Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Lore Challenge] Hex the Wanderer
[center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/847727/84772684_350.png[/img][/center] [font=copperplate][size=4][b]Hex[/b] turns his eyes skyward, the often-smoggy skies of the Ashfall waste a surprisingly clear blue at this hour of morning before the forges fire up and spew heat and smoke into the skies above. He breathes, deeply, trying to loosen the knot of nerves in his insides as he watches the lazy drift of birds overhead. The sun is hot against his back, and he's thankful for the brim of the hand-me-down hat that his father had given him.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]Today is the day-- the day that he sets off on his own to go and explore the world.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]Hex had never quite felt like he belonged here-- whereas his father and mother were both mages of some strength, he found he had very little talent for magic himself in spite of what the glowing blue runes on his scales might lead some to believe. He held no interest in smithing, no interest in fighting for the protection of their clan, and no desire to be held to one place. His wanderlust had always been terrible.[/size][/font] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/29178078][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/291781/29178078.png[/img][/url][/center] [font=copperplate][size=4]He was unsure what had driven him to do it, but he sought the advice of their clan's matriarch, Sleepsong. She was known for her stern, no-nonsense demeanor toward the world. She was revered amongst the dragons of his home for her incredible strength. Most of the others of his age had found her intimidating as children.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]What had surprised him the most, however, was how surprisingly gentle she was. She had a matronly lilt to her voice that had soothed him, and she'd sat and watched him with warm orange eyes and a gentle smile as he'd explained to her his longing for something more. She's listened quietly as he explained his desire for something to fulfil him.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4][i]"It sounds to me as if you already have an idea in mind."[/i] She had said, tipping her head in a way that made Hex feel distinctly like she knew precisely the feeling he spoke of. [i]"Yet you seem to hesitate to tell me what that is."[/i][/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]Hex watches her, feeling a bit like he wants to shrink into himself as he glances up toward the larger Guardian with visible hesitation.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]"I... suppose it would be because I don't think the clan is where I belong..." He murmurs.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]Where he expected anger or disappointment, he finds none of that. Instead, the matriarch laughs, eyes crunching in amusement.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4][i]"If we were all happy with the clans we were born into, I wouldn't be standing here leading my clan, would I?" She replies, breezily. "It's not nearly so bad as you make it seem. Not everyone belongs to the clan they are born. Some leave for another, some found their own, and some go to serve the Flamecaller or other Deities alike."[/i][/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]"But what if I feel like I don't belong to [i]any[/i] clan?" Hex asks, though he wishes he could have swallowed the question back down. Sleepsong gives him a curious look, again, where he almost expects anger.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4][i]"I can't say I've heard of it before, but I suppose if that is the life that will make you happy that's what you must pursue."[/i] She says it calmly, and Hex pauses, blinking up at her. [i]"You're still young, are you not? The clan could hardly expect you to clip your wings before you even discover who you are, even if your particular brand of happiness is rather antisocial."[/i][/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]"It's not."[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]Sleepsong pauses, watching him for a moment, curious.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]"It's not antisocial." He repeats. "I... [i]want[/i] to be with dragons. Many of them, really. I want to hear their stories. Even in the wastes there are dragons of so many histories..." He says, thinking of the colorful bunch within their own clan-- reformed pirates, the family of fae who are more bug-like than dragon, the dragons who look as though they've been chipped from pure white marble and those who look gilded with gold. The clan had always been a melting pot, and hearing them speak of where they came from and the hardships they'd faced had always fascinated Hex.[/size][/font] [font=copperplate][size=4]"I want to learn from them. To write about them. For dragons across the world."[/size][/font] [center]_________[/center] [center][font=copperplate][size=7][b]Hex the Wanderer[/b][/size][/font][/center] Hello, kind stranger. This thread is dedicated to Hex the wanderer, a dragon dedicated to helping to expand the lore and collect stories from the dragons across Sornieth to share with one another. Or, in more laymans terms, Hex is, essentially, a pass the buck challenge for those who want to expand the lore of their clan and practice their writing. So how does it work? Well, here is the gist. I will begin the "round", and whomever lays claim to the next post after me will be the first stop on Hex's journey. I will create a crossroads trade with Hex to you. What you will do is write about one of your dragons, pairs, or simply a facet of your clan that you want to expand on in this thread (though feel free to cross post it to your own dragons bios if you would like!) and then you will "pass the buck" so to speak, and will trade Hex onto the next person to ping you in this thread and so on. [b]The rules[/b] [b]1.[/b] To begin with, [b]I understand that this is something that comes with a certain level of risk, as this is a trust-based system.[/b] [indent][b]1.1[/b] It is an unfortunate fact that Hex may end up being exalted or sold, and once he has left my possession, I have very little control over that. I can breed a new 'hex' as his parents give very consistent children, but in the interim we will just have to 'pretend' that Hex is still with us. I am giving the benefit of the doubt because ultimately it is very low-stakes that Hex may get exalted.[/indent] [indent][b]1.2[/b]While I can't stop you from doing so and it can be fun for lore-relevant reasons, [b]I highly encourage you to only give Hex apparel, skins, genes, scenes, etc that you are 100% willing to part with. [/b]You are under NO obligation to change how Hex looks, and in the same way I am under no obligation to return items that might be taken while not under my control.[/indent] [indent][b]1.3[/b] If you notice something happens (I.E. Hex is accidentally exalted or he ends up outside of this thread chain), please ping me to let me know and I can breed a 'replacement' Hex or try and reach out to whomever he ends up with to try and barter with them to get him back.[/indent] [b]2[/b]. Please do not breed Hex. While it might be fun to have for lore reasons, it will tie the thread up while he nests. If you would like to 'breed' Hex, please let me know and I can get you a similar dragon via his parents that you are free to do with as you please. (Thank you!) [b]3.[/b] Please try not to keep Hex in your lair for longer than five days. I understand that writing takes time, and that real life happens, but I would like to have him passed along to the next person to keep the ball rolling. That being said, you can always reserve a post and then write Hex's journal entry [i]later[/i]. [b]4.[/b] While you [i]may[/i] edit Hex's description and add to it, please do NOT delete the section that contains a link to this thread and who to contact if he gets taken out of rotation. Thank you!
84772684_350.png

Hex turns his eyes skyward, the often-smoggy skies of the Ashfall waste a surprisingly clear blue at this hour of morning before the forges fire up and spew heat and smoke into the skies above. He breathes, deeply, trying to loosen the knot of nerves in his insides as he watches the lazy drift of birds overhead. The sun is hot against his back, and he's thankful for the brim of the hand-me-down hat that his father had given him.

Today is the day-- the day that he sets off on his own to go and explore the world.

Hex had never quite felt like he belonged here-- whereas his father and mother were both mages of some strength, he found he had very little talent for magic himself in spite of what the glowing blue runes on his scales might lead some to believe. He held no interest in smithing, no interest in fighting for the protection of their clan, and no desire to be held to one place. His wanderlust had always been terrible.
29178078.png

He was unsure what had driven him to do it, but he sought the advice of their clan's matriarch, Sleepsong. She was known for her stern, no-nonsense demeanor toward the world. She was revered amongst the dragons of his home for her incredible strength. Most of the others of his age had found her intimidating as children.

What had surprised him the most, however, was how surprisingly gentle she was. She had a matronly lilt to her voice that had soothed him, and she'd sat and watched him with warm orange eyes and a gentle smile as he'd explained to her his longing for something more. She's listened quietly as he explained his desire for something to fulfil him.

"It sounds to me as if you already have an idea in mind." She had said, tipping her head in a way that made Hex feel distinctly like she knew precisely the feeling he spoke of. "Yet you seem to hesitate to tell me what that is."

Hex watches her, feeling a bit like he wants to shrink into himself as he glances up toward the larger Guardian with visible hesitation.

"I... suppose it would be because I don't think the clan is where I belong..." He murmurs.

Where he expected anger or disappointment, he finds none of that. Instead, the matriarch laughs, eyes crunching in amusement.

"If we were all happy with the clans we were born into, I wouldn't be standing here leading my clan, would I?" She replies, breezily. "It's not nearly so bad as you make it seem. Not everyone belongs to the clan they are born. Some leave for another, some found their own, and some go to serve the Flamecaller or other Deities alike."

"But what if I feel like I don't belong to any clan?" Hex asks, though he wishes he could have swallowed the question back down. Sleepsong gives him a curious look, again, where he almost expects anger.

"I can't say I've heard of it before, but I suppose if that is the life that will make you happy that's what you must pursue." She says it calmly, and Hex pauses, blinking up at her. "You're still young, are you not? The clan could hardly expect you to clip your wings before you even discover who you are, even if your particular brand of happiness is rather antisocial."

"It's not."

Sleepsong pauses, watching him for a moment, curious.

"It's not antisocial." He repeats. "I... want to be with dragons. Many of them, really. I want to hear their stories. Even in the wastes there are dragons of so many histories..." He says, thinking of the colorful bunch within their own clan-- reformed pirates, the family of fae who are more bug-like than dragon, the dragons who look as though they've been chipped from pure white marble and those who look gilded with gold. The clan had always been a melting pot, and hearing them speak of where they came from and the hardships they'd faced had always fascinated Hex.

"I want to learn from them. To write about them. For dragons across the world."
_________
Hex the Wanderer

Hello, kind stranger. This thread is dedicated to Hex the wanderer, a dragon dedicated to helping to expand the lore and collect stories from the dragons across Sornieth to share with one another.

Or, in more laymans terms, Hex is, essentially, a pass the buck challenge for those who want to expand the lore of their clan and practice their writing.

So how does it work? Well, here is the gist.

I will begin the "round", and whomever lays claim to the next post after me will be the first stop on Hex's journey. I will create a crossroads trade with Hex to you. What you will do is write about one of your dragons, pairs, or simply a facet of your clan that you want to expand on in this thread (though feel free to cross post it to your own dragons bios if you would like!) and then you will "pass the buck" so to speak, and will trade Hex onto the next person to ping you in this thread and so on.

The rules
1. To begin with, I understand that this is something that comes with a certain level of risk, as this is a trust-based system.
1.1 It is an unfortunate fact that Hex may end up being exalted or sold, and once he has left my possession, I have very little control over that. I can breed a new 'hex' as his parents give very consistent children, but in the interim we will just have to 'pretend' that Hex is still with us. I am giving the benefit of the doubt because ultimately it is very low-stakes that Hex may get exalted.
1.2While I can't stop you from doing so and it can be fun for lore-relevant reasons, I highly encourage you to only give Hex apparel, skins, genes, scenes, etc that you are 100% willing to part with. You are under NO obligation to change how Hex looks, and in the same way I am under no obligation to return items that might be taken while not under my control.
1.3 If you notice something happens (I.E. Hex is accidentally exalted or he ends up outside of this thread chain), please ping me to let me know and I can breed a 'replacement' Hex or try and reach out to whomever he ends up with to try and barter with them to get him back.

2. Please do not breed Hex. While it might be fun to have for lore reasons, it will tie the thread up while he nests. If you would like to 'breed' Hex, please let me know and I can get you a similar dragon via his parents that you are free to do with as you please. (Thank you!)

3. Please try not to keep Hex in your lair for longer than five days. I understand that writing takes time, and that real life happens, but I would like to have him passed along to the next person to keep the ball rolling. That being said, you can always reserve a post and then write Hex's journal entry later.

4. While you may edit Hex's description and add to it, please do NOT delete the section that contains a link to this thread and who to contact if he gets taken out of rotation. Thank you!
tumblr_inline_rs0atyDMoZ1xx63wy_500.png
The 5th of the season of the Lightweaver.

It is the day I begin a journey, though I have no idea what lies ahead of me. I have been a ball of nerves since this morning, and yet somehow I feel hopeful. The skies above are the bluest I've ever seen them, perhaps that's a sign of good fortune?

It is the day I begin a journey, though I have no idea what lies ahead of me. I have been a ball of nerves since this morning, and yet somehow I feel hopeful. The skies above are the bluest I've ever seen them, perhaps that's a sign of good fortune? I will set out after the sun reaches its highest point in hopes that by the evening I will find somewhere to stay. Perhaps, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to find someone who will tell me a short tale I can recount... and the hope is that it will be the first of many.

My mother and father saw me off this morning. I am sure they weren't thrilled to see me leave but... the matriarch is right, I need to find for myself what will make me happy. My father gave me one of his old hats, though, and my mother... well, I can tell she wasn't thrilled...

I have been surprised to see how many have stopped by to give me parting gifts. Mostly food and things that will be of use in my travels but the thought is still touching to me. I don't know how long it will be before I will see the rest of my clan again but... perhaps someday I'll reach this place again.
Hex
The 5th of the season of the Lightweaver.

It is the day I begin a journey, though I have no idea what lies ahead of me. I have been a ball of nerves since this morning, and yet somehow I feel hopeful. The skies above are the bluest I've ever seen them, perhaps that's a sign of good fortune?

It is the day I begin a journey, though I have no idea what lies ahead of me. I have been a ball of nerves since this morning, and yet somehow I feel hopeful. The skies above are the bluest I've ever seen them, perhaps that's a sign of good fortune? I will set out after the sun reaches its highest point in hopes that by the evening I will find somewhere to stay. Perhaps, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to find someone who will tell me a short tale I can recount... and the hope is that it will be the first of many.

My mother and father saw me off this morning. I am sure they weren't thrilled to see me leave but... the matriarch is right, I need to find for myself what will make me happy. My father gave me one of his old hats, though, and my mother... well, I can tell she wasn't thrilled...

I have been surprised to see how many have stopped by to give me parting gifts. Mostly food and things that will be of use in my travels but the thought is still touching to me. I don't know how long it will be before I will see the rest of my clan again but... perhaps someday I'll reach this place again.
Hex
tumblr_inline_rs0atyDMoZ1xx63wy_500.png