Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Misfitting - a pinkerlocke
1 2 3 4 5 6
I agree with Gender. I want to keep up with this, and I am already Subscribed, but it would be nice if you cold contact me when you update via pings instead.

Also, nice pulls! I love the story so far!
I agree with Gender. I want to keep up with this, and I am already Subscribed, but it would be nice if you cold contact me when you update via pings instead.

Also, nice pulls! I love the story so far!
QBIWg1o.png
. Twistedstripe
FR+3 || he/him

.... OvfZqTx.gif
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Five[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Depin][/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33689019] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/336891/33689019_350.png[/img] [/url] "Clio, this is madness. We can still go back. You have a job-" "No-no-no-no-no-no-no, I [i]had[/i] a job. A glorious job, a job I was good at, and proud to do. Now they give me an insult as, what, [i]compensation[/i] for being too rusted competent?" "You're injured, Clio. You're not thinking straight." "I'm not doing paperwork for the rest of my rusting life!" She glared at him. "I built you, and I can sure as anything take you apart again. No more complaining." "I hate when you get like this." "Yeah, well, take it up with the Boss." ----- [s]This is Clio. I'm awaiting her delivery, but she's mine.[/s] @Delcat Thanks, mate! @Gender Absolutely! Duskbright's was my favourite prologue to write. His POV is very fun. @Twistedstripe Gotcha! I swear I actually am working on the writing sections. It's been one of those weeks, I haven't been near my computer nearly as much as I intended to be.
Day Five
Depin

33689019_350.png

"Clio, this is madness. We can still go back. You have a job-"

"No-no-no-no-no-no-no, I had a job. A glorious job, a job I was good at, and proud to do. Now they give me an insult as, what, compensation for being too rusted competent?"

"You're injured, Clio. You're not thinking straight."

"I'm not doing paperwork for the rest of my rusting life!" She glared at him. "I built you, and I can sure as anything take you apart again. No more complaining."

"I hate when you get like this."

"Yeah, well, take it up with the Boss."
This is Clio. I'm awaiting her delivery, but she's mine.

@Delcat Thanks, mate!
@Gender Absolutely! Duskbright's was my favourite prologue to write. His POV is very fun.
@Twistedstripe Gotcha! I swear I actually am working on the writing sections. It's been one of those weeks, I haven't been near my computer nearly as much as I intended to be.
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Six[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Firebearer][/center] The long dragon was twined around a tree when Nexus came back from his fishing. He still couldn't understand any of the rumbling noises it made, but it didn't seem dangerous. Lulu didn't think there was any harm in letting it hang about, and that was good enough for him. It was still strange to watch [i]move[/i], though, like a ball of string with legs and wings. He had no idea how it stayed aloft. He held a fish out in it's direction, but it just swept it's whole body around the tree tighter. It must eat [i]something[/i]. He shrugged. More for himself, then. ----- I took the boys into the coli and they all hit L6. Had some close calls with Coral Basilisks, but everyone was okay. [s]Still working on filling in the writing.[/s] @Gender @Twistedstripe
Day Six
Firebearer

The long dragon was twined around a tree when Nexus came back from his fishing. He still couldn't understand any of the rumbling noises it made, but it didn't seem dangerous. Lulu didn't think there was any harm in letting it hang about, and that was good enough for him. It was still strange to watch move, though, like a ball of string with legs and wings. He had no idea how it stayed aloft.

He held a fish out in it's direction, but it just swept it's whole body around the tree tighter. It must eat something. He shrugged. More for himself, then.
I took the boys into the coli and they all hit L6. Had some close calls with Coral Basilisks, but everyone was okay. Still working on filling in the writing.

@Gender @Twistedstripe
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Seven[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Blue Dragon Seaslug][/center] "There are dragons on the shore." "Yes, thank you, I can [i]see[/i] them." "Don't snap at me, I'm a Lookout. It's literally in my name. My job, if you will, a thing [i]I[/i] still have, even if you-" "I will throw you in the ocean and you can rust." "Okay, well that's an unnecessary amount of aggression..." "And yet you're still talking, so clearly more aggression [i]is[/i] necessary." "Are you gonna go talk to them?" "I haven't decided yet." ----- Took the boys into the coli again. Also tinctured them so I could stat them properly as Sedonas. Much easier to use now that their stats aren't so different from each other. I almost lost Nexus to a solitary Coral Basilisk who didn't want to attack anyone else and dodged every attack aimed at it, but the ability to reload the page to avoid death saved him. They all hit level 7. @Gender @Twistedstripe Only pinging you guys once because I forgot to actually hit the submit button on this yesterday.
Day Seven
Blue Dragon Seaslug

"There are dragons on the shore."

"Yes, thank you, I can see them."

"Don't snap at me, I'm a Lookout. It's literally in my name. My job, if you will, a thing I still have, even if you-"

"I will throw you in the ocean and you can rust."

"Okay, well that's an unnecessary amount of aggression..."

"And yet you're still talking, so clearly more aggression is necessary."

"Are you gonna go talk to them?"

"I haven't decided yet."
Took the boys into the coli again. Also tinctured them so I could stat them properly as Sedonas. Much easier to use now that their stats aren't so different from each other. I almost lost Nexus to a solitary Coral Basilisk who didn't want to attack anyone else and dodged every attack aimed at it, but the ability to reload the page to avoid death saved him. They all hit level 7.

@Gender @Twistedstripe Only pinging you guys once because I forgot to actually hit the submit button on this yesterday.
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Eight[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Chipped Blackened Legbones][/center] As soon as Duskbright saw the other spiral he shot out across the water to meet her. Even before he knew she was a girl. Not that that would have mattered. Why would that matter? It's just that the only company he's had for days has been Streak and the Whistling Coatl, and there was only so much he could talk to himself before he wanted something to talk back to him. She pulled back as he reached her, staying just out of reach if he'd wanted to attack. Which he absolutely one hundred percent did not want to do. "Hi," he said. "I'm Duskbright." She eyed him warily, but the Chromefeather Lookout flying beside her said, "That's Clio. She's mean, and stubborn." "[i]I[/i]'m stubborn-?" Clio started to protest, then visibly bit her tongue and grimaced. "Nice to meet you." "Yeah, you too! Are you going somewhere specific?" "Maybe." "That's okay, you don't have to tell me. Do you want to stop flying for a minute, though? Or maybe for a couple of days, rest your wings? It's just me and the Whistling Coatl on this islet, and neither of us is dangerous. I mean, he's a weirdo and he doesn't talk, but he's been a decent enough neighbor." "Uh-huh," Clio said. "Listen, is there a... proper clan around here somewhere?" "Not that I've seen. I mean, I haven't seen a lot, but I've flown a circuit around the islet a few times and I've never seen anyone else. Other than the Whistling Coatl." "You said that already. Does the Whistling Coatl have a name?" "Not that I know of. All he does is-" "Whistle. I figured that part out for myself." She sighed and looked at the Lookout. "What do you think?" "I [i]know[/i] we should go back, but if you aren't going to listen to the voice of reason-" "You are [i]not[/i] the voice of reason." "-I think there's no harm in resting here for a while." "Huh. Fine then." Duskbright grinned at them. It was so nice to have other voices again, even if all they did was argue. Maybe that would be annoying if they stayed too long, but right now it was the best thing that had happened in ages. (Not ages. Still not ages.) ----- [s]More writing. Yay. Apologies for how late [i]all the writing[/i] has ended up being.[/s]
Day Eight
Chipped Blackened Legbones

As soon as Duskbright saw the other spiral he shot out across the water to meet her. Even before he knew she was a girl. Not that that would have mattered. Why would that matter? It's just that the only company he's had for days has been Streak and the Whistling Coatl, and there was only so much he could talk to himself before he wanted something to talk back to him.

She pulled back as he reached her, staying just out of reach if he'd wanted to attack. Which he absolutely one hundred percent did not want to do.

"Hi," he said. "I'm Duskbright."

She eyed him warily, but the Chromefeather Lookout flying beside her said, "That's Clio. She's mean, and stubborn."

"I'm stubborn-?" Clio started to protest, then visibly bit her tongue and grimaced. "Nice to meet you."

"Yeah, you too! Are you going somewhere specific?"

"Maybe."

"That's okay, you don't have to tell me. Do you want to stop flying for a minute, though? Or maybe for a couple of days, rest your wings? It's just me and the Whistling Coatl on this islet, and neither of us is dangerous. I mean, he's a weirdo and he doesn't talk, but he's been a decent enough neighbor."

"Uh-huh," Clio said. "Listen, is there a... proper clan around here somewhere?"

"Not that I've seen. I mean, I haven't seen a lot, but I've flown a circuit around the islet a few times and I've never seen anyone else. Other than the Whistling Coatl."

"You said that already. Does the Whistling Coatl have a name?"

"Not that I know of. All he does is-"

"Whistle. I figured that part out for myself." She sighed and looked at the Lookout. "What do you think?"

"I know we should go back, but if you aren't going to listen to the voice of reason-"

"You are not the voice of reason."

"-I think there's no harm in resting here for a while."

"Huh. Fine then."

Duskbright grinned at them. It was so nice to have other voices again, even if all they did was argue. Maybe that would be annoying if they stayed too long, but right now it was the best thing that had happened in ages. (Not ages. Still not ages.)
More writing. Yay. Apologies for how late all the writing has ended up being.
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Nine[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Shady Highnoon Vest][/center] "I don't see it anywhere." "Went quiet," Willa said, nodding. "Maybe fell." "[i]Fell?[/i]" "Yes. Was flying. Maybe fell. Not flying now, if fell. Gone." "So I chased it all this time for nothing?" "Not nothing. Just not hatchling. But soon." "Soon [i]what?[/i] And please stop being so cryptic." "Soon find hatchling. Not in egg, but not parent near." "And you know this because...?" "Because. I listen." "Oh, of course. You listen, and the invisible nothings tell you there are abandoned hatchlings nearby." "Now [i]you[/i] listen. Good." ----- RNG gave me 3 for the number of hatchlings, so I'll go pick them out in five days. Forgot to mention I flipped a coin for the hatchling I got on day four, and they didn't survive. And I'm all caught up on the writing! @Gender @Twistedstripe
Day Nine
Shady Highnoon Vest

"I don't see it anywhere."

"Went quiet," Willa said, nodding. "Maybe fell."

"Fell?"

"Yes. Was flying. Maybe fell. Not flying now, if fell. Gone."

"So I chased it all this time for nothing?"

"Not nothing. Just not hatchling. But soon."

"Soon what? And please stop being so cryptic."

"Soon find hatchling. Not in egg, but not parent near."

"And you know this because...?"

"Because. I listen."

"Oh, of course. You listen, and the invisible nothings tell you there are abandoned hatchlings nearby."

"Now you listen. Good."
RNG gave me 3 for the number of hatchlings, so I'll go pick them out in five days. Forgot to mention I flipped a coin for the hatchling I got on day four, and they didn't survive. And I'm all caught up on the writing!
@Gender @Twistedstripe
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Ten[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Corroded Iron Nugget][/center] "Okay, look, I know we stuck to the Plague-Wind border on the way out. That was fine, I didn't want to actually go through the Wasteland anyway. But we're definitely heading further into the Windswept Plateau now, and that is not the direction the map says to go." "You can't read map." "I can read it that well! Out to the Starfall Isles! Across the Bay, remember? [i]You[/i] said to go across the Bay, Wils. This is not across the Bay." "Is. Crossed Windstar Bay. Twice." "And you don't see the problem with that?" "No. Find hatchlings. Then cross Windstar Bay. Again." "Again." "Yes." - "Please tell me there's something to [i]do[/i]," Clio said. It was the first time since she'd agreed to rest here that she'd spoken to the other spiral without prompting. He was just so excitable, she didn't want to encourage him. But she was going out of her mind with boredom. Rest was all well and good, but only in moderation. "We can find something to do?" Duskbright offered hesitantly, like he wasn't sure that was the right response. She sighed. "Sure. Fine. How long do you even plan on staying here?" He shrugged with his whole body. "Dunno. I guess til it stops being a nice place to be. It's not like I have anywhere in particular I'm [i]supposed[/i] to be, and yanno, I'm still not really used to how [i]hot[/i] it is here yet." That was another thing. He was always hot. It was ridiculous. It was pleasantly cool in the daytime, and at night... well. [i]She[/i] certainly wasn't complaining about it, and she had every right to. "And there's plenty of food and the company is great, between you and the Whistling Coatl I always have someone to talk to, and the islet is kinda small but there's still all sorts of things to explore." "Okay," she said, "now that's something to do." "You wanna go exploring?" "I want to make an accurate map of the islet. If it's going to be your, for lack of a better word, [i]home[/i], you don't want to be surprised by it." "You [i]do[/i] want to go exploring." She sighed. There really wasn't any use trying to explain the difference to him. "Yes, I want to go exploring. And take lots of notes about it." "Sure, sure, sure, you do the note-taking. I'll do all the messy parts. It'll be fun." ----- Another material. I just want a trinket. Or some food. Something that lets me accomplish something. But no, I have to drag the plot along with nothing. @Gender @Twistedstripe
Day Ten
Corroded Iron Nugget

"Okay, look, I know we stuck to the Plague-Wind border on the way out. That was fine, I didn't want to actually go through the Wasteland anyway. But we're definitely heading further into the Windswept Plateau now, and that is not the direction the map says to go."

"You can't read map."

"I can read it that well! Out to the Starfall Isles! Across the Bay, remember? You said to go across the Bay, Wils. This is not across the Bay."

"Is. Crossed Windstar Bay. Twice."

"And you don't see the problem with that?"

"No. Find hatchlings. Then cross Windstar Bay. Again."

"Again."

"Yes."

-

"Please tell me there's something to do," Clio said. It was the first time since she'd agreed to rest here that she'd spoken to the other spiral without prompting. He was just so excitable, she didn't want to encourage him. But she was going out of her mind with boredom. Rest was all well and good, but only in moderation.

"We can find something to do?" Duskbright offered hesitantly, like he wasn't sure that was the right response.

She sighed. "Sure. Fine. How long do you even plan on staying here?"

He shrugged with his whole body. "Dunno. I guess til it stops being a nice place to be. It's not like I have anywhere in particular I'm supposed to be, and yanno, I'm still not really used to how hot it is here yet."

That was another thing. He was always hot. It was ridiculous. It was pleasantly cool in the daytime, and at night... well. She certainly wasn't complaining about it, and she had every right to.

"And there's plenty of food and the company is great, between you and the Whistling Coatl I always have someone to talk to, and the islet is kinda small but there's still all sorts of things to explore."

"Okay," she said, "now that's something to do."

"You wanna go exploring?"

"I want to make an accurate map of the islet. If it's going to be your, for lack of a better word, home, you don't want to be surprised by it."

"You do want to go exploring."

She sighed. There really wasn't any use trying to explain the difference to him. "Yes, I want to go exploring. And take lots of notes about it."

"Sure, sure, sure, you do the note-taking. I'll do all the messy parts. It'll be fun."
Another material. I just want a trinket. Or some food. Something that lets me accomplish something. But no, I have to drag the plot along with nothing.
@Gender @Twistedstripe
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Eleven[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Berserker][/center] There were two of the long slithery dragons now. Nexus wasn't sure it was an improvement. They mostly kept to themselves, the first one rumbling all the while, and never wanted to share his food. He didn't know what to make of them. The second one watched him, different from the way the first had. The first one had been wary, and while there was caution in the second one, there was none of the same suspicion. She - Lulu said the second one was a she, and he didn't know how to tell if she was right or not - watched him with idle curiousity and sometimes made marks on her parchment while doing it. ----- This was not what I had in mind when I said I wanted to accomplish something. I was so scared to take Clio into the coli for the first time as part of a death streak, and she was never even the one in danger. Dalinar was down to 19 health on the final battle, but thankfully they all survived. The boys didn't level up at all, but Clio hit level 3. @Gender @Twistedstripe
Day Eleven
Berserker

There were two of the long slithery dragons now. Nexus wasn't sure it was an improvement. They mostly kept to themselves, the first one rumbling all the while, and never wanted to share his food. He didn't know what to make of them.

The second one watched him, different from the way the first had. The first one had been wary, and while there was caution in the second one, there was none of the same suspicion. She - Lulu said the second one was a she, and he didn't know how to tell if she was right or not - watched him with idle curiousity and sometimes made marks on her parchment while doing it.
This was not what I had in mind when I said I wanted to accomplish something. I was so scared to take Clio into the coli for the first time as part of a death streak, and she was never even the one in danger. Dalinar was down to 19 health on the final battle, but thankfully they all survived. The boys didn't level up at all, but Clio hit level 3.
@Gender @Twistedstripe
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Twelve[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Bone Fragments][/center] "I think they're talking," Clio said when Duskbright dropped into the tree a few branches above her. She shifted the curl of her lower third around the trunk to allow him to twine himself securely. "The Whistling Coatl and that luna mith, I mean." "Can miths talk? I mean, your Lookout does, but you built that, it's not like it's an animal. Streak doesn't talk. I mean, he's never talked to me, and I think if he was going to talk to anybody it would be to me, since I got lost saving his life and all. I've never met anything other than dragons that talked before." "The beastclans talk," she said. "Even some draconic, some of them." "Oh, wow. I didn't know that. But I guess I don't know a lot of things. It's not like I paid a lot of attention in school. They probably talked about beastclans talking in school. Do you think they did?" "Probably," she agreed. She'd gotten used to his rambling. "So what are they saying?" Clio shrugged. "I haven't figured that part out yet." "Oh." She could hear his scales rustling as he shifted his coils around new branches. "Do you think they understand who we are?" "Depends." "On what?" "Who do you think we are?" "Well, we're friends. Aren't we?" "Yeah, I guess so. I don't know if they know that." "That's sad. I can't imagine seeing someone every day and not knowing we were friends." "I'll tell him," she offered. "When I figure out how. If you want." "That'd be awesome! Do you really think you can figure out how to talk in their whistle language?" She glanced up the tree at him, then back to the Whistling Coatl at the seashore. "Guess I'll find out." ----- Aaaand I'm immediately falling behind on the writing again. Tomorrow. I swear. @Gender @Twistedstripe
Day Twelve
Bone Fragments

"I think they're talking," Clio said when Duskbright dropped into the tree a few branches above her. She shifted the curl of her lower third around the trunk to allow him to twine himself securely. "The Whistling Coatl and that luna mith, I mean."

"Can miths talk? I mean, your Lookout does, but you built that, it's not like it's an animal. Streak doesn't talk. I mean, he's never talked to me, and I think if he was going to talk to anybody it would be to me, since I got lost saving his life and all. I've never met anything other than dragons that talked before."

"The beastclans talk," she said. "Even some draconic, some of them."

"Oh, wow. I didn't know that. But I guess I don't know a lot of things. It's not like I paid a lot of attention in school. They probably talked about beastclans talking in school. Do you think they did?"

"Probably," she agreed. She'd gotten used to his rambling.

"So what are they saying?"

Clio shrugged. "I haven't figured that part out yet."

"Oh." She could hear his scales rustling as he shifted his coils around new branches. "Do you think they understand who we are?"

"Depends."

"On what?"

"Who do you think we are?"

"Well, we're friends. Aren't we?"

"Yeah, I guess so. I don't know if they know that."

"That's sad. I can't imagine seeing someone every day and not knowing we were friends."

"I'll tell him," she offered. "When I figure out how. If you want."

"That'd be awesome! Do you really think you can figure out how to talk in their whistle language?"

She glanced up the tree at him, then back to the Whistling Coatl at the seashore. "Guess I'll find out."
Aaaand I'm immediately falling behind on the writing again. Tomorrow. I swear.
@Gender @Twistedstripe
wgkyULV.png
[center][size=6][b][u][i]Day Thirteen[/i][/u][/b][/size][/center] [center][item=Dusty Cicada][/center] [i]The boy is tone deaf,[/i] Lulu whistled. Nexus didn't bother to stop straightening his feathers. [i]Absolutely useless. We could have never taken him in.[/i] [i]You could barely take [/i]me[i] in. Obviously.[/i] He gestured widely at the islet they were stranded on. [i]Can't even make it to the summer home.[/i] [i]You'll make it.[/i] [i]You know I won't![/i] It came out too shrill, more profane than he'd intended it. He dragged his pitch back down. [i]I won't. I can't stay in the air long enough to cross the water.[/i] [i]We'll talk about it when you've finished with your sulking.[/i] She fluttered away from the water, into the shade of the trees. ----- I took Duskbright, Nexus, and Clio into the coli today. Clio levelled up a couple times, but the boys are still lagging. I miss the days when they'd go through a handfull of levels at a time. @Gender @Twistedstripe
Day Thirteen
Dusty Cicada

The boy is tone deaf, Lulu whistled. Nexus didn't bother to stop straightening his feathers. Absolutely useless. We could have never taken him in.

You could barely take me in. Obviously. He gestured widely at the islet they were stranded on. Can't even make it to the summer home.

You'll make it.

You know I won't! It came out too shrill, more profane than he'd intended it. He dragged his pitch back down. I won't. I can't stay in the air long enough to cross the water.

We'll talk about it when you've finished with your sulking. She fluttered away from the water, into the shade of the trees.
I took Duskbright, Nexus, and Clio into the coli today. Clio levelled up a couple times, but the boys are still lagging. I miss the days when they'd go through a handfull of levels at a time.
@Gender @Twistedstripe
wgkyULV.png
1 2 3 4 5 6