Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Please fix Dragon Search
1 2
Hi! I love how specific you can get when searching for dragons on the AH, and I'd really appreciate the same interface when using dragon search. Sorry if this has already been recommended.
Hi! I love how specific you can get when searching for dragons on the AH, and I'd really appreciate the same interface when using dragon search. Sorry if this has already been recommended.
704L65t.png hdaJpv9.gif csCLgDv.gif hdaJpv9.gif Gx6UkT0.png
This has come up before (but there is no rule against duplicating suggestions), however, I would like, before new options are implemented for dragon search, if more privacy options were implemented.

There are many people who just want to play the game without being contacted, and there are many people who have breeding projects that need dragons that aren't always on the AH. While I know many people would be very willing to help with breeding projects, I also know there are those who would prefer not to help.

So, to help with both types of people, I feel that if there were privacy options, in this case, the ability to determine who can contact you, such as friends only, everyone and no one*, then those users who simply don't want random offers to buy dragons, or questions about if this dragon or that dragon is available to breed, they can set it to no one or friends only. This would in turn make it more likely that the players contacted by users who need a particular dragon for a breeding project would be willing to help, or at least reply.

If we were to get privacy options, I would be in full support of more options for the dragon search, but as it is now, while it can still be used to find specific dragons and contact the owners, it is much more difficult to do now.

Also, before someone says 'put it in the dragon bio or on the profile', I have heard of people doing exactly that and players don't read it. Not to mention that if you have specific content, such as lore, having that somewhere might not be something players want, and with more content in the bios/profiles than just that, it can be very easy to miss anyways

*When I say 'no one' I mean no one but the admins and potentially mods. I do not think that there should EVER be a way for users to not let the site admins contact them.
This has come up before (but there is no rule against duplicating suggestions), however, I would like, before new options are implemented for dragon search, if more privacy options were implemented.

There are many people who just want to play the game without being contacted, and there are many people who have breeding projects that need dragons that aren't always on the AH. While I know many people would be very willing to help with breeding projects, I also know there are those who would prefer not to help.

So, to help with both types of people, I feel that if there were privacy options, in this case, the ability to determine who can contact you, such as friends only, everyone and no one*, then those users who simply don't want random offers to buy dragons, or questions about if this dragon or that dragon is available to breed, they can set it to no one or friends only. This would in turn make it more likely that the players contacted by users who need a particular dragon for a breeding project would be willing to help, or at least reply.

If we were to get privacy options, I would be in full support of more options for the dragon search, but as it is now, while it can still be used to find specific dragons and contact the owners, it is much more difficult to do now.

Also, before someone says 'put it in the dragon bio or on the profile', I have heard of people doing exactly that and players don't read it. Not to mention that if you have specific content, such as lore, having that somewhere might not be something players want, and with more content in the bios/profiles than just that, it can be very easy to miss anyways

*When I say 'no one' I mean no one but the admins and potentially mods. I do not think that there should EVER be a way for users to not let the site admins contact them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
i agree. not every dragon that's for sale is on ah and i'd really like to have all the specifics in dragon search to get a full view of what i'm looking for.
i agree. not every dragon that's for sale is on ah and i'd really like to have all the specifics in dragon search to get a full view of what i'm looking for.
queen_katoe.gif
Only with privacy options as I can see people using these new search options as if they were a shoping list. I do not want to be asked about any dragon that I do not offer.

Yes I too made the error of just pming people about their dragons and asking if they were for sale. I've learned though and refuse to do so again and I would like to at least have the option for all of the users uncomfortable with such inquiries to be able to manage them somehow. Having your permas only showing up in a certain way (as in the pic is displayed but no username and no link is given) is one of the options I'd be okay with to prevent harassment.
Only with privacy options as I can see people using these new search options as if they were a shoping list. I do not want to be asked about any dragon that I do not offer.

Yes I too made the error of just pming people about their dragons and asking if they were for sale. I've learned though and refuse to do so again and I would like to at least have the option for all of the users uncomfortable with such inquiries to be able to manage them somehow. Having your permas only showing up in a certain way (as in the pic is displayed but no username and no link is given) is one of the options I'd be okay with to prevent harassment.
This would be extremely useful!

I agree that privacy options would help. But I message people about their dragons a lot (mostly asking about borrowing or hatchling pings, not buying), I always check their profile first, and I don't think I've ever seen someone with any kind of "don't message me" note, so I don't think it's a very common need.

I agree that privacy options would help. But I message people about their dragons a lot (mostly asking about borrowing or hatchling pings, not buying), I always check their profile first, and I don't think I've ever seen someone with any kind of "don't message me" note, so I don't think it's a very common need.
[quote name="nika" date=2018-02-03 11:29:04] This would be extremely useful! I agree that privacy options would help. But I message people about their dragons a lot (mostly asking about borrowing or hatchling pings, not buying), I always check their profile first, and I don't think I've ever seen someone with any kind of "don't message me" note, so I don't think it's a very common need. [/quote] Which is something that I wouldn't want to put in my profile either. I enjoy communication. I have nothing against random pms asking me what movies I like, or just talking about colors or dragons or even usernames. I do however get uncomfortable with sales talk that on things I do not have in mind for sales. But even then putting a 'don't pm me about sales' also gives the wrong vibe. People can pm me about dragons (or other items) on AH in case they are interested and want me to hold or make mixed payments or even trades. I won't necessarily give them a positive answer to their request but I don't mind these. I also don'T mind people pming me about expired sales that I have not (yet) relisted. So when they saw something they liked but were not fast enough I also have nothing against them contacting me about it. So how would I put that in my profile without it becomming a huge assay over what is okay and what is not? Besides the fact that I still plan my profile to become lore only with only a few 'quick links' on the bottom for me. Any form of notes for other players (which might or might not look at these before contact) would not find a fitting place there. The more FR developes the more it becomes clear to me that several privacy options are needed and sorely missing. Basically any user on user contact is done without tools and without a way of knowing what is acceptable or not without having to write essays and basically wasting time again and again when instead with tools and a few settings later people could easily manage thise things with a few mouse clicks. The consequence would be that people allover would be more comfortable onsite. Which again leads back to dragonsearches. Which with certain settings in place could become some sort of bazar where users - if they so want - can offer dragons up for sale and services without having to risk their health with the relist feature. I certainly would use this for my for sale dragons too. Since listing and relisting them in the Ah is quite litereally a pain with all the confirmations and double confirmations and the general unfriendlyness in regards of using your keyboard for all things confirmable. Its a complete riddle to me why listing a dragon (or well anything) on the AH requires me to switch between mouse and keyboard multipme times. So I am also still hoping for more keyboard controll in most FR features too - including the dragonsearch and AH. Whew... Sorry for the possible text wall.
nika wrote on 2018-02-03:

Which is something that I wouldn't want to put in my profile either. I enjoy communication. I have nothing against random pms asking me what movies I like, or just talking about colors or dragons or even usernames. I do however get uncomfortable with sales talk that on things I do not have in mind for sales. But even then putting a 'don't pm me about sales' also gives the wrong vibe. People can pm me about dragons (or other items) on AH in case they are interested and want me to hold or make mixed payments or even trades. I won't necessarily give them a positive answer to their request but I don't mind these. I also don'T mind people pming me about expired sales that I have not (yet) relisted. So when they saw something they liked but were not fast enough I also have nothing against them contacting me about it.

So how would I put that in my profile without it becomming a huge assay over what is okay and what is not? Besides the fact that I still plan my profile to become lore only with only a few 'quick links' on the bottom for me. Any form of notes for other players (which might or might not look at these before contact) would not find a fitting place there.

The more FR developes the more it becomes clear to me that several privacy options are needed and sorely missing. Basically any user on user contact is done without tools and without a way of knowing what is acceptable or not without having to write essays and basically wasting time again and again when instead with tools and a few settings later people could easily manage thise things with a few mouse clicks. The consequence would be that people allover would be more comfortable onsite.

Which again leads back to dragonsearches. Which with certain settings in place could become some sort of bazar where users - if they so want - can offer dragons up for sale and services without having to risk their health with the relist feature.
I certainly would use this for my for sale dragons too. Since listing and relisting them in the Ah is quite litereally a pain with all the confirmations and double confirmations and the general unfriendlyness in regards of using your keyboard for all things confirmable. Its a complete riddle to me why listing a dragon (or well anything) on the AH requires me to switch between mouse and keyboard multipme times. So I am also still hoping for more keyboard controll in most FR features too - including the dragonsearch and AH.

Whew... Sorry for the possible text wall.
@Ismaiel I see what you mean, but I don't think any possible privacy options will let you have a setting that allows people to PM you about movies but not about buying your perma-dragons. I agree that we need privacy options, but I think those will mostly be for people who just don't want to be PMed/pinged/whatever by anyone (other than their friends). But maybe I'm missing something. What kind of privacy options would you want?

If I were you I'd just put "Please don't ask to buy/borrow dragons you didn't see on the AH or a sales forum" or "don't ask to buy dragons that have familiars" or something along those lines in your profile. That seems reasonably simple, and of course it won't cover all possible cases and some people will ignore it anyway, but if you don't want those kinds of messages, it should help.
@Ismaiel I see what you mean, but I don't think any possible privacy options will let you have a setting that allows people to PM you about movies but not about buying your perma-dragons. I agree that we need privacy options, but I think those will mostly be for people who just don't want to be PMed/pinged/whatever by anyone (other than their friends). But maybe I'm missing something. What kind of privacy options would you want?

If I were you I'd just put "Please don't ask to buy/borrow dragons you didn't see on the AH or a sales forum" or "don't ask to buy dragons that have familiars" or something along those lines in your profile. That seems reasonably simple, and of course it won't cover all possible cases and some people will ignore it anyway, but if you don't want those kinds of messages, it should help.
[quote name="@nika" date=2018-02-03 12:37:50] Ismaiel I see what you mean, but I don't think any possible privacy options will let you have a setting that allows people to PM you about movies but not about buying your perma-dragons. I agree that we need privacy options, but I think those will mostly be for people who just don't want to be PMed/pinged/whatever by anyone (other than their friends). But maybe I'm missing something. What kind of privacy options would you want? If I were you I'd just put "Please don't ask to buy/borrow dragons you didn't see on the AH or a sales forum" or "don't ask to buy dragons that have familiars" or something along those lines in your profile. That seems reasonably simple, and of course it won't cover all possible cases and some people will ignore it anyway, but if you don't want those kinds of messages, it should help. [/quote] I think Ismaiel mentioned something in their first post, and I have seen this brought up in the past, but one way to do what they want is to give the ability to make lairs private. IE, you can still search the dragon, but you have no way of knowing who owns it. It brings up a generic page that simply gives the important information on the dragon: colors, dragon image, potentially clothing and familiar, but no bio (as sometimes people can put identifying information in bios) and no name of who owns it or link to the parent lair. A way to set certain dragons like this would be great, but I am not sure how that would work, so I can't really comment on that, but I personally would be fine with an option to be able to set an entire lair private. (perhaps if the dragon is on the AH, the person can buy the dragon from the dragon page still) I really think that FR needs more privacy options in general, but especially in regards to a dragon search, especially if they are going to expand the abilities of the dragon search itself. One or two PMs about a dragon is manageable for most people, but if you happen to have a 'one of a kind' dragon or a popular type (say a triple X gen 1 in the current desired colors), then we probably aren't talking about one or two PMs, but rather quite a few, which then gets annoying. It also brings the potential to accidentally delete or miss an important message as well, if you are constantly PMed about a certain dragon.
@nika wrote on 2018-02-03:
Ismaiel I see what you mean, but I don't think any possible privacy options will let you have a setting that allows people to PM you about movies but not about buying your perma-dragons. I agree that we need privacy options, but I think those will mostly be for people who just don't want to be PMed/pinged/whatever by anyone (other than their friends). But maybe I'm missing something. What kind of privacy options would you want?

I think Ismaiel mentioned something in their first post, and I have seen this brought up in the past, but one way to do what they want is to give the ability to make lairs private.

IE, you can still search the dragon, but you have no way of knowing who owns it. It brings up a generic page that simply gives the important information on the dragon: colors, dragon image, potentially clothing and familiar, but no bio (as sometimes people can put identifying information in bios) and no name of who owns it or link to the parent lair.

A way to set certain dragons like this would be great, but I am not sure how that would work, so I can't really comment on that, but I personally would be fine with an option to be able to set an entire lair private. (perhaps if the dragon is on the AH, the person can buy the dragon from the dragon page still)

I really think that FR needs more privacy options in general, but especially in regards to a dragon search, especially if they are going to expand the abilities of the dragon search itself. One or two PMs about a dragon is manageable for most people, but if you happen to have a 'one of a kind' dragon or a popular type (say a triple X gen 1 in the current desired colors), then we probably aren't talking about one or two PMs, but rather quite a few, which then gets annoying. It also brings the potential to accidentally delete or miss an important message as well, if you are constantly PMed about a certain dragon.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar Oh, that's an interesting idea! Or even just a "don't show in Search results" checkbox for dragons.

And yeah, I can see how getting a lot of PMs would get annoying.
@Jemadar Oh, that's an interesting idea! Or even just a "don't show in Search results" checkbox for dragons.

[quote name="nika" date=2018-02-03 13:10:49] @Jemadar Oh, that's an interesting idea! Or even just a "don't show in Search results" checkbox for dragons. And yeah, I can see how getting a lot of PMs would get annoying. [/quote] That is basically what I suggested as a privacy setting. If my dragons don't turn up in search how would people find out about them to pm me in the first place? Not being found in such a situation is allready the best I can ask for. Other people that generally dislike random people sending pms would benefit from a privacy setting that only allows friends to send pms and/or use the comment function on the profile. And so on. There are so many ways of handling privacy well. But I can't even say FR handles it badly - it doesn't handle privacy at all.
nika wrote on 2018-02-03:

That is basically what I suggested as a privacy setting. If my dragons don't turn up in search how would people find out about them to pm me in the first place? Not being found in such a situation is allready the best I can ask for. Other people that generally dislike random people sending pms would benefit from a privacy setting that only allows friends to send pms and/or use the comment function on the profile. And so on. There are so many ways of handling privacy well. But I can't even say FR handles it badly - it doesn't handle privacy at all.
1 2