Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Death by Gold [Private 1x1]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
"I've got it, I think." He huffed under his breath and began hoisting himself up from the floor. This time, luckily, the cot was close enough so that he didn't go flopping down again and injuring himself even further. The small elf sunk into his resting spot with a sigh, one that seemed, luckily, less pain-filled and more disappointed. Oru rubbed his eyes while ever so slowly adjusting himself into a comfortable position. "I'm a disgrace. I can't seem to do anything right. The tribe might as well forget about me at this point." Oru finally took the time to glance around and take in his surroundings as Sparrow had already so expertly done, while he had been far too bothered with his... well, likely fatal wounds.

"Pretentious." He grumbled after his eyes rolled over each and every colored banner, garment, and accessory scattered about the large cart. "How can he find anything in here? How did he even managed to get me 'fixed' up in such a messy jumble of- hey, I can breathe again." Oru suddenly took in a shockingly large and dramatic inhale, enough air to puff up his chest for a moment. It seemed as though he had his lungs shattering down on themselves one minute, and a clear air current the next. That was new.

The elf pressed his hands up against the linen wrap around his torso, pushing against it just enough to slide a finger into the side of a few bandages. When he raised his hand again, there wasn't any blood leftover, and that staining the white was dry and pale crimson, as though it had been there for days. Rather than being absolutely flabbergasted by the discovery that he was no longer in shambles, Oru let out a curious 'huh' and seemed to move on.

"So, why are you here? Did he yank you off for some eventual performance plan too? Or did he actually say 'please, oh please can I ship you off to the city where you're going to be completely out of place and given judgmental looks for being a woodland creature?'"
"I've got it, I think." He huffed under his breath and began hoisting himself up from the floor. This time, luckily, the cot was close enough so that he didn't go flopping down again and injuring himself even further. The small elf sunk into his resting spot with a sigh, one that seemed, luckily, less pain-filled and more disappointed. Oru rubbed his eyes while ever so slowly adjusting himself into a comfortable position. "I'm a disgrace. I can't seem to do anything right. The tribe might as well forget about me at this point." Oru finally took the time to glance around and take in his surroundings as Sparrow had already so expertly done, while he had been far too bothered with his... well, likely fatal wounds.

"Pretentious." He grumbled after his eyes rolled over each and every colored banner, garment, and accessory scattered about the large cart. "How can he find anything in here? How did he even managed to get me 'fixed' up in such a messy jumble of- hey, I can breathe again." Oru suddenly took in a shockingly large and dramatic inhale, enough air to puff up his chest for a moment. It seemed as though he had his lungs shattering down on themselves one minute, and a clear air current the next. That was new.

The elf pressed his hands up against the linen wrap around his torso, pushing against it just enough to slide a finger into the side of a few bandages. When he raised his hand again, there wasn't any blood leftover, and that staining the white was dry and pale crimson, as though it had been there for days. Rather than being absolutely flabbergasted by the discovery that he was no longer in shambles, Oru let out a curious 'huh' and seemed to move on.

"So, why are you here? Did he yank you off for some eventual performance plan too? Or did he actually say 'please, oh please can I ship you off to the city where you're going to be completely out of place and given judgmental looks for being a woodland creature?'"
theultimatecatsig.gif xSkets | She/Her | Bi | Capricorn | Meme | FR + 2
xAuthor | D&D Enthusiast | Worldbuilder | Too Many OCs

xPWYW Dergs
xMeowdy-do
Nochnyr
.......................9UzrfV3.png
Sparrow was about to disagree with Oru’s opinion of the caravan when the elf seemed to discover he could breathe again; she watched as he fingers his bandages and noticed that the blood seemed to be old and stale.

What? she thought, frowning slightly. I could have sworn…?

Maybe she’d just thought she’d seen fresh blood. No—no, she’d seen fresh blood, she knew it—he’d left spots of it on the floor, for heaven’s sake. Yes, there was a smudge of it right next to her boot.

She looked up at Oru in surprise, about to speak again and point out what seemed to her a very strange occurrence indeed; but he cut her off again, asking why she was there. At his following rhetoric question she frowned, tilting her head in concern.

What exactly had she gotten herself into? She thought Clover was simply a traveling performer of some sort, a little odd but friendly. When Oru had been raging earlier she assumed Clover had rescued him from some horrible fate and the elf was just bitter because he’d been humiliated. For all she knew he might just be speaking sarcastically, making up that nonsense about ‘some eventual performance plan’.

Or...was he?

I stopped him, actually,” Sparrow explained, slowly sitting on a nearby crate once she was sure Oru wasn’t going to fall out of the cot. “I was lost, I needed some help to get back to the city.”

Back to the city. Ugh, that tasted unpleasant on her tongue. It was the last thing she wanted to be saying. She’d much prefer to proclaim she was off on some grand adventure, about to come into a large wealth of money--then she could say she was headed ‘back to the city’, going to retrieve her little sister and take her somewhere fantastic, where Lark could sing and dance all she wanted, never having to stop so she could go wait on some noblewoman’s every beck and call.

Reaching absently to make sure her handkerchief was still in place, she studied Oru curiously, asking, “What’s this druid ceremony you mentioned earlier?” As an afterthought, she added, “If you can tell me about it, that is.”

She’d heard it mentioned that different species could be very particular about their customs and rituals, and it was always better to be safe than sorry and remember to be polite when asking.
Sparrow was about to disagree with Oru’s opinion of the caravan when the elf seemed to discover he could breathe again; she watched as he fingers his bandages and noticed that the blood seemed to be old and stale.

What? she thought, frowning slightly. I could have sworn…?

Maybe she’d just thought she’d seen fresh blood. No—no, she’d seen fresh blood, she knew it—he’d left spots of it on the floor, for heaven’s sake. Yes, there was a smudge of it right next to her boot.

She looked up at Oru in surprise, about to speak again and point out what seemed to her a very strange occurrence indeed; but he cut her off again, asking why she was there. At his following rhetoric question she frowned, tilting her head in concern.

What exactly had she gotten herself into? She thought Clover was simply a traveling performer of some sort, a little odd but friendly. When Oru had been raging earlier she assumed Clover had rescued him from some horrible fate and the elf was just bitter because he’d been humiliated. For all she knew he might just be speaking sarcastically, making up that nonsense about ‘some eventual performance plan’.

Or...was he?

I stopped him, actually,” Sparrow explained, slowly sitting on a nearby crate once she was sure Oru wasn’t going to fall out of the cot. “I was lost, I needed some help to get back to the city.”

Back to the city. Ugh, that tasted unpleasant on her tongue. It was the last thing she wanted to be saying. She’d much prefer to proclaim she was off on some grand adventure, about to come into a large wealth of money--then she could say she was headed ‘back to the city’, going to retrieve her little sister and take her somewhere fantastic, where Lark could sing and dance all she wanted, never having to stop so she could go wait on some noblewoman’s every beck and call.

Reaching absently to make sure her handkerchief was still in place, she studied Oru curiously, asking, “What’s this druid ceremony you mentioned earlier?” As an afterthought, she added, “If you can tell me about it, that is.”

She’d heard it mentioned that different species could be very particular about their customs and rituals, and it was always better to be safe than sorry and remember to be polite when asking.
"The druid ceremony? It's only the most important time of a forest elf's life." Oru sighed and leaned further back into the cot while his muscles rested. "When an elf comes to complete and total mental and bodily maturity at age eighteen, they are sent off to complete a set of trials to prove themselves worthy of a title in their home family, tribe, whatever that group of elves has. After all, forest elves are defenders of these woods, they have to be qualified for it, since there going to be doing that same job for the rest of their multiple-century long life." He began to count very distinctly on his fingers. "There's the trial of navigation, trial of knowledge, healing, and defense.

"The trial of navigation is fairly easy, every elf here has been living in the woods all their life. You're sent into a random point in the densest part of the forests, blindfolded, and when you can see again, you're left on your own to survive and make your way back home.

"Knowledge, you've just got to identify, observe, and record thirty different species of plant or animal in the forest within three days. Also pretty easy, in my opinion, if you know what you're doing.

"Healing is bringing some living thing, sometimes even members of your family, back to full health that was previously extremely ill.

"Defense is the hardest one. You have to go out and find some threat to the woods all on your own and get rid of it, no questions asked, and you can't back out. Often, the first thing you stumble on is fine, even child's play to take care of. A dire wolf, a few snakes, a loose goblin. I happened to stumble upon a gnoll warband."

Oru rolled over onto his side to face Sparrow. He stretched out his arms as far as they would go, mocking a large beast. "Huge, monstrous, vile creatures. Imagine an orc, but a lot more hairy, a lot less reasonable, able to withstand a whole lot more damage, and don't forget their insatiable and never-ending hunger for humanoid flesh. They travel in enormous groups, weapons, rabid hyenas, shaman leaders, all dead set on whatever target that comes first. That would be me.

"I'm not worried about dying. That doesn't really happen unless something really terrible went after us. Y'know, the astronomically fast healing thing? Other humanoids are so fragile, its why we survive so much longer than even others with an extended lifespan. The problem is that I failed the trial, because something interfered, and the gnolls haven't left the forest. Which means I'm not considered a proper elf. Which means I can't ever go back there, and I'll never be blessed with real elven magic. Which means I'm going to be an outcast in an unfamiliar world when I'm taken to the city, but I've got nowhere else to go. Which means- wait, the gnolls haven't left the forest."

Oru gasped once more and stumbled off the cot. He had difficulty walking, but he wasn't actively tumbling over into a pool of his own blood. That fast healing must have been something. "Hey, umm, ha, can you fight? Do you have magic? Anything?" He limped to the door, leaned against it, and peered out the roll-up cloth window. "I think we're being followed."
"The druid ceremony? It's only the most important time of a forest elf's life." Oru sighed and leaned further back into the cot while his muscles rested. "When an elf comes to complete and total mental and bodily maturity at age eighteen, they are sent off to complete a set of trials to prove themselves worthy of a title in their home family, tribe, whatever that group of elves has. After all, forest elves are defenders of these woods, they have to be qualified for it, since there going to be doing that same job for the rest of their multiple-century long life." He began to count very distinctly on his fingers. "There's the trial of navigation, trial of knowledge, healing, and defense.

"The trial of navigation is fairly easy, every elf here has been living in the woods all their life. You're sent into a random point in the densest part of the forests, blindfolded, and when you can see again, you're left on your own to survive and make your way back home.

"Knowledge, you've just got to identify, observe, and record thirty different species of plant or animal in the forest within three days. Also pretty easy, in my opinion, if you know what you're doing.

"Healing is bringing some living thing, sometimes even members of your family, back to full health that was previously extremely ill.

"Defense is the hardest one. You have to go out and find some threat to the woods all on your own and get rid of it, no questions asked, and you can't back out. Often, the first thing you stumble on is fine, even child's play to take care of. A dire wolf, a few snakes, a loose goblin. I happened to stumble upon a gnoll warband."

Oru rolled over onto his side to face Sparrow. He stretched out his arms as far as they would go, mocking a large beast. "Huge, monstrous, vile creatures. Imagine an orc, but a lot more hairy, a lot less reasonable, able to withstand a whole lot more damage, and don't forget their insatiable and never-ending hunger for humanoid flesh. They travel in enormous groups, weapons, rabid hyenas, shaman leaders, all dead set on whatever target that comes first. That would be me.

"I'm not worried about dying. That doesn't really happen unless something really terrible went after us. Y'know, the astronomically fast healing thing? Other humanoids are so fragile, its why we survive so much longer than even others with an extended lifespan. The problem is that I failed the trial, because something interfered, and the gnolls haven't left the forest. Which means I'm not considered a proper elf. Which means I can't ever go back there, and I'll never be blessed with real elven magic. Which means I'm going to be an outcast in an unfamiliar world when I'm taken to the city, but I've got nowhere else to go. Which means- wait, the gnolls haven't left the forest."

Oru gasped once more and stumbled off the cot. He had difficulty walking, but he wasn't actively tumbling over into a pool of his own blood. That fast healing must have been something. "Hey, umm, ha, can you fight? Do you have magic? Anything?" He limped to the door, leaned against it, and peered out the roll-up cloth window. "I think we're being followed."

xPWYW Dergs
xMeowdy-do
Nochnyr
Sparrow listened in fascination to Oru’s description of wood elf customs. It sounded preposterous to have to do all that just to prove yourself a “proper elf”...but, then again, everything he listed had practical implications.

When he started to list the beasts and monsters roaming the woods, she felt her eyebrows rise in subtle wonder. By the King’s name, how am I not dead? she thought, incredulous that she’d survived a whole two days in these woods without being torn apart by any one of the number of fearsome creatures Oru had listed. She was glad now she and Lark had decided that Sparrow would go on by herself first and return for her little sister later—who knew what might’ve happened to the girl if Sparrow had dragged her out there into those deadly trees? She shuddered at the thought.

Oru rolled over to face her, gesturing as he described gnolls. They sounded almost comical, but that was probably just because Sparrow had never seen an orc in the flesh and had no idea of how truly dangerous they were. The vilest creature she’d ever seen—besides the occasional drunken dwarf, swearing their bearded head off as they stumbled down the street—was a dog Graeyorn had tampered with in his magical experiments. The hound had grown an extra leg from a spot just below its ribs, and begun to lose hair due to disgusting, bile-filled welps and sores. An unneeded surplus of canine teeth had sprouted from the dog’s gums until it couldn’t shut its mouth fully for all the teeth taking up space… Not to mention the hound was gradually growing in size every day it was kept locked up in the cellar to be observed. Thank goodness Graeyorn had finally disposed of it, or else there might have been a giant, grotesque canine beast out in the woods for Oru to fight off as well as any gnolls.

Sparrow was jolted from her reminiscing when the elf suddenly stood, gasping something about the gnolls still being in the forest. With a frown she stood, following him over to the door to peek out the window as well.

“Um—well, I—I can fight a little?” It sounded more like a question than a statement, and Sparrow hurried to add, “That is, I’ve been in a few alley fights, but I don’t know if I’ve ever been up against a gnoll before.”

Lie! her conscience sang. You’ve been in one alley fight, and it wasn’t really an alley fight so much as it was punching a beggar old enough to be your grandfather then running before he could grab your satchel again.

Sparrow pursed her lips determinedly, scanning the forest outside the window as it rolled slowly past. Whatever the case, she knew how to punch well enough, and if she was given something to swing with she could hit hard whatever she was swinging at.

“Are you so sure we’re being followed?” she asked, seriously considering calling for Clover now as she suggesed hopefully, “Maybe the gnolls ate something else when they couldn’t eat you and they’re just sitting back enjoying their supper now?”

She hated to think what might happen if a pack like the creatures Oru described caught up to the caravan. A tribe of gnolls aginst an overly-cheerful tabaxi, a worn-out runaway, an elf that had already been beaten by them once, and a fat little mule hardly seemed a fair fight.
Sparrow listened in fascination to Oru’s description of wood elf customs. It sounded preposterous to have to do all that just to prove yourself a “proper elf”...but, then again, everything he listed had practical implications.

When he started to list the beasts and monsters roaming the woods, she felt her eyebrows rise in subtle wonder. By the King’s name, how am I not dead? she thought, incredulous that she’d survived a whole two days in these woods without being torn apart by any one of the number of fearsome creatures Oru had listed. She was glad now she and Lark had decided that Sparrow would go on by herself first and return for her little sister later—who knew what might’ve happened to the girl if Sparrow had dragged her out there into those deadly trees? She shuddered at the thought.

Oru rolled over to face her, gesturing as he described gnolls. They sounded almost comical, but that was probably just because Sparrow had never seen an orc in the flesh and had no idea of how truly dangerous they were. The vilest creature she’d ever seen—besides the occasional drunken dwarf, swearing their bearded head off as they stumbled down the street—was a dog Graeyorn had tampered with in his magical experiments. The hound had grown an extra leg from a spot just below its ribs, and begun to lose hair due to disgusting, bile-filled welps and sores. An unneeded surplus of canine teeth had sprouted from the dog’s gums until it couldn’t shut its mouth fully for all the teeth taking up space… Not to mention the hound was gradually growing in size every day it was kept locked up in the cellar to be observed. Thank goodness Graeyorn had finally disposed of it, or else there might have been a giant, grotesque canine beast out in the woods for Oru to fight off as well as any gnolls.

Sparrow was jolted from her reminiscing when the elf suddenly stood, gasping something about the gnolls still being in the forest. With a frown she stood, following him over to the door to peek out the window as well.

“Um—well, I—I can fight a little?” It sounded more like a question than a statement, and Sparrow hurried to add, “That is, I’ve been in a few alley fights, but I don’t know if I’ve ever been up against a gnoll before.”

Lie! her conscience sang. You’ve been in one alley fight, and it wasn’t really an alley fight so much as it was punching a beggar old enough to be your grandfather then running before he could grab your satchel again.

Sparrow pursed her lips determinedly, scanning the forest outside the window as it rolled slowly past. Whatever the case, she knew how to punch well enough, and if she was given something to swing with she could hit hard whatever she was swinging at.

“Are you so sure we’re being followed?” she asked, seriously considering calling for Clover now as she suggesed hopefully, “Maybe the gnolls ate something else when they couldn’t eat you and they’re just sitting back enjoying their supper now?”

She hated to think what might happen if a pack like the creatures Oru described caught up to the caravan. A tribe of gnolls aginst an overly-cheerful tabaxi, a worn-out runaway, an elf that had already been beaten by them once, and a fat little mule hardly seemed a fair fight.
The moment she finished her sentence, at almost comical timing, Clover appeared in front of the window with his claws digging into the neck of a strange hyena-like bipedal beast, mace in one gripped palm and a large cutlass in the other. The creature had an outstretched maw foaming at the edges and abnormally shaped sharp-tipped teeth, trying desperately to bite at Clover. The tabaxi kept it at arm's length for as long as possible, his tail flicking nervously as he attempted to muster the strength to throw the hyaenidae into the ground, or at the least do more damage than having a hold of it. It was no doubt that they had been chasing Oru, as they closed in and pinpointed anyone or anything around the feline's gaudy caravan. Clover's slender stick of a body certainly wasn't fatty enough to be any sort of snack for them, they had a reason for coming here.

"Gnolls." Oru took a heavy, panicked breath and fell back against the door. "What are we supposed to do? They're going to be angrier now that they're already coming after me! They've got the scent of a hundred hounds, I know it. Is there anything sharp in here? I haven't got enough strength right now to fight them bare-handed again." At once, it became clear that he could only hold one off. As soon as he ripped his claws through the first and tossed him to the side, reared up like a lion, he was attacked by another slightly larger gnoll and was promptly caught in a wrestle. Simultaneously, an enormous sharpened branch came ripping through the light wooden walls of the caravan.

"A little help!" Clover hissed violently from outside. The bright and impressive spectacle he had begun to put on earlier was completely demolished, his endlessly joyous attitude ruined by a rather pathetic struggle in strength. Bumblebee was hardly surviving in the midst, rearing up and kicking, but randomly and without success. The wagon wobbled as claws began to dig into its surface from the outside.

The head of one of the creatures suddenly tore through the window of the caravan door with its jaws snapping and reaching towards the face of Oru. He stumbled back, panting, and quickly began to tear apart the cart for something of use. Gnolls, from this perspective, definitely looked like Graeyorn's monstrously mutated canine. But these creatures were in pursuit.
The moment she finished her sentence, at almost comical timing, Clover appeared in front of the window with his claws digging into the neck of a strange hyena-like bipedal beast, mace in one gripped palm and a large cutlass in the other. The creature had an outstretched maw foaming at the edges and abnormally shaped sharp-tipped teeth, trying desperately to bite at Clover. The tabaxi kept it at arm's length for as long as possible, his tail flicking nervously as he attempted to muster the strength to throw the hyaenidae into the ground, or at the least do more damage than having a hold of it. It was no doubt that they had been chasing Oru, as they closed in and pinpointed anyone or anything around the feline's gaudy caravan. Clover's slender stick of a body certainly wasn't fatty enough to be any sort of snack for them, they had a reason for coming here.

"Gnolls." Oru took a heavy, panicked breath and fell back against the door. "What are we supposed to do? They're going to be angrier now that they're already coming after me! They've got the scent of a hundred hounds, I know it. Is there anything sharp in here? I haven't got enough strength right now to fight them bare-handed again." At once, it became clear that he could only hold one off. As soon as he ripped his claws through the first and tossed him to the side, reared up like a lion, he was attacked by another slightly larger gnoll and was promptly caught in a wrestle. Simultaneously, an enormous sharpened branch came ripping through the light wooden walls of the caravan.

"A little help!" Clover hissed violently from outside. The bright and impressive spectacle he had begun to put on earlier was completely demolished, his endlessly joyous attitude ruined by a rather pathetic struggle in strength. Bumblebee was hardly surviving in the midst, rearing up and kicking, but randomly and without success. The wagon wobbled as claws began to dig into its surface from the outside.

The head of one of the creatures suddenly tore through the window of the caravan door with its jaws snapping and reaching towards the face of Oru. He stumbled back, panting, and quickly began to tear apart the cart for something of use. Gnolls, from this perspective, definitely looked like Graeyorn's monstrously mutated canine. But these creatures were in pursuit.

xPWYW Dergs
xMeowdy-do
Nochnyr
“Clover!” Sparrow gasped in surprise when the tabaxi came into view, battling a canine-like beast. It was strange to see Clover in such a scenario, the complete opposite of how he’d been when she first ran into him. It was at least nice to know he could fight and his skills weren’t limited to that of a simple performer.

Oru stumbled back, asking about something sharp, anything—Sparrow tore her eyes away from the window, now aware of all the shrieks and hollers outside as she looked for any item that might be used as a weapon. Before she could really even begin to look, there was a horrendous splintering of wood, and something like a sharpened branch came bursting through the side of the wagon.

Sparrow gave a sharp intake of breath, jumping out of the way as Clover hissed for help. Her eyes landed on some sort of instrument, a lyre or long-necked harp of some kind; without thinking she grabbed it from where it hung on the wall, turning and swinging the larger end with all her might.

There was another tremendous splintering sound, but this time it was the body of the instrument smashed to bits by the impact of striking the gnoll’s head. With a screech the creature pulled back and Sparrow dropped the useless lyre, apologizing mentally for the destruction. Surely it had played many a fine tune in its day—at least it had met an exciting end.

Something rocked the caravan, sending Sparrow stumbling to the side; catching herself against one of the chests, she pushed herself up and caught sight of another chest, small and filled with a few empty, glass viles and some bags of colored sand.

A bulbous eye appeared in the whole left by the sharpened stake, peering around at the inside of the caravan. Grabbing one of the sand-filled bags Sparrow loosed the string holding the top together and lobbed it at the gnoll’s exposed face. The creature outside shrieked and recoiled as the sand—blue in color—burst across his visage with a nice sparkle. She had no idea what the stuff was, but hopefully it did some damage.

The caravan lurched again and Sparrow launched herself at the hole where the window had been, shouting as she tried to look out, “How many of these things are there?!”

If it was any more than five, from her point of view, they were most certainly doomed.
“Clover!” Sparrow gasped in surprise when the tabaxi came into view, battling a canine-like beast. It was strange to see Clover in such a scenario, the complete opposite of how he’d been when she first ran into him. It was at least nice to know he could fight and his skills weren’t limited to that of a simple performer.

Oru stumbled back, asking about something sharp, anything—Sparrow tore her eyes away from the window, now aware of all the shrieks and hollers outside as she looked for any item that might be used as a weapon. Before she could really even begin to look, there was a horrendous splintering of wood, and something like a sharpened branch came bursting through the side of the wagon.

Sparrow gave a sharp intake of breath, jumping out of the way as Clover hissed for help. Her eyes landed on some sort of instrument, a lyre or long-necked harp of some kind; without thinking she grabbed it from where it hung on the wall, turning and swinging the larger end with all her might.

There was another tremendous splintering sound, but this time it was the body of the instrument smashed to bits by the impact of striking the gnoll’s head. With a screech the creature pulled back and Sparrow dropped the useless lyre, apologizing mentally for the destruction. Surely it had played many a fine tune in its day—at least it had met an exciting end.

Something rocked the caravan, sending Sparrow stumbling to the side; catching herself against one of the chests, she pushed herself up and caught sight of another chest, small and filled with a few empty, glass viles and some bags of colored sand.

A bulbous eye appeared in the whole left by the sharpened stake, peering around at the inside of the caravan. Grabbing one of the sand-filled bags Sparrow loosed the string holding the top together and lobbed it at the gnoll’s exposed face. The creature outside shrieked and recoiled as the sand—blue in color—burst across his visage with a nice sparkle. She had no idea what the stuff was, but hopefully it did some damage.

The caravan lurched again and Sparrow launched herself at the hole where the window had been, shouting as she tried to look out, “How many of these things are there?!”

If it was any more than five, from her point of view, they were most certainly doomed.
Despite limps, struggles, and the rocking of their ride, Oru was already swinging with impeccable aim. If not anything else, he had perfect depth perception. The elf had taken up one of the broken boards from the wall of the caravan itself, hitting a few of the invading gnolls, and stabbing another to the best of his ability. The broken wood was enough to stab through one of the beast's eyes, sending it screeching back and becoming preoccupied with a face full of splinters.

As well as fighting back rather well, Oru began to look as though he was going to have a panic attack. His heart pumped faster with every hit, and the more claws that tore the hooded wagon apart around them, the more the elf looked as though he was about to crumble. It wasn't until Clover got rather easily knocked down by an oncoming half-blinded, raging gnoll that Oru really fell apart. His back hit the still intact wall and he was huffing, panting, scrambling desperately to avoid being completely demolished.

It was much easier to see the outside now that so much had fallen apart. There were indeed a large warband of seven gnolls, but fortunately - well, as fortunate as one could get in a situation such as this - they didn't have any of the other creatures such as feral hyenas or the magic bunch of these beasts with them. Two had begun to lurch away, from a combination of wood stabbing, lute smacking, and dust throwing, not including the ones attacking Clover and still rocking the caravan.

It was too much easier to see Clover's pitiful defeat. Hissing and scratching beneath his attacker, his head getting knocked into the dirt time and again. It looked as though he finally went limp after a good bit of fruitless struggle. The feline's arm, however, was moving independently, slowly reaching towards his lute that had been knocked off and for the most part unscathed during the fight.

"What is he doing!" Oru groaned in the middle of the disaster and chaos, still making an attempt to keep himself together. "This isn't the time for a song!"

Then, two of the strings strummed at Clover's claw tips, and with one, two, three deep breaths, he recited the last line of 'The Dragon's Village', a folk tale with a sea-shanty tone that was most familiar to families of poverty and humble origins. Though his words were muffled in the raging maelstrom, those who knew the song by hard could have recognized the mumbles as 'And gone was the foul beast, by Gods!'. Strangely enough, a sudden burst akin to that of a firework rocket shot up from the lute, and came down with a mighty blast of energy at the pack of gnolls. Clover shielded his eyes as the radiant ball of color exploded knocked back some of the attackers, while fatally injuring others. It didn't get rid of the entire band by far, but only two remained, completely forgetting about Oru and the caravan and now focused on the tabaxi attempting to flee from his spot in the ground.

This cat was worth something, as his fighting skills were rather lackluster compared to what Oru and Sparrow had already managed together. He possessed a rare kind of bardic magic most cityfolk jokingly called Fool's Japes.
Despite limps, struggles, and the rocking of their ride, Oru was already swinging with impeccable aim. If not anything else, he had perfect depth perception. The elf had taken up one of the broken boards from the wall of the caravan itself, hitting a few of the invading gnolls, and stabbing another to the best of his ability. The broken wood was enough to stab through one of the beast's eyes, sending it screeching back and becoming preoccupied with a face full of splinters.

As well as fighting back rather well, Oru began to look as though he was going to have a panic attack. His heart pumped faster with every hit, and the more claws that tore the hooded wagon apart around them, the more the elf looked as though he was about to crumble. It wasn't until Clover got rather easily knocked down by an oncoming half-blinded, raging gnoll that Oru really fell apart. His back hit the still intact wall and he was huffing, panting, scrambling desperately to avoid being completely demolished.

It was much easier to see the outside now that so much had fallen apart. There were indeed a large warband of seven gnolls, but fortunately - well, as fortunate as one could get in a situation such as this - they didn't have any of the other creatures such as feral hyenas or the magic bunch of these beasts with them. Two had begun to lurch away, from a combination of wood stabbing, lute smacking, and dust throwing, not including the ones attacking Clover and still rocking the caravan.

It was too much easier to see Clover's pitiful defeat. Hissing and scratching beneath his attacker, his head getting knocked into the dirt time and again. It looked as though he finally went limp after a good bit of fruitless struggle. The feline's arm, however, was moving independently, slowly reaching towards his lute that had been knocked off and for the most part unscathed during the fight.

"What is he doing!" Oru groaned in the middle of the disaster and chaos, still making an attempt to keep himself together. "This isn't the time for a song!"

Then, two of the strings strummed at Clover's claw tips, and with one, two, three deep breaths, he recited the last line of 'The Dragon's Village', a folk tale with a sea-shanty tone that was most familiar to families of poverty and humble origins. Though his words were muffled in the raging maelstrom, those who knew the song by hard could have recognized the mumbles as 'And gone was the foul beast, by Gods!'. Strangely enough, a sudden burst akin to that of a firework rocket shot up from the lute, and came down with a mighty blast of energy at the pack of gnolls. Clover shielded his eyes as the radiant ball of color exploded knocked back some of the attackers, while fatally injuring others. It didn't get rid of the entire band by far, but only two remained, completely forgetting about Oru and the caravan and now focused on the tabaxi attempting to flee from his spot in the ground.

This cat was worth something, as his fighting skills were rather lackluster compared to what Oru and Sparrow had already managed together. He possessed a rare kind of bardic magic most cityfolk jokingly called Fool's Japes.

xPWYW Dergs
xMeowdy-do
Nochnyr
Another bag of colored dust in one hand and the neck of the demolished instrument clutched like a club in the other, Sparrow did her best to keep fighting back anything that so much as growled in her direction. It was growing evident though that her sleep and food deprivation of the last two days was starting to wear on her; though she kept a bold face, her swings were growing steadily weaker and her aim was becoming less accurate.

An especially rough lurch of the caravan sent her tumbling with a small shout of surprise, and, with a painful thud, she found herself thrown to the floor next to one of the openings in the wagon’s walls. Near immediately a great, meaty paw reached through the hole, swiping down at her face.

“Gah—!” She let out a yelp, trying to duck out of the way, but the gnoll’s fingers caught hold of her handkerchief. With a yank the bandanna had come loose and Sparrow’s white hair fell into her face as she threw the bag of dust at the creature’s face. Reaching for the handkerchief she managed to catch hold of it, pulling it free of the gnoll’s grasp and scrambling away from the hole frantically.

Oru seemed to be losing his grip and she made sure not too get to close for him for fear he might lash out at her mistakenly, so desperate his movements seemed.

The elf’s sudden exclamation pulled her attention from the gnoll she was attempting to fend off, its hairy forearm groping through one of the gaps in the wagon’s walls; twisting around, she could see through the other side of the caravan to the woods outside, where Clover appeared to have been pinned down, beaten roughly against the ground.

She flinched at every strike the tabaxi endured, understanding Oru’s confusion when Clover reached for his lute. Was he going to play some sort of farewell song, a mournful goodbye to the world in his last moments of life? Poetic, but not exactly practical. Sparrow herself would have preferred to die fighting rather than singing.

Whatever doubts she’d had about Clover’s choice of action quickly vanished though, when as he appeared to sing something she couldn’t quite hear, an explosion of light and color momentarily blinded her. She squinted against the sudden brilliance, thinking she must have been mistaken. Because, odd as the idea was, she thought she’d seen the burst of light rise from the tabaxi’s instrument.

As the firework-like display faded, Sparrow opened her eyes again to see only two of the gnolls still seemed in a fighting mood. They ceased rocking the caravan, making a beeline for Clover as the tabaxi tried to scramble up from the ground where he’d previously been pinned.

In a rush of adrenaline and without a proper thinking-through of her actions, Sparrow launched herself at the biggest hole in the caravan’s side, hair falling into her face as she shouted, desperately trying to distract the gnolls and give Clover a few more seconds. “Hey! You big, ugly, disgraceful insults to the face of the earth! Get back over here and fight me like men!”
Another bag of colored dust in one hand and the neck of the demolished instrument clutched like a club in the other, Sparrow did her best to keep fighting back anything that so much as growled in her direction. It was growing evident though that her sleep and food deprivation of the last two days was starting to wear on her; though she kept a bold face, her swings were growing steadily weaker and her aim was becoming less accurate.

An especially rough lurch of the caravan sent her tumbling with a small shout of surprise, and, with a painful thud, she found herself thrown to the floor next to one of the openings in the wagon’s walls. Near immediately a great, meaty paw reached through the hole, swiping down at her face.

“Gah—!” She let out a yelp, trying to duck out of the way, but the gnoll’s fingers caught hold of her handkerchief. With a yank the bandanna had come loose and Sparrow’s white hair fell into her face as she threw the bag of dust at the creature’s face. Reaching for the handkerchief she managed to catch hold of it, pulling it free of the gnoll’s grasp and scrambling away from the hole frantically.

Oru seemed to be losing his grip and she made sure not too get to close for him for fear he might lash out at her mistakenly, so desperate his movements seemed.

The elf’s sudden exclamation pulled her attention from the gnoll she was attempting to fend off, its hairy forearm groping through one of the gaps in the wagon’s walls; twisting around, she could see through the other side of the caravan to the woods outside, where Clover appeared to have been pinned down, beaten roughly against the ground.

She flinched at every strike the tabaxi endured, understanding Oru’s confusion when Clover reached for his lute. Was he going to play some sort of farewell song, a mournful goodbye to the world in his last moments of life? Poetic, but not exactly practical. Sparrow herself would have preferred to die fighting rather than singing.

Whatever doubts she’d had about Clover’s choice of action quickly vanished though, when as he appeared to sing something she couldn’t quite hear, an explosion of light and color momentarily blinded her. She squinted against the sudden brilliance, thinking she must have been mistaken. Because, odd as the idea was, she thought she’d seen the burst of light rise from the tabaxi’s instrument.

As the firework-like display faded, Sparrow opened her eyes again to see only two of the gnolls still seemed in a fighting mood. They ceased rocking the caravan, making a beeline for Clover as the tabaxi tried to scramble up from the ground where he’d previously been pinned.

In a rush of adrenaline and without a proper thinking-through of her actions, Sparrow launched herself at the biggest hole in the caravan’s side, hair falling into her face as she shouted, desperately trying to distract the gnolls and give Clover a few more seconds. “Hey! You big, ugly, disgraceful insults to the face of the earth! Get back over here and fight me like men!”
Clover's eyes scanned over Sparrow throughout the fight, drawing up bags of sand and swinging around one of his backup instruments that had been destroyed into shambles and splinters, and especially as she abandoned the caravan to challenge the remaining duo of gnolls independently. He would have agreed that it wasn't the smartest idea, but teaming up on them was better than nothing.

The tabaxi finally managed to scramble to his feet, regain stability, and grasp his lute firmly in his palms with a dedication never to drop his prized instrument again, especially in a fight. One gnoll picked up on Sparrow's voice and decided to attack her instead in a spur of the moment. Quickly, it advanced upon its new prey, saliva gathering in its mouth and dripping out the sides in its ever-growing hunger.

The other went after Clover, this one with a ferocious burning torch in hand that it waved around proudly above Clover's head while lunging. He, once more, tried to keep his distance from the gnoll. He took advantage of his lute the best he could, strumming gently and insulting the gnoll in an upbeat poetic fashion, each word weaving in small magical charms and hexes. Each time the gnoll was hit by another enchantment, it wavered more and seemed to grow weaker, but nothing of spectacular power as Clover had performed before.

In the midst of the battle between one of the last beasts and Sparrow accompanied by her makeshift weaponry, Oru suddenly appeared from the wreckage of the caravan. The barefooted and nimble elf came running with anything but grace in his step, and swung another fresh wooden board straight for the gnoll. In a fiery rage, he used the wood to yank away the hyena-like monster from Sparrow's grasp and stab the stake of a board into his chest. There was one thing for sure; elves were never that utterly violent.

The final gnoll. Luckily, Clover had weakened it enough to send it writhing into the ground in utter pain from whatever magic he had bound the vile creature to. The feline's crude utterances slowly began to cease, but as they did and the gnoll lost all strength in its limbs, the lit torch went rolling out of its limp grubby fingers and straight into what remained of a half-fixable wagon.

The blaze immediately caught hold of the wood. It scorched Bumblebee's ropes just long enough for the mule to pull free without being lost to the fire, but the same couldn't be said for the rest of the ride.

Mighty embers began to flicker from its purple glittered surface, and a cloud of smoke gathered above the impressive roaring fire that consumed every inch of the caravan, and everything contained in it. It was a blessing that the gnolls had caught them in something of a clearing, or all the trees would have gone down too.

Clover chuckled nervously as he stumbled towards the blaze. It turned into a soft, horrified laugh, as he fell onto his knees in front of the burning heap of the few possessions he had. "Well, haha!" He mused in a slow, melancholy fashion. "That'll be it! That's all! All of it! Ha... What a funny coincidence, just as I gain passengers? What a great omen for the road ahead."
Clover's eyes scanned over Sparrow throughout the fight, drawing up bags of sand and swinging around one of his backup instruments that had been destroyed into shambles and splinters, and especially as she abandoned the caravan to challenge the remaining duo of gnolls independently. He would have agreed that it wasn't the smartest idea, but teaming up on them was better than nothing.

The tabaxi finally managed to scramble to his feet, regain stability, and grasp his lute firmly in his palms with a dedication never to drop his prized instrument again, especially in a fight. One gnoll picked up on Sparrow's voice and decided to attack her instead in a spur of the moment. Quickly, it advanced upon its new prey, saliva gathering in its mouth and dripping out the sides in its ever-growing hunger.

The other went after Clover, this one with a ferocious burning torch in hand that it waved around proudly above Clover's head while lunging. He, once more, tried to keep his distance from the gnoll. He took advantage of his lute the best he could, strumming gently and insulting the gnoll in an upbeat poetic fashion, each word weaving in small magical charms and hexes. Each time the gnoll was hit by another enchantment, it wavered more and seemed to grow weaker, but nothing of spectacular power as Clover had performed before.

In the midst of the battle between one of the last beasts and Sparrow accompanied by her makeshift weaponry, Oru suddenly appeared from the wreckage of the caravan. The barefooted and nimble elf came running with anything but grace in his step, and swung another fresh wooden board straight for the gnoll. In a fiery rage, he used the wood to yank away the hyena-like monster from Sparrow's grasp and stab the stake of a board into his chest. There was one thing for sure; elves were never that utterly violent.

The final gnoll. Luckily, Clover had weakened it enough to send it writhing into the ground in utter pain from whatever magic he had bound the vile creature to. The feline's crude utterances slowly began to cease, but as they did and the gnoll lost all strength in its limbs, the lit torch went rolling out of its limp grubby fingers and straight into what remained of a half-fixable wagon.

The blaze immediately caught hold of the wood. It scorched Bumblebee's ropes just long enough for the mule to pull free without being lost to the fire, but the same couldn't be said for the rest of the ride.

Mighty embers began to flicker from its purple glittered surface, and a cloud of smoke gathered above the impressive roaring fire that consumed every inch of the caravan, and everything contained in it. It was a blessing that the gnolls had caught them in something of a clearing, or all the trees would have gone down too.

Clover chuckled nervously as he stumbled towards the blaze. It turned into a soft, horrified laugh, as he fell onto his knees in front of the burning heap of the few possessions he had. "Well, haha!" He mused in a slow, melancholy fashion. "That'll be it! That's all! All of it! Ha... What a funny coincidence, just as I gain passengers? What a great omen for the road ahead."

xPWYW Dergs
xMeowdy-do
Nochnyr
Sparrow stumbled back as Oru came to the rescue, killing the gnoll with a fury. Thanking him faintly she found it hard not to stare at the horrendous creature as it took its last breath; she couldn't imagine what it had been like for the elf to face a pack of them all on his own.

She looked up as Clover, too, finished off the gnoll he’d been battling. From the glances she’d managed to snag between dodging her opponent's attacks, the tabaxi seemed to have been using his instrument and his voice to cast some sort of magic that slowly weakened the creature until it finally collapsed. Sparrow watched with a sinking feeling in her stomach as the torch the gnoll had been carrying fell from its hand, rolling right up to the caravan—which now had several new windows, to put it politely.

In a few moments, the entire wagon and all its contents were ablaze; Sparrow turned to make sure the mule was alright, but he’d already freed himself from his smoldering ropes.

Unsure what else to do, she turned back to her two companions. They were her companions now, weren’t they? After a fight like that, she felt they were more than just travelers met together by chance.

As Clover sank to his knees, letting out a somewhat manic-sounding laugh, Sparrow moved slowly over, standing nearby and watching the wagon and its contents go up in smoke. All those wonderfully curious things, gone. She felt a twinge of sympathy, hesitating a moment before reaching over to pat the tabaxi’s shoulder kindly.

“I’m sorry,” she said, though she knew it didn’t do much good. “I really am.”

Withdrawing her hand, she used it to brush back her tousled hair, flinching slightly and realizing her knuckles and palm were scraped up nicely. She wouldn’t be surprised if she had a few splinters as well. But, unless Clover’s music had the magical ability to heal, she supposed she’d just have to deal with the stinging.
Sparrow stumbled back as Oru came to the rescue, killing the gnoll with a fury. Thanking him faintly she found it hard not to stare at the horrendous creature as it took its last breath; she couldn't imagine what it had been like for the elf to face a pack of them all on his own.

She looked up as Clover, too, finished off the gnoll he’d been battling. From the glances she’d managed to snag between dodging her opponent's attacks, the tabaxi seemed to have been using his instrument and his voice to cast some sort of magic that slowly weakened the creature until it finally collapsed. Sparrow watched with a sinking feeling in her stomach as the torch the gnoll had been carrying fell from its hand, rolling right up to the caravan—which now had several new windows, to put it politely.

In a few moments, the entire wagon and all its contents were ablaze; Sparrow turned to make sure the mule was alright, but he’d already freed himself from his smoldering ropes.

Unsure what else to do, she turned back to her two companions. They were her companions now, weren’t they? After a fight like that, she felt they were more than just travelers met together by chance.

As Clover sank to his knees, letting out a somewhat manic-sounding laugh, Sparrow moved slowly over, standing nearby and watching the wagon and its contents go up in smoke. All those wonderfully curious things, gone. She felt a twinge of sympathy, hesitating a moment before reaching over to pat the tabaxi’s shoulder kindly.

“I’m sorry,” she said, though she knew it didn’t do much good. “I really am.”

Withdrawing her hand, she used it to brush back her tousled hair, flinching slightly and realizing her knuckles and palm were scraped up nicely. She wouldn’t be surprised if she had a few splinters as well. But, unless Clover’s music had the magical ability to heal, she supposed she’d just have to deal with the stinging.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8