Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Interest Check: Dragon Forces
1 2 3 4 5
Suppose, that in an AU, flying machines that we know of and are used to today do not exist. Instead, in their places, are the majestic winged creatures known as dragons. This means that traveling long distances would be via dragonback, carrying loads would be by dragon, and, this is my plot point, armed forces would be dragon-based, especially the air force.

I would prefer to have something similar to the Temeraire universe, with the time period, technology, etc. Not necessarily the Napoleonic Wars, but the 1800s in general.

This idea has been running around for quite some time ever since I joined FR, but I have never been able to incorporate it into any reasonable plot. For this, I turn it to you all, what do you all think? Suggestions and comments are welcome :)

Pls ping me @ShadowChaser

~~~~~~~~~
Pinglist:
@/Roonicorn98
@/torterrta
@/Annekin
@/temerity
@/Amaranth41
Suppose, that in an AU, flying machines that we know of and are used to today do not exist. Instead, in their places, are the majestic winged creatures known as dragons. This means that traveling long distances would be via dragonback, carrying loads would be by dragon, and, this is my plot point, armed forces would be dragon-based, especially the air force.

I would prefer to have something similar to the Temeraire universe, with the time period, technology, etc. Not necessarily the Napoleonic Wars, but the 1800s in general.

This idea has been running around for quite some time ever since I joined FR, but I have never been able to incorporate it into any reasonable plot. For this, I turn it to you all, what do you all think? Suggestions and comments are welcome :)

Pls ping me @ShadowChaser

~~~~~~~~~
Pinglist:
@/Roonicorn98
@/torterrta
@/Annekin
@/temerity
@/Amaranth41
bigger__bbb_button____flight_rising_by_myth_o_logical-daes7nv.png Barracuda
Battle
Bank
{---
Coliseum
Help!
FR+3|He/Him
WAOKY1a.png
OL: 04:00~19:00
Clicky Clicky?
No Eggs ^w^
Angelfish
Apparel
Bank
---}
Come Outfit
Your Dragons!
SGaURj1.jpg
@ShadowChaser
I love the idea, and the Temeraire series. The easiest plot to create in this universe would be a war. As will we've using FR dragons? The breds in the novel series maybe hard to incorporate without read the books or doing research.
But I would love to join you when you start RP-ing. :)
@ShadowChaser
I love the idea, and the Temeraire series. The easiest plot to create in this universe would be a war. As will we've using FR dragons? The breds in the novel series maybe hard to incorporate without read the books or doing research.
But I would love to join you when you start RP-ing. :)
tumblr_ovj0xt1gqD1ufp325o1_540.png
@ShadowChaser

I love the concept! Another plot could be the government of one of the countries has taken way to much power and control, leaving the people defenceless. Many people can not afford the luxury of a dragon, none the less food and a decent house. This could lead to a huge underground market and many people talking about stealing more dragons and overcome from the government's grasp.
@ShadowChaser

I love the concept! Another plot could be the government of one of the countries has taken way to much power and control, leaving the people defenceless. Many people can not afford the luxury of a dragon, none the less food and a decent house. This could lead to a huge underground market and many people talking about stealing more dragons and overcome from the government's grasp.
image.png
@Roonicorn98
I agree that we should use FR dragons and substituting them into the positions of the Temeraire universe, that would be interesting, for sure.

@justalittleworld
Oooh...me likey XD That plot sounds great! We could have the people host an uprising and break out a war, even.

@torterrta
Hmm, on second thought, maybe you're right. However, having no technology may not be the best idea. Even Temeraire took place in the 1800s, but I do agree on your thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I also like how our avatars are all SDs
@Roonicorn98
I agree that we should use FR dragons and substituting them into the positions of the Temeraire universe, that would be interesting, for sure.

@justalittleworld
Oooh...me likey XD That plot sounds great! We could have the people host an uprising and break out a war, even.

@torterrta
Hmm, on second thought, maybe you're right. However, having no technology may not be the best idea. Even Temeraire took place in the 1800s, but I do agree on your thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I also like how our avatars are all SDs
Battle
Bank
{---
Coliseum
Help!
FR+3|He/Him
WAOKY1a.png
Clicky Clicky?
No Eggs ^w^
Angelfish
Apparel
Bank
---}
Come Outfit
Your Dragons!
SGaURj1.jpg
@ShadowChaser Take my money! I'm so down with this
@ShadowChaser Take my money! I'm so down with this
@Annekin
Should I add you to da pinglist?
@Annekin
Should I add you to da pinglist?
Battle
Bank
{---
Coliseum
Help!
FR+3|He/Him
WAOKY1a.png
Clicky Clicky?
No Eggs ^w^
Angelfish
Apparel
Bank
---}
Come Outfit
Your Dragons!
SGaURj1.jpg
@ShadowChaser
Also regarding plot, I think that it should revolve around more than just a mere war. Because we have heard that a thousand times before - And this has much more potential!
So I'll just lead you on with some of my thoughts. Also, we can of course scrap it all, I'm just rambling!

I'm super fond of @justalittleworld's idea with an upcoming uproar from the lower hierarchy in society. Another twist could be that the reason why countries are running low on supplies is because not only is their current leader power-hungry, but he spends all their income on the war which he leads (simply obsessed with fighting.. Where have I heard that story before, mh?)

But otherwise:
Perhaps the world could be separated in two social groups: both have dragons.
But the "wealthy" group serves the leader in some way: They can be counts of small areas and are the ones who rules over the "second group".
The main difference between the "groups" is that the wealthy one has technology. Everything from being able to light their houses, to machines which they accompany their dragons with or maybe even armor.
The second group are mostly involved with agriculture and are the ones who produces not only food, but also all kind of other materials needed: They sew clothes and makes trinkets. Their dragons are far smaller (compare for example a coatl/wildclaw with an imperial) and used to ease (and boost..) their daily courses. Much like how we used horses and dogs back in the day.

And now I will take it to a different turn!
Back in the days (many years ago) the first to tame the dragons made an blood oath with them. It was a promise from the dragons that they wouldn't dare to kill their own kin, and from the humans that they were willingly to give up their prides as pureblooded. (which perhaps was very valued back in the day, lol)
Years later, after the "first riders" other people started to tame the offspring of the dragons who had previously been ridden. Because they were born into the human society, there was no need for those human to share blood with them as they had never known of their own breeds norm and lives.

But of course, some of the first riders also got children. And because of the dragonblood in their veins, they had one outstanding ability: With their voice, they could control a dragon. And due to the dragons moral code, they wouldn't dare to kill a dragon-blooded human.

Those old tales and stories are long forgotten and only found in scripts and old scrolls. But the leader has found out about this, because he saw how the legends were speaking true first-hand:
A soldier of his (incredibly strong for a sprout his size) had been deemed traitor and were therefor to be executed by the fire of a dragon. But when he was to be killed, the dragon refused and almost turned on the audience which were watching.
He was killed by an arrow through the heart, and afterwards the dragon calmed back down.

The idea that there would be more children and people like the traitor made the Leader paranoid. He feared that they would end up in the wrong hands and put an end to his autocracy.
But he is not the only one who seeks the children
@ShadowChaser
Also regarding plot, I think that it should revolve around more than just a mere war. Because we have heard that a thousand times before - And this has much more potential!
So I'll just lead you on with some of my thoughts. Also, we can of course scrap it all, I'm just rambling!

I'm super fond of @justalittleworld's idea with an upcoming uproar from the lower hierarchy in society. Another twist could be that the reason why countries are running low on supplies is because not only is their current leader power-hungry, but he spends all their income on the war which he leads (simply obsessed with fighting.. Where have I heard that story before, mh?)

But otherwise:
Perhaps the world could be separated in two social groups: both have dragons.
But the "wealthy" group serves the leader in some way: They can be counts of small areas and are the ones who rules over the "second group".
The main difference between the "groups" is that the wealthy one has technology. Everything from being able to light their houses, to machines which they accompany their dragons with or maybe even armor.
The second group are mostly involved with agriculture and are the ones who produces not only food, but also all kind of other materials needed: They sew clothes and makes trinkets. Their dragons are far smaller (compare for example a coatl/wildclaw with an imperial) and used to ease (and boost..) their daily courses. Much like how we used horses and dogs back in the day.

And now I will take it to a different turn!
Back in the days (many years ago) the first to tame the dragons made an blood oath with them. It was a promise from the dragons that they wouldn't dare to kill their own kin, and from the humans that they were willingly to give up their prides as pureblooded. (which perhaps was very valued back in the day, lol)
Years later, after the "first riders" other people started to tame the offspring of the dragons who had previously been ridden. Because they were born into the human society, there was no need for those human to share blood with them as they had never known of their own breeds norm and lives.

But of course, some of the first riders also got children. And because of the dragonblood in their veins, they had one outstanding ability: With their voice, they could control a dragon. And due to the dragons moral code, they wouldn't dare to kill a dragon-blooded human.

Those old tales and stories are long forgotten and only found in scripts and old scrolls. But the leader has found out about this, because he saw how the legends were speaking true first-hand:
A soldier of his (incredibly strong for a sprout his size) had been deemed traitor and were therefor to be executed by the fire of a dragon. But when he was to be killed, the dragon refused and almost turned on the audience which were watching.
He was killed by an arrow through the heart, and afterwards the dragon calmed back down.

The idea that there would be more children and people like the traitor made the Leader paranoid. He feared that they would end up in the wrong hands and put an end to his autocracy.
But he is not the only one who seeks the children
@ShadowChaser yes please, captain obvious! ^w^
@ShadowChaser yes please, captain obvious! ^w^
@Shadowchaser: Oh man, I'd love to give this a shot if there's room! If we're doing an uprising and this is sort of Temeraire universe based then maybe the dragons are planning a social revolution of their own tired of being owned. Maybe the poor set out to steal a dragon and they're stunned to find that not only is the dragon/dragons they set out to steal intelligent, but is perfectly happy to sneak off with them (maybe even improve their revolution. The poor with no experience might be prejudiced and wary against these strange talking killerlizards).

Not sure about the dragonblood twist in this universe though it is a neat idea in pure fantasy (I always liked Temeraire for Laurence being human, pure and simple. There was nothing extraordinary in why he was chosen). Maybe if we do Annekins idea of different dragons for different classes coatl/wildclaw would be for the wealthy, tundra/mirror for the middle class to keep FR ideas (like a thoroughbred or Arabian horse compated to a drafthorse). Military could have the truly huge breeds as well as some specifically bred examples of the smaller ones (the ones they reject for too delicate build or mild temperament are gifted to or bought by the rich).

Do we run a flightbased system like FR except instead of magic just inherited abilities for different flights? Or do we make all coatls firebreathers, all skydancers/spirals excellent fliers, all tundras hardy to ice etc?

((I'm a bit busy this month but I check FR every day while commuting. If there's a minor roll I'll take it, maybe a sullen character who shrugs a lot and passively goes a long with most things. If I slow us down, kill/get rid of my character.))
@Shadowchaser: Oh man, I'd love to give this a shot if there's room! If we're doing an uprising and this is sort of Temeraire universe based then maybe the dragons are planning a social revolution of their own tired of being owned. Maybe the poor set out to steal a dragon and they're stunned to find that not only is the dragon/dragons they set out to steal intelligent, but is perfectly happy to sneak off with them (maybe even improve their revolution. The poor with no experience might be prejudiced and wary against these strange talking killerlizards).

Not sure about the dragonblood twist in this universe though it is a neat idea in pure fantasy (I always liked Temeraire for Laurence being human, pure and simple. There was nothing extraordinary in why he was chosen). Maybe if we do Annekins idea of different dragons for different classes coatl/wildclaw would be for the wealthy, tundra/mirror for the middle class to keep FR ideas (like a thoroughbred or Arabian horse compated to a drafthorse). Military could have the truly huge breeds as well as some specifically bred examples of the smaller ones (the ones they reject for too delicate build or mild temperament are gifted to or bought by the rich).

Do we run a flightbased system like FR except instead of magic just inherited abilities for different flights? Or do we make all coatls firebreathers, all skydancers/spirals excellent fliers, all tundras hardy to ice etc?

((I'm a bit busy this month but I check FR every day while commuting. If there's a minor roll I'll take it, maybe a sullen character who shrugs a lot and passively goes a long with most things. If I slow us down, kill/get rid of my character.))
CLCsigWT.png
... While I'm brainstorming silly things maybe everyone in our starter group (or those with poor characters) is a stranger to the others but all find themselves sentenced to be executed by dragon. An imperial/ridgeback snaps them up and is allowed to fly around at leisure in the countryside as a reward/to work off the meal/would you really say no to an executioner dragon? To their surprise they're not dead but were tucked in the dragon's cheek and then spat out somewhere to learn that the dragons are planning their own war/revolution and they're roping people into it by these means to operate guns/blend in (our group is the lucky first test drive to be rescued).

We don't have to have intelligent talking dragons if there are other plots in mind.
... While I'm brainstorming silly things maybe everyone in our starter group (or those with poor characters) is a stranger to the others but all find themselves sentenced to be executed by dragon. An imperial/ridgeback snaps them up and is allowed to fly around at leisure in the countryside as a reward/to work off the meal/would you really say no to an executioner dragon? To their surprise they're not dead but were tucked in the dragon's cheek and then spat out somewhere to learn that the dragons are planning their own war/revolution and they're roping people into it by these means to operate guns/blend in (our group is the lucky first test drive to be rescued).

We don't have to have intelligent talking dragons if there are other plots in mind.
CLCsigWT.png
1 2 3 4 5