Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Studding, Bidding, & Diet Choice
Okay, so it's really three suggestions in one, but they're all additions I personally would love seeing implemented into the site;

Public Studding:
A feature I've see on most genetic-based virtual pet breeding sites, but for some reason has never been a part of Flight Rising. For anyone unaware what studding is, it's the ability to list your pet - much like selling them - but specifically for breeding purposes. I understand there are some flaws in attempting to implement this idea, particularly due to the cooldown ratio {Side - and off topic - note: can someone explain to me why bulls and cows have the same breeding cooldown? I understand for the female, needing to nurture her young, but males of most species are capable of reproducing immediately; was it just a simplification of coding?}, but imagine how convenient it would be, particularly for breeding projects!

Auction Bidding:
We have an Auction House, so why don't we have the capabilities of actually auctioning items and dragons? I love the idea of an auto-buy capacity, but I would greatly enjoy seeing the addition of being able to post bids on items or dragons as well.

<< EDIT >>
I forgot to add Diet Choice to the original post;

Diet Choice
I've noticed that many draconian species have the capabilities of feasting on multiple different varieties of food, but only ever eat from the first listed category. Could a feature be added where a player could select which category - of those listed for said dragon - a dragon feasts from?
Okay, so it's really three suggestions in one, but they're all additions I personally would love seeing implemented into the site;

Public Studding:
A feature I've see on most genetic-based virtual pet breeding sites, but for some reason has never been a part of Flight Rising. For anyone unaware what studding is, it's the ability to list your pet - much like selling them - but specifically for breeding purposes. I understand there are some flaws in attempting to implement this idea, particularly due to the cooldown ratio {Side - and off topic - note: can someone explain to me why bulls and cows have the same breeding cooldown? I understand for the female, needing to nurture her young, but males of most species are capable of reproducing immediately; was it just a simplification of coding?}, but imagine how convenient it would be, particularly for breeding projects!

Auction Bidding:
We have an Auction House, so why don't we have the capabilities of actually auctioning items and dragons? I love the idea of an auto-buy capacity, but I would greatly enjoy seeing the addition of being able to post bids on items or dragons as well.

<< EDIT >>
I forgot to add Diet Choice to the original post;

Diet Choice
I've noticed that many draconian species have the capabilities of feasting on multiple different varieties of food, but only ever eat from the first listed category. Could a feature be added where a player could select which category - of those listed for said dragon - a dragon feasts from?
tumblr_inline_nwugxzMDyv1t7d5o3_500.gif
[quote]I've noticed that many draconian species have the capabilities of feasting on multiple different varieties of food, but only ever eat from the first listed category. Could a feature be added where a player could select which category - of those listed for said dragon - a dragon feasts from?[/quote] No support for cherry-picking food eaten as this would ruin the market for anyone who makes their living selling food. Support for randomizing the omnivores. [quote]A feature I've see on most genetic-based virtual pet breeding sites, but for some reason has never been a part of Flight Rising. For anyone unaware what studding is, it's the ability to list your pet - much like selling them - but specifically for breeding purposes. I understand there are some flaws in attempting to implement this idea, particularly due to the cooldown ratio {Side - and off topic - note: can someone explain to me why bulls and cows have the same breeding cooldown? I understand for the female, needing to nurture her young, but males of most species are capable of reproducing immediately; was it just a simplification of coding?}, but imagine how convenient it would be, particularly for breeding projects![/quote] Support for safe 2P breeding. No support for giving the males a shorter/no cooldown. On FR, both dragon genders use their magic to create eggs and incubate them. Changing that this late in the game has [i][b]WAY[/b][/i] too many unfortunate implications both ways. It would imply a "women stay in the kitchen" mentality for females and it would make males completely worthless as no lair would need more than one.
Quote:
No support for cherry-picking food eaten as this would ruin the market for anyone who makes their living selling food. Support for randomizing the omnivores.
Quote:
Support for safe 2P breeding.
No support for giving the males a shorter/no cooldown. On FR, both dragon genders use their magic to create eggs and incubate them. Changing that this late in the game has WAY too many unfortunate implications both ways. It would imply a "women stay in the kitchen" mentality for females and it would make males completely worthless as no lair would need more than one.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
@Slayrkin

They're breeding by magic and both need to tend to the eggs and use magic to make their young. Dragons share an equal part in this process. It's not surprising that their breeding involves energy since in some cases the size difference is so massive between dragons. Fae and Imps and breed after all. I've never heard bull and cow used for dragons before that kinda took me by surprise and I had no idea what you meant for a second it threw me so bad. It's to make males not utterly useless compared to the females. Breeding doesn't work like our world's lizards or other reptiles. And these being are sentient in the site lore.

We probably don't have actual auctions in the auction house because it would be very limited. The auction forum allows you to take more than one currency type and mixed payments and items and other things. The crossroads lets you even get your payment safely. And really most dragons and items aren't really gonna be worth having a straight up auction for to begin with.

I'd rather see those of mixed diet have their food taken randomized or weighted chance based on how much of each you have.

@Slayrkin

They're breeding by magic and both need to tend to the eggs and use magic to make their young. Dragons share an equal part in this process. It's not surprising that their breeding involves energy since in some cases the size difference is so massive between dragons. Fae and Imps and breed after all. I've never heard bull and cow used for dragons before that kinda took me by surprise and I had no idea what you meant for a second it threw me so bad. It's to make males not utterly useless compared to the females. Breeding doesn't work like our world's lizards or other reptiles. And these being are sentient in the site lore.

We probably don't have actual auctions in the auction house because it would be very limited. The auction forum allows you to take more than one currency type and mixed payments and items and other things. The crossroads lets you even get your payment safely. And really most dragons and items aren't really gonna be worth having a straight up auction for to begin with.

I'd rather see those of mixed diet have their food taken randomized or weighted chance based on how much of each you have.

I certainly support your ideas, but there are a couple thoughts I have.

I feel like number 2 might be asking a little much. The code might be a bit difficult for something like that when we can just communicate with each other via the AH anyway, so while it'd be really convenient and useful if the staff did go for it, it's certainly not something that I would wager is useful enough to focus on. It's not a priority generally speaking, let's put it that way.

The ability to just list your dragon as a stud would be nice in and of itself, and I imagine the code could be tacked into the crossroads and/or AH pretty easily, at least as easy as a new feature can be to code of course. To answer your question about the males and females having the same breeding cooldown, I'm pretty sure it was something the staff did for the sake of over-population. If the males don't take as much time as females do to breed, it's significantly easier to mass-produce dragons, and the site generates that many more times worth of dragon information than it already does. It becomes a problem a lot faster if anyone is RTB faster, so to allow them appropriate time to grow as a website, the cooldown needed to be evenly balanced, giving them more time to focus on other flawed areas of the site by the by c:

With the diet thing, I wouldn't mind if the feature was randomized or customizeable, as long as the dragons eat more than just the first listed thing. I just hate having certain food stores going empty faster on account of dragons that could eat the foods I have a surplus of, but based on their coding, don't spare me the expense for a particular kind of food. That's a bit of a tough code to get just right though, and sometimes people would prefer to direct as many dragons as possible to the most accessible found source instead of their "fuller" but harder to obtain food sources. So I really do like the concept of having control over this myself, though, as long as the staff agreed that it was worth it to implement such a feature, knowing that it would be a grand new feature altogether.
I certainly support your ideas, but there are a couple thoughts I have.

I feel like number 2 might be asking a little much. The code might be a bit difficult for something like that when we can just communicate with each other via the AH anyway, so while it'd be really convenient and useful if the staff did go for it, it's certainly not something that I would wager is useful enough to focus on. It's not a priority generally speaking, let's put it that way.

The ability to just list your dragon as a stud would be nice in and of itself, and I imagine the code could be tacked into the crossroads and/or AH pretty easily, at least as easy as a new feature can be to code of course. To answer your question about the males and females having the same breeding cooldown, I'm pretty sure it was something the staff did for the sake of over-population. If the males don't take as much time as females do to breed, it's significantly easier to mass-produce dragons, and the site generates that many more times worth of dragon information than it already does. It becomes a problem a lot faster if anyone is RTB faster, so to allow them appropriate time to grow as a website, the cooldown needed to be evenly balanced, giving them more time to focus on other flawed areas of the site by the by c:

With the diet thing, I wouldn't mind if the feature was randomized or customizeable, as long as the dragons eat more than just the first listed thing. I just hate having certain food stores going empty faster on account of dragons that could eat the foods I have a surplus of, but based on their coding, don't spare me the expense for a particular kind of food. That's a bit of a tough code to get just right though, and sometimes people would prefer to direct as many dragons as possible to the most accessible found source instead of their "fuller" but harder to obtain food sources. So I really do like the concept of having control over this myself, though, as long as the staff agreed that it was worth it to implement such a feature, knowing that it would be a grand new feature altogether.
aBcTdao.png
ePOliyb.pngmTAp2ld.pngNlmYDAS.pngq9EEy5M.png
fdUVIfW.png
to PsychoticRomance 70834
ejtsBdV.png

Cute lil flyin' dergin
7fINQj7.gif

Kiwi's Hatchery
zkAFsLJ.png

Tiger head linking to my carrd
xztAvSq.png