Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ23] Story Contest (Winners announced)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Medievalredragon

Host: @WanderingTurtle Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori
Author: Medievalredragon
ID Number: 470795
Category: Freestyle
Entry: “Cindertundra In Not So Wonderland: Where There's Smoke, There's Geyser”
@Medievalredragon

Author: Medievalredragon
ID Number: 470795
Category: Freestyle
Entry: “Cindertundra In Not So Wonderland: Where There's Smoke, There's Geyser”
earthshaker.png
Entries updated to here.

Reminder: the submission deadline is about 13 hours away now (noon FRT tomorrow).

I'll be headed offline soon, but I'll try to be back online at least an hour or two before the deadline in case of any questions or issues. I always check entries' words counts (for all categories, but especially 100 Word Challenge) and required words (for Windy Words) but given how close the deadline is now it's a good idea for writers to double-check those things themselves to ensure they have time to make any needed adjustments.

In other news, the Grand Prize dragon finally has a finished bio! Since I realize the coding might look wonky on other screens, here's a screenshot of how I intended it to look for reference. I'm totally comfortable tweaking the coding for the winner to make it look better on their screen if needed.
Entries updated to here.

Reminder: the submission deadline is about 13 hours away now (noon FRT tomorrow).

I'll be headed offline soon, but I'll try to be back online at least an hour or two before the deadline in case of any questions or issues. I always check entries' words counts (for all categories, but especially 100 Word Challenge) and required words (for Windy Words) but given how close the deadline is now it's a good idea for writers to double-check those things themselves to ensure they have time to make any needed adjustments.

In other news, the Grand Prize dragon finally has a finished bio! Since I realize the coding might look wonky on other screens, here's a screenshot of how I intended it to look for reference. I'm totally comfortable tweaking the coding for the winner to make it look better on their screen if needed.
A colorful chibi Mirror dragon. Image links to the dragon itself.colorful chaos
Quick bump as the deadline approaches, there's only about 4 hours left to submit any last minute entries!
Quick bump as the deadline approaches, there's only about 4 hours left to submit any last minute entries!
Author: winterleaves11
ID Number: 384582
Category: Windy Words (Tale Prompt)
Entry: Campfire Tales

alternatively labeled "horrid things" for how many times the word comes up, haha. while it was more of a last minute idea, i felt more motivated towards writing an interaction between(almost all)the members of my merchant group. and it was nice doing something more light-hearted.

Category: 100 Word Challenge
Entry: Gemstones

a quick thing involving a lore idea i had for my newest undertide, glare, and his skin. he wants to be a pretty thing :)

these may be last-hour submissions, but participating in this event has been something i wanted to do since first encountering it last year, but unfortunately didn't have the time for. it was a lot of fun, hasty as i had to be.
Category: Windy Words (Tale Prompt)
Entry: Campfire Tales

alternatively labeled "horrid things" for how many times the word comes up, haha. while it was more of a last minute idea, i felt more motivated towards writing an interaction between(almost all)the members of my merchant group. and it was nice doing something more light-hearted.

Category: 100 Word Challenge
Entry: Gemstones

a quick thing involving a lore idea i had for my newest undertide, glare, and his skin. he wants to be a pretty thing :)

these may be last-hour submissions, but participating in this event has been something i wanted to do since first encountering it last year, but unfortunately didn't have the time for. it was a lot of fun, hasty as i had to be.
5iXiC8z.pngfc4zvun.pngrI18gRz.pngQUIpVFE.png
|| lore shop
@winterleaves11

Glad you managed to squeeze in the time to enter after all, and that you enjoyed yourself! ^_^
@winterleaves11

Glad you managed to squeeze in the time to enter after all, and that you enjoyed yourself! ^_^
[size=2]Volunteer Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori Participants: @NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @AloVra @MeowyJr @Soulthreads @Medievalredragon @winterleaves11 General Pinglist: @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight[/size] [center][img]https://imgur.com/ganu0w8.png[/img] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/52889929][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1055883577532874822/1073046475103281203/story_host_200px.png[/img][/url] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1055883577532874822/1073046475321397422/story_host_harpy_200px.png[/img][/center] The two hosts finish attaching a closed sign to the main announcement board before turning their attention to the gathered onlookers. The harpy speaks first, saying, [color=mediumorchid]"Thank you all for sharing your tales with us, my brethren and I appreciate the chance to experience a different way of telling stories and look forward to reading them."[/color] [color=steelblue]"Yes,"[/color] the veilspun adds happily, [color=steelblue]"I can't wait to read everyone's stories as well! Thank you all for participating in our contest!"[/color] [color=mediumorchid]"Please be aware that the judges have other duties outside of this event, so it may take them some time to determine winners,"[/color] the harpy reminds the crowd. [color=mediumorchid]"We'll be back with their decisions as soon as we have them, though."[/color] [color=steelblue]"Speaking of the judges,"[/color] the dragon pipes up, [color=steelblue]"they should have some news regarding our surprise guest sometime sooner than that, so keep your ears peeled!"[/color] [rule] Thank you everyone for your entries, the contest is now officially closed for submissions! Some judging has already started, but since the judges' lives outside of FR take priority it could still be a while before winners are determined. Please have patience, and don't panic if it takes longer than a couple weeks. The winner for the bonus RNG aether prize should be announced within the next few days, though! And lastly, the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/52889929]Grand Prize dragon[/url] finally has a completed bio! Since I have no way of telling if the coding looks funky on other screens, [url=https://imgur.com/2VYGEvz]here's a screenshot[/url] of how it's intended to look. I don't mind fiddling with the code to get it looking right on the winner's screen if they'd like when the time comes, either.
Volunteer Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori

Participants: @NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @AloVra @MeowyJr @Soulthreads @Medievalredragon @winterleaves11

General Pinglist: @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight

ganu0w8.png

story_host_200px.png story_host_harpy_200px.png

The two hosts finish attaching a closed sign to the main announcement board before turning their attention to the gathered onlookers.

The harpy speaks first, saying, "Thank you all for sharing your tales with us, my brethren and I appreciate the chance to experience a different way of telling stories and look forward to reading them."

"Yes," the veilspun adds happily, "I can't wait to read everyone's stories as well! Thank you all for participating in our contest!"

"Please be aware that the judges have other duties outside of this event, so it may take them some time to determine winners," the harpy reminds the crowd. "We'll be back with their decisions as soon as we have them, though."

"Speaking of the judges," the dragon pipes up, "they should have some news regarding our surprise guest sometime sooner than that, so keep your ears peeled!"

Thank you everyone for your entries, the contest is now officially closed for submissions! Some judging has already started, but since the judges' lives outside of FR take priority it could still be a while before winners are determined. Please have patience, and don't panic if it takes longer than a couple weeks.

The winner for the bonus RNG aether prize should be announced within the next few days, though!

And lastly, the Grand Prize dragon finally has a completed bio! Since I have no way of telling if the coding looks funky on other screens, here's a screenshot of how it's intended to look. I don't mind fiddling with the code to get it looking right on the winner's screen if they'd like when the time comes, either.
[center][size=5][b]And the Aether Goes To...[/b][/size][/center] An antsy-looking dragon was not checking the Winner's Board at the Story Contest every hour on the hour. Not at all. After all, it was centrally located and one could easily pass by on the way to...well, certainly none of the [i]other[/i] Story Entrants were faring any better. Everyone was on pins and needles. The last update was made by Judge Elliott, who assured the participants that "these things just take time." Easy for him to say, no one wants to argue with an Imperial! As a matter of fact, this particular participant had just returned from fetching lunch and was passing by the Winner's Board (no results yet) with an order of pescado frito, when they heard shouting from the Judges' Tent. "Ah, no, no! I tole zem not to...[i]geef [/i]me zat! [i]No[/i] and [i]no[/i]! [i]You[/i] come wiz me!" [columns][size=4] The restless dragon ducked out of the way just as the tent flap flew open and the Spiral judge, Dewette, came charging out with a strange, green furry creature in her claws. It was holding a large, crumpled festival map in its paws, which it had evidently been shredding with its little round beak. (Torn bits of evidence were everywhere.) Dewette stopped and scanned the crowd of late festival-goers, obviously looking for the errant creature-sitter. She spotted the staring contestant and her eyes flew to their pescado frito. She frowned.[/size][nextcol][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/526322/52632137.png[/img][/columns] "Ah, no! 'E does not eat feesh." She paused then, considering. A light bulb seemed to go off in her head and she straightened up and approached, holding her charge at arms length as though it were a crying hatchling. (It was not crying at all. In fact, it was eyeing the fried fish. The dragon held their pescado frito closer.) "You! 'Allo, you look friendly. You like animals, yes?" The participant's initial embarrassment at being caught checking the Winner's Board was replaced by curiosity. What exactly was going on here? Had any of the other judges been there, they could have advised them to run for the hills. Unfortunately, they were all absent and the unsuspecting dragon was left to muddle on in ignorance. Dewette turned on the charm. "Zees 'ere, we call 'im Papyrus. 'e ees very friendly, like you, but - alas!" Dewette sniffed, "- 'e ees an orphan! 'E 'as no proper 'ome. 'E ees very pretty, you sink?" As the feathered fluffball was presented to them, the curious entrant could see that instead of a beak, as they first thought, Papyrus had sharp pincers on the sides of his head and the typical enormous eyes of the very young. Enormous, adorable eyes that matched his fur quite nicely. His translucent wings buzzed intermittently as Papyrus seemed to consider the dragon before him. Suddenly, Papyrus let out a small but explosive sneeze that shook his whole body. "Ah! See? 'E likes you!" Dewette continued, undeterred. "I sink you weel get along famously!" She tucked the creature under one arm so she could get a claw free. "'Ere, give me zat..." taking the pescado frito, "'an I geef 'im to you, so..." She stepped back, brushing off her skirts and popping a piece of fish into her mouth. "See? Ah, yes! You are so cute togezer! I knew eet!" A brilliant smile lit up her face. "Now, I am, you know, very beezy. We muss get ze stories all finished. But voila! You, you already have a prize, yes? I am so glad you like 'eem!" With that, she turned and flounced back into the tent, quickly popping her head out to call, "Don' forget! 'E only eats paper, la!" The newly appointed caretaker stood dumbstruck for a moment, puzzling how they had managed to trade their lunch for a... new familiar?? What was this creature, anyway? Some very deep misgivings were starting to push their way in. There was no time to ponder that now though; Papyrus was starting to root around in their pockets...! [center][size=5][b]Congratulations, @TETRAHEDR0N on your new Aether![/b][/size] [i](You will still be eligible for the regular Story Contest Prizes.)[/i] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/84861769][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/848618/84861769.png[/img][/url][/center] [size=5]As Dewette said, the judges are very busy judging all the story entries and will have the results up as soon as they can![/size] [rule] (Posting this slightly later than I intended, oops. Progress is being made in the judging process though, so don't worry! Also, credit to @Storygeek for the writing.) [size=2]Volunteer Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori Participants: @NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @AloVra @MeowyJr @Soulthreads @Medievalredragon @winterleaves11 General Pinglist: @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight[/size]
And the Aether Goes To...

An antsy-looking dragon was not checking the Winner's Board at the Story Contest every hour on the hour. Not at all. After all, it was centrally located and one could easily pass by on the way to...well, certainly none of the other Story Entrants were faring any better. Everyone was on pins and needles. The last update was made by Judge Elliott, who assured the participants that "these things just take time." Easy for him to say, no one wants to argue with an Imperial!

As a matter of fact, this particular participant had just returned from fetching lunch and was passing by the Winner's Board (no results yet) with an order of pescado frito, when they heard shouting from the Judges' Tent.

"Ah, no, no! I tole zem not to...geef me zat! No and no! You come wiz me!"

The restless dragon ducked out of the way just as the tent flap flew open and the Spiral judge, Dewette, came charging out with a strange, green furry creature in her claws. It was holding a large, crumpled festival map in its paws, which it had evidently been shredding with its little round beak. (Torn bits of evidence were everywhere.) Dewette stopped and scanned the crowd of late festival-goers, obviously looking for the errant creature-sitter. She spotted the staring contestant and her eyes flew to their pescado frito. She frowned.
52632137.png

"Ah, no! 'E does not eat feesh." She paused then, considering. A light bulb seemed to go off in her head and she straightened up and approached, holding her charge at arms length as though it were a crying hatchling. (It was not crying at all. In fact, it was eyeing the fried fish. The dragon held their pescado frito closer.)

"You! 'Allo, you look friendly. You like animals, yes?" The participant's initial embarrassment at being caught checking the Winner's Board was replaced by curiosity. What exactly was going on here? Had any of the other judges been there, they could have advised them to run for the hills. Unfortunately, they were all absent and the unsuspecting dragon was left to muddle on in ignorance.

Dewette turned on the charm. "Zees 'ere, we call 'im Papyrus. 'e ees very friendly, like you, but - alas!" Dewette sniffed, "- 'e ees an orphan! 'E 'as no proper 'ome. 'E ees very pretty, you sink?" As the feathered fluffball was presented to them, the curious entrant could see that instead of a beak, as they first thought, Papyrus had sharp pincers on the sides of his head and the typical enormous eyes of the very young. Enormous, adorable eyes that matched his fur quite nicely. His translucent wings buzzed intermittently as Papyrus seemed to consider the dragon before him.

Suddenly, Papyrus let out a small but explosive sneeze that shook his whole body. "Ah! See? 'E likes you!" Dewette continued, undeterred. "I sink you weel get along famously!" She tucked the creature under one arm so she could get a claw free. "'Ere, give me zat..." taking the pescado frito, "'an I geef 'im to you, so..." She stepped back, brushing off her skirts and popping a piece of fish into her mouth. "See? Ah, yes! You are so cute togezer! I knew eet!" A brilliant smile lit up her face.

"Now, I am, you know, very beezy. We muss get ze stories all finished. But voila! You, you already have a prize, yes? I am so glad you like 'eem!" With that, she turned and flounced back into the tent, quickly popping her head out to call, "Don' forget! 'E only eats paper, la!"

The newly appointed caretaker stood dumbstruck for a moment, puzzling how they had managed to trade their lunch for a... new familiar?? What was this creature, anyway? Some very deep misgivings were starting to push their way in. There was no time to ponder that now though; Papyrus was starting to root around in their pockets...!

Congratulations, @TETRAHEDR0N on your new Aether!
(You will still be eligible for the regular Story Contest Prizes.)

84861769.png

As Dewette said, the judges are very busy judging all the story entries and will have the results up as soon as they can!

(Posting this slightly later than I intended, oops. Progress is being made in the judging process though, so don't worry! Also, credit to @Storygeek for the writing.)

Participants: @NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @AloVra @MeowyJr @Soulthreads @Medievalredragon @winterleaves11

oh wowza wowza ty!
oh wowza wowza ty!
DRAGONS !

I'm here to announce that after much deliberation, the winners have been determined! And in part due to the new rule about only winning once, for the first time in Story Contest history... everybody wins! *throws confetti* Each one is well-deserved too, the judges and I thoroughly enjoyed reading each entry.

Item (and dragon) prizes will be delivered by sockmonkeygerald within the next few days.

For anyone whose prize includes lore, your writer will also contact you about it within a few days. Please have patience with them since not only will they be writing for multiple people, but they also have lives outside of this contest.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone involved in this event, from the participants, to the judges, to those who contributed art/writing/prizes. Your efforts are all appreciated, so thank you!

I'm here to announce that after much deliberation, the winners have been determined! And in part due to the new rule about only winning once, for the first time in Story Contest history... everybody wins! *throws confetti* Each one is well-deserved too, the judges and I thoroughly enjoyed reading each entry.

Item (and dragon) prizes will be delivered by sockmonkeygerald within the next few days.

For anyone whose prize includes lore, your writer will also contact you about it within a few days. Please have patience with them since not only will they be writing for multiple people, but they also have lives outside of this contest.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone involved in this event, from the participants, to the judges, to those who contributed art/writing/prizes. Your efforts are all appreciated, so thank you!
@teddy2008 @windymountaintop

Congratulations! You have each won one Origin Story for a dragon of your choice! My guidelines and samples are here.

Please PM me with your choice of dragon and any other input you desire (within the guidelines of course). Expect planning to be a collaboration: if I have an idea that requires a family member or an accomplice, etc. I will request suggestions from your lair.

I am also writing lore for the 2nd place winners, so I will do my best to work on lore in the order I receive your information.
@teddy2008 @windymountaintop

Congratulations! You have each won one Origin Story for a dragon of your choice! My guidelines and samples are here.

Please PM me with your choice of dragon and any other input you desire (within the guidelines of course). Expect planning to be a collaboration: if I have an idea that requires a family member or an accomplice, etc. I will request suggestions from your lair.

I am also writing lore for the 2nd place winners, so I will do my best to work on lore in the order I receive your information.
UTakosS.pngY5AUp2a.gif qzV0stX.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9