Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Anyone willing to help a tabletop noob
Not really good on money but willing to learn
Not really good on money but willing to learn
18.jpg
@gabbypie64 what help are you looking for?
@gabbypie64 what help are you looking for?
Please click on my babies!
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
@gabbypie64 [quote name="SallyJane" date="2018-12-24 23:12:39" ] what help are you looking for? [/quote] This ^ Not sure what you're looking for - game recommendations, rule breakdowns, a group to play with, campaign ideas, etc.? I'd be happy to help however I can, but I'd appreciate some specifics ^^
@gabbypie64
SallyJane wrote on 2018-12-24 23:12:39:
what help are you looking for?
This ^

Not sure what you're looking for - game recommendations, rule breakdowns, a group to play with, campaign ideas, etc.? I'd be happy to help however I can, but I'd appreciate some specifics ^^
e1po1oY.png xZ13MZk.png kd85lth.png
I want a group who is not afraid of teaching a newcomer and to playwith me,
my family owns the Pathfinder beginner box if that helps.

@Licorictus
@SallyJane
I want a group who is not afraid of teaching a newcomer and to playwith me,
my family owns the Pathfinder beginner box if that helps.

@Licorictus
@SallyJane
18.jpg
@gabbypie64 I'm perfectly happy to teach you and help you with Flight Rising. As for "playing with you" - as you are mentioning what I believe is another game, I'm not so sure about this bit. I play a couple of games other than FR, but the only fully animated one I play is Star Stable.
@gabbypie64 I'm perfectly happy to teach you and help you with Flight Rising. As for "playing with you" - as you are mentioning what I believe is another game, I'm not so sure about this bit. I play a couple of games other than FR, but the only fully animated one I play is Star Stable.
Please click on my babies!
FR time+17
Art-Shop-Button.jpg
Coatl-WC-Imp-Button.png
Wn6vGC1.png
Bb9XFYa.png
7A7cEAI.png
tNgQJvM.png
fDSaoY3.png
NN9NPXA.png
jccRWgS.png
40QQWBU.png
o4KdtaP.png
@SallyJane

She's talking about learning to play the tabletop RPG Pathfinder, and finding a group to play that with.

@gabbiepie64

I haven't played Pathfinder before, but I'm starting to get into DMing D&D 5e! Not sure how much I can help you with the actual rules and mechanics if Pathfinder's what you're after, but I can offer some real simple tips for playing tabletop RPGs in general ^^
@SallyJane

She's talking about learning to play the tabletop RPG Pathfinder, and finding a group to play that with.

@gabbiepie64

I haven't played Pathfinder before, but I'm starting to get into DMing D&D 5e! Not sure how much I can help you with the actual rules and mechanics if Pathfinder's what you're after, but I can offer some real simple tips for playing tabletop RPGs in general ^^
@Licorictus
General tips would be fine, mostly am just looking to socialize as well as stretch my creative muscles.
@Licorictus
General tips would be fine, mostly am just looking to socialize as well as stretch my creative muscles.
18.jpg
@gabbypie64

Right on! Tabletop RPGs are great for both those things!

I think the most important part of playing a tabletop RPG is the group of people you're playing with. You guys can know the rulebook front-and-back and be running a Tolkien-level high fantasy story, or you could have no idea what's going on and have the game devolve into memes, and you'll still have fun as long as your group is fun to play with. On the other hand, the adventure and characters you're playing can be engaging and fun to work with, but if you're not playing with the right group it can be a real chore. It can take some trial and error to find a group you like, and that's OK!

There's no gold standard for how much roleplay is expected of players - that's part of finding your group. Some groups like to get really into character, and some aren't super interested in that, etc. etc. it's just about finding people that fit your style. But, regardless of what your group likes, there are some people that nobody wants to play with, so...

Try not to be these players! I've met all of these guys at least once, and it's made me a lot more mindful of how I'm playing, and whether what I'm doing is keeping someone else from having a good time.
  • The self-inserter, who takes everything personally and gets royally upset when their character gets their way! These guys have a hard time remembering that they're a fictional character in a game, and it's alright to not get what you want.
  • The rules lawyer, who only cares about the rules when they can manipulate them to their advantage. It's hypocritical, it slows the game down, and it gets tiring really fast.
  • The metagamer, who can't seem to separate OOC knowledge from IC knowledge. Their character tends to seem psychic or something, because they often act according to player knowledge that the character shouldn't have.
  • The "campaign mode" guy, who keeps wrestling the spotlight away from other characters. Everybody likes their character to get a bit of attention / recognition / glory, but this guy doesn't seem to realize they're playing a multiplayer game.

So, to sum up: don't be afraid to let bad things happen to your character, try not to mix up OOC and IC knowledge, and let the other players have some time in the sun. It makes the game more fun!

Also, if you're the GM:
  • You're the narrator of the story, so everything in the game is filtered through you. Everyone's relying on you for environment descriptions, quests and rewards, and everything all the NPCs are doing. Don't take on too many players, or you could get overwhelmed! 3-4 people is generally a pretty good group size, I've found.
  • There's a lot of improv involved. No matter how many scenarios you plan for, someone will try something you never even considered an option. It's good to be aware of that so you're mentally prepared when someone, for example, sets an entire forest on fire after coming across a ransacked wagon. Yeah, that happened.
  • It's OK to deviate from the rules. The rulebooks are guidelines and starting points, but if you feel like some rule is unnecessary or you'd just rather not use it, there's nothing stopping you from dropping it. Some of the often-ignored rules that my groups disregarded include carrying capacity, rations, and buying spell components.
  • It's probably a good idea to let your players know some basic information about the setting the game is taking place in before they make their characters. Just the kind of stuff their characters would already know from living there, that kind of thing. Otherwise, someone might make, for example, a super-cool ranger that's excellent at fighting undead and navigating the Underdark... only to find out that the whole game takes place in a giant grassland and literally none of the enemies are undead.
  • Don't be afraid to silently switch some things around if things aren't going the way you intended. If you meant for the party to get to a town at the end of a path, and they left the path and are now wandering through the woods, you don't have to scramble to put something in the middle of the woods or find a reason to get them back on the path. Just have them find the town anyway, and nobody will have to know that you originally planned for it to be somewhere else :P

Sorry for the long post! I get excited over tabletop RPGs, and I get talkative when I'm excited, haha. I'd be happy to talk about this stuff even more, if you'd like! ^^;
@gabbypie64

Right on! Tabletop RPGs are great for both those things!

I think the most important part of playing a tabletop RPG is the group of people you're playing with. You guys can know the rulebook front-and-back and be running a Tolkien-level high fantasy story, or you could have no idea what's going on and have the game devolve into memes, and you'll still have fun as long as your group is fun to play with. On the other hand, the adventure and characters you're playing can be engaging and fun to work with, but if you're not playing with the right group it can be a real chore. It can take some trial and error to find a group you like, and that's OK!

There's no gold standard for how much roleplay is expected of players - that's part of finding your group. Some groups like to get really into character, and some aren't super interested in that, etc. etc. it's just about finding people that fit your style. But, regardless of what your group likes, there are some people that nobody wants to play with, so...

Try not to be these players! I've met all of these guys at least once, and it's made me a lot more mindful of how I'm playing, and whether what I'm doing is keeping someone else from having a good time.
  • The self-inserter, who takes everything personally and gets royally upset when their character gets their way! These guys have a hard time remembering that they're a fictional character in a game, and it's alright to not get what you want.
  • The rules lawyer, who only cares about the rules when they can manipulate them to their advantage. It's hypocritical, it slows the game down, and it gets tiring really fast.
  • The metagamer, who can't seem to separate OOC knowledge from IC knowledge. Their character tends to seem psychic or something, because they often act according to player knowledge that the character shouldn't have.
  • The "campaign mode" guy, who keeps wrestling the spotlight away from other characters. Everybody likes their character to get a bit of attention / recognition / glory, but this guy doesn't seem to realize they're playing a multiplayer game.

So, to sum up: don't be afraid to let bad things happen to your character, try not to mix up OOC and IC knowledge, and let the other players have some time in the sun. It makes the game more fun!

Also, if you're the GM:
  • You're the narrator of the story, so everything in the game is filtered through you. Everyone's relying on you for environment descriptions, quests and rewards, and everything all the NPCs are doing. Don't take on too many players, or you could get overwhelmed! 3-4 people is generally a pretty good group size, I've found.
  • There's a lot of improv involved. No matter how many scenarios you plan for, someone will try something you never even considered an option. It's good to be aware of that so you're mentally prepared when someone, for example, sets an entire forest on fire after coming across a ransacked wagon. Yeah, that happened.
  • It's OK to deviate from the rules. The rulebooks are guidelines and starting points, but if you feel like some rule is unnecessary or you'd just rather not use it, there's nothing stopping you from dropping it. Some of the often-ignored rules that my groups disregarded include carrying capacity, rations, and buying spell components.
  • It's probably a good idea to let your players know some basic information about the setting the game is taking place in before they make their characters. Just the kind of stuff their characters would already know from living there, that kind of thing. Otherwise, someone might make, for example, a super-cool ranger that's excellent at fighting undead and navigating the Underdark... only to find out that the whole game takes place in a giant grassland and literally none of the enemies are undead.
  • Don't be afraid to silently switch some things around if things aren't going the way you intended. If you meant for the party to get to a town at the end of a path, and they left the path and are now wandering through the woods, you don't have to scramble to put something in the middle of the woods or find a reason to get them back on the path. Just have them find the town anyway, and nobody will have to know that you originally planned for it to be somewhere else :P

Sorry for the long post! I get excited over tabletop RPGs, and I get talkative when I'm excited, haha. I'd be happy to talk about this stuff even more, if you'd like! ^^;