my dragon used to look” because the new breed’s eyes always looked like that.

Alternatively, they could make “pseudo-Legacy” eyes for the new breeds, with white sclera, cleaner lineart, better shading, and visible pupils— all things that are at least partially missing from “Common” eyes on current breeds (except for Coatls, for some reason).

The “Legacy” name could also be swapped for something like “Vintage”, “Old”, or “Heritage”, as well. That would just imply that they’re old-style, which would work for both actual “Legacy” eyes for the old breeds as well as Legacy-style eyes for new breeds.

And... this may be a personal opinion, but even the eyes on small-eyed breeds have always been extremely noticeable to me. I’ve never bought a dragon whose eyes I didn’t like, no matter how small they are. Guardians may have tiny eyes, but Arcane eyes on a Chocolate/Brown/Sand Guardian still stick out and clash to me. :’0

I found the eye changes very obvious, and still haven’t gotten used to them. ;; My poor Nocturnes all lost their pupils, my Spirals lost their pretty eye gradients, and my PCs and Tundras lost the whites of their eyes and got glassy white highlights. And then there’s my first-ever permababy and first Nocturne, who lost a huge amount of detail and personality with the change...
dragonpic2.php?body=64&wing=67&style=11&gender=1&ages=0&prig=2&secg=5&tert=19&elem=3&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png
Before - Soft green colour, tinted pupil, obvious shading; more 3D
dragon?age=0&body=64&bodygene=2&breed=11&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=19&tertgene=0&winggene=5&wings=67&auth=7d4bb3f22d0699b090382f0b18c0b229e1da0d14&dummyext=prev.png
After - Harsh yellow-green, sharp black pupil, nonexistent shading; very 2D/flat

The change doesn’t bother me as much on some of my dragons, but on a lot of them (like my PCs, Nocs, and Guardians— most of my lair), it’s still really obvious. :c I still look at them and remember how detailed and beautiful their pre-update eyes were and feel sad that we were forced to lose that for no reason.

Staff sometimes takes a while to roll things out, too, so I guess the possibility is still there? They haven’t said “no” like they did with Scattersights, at least. We know that they’re looking into the Coli captcha problems, but we haven’t gotten any more word on that yet. Doesn’t mean they’ll never fix it! Same with gene/artwork errors. The thread in the Bugs forum is PACKED with errors, and no errors have been fixed since June 2016, but the fact that I feel like they should have been fixed by now doesn’t mean they won’t eventually get fixed.

Likewise, we were told they were reviewing feedback on the eyes, and they asked us to send in suggestions on one of the post-Eyepocalypse threads.
... I’m just trying to cling to hope, haha. ;u;
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote]Alternatively, they could make “pseudo-Legacy” eyes for the new breeds, with white sclera, cleaner lineart, better shading, and visible pupils— all things that are at least partially missing from “Common” eyes on current breeds (except for Coatls, for some reason).[/quote] I agree with this. It wouldn't require any more work than making new eyes for a new breed. And it would require no work making legacy eyes for existing breeds because all the artwork already exists. All that's needed, literally, is to make an item thumbnail and description, enter the eyes code-side, and throw it in the MP for 25K.
Quote:
Alternatively, they could make “pseudo-Legacy” eyes for the new breeds, with white sclera, cleaner lineart, better shading, and visible pupils— all things that are at least partially missing from “Common” eyes on current breeds (except for Coatls, for some reason).

I agree with this. It wouldn't require any more work than making new eyes for a new breed. And it would require no work making legacy eyes for existing breeds because all the artwork already exists. All that's needed, literally, is to make an item thumbnail and description, enter the eyes code-side, and throw it in the MP for 25K.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Another month, another post.

Legacy eyes:
  • already have artwork
  • already have code framework/mechanical precedent (glowing/dark sclera)
  • would only affect users who want it

We just need a thumbnail and for it to be thrown into circulation. Future breeds could just have the same shading principles as current breeds' Legacy eyes (white sclera, dark pupil, less bright highlights). Players win, staff wins!
Another month, another post.

Legacy eyes:
  • already have artwork
  • already have code framework/mechanical precedent (glowing/dark sclera)
  • would only affect users who want it

We just need a thumbnail and for it to be thrown into circulation. Future breeds could just have the same shading principles as current breeds' Legacy eyes (white sclera, dark pupil, less bright highlights). Players win, staff wins!
I support this because of how other people feel about it. To me, super small details on dragon eyes for adults are very hard to see unless they are really extreme in colour or art addition... a lot of my dragons are too hard for me to see eyes on anyway so I don't entirely care about it personally. I can't even remember what the old ones looked like...

However, I know that there are some people that can see it, and it really bothers them. I think that making a Vial of Legacy Sight would be a perfect solution for this, because the site DID remove an 'option' and didn't even ask anyone how they would feel about changing something that was base.

Good luck.
I support this because of how other people feel about it. To me, super small details on dragon eyes for adults are very hard to see unless they are really extreme in colour or art addition... a lot of my dragons are too hard for me to see eyes on anyway so I don't entirely care about it personally. I can't even remember what the old ones looked like...

However, I know that there are some people that can see it, and it really bothers them. I think that making a Vial of Legacy Sight would be a perfect solution for this, because the site DID remove an 'option' and didn't even ask anyone how they would feel about changing something that was base.

Good luck.
That's what's great about this. It's options. And it doesn't even require new artwork like closed eyes, hollow eyes, laser eyes, or any other type of eye suggestion would need.
That's what's great about this. It's options. And it doesn't even require new artwork like closed eyes, hollow eyes, laser eyes, or any other type of eye suggestion would need.
Pings are disabled.

1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 57 58