Back

Skins and Accents

Share and sell your skin creations with other players.
TOPIC | Newbie Question - Art Rights
If I design a skin/accent and buy just one blueprint for it with no duplicates will my dragon be the only one who has that skin, or am I giving FR permission to create and sell my submitted design in the marketplace?

I know a lot of sites like to acquire and use the rights to user submitted art and I wanted to know exactly what I'd be agreeing to with any submission.
If I design a skin/accent and buy just one blueprint for it with no duplicates will my dragon be the only one who has that skin, or am I giving FR permission to create and sell my submitted design in the marketplace?

I know a lot of sites like to acquire and use the rights to user submitted art and I wanted to know exactly what I'd be agreeing to with any submission.
15676646.pnggrimmjow_avatar_by_direncefe-d5yea2j.pngurl.png
This question is probably better asked in the help center forum then here or sent to the actual contact us since relevant parties are more likely to answer rather than regular members like myself that either have no clue or will give you the wrong answer.
This question is probably better asked in the help center forum then here or sent to the actual contact us since relevant parties are more likely to answer rather than regular members like myself that either have no clue or will give you the wrong answer.
@Ceziate You could ask SuburbanSamurai about this since they are in charge of this part of the site, but to answer your question, I believe you have complete rights over skin and accent blueprints. That means you alone have the right to submit it, be it a single copy or multiple packs. You can do this whenever you want, however many times you want, provided you have bought the right blueprints for your artwork from the Custom Skins shop or from users in the Auction House, Items Sales etc.

Flight Rising will not print custom/user made accents or skins to sell in the marketplace, with the exception of contests and such events, in which you're voluntarily submitting your design for this purpose. In other words, the only time you give the staff permission to use your work is when you submit your art to site contests and it wins, in which case your work will be made available when and however they see fit. When that happens, you cannot resubmit this artwork as a custom accent or skin anymore. If your contest entry doesn't win, however, you can still try to submit it as a custom!

As for the actual legal rights to your design, I seem to recall that once you submit your art to Flight Rising it becomes an official site item; you may not sell items for real currency, but you can sell your art as a commission of sorts, even if it's for a Flight Rising accent, skin or just "fanart". The actual guidelines be found in the Terms of Use:
Quote:
The sale of Flight Rising items or accounts for $USD or "real-world" currency is prohibited. (Updated 6/15/2013)
Artists may sell their skin designs or PSD for $USD or "real-world" currency. Once the skin or design is turned into an item on-site, it is considered to be a Flight Rising item and may not be sold for $USD or "real-world" currency. (Updated 6/15/2013)

I think all of what I said this far can be confirmed (or refuted) by the Rules and Guidelines anyway so it's always best to check first :) But yes I believe your dragon will be the only one wearing your artwork if you submit a single blueprint for it. and no, the site won't use your custom design in the marketplace :)
@Ceziate You could ask SuburbanSamurai about this since they are in charge of this part of the site, but to answer your question, I believe you have complete rights over skin and accent blueprints. That means you alone have the right to submit it, be it a single copy or multiple packs. You can do this whenever you want, however many times you want, provided you have bought the right blueprints for your artwork from the Custom Skins shop or from users in the Auction House, Items Sales etc.

Flight Rising will not print custom/user made accents or skins to sell in the marketplace, with the exception of contests and such events, in which you're voluntarily submitting your design for this purpose. In other words, the only time you give the staff permission to use your work is when you submit your art to site contests and it wins, in which case your work will be made available when and however they see fit. When that happens, you cannot resubmit this artwork as a custom accent or skin anymore. If your contest entry doesn't win, however, you can still try to submit it as a custom!

As for the actual legal rights to your design, I seem to recall that once you submit your art to Flight Rising it becomes an official site item; you may not sell items for real currency, but you can sell your art as a commission of sorts, even if it's for a Flight Rising accent, skin or just "fanart". The actual guidelines be found in the Terms of Use:
Quote:
The sale of Flight Rising items or accounts for $USD or "real-world" currency is prohibited. (Updated 6/15/2013)
Artists may sell their skin designs or PSD for $USD or "real-world" currency. Once the skin or design is turned into an item on-site, it is considered to be a Flight Rising item and may not be sold for $USD or "real-world" currency. (Updated 6/15/2013)

I think all of what I said this far can be confirmed (or refuted) by the Rules and Guidelines anyway so it's always best to check first :) But yes I believe your dragon will be the only one wearing your artwork if you submit a single blueprint for it. and no, the site won't use your custom design in the marketplace :)
mFkH05x.gifP89IXuq.gifuilYdph.gif3lCykkq.gifl2b7pW2.gifdq9I2bk.gif
@calavera

Thanks! That's all very good information to have
@calavera

Thanks! That's all very good information to have
15676646.pnggrimmjow_avatar_by_direncefe-d5yea2j.pngurl.png