Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Breeding Cooldowns
1 2 3 4 5
Having been a member of site where breeding was unlimited (prevented only by monetary means), I can say without any hesitation that a breeding cooldown as it is now is a good thing and you'll all be thankful for it later. Like Praeses said, you'll all be swimming in dragons in no time.

I only got one egg from my pair of Imperials, and I have to wait a month to breed them again. I'm fine with that, if disappointed, because otherwise the value of the dragon would go down exponentially. It will, eventually, regardless, when people start making "mills". I'd rather it be a slow crawl towards devalue than a fast one with unlimited breeding (especially since you can purchase boons with real money, giving a distinct advantage to "milling" to those willing to shovel out the cash). I'm glad the Flight Rising staff aren't showing any signs of being greedy and taking advantage of that.
Having been a member of site where breeding was unlimited (prevented only by monetary means), I can say without any hesitation that a breeding cooldown as it is now is a good thing and you'll all be thankful for it later. Like Praeses said, you'll all be swimming in dragons in no time.

I only got one egg from my pair of Imperials, and I have to wait a month to breed them again. I'm fine with that, if disappointed, because otherwise the value of the dragon would go down exponentially. It will, eventually, regardless, when people start making "mills". I'd rather it be a slow crawl towards devalue than a fast one with unlimited breeding (especially since you can purchase boons with real money, giving a distinct advantage to "milling" to those willing to shovel out the cash). I'm glad the Flight Rising staff aren't showing any signs of being greedy and taking advantage of that.
001F_Custom.png
And here was me, going to beg for some sort of "beginning site bonus cool-down speed up" type thing. After reading Oce's post especially, though, I now have very little desire for it. Its the kind of thing that I feel "Oh that's too bad", but I'm not raging about. I can't wait for the end of this month when I'll get to breed my Imperials again!
And here was me, going to beg for some sort of "beginning site bonus cool-down speed up" type thing. After reading Oce's post especially, though, I now have very little desire for it. Its the kind of thing that I feel "Oh that's too bad", but I'm not raging about. I can't wait for the end of this month when I'll get to breed my Imperials again!
8113890e65468d3e592e04d0586e31cc.png
I agree that 2 weeks is an absurd amount of time. On the point of a "slow start", is that really the best way to hook new members? I just joined, but the draw of this site seems to be breeding dragons with neat colors, which you are prompted to do for the first time immediately upon registration. After you do that, you have the option to use your gift hatch-right-now, which I think most people used/will use because they're new and excited and want to see what they got. Then what? "Okay, come back in a month!" Uh, okay, I'll mark my calender I guess and leave?

In order to prevent dragons from losing their value, they could make breeding harder. Maybe the rarer the species, the lower the breeding and hatching success rate?
I agree that 2 weeks is an absurd amount of time. On the point of a "slow start", is that really the best way to hook new members? I just joined, but the draw of this site seems to be breeding dragons with neat colors, which you are prompted to do for the first time immediately upon registration. After you do that, you have the option to use your gift hatch-right-now, which I think most people used/will use because they're new and excited and want to see what they got. Then what? "Okay, come back in a month!" Uh, okay, I'll mark my calender I guess and leave?

In order to prevent dragons from losing their value, they could make breeding harder. Maybe the rarer the species, the lower the breeding and hatching success rate?
remembersepia.png
@Omni I would absolutely hate to have a "success rate" for breeding. I'd rather just wait. There are many other things to do on the site besides breeding, and once the site is more than a few days old there will be plenty of dragons that will allow the average user to work a little in order to breed a bunch of dragons. Keep in mind that each clutch yields between 1 and 5 eggs. If you get 5 eggs, that's 5 more dragons. If you trade them for unrelated hatchlings, that's 2 more breeding pairs that can ALSO yield 1 to 5 eggs. In a few months, if the breeding cooldown was lowered, the site would become boring because breeding is TOO plentiful.

Perhaps think of the future, instead of your own instant gratification, when it comes to making changes to the site.

That said, I support the idea of an item that allows you to "put a dragon in heat" so to speak. Perhaps making it an expensive treasure item, so as not to give money-players a distinct advantage? (I know this was something the FR staff were worried about). It would be nice for young dragons early on when you're trying to up your breeding pool, and would allow for people to more easily breed often early on if they're willing to pay and work for it. I think it would stop a lot of these types of threads.
@Omni I would absolutely hate to have a "success rate" for breeding. I'd rather just wait. There are many other things to do on the site besides breeding, and once the site is more than a few days old there will be plenty of dragons that will allow the average user to work a little in order to breed a bunch of dragons. Keep in mind that each clutch yields between 1 and 5 eggs. If you get 5 eggs, that's 5 more dragons. If you trade them for unrelated hatchlings, that's 2 more breeding pairs that can ALSO yield 1 to 5 eggs. In a few months, if the breeding cooldown was lowered, the site would become boring because breeding is TOO plentiful.

Perhaps think of the future, instead of your own instant gratification, when it comes to making changes to the site.

That said, I support the idea of an item that allows you to "put a dragon in heat" so to speak. Perhaps making it an expensive treasure item, so as not to give money-players a distinct advantage? (I know this was something the FR staff were worried about). It would be nice for young dragons early on when you're trying to up your breeding pool, and would allow for people to more easily breed often early on if they're willing to pay and work for it. I think it would stop a lot of these types of threads.
001F_Custom.png
Don't know what happened to my last post, but,

Okay, it's fine if you would rather just wait. I would rather have a lower success rate. And I'm aware that the site is only a few days old. There's no need to bold it. There are also a ton of suggestion threads for the same reason.

I don't see the point in the long wait, especially for common dragons. Everyone starts with them. They'll always be common. It has nothing to do with my apparent need for instant gratification at the expense of the site's future. Asking for a cool down that isn't 2 weeks is not an unreasonable question, especially since they could raise it later if necessary.
Don't know what happened to my last post, but,

Okay, it's fine if you would rather just wait. I would rather have a lower success rate. And I'm aware that the site is only a few days old. There's no need to bold it. There are also a ton of suggestion threads for the same reason.

I don't see the point in the long wait, especially for common dragons. Everyone starts with them. They'll always be common. It has nothing to do with my apparent need for instant gratification at the expense of the site's future. Asking for a cool down that isn't 2 weeks is not an unreasonable question, especially since they could raise it later if necessary.
remembersepia.png
I'm with that. Breeding is the whole point. If you don't want to reduce the cooldown, at least make it so we can catch breedable adults in the wild or something of that nature.

Some people might not stick out the two week cooldown if they're just starting off, two weeks is a long time.
I'm with that. Breeding is the whole point. If you don't want to reduce the cooldown, at least make it so we can catch breedable adults in the wild or something of that nature.

Some people might not stick out the two week cooldown if they're just starting off, two weeks is a long time.
STORMCATCHER_sig.png
@Remedy You can find eggs while battling or scavenging.
@Remedy You can find eggs while battling or scavenging.
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
Can you? You'd still have to wait a while for them to hatch, though. And another while for them to grow into adults. And I personally haven't found any yet, so I'm guessing they're not entirely common. That's why I mentioned finding adults. Like Lioden does, sort of.

I didn't know that though, that's handy, cool.
Can you? You'd still have to wait a while for them to hatch, though. And another while for them to grow into adults. And I personally haven't found any yet, so I'm guessing they're not entirely common. That's why I mentioned finding adults. Like Lioden does, sort of.

I didn't know that though, that's handy, cool.
STORMCATCHER_sig.png
Bolding is for emphasis, since I was trying to add emphasis to the fact that the site is only a few days old and not in full swing yet, bolding seemed like the ideal method to do that to me. I'm sorry if my bolded letters offended you, that was not the intention.

No, it's not unreasonable, but it's frustrating to see a dozen threads about the exact same thing when it has been explained multiple times that the breeding cooldown is there for a reason, and won't be noticed later on in the games lifespan when adult dragons are easier to come by and more people are able to breed multiple pairs. The fact that people were able to get breeding mills going where they hatched nests every day in the beta, where the cooldown was the same as it is now, I highly doubt the FR staff have any intention of changing that. And I commend them for that.

Too often I've seen sites bend to the will of the users, and get burned for it because it turned out to be a terrible idea for the economy in the long run. Which is exactly what I think lowering the breeding cooldown would be.
Bolding is for emphasis, since I was trying to add emphasis to the fact that the site is only a few days old and not in full swing yet, bolding seemed like the ideal method to do that to me. I'm sorry if my bolded letters offended you, that was not the intention.

No, it's not unreasonable, but it's frustrating to see a dozen threads about the exact same thing when it has been explained multiple times that the breeding cooldown is there for a reason, and won't be noticed later on in the games lifespan when adult dragons are easier to come by and more people are able to breed multiple pairs. The fact that people were able to get breeding mills going where they hatched nests every day in the beta, where the cooldown was the same as it is now, I highly doubt the FR staff have any intention of changing that. And I commend them for that.

Too often I've seen sites bend to the will of the users, and get burned for it because it turned out to be a terrible idea for the economy in the long run. Which is exactly what I think lowering the breeding cooldown would be.
001F_Custom.png
- there was only one thread that i saw about this
- we're not saying remove the cooldown, just shorten it. it's half a month right now. my classes in school can go through an entire section of a lesson in the time it takes me to breed my cartoon dragons once. you can't even breed them more than once over winter break.
- there's no way you can predict the future, are you opposed to giving it a shot even if it would mean a more successful website

The OP had a good suggestion for cooldowns.

I know from personal experience - and I can get others who will attest to this - that a one week cooldown alone is a long time. On sites like Dragoncave and Lioden, the breeding cooldowns were always a pain in the *** and made the game hard to play for long periods of time. People are not patient. The waiting game isn't as fun, especially when breeding is, you know, the point of the game. If the cooldown is really long, people won't want to stick around. They'll get bored.

As for the beta, beta members have more of a connection with FR because they helped fund it and watched it grow into something useable. New members don't have that. They don't owe the site anything.

I know the game's -still- at an early point, but if it doesn't work out it's really not impossible for them to just... raise it up again. Online games change all the time. It's totally possible to just... fix things.

if not
other suggestions:
- give new members an item that lets them breed their dragons again, like with the boon of fertility
- make random, breedable adult common dragons available in the wild, like the lionesses on lioden
- up the rate of finding eggs in the wild
- lower the cooldown and lower the breeding success rate, ala dragcave
- there was only one thread that i saw about this
- we're not saying remove the cooldown, just shorten it. it's half a month right now. my classes in school can go through an entire section of a lesson in the time it takes me to breed my cartoon dragons once. you can't even breed them more than once over winter break.
- there's no way you can predict the future, are you opposed to giving it a shot even if it would mean a more successful website

The OP had a good suggestion for cooldowns.

I know from personal experience - and I can get others who will attest to this - that a one week cooldown alone is a long time. On sites like Dragoncave and Lioden, the breeding cooldowns were always a pain in the *** and made the game hard to play for long periods of time. People are not patient. The waiting game isn't as fun, especially when breeding is, you know, the point of the game. If the cooldown is really long, people won't want to stick around. They'll get bored.

As for the beta, beta members have more of a connection with FR because they helped fund it and watched it grow into something useable. New members don't have that. They don't owe the site anything.

I know the game's -still- at an early point, but if it doesn't work out it's really not impossible for them to just... raise it up again. Online games change all the time. It's totally possible to just... fix things.

if not
other suggestions:
- give new members an item that lets them breed their dragons again, like with the boon of fertility
- make random, breedable adult common dragons available in the wild, like the lionesses on lioden
- up the rate of finding eggs in the wild
- lower the cooldown and lower the breeding success rate, ala dragcave
STORMCATCHER_sig.png
1 2 3 4 5