Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | medieval / high [ FANTASY ] open!
1 2 3 4 5
hello~ haven't started an rp thread here before (or looked at any, tbh), so i'm not sure what the accepted norms are, but here we go:

- - - rules
- use common sense, please.
- clear your character with me first
- a quick summary of your character before intro-ing is fine, but i'd still like you to write them into the environment with an introduction or something so no one assumes things incorrectly
- if you want to include an image with your intro, please make sure you either drew it or have permission to use it :/ reposting / stealing art is a hella no-no
- interact by the end of your first post--saves us trouble of having a round where everyone fumbles to get together from their respective starting places
- if you're not sure if something passes or not, just ask and i'll let you know asap
- here is the ooc thread for extensive ooc discussion

- - - setting
Lornia is the biggest, most important port of Cabat, a country that thrives on and is fat off of trade. It is fortunately positioned on the coast to have fair weather year round, and relatively near to the capital city of Joran to ensure both economic and political power.

Being a tradeport, its not uncommon to see a large variety of different peoples representing different countries, but that is not to say its populace and its frequenters are not without their respective biases. Though the law prevents any physical altercations from happening (within the public eye), it does nothing to stop the damage from being done by merchants on their customers' wallets.

The national religion of Cabat frowns upon things like magic and non-human creatures (except for their deity, of course), but the true gods of Cabat are the golden crowns, the silver sovereigns, and the copper bits; if a little witchery under the table is to lead to a heavier purse, then who's to say the priesthood should be called?

It's not to say that Cabat is a corrupt cesspool of debauchery--it's only as corrupt as most other nations, which is to say, unsavory deals are kept under the table. The well-funded, well-trained guard still frowns upon public displays of non-humanness, and will attempt to evict or imprison (or put into a grave) any wrongdoers. There's always a guardsman within hailing distance, and most would-be thieves or the blatantly-nonhuman keep things subtle. The seas of Cabat are some of the safest in the world, as Cabat boasts a powerful navy to keep its trading empire safe.

The official language of Cabat is Cabati (hah. will take suggestions im bad at naming things), but the shared language across most of the countries in the central continent is Common--most people in Cabat can speak at least a little of Common, but for traders it's essential to have near fluency.

- - - countries
just in case we get more than a couple relevant countries, here's a quick list. if you want to make one up, please include some pertinent details in your intro / character introduction :')

Cabat; capital: Joran; languages: Cabati, Common
wealthy, trade-centric country on the coast. small, several cities which are densely populated. boasts one of the best navies in the world. formally frowns upon magic and the like, but most people don't care*. somewhat desert-like environment.

Albis; capital: Esma; languages: Albissian, Common
wealthy, production-centric country. lush, green nation. large, has many towns that are moderately populated. hosts both a large army and a large navy, very well equipped, but relies primarily on numbers to win its skirmishes. weak magic is very common amongst its populace, both human and non-human; the more powerful the magic ability, the more uncommon

honestly made that up on the spot; you're free to introduce other countries with their own quirks and whatnot, as long as it's within reason.

*it's kinda like not really stopping at stop signs. people might frown, but most people aren't going to report you for it. on the other hand, if you get caught....

hello~ haven't started an rp thread here before (or looked at any, tbh), so i'm not sure what the accepted norms are, but here we go:

- - - rules
- use common sense, please.
- clear your character with me first
- a quick summary of your character before intro-ing is fine, but i'd still like you to write them into the environment with an introduction or something so no one assumes things incorrectly
- if you want to include an image with your intro, please make sure you either drew it or have permission to use it :/ reposting / stealing art is a hella no-no
- interact by the end of your first post--saves us trouble of having a round where everyone fumbles to get together from their respective starting places
- if you're not sure if something passes or not, just ask and i'll let you know asap
- here is the ooc thread for extensive ooc discussion

- - - setting
Lornia is the biggest, most important port of Cabat, a country that thrives on and is fat off of trade. It is fortunately positioned on the coast to have fair weather year round, and relatively near to the capital city of Joran to ensure both economic and political power.

Being a tradeport, its not uncommon to see a large variety of different peoples representing different countries, but that is not to say its populace and its frequenters are not without their respective biases. Though the law prevents any physical altercations from happening (within the public eye), it does nothing to stop the damage from being done by merchants on their customers' wallets.

The national religion of Cabat frowns upon things like magic and non-human creatures (except for their deity, of course), but the true gods of Cabat are the golden crowns, the silver sovereigns, and the copper bits; if a little witchery under the table is to lead to a heavier purse, then who's to say the priesthood should be called?

It's not to say that Cabat is a corrupt cesspool of debauchery--it's only as corrupt as most other nations, which is to say, unsavory deals are kept under the table. The well-funded, well-trained guard still frowns upon public displays of non-humanness, and will attempt to evict or imprison (or put into a grave) any wrongdoers. There's always a guardsman within hailing distance, and most would-be thieves or the blatantly-nonhuman keep things subtle. The seas of Cabat are some of the safest in the world, as Cabat boasts a powerful navy to keep its trading empire safe.

The official language of Cabat is Cabati (hah. will take suggestions im bad at naming things), but the shared language across most of the countries in the central continent is Common--most people in Cabat can speak at least a little of Common, but for traders it's essential to have near fluency.

- - - countries
just in case we get more than a couple relevant countries, here's a quick list. if you want to make one up, please include some pertinent details in your intro / character introduction :')

Cabat; capital: Joran; languages: Cabati, Common
wealthy, trade-centric country on the coast. small, several cities which are densely populated. boasts one of the best navies in the world. formally frowns upon magic and the like, but most people don't care*. somewhat desert-like environment.

Albis; capital: Esma; languages: Albissian, Common
wealthy, production-centric country. lush, green nation. large, has many towns that are moderately populated. hosts both a large army and a large navy, very well equipped, but relies primarily on numbers to win its skirmishes. weak magic is very common amongst its populace, both human and non-human; the more powerful the magic ability, the more uncommon

honestly made that up on the spot; you're free to introduce other countries with their own quirks and whatnot, as long as it's within reason.

*it's kinda like not really stopping at stop signs. people might frown, but most people aren't going to report you for it. on the other hand, if you get caught....

- - - players
@arian
joshua -- blond hair to his neck, tied back; blue eyes; fair skin. weather mage/peddler. mid-late twenties
farah -- master of extensive spy network, brothel chains. human. seems to lack any special abilities beyond a silver tongue, a photographic memory, and the amazing ability to disappear from awkward situations very quickly. olive skin, long dark brown hair (waist length). hazel eyes. slender, short, overall small and easily over looked.
ezra -- farah's protege. very good memory. affinity for communication. tall, lightly muscled. lighter skin. dark brown eyes. either clean shaven or not, depending. wavy hair, a little on the long side, worn pushed back

@amentia
relina -- mid-back length, dark brown hair; blue eyes; fond of dark clothes. quiet, ruthless, deals in 'specialties'
kari -- werewolf shifter; pale hair, yellow eyes, blind in left eye. helps relina

@rooibosinblue
Sahar-- Female; Wavy dark brown hair to mid back, normally under head scarf when in uniform and out in the sun, brown hazel eyes, dark skin, tall muscular build; Human, works as a knight for the city of Lornia; Generally friendly but is also strict and very religious.

- - - players
@arian
joshua -- blond hair to his neck, tied back; blue eyes; fair skin. weather mage/peddler. mid-late twenties
farah -- master of extensive spy network, brothel chains. human. seems to lack any special abilities beyond a silver tongue, a photographic memory, and the amazing ability to disappear from awkward situations very quickly. olive skin, long dark brown hair (waist length). hazel eyes. slender, short, overall small and easily over looked.
ezra -- farah's protege. very good memory. affinity for communication. tall, lightly muscled. lighter skin. dark brown eyes. either clean shaven or not, depending. wavy hair, a little on the long side, worn pushed back

@amentia
relina -- mid-back length, dark brown hair; blue eyes; fond of dark clothes. quiet, ruthless, deals in 'specialties'
kari -- werewolf shifter; pale hair, yellow eyes, blind in left eye. helps relina

@rooibosinblue
Sahar-- Female; Wavy dark brown hair to mid back, normally under head scarf when in uniform and out in the sun, brown hazel eyes, dark skin, tall muscular build; Human, works as a knight for the city of Lornia; Generally friendly but is also strict and very religious.

Joshua -- Albissian; blond hair to his neck, tied back; blue eyes; fair skin. weather mage/peddler. mid-late twenties [img]http://i.imgur.com/UNOB5Ox.png[/img] Joshua had a habit of finding himself in places where he didn't exactly want to be. Granted, he was a wandering peddler, but still. The world had a lot of safe spots for people who sold magical trinkets, but somehow, more often than not, things ended up with him running, monsters or guards hot on his heels and hungry for his head. He'd boarded a tradeship with his guardsman friend's squad who promised him a thriving market for his various enchanted odds and ends. Magic-muscle combos were popular with captains looking to hire protection for their crafts, and his specialty in weather magic was just another perk. Though no mage could completely overcome Nature in her fury, he was more accurate in predicting weather patterns than any but your most seasoned seaman, and also helpful in assisting becalmed vessels. While his share of the protection fee was good, Joshua's prospects of making profits once the ship had docked looked grim. His friend had conveniently failed to mention that this market would in Cabat, where he'd have to really work to try and sell his bread and butter products. Primarily magical, the goods that made him the big bucks would have to be sold to the underground market or directly to the wealthy in their homes. Which meant he was going to be sticking his neck out for profits. Again. Thank you, my mercenary friend. It was late morning, and he had been up since the crack of dawn, sitting in the dust with his more innocuous trinkets spread before him. He had maybe about an hour or two left before he left for his first meeting with the first of the wealthy inside their luxurious homes to try and sell some of his more illegal goods. Until then, though, he sweat and yell with the other merchants seeking to sell their goods. Trying to adjust the hood of his cloak in a way such that it blocked the sun from his face and yet allowed him to scan the streets appropriately, he called to a passing lady (and anyone else within earshot), "Hello, miss! A bolt of fine silk that will never stain or tear? We have many colors! Only fifty sovereigns a bolt! Not into fabrics? Fine knives! Keeps their edge, sharp enough to split a hair!" The hood slipped back and he hurriedly readjusted it. The unyielding Cabat sun beat down on upon the market-goers, and while Joshua was not the lightest of the people in the Lornian market today, he certainly did not have the dark skin that the native people of the region did. It would be just his luck, he thought as he readjusted the hood again and gathered breath for another cry, if at the end of this unfortunate trip, he found himself with a sunburn.
Joshua -- Albissian; blond hair to his neck, tied back; blue eyes; fair skin. weather mage/peddler. mid-late twenties

UNOB5Ox.png

Joshua had a habit of finding himself in places where he didn't exactly want to be. Granted, he was a wandering peddler, but still. The world had a lot of safe spots for people who sold magical trinkets, but somehow, more often than not, things ended up with him running, monsters or guards hot on his heels and hungry for his head.

He'd boarded a tradeship with his guardsman friend's squad who promised him a thriving market for his various enchanted odds and ends. Magic-muscle combos were popular with captains looking to hire protection for their crafts, and his specialty in weather magic was just another perk. Though no mage could completely overcome Nature in her fury, he was more accurate in predicting weather patterns than any but your most seasoned seaman, and also helpful in assisting becalmed vessels.

While his share of the protection fee was good, Joshua's prospects of making profits once the ship had docked looked grim. His friend had conveniently failed to mention that this market would in Cabat, where he'd have to really work to try and sell his bread and butter products. Primarily magical, the goods that made him the big bucks would have to be sold to the underground market or directly to the wealthy in their homes. Which meant he was going to be sticking his neck out for profits. Again. Thank you, my mercenary friend.

It was late morning, and he had been up since the crack of dawn, sitting in the dust with his more innocuous trinkets spread before him. He had maybe about an hour or two left before he left for his first meeting with the first of the wealthy inside their luxurious homes to try and sell some of his more illegal goods. Until then, though, he sweat and yell with the other merchants seeking to sell their goods. Trying to adjust the hood of his cloak in a way such that it blocked the sun from his face and yet allowed him to scan the streets appropriately, he called to a passing lady (and anyone else within earshot), "Hello, miss! A bolt of fine silk that will never stain or tear? We have many colors! Only fifty sovereigns a bolt! Not into fabrics? Fine knives! Keeps their edge, sharp enough to split a hair!"

The hood slipped back and he hurriedly readjusted it. The unyielding Cabat sun beat down on upon the market-goers, and while Joshua was not the lightest of the people in the Lornian market today, he certainly did not have the dark skin that the native people of the region did. It would be just his luck, he thought as he readjusted the hood again and gathered breath for another cry, if at the end of this unfortunate trip, he found himself with a sunburn.
@arian

Hey! Just wanted to drop by and mention this sounds like a neat idea! If it's alright, and when you're finished up, I'd like to make a character!

Also, are we allowed to be other non-human characters, or strictly humans?
@arian

Hey! Just wanted to drop by and mention this sounds like a neat idea! If it's alright, and when you're finished up, I'd like to make a character!

Also, are we allowed to be other non-human characters, or strictly humans?
tumblr_opss4vUg0g1wnxxc9o1_400.png

ex7GImS.png

cheshire-cat-smile_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

we__re_all_mad_here_by_bumbumbam-d5k2d0a.jpg
@adira hi!! im glad you're interested. i'll be sure to ping you when i finally get things sorted out laughs;; might be later tonight because i have an essay to get to haah...

non humans are fine!! they just can't be blatantly inhuman as Cabat's not so cool with that. but if you, say, wanted to play an elf, as long as they hid their obvious qualities (ears), they'd be A-OK in the city. there's probably a whole bunch in there, tbh (where else are they going to get their nice silks and stuff?), they're all just discreet
@adira hi!! im glad you're interested. i'll be sure to ping you when i finally get things sorted out laughs;; might be later tonight because i have an essay to get to haah...

non humans are fine!! they just can't be blatantly inhuman as Cabat's not so cool with that. but if you, say, wanted to play an elf, as long as they hid their obvious qualities (ears), they'd be A-OK in the city. there's probably a whole bunch in there, tbh (where else are they going to get their nice silks and stuff?), they're all just discreet
@arian
That's completely fine!

Got it, mythical but not something outrageously noticeable, like a centaur just prancing the streets. Haha thanks!
@arian
That's completely fine!

Got it, mythical but not something outrageously noticeable, like a centaur just prancing the streets. Haha thanks!
tumblr_opss4vUg0g1wnxxc9o1_400.png

ex7GImS.png

cheshire-cat-smile_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

we__re_all_mad_here_by_bumbumbam-d5k2d0a.jpg
AWRITEY open for businessss;; hopefully i haven't missed anything oops

@adira
AWRITEY open for businessss;; hopefully i haven't missed anything oops

@adira
@arian
Hi there! How do you feel about non-human characters with the ability to shapeshift into humans for disguise? This is Ren, and I've got his human form reference around here somewhere...if he interests you, I can dig it up!
@arian
Hi there! How do you feel about non-human characters with the ability to shapeshift into humans for disguise? This is Ren, and I've got his human form reference around here somewhere...if he interests you, I can dig it up!
lilsig1_by_saturnsdragon-d9zy2w4.png lilsig2_by_saturnsdragon-d9zy3l0.png
@ren i kind of want to keep it intraplanetary, but if you can adapt it to a specific sort of nation rather than outer space, i don't see a problem with that !!
@ren i kind of want to keep it intraplanetary, but if you can adapt it to a specific sort of nation rather than outer space, i don't see a problem with that !!
@arian

whoa this is super interesting! if its not too late can I join in? and also is a pic of your character required cuz if so i'll have to draw something up.

(ps... how do you feel about a pirate character?)
@arian

whoa this is super interesting! if its not too late can I join in? and also is a pic of your character required cuz if so i'll have to draw something up.

(ps... how do you feel about a pirate character?)
1 2 3 4 5