Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Name the Unnamed before selling
1 2 3
A warning saying all rights to the dragon are gone would be nice- not just for newbies, but also to people trading dragons.

What really upsets me about this entire drama is the ferocity with which new players are attacked for making suggestions about force-naming dragons or for exalting dragons they were gifted when they joined. They don't always know about the name thing, and the dragons in their lairs are theirs to exalt- or not. People are downright vicious to them over these things. How many new players are driven off by our own players being nasty?

A small reminder that they aren't yours once they leave your lair would help everyone.
A warning saying all rights to the dragon are gone would be nice- not just for newbies, but also to people trading dragons.

What really upsets me about this entire drama is the ferocity with which new players are attacked for making suggestions about force-naming dragons or for exalting dragons they were gifted when they joined. They don't always know about the name thing, and the dragons in their lairs are theirs to exalt- or not. People are downright vicious to them over these things. How many new players are driven off by our own players being nasty?

A small reminder that they aren't yours once they leave your lair would help everyone.
[quote name="Contaminate" date=2015-12-03 13:32:18]I mean, it is a negative outcome. It reduces the resale value of dragons significantly because it's an eyesore.[/quote] But... why? Why is it an eyesore? Why is everyone so hung up on names? (These are rhetorical questions so I don't expect answers as there really is no one right answer. Just food for thought. I bought a dragon with three unnamed kids and I love him and couldn't care less about those unnameds in his offspring list.)
Contaminate wrote on 2015-12-03:
I mean, it is a negative outcome. It reduces the resale value of dragons significantly because it's an eyesore.

But... why? Why is it an eyesore? Why is everyone so hung up on names? (These are rhetorical questions so I don't expect answers as there really is no one right answer. Just food for thought. I bought a dragon with three unnamed kids and I love him and couldn't care less about those unnameds in his offspring list.)
Zo7dCea.png
[quote name="Missywithcheese" date=2015-12-03 13:48:17] A warning saying all rights to the dragon are gone would be nice- not just for newbies, but also to people trading dragons. What really upsets me about this entire drama is the ferocity with which new players are attacked for making suggestions about force-naming dragons or for exalting dragons they were gifted when they joined. They don't always know about the name thing, and the dragons in their lairs are theirs to exalt- or not. People are downright vicious to them over these things. How many new players are driven off by our own players being nasty? A small reminder that they aren't yours once they leave your lair would help everyone. [/quote] I think the biggest problem about the 'force naming' thing is all the threads that popup with other threads on the same page about the exact same subject or one or two pages back. I know there isn't a search function, but just a simple google search for unnamed exalts flight rising, or go back a few pages would turn these threads up. Plus, for me the biggest thing is that it is so SIMPLE to prevent unnamed from appearing in their exalt lists. Simply name the dragon before it is sold. Yet, many of the people who post, don't want to do that for whatever reasons. As for the exalt, as you might have guessed, I am of the opinion that once the dragon is not in your lair, it is not yours. The only way I could see that is if you have a pre-trade agreement stating that the dragon was NOT the new owner's but the new owner was only holding it (or using it to breed etc..) for the old owner. As for being nasty to people who bring it up. Not really, you want to see nasty, look at some of the older threads. Most of the people on the threads i Have seen lately are pretty polite. I would also have to say that if you are posting on a public forum, then you shouldn't be surprised if you get negative comments or anything like that. It is GOING to happen... [quote name="Contaminate" date=2015-12-03 13:32:18] I mean, it is a negative outcome. It reduces the resale value of dragons significantly because it's an eyesore. This seems a decent enough solution for now [/quote] As for this, if you mean 'unnamed' is an eyesore, then I would have to counter with I find names such as 'Wingwing' 'Booplesnoot' and any name with the word 'Fart' in it an eyesore. So pretty much depending on the 'beholder' any name could be an eyesore.
Missywithcheese wrote on 2015-12-03:

I think the biggest problem about the 'force naming' thing is all the threads that popup with other threads on the same page about the exact same subject or one or two pages back. I know there isn't a search function, but just a simple google search for unnamed exalts flight rising, or go back a few pages would turn these threads up. Plus, for me the biggest thing is that it is so SIMPLE to prevent unnamed from appearing in their exalt lists. Simply name the dragon before it is sold. Yet, many of the people who post, don't want to do that for whatever reasons.

As for the exalt, as you might have guessed, I am of the opinion that once the dragon is not in your lair, it is not yours. The only way I could see that is if you have a pre-trade agreement stating that the dragon was NOT the new owner's but the new owner was only holding it (or using it to breed etc..) for the old owner.

As for being nasty to people who bring it up. Not really, you want to see nasty, look at some of the older threads. Most of the people on the threads i Have seen lately are pretty polite. I would also have to say that if you are posting on a public forum, then you shouldn't be surprised if you get negative comments or anything like that. It is GOING to happen...
Contaminate wrote on 2015-12-03:
I mean, it is a negative outcome. It reduces the resale value of dragons significantly because it's an eyesore. This seems a decent enough solution for now

As for this, if you mean 'unnamed' is an eyesore, then I would have to counter with I find names such as 'Wingwing' 'Booplesnoot' and any name with the word 'Fart' in it an eyesore. So pretty much depending on the 'beholder' any name could be an eyesore.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
The issue around unnamed is so insane when as Jemdar said it is so easily solved. I too have unnamed in my Progen offspring list. There is a great story behind it.. but only our Clan Mother can tell it and she is hunting right now. (Lore FTW!)

And again as Jemdar said, the random names are horrific at times. In actual order-

Vigan
Spear
Boolean
Stardew
Orpheus
Deputy
Mair
Bloomthorn

Wow those actually were not the worst and are still not something I would choose for a dragon. And by forcing naming before exalting only causes you to have an progeny list that says

IHAVEANAME
NAMEDDERG
Mulch
Mulch
Mulch
Mulch

Or the Fae I have that I love to bits who has around 8 progeny named Beyonce?

A warning pop up SEEMS to be too much but the obvious problem this issue has over and over over again make it essentially necessary.

Personally barring a hideous mistake no dragon leaves my lair unnamed unless they are going to a personal friend that I know will name them or if someone requests one of my dragons babies for Lore purposes to be kept and exalted unnamed. Because... Lore FTW!
The issue around unnamed is so insane when as Jemdar said it is so easily solved. I too have unnamed in my Progen offspring list. There is a great story behind it.. but only our Clan Mother can tell it and she is hunting right now. (Lore FTW!)

And again as Jemdar said, the random names are horrific at times. In actual order-

Vigan
Spear
Boolean
Stardew
Orpheus
Deputy
Mair
Bloomthorn

Wow those actually were not the worst and are still not something I would choose for a dragon. And by forcing naming before exalting only causes you to have an progeny list that says

IHAVEANAME
NAMEDDERG
Mulch
Mulch
Mulch
Mulch

Or the Fae I have that I love to bits who has around 8 progeny named Beyonce?

A warning pop up SEEMS to be too much but the obvious problem this issue has over and over over again make it essentially necessary.

Personally barring a hideous mistake no dragon leaves my lair unnamed unless they are going to a personal friend that I know will name them or if someone requests one of my dragons babies for Lore purposes to be kept and exalted unnamed. Because... Lore FTW!
Stuff will one day go here.
@Leopardmask
Ouch, unfortunate! The explaination about the naming before exalting can surely be added to the tutorial at the very least. I wouldn't mind both reminders - for selling and exalting - if both can be turned off, too.

___
Also despite not minding much I still tend to name at least the first offsprings of my pairs because the dragon profile does look neater without Unnameds, rows of Pebbles/Snowballs/Wisps or WingWings. I don't really care what happens in the part of the list I don't see without scrolling, though. XD If I knew about the Unnamed stuff, I'd have named Bearcharger's kids too - he's one of my most favorite dragons and it's a bit of an eyesore in his profile, alas.
@Leopardmask
Ouch, unfortunate! The explaination about the naming before exalting can surely be added to the tutorial at the very least. I wouldn't mind both reminders - for selling and exalting - if both can be turned off, too.

___
Also despite not minding much I still tend to name at least the first offsprings of my pairs because the dragon profile does look neater without Unnameds, rows of Pebbles/Snowballs/Wisps or WingWings. I don't really care what happens in the part of the list I don't see without scrolling, though. XD If I knew about the Unnamed stuff, I'd have named Bearcharger's kids too - he's one of my most favorite dragons and it's a bit of an eyesore in his profile, alas.
1 2 3