Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Would love some help and advice!
Hello beautiful people of Flight Rising, it's been a very long time since I've been into this corner of the internet. Hope you all are doing well and taking good care of yourselves! I actually found myself coming back here because I was recently commissioned to do a little drawing of someone's Imperial, unfortunately due to circumstances beyond their control, they had to cancel it. Which was totally understandable, but I now have a line art base drawing that looks sad with no colour on. :( That's why I had an idea, to maybe auction it or if there's enough interest, raffle it? Haven't really done anything like this before. That's why I figured maybe i could share my thoughts on this and ask for your opinion on the matter . Any and all advise would be appreciated! <3 Anyway, this is the line art in question: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/QN1fFW1c/flight-rising-template-imperial-2.png[/img] Originally it was commissioned to be a flat colour with cell shading and no extra apparel. Dragon in question didn't have any skins or accent's on and their patterning wasn't overly complicated. It was supposed to payed for in euro but if I was to offer it here I would convert it into equivalent amount of gold/gems. Either or, whichever would suit people more. Of course I would be happy to change the line-art slightly. For example add some simple apparel, like one or two, nothing to crazy. I have no problem with skins or accent's or more complicated apparel but i feel like more changes and more additions would require me to adjust the pricing of the piece. And I don't think that would be fair, So I think it would be best to offer it as is. (At the same time i don't want to limit anyone too much considering as the line-art is already quite limiting in terms of what dragon breed and pose it is in.) I would really appreciate any and all advise, if you have suggestions on how I could go about doing either an auction or a raffle or maybe you have other ideas, I would love to hear about it! :)
Hello beautiful people of Flight Rising, it's been a very long time since I've been into this corner of the internet. Hope you all are doing well and taking good care of yourselves!

I actually found myself coming back here because I was recently commissioned to do a little drawing of someone's Imperial, unfortunately due to circumstances beyond their control, they had to cancel it. Which was totally understandable, but I now have a line art base drawing that looks sad with no colour on. :(

That's why I had an idea, to maybe auction it or if there's enough interest, raffle it?

Haven't really done anything like this before. That's why I figured maybe i could share my thoughts on this and ask for your opinion on the matter .
Any and all advise would be appreciated! <3

Anyway, this is the line art in question:

flight-rising-template-imperial-2.png

Originally it was commissioned to be a flat colour with cell shading and no extra apparel. Dragon in question didn't have any skins or accent's on and their patterning wasn't overly complicated.
It was supposed to payed for in euro but if I was to offer it here I would convert it into equivalent amount of gold/gems. Either or, whichever would suit people more.

Of course I would be happy to change the line-art slightly.
For example add some simple apparel, like one or two, nothing to crazy.

I have no problem with skins or accent's or more complicated apparel but i feel like more changes and more additions would require me to adjust the pricing of the piece. And I don't think that would be fair,
So I think it would be best to offer it as is.
(At the same time i don't want to limit anyone too much considering as the line-art is already quite limiting in terms of what dragon breed and pose it is in.)

I would really appreciate any and all advise, if you have suggestions on how I could go about doing either an auction or a raffle or maybe you have other ideas, I would love to hear about it! :)
@Lumien
It's a very pretty base! I'm sure someone would be willing to pay for it as an YCH.

Alternatively, you could maybe turn it into a limited-run adopt? It's nice enough on it's own that you wouldn't need shading I think, and you could say no apparel as well as make people pay extra for genes that you haven't drawn yet in order to save time.
@Lumien
It's a very pretty base! I'm sure someone would be willing to pay for it as an YCH.

Alternatively, you could maybe turn it into a limited-run adopt? It's nice enough on it's own that you wouldn't need shading I think, and you could say no apparel as well as make people pay extra for genes that you haven't drawn yet in order to save time.
by-knighterrant.png
@Anchoram

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words from a fellow artist! And so talented at that! (Hope you don't mind that I had a lil snoop into your art shop. Your colour work is fantastic <3)

I'm honestly very inexperienced in selling art in any other ways then commissions. I'm not at all hooked on gaining a lot out of it either, I just hate seeing a line-art go to waste ^^'

A limited-run adopt sounds like a great idea! I would definitely consider it as an option. But would you be so kind and explain to me how would adopts work in here? I mean my understanding of an adoptables is selling just the designs of characters, but I can't imagine how would one go about it in here considering there wouldn't be a 'physical' dragon like that to go with the art.

I think I would be leaning more towards selling it as YCH as you suggested, but the adoptable idea does intrigue me. :P

Would it be ok of me to ask you how do you, or from your experience, others, usually go about pricing?
I would hate to offend people by asking for too much or on the other hand, under price my own work. ^^'
Originally I though about converting the original price of a commission into FR currencies but that might not translate well.
@Anchoram

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words from a fellow artist! And so talented at that! (Hope you don't mind that I had a lil snoop into your art shop. Your colour work is fantastic <3)

I'm honestly very inexperienced in selling art in any other ways then commissions. I'm not at all hooked on gaining a lot out of it either, I just hate seeing a line-art go to waste ^^'

A limited-run adopt sounds like a great idea! I would definitely consider it as an option. But would you be so kind and explain to me how would adopts work in here? I mean my understanding of an adoptables is selling just the designs of characters, but I can't imagine how would one go about it in here considering there wouldn't be a 'physical' dragon like that to go with the art.

I think I would be leaning more towards selling it as YCH as you suggested, but the adoptable idea does intrigue me. :P

Would it be ok of me to ask you how do you, or from your experience, others, usually go about pricing?
I would hate to offend people by asking for too much or on the other hand, under price my own work. ^^'
Originally I though about converting the original price of a commission into FR currencies but that might not translate well.
@Lumien
I'm very happy to hear that you like my art! <3

The way adopts work on FR is quite different than the traditional term for the word yes. What it is, is basically an YCH albeit often mass-produced and much simpler than what you'll find on dA/FA/IG etc. The artist makes a set-price for the adopt, and then customers bring in their dragons so that you can colour the base to their likeness. It's common to organise your layers so that after the initial drawing of a gene is done, it's easy to just recolour it for a new dragon with the same gene. Often, so that the artist doesn't have to draw all genes onsite, they'll require an additional fee from the first customer for the time it'll take them to draw the gene. After this initial customer has 'unlocked' the gene, it's common to make it available for other customers.
Adopts are a bit of work to set-up, but once that's done it's easy to sell a lot of them, and usually at a slightly lower price point than an original art piece in order to attract more customers.

Pricing is always hard. I wish I could say you should go for an absolute minimum of $10 x hours spent, but unfortunately FR like a lot of the internet, is notoriously bad when it comes to giving artists a fair wage and a lot of us here are guilty of undercharging ourselves.
However, maybe you could try asking for 2000g for it but then with a simpler shading style?
@Lumien
I'm very happy to hear that you like my art! <3

The way adopts work on FR is quite different than the traditional term for the word yes. What it is, is basically an YCH albeit often mass-produced and much simpler than what you'll find on dA/FA/IG etc. The artist makes a set-price for the adopt, and then customers bring in their dragons so that you can colour the base to their likeness. It's common to organise your layers so that after the initial drawing of a gene is done, it's easy to just recolour it for a new dragon with the same gene. Often, so that the artist doesn't have to draw all genes onsite, they'll require an additional fee from the first customer for the time it'll take them to draw the gene. After this initial customer has 'unlocked' the gene, it's common to make it available for other customers.
Adopts are a bit of work to set-up, but once that's done it's easy to sell a lot of them, and usually at a slightly lower price point than an original art piece in order to attract more customers.

Pricing is always hard. I wish I could say you should go for an absolute minimum of $10 x hours spent, but unfortunately FR like a lot of the internet, is notoriously bad when it comes to giving artists a fair wage and a lot of us here are guilty of undercharging ourselves.
However, maybe you could try asking for 2000g for it but then with a simpler shading style?
by-knighterrant.png
@Anchoram

Of course! I’m a sucker for good art so I’m happy to appreciate it when I see it :)

Thank you so much for explaining, I had a sneaky suspicion it would work differently. The way you explain it makes so much sense.
So it’s practically a YCH with some unlock pattern system. I do like it quite a lot, makes it a bit more interesting then your standard adopts.
It does sound like a lot of work though! I’m not sure will I have time for this coming to Christmas now but I think I’ll try this with a different base in the new year when I’ll have bit more time!

Oh don’t I know that problem... it is an unfortunate fate of artists in the internet.
That’s why I need to do my research on how things are ran here. Don’t want to step on anyone’s toes like hahahaha :D

I do like your suggestion! 2000g sound reasonable. I thought it might be bit much when I first seen it but then I looked into the the exchange rates for the currencies.
Nad oh boy I’m getting weird numbers that are in my eyes waaay to expensive for what the currencies are. ^^’

It costs you $5 to get 500 gems from FR so my line of thought was to calculate what would be an equivalent of the commission price in gems and then translate it to an alternative treasure price. Originally the finished commission was agreed to be €25 which is few cents shy of $30
But following my logic $30 is equal to 3k gems which in a 1:1000 ratio of gems to treasure I found in forums to pop quite a lot, the price in astronomical number That honestly scares me.

So, now that I look back at it, your suggestion of 2000g sounds waaaaay more reasonable. :D
Maybe I should even go a lil bit less just to balance the treasure option a little bit, it still looks like a hell lot of treasure for me. But I also remember times of FR when getting treasure wasn’t that easy so I might be thinking about it in a wrong way.

Anyway, thank you so much for all your help and suggestions! I know I ramble a lot And I’m extremely grateful for your patience in explaining things to me! <3
I genuinely just want to warm my head around how things like that are done here and offer the best price for everyone.

Do you think running it as a Raffle might be a good idea?
Sell ‘tickets’ for like a 1g or 1000t and then do a random pick of a winner in the end?
Or is it not really anything that people in here would be interested in and I should abandon this idea altogether?
@Anchoram

Of course! I’m a sucker for good art so I’m happy to appreciate it when I see it :)

Thank you so much for explaining, I had a sneaky suspicion it would work differently. The way you explain it makes so much sense.
So it’s practically a YCH with some unlock pattern system. I do like it quite a lot, makes it a bit more interesting then your standard adopts.
It does sound like a lot of work though! I’m not sure will I have time for this coming to Christmas now but I think I’ll try this with a different base in the new year when I’ll have bit more time!

Oh don’t I know that problem... it is an unfortunate fate of artists in the internet.
That’s why I need to do my research on how things are ran here. Don’t want to step on anyone’s toes like hahahaha :D

I do like your suggestion! 2000g sound reasonable. I thought it might be bit much when I first seen it but then I looked into the the exchange rates for the currencies.
Nad oh boy I’m getting weird numbers that are in my eyes waaay to expensive for what the currencies are. ^^’

It costs you $5 to get 500 gems from FR so my line of thought was to calculate what would be an equivalent of the commission price in gems and then translate it to an alternative treasure price. Originally the finished commission was agreed to be €25 which is few cents shy of $30
But following my logic $30 is equal to 3k gems which in a 1:1000 ratio of gems to treasure I found in forums to pop quite a lot, the price in astronomical number That honestly scares me.

So, now that I look back at it, your suggestion of 2000g sounds waaaaay more reasonable. :D
Maybe I should even go a lil bit less just to balance the treasure option a little bit, it still looks like a hell lot of treasure for me. But I also remember times of FR when getting treasure wasn’t that easy so I might be thinking about it in a wrong way.

Anyway, thank you so much for all your help and suggestions! I know I ramble a lot And I’m extremely grateful for your patience in explaining things to me! <3
I genuinely just want to warm my head around how things like that are done here and offer the best price for everyone.

Do you think running it as a Raffle might be a good idea?
Sell ‘tickets’ for like a 1g or 1000t and then do a random pick of a winner in the end?
Or is it not really anything that people in here would be interested in and I should abandon this idea altogether?
@Lumien

It's definitely a lot more work in the beginning, but then once you've got the groundwork down you just have to colour pick per new dragon and can take a lot of orders pretty fast.

I mean, if you ask me then €25 for a fully coloured fullbody piece is already very very low unless you work extremely fast :P And 3kg isn't that much really, considering for example how accent makers usually take up to around 1000g for their accents and a lot more for custom made ones. I know I'm being a hypocrite in that regard because my own prices are around that level, but I excuse that with considering it as part of playing the game as a hobby, and that I earn more gems per hour drawing than I do grinding in the coliseum.

I'm not overly familiar with how popular raffles are on this site, but my gut feeling is to say that I don't think it's the best idea. Say you sell a ticket for 1000t, then that means that you'll have to sell at least 1000 tickets in order to gain 1000kg, and that's already not a good price for it. I think you'll have better profit with the YCH or adopt route.

@Lumien

It's definitely a lot more work in the beginning, but then once you've got the groundwork down you just have to colour pick per new dragon and can take a lot of orders pretty fast.

I mean, if you ask me then €25 for a fully coloured fullbody piece is already very very low unless you work extremely fast :P And 3kg isn't that much really, considering for example how accent makers usually take up to around 1000g for their accents and a lot more for custom made ones. I know I'm being a hypocrite in that regard because my own prices are around that level, but I excuse that with considering it as part of playing the game as a hobby, and that I earn more gems per hour drawing than I do grinding in the coliseum.

I'm not overly familiar with how popular raffles are on this site, but my gut feeling is to say that I don't think it's the best idea. Say you sell a ticket for 1000t, then that means that you'll have to sell at least 1000 tickets in order to gain 1000kg, and that's already not a good price for it. I think you'll have better profit with the YCH or adopt route.

by-knighterrant.png