Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | catching, battling, training, collecting
Any games Like this?
Any games Like this?
Pokemon is the most famous example of a game that has those aspects as its main gameplay loop.

If you're looking for something other than Pokemon, it'd be helpful to know what platforms are available to you. (older consoles, newer consoles, mobile, PC?) Any specific genre you're looking for? (RPG, sim, webgame, etc.)

I can throw out some of my personal recommendations:

- The Monster Rancher franchise offers a good quality creature raising sim.
You shrine critters, train them on your ranch, then take them into battle. The goal is to make your way to Master Breeder rank, but there are other things to do and unlock along the way!

I'd recommend Monster Rancher 2 (Playstation) or Monster Rancher 1&2 DX (a recent rerelease of the first two games with some bug fixes! Nintendo Switch), Monster Rancher DS (Nintendo DS), or Monster Rancher 4 (Playstation 2). The second game is considered the best in the franchise, but the above are all very solid entries!

Though, "Collecting" might be a little lacking if that's an important aspect for you, however. Items and monster encylopedia/cards entries can be "collected", but it's nowhere near the same as 'mon/pet collecting games.

- Azure Dreams is an old RPG roguelike for the Playstation that fulfils the battling, training and collecting aspect. "catching" exists in the form of finding monster eggs in the tower and hatching them in your hut at home.

- Digimon World: Dusk/Dawn (Nintendo DS). You can scan (capture), train, battle and collect hundreds of different Digimon. It plays like a pretty basic RPG, though it's not for everyone as it has some of the grindiest design and most confusing maps I've experienced. Not the greatest Digimon game, but playable.

Pokemon is the most famous example of a game that has those aspects as its main gameplay loop.

If you're looking for something other than Pokemon, it'd be helpful to know what platforms are available to you. (older consoles, newer consoles, mobile, PC?) Any specific genre you're looking for? (RPG, sim, webgame, etc.)

I can throw out some of my personal recommendations:

- The Monster Rancher franchise offers a good quality creature raising sim.
You shrine critters, train them on your ranch, then take them into battle. The goal is to make your way to Master Breeder rank, but there are other things to do and unlock along the way!

I'd recommend Monster Rancher 2 (Playstation) or Monster Rancher 1&2 DX (a recent rerelease of the first two games with some bug fixes! Nintendo Switch), Monster Rancher DS (Nintendo DS), or Monster Rancher 4 (Playstation 2). The second game is considered the best in the franchise, but the above are all very solid entries!

Though, "Collecting" might be a little lacking if that's an important aspect for you, however. Items and monster encylopedia/cards entries can be "collected", but it's nowhere near the same as 'mon/pet collecting games.

- Azure Dreams is an old RPG roguelike for the Playstation that fulfils the battling, training and collecting aspect. "catching" exists in the form of finding monster eggs in the tower and hatching them in your hut at home.

- Digimon World: Dusk/Dawn (Nintendo DS). You can scan (capture), train, battle and collect hundreds of different Digimon. It plays like a pretty basic RPG, though it's not for everyone as it has some of the grindiest design and most confusing maps I've experienced. Not the greatest Digimon game, but playable.

shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.