Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | How to Write Character Lore?
I just can't get started on making lore for my characters and I wanted to know if any of you have FR specific character/world building tips?
I just can't get started on making lore for my characters and I wanted to know if any of you have FR specific character/world building tips?
I would start with a general idea of your character's personality. From there, I look at the encyclopedia for FR specific characteristics of the dragon breed and then write them in as needed. Sometimes I ignore them or they don't play a large role in a character's development (my ranger who lives in the woods doesn't have a reason the breed's fear of water would come up) and I leave them off. It gets easier after you get started because you can then write your character interacting with the others. PM me if you have any more questions or if you're interested in joint lore!
I would start with a general idea of your character's personality. From there, I look at the encyclopedia for FR specific characteristics of the dragon breed and then write them in as needed. Sometimes I ignore them or they don't play a large role in a character's development (my ranger who lives in the woods doesn't have a reason the breed's fear of water would come up) and I leave them off. It gets easier after you get started because you can then write your character interacting with the others. PM me if you have any more questions or if you're interested in joint lore!
BiYzByz.gif6z1gQFM.png FI4rElJ.png asexual_zpscvse3pjl.pngN6rygcH.pngkPMrajo.pnglnrYYwg.pngtumblr_o1cb6f8u9h1unhfhho3_r3_100.png
eZ5CPeG.gif

tumblr_ny7bkbgNXY1s88na0o1_400.png

uw3nPsd.png

yxjAjIa.png
rB3k2Un.png
57hQ131.png
Depends on if you're more interested in making the characters the focus, or the plot they're in. Both are totally valid, and FR I think leans towards the former.

If you want to make the characters the focus, then you want to start with them, of course. Pick a dragon, any dragon, and think up traits for them - likes, dislikes, backstory, what their job is, how they fit (or don't fit) the breed/elemental traits ascribed to them.... anything you can think of. Doesn't have to be coherent or wordy; you can just slap a couple of adjectives down that are the Vibe you get from looking at them. I know jack about tarot but that's absolutely a workable starting point - you can do something like, how the traits of each card is reflected in the dragon. What positive aspects, what negative aspects - what caused those traits, and how do those traits interact to form a coherent whole? What role does their breed and/or flight have in these traits? Did an impulsive Earth dragon have issues with his hatchclan or parents? You get the idea.
Once you've got that done, you can do a couple others in the same way - from there you might have some kind of overarching idea for a group/clan forming. If you end up with a bunch of, say, gardeners, you can build the idea for the clan around that. What are a bunch of gardeners - or whatever - doing in Plague territory? Do a bunch of them have similar motives, backstories, or desires? You can make a clan directive out of that. Maybe you decided a bunch of them were orphans, or castaways, or exiles; maybe they came together as a kind of found family. Maybe a whole bunch of them like familiars; perhaps they're running a rescue, or a zoo. You don't even really have to come up with a story, per se - just a location and/or directive that ties them together. (Or not! You could do a whole bunch of people or groups that have little to nothing to do with each other. Easier to do them as a group or two, though.)

If you want to make a plot and have it be the focus, then your best bet is reading through FR's official lore and taking note of the bits you think are the most interesting. Obvs Plague as a Flight called to you in some way - what part of that interests you? I see you set your location at the Blight Sanctum, so maybe there's a story that goes with that. From there you can think about what the Sanctum has in terms of staff - and what it would need to function. There's a lot that goes into building and maintaining a building like that; perhaps your clan is part of the support staff, or are couriers that keep supplies moving to it? Or perhaps they run the Sanctum itself - what kind of people would be doing that? Lots of different kinds of mages and scholars, and some more admin/governmental types too, and all those people might want or need assistants... They'd need protection too, from other Flights, from beastclans, from wildlife, maybe from extradimensional threats? Maybe you have an idea about some kind of experiment that went wrong - or right? Maybe there's a spy or saboteur?
From there you can assign dragons to whatever roles your plot requires, with the same method as the character-focused method above - though in this case you'd be creating them to fit the plot rather than the other way around, so they'll probably end up changed quite a bit by the end of it.

...That became long as all hell, I'm sorry lol - hopefully it helped some tho :D
Depends on if you're more interested in making the characters the focus, or the plot they're in. Both are totally valid, and FR I think leans towards the former.

If you want to make the characters the focus, then you want to start with them, of course. Pick a dragon, any dragon, and think up traits for them - likes, dislikes, backstory, what their job is, how they fit (or don't fit) the breed/elemental traits ascribed to them.... anything you can think of. Doesn't have to be coherent or wordy; you can just slap a couple of adjectives down that are the Vibe you get from looking at them. I know jack about tarot but that's absolutely a workable starting point - you can do something like, how the traits of each card is reflected in the dragon. What positive aspects, what negative aspects - what caused those traits, and how do those traits interact to form a coherent whole? What role does their breed and/or flight have in these traits? Did an impulsive Earth dragon have issues with his hatchclan or parents? You get the idea.
Once you've got that done, you can do a couple others in the same way - from there you might have some kind of overarching idea for a group/clan forming. If you end up with a bunch of, say, gardeners, you can build the idea for the clan around that. What are a bunch of gardeners - or whatever - doing in Plague territory? Do a bunch of them have similar motives, backstories, or desires? You can make a clan directive out of that. Maybe you decided a bunch of them were orphans, or castaways, or exiles; maybe they came together as a kind of found family. Maybe a whole bunch of them like familiars; perhaps they're running a rescue, or a zoo. You don't even really have to come up with a story, per se - just a location and/or directive that ties them together. (Or not! You could do a whole bunch of people or groups that have little to nothing to do with each other. Easier to do them as a group or two, though.)

If you want to make a plot and have it be the focus, then your best bet is reading through FR's official lore and taking note of the bits you think are the most interesting. Obvs Plague as a Flight called to you in some way - what part of that interests you? I see you set your location at the Blight Sanctum, so maybe there's a story that goes with that. From there you can think about what the Sanctum has in terms of staff - and what it would need to function. There's a lot that goes into building and maintaining a building like that; perhaps your clan is part of the support staff, or are couriers that keep supplies moving to it? Or perhaps they run the Sanctum itself - what kind of people would be doing that? Lots of different kinds of mages and scholars, and some more admin/governmental types too, and all those people might want or need assistants... They'd need protection too, from other Flights, from beastclans, from wildlife, maybe from extradimensional threats? Maybe you have an idea about some kind of experiment that went wrong - or right? Maybe there's a spy or saboteur?
From there you can assign dragons to whatever roles your plot requires, with the same method as the character-focused method above - though in this case you'd be creating them to fit the plot rather than the other way around, so they'll probably end up changed quite a bit by the end of it.

...That became long as all hell, I'm sorry lol - hopefully it helped some tho :D
RUZTraI.png JTWHxfW.gif ======
13thKingdom wrote:
Lightweaver is clearly our Grand Nagus anyway.
She's got the biggest lobes.